Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

I'm kinda on the fence now about Metroid Prime Trilogy- I'd really like to play them, but I hate motion controls... Really wish they were optional, especially since the first two were on GC.

Anyways, thinking about trying Other M, any thoughts on that game?

Other M is an absolutely terrible game.

The gameplay is, at best, generic. The game is linear as heck (in a METROID game). The story is terrible. The writing is awful, and full of plot holes. Samus, as a character, was completely botched. There is absolutely no atmosphere- in a Metroid game, a series famous for its atmospheric storytelling. It is nothing but a waste of time.

Don't buy it.

hElbrZ6.gif

I'm kinda on the fence now about Metroid Prime Trilogy- I'd really like to play them, but I hate motion controls... Really wish they were optional, especially since the first two were on GC.

Anyways, thinking about trying Other M, any thoughts on that game?

Other M is an absolutely terrible game.

The gameplay is, at best, generic. The game is linear as heck (in a METROID game). The story is terrible. The writing is awful, and full of plot holes. Samus, as a character, was completely botched. There is absolutely no atmosphere- in a Metroid game, a series famous for its atmospheric storytelling. It is nothing but a waste of time.

Don't buy it.

I wouldn't call the gameplay great, but I still enjoyed it. Controls and story were the things I hated most. I could deal with everything else.

I feel like I'd be able to deal with most of Other M's problems because I'm not really a Metroid fan- start with the worst of the series, and It'll only get better from there.

Also, another Persona 5 trailer finally came out, revealing some more of the characters and showing off a bit of the world and gameplay. SO EXCITED!

Edited by Terminus

So what games have you guys picked up lately? Had quite a bit of free money recently, so I glurged a lot on getting some games I've been eying.

Picked up these:

-Sonic Generations (360)
-Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (360)
-Dark Souls II: Black Armor Edition (PS3; bit of shelf wear. Still a nice display piece.)
-Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin preorder (PS4)
-Arc the Lad Collection (PSX; Discs only, missing Arc Arena)
-Luminous Arc (DS; cart only)
- Langrisser I & II (PSX; limited edition. Missing the emblems/pins, though.)
- Macross: Eternal Love Song (PC Engine CD)

- Luminous Arc III: Eyes (DS)

Spent about 150 on all this. Pretty good haul, I feel.

hElbrZ6.gif

Only thing I've picked up recently is Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 on Vita, but I'm picking up Dead or Alive 5: Last Round when it comes out next week, and I'll probably get a few more games in a couple weeks because of my birthday.

Oh, I did get the Shulk amiibo I preordered yesterday. Average for an amiibo, kinda disappointing that this is probably going to be the only Xenoblade figure ever, though.

Haven't posted here in ages, considering I had been off video games for a long while now.

Although...

For some reason I can't shake off the habit of getting back into Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels. The gameplay is repetitive as heck, especially with the useless starter cards you get initially, but I never finished the game on Expert mode and that is something I intend to do this time around. Bought some of the packs/decks, and have worked out a dragon-based deck fast enough and reliable enough for most of the opponents I've faced so far. I'm about 40% into the Normal 5D's tower atm, and I go at the snail-like rate of one subtower a day. 

Anyone else played this game before?

Onto other things, I sorta follow up with my brother's progress on Destiny, which I think is one of the most entertaining FPSMMORPG's out there (not that that's a category of its own; it's sort of all the categories Destiny could come under :P). I miss gaming to a large extent, but as a third-year engineering student you don't get enough free time to work out, have a hobby AND play video games  :/

Guess that's what the summer's for then...

:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

If there's one thing I like about being a 3D modeling and animation student with a focus on game development, it's all the research I get to do. And by research, I mean playing games. :P

(Seriously, though, ever since I started working with 3D modeling, I've been looking at models in games really closely. Counting polygons, looking for modeling shortcuts/mistakes, etc.)

Also, anyone know if Destiny is cross-platform, or if servers are locked to PSN/XBox/PC? A few of my friends are trying to convince me to get it, but they're all on 360 and I'd be on PS4.

If there's one thing I like about being a 3D modeling and animation student with a focus on game development, it's all the research I get to do. And by research, I mean playing games. :P

(Seriously, though, ever since I started working with 3D modeling, I've been looking at models in games really closely. Counting polygons, looking for modeling shortcuts/mistakes, etc.)

Also, anyone know if Destiny is cross-platform, or if servers are locked to PSN/XBox/PC? A few of my friends are trying to convince me to get it, but they're all on 360 and I'd be on PS4.

Server-locked unfortunately. The developers said it would give next-gen players too much of an unfair advantage over first-gen players in PVP. He mentioned something about how much easier it would be for a next-genner to "snipe down an enemy that is on the other side of the map" than the other way around, due to the enhanced graphics capabilities of next-gen consoles.

:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Mark: THE LAST GUARDIAN

US Serial Number: 85700141 Application Filing Date: Aug. 09, 2012

Register: Principal

Mark Type: Trademark, Service Mark

Status: Abandoned because no Statement of Use or Extension Request timely filed after Notice of Allowance was issued. To view all documents in this file, click on the Trademark Document Retrieval link at the top of this page.

Status Date: Feb. 16, 2015

Publication Date: Nov. 20, 2012

Notice of Allowance Date: Jan. 15, 2013

Date Abandoned: Feb. 16, 2015

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85700141&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Looks like Sony might've taken Last Guardian out back a la Old Yeller.

EDIT: Turns out Sony got back the rights to the Trademark. So it might not be dead just yet.

Edited by Roland Deschain

hElbrZ6.gif

Anyone hear about The Evil Within DLC coming up? I haven't seen the trailer yet, but I'm already 'meh' on it--Haven't even finished the vanilla game yet, and I got it at launch. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a really fun game. But my will got sapped from finishing it after getting frustrated on that Marry-go-round level a few months back.

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I just bought myself a CECHA01 PS3. Here's to hoping it won't YLOD on me.

Get ready to have to replace the glue keeping the motherboard in place because of how hot those things get. Not sure why Sony used such cheap materials on a 600 dollar machine (and were losing money even at that price!), but they did.

EDIT:

Yo, anyone got any tips on how to stagger Knight Artorias out of his power up in Dark Souls' DLC? I've mostly been hitting him with the Dragon Tooth and blocking/tanking most of his hits, since my build doesn't really lend itself to dodging it. Been able to get him down to around 60%-40% HP for the most part, before he starts wrecking my HP bar.

still a less hard boss than Bed of Chaos, tho

nevermind, already beat the game.

Edited by Roland Deschain

hElbrZ6.gif

I'm starting to get to the point in MM3D where I need to start thinking about what I'm going to do with my final pass-through (I'm getting ready to start the Great Bay Temple, meaning I just have it, Ikana Canyon, and the Anju-Kafeki sidequest to go, plus some misc. Heart Pieces I'll deal with once I have the first two things complete). Here's my current plan--any suggestions on more things I can fit in? I want to help as many people as I can before going up to face Skull Kid again.

Things I'm Definitely Doing:

1.) Save the Deku Princess (re-fight Woodfall Temple boss)

2.) Bring Spring back to the Gorons (fight Snowhead Temple boss)

3.) Save/hatch the Zora Eggs

4.) fix the problems with the Great Bay Temple

5.) fix whatever problems are going on in Ikana Canyon (only been to the graveyard so far, so IDK what's fixed by beating the boss there, and I don't want spoilers!)

6.) Save the Old Woman from the Thief (night 1)

7.) Save Romani from the Others. (night 1)

8.) Protect Cremia from the milk raiders (night 2)

Things I'd like to do, but I'm not sure if I'll have time:

*Save Koume/Kotake (whichever one's in the Mysterious Woods)

*Save the man in the Swamp Skulltulla House

*Help the Golden Seahorse save its mate

*Anju-Kafeki??? (Not sure if I'd be able to slip all the steps into the process of doing everything else.)

*Lay the spirit of the Stalchild Captain to rest

*Play the songs in the Milk Bar for Gorman?

*Raise the chicks at Romani Ranch with the Bremen Mask

*ensure the dancer dude's spirit is laid to rest by teaching the dancing sisters his dance

Things I wish I could do, but definitely don't have time for:

*reassemble all of the Great Fairies

*assemble Don Gero's orchestra

Like I said, I want to save/help as many people as I can, particularly if it's fixing a problem that Skull Kid caused (thus why Koume/Kotake are on the list even though I don't particularly like them). Any advice/suggestions on maximizing my helpfulness for the final pass? (Keeping spoilers to a minimum, please!)

Edited by Flipz

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Wait, why are you trying to do as much as possible on the last 3-day cycle? Does that affect anything in the game?

Nope, it's solely for roleplaying purposes; I know that theoretically I can start a 3-day cycle and skip straight to the final boss without helping anyone, but I want Link to embody the spirit of heroism on the pass-through that ends up being what actually happens. :P

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Wait, why are you trying to do as much as possible on the last 3-day cycle? Does that affect anything in the game?

Nope, it's solely for roleplaying purposes; I know that theoretically I can start a 3-day cycle and skip straight to the final boss without helping anyone, but I want Link to embody the spirit of heroism on the pass-through that ends up being what actually happens. :P

Okay, gotcha. That's the kind of thing I'd consider doing in a Let's Play or something :P

So, has anyone else here heard of No Man's Sky?

Yep. It's one of the few indie games I've been interested in for PS4. The idea of near-infinite procedurally-generated worlds sounds really cool to me, and I hope it gets pulled off well.

Anyways, I got Final Fantasy Type-0 HD yesterday, it's decent so far (aside from the fact that it looks like an old PS2 game, and the acting is pretty bad), but I have a big problem with the combat. There are instant-kills you can perform by pressing the attack button when you're in the right place at the right time, but otherwise it's just "hold square to attack", and that's just incredibly dull. I was hoping for more from this gameplay-wise, but it's turning out to be kinda a disappointment.

My taste in music is very strange, as it lies mostly in video game soundtracks. I've always known this, but it's never been more obvious than today: I have about a dozen tracks by Shoji Meguro stuck in my head.

I like video game music, but it's not all I listen to. Mostly Nintendo games, but there's a few others here and there that have good soundtracks.

• Upvote 1

My taste in music is very strange, as it lies mostly in video game soundtracks. I've always known this, but it's never been more obvious than today: I have about a dozen tracks by Shoji Meguro stuck in my head.

My personal favorite game soundtrack is Halo. I'm an xboxer.

I like video game music, but it's not all I listen to. Mostly Nintendo games, but there's a few others here and there that have good soundtracks.

Mhm. I love nintendo music. I have listened to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time like, 20 times.

:afro: :afro: :afro: 

I'd probably say Yoko Shimomura is my favorite. Super Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts, Mario & Luigi, all great stuff. Also love her work on Final Fantasy XV from the demo.

Also, got my Club Nintendo Smash Bros. soundtrack a little while ago, been enjoying that when I'm doing stuff at home. It doesn't have everything I wanted (that would've required about two more discs), but it's still a pretty good selection of tracks, IMO.