Your First Set

Just A Dot

I don't just want to know your first set, I want to know the whole story. Where were you, what attracted you, what made you fall in love with the concept...

It was exactly 10 years ago. A few days before my 7th birthday. A few friends and I were getting together and doing whatever it is that young kids do. One of them, who was my neighbor, and never actually a BIONICLE fan, gifted me two sets, which were probably picked out by his mother. Gali Nuva and Guurahk. I remember coming home, as I was very interested by these two canisters, which reminded me of something from the past (which I now know to be getting Maku and Onepu from McD's way back when). I opened Gali Nuva first. I couldn't get the ball joints to go in, and needed my parent's help for those. I was a bit confused when I got to the Kaita's instructions, because my set didn't have any green parts in it.

But the coolest part, by far, was the artwork. The stuff in the manuals, and on the boxes. They sparked many hours of play, with me making my own adventures, and, once I got into the storyline, including parts from the books too.

And now I look around at the 16X sets I have on the shelves around me, and think of what these last 10 years of my life would have been like if I never got into BIONICLE...

Feeling nostalgic today!

Anyways, what are all of your stories?

• Upvote 4

First set?

Well, I was out of the country, I think in Dubai at the time, walking down the toy aisle with my parents. I had always loved lego sets, and I saw way at the top a Tarkava set. I immediately pestered my parents into buying it for me, since it was a lego set I had never seen before. I loved building it since it was so diffrent from anything else I built (I only had System sets before this).

Oh, and it had teal. Teal is nice. That might be another reason why I got that set.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Tahu Mata was my first. :)I can't remember how I went about obtaining him, but I do recall seeing a lot about Bionicle in the Lego Club magazine before I did. The artwork and story intrigued me, and I was hard set on getting "the red one," ha ha. I believe I finally saw some Tahu sets at the store one day and bought him with my allowance money. You'd think I had just bought the rarest toy in the world, I was so proud of myself. XD

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

My first Bionicle set was Gali Mata. And, of all things, the set was missing the yellow eye stalks, but I eventually replaced them later when I got spares in a mask pack. Still was an awesome set. (First constraction set was Torch the Throwbot / Slizer tho.)

:music:

I played with some early 01 figures at my friends house, and then I was at Disneyland and my mom bought me Tahu, and then next time I got Gali...Lewa...birthday came and now I have almost every set.

I loved the mask packs the the Kaitas for the mata sets. Led to hours of play knocking off masks and combining them into monstrosities.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I remember that I knew about bionicle since it came out in 01, but my parents were extremely opposed to any toys that even slightly implied violence, and bionicle obviously fell under that category. Because of this, I had to skip out on the 01-3 sets, and those sets became my most sought after when the theme was still out.

Anyways, when 04 sets came out, I again began the yearly ritual of begging my parents for the new sets. They again refused, due to the aforementioned violence thing. But at a trip to target a few weeks later, I saw a Matau metru, and noticed that he had his aero slicers clipped to his back on his box art. I used this detail into tricking my parents into thinking that this particular set didn't have any weapons, and so they agreed to buy it for me.

My parents eventually found out that Matau's "wings" also doubles as knives, but by that time they had seen that I wasn't turning into a psychopath because my toy had knives, so they let me keep it and later bought me toa vakama and nuju as a birthday gift.

Fast forward three years, and my room is full of bionicles on display, locked in eternal battle against the forces of makuta!

• Upvote 1

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I remember that I knew about bionicle since it came out in 01, but my parents were extremely opposed to any toys that even slightly implied violence, and bionicle obviously fell under that category. Because of this, I had to skip out on the 01-3 sets, and those sets became my most sought after when the theme was still out.

Anyways, when 04 sets came out, I again began the yearly ritual of begging my parents for the new sets. They again refused, due to the aforementioned violence thing. But at a trip to target a few weeks later, I saw a Matau metru, and noticed that he had his aero slicers clipped to his back on his box art. I used this detail into tricking my parents into thinking that this particular set didn't have any weapons, and so they agreed to buy it for me.

My parents eventually found out that Matau's "wings" also doubles as knives, but by that time they had seen that I wasn't turning into a psychopath because my toy had knives, so they let me keep it and later bought me toa vakama and nuju as a birthday gift.

Fast forward three years, and my room is full of bionicles on display, locked in eternal battle against the forces of makuta!

How old were you at the time?

My first set was when I was really young.... I got the Tarakava at some airport on a family trip to Turkey. I remembered looking at the instructions absolutely perplexed about what I was building so my parents had to help. XD

They're probably still in my top fav sets, since the early years were awesome and had a difficult build along with unique functions.

Edited by Jebraltar

Hmmm....

To this day, I still cannot remember if my first Bionicle was Pahrak the Bohrok, or Toa Onua Nuva. However, I do remember exactly (more or less) how I got Onua, so I'll describe that.

It was Christmas of '02, methinks. Within my large crimson stocking, as I took it from hanging above the fireplace, I noticed that there was a conspicuously cylindrical hard object giving it form. Well, I took out the various candies from inside, but nothing garnered my attention more than this black and grey cannister with some mechanical character SURFING DOWN A ROCKSLIDE ON TREADS ON HIS FEET. Well, I assembled him - which at age 5 or so, was quite difficult - my fingers were not used to snapping ball joints, I didn't know the general idea of how they were supposed to be built, and was unfamiliar with the whole thing in general.

When fully assembled, I adored his sleek, shiny, silver, black, and grey color scheme. I loved how he wielded chainsaws that could then be put on his feet. I loved that you could make his arms swing around without touching them. I loved how his name slid off of my tongue, resplendent with delicious vowels.

I don't actually recall when I really got into the story, but that happened when I got the original Bionicle Guide that came out just before the Mask of Light. I learned about all of the different inhabitants of Mata Nui and the conflicts that occurred between them. However, as great as Bionicle was on its own, I don't think I became truly passionate about it until two of my good friends got into it as well, somewhere in late 2003, I believe. Now, we could make our own adventures together, share our opinions on who was "the best", and be part of a whole new world.

I'm somewhat curious - where exactly/how/(just give me general information) do parents become so opposed to toylines that "slightly imply violence"? What is the big deal? One of those good Bioncle friends had parents who wouldn't let him get games above E10+ though still permitted (and purchased) loads of Bionicles. My parents were similarly hostile to video games (especially violent ones), but liked the creative aspects of Bionicles.

I mean, duh, some parents don't want their kids to be negatively influenced, but can someone who has been in that position give me some more information? I don't want to seem stupid or insensitive, but I adore franchises that condone violence, like Halo, Warhammer, Transformers, Star Wars, etc. so my perspective on this is perhaps more skewed.

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

My first set was the first 6 Toa Mata which I bought at Legoland California back in 2001. After seeing their commercial I went to Legoland the next day to get them and got me a free poster and a free Kopaka writing pen and bought a tshit with all 6 Toas on it. It was the best day ever when I got home. :)

• Upvote 1

10640418814_ff945700dc_o.jpg

My first set was a Nuvok Kal which my mum randomly brought home one day. At this point I knew nothing about Bionicle, and to be honest I don't really know when or how I actually found out about it... anyway, my brother got a Lehvak Kal on the same day, my sis soon got a Pahrak Kal too (because you know siblings, what one has the others get interested in as well....)

Now please excuse me while I get all nostalgic about those days. :3

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

I find it simply fascinating that you also possess parents who were at one time highly opposed to violent toys as well. I always loved action figures and weapons as a child, no matter the age, but wasn't permitted to bring even sticks from the back yard into the house. If I recall correctly, Bionicle was really the first ever 'action figure' type toy I owned.

In spring of 2001, I recall seeing a large cardboard display of various Toa- Kopaka, Pohatu, and Onua, I believe. I thought they were video game characters at the time, and while they looked amazing, I dismissed them as non- toys. Then during the summer, I saw my first actual canisters in a Wal-Mart somewhere out of town and was instantly enthralled. From the moment I lay eyes on him, Onua Mata was absolutely perfect. I loved his large claws and his tribal-esque mask reminiscent of a bowling ball. And even though I never dared ask my parents for anything moderately related to action-oriented toys, I just had to have him. :begging: I begged my family incessantly, but of course being sensible, level-headed people, they said 'no'. Yet it was a torment they would learn to endure; every trip to a department store, I would inevitably wander down the toy aisle, and every time the same request would be raised. Looking back now, I don't know how they survived my constant pesterings until December 25th, but when I opened up my packages that fateful Christmas Eve, I was greeted by the sight of both Gali Mata and Onua Mata as well (I opened Gali first and was flabbergasted and confused until Onua's canister saw the light of day a moment later). So I suppose that Gali and Onua are both technically my first Bionicle...but you can be certain that I assembled Onua first. :hehe-sign:

Edited by Sidy

Did you know that insanity is contagious? I've been spreading it for years!

All hail Makuta Teridax that creepy guy to my right,Master of Shadows.

My first set was 6525 Blaze Commander (not counting DUPLO sets I owned previously). I got it on no special occasion, just out of interest.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Back in '01, I first saw the ads in Lego magazine about these new Bionicle sets that were coming out. Me and my friends were instantly hooked. Something about those first CG Mata pics were just perfect. So after much begging to my parents, I got Lewa and Pohatu for my 7th birthday. I put Lewa together first, and he's been my favorite ever sense.

jlovfkk.jpg

Not counting Duplo, or a random tub of parts we have somewhere up in the garage, my first (and second and third) sets were, respectively, Gator Landing, Volcano Island, and Hypno Cruiser. I was five years old and received all three of them for Christmas in 1996. Being five years old, I don't think I had any idea what LEGO was at the time. But I built all three of them (with help from my father for the last one) and became quite hooked. Being that I was five years old there's hardly a real story behind them, they were just gifts. Frankly I don't think my Mom had any idea what sort of hobby it would spawn.

As for what attracted me... I really have no idea. I guess I just really liked the blocks and the models that could be put together with them.

BZPRPG

I don't remember my first lego set, but I my first Bionicle was Vakama Metru. I got him for my fifth birthday in 2004. I picked it out at a Toys R us in Calofornia, where I was living at the time. This was back when you'd see sets from different years on the shelf at the same time, and I got a lot of the 2003 sets the same year. Funny enough, I believe I got Makuta for my birthday in 2005. I loved the Idea of bing able to create action figures using technic pieces, and the story was the icing on the cake.

Edited by Observedhalo

"Poor Cyclonus - Sworn To Reject A World That Hates and Fears Him. He And I Are Very Similar, Really: Two Reformed Characters Struggling To Make Our Way In Life. He Just Has Less Violent Coping Strategies." Whirl

My BZPRPG Characters

• 2 weeks later...

My first LEGO set was a parts bucket. I don't know what happened to the bucket itself, but I certainly still have the parts. My first Bionicle set was a Vahki Keerahk my best friend got me for my 6th birthday. I didn't actually get into the theme until 2008, when I finally figured out how to use the internet, but I still thought that the Vahki was one of my coolest toys. It was extremely hard for my tiny hands to put the ball joints in the sockets, but it was totally worth it.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

• 2 weeks later...

It all started with an issue of the then-called 'Lego World Club' magazine, all the way back in January 2001. I was nine at the time, and having been a moderate fan of the Slizers the year before, was incredibly fascinated by this new line of buildable figures that seemed to look like them - and yet, not like them at the same time. After reading the double-page spread on the Toa Mata, not to mention the additional free Comic One, I was hooked; I think I persuaded my mum to take me into town after school the very next day so that I could buy one for myself.

The reason I chose Onua over the other Toa was, in fact, very simple. From the picture in the magazine, I simply couldn't figure out his build. The other five were clearly humanoid; but the pose Onua was in made it impossible for me to tell exactly what he was supposed to be - mostly, I think, the fact that his head seemed planted in the middle of his chest threw me off -, and so it was curiosity more than anything else that drove me to choose him as the one to get.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

The first set I got was Pohatu Mata, as a gift. He didn't have any exciting weapons, so it wasn't until I found more sets that I started getting into BIONICLE, but I'm still glad I got him.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

It was in 2001. I was enthralled by BIONICLE. I think I was lucky enough to get the Tarakava for a first set (although it may have been Kopaka Mata - he was my favorite). Either way, I played with it a lot. Soon I had some Tohunga (from McDonald's) and every Toa, as well as Muaka and Kane-Ra.

It was not, however, my first TECHNIC set - I had received a Red Formula One set the year before, as I was always something of a TECHNIC kid.

Edited by BobaFett2

The Legend Lives...

Man, my first Bionicle set. That must've been, what, 12 years ago now? Has it been that long?

It was summertime, my family and I was on vacation in Denmark, and we stopped by a Toy shop so my brother and I could pick up a last gift before we went home.

Now, I was already a big LEGO fan at that age (6 years old), and immediately ran straight to that aisle in the store, and then, my eyes fell on this particular shelf where rows of round canisters where placed. My brother and I both immediately took interest in them, and quickly agreed on one each.

He got Tahu, I got Gali.

Now, seeing as I was only six years old, I wasn't exactly fluent in English yet. So later that same day back home in Norway when we opened them up for the first time, and the story booklet popped out, obviously my parents had to translate it for me.

And... well, that was where it began, really. That was when I first heard the story of Bionicle, about six canisters who washed ashore on a golden beach.

I depended upon a lot of help from my parents the first few years to translate a lot of the text (thankfully the comics were norwegian), but I managed.

I think 2002 was the year where I really started getting into Bionicle, the Bohrok Swarms was the mystery that finally launched me into full on fan-mode.

My brother never became just as big of a fan as I was. Sure, he enjoyed it a lot too, and we had lots of fun with it together, but in a lot of ways Bionicle didn't really mean the same to him as it did to me.

And since then... well, the rest is history, I suppose.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

• 2 weeks later...

I have always liked anything robotic or humanoid, so Bionicle caught my eye immediately. I had seen the Toa Nuva in stores, and I thought they were awesome, but my interests changed before I bought one. My cousins had multiple Bohrok, and Toa Mata/Nuva as well as Rahkshi, and I couldn't stop playing with them. Later on, my oldest brother bought Toa Vakama Metru, and later got 2 Lhikan and Kikanalos for Christmas. I thought they were awesome! Ah, I remember the day as if it were... 8 years ago. It was 2005, and I was six, walking through the toy aisle in target. It was my favorite section, Lego. I laid my eyes on Toa Matau Hordika, and I loved him! I got home, assembled him, and had the most fun ever! I mean, a green robot guy that had two swords, could manipulate air, and had an awesome spinner/launcher thing? It was too good to be true! I later on told my cousins (the ones with all the Bohrok) that I finally had my first Bionicle! Matau led me on to collecting all forms of Bionicle, from Mata, all the way through the Glatorian.

• Upvote 1

my first bionicle was actually pretty lame.It was the mistika Toa Tahu.I never really Knew the storyline but I went to my friend Luke and he was hardcore like me now.It was awesome. my mom bought it for me at target.I got into my PS2 but gave it to my dad because I did not need it.He asked why and how I should keep it.I said all I needed was my bionicles.He smiled. I got into MOC's. For a four year old,it wasn't that bad.I still have his mask. :)

My first ever set (if this even counts) was the McDonald's Motoro. I remeber building the guy and then I looked at the poster that came with and I was in awe seeing Kopaka right next to him(I think that's maby why he bacame my favorate Toa and ironicly i was never able to get the chance to buy him) I was like 8 or 9 at the time. If you want to count buyable sets, it was Gali from 2001, I ended up having all the mata sets besides Lewa and Kopaka. Folowed the story and bought some of the toys ever since

Edited by NuparuDescendant

It was around 2001-2003 that I joined, at such a young age I saw Kopaka Mata on a shelf at a store near my house, I begged my folks to get it for me and sure enough, late 2001 I got it, from there on I got the other Toa Mata, a few Bohrok, and some rahi in those first two years, but Kopaka Mata wil always be special to me.

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

If I remember correctly, my first Bionicle set was the Nui-Jaga for Christmas of '01 (well, I think it was Christmas at least.) Anyway, it wasn't just my first Bionicle set, it was my first time ever building with Technic. It confused the heck out of me and I very nearly gave up halfway through. It wound up taken apart and mixed up in a bin with all my other sets after a short while, but that was the way it was back then. I might re-assemble it one day for nostalgia purposes.

Around ten and a third years ago, on the twenty-second of August 2003, the day I turned seven, I received Lehvak-Kal as a gift from my Aunt. A few weeks later, I saw an advertisement featuring the Rahkshi, and noticed that also had the BIONICLE logo, the same line as Lehvak-Kal. So started my childhood obsession with BIONICLE.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

I was walking through a toy store with my dad during a closing sale and picked up two Toa Whenua sets, Keetongu, and Roodaka. All of which were on a BOGO sale. so I got two Whenua sets for the price of one, and two awesome titans that form the Shadowed One. :D

I have since collected many more sets, my favorites being Vezon and Fenrakk, Maxilos and Spinax, the Rockoh T3, and the Tarakava.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

I was born 2000 and my brothers 1993 and 1994. They both had Lewa Mata/Nuva, Tahu Mata/Nuva, Gahlok, Parhak, Makuta, Guuhalk, and, tahnok. They were never really into it. I used to play with there's (aka destroy and lose peices :3) But the first one I every truly got was Turaga Dume and Nivhok. I could only build Dume and Nivhoks legs so my brothers had to help me. But, throught the wonders of ebay, and stores, I have managed to get almost every set. I am missing the Manas and most of the year 2010. I miss Bionicle so badly. I remember watching the video that told me for the first time that bionicle was being canceled. It felt like being punched in the chest. I mean, I bassacly hated every set they made after 2005 but it still hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

It was the very beginning. I was five years old, sitting in a shopping cart in Walmart, being pushed through the toy section. Then I saw them, on an end shelf, so many sing canisters, and colourful...I was drawn to the red one like a moth to a flame, Tahu Mata. Being little, my parents allowed me to buy it. It all followed from that day.

I also remember giving my cousin his first Bionicle set, Toa Gali Mata. I bought it for him, and kept it in a drawer in my grandparent's room. He was coming to visit us, and when he came, I took him up and gave it to him. He was younger than I, and so he had a bit of trouble with the construction, putting her mask on upside down, but it all worked out in the end.

Before Bionicle, I played with my sibling's Lego sets, and occasionally MOCed (though they weren't exactly spectacular). They had a few Throwbots, but I was more into System.

=)

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad