Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

i buy physical copies when i can

unforunately PC game shelves are kept really barren compared to console shelves. my local best buy has 4 times the shelf space for ps3 games than it has for PC games.

I remember when the PC game boxes were huge compared to those of the console games.

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

I dunno if games do this, but recently I purchased some software for college, and it came in one of those big cardboard boxes that can easily hold 2 DVD cases, and inside was a tiny slip of paper with a download code- that's all.

At least cases for card-based games are getting better (smaller), although if they keep getting smaller and smaller, there won't be anywhere to put the boxart.

Anyways, I really like the DanceDance Revolution games (mainly the PS2 ones), and pretty much nobody I know likes them. It's probably the fact that it's sorta like exercise and it's filled with pop tunes from the earlier half of the 2000s (and both of these are reasons I play it).

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity. Man, I cried at the end. A lot. First game to make me do that tbh.

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

Anyways, I really like the DanceDance Revolution games (mainly the PS2 ones), and pretty much nobody I know likes them. It's probably the fact that it's sorta like exercise and it's filled with pop tunes from the earlier half of the 2000s (and both of these are reasons I play it).

I used to LOVE those games. I had DanceDance Revolution and another one that I can't remember the name of. Used to be quite good at it. Then the dance mat broke. I much prefer DanceDance Revolution over the newfangled Guitar Hero games.

I just finished South Park: Stick of Truth after starting it last night. Was on the short end of things (since I finished it in just under a day), but it was pretty fun. Captures the show's tone fantastically and is full of references to past episodes. I'm pretty sure it's a bit bugged on the PS3 port, since the controls during some of the mini-games would decide suddenly to stop working as it should, but it's... Obsidian, so it's par for the course.

hElbrZ6.gif

obsidian has the best writing department in all of video games. they create masterful RPGs, and it's such a shame they have such a terrible reputation among the gamers who neglect their brilliant RPGs, just because the new ones are full of bugs. i truly consider them to be one of the best game developers of all time.

on a similar note, i got back to shadow of the colossus. i've just killed the eleventh one. this game is becoming so frustrating. ignoring the clunky controls that took forever to get used to, ignore the awkward horse that refuses to be mounted, the knockdown time is moronically long. to jog your memory, the eleventh colossus is a bull that charges you and every time it charges you, it knocks you down. wander is a fragile little wuss that doesn't bother to move for a solid ten seconds, which is just enough time for the bull to wind up another charge that can cycle you into an endless chain that would be hilarious to everyone but the player.

i know the haunting music is supposed to make you feel guilty each time you kill a colossus, but i felt only fury that this game denied me my victory over this frustrating and broken boss.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

obsidian has the best writing department in all of video games. they create masterful RPGs, and it's such a shame they have such a terrible reputation among the gamers who neglect their brilliant RPGs, just because the new ones are full of bugs. i truly consider them to be one of the best game developers of all time.

on a similar note, i got back to shadow of the colossus. i've just killed the eleventh one. this game is becoming so frustrating. ignoring the clunky controls that took forever to get used to, ignore the awkward horse that refuses to be mounted, the knockdown time is moronically long. to jog your memory, the eleventh colossus is a bull that charges you and every time it charges you, it knocks you down. wander is a fragile little wuss that doesn't bother to move for a solid ten seconds, which is just enough time for the bull to wind up another charge that can cycle you into an endless chain that would be hilarious to everyone but the player.

i know the haunting music is supposed to make you feel guilty each time you kill a colossus, but i felt only fury that this game denied me my victory over this frustrating and broken boss.

I am 100% sure that you are supposed to feel frustrated. For the record, bosses 11 and 12 were my least favorite, and ones I'd revamp if I were in charge of a remake.

The character controls took a lot of getting used to, but I eventually adapted. The horse controls aren't very conventional - think of not controlling the horse, but controlling the character who controls the horse. If you hit left, the horse moves to it's left. It's no Epona, but fluid once you get the hang of it.

I got my hands on Sly 4, the one everyone hates, but really, so far my biggest complaint is the controls (and the really stupid storyline, but it's not the kind of game I care much about the story in). Still prefer the Sly 1 gameplay over all of it's successors, but I think the game is on par with 2 (which moderately disappointed me).

I'm looking into getting an original Xbox in the near future, and have intent to modding it. Would it just be worth it to get a 360? Would I be able to run original Xbox homebrew on one (or even hack it to emulate all original Xbox games?) I have no plans on purchasing Live ever, so that doesn't concern me. Also, besides Halo, are there any decent exclusives?

Just bought The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection off Amazon earlier today, and I'll have it on Saturday. At $20 for two games (that I know nothing about, but most people I've spoken to say they're good), it's a good deal. Anything I should know about them before I get started?

Anyways, I do know that original XBox can be (easily) softmodded, not sure about 360 (although I know that 360 is much easier to mod than PS3). Also, most people I know who have a 360 almost exclusively play multiplat games, except for Halo and indie titles, although off the top of my head, there's also Gears of War, Forza, Fable, and anything with "Kinect" in the name for exclusives.

Just bought The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection off Amazon earlier today, and I'll have it on Saturday. At $20 for two games (that I know nothing about, but most people I've spoken to say they're good), it's a good deal. Anything I should know about them before I get started?

Anyways, I do know that original XBox can be (easily) softmodded, not sure about 360 (although I know that 360 is much easier to moderator than PS3). Also, most people I know who have a 360 almost exclusively play multiplat games, except for Halo and indie titles, although off the top of my head, there's also Gears of War, Forza, Fable, and anything with "Kinect" in the name for exclusives.

I haven't played ICO yet, but SotC... just be warned that the game is slow paced. It's something that really can't have the same effect if it was faster, so you are just going to have to put up with it until it picks up. It was described to me as "kinda like Zelda, but really nothing like Zelda". As little sense as it makes, it's accurate. It's really a very unique game.

When you say easy to softmod (stupid censor!), do you mean about the same or easier than the Wii? THAT was a very easy system to hack.

Pretty much downloading the softmodmod to a USB stick and waiting for it to load onto the system (because USB 1.0), so yeah, pretty much as easy as the Wii. Although that's generally how all softmods are.

Also, slow sounds fine. I can deal with slow.

yeah it wasn't as bad.

anyways, i finished the game. i have immensely mixed feelings about it. the end was nice, the twist was nice, but holy ###### was the gameplay frustrating. broken knockdown mechanics, counter productive automatic camera and bosses that were either immediately obvious to beat or impossible and maddening (very few just right. you mentioned you didn't like number 12 ghoti but i really liked that one). in spite of all that, the (twist) end was really well done and thematically the game had a lot to offer, but i'm very glad to have put it behind me. it was not my kind of game.

Edited by ~JC~

I was hoping to but my schedule isn't quite clear for such a long out-of-state journey.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Aw man! It is like a wicked trip down to memory lane playing old arcade and old video game consoles from classic to modern. Lol! I remembered 2 years ago I was pwning everyone in Quake 1 in a eMac lan party. Unfortunately the peeps raged quit because they didn't know about bunny hopping and rocket jumping.

I was hoping this year they'll have a Quake contest. But boo, they just have slow paced Halo and CoD instead. Not my forte, but meh. :)

I thought I figured I put that out there, just in case if anyone from BZP want to meet up at this thing.

Edited by Matoro1992

Where is it?

In response to the game that you really liked but nobody else on the face of the Earth did, I'm going to say (no surprise if you know me) Halo 4. It's near-universally detested by Halo-players and non-Halo-players alike, but I believe it is one of the finest video games of all time.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I've always been torn when it comes to games like Dead Space. I can stomach jump scares if it's a movie or something, but when you jump out of your skin because of the simplest things, video game jump scares seem far more potent.

im about three hours into it and maybe im a superhero but i dont find it remotely scary. there are no jump scares that phase me since you usually get like a three second warning, like some sounds scittering above you, which put me into caution mode so i dont get taken by surprise.

@waz: im interested to know why

Edited by ~JC~

I've always been torn when it comes to games like Dead Space. I can stomach jump scares if it's a movie or something, but when you jump out of your skin because of the simplest things, video game jump scares seem far more potent.

im about three hours into it and maybe im a superhero but i dont find it remotely scary. there are no jump scares that phase me since you usually get like a three second warning, like some sounds scittering above you, which put me into caution mode so i dont get taken by surprise.

I may be odd, but I personally find that scarier than jumpscares. Jumpscares are just so... overused? Uninteresting? It's the tension that scares me. I know there is a monster, but I can't find it.

I may be odd, but I personally find that scarier than jumpscares. Jumpscares are just so... overused? Uninteresting? It's the tension that scares me. I know there is a monster, but I can't find it.

Which is why Metroid Fusion scared the ever living heck outta me on my first playthrough.

You knew the SA-X was around there, somewhere, you just didn't know when it popped up...and then after I beat the game I felt a lot less tense because it was all scripted appearances.

now then, if they remade that game...random SA-X encounters would be...interesting...

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian