Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

So, has anyone else other than me played UNDERTALE? Let's discuss it.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

nope, totally haven't played it at all, and totally not doing a genocide run right now.

Funny guy. Anyway I have beaten the game in a pacifist run, have not yet done a Genocide run.

I plan to do a pacifist run first (Completed) than hardmode, than a genocide run, than a neutral run, than another pacifist run.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

pure_muscle.png

nope, totally haven't played it at all, and totally not doing a genocide run right now.

Funny guy. Anyway I have beaten the game in a pacifist run, have not yet done a Genocide run.

I plan to do a pacifist run first (Completed) than hardmode, than a genocide run, than a neutral run, than another pacifist run.

you mean to use 'then'. 'than' is for comparisons; 'then' is for sequence.

is anyone else skeptical of how pokemon go is actually going to work? can't help but feel it's been really oversold as to what it's actually gonna be.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

So Nintendo's not gonna put any more Game Boy games on the 3DS VC. If I hadn't already lost my faith in Nintendo's business strategy, I'd be losing my faith in their business strategy right about now.

I don't see the issue, considering we still have no clue what the NX actually is, and we're long overdue for the next 3DS iteration.

So Nintendo's not gonna put any more Game Boy games on the 3DS VC. If I hadn't already lost my faith in Nintendo's business strategy, I'd be losing my faith in their business strategy right about now.

I don't see the issue, considering we still have no clue what the NX actually is, and we're long overdue for the next 3DS iteration.

IDK... The Wii U's not doing too well. Nintendo might try going the Steam Machine route and creating an affordable gaming PC, but one that also has support for Wii and Wii U games. They could then more easily appeal to the strategy/simulation and FPS markets.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I am saving up for a Steam Machine myself. Already have a Steam Controller pre-ordered, which I think comes in around Nov. 10th or 11th.

I have heard that Apple is trying to get into the video game console business. I do not think this is wise, anyone else have any thoughts on this?

What is it exactly? I've seen it on the Steam front page a couple of times.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I am saving up for a Steam Machine myself. Already have a Steam Controller pre-ordered, which I think comes in around Nov. 10th or 11th.

I have heard that Apple is trying to get into the video game console business. I do not think this is wise, anyone else have any thoughts on this?

What is it exactly? I've seen it on the Steam front page a couple of times.

It's an RPG, where by you can make the enemies you fight your friends, also there is pretty much no fourth wall with this game, that's all I'm gonna say (not spoiling anything more). Also on the topic of an apple video game console, they tried to do that years ago with the apple pippin, needless to say it flopped harder than a pot bellied pig hitting concrete at terminal velocity. Basically it didn't sell due to it's ridiculously high price, grant it, it was one of the first consoles to have internet (from what I'm aware of at least) so yeah.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

pure_muscle.png

I'll try out the demo for Undertale when I can. Thanks for the info.

Also on the topic of an apple video game console, they tried to do that years ago with the apple pippin, needless to say it flopped harder than a pot bellied pig hitting concrete at terminal velocity. Basically it didn't sell due to it's ridiculously high price, grant it, it was one of the first consoles to have internet (from what I'm aware of at least) so yeah.

I've heard about the Pippin and people say that this new attempt will end up like their previous attempt. Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

It's Apple, no one's going to really buy it. They'll make the first version ridiculously expensive, then they'll make new versions every year that don't change one bit, but are even more expensive than the last. It's a terrible idea.

Edited by Arzaki

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

It's Apple, no one's going to really buy it. They'll make the first version ridiculously expensive, then they'll make new versions every year that don't change one bit, but are even more expensive than the last. It's a terrible idea.

You forgot that it's specs are going to be incredibly underwhelming and less powerful than the competitors.

hElbrZ6.gif

You forgot that it's specs are going to be incredibly underwhelming and less powerful than the competitors.

the library won't be anything to write home about, either.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

you guys just described the xbox 360 and people love that thing

• Upvote 1

You forgot to mention that it's XBox. As far as I'm aware, Apple doesn't have a legion of brainless fans who play COD and Halo all day. No, I'm not saying those are bad games. I like Halo.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

it's XBox

exactly. nobody cared about the xbox brand before the 360. the original xbox was only relevant for the first two halo games and being the predecessor of the xbox 360. every next big thing starts somewhere and theres literally no reason it couldn't be on the apple.

it probably wont, though.

Isn't the 360 the most powerful console of that gen, though?

hElbrZ6.gif

IDK... The Wii U's not doing too well. Nintendo might try going the Steam Machine route and creating an affordable gaming PC, but one that also has support for Wii and Wii U games. They could then more easily appeal to the strategy/simulation and FPS markets.

The U's not doing too well, because they shot themselves in the foot with advertising and the fact that PS4 and Xbox One came out like right after. It's not a problem of games, it's a problem of everyone abandoned it like the freaking Dreamcast.

Especially when the third parties started off with "Oh, we'll support this thing to the ed of the days!" and then proceeded to rip away their support and go running to the PS4 and XB1 as soon as they could.

I'm pretty skeptical of both Steam Machines and a possible Apple console. I'd expect an Apple console to pretty much be a TV version of the App Store (i.e. Ouya, Fire TV), and Steam Machines are just gaming PCs that only play games and are tougher to upgrade, which puts their desirability for me below both consoles and PCs.

Also, I don't think Nintendo would need to go Steam Machine for their next console, just give it PC architecture like PS4 and X1 and make it powerful enough to complete, and DON'T add a mandatory gimmick, then bringing third-party support back shouldn't be too hard. Basically, make a good, competitive console like they used to.

Huh, could've sworn it was the other way around. Shame we'll never really see the full potential of the PS3's CELL architecture because of how much of a nightmare it is to program for.

god of war 3 was the glimpse into that dimension that we'll never live in.

tfw.

@wiiu: this is absolute theorizing on my part, but i think the majority of the nintendo market has just been the next generation of kids. most people outgrow nintendo and get replaced by the next generation, but the last generation saw a lot of kids start to play games on xbox like call of duty and halo 4. its possible the wiiu is weak because its core demographic migrated to the ps4 without nintendo noticing last generation. there's also the fact that some parents may not realize it's a new console because it has 'wii' in the name. all in all, lot of things went wrong.

Basically, make a good, competitive console like they used to. 

nintendo can't seem to win on the homefront anymore. the last time they made a good competitive console, it got crushed by the ps2.

Edited by Archer Vonn

When the Wii U came out, PS3 was 6 years old and 360 was 7. I'd be surprised if there was anyone who wasn't expecting a new PlayStation or Xbox soon at that point.

Wii and Wii U seem to follow the pattern of being the most powerful console... Of the previous gen. I'm kinda hoping the NX doesn't, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Thing is, Microsoft and Sony aren't primarily game companies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason they can get away with using such powerful technology and sell them at a loss is because they have other divisions bringing in money, and can also use games to make back the difference... Now, it's probably more complicated than that, but that's what I've heard.

Nintendo's primary source of money, however, is video games. So that would mean it'd be in their interest to make a profit off of their game consoles, so that's why they tend to use previous gen technology to do that. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo's not intentionally making their consoles weaker out of spite for their consumers or anything. 

Edited by Temmie

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

The Wii U was competitive! They probably just weren't expecting the X1 and PS4 to come out so soon. I reason Nintendo thought they'd have a few years before they'd face any real competition.

and it bombed. i dont know what point you're trying to counter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason they can get away with using such powerful technology and sell them at a loss is because they have other divisions bringing in money, and can also use games to make back the difference

you are wrong. sony is hemorrhaging money across the board, and the only profitable division in the company is playstation. nintendo has also made tremendous profit on every console up until the wiiu so they definitely had the potential to make the wiiu more powerful. it's just been bad design and marketing that's made the wiiu such a dud sales wise. there's no other excuse.

@wiiu: this is absolute theorizing on my part, but i think the majority of the nintendo market has just been the next generation of kids. most people outgrow nintendo and get replaced by the next generation, but the last generation saw a lot of kids start to play games on xbox like call of duty and halo 4. its possible the wiiu is weak because its core demographic migrated to the ps4 without nintendo noticing last generation. there's also the fact that some parents may not realize it's a new console because it has 'wii' in the name. all in all, lot of things went wrong.

Basically, make a good, competitive console like they used to. 

nintendo can't seem to win on the homefront anymore. the last time they made a good competitive console, it got crushed by the ps2.

agree with you about the wii u but i wouldn't say this about its predecessor. the first-gen wii was decimating sales figures for a couple years after its release and if it had had the software and continued production supply to keep up it would have ended up breaking ps2's sales records by the end of the seventh-gen.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

that's sort of what i meant, the wii did great but it wasn't meant to be competitive. it was meant to be different and was really successful because of that. 

Something relating to nintendo that was difference was a success? WHAT WAS SUCH MADNESS!

pure_muscle.png

I feel like the Wii only worked as well as it did because it was really before the whole smartphone boom- it was heavily marketed at kids, casuals, and non-gamers, and it sold big, but now all those groups have mostly moved to mobile devices, and I don't see a strategy like that working again.

You know, it kind of says something if I often forget about the very existence of the Wii-U.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

that's sort of what i meant, the wii did great but it wasn't meant to be competitive. it was meant to be different and was really successful because of that. 

Something relating to nintendo that was difference was a success? WHAT WAS SUCH MADNESS!

...? they werent trying to play the same game as everybody else and it worked out for them. in the case of the gamecube and the wiiu they were trying to compete in the same competition and they lost both times.