Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

found bionicle heroes for the 360 for $2

it isnt even worth $2

jk i played it for like 5 minutes and was appalled at how strong the auto aim is and turned off the machine i'm sure i'll go back to it and get my moneys worth (l0l)

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Heroes on the Wii was the worst version, the point-to-aim controls were not only barely functional, but they also constantly fought with the auto-aim and everything else in the mechanics. Compared to that, the other console versions were playable.

Honestly the DS version should have just been ported to consoles, it was one of the best FPSes on the DS, which isn't really saying much, considering the quality of most of the FPSes on DS, but still, it was at least decent.

Edited by Raku Ichijo

Yeah, I'll give the DS version the credit of being fun. If only it had online multiplayer. Speaking of which, DS and Wii online shuts down in a little over 24 hours.

Then there's the GBA version, which I personally feel is a bit better than the console version (I only played the PS2 version, which had the worst graphics, but otherwise played the same as the other versions).

Anyone ever stumble across the Mobile Phone version?

The Bionicle console games were all pretty awful, but Heroes was something else.

i'm still happy it was a terrible game because it made it dirt cheap and i was able to play it back when games were too out of reach financially, and not knowing better found it fun (this was like... one of the first games i actually sat down and played that was my own, everything else was like... Super Mario, Mario Kart, Golden Eye on friends' and friends' parents' systems [supernintendo and N64]).

(okay the rest of this has nothing to do with the above quote i got a little carried away haha)

either way i find it hard to get into any shooter games anymore, mostly 'cuz i tend to really dislike the stories to them (like, every CoD story is so so terrible and just super ugh... and Halo's is better IMO but it's still a drag, like i read the books and only ever found myself caring about the side characters while secretly hoping John would just go away so an actual character could take his place). i used to play them because i liked the fast action and liked making things explode, but after a few years they all just end up bleeding together to the point where only one ever stood out gameplay-wise and that's Homefront, and even that one had a blah story to go along with it (and even then my interest was due to Homefront's way of using vehicles and the balance felt decent, along with how the bolt-action weapon worked that made it a bit more challenging and rewarding).

whereas I get -really- into the characters in like, Dark Souls (and II) to the point where i like really don't want to get to a certain boss because in DS1 i'd rather the game end with me joining that boss' covenant and hunting down other players in the name of that Deity.

i like games with world building and mythologies and histories and legends and events that make the world feel deeper, that give some more character to the characters that inhabit the world, that helps shape the motivations and desires and wants of the characters you come across that can lead to characters succumbing or overcoming events -- like, the guy who frees you from the cell at the start of DS1 has the potential to become a more important character to the narration, someone who actually serves as -almost- a foil to the character you create and play (foil insomuch as a foil can exist in a video-game RPG in relation to one's character). Or Gwyndolin (that boss with the covenant), who has a rather simple story to them on the outside, but while the story has been written before and executed before, it has it's own take with this particular deity who stands watch over their downtrodden father's waning Kingdom and protects their father's tomb with their life. (Using gender-neutral pronouns for Gwyndolin as it's not entirely clear if Gwyndolin actually identifies as a male, female or neither or anything else: item descriptions refer to Gwyndolin as a male, but supposedly Gwyndolin's sister -- someone close to them -- refers to Gwyndolin with female pronouns, though I don't think Gwyndolin chooses to refer to themself in the game with any pronouns, but I haven't gotten quite far enough to hear Gwyndolin's speaking parts). It's not a perfect story by any means, but it is one of the better ones I've experienced when it comes to stories in video games. Especially popular video games. (and i might be biased just because i like how it's told and presented, with tons of room for interpretation about certain things and not spoon-fed to the player in excruciatingly verbose detail)

i dunno if any of that made sense really, i kinda started typing then got all "gwyndolin is best deity" (even though im not exactly far enough to know whether or not Gwyndolin's a boss due to like, something terrible done, but i don't think? i can go on but wont b/c that'd be too spoilery even for a game that's been out for a long while now and kinda gets off video game discussion and more "this specific game's story" discussion >.>; ).

anyway that's my weirdly worded wall of wonders.

• Upvote 1

gwyn is the final boss and also the easiest in the game. hope you're good at parrying.

edit: oh is that you spink how are you doing!

somehow i'll survive, even if i am terrible with parries despite playing melee characters (unless this dude splits into two magic-based ranged bosses that constantly spam AoE magic in your face in a tight, enclosed space).

Heroes on the Wii was the worst version, the point-to-aim controls were not only barely functional, but they also constantly fought with the auto-aim and everything else in the mechanics. Compared to that, the other console versions were playable.

Honestly the DS version should have just been ported to consoles, it was one of the best FPSes on the DS, which isn't really saying much, considering the quality of most of the FPSes on DS, but still, it was at least decent.

Eh, I found Heros DS to be a horrile FPS. Mainly cause I didn't really like the controls much and the Feild Of View was too short (I normally playing on max FOV on MC.)

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

I've never played Bionicle: The Game. I really should, I can get a copy easy enough.

DS really wasn't a good system for FPS games, as they were all rather bad compared to pretty much anything on a console/PC. But compared to other FPSes on the DS, Heroes was among the better ones.

Edited by Raku Ichijo

are we talking about bad bionicle games

why don't we talk about the first one. yes. that one

BIONICLE: THE GAME

*the third one.

It went Tales of Tohunga > Matoran Adventures > BIONICLE: The Game.

That game was insane. Until just over a year ago, I actually deemed it impossible to 100%, because I could never find a single lightstone in Pohatu's level. I dunno what I did differently in my most recent run, but I got them all, despite having never been able to previously in either the PS2 or GCN versions. I even went back to my old save files. I think the stone just didn't spawn or something.

BIONICLE: The Game has actually gotten lower reviews than Superman 64. When doing an LP of it, I spent TWO HOURS just replaying Tahu Nuva's level over and over again to get all the lightstones. It's just so poorly designed, because you cannot lose the race or else you have to recollect those darn stones, and the Rahkshi cheats horribly, and the whole game is an ugly glitchy mess with bad acting and horrible writing.

And yet, I actually kind of like it. It had a style that suited BIONICLE much better than Heroes did, and at least it had some level variety and some gameplay other than walking around holding the shoot button while invincible.

And at least it was over in two hours, if you didn't care to 100% the game, unlike Heroes, which drags on for ~12-14 hours just to beat the main "story".

Eh, I found Heros DS to be a horrile FPS. Mainly cause I didn't really like the controls much and the Feild Of View was too short (I normally playing on max FOV on MC.)

The controls took a while to get used to, but I adjusted. I'll agree that the Field of View wasn't too spectacular and was sort of prohibiting at times.

are we talking about bad bionicle games

why don't we talk about the first one. yes. that one

BIONICLE: THE GAME

I am obligated to post this:

Such epicness. Much beauty. Wow.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

If I had to choose between BIONICLE: The Game and BIONICLE Heroes, I'd pick the former every time. If nothing else, the level designs are nicely varied and it's somewhat challenging; it had the potential to be a pretty good game.

By the way, if anyone here has a Green Man Gaming / Playfire account, they're giving away free copies of Rush Bros. if you link it with your Steam account. Pre-existing members only, though.

I still own Bionicle The Game, and try to replay it now and then since I enjoy bad games, though that one part in Onua's level with the rahi that instakilled you, that is a pretty stupid part and really should never of been thought up.

Edited by Site Lurking Youkai
I'm just ToaD

I still own Bionicle The Game, and try to replay it now and then since I enjoy bad games, though that one part in Onua's level with the rahi that instakilled you, that is a pretty stupid part and really should never of been thought up.

that could be said of the entire game, though.

• Upvote 1

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

that could be said of the entire game, though.

True, but those Rahi are especially cheap, and they have the glitchiest hit-detection ever.

onua's level was just where you were in a minecart and had to lean to either side right lmao

That was Pohatu's. Onua's was the one right after it, with the more basic platforming and gameplay mechanics.

Pohatu's was actually kind of fun.

i enjoyed bionicle the game but to be totally honest that's because i was 7 and didn't know better

Myself too, though I was 8 when I got it.

Heck, I still enjoy the game. It's awful, but it's got the same appeal that movies like Kingdom of the Spiders do. It's fun. You can't take it seriously, but it's fun.

Though playing Heroes at age 10, I could tell the game was lacking.

Ahhh BIONICLE: The Game, I remember the day I got this.

I returned it to the store I got it from the next day. :P

Because I beat it in a few hours, and it was super frustrating to try to get all the lightstones.

It really was terrible, huh. I did enjoy it slightly because I was a lot younger (I don't remember the age) but I totally couldn't figure out how to beat Makuta at the end I just ended up having to look it up.. I still don't remember how it went and nor do I really want to remember :P

Heroes was the most boring thing ever

I just

I liked the free demo I had on my computer as a kid but when I finally get the game years later

bam it stinks

It was disappointing :P

I thought it might be slightly fun without the hero mode but you can't turn it off and just makes everything so gosh darn easy

Oh well though, I guess a good BIONICLE game just wasn't meant to be...

for consoles that is

mnog was great. i also like VNOG, though it was different from other games

and hard and grindy but i enjoyed it kinda.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

for consoles that is

And Maze of Shadows on GBA and Heroes on DS were alright, but MNOG was by far the best IMO.

for consoles that is

i just played VNOG up until about chapter 6, and it isn't hard or grindy at all. lmao. what i don't like about it is how much walking you have to do in the latter half of the game, once garan moves out to the boonies.

MNOG 1+2 were great. i prefer 2 cos i couldn't make sense of 1 when i was 5, but i did think it was great when i played it later.

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

@Kit - What? John-117 is the character. His relative blankness is what provides a blank canvas for the player and also makes sense given the origins of the Spartan-II project in which little kids were indoctrinated into living killing machines. All the others - largely add-ons. And in Halo 4, they actually made a plot/story point about him being a mindless automaton or a feeling human being.

Also, I've been playing Dawn of War since I bought it on Steam for 50% off. Going to have to thank my friend for the gift card. I have to say, it's an absolutely stunning game, even for something as old as 2004. On normal, the game basically devolves into building up as many units as possible and then rushing over the enemy's base in a tide of power armour and boltguns. My only problem is that I have a trackball and I can't zoom in or pan the camera, I believe.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

@Kit - What? John-117 is the character. His relative blankness is what provides a blank canvas for the player and also makes sense given the origins of the Spartan-II project in which little kids were indoctrinated into living killing machines. All the others - largely add-ons. And in Halo 4, they actually made a plot/story point about him being a mindless automaton or a feeling human being.

John-117 isn't even that blank for gamers to write themselves into the story, as far as the game is concerned.

The character has very little to no personality at all and, I mean, his comrades had a lot more personality than he did throughout the series (and most of them were minor characters who only appeared in the books). He never grows, he never changes, he never develops: he's stagnant.

Kelly and Joshua, also Spartan II's, at least had personalities that were somewhat unique to themselves despite how they were raised (though neither are very prominent characters, or are really developed much in the book series which... I probably shouldn't be taking into consideration, since we're talking about the game and, in the game story, John-117 is worse than in the books themselves).

He's just this emotionless, faceless, fearless, green armored fellow who has no emotional connection to any characters except for maybe Cortana (and that's mostly seen in the fourth and third games). John doesn't joke, he's not curious about anything, he has no dreams, no ideals, doesn't contemplate anything, lacks any sort of internal conflict or traits that make him even relatively human, all he does is shoot the things he's told to shoot and does it super well... and that's all there is to him (besides for the occasional moments where he seems concerned for Cortana's safety... but those aren't really common moments). He's a very stagnant, dull character who persists solely on his ability to shoot things fast and do amazing superhuman feats while looking cool doing it.

Meh, I guess that what when you have a protagonist who hardly talks ingame. I'm really curious about Emile though. He seems like he's the type of guy who is willing to kill civilians if given the chance to.

Edited by Kaiser Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Origin

We don't use that name in my house.

... I can see why. Haven't been able to log in (sometimes I get a message that the servers are busy), and honestly the only reason I moderately care about it is because FREE VIDEO GAMES!!! Kinda wish they'd do it through Steam, though. Steam is nice.

Also, the Wii U is getting an adapter for Gamecube controllers to go along with Smash Bros. Arguably the best accessory Nintendo has made in the past 10 years.

Also, the Wii U is getting an adapter for Gamecube controllers to go along with Smash Bros. Arguably the best accessory Nintendo has made in the past 10 years.

Agree, though muscle memory betrayed me when I tried using a GCN controller in Brawl, so there's very little chance I'll use one in SSB4.

What are all your thoughts on the tournament, though? Having free-for-alls with items on will be... amusing, considering the skill of the players involved. Happy that the final match will be 1-on-1 with items off.

Origin

We don't use that name in my house.

... I can see why. Haven't been able to log in (sometimes I get a message that the servers are busy), and honestly the only reason I moderately care about it is because FREE VIDEO GAMES!!! Kinda wish they'd do it through Steam, though. Steam is nice.

Isn't Origin glorified malware/spyware? I remember that being one of the several reasons not to bother with it.

hElbrZ6.gif