Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Well, it seems like Silent Hills has been cancelled, and the PT demo for it is being pulled in a couple days. Not surprised, since Kojima seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, but it's still kinda disappointing. I'm not a horror game person, but I liked PT and would have liked to play the full game.

Edit: Silent Hills cancellation confirmed, also Konami isn't on the New York Stock Exchange anymore. What in the word (besides the Kojima stuff) is going on over there?

Edited by Terminus

As an avid and semi-pro player of F-Zero GX, I can assure you playing with my heart like that is gonna get people hurt. That said, at least someone is trying to fool people despite how bad of an attempt it is.

Edited by Hina Kagiyama
I'm just ToaD

Wow, another F-Zero game is up for preorder at GameStop, and Nintendo hasn't even announced it yet?

That's the only real flaw I see in the fake cover, otherwise it looks like a standard generic cut-and-paste GS placeholder box. Might be able to trick mallgoers who aren't up to date with Nintendo a announcements, though.

Anyways, speaking of GameStop, I might be getting a used 360 bundle from there later sometime soon for $150, know it comes with the first Halo port, might pick up the other Halo games as well.

FNAF 4 is coming out.

I hope "The Final Chapter" turns out to be an actual description of the game, and not just the title. The game's gotten too big for it's own good.

Bethesda and Valve have recalled their "Paid Mods". The PCMASTERRACE rejoices.

So glad this happened. Wouldn't have minded if the modders got more of the money, but 75% of the money going to companies who really had no involvement in making the mods is really too much.

• 2 weeks later...

So, during my hiatus, I:

-Beat Fallout 3 as a Very Evil character, yet ended up getting the good ending by mistake. I have the GOTY edition, though, so Broken Steel lets me keep playing.

-Saw the Black Ops 3 trailer and became quite hyped.

-Renewed my interest in the BlazBlue series.

-Downloaded a large number of SWEPs in Garry's Mod.

Back for a nostaliga trip, I guess.

Well, got my Xbox 360. I'm liking Halo a lot more than I was expecting (I'm a huge fan of not aiming down the sight in shooters), and I've liked a few other things I've tried on there. I'm pretty happy with it, although coming from years of a mostly PlayStation/Nintendo environment, whe whole dashboard interface just feels terrible. I'm really not a big fan of the ads, and the dashboard feels really clunky to navigate through, especially compared to PS's XMB or Nintendo's tile-based system. Also I can't decide which is worse, the Nintendo store or the Xbox store.

All in all, good system, terrible interface.

Also I can't decide which is worse, the Nintendo store or the Xbox store.

Am I the only one who finds the PSStore terribly clunky and awkward to navigate? :P

I've only had problems finding certain games, and ones with similar names.

But in other news, Fallout 4 is apparently going to be 'playable' behind closed doors at E3, and a new Assassin's Creed is going to be announced on the 12th. Also, I downloaded Guacamelee from the PS store and I really enjoyed it. Especially when I used the plethora of Tostada variants.  ;)  :inlove:  :blink:

Edited by Marvel Nui

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

My soul has been eaten by Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

No, but really. Monster Hunter is just so amazing, and this is coming from someone who logically, shouldn't like playing a Monster Hunter game whatsoever. Several mechanics that I probably would find annoying or strange just hearing about them, work so well when actually playing. 

The biggest thing is that there is no health bar. Usually, that should mean I would get frustrated at not knowing what damage I'm doing. But the thing is, the monsters, after certain points, WILL react to damage. You can scar the hide of a monster, break off a claw or wing, or my favorite, sever off the tail. And then, the monster will start drooling, it'll become slower, more sluggish, and all of its actions will seem half-hearted such as roars being low pitched or the monsters tripping over after charging. Yes, it's hard to get used to, but it became one of the defining traits of the gameplay to me. You don't have to be told by numbers that the monster is at half health or whatever, if you're playing smart, you will FEEL the monster wear down and become exhausted before death.

Another thing is that the combat isn't fluid or fast. Even weapons that have fast attack rates have a lot of commitment to their movements, you can't make an action and decide to dodge out immediately after starting it, so there is very little room to waste your movements. And this combined with monsters that can be fast, powerful, and take lots of damage to kill, I will admit, it's very intimidating..... But by failing over and over, you learn. You learn which combo paths are optimal for most DPS, you learn the amount of time each moves takes, but most importantly, you learn what the monster does, and how long their actions take, and what their combos are. Monster Hunter is an action game, but it is no God of War, you have to be defensive, play methodically, until that opening comes in, at which point you take it and wail on the monster mercilessly.

Then there's the title. Monster Hunter. ProJared pointed out very well in one of his reviews, you aren't just fighting the monster, you first need to look for it in the map and keep track of it as it moves from area to area. That is why the title is what it is. You keep track of your prey, and chase it down, you are hunting the monster.

All of this just creates one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've ever had. Yes, I may struggle at first. But then I learn the tells of the monsters, I learn to take Antidotes against a poison monsters or Flash Bombs against a flying one, I learn when to take the opportunities for damage. And at the end of the hunt, the monster collapses, and I am hit with an incredibly overwhelming feeling of accomplishment. The game doesn't have any stats, you do not level up by getting experience points. Your progression comes from taking on continually tougher enemies, and using materials carved from their carcasses to make new weapons and armor. And the only way to do that is to get better at the game.

Yes, this is a rant I've had bottled up for a few months now. Currently in G2 online, but real life prevents me from getting to G3. It doesn't really matter though, this game is a blast and I am glad Blade sent me the demo all those months ago.

(Some favorite monsters are Seregios, Gore Magala, Zinogre, Brachydios, Kushala Daora, Seltas Queen, Rathian, in no particular order)

• Upvote 2

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

i'm of the mindset that if you're complaining about the dashboard or interface of a video game console, you're not playing enough video games on it.

Perhaps, but my second PS3 (the one that I have easier access to) overheats when running games, so all I can do is stare at the dashboard :P

Gonna fix it up this summer.

Anyone know if there are any good 360 controllers out there kinda like the Dualshock? The controller is one of my biggest problems with the 360 so far, it feels a tad small and the d-pad is just terrible. So mainly just looking for a bigger controller with a real d-pad.

Also ordered Destiny on PS4 from Amazon for under $30, should be arriving Friday. Looking forward to it.

the 360 controller is actually quite a bit larger than the dualshock, and i understand it was also a lot more popular. you might have an easier time finding ps3 controllers like the 360s, but the other way around? nah

edit: that isn't to say there can't be any, just good luck finding one

Edited by Archer Vonn

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I was comparing the 360 controller to the DS4, and... I was actually surprised at how much bigger the DS4 is than the DS3.

Anyways, I don't really care about button layout, I'm fine with the standard 360 setup, but I'd just like something a bit wider with a real D-pad.

EDIT: I just noticed why the 360 controller feels so small. It's the Battery Pack in the back. Getting a wired controller should fix that small feeling.

Edited by Terminus

Should I get Witcher 3, even though I haven't played 1 or 2?

Should be able to get it, since it's supposed to be fairly newbie friendly. GOG and Steam have the first two games on sale pretty frequently, and the 360 version of the second game is pretty cheap nowadays.

Most that I'd suggest is reading The Last Wish at least, so you know who a few characters are.

I was comparing the 360 controller to the DS4, and... I was actually surprised at how much bigger the DS4 is than the DS3.

Anyways, I don't really care about button layout, I'm fine with the standard 360 setup, but I'd just like something a bit wider with a real D-pad.

EDIT: I just noticed why the 360 controller feels so small. It's the Battery Pack in the back. Getting a wired controller should fix that small feeling.

Honestly, barring the d-pad, the 360 controller is probablythe best controller from last gen. As someone with GIANT HANDSSSS, the wired controller was a lot more comfortable than the weightless, cramped hold of the DS3 and the honestly awful triggers on that thing. The wireless one is pretty alright too.

hElbrZ6.gif

i only ever noticed the 360 controller was comfortable when i was waiting for its godawful loading times. the ds3 was just as comfortable if you held it loosely and most devs were wise to the complaints of the trigger and swapped it's commands with the better shoulder buttons anyway. 

it's a shame the boomerang controllers never made it to shelves, those things looked sweet.

GIANT HANDSSSS

i see what you did there, hodor

Edited by Archer Vonn

Well, switching to a wired Xbox controller feels a lot better. Now my fingertips/knuckles aren't constantly touching the battery pack. Really don't have any complaints about it now, except the d-pad, but it'll suit my purposes. It's not like I'll be playing much more than Halo and a few other exclusives on it anyways, and maybe I'll get around to the Assassin's Creed games now since my PS3 can't handle the game installs due to a tiny HDD.

Also, Destiny is decent, but... Why is it constantly online? I get being able to do campaign missions with friends online, but so far I've been completely solo with no human interaction besides killing people in PvP. I guess I was just hoping for a bit more on the MMO side, as it really doesn't feel much different from any other FPS I've played.

Well, switching to a wired Xbox controller feels a lot better. Now my fingertips/knuckles aren't constantly touching the battery pack. Really don't have any complaints about it now, except the d-pad, but it'll suit my purposes. It's not like I'll be playing much more than Halo and a few other exclusives on it anyways, and maybe I'll get around to the Assassin's Creed games now since my PS3 can't handle the game installs due to a tiny HDD.

360 generally has the better versions of multiplats. Bayonetta's release, while no longer the best version of the game since the Wii U port came out, is the biggest example off the top of my head- runs at roughly twice the framerate of the PS3 version.

hElbrZ6.gif

Is there any confirmation as to what Bethesda will be showcasing at E3 other than Doom?

And, yes, it should be straight from the horse's mouth.

If it's Fallout 4 or TES:VI, I'll be happy.

Nah, just Doom 4.

Ugh. Bethesda, stop being tight-lipped.

I NEED MAH FELLERT.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Is there any confirmation as to what Bethesda will be showcasing at E3 other than Doom?

elder scrolls fans are so spoiled. skyrim had such higher production values than fo3, they have an MMO out, and still they want a new game before fallout 4.

elder scrolls fans are so spoiled. skyrim had such higher production values than fo3, they have an MMO out, and still they want a new game before fallout 4.

Well I mean, if the last games in my series were TESO and Skyrim? I'd be clamoring for news on a good game too.

hElbrZ6.gif

Everyone's talking about Fallout 4, and I'm just here waiting for the campaign preview for Halo 5. 

Anyway, I just started Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel on my 360, and I started fighting Deadlift. Anyone have any advice on taking him down? I've died, like, a dozen times already.  

"Ten thousand futures have I looked at. A hundred thousand. And in only one does mankind finally unite, and flourish...and survive. Only one. Doomworld."

210pxthe_master_doctor_doom.jpg

Everyone's talking about Fallout 4, and I'm just here waiting for the campaign preview for Halo 5. 

Anyway, I just started Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel on my 360, and I started fighting Deadlift. Anyone have any advice on taking him down? I've died, like, a dozen times already.  

Halo, you say? Eh, I've always been more of a BioShock/CoD3 (and only 3)/Half-Life guy. Eh, to each his own. Speaking of, isn't BL: TPS XBO/PS4/PC only?

Speaking of which, I got BS: Infinite for Christmas, but I can't get into it. It's just sorta... bleh. I loved the first BioShock, but Infinite bores me. Any idea why?

P.S. never played BS2. Just so you know, in case 2 is fairly close to Infinite.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

BioShock 2 is more similar to the first game than Infinite is.

As for why Infinite bores you, I don't know. I think the gunplay is less awkward than BioShock (though still not perfect). The vigors are, like the plasmids, a mixed bag: some are good, some don't seem to be very useful. But plot wise, I think Infinite blows BioShock out of the water (I swear that pun was not intentional), and considering how much I like BioShock, that's saying something. Of course, not everyone agrees with that, but I think Infinite is incredible.

So basically, I don't know. It's just one of those things, i guess. For example, I think Morrowind is kind of boring and annoying. Different people like different things, and sometimes, a game just doesn't click with you.

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

Well I mean, if the last games in my series were TESO and Skyrim? I'd be clamoring for news on a good game too.

bro nobody in the elder scrolls community has any problems with skyrim.

@above: infinite was poorly made and juvenile.

Edited by Archer Vonn

Halo, you say? Eh, I've always been more of a BioShock/CoD3 (and only 3)/Half-Life guy. Eh, to each his own. Speaking of, isn't BL: TPS XBO/PS4/PC only?

Speaking of which, I got BS: Infinite for Christmas, but I can't get into it. It's just sorta... bleh. I loved the first BioShock, but Infinite bores me. Any idea why?

P.S. never played BS2. Just so you know, in case 2 is fairly close to Infinite.

Pre-Sequel is on 360 and PS3 as well.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif