Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

I've always been torn when it comes to games like Dead Space. I can stomach jump scares if it's a movie or something, but when you jump out of your skin because of the simplest things, video game jump scares seem far more potent.

im about three hours into it and maybe im a superhero but i dont find it remotely scary. there are no jump scares that phase me since you usually get like a three second warning, like some sounds scittering above you, which put me into caution mode so i dont get taken by surprise.

I may be odd, but I personally find that scarier than jumpscares. Jumpscares are just so... overused? Uninteresting? It's the tension that scares me. I know there is a monster, but I can't find it.

in that regard, dead space isn't scary because it does a poor job at creating tension. there isn't much 'omg wheres the monster' in a game that has such obvious patterns. bioshock had a much scarier atmosphere in that regard.

jumpscares are meant to surprise you. if they don't scare you, then they haven't surprised you. it's hard to get a genuine surprise out of people without a movie theater sized screen and sound system. insidious, for example, had a ton of terrifying jump scares in theaters but they didn't translate at all to dvd.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Ju-On The Grudge.

Pretty close to actual horror from my experiences. You know the jump scares are going to occur at certain scenes. You are fully aware that a demented young boy and/or a typical Asian woman in a white dress is going to pop out. But it still scares you nevertheless.

But the scenarios always confuses me, if your dog has decided to mysteriously bark at a random abandoned warehouse and chase after a ghostly being inside there; don't follow the dog. In fact, get your butt outta there. Either the protagonists are really brave, stupid, or extremely curious for their own good.

Edited by Kaiser Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Only thing that ever comes close to scaring me in games is when I'm in a pitch-black room with headphones turned up to twice the volume they should be and a jumpscare happens, then it surprises me for a second, then it's over. Essentially, the scary maze game is the most I've ever been scared by a game. Although generally nothing in the horror genre ever fazes me.

Although I'd really want to try a horror game on a VR headset, I'd like to see how that type of immersion affects games like that.

Anyways, I beat Second Son a couple days ago... The story was shorter than I was expecting (which I didn't really like), although the gameplay really makes up for it.

I think jump-scare might be the wrong word. It's just jumpiness and surprise, I'm not actually scared or anything as I know it's going to be a scary monster out to kill me.

My issue is that I lose all control of my mouse and my fingers, rendering escaping and ending such a scenario nigh impossible. It's only taken me 3 years to get out of the habit of jumping when I get shot by critical hits (and survive) in Tam Fortress 2 and even then, I still jump in surprise if a Spy manages to backstab me.

But yeah, a lot of horror games and movies have really stupid scenarios where the protagonist just stupid thing after stupid thing. "I know! I heard a noise in the basement! The light is broken down there and I don't have a torch or any sort of weapon, but I'm going down there anyway!"

Describing a game's level of horror ("a very strong feeling of fear, dread, and shock", as defined by Merriam-Webster), tends to depend on the individual's preference (a stance subjective to numerous other factors), as most emotional responses do. As such, I'm sure that popular games within the horror genre, such as the widely-known Slender, may very much be horrific to certain persons, while others may find it little more than a trite, plebeian attempt at scaring the uninitiated (i'm looking at you, ostentatious elitists of the horror genre). "True horror," as has been mentioned before in this topic, is most likely the emotional response the skilled author and horror expert Stephen King describes as Terror in his three types of fear: "Terror, when you come home and notice everything you own had been taken away and replaced by an exact substitute. It's when the lights go out and you feel something behind you, you hear it, you feel its breath against your ear, but when you turn around, there's nothing there...". This is most often accomplished through the use of atmosphere, subtlety, and/or intelligent pacing, in place of overt attempts to overload one's sensory apparatus (or the induction of primal reactions to quick movement, etcetera). As such, I doubt that any game, from Dead Space 1-3 to the Amnesia titles, is True Horror to anyone but its most avid devotees.

Subjectively scariest game I've played, however? The pseudo-Lovecraftian/Poe-esque world of the Amnesia titles, if not tainted by countless play-throughs, contained quite a bit of carefully constructed Terror, but ultimately pale to the desolation and depression that is LIMBO. Though more atmospheric reflection than horror-fest, I found it a perfection of eerieness and an apotheosis of the impression of unseen and indescribable tragedy and horror (if you're a fan of the game, the surrealist, and yet subjectively meaningful, Flash game Coma is definitely worth your time).

Edited by Prodigal

pNNgXax.jpg

I got Amnesia: The Dark Descent from one of the Humble Bundles a while ago. Haven't played it yet, but I've managed to avoid spoilers, so I should get the full effect when I finally do play it.

Silent Hills 2 and 3 will always be at the top of my list of best horror games. The other Silent Hills are alright, but they don't even come close to the fantastic atmosphere of SH2 or SH3. I haven't played Downpour yet though, so who knows, it may surprise me.

Subjectively scariest game I've played, however? The desolation and depression that is LIMBO. Though more atmospheric reflection than horror-fest, I found it a perfection of eerieness and an apotheosis of the impression of unseen and indescribable tragedy and horror.

You should check out the flash game Verge. It's also more about reflection than outright horror, in fact it's a stretch to call it "horror" at all, but its melancholic atmosphere makes me think of it as such.

Yume Nikki is another good one. It's one of the best, if not the best use of minimalism in games that I've ever seen. Definitely worth a look if you're a fan of surreal horror.

Edited by Primis

I've heard many good things about Cave Story from friends, but I've yet to get it. Although from the maybe half hour I've played, I do enjoy it.

Anyways, there was a bunch of news about the new Smash Bros recently... And every times there's new news for that game, I kinda become less excited. Samus/Zero Suit Samus and Zelda/Sheik are now completely different characters? The Wii U version will be coming about out half a year after the 3DS version?

I enjoyed owning my friends as Samus, then transforming into ZSS and owning them even more in Brawl, same with Zelda/Sheik, although I'm far better as Sheik than Zelda.

Also, wouldn't a Simultaneous release be much better? Because by the time the Wii U version comes out, everyone would already have been playing it for half a year. Although I so suppose that fits with the trend of releasing a SUPER MEGA UPGRADED VERSION of every fighting game that comes out every few months...

first for based greninja

@above: the problem with releasing wiiu version half a year later is that smash 4 was supposed to be the game that moved wiius off the shelf. releasing that game six months earlier on a console everyone already has isnt going to be making kids race to the stores and pick up wiius come christmas time to play a game they already have.

besides, weren't the two versions supposed to be basically identical?

as for me im totally siked for smash 4. character roster looks based. i might pick up a wiiu for it if it gets a price drop, just for some couch co-op action.

Edited by ~JC~

For Smash Bros, I am extremely glad that several characters have gotten their Final Smashes replaced. Now Kirby uses the Ultra Sword, Pit uses the Three Sacred Treasures, I'm guessing Charizard and Lucario will be using the Mega Evolutions. The new Final Smashes look much more useful than their Brawl ones, and that only adds to the hype. Speaking of Final Smashes, Mega Man's is so much win.

Also, it's small, and probably no one cares but me, but Sonic looked like he got an upgrade in terms of how his moves can be comboed. Being the only Sonic main around where I live, I am especially excited about this. Maybe it'll get him into a higher tier too!

I had a bunch more thoughts in my blog (hint hint), but overall, I'm actually pretty hyped. This game looks like it'll improve and expand on the core gameplay of the franchise as a whole, and I can't wait till summer comes!

Edited by JiMing

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Huh? No, they've shown mostly footage of Charizard in it's normal form. This trailer was used to reveal it and Greninja. It's implied Lucario and Charizard will be using their Mega Evolutions as their Final Smash, while Greninja seems to have some sort of single-target rushing attack.

Okay, so almost everything about SSB4 was amazing, but I've some small issues.

-Why only 2 songs per stage on the 3DS version? Song don't take up much memory, and they are limited to around 8GB, same as Brawl, yet Brawl managed to have around 260 songs.

-If Sheik is now her own slot, why not just give the moveset to Impa? Sheik was a character who appeared in one game 16 years ago. Impa's been a recurring character, and was the one who trained Sheik!

-While I'm mostly pleased with the new idea of no transformations, but Pokemon Trainer had some unique properties with the mechanic, and now that Charizard's separate, it's sad to see them go.

-What the heck's a Greninja? Has it really earned more of a slot than Mewtwo? I don't play Pokemon, but from what I gather, Mewtwo is a clone of a god. Sounds way cooler to me :/

-I appreciate what Sakurai is doing with the online this time around, but he made a huge mistake. Only Final Destination for serious play? Final Destination is NOT, nor has it EVER been considered the most balanced stage under competitive play. It strongly favors chaingrabers and projectile campers.

-In general, the stages are a huge miss. Every stage is a gimmicky mess for competitive play. I see the new Final Destination idea with a "balanced" version of every stage, but that doesn't help. We just need some solid stages without gimmicks. I get that casuals love them, but really, it looks like only Battlefield, Final Destination, and Skylof (and Halberd from Brawl) will be tournament legal so far in SSB4. Instead of making a new "Final D" version of every stage, why not just give us the option to turn off things like Ridley and The Yellow Devil? Most stage layouts won't be a problem. The reason you could pick about 12 stages that weren't Final Destination in tournaments is because you need unique layouts to create balance. No matter now well balanced the fighters are, a game with movement like that will never be perfect on any stage; hence the reason there are multiple stages!

But, despite these complaints, it looks great overall. Love the idea of Smash Rush, most of the stages look like they will be great whenever I've got a lot of friends over who don't take the game seriously, that AWESOME remix of Skyward Sword's only good music piece, and I like the changes to the returning characters. Though I will probably just turn off the costume movesets (unless they are very well balanced), they look interesting.

Hate the graphical style, but that's just me. Most people like it more than Brawl's.

EDIT: Also noticing how comboing seems to be a huge focus this time around. Hopefully they find a balance between the quick, combos of Melee and the precise combos of Brawl.

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

I'll try to respond to the ones I can.

-Maybe they wanted to cut down on the filesize for download purposes? Because that's a thing now, and it miiiight frustrate 3DS users accustomed to downloading games that are 1, maybe 2 gigabytes mostly.

-Popularity. =P Sheik has also appeared before, and is more familiar to older Smash players.

-Marketing. Pokemon X and Y came out just the end of last year, which means a bunch of new Pokemon players have just come into play. Adding a starter from the game could draw them in. Though Mewtwo does make an appearance in X and Y, and even has two Mega Evolutions...

-Still, Final Destination has always seemed like the stage that the SERIOUS BUSINESS Smash players choose. Though honestly, I prefer Battlefield.

So yeah, those are my take on your questions, could be right, more than likely wrong. =P And Sakurai said ahead of time he was going for a graphical style with more primary colors before Smash 4 was revealed, so....

mewtwo isnt really relevant anymore. he was special because he was the ONLY legendary you could get in those games, but now there are at least fifty other legendaries and a good deal of them are cooler. there are just five hundred million fans who want mewtwo because of nostalgia, even though he plays basically just like lucario does. there's no real reason to include both of them, whereas greninja is super freaking cool -and- brand new -and- has the potential to differentiate himself from not only lucario, but every fighter.

final destination is the worst map i hate it, haha, it's so boring. that one where you gotta stay on the race cars as they're racing is the funnest map ever

mewtwo isnt really relevant anymore. he was special because he was the ONLY legendary you could get in those games, but now there are at least fifty other legendaries and a good deal of them are cooler. there are just five hundred million fans who want mewtwo because of nostalgia, even though he plays basically just like lucario does. there's no real reason to include both of them, whereas greninja is super freaking cool -and- brand new -and- has the potential to differentiate himself from not only lucario, but every fighter.

final destination is the worst map i hate it, haha, it's so boring. that one where you gotta stay on the race cars as they're racing is the funnest map ever

i never thought i would say this but i agree with (almost) everything you said.

Lucario is, essentially, Mewtwo in every way, except less floaty. If Mewtwo actually got in after Lucario was announced, I would have been surprised. Though I was so happy that Luucario got added, that was my main in Brawl.

also yes. Big blue was really fun, but my favorite stage had to be Spear Pillar. Because lasers. And Final Destination is a bleh stage. I used it when playing with a friend for a specific gametype where only poeballs would spawn, we were both Pokemon Trainers, and we could only use the pokeballs to deal damage. And we had to take the attacks.

It was fun.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

even though he plays basically just like lucario does. there's no real reason to include both of them, whereas greninja is super freaking cool -and- brand new -and- has the potential to differentiate himself from not only lucario, but every fighter.

Lucario is, essentially, Mewtwo in every way, except less floaty. If Mewtwo actually got in after Lucario was announced, I would have been surprised. Though I was so happy that Luucario got added, that was my main in Brawl.

*faceplams through skull*

Lucario and Mewtwo are about as similar as Pikachu and Mario. No, really. Don't believe me? Pikachu and Mario both shoot circles for their StandardB. Both circles have elemental damage.

That's about as similar as Lucario and Mewtwo. They both have a chargable circle for their StandardB. Other than that, they are not remotely similar. Really, I can't even think of two other attacks the two have that even vaguely resemble each other. Their physics and handling are completely different. And just like Mario and Pickachu, their StandardBs have different properties.

Lucario was not a replacement for Mewtwo - Mewtwo has unfinished data in Brawl. He was left out due to both time constraints and lack of space on the disc. I really doubt ANYONE would say they were clones had Mewtwo been in Brawl. However, since he wasn't, and Lucario was, people believe him to be a "replacement".

Mini-rant over :P

Legendary status? I thought he was some kind of clone of their god or something.

To be fair, a friend of mine who played Mewtwo in Melee mained Lucario in Brawl, so...

And besides, someone asked if Mewtwo was going to be in Smash Bros. during the E3 presentation of X and Y. The developers didn't say anything, but apprently Sakurai said 'We are thinking about it.' more than likely, I've been duped, so please take that with a grain of salt. =P Though Mewtwo has gotten some focus again, being catchable in X and Y and having two different Mega Evolutions. Therefore, it's not implausible right now that he'd return, he actually has a greater chance of returning now than he did during Brawl.

As for favorite stage? For some reason, I really liked the Halberd. It's just fun and it has LASER CANNONS and GIANT CLAW ARMS.

Edited by JiMing

My favorite Brawl stages are probably Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), and Lylat Cruise. Melee had Fountain of Dreams, which is my favoritest stage ever, because of the beautiful design and music.

When playing casually, I like some gimmicky stages, like WarioWare and Pictochat, but Spear Pillar is just awful IMO. The second floor just allows players like me to survive any damage.

I don't think Mewtwo is necessary as a fighter; I'd rather get some new characters added in (Agnes Oblige).

As for favorite stages... I've always been partial to Battlefield, the Temple stage, Corneria, and Norfair.

Which fighters do you all usually main? Dr. Mario and Toon Link were the ones I used most in Melee; in Brawl I used Toon Link, Kirby and Lucario the most.

In 64, I play Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Link. That's the game I don't take seriously at all.

In Melee, I play Marth, Fox, and sometimes Captain Falcon, and when goofing around, Jiggs, Roy, and Ganondorf.

In Brawl, I main Marth and Falco, second as Snake, Douglas Jay Falcon (TiersR4Queers), and sometimes Toon Link.

After watching GameXplain's analysis video on Greninja, they pointed out an interesting fact... They've revealed a stage in the footage right under our noses. Apparently, the scenery in two parts of the clip is from Drasna's chamber in X and Y, as well as the Elite Four Entrance in X and Y. They said this could mean the stage will shift from each Elite Four member's chamber, and could also serve as mid-stage bosses, sending out Pokemon to fight. I'm.... Really kicking myself for not seeing that. =P You know, despite not seeing it coming at all, I think Greninja looks like a very fun character to play as, he looks to have a speedy fighting style that relies on trickery and teleports. Who knows? He might end up being one of my favorite characters!

As for mains... Sonic and Toon Link for life. Yes, I know I'll get lots of flack for playing Sonic (my friend loves to make fun of me at every opportunity) but I find him legitimately fun to play. I've dabbled with Kirby and Pit a bit too, but not to the same extent as the above.

Also, rejoice, hardcore players! The 3DS version runs 60 frames per second even with stereostopic 3D. Wow, that is really some feat. They said that some Assist Trophies will run at 30 frames, but those don't factor in competitive play so it doesn't matter.

Legendary status? I thought he was some kind of clone of their god or something.

ur font is such a pain to read lol

anyway, sort of. mewtwo was a clone of mew, who they thought created every pokemon. that isn't true, though. mew is just super rare and super old, and mewtwo is super powerful. that's all there is to him.

Edited by ~JC~

I found this thing of beauty in the tamagotchi nintendo direct. http://i.imgur.com/EW0MDR2.png

Edited by Timelady Gallade

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

EDIT: Also noticing how comboing seems to be a huge focus this time around. Hopefully they find a balance between the quick, combos of Melee and the precise combos of Brawl.

-> Implying brawl had any sort of combos, excluding the rediculous amount of chain grabs.

What game were you playing where mewtwo plays like lucario.

Mewtwo is the third most popular pokemon, after charizard and Pikachu, he got 2 Megas in x and y Just like charizard and charizard is in this game, mewtwo was in a the latest pokemon movie.

If anything, lucario isn't relevent anymore, but they put him in.

On another note, I play Ganondorf in melee, Yoshi in 64 and G&W in Brawl.

But I mostly play project M now, because I can actually play as Yoshi, Ganondorf, G&W, Luigi, Bowser and Mewtwo and they all are fun to play as. (INB4 the PROJECT M Is Melee with more characters!!1!!1!! when in reality, only fox, falco Captain falcon, marth and Shiek play like Melee in it.)

My Favorite stages are: Brinstar Depths, Big Blue, PictoChat and Termina Bay.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

-> Implying brawl had any sort of combos, excluding the rediculous amount of chain grabs.

OH HITSTUN CANCELING!

Brawl had a different way of doing things. Yes, they could cancel hitstun with airdodges, but there was lag after every airdodge. Would you prefer I use the term "followup"?

Actually, Lucario's just as relevant as Mewtwo and Charizard, he got a Mega Evolution too, you know. It was shown off in the Nintendo Direct even!

For those of you who want a Melee-esque game, sorry, Sakurai doesn't agree. He regrets Melee, saying he made it 'too difficult'. While that seems like a good thing to some, making a highly competetive game alienates the target audience, the younger or more casual fans of Nintendo. Say as many bad things about them as you want, there's more money to be made by targeting them than the competitive scene. He has however taken measures with SSB4 to appeal to both crowds. Characters aren't as floaty, the gameplay moves considerably faster, and combos seem to be a thing again. Even the online is split between just having fun and SERIOUS BUSINESS. No wavedashing, but Nintendo hates that and they took great measures not to implement it in Brawl, so....

Edited by JiMing

I'm not trying to ignore a console war fanboy debate, but I am legitimately curious - How is the WiiU outselling the Xbox One when it is a worse video game platform in EVERY WAY IMAGINABLE?

It is complete outmatched in every technical specification, while next to no AAA games are on it because the processor is so weak. Yet how come it is selling more than the Xbox One?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I'm not trying to ignore a console war fanboy debate, but I am legitimately curious - How is the WiiU outselling the Xbox One when it is a worse video game platform in EVERY WAY IMAGINABLE?

It is complete outmatched in every technical specification, while next to no AAA games are on it because the processor is so weak. Yet how come it is selling more than the Xbox One?

*FACEPLAMS*

The Wii U does not have a processor that is "so weak". It's different. I'll admit, it was downright stupid of Nintendo to go with PowerPC instead of AMD, and it is a bit weaker than Xbone, but not to the extent everyone believes. Devs just don't want to take the time to optimize games for it.

While the Xbone is stronger, Nintendo has done some things right. They went from the worst online network imaginable in the 7th gen to one that is now on par with it's competition... and free. The thing that turned me away from considering PS4 was the mandatory PSN+. Paying to play online is just not worth it to most people.

Additionally, what do you mean "no games"? Sure, Nintendo has a lack of shooters, but there are way more games on Wii U than on Xbone at the moment. I won't try to say it's a great library, because it's not, but it's got a few, and there's plenty more coming. Most of these won't appeal to the fans of shooters, but clearly those guys are content with the 7th gen for now.

your new is showing

What game were you playing where mewtwo plays like lucario.

Mewtwo is the third most popular pokemon, after charizard and Pikachu, he got 2 Megas in x and y Just like charizard and charizard is in this game, mewtwo was in a the latest pokemon movie.

If anything, lucario isn't relevent anymore, but they put him in.

they trying hard to make lucario one of the new mascots, he's very relevant. mewtwo is only the 'third most popular pokemon' if you only ask people who played rby first. those people are becoming a minority, if just a vocal minority.

m not trying to ignore a console war fanboy debate

that is ALL you are trying to do

and because the xbone is outclassed by the ps4 while the WiiU offers something different.

They went from the worst online network imaginable in the 7th gen to one that is now on par with it's competition... and free.

like you said, the WiiU isn't a shooter console. shooters are the most common and popular online shooter and is largely what makes the online experience worth experiencing.

personally i hate playing online, single player for days. i just like being devil's advocate.

Edited by ~JC~

your new is showing

I've been playing brawl since launch. I played brawl so ###### much (like 200+ hours ) I got sick of the game and it's complete lack of balance or even an attempt at being a coherent fighting game, made even worse by a guy who took the game way to seriously and would chain grab you with any character who had it, and played characters based on whatever the tier list was at the time) Maybe "your new is showing" since you actually think brawl has any sort of combos (jabs do not count), since, as stated before, you can cancel every single amout of hitstun with an air dodge.

they trying hard to make lucario one of the new mascots, he's very relevant. mewtwo is only the 'third most popular pokemon' if you only ask people who played rby first. those people are becoming a minority, if just a vocal minority.

Mewtwo was in the latest movie, Mewtwo got two mega-Evolutions, just like charizard, who is easily the second or first most popular pokemon of all time. the only thing Lucario got was one mega evolution. Mega evolution were chosen based on Pokemon Popularity, and the two most populour pokemon got 2.

Show proof that Lucario is more populor then Mewtwo, you cannot use smash 4's inclusion of lucario, because mewtwo has not been proven to be not in the game. Also explain why would gamefreak waste their time on making a movie and two mega evoloutions for a pokemon that is no longer relevent?

OH HITSTUN CANCELING!

Brawl had a different way of doing things. Yes, they could cancel hitstun with airdodges, but there was lag after every airdodge. Would you prefer I use the term "followup"?

Yes that term is more appropriate.

Actually, Lucario's just as relevant as Mewtwo and Charizard, he got a Mega Evolution too, you know. It was shown off in the Nintendo Direct even!

For those of you who want a Melee-esque game, sorry, Sakurai doesn't agree. He regrets Melee, saying he made it 'too difficult'. While that seems like a good thing to some, making a highly competetive game alienates the target audience, the younger or more casual fans of Nintendo. Say as many bad things about them as you want, there's more money to be made by targeting them than the competitive scene. He has however taken measures with SSB4 to appeal to both crowds. Characters aren't as floaty, the gameplay moves considerably faster, and combos seem to be a thing again. Even the online is split between just having fun and SERIOUS BUSINESS. No wavedashing, but Nintendo hates that and they took great measures not to implement it in Brawl, so....

Exactly, I'm not anti-lucario Mind you, I like him, in fact I think he's pretty cool and made for a unique fighter and I predicted his comeback, what I am against is this guys ridiculous amount of hate on mewtwo, even though, as you just said, mewtwo got a mega evoloutn (2, mind you) and was also in the latest movie.

I could care less for wavedashing, but I disliked brawl for being as slow and broken it was. I play other fighting game, some of which are obsencly broken, Like MVC3, but brawl took it to a whole new level, like an MVC2 sort of level. Brawl made the good characters way too good, and the bad characters unplayable.

As a guy who barely had any time playing melee until Brawl came out, I can tell you that, even though I didn't get to play melee until much after brawl came out, melee was better because of the hitstun and physics of the game, it felt more like a fighting game because of it. This new game looks great and I can't wait to play it, because, as you said, they made the game faster and combos, and they have namco helping balancing the game, so most likely the game won't be broken to the level of brawl. my only complaint of the new game, is why turn every stage into final destination? There should be battlefield versions as well, since a lot of characters, like ganondorf, need platform to do well against projectile-heavy characters, like link or samus.

ALSO on another note, I have to ask, what the ###### do you mean by "serious" buisness and "having fun" Are you implying you can't have fun without Items and stupid stage hazards? I like playing smash without those because the game feels like a fighting game when you turn them off, and I have lots of fun with fighting games, is it wrong tht I want smash to be more like other fighting games? not to say I hate stages with hazard (big blue is one of my favorite stages) or items mind you, it's just that I enjoy playing more without them, by this kind of logic, Street fighter is not a fun game because it doesn't have items dropping from the sky and the stage isn't out to kill me.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

Really? REALLY? You have to swear at me through the filter and accuse me of being anti-competitive? Fine, since it was so offensive to you, let me explain myself. Sakurai and Nintendo want the games to be a party game of sorts, where any competition is friendly and having stupid stuff like the fans or Bob-ombs allowed. However, the competitive players of Smash ARE stereotyped as the 'Stop having fun guys' who look down on casual players and demand 'No items, Fox only, Final Destination'. THAT is what I mean by 'serious business'. At the end of the day, even if you legitimately enjoy playing competitively, it's still not as friendly as the 'intended gameplay' of Smash Bros., which is just run around and do as many stupid things as possible to have fun. Smash will never be more like a fighting game, I can guarantee that. Competitive players are very lucky that Sakurai even acknowledges their existence in the first place, much less implement measures to please them.

Not even getting into issues of graphics, power, or any of those sorts of technical things, I imagine there are three main reasons.

1. The Wii U is farther along in its lifespan, and is backwards-compatible with the Wii, so it has more games in general. While Nintendo's difficulty attracting third-party developers means that this gap could close rapidly, for the time being the Wii U's library dwarfs the Xbox One's.

2. As an addendum to the above, the Wii U has a larger number of high-quality exclusives. Nintendo's high-quality first-party software has always been its greatest strength, and the Wii U is no exception. A lack of typical "AAA" games means little to the success of Nintendo consoles: just as an anecdotal comparison, Mario Kart Wii has sold 35 million copies since its release in 2008 (on the Wii, a similarly "underpowered" system), while GTA IV, released the same year on multiple platforms, has only sold 25 million copies based on the last available sales data. While the Xbox One has its own quality games, many of those are shared with either the PS4, PC, or even the PS3 and Xbox 360. This gap, too, will narrow as the Xbox One comes into its own, but not nearly to the same degree.

3. It's significantly cheaper. This makes a big difference, especially with the Christmas season more than half a year away. Many people aren't prepared to drop $500 on an entertainment machine unless they have a compelling reason to, whereas the Wii U is only $350 (and comes with a free game to boot). That's a much more digestible purchase, especially for families who are upgrading from the Wii, who can trade in their console and keep all their old games and hardware for use with the new system.

The Wii U had a head start on the Xbox One, and while it's true that Nintendo didn't do a great job taking advantage of that over the past two years, by now it's a burgeoning system coming into its own, while the competing systems are to a great extent just starting out. Things will certainly even out once the Xbox One (and for that matter, the PS4) start to deliver some of their most highly anticipated games (no doubt the release of the next Halo will cause a huge surge in Xbox One sales), but for the time being the Wii U offers a more compelling package for most buyers.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother