Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Guys, actually Amiibos have boosted stats at higher levels, even without equipment... I only plan to use them to do fun stuff with my sister/friends though... I'm probably gonna end up with a handful of them to display/use for fun.  :P

Also, the 3DS version's online has felt VASTLY superior to Brawl's to me. I've had so many laggy Brawl matches but a lot more not laggy Smash 3DS matches...

Does anyone feel like it's cheating to use a hammer on the collect all custom moves/equipment challenge?  :P

I did hear about the Fox amiibo, but technically it wouldn't exactly be a fair fight but still pretty funny, anyone see that picture of a Fox amiibo in front of a gamecube controller? 

I'm still waiting until Christmas to get Smash bros. for WiiU but I'm hecka excited for it...

I feel so much better at smash bros. now then I was in my younger days in Brawl...

No more sideways wiimotes for me  :P

Edited by PowerMiner

Does anyone feel like it's cheating to use a hammer on the collect all custom moves/equipment challenge?  :P

Yes. The only thing you get is a trophy. What's the point of getting a trophy you didn't earn? I wouldn't be able to look at it without feeling like I failed at 100% completing the game.

I accidentally used a hammer in Brawl when I borrowed it from a friend at first, and felt so terrible. When I got the game myself, I deleted the data and started over so I could actually 100% the game. It's a permanent loss, and I feel like not having all the hammers there next to the challenge board means you failed and can never complete the game.

Basically, I'm better than that, and I just have to prove it :P

But I've been one random hat away from 100%ing Smash 3DS for quite some time now.

• Upvote 1

Going with Amiibos, I've heard some talk going around in some smash bros sites about making Amiibo-only tournaments. 

So then it is about how you trained your Amiibo, not about how good you are. Which sounds incredibly interesting to me. I'd watch that.

As well, the first 4v4 smash tournament was recently. Was really fun to watch, even if it was a little campy at times. The fact it became almost like a MOBA was really cool. Using Rob for long-range support, Game and Watch as a carry for charge-bucket teams, supported with a Samus or someone.

I really suggest watching it, it was really cool.

Anything that involves stat customization instantly makes balance irrelevant.

spoken like someone who doesn't play MMOs!

I completely forgot about MMOs. But, I was mainly talking about games where customization is rather unnecessary (Smash) or just lacking in boundaries (most of the sports games I've played).

I remember in one of the NFL games I had a while back, I had a team of custom characters with all maxed-out stats. They were so OP, I really didn't have to do anything to win.

Also, the 3DS version's online has felt VASTLY superior to Brawl's to me. I've had so many laggy Brawl matches but a lot more not laggy Smash 3DS matches...

Smash 4's online is very superior, but it's still pretty sucky. About 1-2 of every 10 matches, I hit some pretty bad lag, which is much, much more than pretty much every other fighter I play.

Anyways, thinking about getting into some WRPGs, anyone have anything they'd recommend?

Edited by Terminus

fallout new vegas has god tier writing and weapon design, is the most immersive RPG you'll ever play. great character choices and tons of content, but not very cinematic.

fallout 3 on the other hand has an action movie plot with lots of epic moments. it's all very juvenile. do with that as you will.

skyrim is very shallow but is fun in spite of itself.

morrowind on the other hand immersive and passionately made (bethesda loves their games they just have incompetent devs) and definitely a 10/10 but the graphics have aged poorly and graphics mods might be taxing. if you get the few essential mods to patch up some oversights this will be the best experience

dragon's dogma has phenomenal gameplay and level design and replayability. it's also very difficult. really fantastic game.

the witcher series is very immersive and has great character options, but combat is hit and miss and largely disappointing. the game world is very easy to enjoy

dragon's age origins and the first mass effect were well done RPGs but the later installments were a little dumbed down

system shock 2 and deus ex are classics, cheaply available, and essential experiences.

if you're actually looking for games to deeply immerse yourself in a character the older DnD games are worth a shot. baldur's gate 2 or icewind dale.

and while not technically WRPGs, the souls series takes inspiration from western dungeon crawlers. great games if you're smart.

Edited by Archer Vonn

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Pretty much the same as Vonn's.

I'd suggest Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (GET THE FAN PATCHES), too. Planescape: Torment is widely hailed as being one of the best games of all time. I've got a softspot for the first seven Ultima games, too, and they're worth a look if only to see how the genre evolved. Same with Wizardry, as well as Might & Magic.

hElbrZ6.gif

I've played Mass Effect 3, lost interest in it because I was playing it right around when The Last of Us came out and I was getting into Uncharted, and it just felt pretty much exactly like those two games gameplay-wise, and I never got into it as much as I did the other two games.

I also have Skyrim, although I only ever play it with so many mods enabled that I'm note even sure what it is anymore.

From what I've seen from watching friends play, Fallout looks interesting. Might give it a try.

And I also really want to try the Souls games. Played Dark Souls with some friends a while ago where we swapped the controller every time someone died. The controller went around the room multiple times, and it was pretty fun.

• 3 weeks later...

May play Mother 3 in the future. Still need to finish Earthbound first, though.

Anyways, with the year coming to a close, what were everyone's favorite games of 2014? Danganronpa 1&2 were probably my overall favorites, with Bayonetta 2 and inFamous: Second Son coming up right behind it, and even though I haven't spent much time with it (okay, I've logged over 40 hours in one week between work and college finals, but I haven't actually had it for too long), Final Fantasy XIV on PS4 is shaping up to be pretty great.

Also, after finally experiencing Smash 4's 8-Player Smash with 8 actual people, I can say with confidence that it is the ultimate party game.

I don't have a Wii U nooooooooooooo why i wanna try 8-player smaaaaash

But anyways, right now my favorite game of 2014 is a toss-up between SSB4 or Omega Ruby. Both cover familiar territories but are so made of win throughout I still have a great deal.

Also, if I buy a larger SD Card capable of actually holding some data, which 3DS game should I download. Right now, looking at the most recent releases, Ace Attorney Trilogy and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse both stood out to me. I'm just gonna ask if anyone knows whicg title provides the most bang for their buck, because I cant chooooose!

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

im kinda blue because the only games released in 2014 that i actually bought this year were smash and alpha sapphire, and neither were tremendously impressive so it feels weird having to pick a favourite between the two. like, i guess smash, but tbh they're 'new' games but old experiences. i guess smash?

2014 was kind of a weak year for me, but that might be because I haven't had the cash for Kerfuffle, Bayo2, or Hyrule Warriors.

Favorite game from the year is probably Stick of Truth, but even that was severely flawed (a lack of replay value and the immensely short length, as well as a few bugs). Tears to Tiara 2 was interesting from the bit I've played, but I haven't really gotten a chance to dig into it (over 70 hours, good lord)

hElbrZ6.gif

Heeeyyyy guys and gals I'm back.

Whoa whoa whoa Please put the desk down! Thank you. *whew* Now, I tried asking this question before, and it died almost instantly. So, I will be very specific.

I play nothing M-rated, I own a Wii and Xbox 360, but I do not have steam or Xbox live. So, the question is-

Are there any good Skyrim-type games out there not M-rated?

Going back to Smash 4 3DS (shaddup i dun have a Wii U), I found that on online matches, I have the greatest chance of winning when using Sonic.

Yeah, the former industry icon who's become the laughingstock of the internet and games as of late, especially since Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyroc was such a massive failure.

And I am most adept with him. Must have something to do with how he was my main in Brawl, but yeah, I know the kinda chuckle people get out of hearing about someone who seriously uses Sanic Hegehog in Smash. =P Also do okay with Dark Pit, and there I go again playing characters people hate. =P

This game is still fun to play, just got sidetracked by Omega Ruby for a bit there..... How much did that 1.04 patch change things up anyways? I know some characters got nerfed, others were buffed, and all exploits were removed.

Sonic's cool, it's just, they need to stick to non-outsourced games for him. It's saying something when Rise of Lyric is worse than '06...

I have to disagree with that statement. Boom was glitchy, unfinished, poorly planned out, and not the right gameplay style for Sonic (a slow paced beat-'em-up?) But Sonic '06... that's probably the single stupidest video game I ever played. Sonic Boom has nothing that compared to the "Find the Captain" mission, or asking Shadow to answer "math" questions to please a mathematician, with each question having it's own loading screen. Sonic '06 is the ONLY game I've ever played that stops, loads for about a minute, displays ONE text box, then stops, and loads for another minute to get into the game.

I compare Sonic Boom to Godzilla '98. It's certainly bad, downright horrible. But I feel Sonic '06 is more comparable to The Room or Sharknado. They didn't do a SINGLE thing right about that game. I can't tell you how many times I heard the phrase "It's no use!" because I was stuck in an infinite loop, or how harsh I cringed at Elise reviving Sonic by kissing him. Heck, having the DEVIL as the main villain, and having him murder Sonic on screen? Having Silver debate whether or not it's justifiable to kill someone to save the world? Sonic '06 can't even be called a trainwreck, because that gives the game too much credit.

I own both games, and I own crud like Superman 64 and Night Trap. Sonic '06 is, by far, the worst video game I ever played!

Yeah, but some are more forgiving to 06 because while it was a trainwreck, it's an amusing trainwreck. The stupid physics and glitches makes certain things hilarious to watch, like this ROCK LAUNCH. Or how about escaping the bounds of the Sonic vs. Silver fight, only to have Silver escape too and chase you through town? I mean, the game is still awfully made, but seeing just how badly the game doesn't work is just really funny to watch.

I haven't seen those kinda hilariously bad glitches from Sonic Boom, just the.... Bad ones, I guess. The glitches that are there are just the ones that frustrate people, like respawning outside of a barrier, or getting stuck in a wall. 

Isn't Sonic Boom technically less broken than 06? I'm not sure, but the point is that Sonic 06 HAS a fun factor, laughing at how the game is utterly broken. It's not the intended fun factor, but it's there. Sonic Boom just looks boring.

Course, this is gathered from my experiences on watching videos from Youtube, so I'm probably not the best authority on the matter huh. 

Yeah, but some are more forgiving to 06 because while it was a trainwreck, it's an amusing trainwreck. The stupid physics and glitches makes certain things hilarious to watch, like this ROCK LAUNCH. Or how about escaping the bounds of the Sonic vs. Silver fight, only to have Silver escape too and chase you through town? I mean, the game is still awfully made, but seeing just how badly the game doesn't work is just really funny to watch.

I haven't seen those kinda hilariously bad glitches from Sonic Boom, just the.... Bad ones, I guess. The glitches that are there are just the ones that frustrate people, like respawning outside of a barrier, or getting stuck in a wall. 

Isn't Sonic Boom technically less broken than 06? I'm not sure, but the point is that Sonic 06 HAS a fun factor, laughing at how the game is utterly broken. It's not the intended fun factor, but it's there. Sonic Boom just looks boring.

Course, this is gathered from my experiences on watching videos from Youtube, so I'm probably not the best authority on the matter huh. 

I can agree with that. I did compare Boom to 'Zilla '98 and '06 to The Room for a reason. The Room is almost inarguably a worse movie than 'Zilla, but it's more entertaining because it's so bad. I can certainly say '06 is a lot more fun than Boom, but it's not a better game. It's just so much worse that it's fun :P

Hmm... That might actually be a good comparison. xP

Though, 06 also had redeeming music, and I just can't recall any of the tracks I've heard on videos. (The gameplay style also doesn't really help that much there...)

06 being the Room really makes sense, though, because it's about the same sorta infamy. =P

Though, 06 also had redeeming music, and I just can't recall any of the tracks I've heard on videos. (The gameplay style also doesn't really help that much there...)

06 being the Room really makes sense, though, because it's about the same sorta infamy. =P

HIS WORLD and it's remixes were amazing (and I am not normally a fan of rap), but I don't recall any other music from the game standing out. Not saying it was bad, just that I cannot remember it :P

I am disappointed that the original version of HIS WORLD wasn't in SSB4!

Radical Train has pretty good music, and of course there's the Crisis City music. I hear the stage is pretty bad but the music is pretty great. 

Seriously, it seems regardless of quality, if it's a main Sonic game, the soundtrack is incapable of being less than decent, and has a high chance of being great. 

By the way, who's better to play? Marth or Lucina? I'm pretty sure Pit and Dark Pit are almost 99.9% the same, and I don't care about Mario/Dr. Mario at all. =P But I think there's a big enough difference between Marth and Lucina, so who is overall better to use?

By the way, who's better to play? Marth or Lucina? I'm pretty sure Pit and Dark Pit are almost 99.9% the same, and I don't care about Mario/Dr. Mario at all. =P But I think there's a big enough difference between Marth and Lucina, so who is overall better to use?

Depends.

If you're good at spacing your attacks, so you almost always manage to get tipper attacks with the blade, Marth. Much more damage, much better, but you need to be able to properly space your attacks so you can get tipper damage.

If you can't do that, Lucina, since the blade has even damage distribution overall.

i prefer shulk though

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think I'm nearly good enough to be spacing attacks right and such. Erm....... Lucina it is, then? Awww man, I really liked using Marth's white palette swap too....... I'll just make do with Lucina's Tharja colors then. =P

Ehks, you're probably happy to hear that apparently the 1.04 patch for SSB4 pretty much buffed every aspect of Shulk. Like, his attacks to more damage and I'm pretty sure his debuffs aren't as drastic anymore. Sooo.... Are you REALLY feeling it now? =P 

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think I'm nearly good enough to be spacing attacks right and such. Erm....... Lucina it is, then? Awww man, I really liked using Marth's white palette swap too....... I'll just make do with Lucina's Tharja colors then. =P

Ehks, you're probably happy to hear that apparently the 1.04 patch for SSB4 pretty much buffed every aspect of Shulk. Like, his attacks to more damage and I'm pretty sure his debuffs aren't as drastic anymore. Sooo.... Are you REALLY feeling it now? =P 

It made me incredibly happy when his FAir landing lag got reduced.

Granted, his NAir still has zero lag on landing but his FAir is great for getting low-percent kills when paired with Jump and an off-stage opponent.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

HIS WORLD and it's remixes were amazing (and I am not normally a fan of rap), but I don't recall any other music from the game standing out. Not saying it was bad, just that I cannot remember it :P

I am disappointed that the original version of HIS WORLD wasn't in SSB4!

Silver may have sucked in '06, but his theme was amazing. I really like Dreams of an Absolution. =P

I haven't admittedly heard too much of the actual soundtrack, but the character themes and Crisis City definitely are awesome.(Plus even in the good games, I can't remember every track, and I haven't played 06. =P)

Remembering every track in a game is kiiiinda hard to do, unless it's a rather short game with unique tracks all the way through. =P Shovel Knight has an expertly crafted soundtrack from Jake Kaufman (whom I now consider one of my favorite game composers ever), and that's honestly my only exception to date. I mean, really, that game has a great, great soundtrack, and the fact it comes with a near-flawless platformer makes things even sweeter.

As for Sonic, well.... Sonic Colors. Say what you will about whether it was really that great, but that game has one of THE BEST soundtracks for a Sonic game ever. There's the famous Planet Wisp theme, but I love Terminal Velocity Act 1 sooooooooooo much, and Part 2 of the Final Boss is also a fantastic theme, even compared to non-Sonic boss themes. 

Also, playing as Pit and Dark Pit makes me happy with how they've changed since Brawl. Back then, I got to spin a bow around and yell like a banshee. Now? I can dash into people's faces and uppercut them right there. Like, Upperdash/Electroshock Arm is infinitely more satisfying to pull off than the Angel Ring.

Edited by Toru Acura: The Saboteur

Remembering every track in a game is kiiiinda hard to do, unless it's a rather short game with unique tracks all the way through. =P

I assure you I remember every single piece of music from Super Mario Galaxy. That game had such a great soundtrack. Shadow of the Colossus also comes to mind, but admittedly, much of the game had no music.

Sad thing is Pit and Dark Pit had the most potential to be different :P

Marth is overall better, but considering the massive amount of skill required to effectively play him, and the fact that he is now one of the worst characters in the game, I'd recommend Lucina. Marth just isn't effective enough to be worth learning. Heck, the tier list places them right next to each other. If you want to play Marth, try Melee, where he was totally OP, or Brawl, where he was perfectly balanced between being good and taking skill to play.

Remembering every track in a game is kiiiinda hard to do, unless it's a rather short game with unique tracks all the way through. =P

I assure you I remember every single piece of music from Super Mario Galaxy. That game had such a great soundtrack. Shadow of the Colossus also comes to mind, but admittedly, much of the game had no music.

Marth is overall better, but considering the massive amount of skill required to effectively play him, and the fact that he is now one of the worst characters in the game, I'd recommend Lucina. Marth just isn't effective enough to be worth learning. Heck, the tier list places them right next to each other. If you want to play Marth, try Melee, where he was totally OP, or Brawl, where he was perfectly balanced between being good and taking skill to play.

This early on, I'd rather not trust tier lists cause the game has only been out on Wii U for like a month. It'll take some time before people can definitively declare who's the worst in the game, and from what I hear the difference between top and bottom tier isn't as drastic as in previous games. Also, I totally played Marth a lot in Brawl, and had a lot of fun. He almost replaced Toon Link as my secondary! (But then Smash 4 happened) Main reason i picked him up was just how.... Graceful and dance-like his moves were. Iunno, it was just super fun playing someone who didn't feel all rough-and-tumble or something.

And so I decided to try out Lucina in For Glory Smash, and..... By some fluke, managed to get away with five kills (against a Greninja, Little Mac, and Bowser, who are supposed to be leages better than Lucina/Marth) and no deaths. I suuuuuuck at Smash and I'm usually lucky to get away with two kills in this mode, so now I guess I try to figure out how I dunnit. =P Probably because I didn't bum rush everyone like I usually did, and held back at a safe distance while the up-close guys were in each others' faces. Somehow I got the brilliant idea of baiting people too, letting the Mac waste his KO Punch when I jumped above his head and airdodged, and using the usmash when Greninja tried to dair over my head.

My opponents weren't exactly geniuses though, they didn't capitalize when the Bowser shattered my shield with his fsmash, and didn't seem to be great at recovering. So I suppose that for that round, I was slightly smarter than I normally am and my opponents were a little dumber than normal. =P

This early on, I'd rather not trust tier lists cause the game has only been out on Wii U for like a month.

they can still be a helpful indicator of how good a character is, even if they aren't 100% precise. :)

By some fluke, managed to get away with five kills (against a Greninja, Little Mac, and Bowser, who are supposed to be leages better than Lucina/Marth)

new, super powerful characters (i include bowser since he was buffed so drastically) tend to have a lot of people who leech onto them who aren't very good at the game who want a pocket character. especially little mac.

anyway, changing gears from smash, i got dragon's dogma: dark arisen as a christmas gift. really a wonderful game that slipped out just at the end of the last generation- i deleted a long paragraph of fanboying, but trust me, it's a great game for any action, fantasy, or RPG fan and if you have a ps3 or 360 you should definitely pick it up.

Got Kerfuffle on Wii U for Christmas. Really fun game.

anyway, changing gears from smash, i got dragon's dogma: dark arisen as a christmas gift. really a wonderful game that slipped out just at the end of the last generation- i deleted a long paragraph of fanboying, but trust me, it's a great game for any action, fantasy, or RPG fan and if you have a ps3 or 360 you should definitely pick it up.

I keep holding out hope we'll get another one, since even the basic game was great. Doubt it's going to happen at this rate, though.

hElbrZ6.gif

This early on, I'd rather not trust tier lists cause the game has only been out on Wii U for like a month. It'll take some time before people can definitively declare who's the worst in the game, and from what I hear the difference between top and bottom tier isn't as drastic as in previous games. Also, I totally played Marth a lot in Brawl, and had a lot of fun. He almost replaced Toon Link as my secondary! (But then Smash 4 happened) Main reason i picked him up was just how.... Graceful and dance-like his moves were. Iunno, it was just super fun playing someone who didn't feel all rough-and-tumble or something.

Marth looks spectacular (though I do prefer his sleeker look in Brawl), but the way he plays is awful. His hurtbox was increased in size, making his attacks riskier, and he's about the same speed he was in Brawl, which, in a game that is faster than Brawl, is a huge nerf. The sweetspots were made even harder to hit, ESPECIALLY the DAir's meteor Smash. They totally ruined Marth.

I don't think the difference between top and bottom is as huge as it was in Brawl, but I think if you take off the top and bottom few in both games, Brawl was better balanced. Brawl had some outliers, some HUGE outliers, but the rest of the game was fine IMO. I admit it's early to judge 4, but right now, I feel it has very little balance.