Marvel Rebirth: Discussion

There's the old reliable plan of nobbling its joints somehow. If someone has a character capable of dumping loads of sand on the thing, someone with heat-based powers (I had Persephone in mind, since she's my character an all, but anyone with energy blasts would work just as well) could then vitrify that sand and encase bits of it in glass. You can freeze up its legs or something doing that

If only we had a squad of rebel starfighters we could totally bring the Sleepers down like the AT-AT's on Hoth by using a cable and tying their legs until they fall.

Well Vivus can fire energy shots, but he can't fly. I was afraid that would make him OP, but in this situation, I'm slightly kicking myself. Not too much, because I can't come up with any other characters for the life of me, so I need to hold onto him for as long as possible.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

In my ongoing quest to understand why this RPG does so well while others persist briefly then die, I've noted that it allows PC's to control rather large organizations off the bat. This allows players to make their own plots rather quickly and pursue them.

Making parts of the RPG more or less self sustaining. Fascinating.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Name: Anberlyn “Annie” Worthington
Alias: the White Queen
Sex: Yes. Errrr, female.
Loyalties/Faction: Worthington Enterprises, (President/COO), The Hellfire Club (White Queen)
Powers:

• Annie has two wings on her back, a Worthington legacy, and they allow her free flight. These additional appendages can be crushed into her back so that they can be covered by clothes without a sign. Linked to this is a very airy but flexible skeleton that enables her greater dexterity.
  • She also developed a secondary mutation: Mass reduction. She can psychically shrink anything, animate or inanimate, to a minimum size of two inches, though anything she shrinks requires great willpower and shrinking anything bigger than a car will cause her to hemorrhage. She can reverse the effects at no cost to restore anything she shrinks to normal size. Anything she alters remains in that size unless reversed by her own power or technology, though the latter may cause undesired side effects. The target must be within line-of-sight and remains in a reduced state for six hours then reverts to normal over three more and she cannot reuse her power until complete reversion.
  • Annie, like her twin brother Alaric, has an ancient Cheyarafim ring that resuscitates her from death at the hands of any supernatural or mutant being, whether directly or indirectly.

Appearance: Annie is lithe and stands at a good six feet. She has almost no adipose tissue and is just muscle and bones, giving her a very defined and edgy body. Two eyes that glint like opals peer out at everything with casual disdain, floating on a narrow face with a refined nose and small mouth. She has a pair of tattoos on her shoulders, one of a crow on her left and and one of a magpie on her right. Her straight and black hair is shoulder length and she usually tucks her bangs behind her ears to reveal a single platinum streak that diagonally crosses her forehead.

Her wardrobe changed since she found her brother and the wealth she deserved, though she still dresses with sufficient attitude. She mostly wears a fashionable outfit consisting of a white button down shirt under a khaki vest and a short, white leather trenchcoat with a black belt. She finishes the set with khaki pants and black harnessed riding boots. When the situation requires something more formal she typically reaches for a white dress with black pumps.

Weapons: She doesn’t carry weapons, instead confident that her company’s powers, as well her own, will protect her. However she is well trained with a variety of weapons for use when she needs them.
Skills: Annie is a devious queen and an able mastermind, fully befitting her status as both a Worthington and the White Queen. Her years on the streets of New York as a girl hardened her up with all sorts of vital skills, including negotiation, violence and thievery. She can also be sneaky and hide almost effortlessly, also hinting at her high cunning. Additionally, she is an accomplished freerunner.
Personality: She’s not aloof but tends to view things from an amoral, objective point of view, allowing her to do business as needed without restraint. There are few things she cares about more than her brother and her distaste for her surname — in fact, she still uses it solely because of the status it grants her to continue her passionate vengeance.
Weaknesses: She cannot be manipulated easily, however she has limited protection against psionic attacks. Additionally, because of her lightness, she is physically weak in melee combat, though hitting her is a feat in and of itself. Her wings are her weakest point; a cut on one of them is so incredibly painful that it can debilitate her.
Bio: Anberlyn was born into the old-money Worthington family and raised as one of them for three years before her father mysteriously vanished, leaving nothing but a will betrothing all of the estate to her brother, Alaric. Not mentioned on the will and with no provisions given her she was taken by the State and placed in subpar institutions throughout her youth, going from potential heiress to little more than a name on a sheet of paper taken from school to school. She was the butt of jokes and subject of abuse as she grew up, hardening her mind and body as she became an adult. Despite the negative life she lived she excelled academically, never dulling her senses. Instead of attempting to reject the culture around her she embraced it, making it her ally, and before she graduated from high school at a mere age fifteen she was the leader of a school gang in New York City. Violence couldn’t hurt her if she was the one wielding it, and by the time she was 18 she was a known personality in the city’s underworld scene with a record of brutal enforcement.

She left that life behind when she felt confident enough to face her real demons and found her brother in charge of the X-Men Manor. Their initially rocky reunion soon turned into a united hunt for their father to extract a payment of justice from his corpse. Though unsuccessful in their mission they did become much closer than simple siblings, and shortly afterward they overtook the Hellfire Club, establishing themselves as its leaders.

Annie still wants revenge but she knows the value of patience. Soon, Warren. Soon.

Edited by EmperorWhenua

Regrettably, I must forgo my now-customary reaction to this character, so I will move on to my actual staffly duties.

I would, in order of appearance, like to draw attention to two things; First, the permanence of shrinkage. On the whole I am decidedly wary of powers that have inherently permanenegt effects, but this one strikes me as particularly worthy of caution. Considering your track record with such things, it's ad tiredly possible that such a permanent shrinkee would end up suffering a fate worse than death before escape alone, rendering permanence rather moot in the first place. Unrelated, anyone want a sandwich?

In all seriousness, there will need to be a degree of discussion on the permanence. I would prefer a set time until they automatically revert, but I am open to suggestion.

Second;

"Annie, like her twin brother Alaric, has an ancient Cheyarafim ring that resuscitates him from death at the hands of any supernatural or mutant being, whether directly or indirectly."

It is my understanding that the death had to occur directly at the hands of a superpowered being. In fact, such is the only reason I have not voiced concerns over them in the past, because they could still be killed by mundanes and mundane means. If that has changed, there will need to be staff discussion.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Speaking of those rings...

Just in case it comes to this, what takes precedence: the status of the killer or the status of the means of killing? For instance, if Tokiomi were to pump Alaric full of lead (something that probably would never happen), would the ring activate because Tokiomi is a mutant or would it not activate because the weapon used to do the killing is a perfectly mundane firearm?

Things rings can revive you from:

-Being shot by a mutant

-Being run over by a mutant

-A mutant using one specific tool to kill you - ie above firearms, rocket launchers, vehicles, knives, etc.

Things rings can not revive you from:

-Death by Rube Goldberg contraption - flying a plane into a building and then that building's roof falling on you and crushing you wouldn't count, because you were killed by a roof

-Something that would completely obliterate you to the point of not being able to wear the ring

-Detaching the ring from your body either during death or in between death and resurrection

-Decapitation

-The Spanish Inquisition

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

In all seriousness, there will need to be a degree of discussion on the permanence. I would prefer a set time until they automatically revert, but I am open to suggestion.

Okay. Six hours, then they start reverting; by nine they are normal again. She cannot re-use the power until the reversion is complete.

Name: Nero Silva

Alias: Sonik

Loyalties/Faction: Xavier Institute

Power(S): Reverberating Audiomancy: Nero is capable of amplifying and controlling sound to a level high enough to produce a sonoluminescent effect even without water. His particular specialty with this power is something he refers to as "Reverbing", or the constant reflection of sound waves against each other to produce a louder sound.

His common offensive use of the ability is to create constructs out of reverberating sound waves which cause damage via concussive force, though he is also capable of producing simple shockwaves and sonic blasts. Other uses of the ability include altering the tone of sound waves for visual and mental disorientation (or amusement, such as changing the sound of his voice.), echolocation to sense objects and beings around him and the structural weaknesses of objects, removing all sound in an area, and passively making him slightly less susceptible to mind/perception altering abilities (as a large portion of his perception of the world is tied to things he hears, as opposed to touch and sight.).

He also has a nearly precognitive sense, as his powers increase his hearing to nearly pindrop levels, and as a result, he hears things before his other senses perceive them. Time spent heeding the sounds has made his reflexes higher than that of a normal human, lending to the near precognitive appearance.

Lycanthropy: During his time as a member of the X-Men, Nero encountered a man who is believed to be the last of the werewolves, who offered his dark gift to Nero. As a result of Nero's acceptance, Nero gained the ability to shift into a half-man/half beast form. In this form, Nero's physical capabilities (strength, speed, durability, senses) are enhanced, while his ability to use his sound powers are reduced, his fine control over the abilities reduced to being able to change volume and pitch, and produce concussive waves of sound as a projectile. While he does have a healing factor in this form, it's strength is constantly reduced by the healing factor attempting to permanently heal the damage done to Nero's spine, and so is less effective than the average healing factor by a considerable amount. On the upside of this, when transformed, he is capable of full movement due to the overworking of his healing factor.

As a result of his Lycanthropy, even when not transformed, Nero's senses are quite heightened, and training with the gift has made him adept at achieving partial transformations, such as claws.

Appearance: Nero, when standing, stands at 5'10, with a slim, but muscular frame, particularly towards his upper body, a result of dedicating more time to the pursuit of working out, and endorsing personal fitness. He has shoulder length shaggy black hair which spends the majority of it's time escaping the various ponytails Nero attempts to corral it into, olive skin, and immaculate white teeth (a source of immense pride for him). Very comfortable with his look, no matter how he looks, Nero's choices of fashion are subject to rolling out of bed and grabbing whatever fits. He has a total of 5 earrings, three in one ear, and two in the other, and a stud in his tongue.

Weapons: None, though he occasionally will carry a small boombox or a pack of firecrackers around for an easy source of loud sound.

Skills: Nero has an amazing memory, particularly for sounds, being able to recall pretty much anything he's ever heard, even if he's only heard it once. He's also very dexterous and comfortable with his upper body and arms, picking up activities fairly easily such as handstands, or sculpting. This helps tremendously with moving fast in a wheelchair. On a more hobby related note, Nero is an excellent sailor, doing a lot of boating in his spare time. As a result, he's also an pretty good fisherman. Finally, he's an excellent analytic mind, at least on some level, something he's turned towards being an unstoppable force in the area of video games.

Personality: Big hearted, but sarcastic and quick mouthed, Nero has something of a pessimistic point of view, easily cycling through unfortunate emotions under the surface, particularly rage and depression. He's also fairly competitive, a personality trait born from the desire to distract himself from bouts of depression by interacting with people in an aggressive manner, something he's put much work into channeling into something more positive. Despite his flaws, in the end, all Nero wants is to be the best guy he can be.

Weakness: Nero's biggest and most obvious weakness is that he's paraplegic, paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair. Obviously, this sincerely hampers him in a combat situation. This weakness of his also makes Nero eager to prove himself useful, making him prone to hasty or rash decisions when he feels he's not doing anything of worth in a situation. In werewolf form, Nero's higher functions tend to give way to a more primal way of thinking and operating, making it hard for him to remain in control of his actions and emotions. Agitation can cause these instincts to flare up even when he isn't transformed.

Bio: Nero was born and raised in Manhattan, New York City. At 10 years old, Nero and his mother were in an accident involving a speeding car that paralyzed Nero from the waist down, and put his mother in a coma. As a result, he drove into an almost suicidal depression, constantly raging and blaming himself for his mother's predicament. He would go on to throw himself into increasingly difficult and violent situations in an attempt to take out his rage on others, despite ending up hurt more often than not, which, unbeknownst to him, was what he wanted. His rage and depression built and mounted until a near suicidal meltdown resulted in the manifestation of his powers, an event which nearly caused the deaths of both himself and his father, and the injuries of various civilians. Not too long after this, Nero's mother finally awakened and, not wanting anyone being hurt to be on his shoulders again if he could help it, made it his mission to change. His reunited parents, simply happy to see him no longer destroying himself, put everything they had into supporting him.

Eventually, Nero made his way to the Xavier Institute when he realized that he could get a firmer handle on his abilities, and ensure his family's safety from mutant hating mobs by relocating. There, he joined the X-Men and was there for the various hardships they faced, including the kidnapping of various students due to the actions of Weapon X. During the situation, Nero was one of the few who escaped capture. Eventually, he would go on to meet Aldrich Brandt, the last Lycanthrope, who would offer to pass on the gift of lycanthropy to Nero. In a hasty attempt to make himself stronger so he could save his allies, Nero accepted, changing him permanently into a werewolf. He would go on to use these abilities through the rest of the X-Men's trials and tribulations. The continual downward spiral of events for the X-men would culminate in the eventual necessary disbanding of the team.

Nowadays, Nero spends his time assisting as best he can at the institute, hoping things don't get worse than they already have. A futile hope to be sure.

Edited by .:Advent Aeternale:.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

Lady and Gentlemen, I introduce to you... THE SENTRY!

Jacob Lee

Name: Jacob Lee

Codename: The Sentry (II)

Age: Unknown, safe to presume that he’s in his late twenties.

Moral Alignment: North

Faction: Good

Power(S): He has the ability to do simply amazing things. Enhanced Physical state, limited flight, and in extreme cases, the ability to use Photokinesis. There is, however a drawback to this. His powers are only activated by intense passions at the task at hand. AKA, just being Hot-Blooded. His powers have been shown to be affected by not only his mood, but the mood of others. Extreme despair will often null his powers. He has shown to to be his strongest during the daylight hours, while at night he can at best conjure up a fraction of his powers. Exposure to the negative zone can also completely shut off his powers so long as he's exposed to it. In addition to this, Jacob can only use one of these three powers at once, further limiting his usage of powers.

Appearance: Golden hair, dark eyes. Jacob stands dangerously close to six feet, and often dressed in some sort of formal attire such as a suit or the like.

Primary hand: Right

Voice: That sort of guy who just doesn't care about life anymore, and doesn't see much point in trying anything.

Weapons: Jacob carries no weapons.

Skills: Variety of skills, mostly involving survival skills.

Personality: Jacob Lee just has a distinct lack of caring for anything. Despite his depression and apathy being completely self-inflicted, it really gets the better of him at times. Jacob Lee’s depression is in fact a way for him to keep his powers under check. Since he discovered his powers were based off of his passion and caring for things, he forced apathy on himself to keep him from activating his powers on accident. Despite his apparent apathy, Jacob holds a deep care for everything and anything, especially if it involved his father.

Especially his father.

Weaknesses: Jacob’s powers are nulled by apathy on his part, or extreme despair on the part of people in his immediate vicinity. His powers are shown to be heavily neutered by night, and cases of exposure to the negative zone.

Bio: Jacob Lee is the son of Robert Reynolds and Lindy Lee. Unfortunately for him, his father disappeared after his birth, several years prior to the phoenix incident. Lindy Lee raised her son with full knowledge of The Sentry, and all of his exploits.

The problems began at the age of fifteen for Jacob. His mother died from cancer, and Jacob Lee learned more about his father. Especially the parts that involved the Void. Seeing how his father decided to wipe the memory of himself from almost everyone in the world, Jacob spent time learning how to properly use his skills, intending to become a superhero like his father before him when the time came.

The time has come. Donning the title of his father, Jacob goes forth now into the world to show to the common man that even though the Darkest Days had been upon them, there would be a brilliant golden light at the dawn… The Sentry had returned.

Little-known-facts: Unknown at the time.

Edited by Durandal Years

So, any S.H.I.E.L.D. agents interested in joining Tokiomi on an investigation group (mainly to find out just how the robot got there and where it came from)?. Only clincher is that it would have to be over half an hour after the explosion, because that's how long it will take for Tokiomi to get there.

Edited by Man of Miracles

Vivus kinda has nothing to do at the moment, so perhaps.

What tropes do you guys seriously admonish? From what I can tell, Rule of Cool, Rule of Funny, and MST3K Mantra seem to be the most hated. But are there any you guys don't mind? I'm asking this because I want to know what I could or could not do in order to not make you guys angry.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

What tropes do you guys seriously admonish? From what I can tell, Rule of Cool, Rule of Funny, and MST3K Mantra seem to be the most hated. But are there any you guys don't mind? I'm asking this because I want to know what I could or could not do in order to not make you guys angry.

Don't put things into tropes.

Just feel.

Plus, you don't need to worry about making us angry. Right now at least. I think most of us are still half-dead from finals.

Best advice that can be given has already been said. Do what the character would do.

And if it can possibly be arranged, watch the hope die in your enemies eyes. Then laugh.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

This is the old profile from XMDD. I will need to make some changes (especially Bio since it's been one year) to him, though I just don't know where. (Actually, I changed one of his weapons from XMDD)

Name: David Fortson

Codename: Marauder

Faction: SHIELD

Power(S): None

Appearance: Tall with brown hair. Scruffy short beard and mustache. Muscular built, scar on his left eye.

Weapons: M-16, knife, Colt M1911A1

Skills: Sniping, stealth, assassination, CQC

Personality: Likes to crack a bit of jokes from time to time. Likes doing his job by the books. (Might be missing something)

Weakness: Abdoman. (Sight of an old war wound.)

Bio: David came from a long line of soldiers. Starting with his grand-father in WWII. He enlisted in the Navy, which later he became a S.E.A.L. There he learned CQC, and how to kill silently and effectively. Due to his high skills and standards, he later joined SHIELD, in order to keep doing what he loves. Stealth.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

No trope makes me angry. In fact, I'm fond of them.

But, as the website dedicated to them notes, tropes are tools, and like any tool, you pick the ones that fit the situation. Tropes should rarely be used consciously, but if you find yourself using them, what you have to consider is the setting. In Gurren Lagann, Rule of Cool is not only fine, it is necessary. In The Three Stooges, Rule of Funny is the norm.

However, this is not one of these settings. This is Marvel, and a universe of our own making, at that. Those examples simply do not fit here except in very, very limited amounts, and very specific circumstances. Sciences need a pseudo science explanation for why they work, a mortal can beat a hero, and no, a lightning sword will not work, no matter how cool it might be.

In short, no tropes make me angry. Just be careful that the ones applied fit the setting.

@Flaredrick; You need to expand the profile. I'm not going to be a stickler on word limits, but that's simply too little for me to work with. In addition, you need to expand on his weakness a bit, so I can determine if it is adequate.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

I think we need a sane former Delta to come back. As such, time for a former Mech pilot from Darkest Days to show up again.

But without mech.

Name: Sayf Al-Dawla
Codename: Spear

Faction: None

Powers: None

Appearance: Dark, tanned skin, with a well-groomed black moustache and beard and shoulder length black hair, but with oddly green eyes. Relatively tall, as well.

Weapons: Sayf's preferred weapon is an old Browning Automatic Rifle, but rather heavily modified - it's been taken from what it originally was (an old surplus BAR) and turned into a .30-06 sniper's/designated marksman's rifle, with modern-made receiver and stock, high power scope, modern (and interchangeable) barrels, one a match grade 30 inch barrel, the other an 18 inch barrel, and the stock is collapsible, able to shorten the weapon from, with its smaller barrel, a 41 inch length to a 34 inch length.

His other weapon is an old pattern 1796 light cavalry sabre, with the rivets holding the hilt together ground down to provide a more comfortable grip. Its heavy iron scabbard is also useful as a weapon in and of itself - clubs work just as well or better than swords, in some cases.

Skills: Sayf is well trained with both his rifle and sabre, able to use them with a professional level of skill that is quite on par with that of most well trained military men - better, in the case of the sabre. They don't normally teach its use to those in the armed forces anymore. Aside from that, he's an able musician, trained to play the classical guitar.

Weakness: One might say that one of Sayf's weaknesses is his reticence when it comes to talking about the past. He always puts the past behind him, now, and doesn't allow it to drive his actions as much as he allows his character to do so. Beyond that, while he is able to fight in close quarters, he much prefers to remain far outside the middle of battle, taking targets out from long ranges with his rifle.

Personality: Sayf's personality is generally calm and serious, though not without an amount of humour and such tossed in. He's certainly driven, as well - give him a goal and he'll achieve it - though he's no longer driven by his hatred of mutants - he long since decided that wasn't worth it - but moreso just by a wish to do things right and solve problems that he can solve. As well, despite his occupation as a fighter (and killer), he generally detests causing death.

Bio: Sayf doesn't much care about his past. He cares about how he came to be where he is, but that is recent history, not old; formerly an Enforcer, he has long since lost his hatred of mutants, though he still holds a slight distaste for them - he just decided that there was little reason to hate them and so he convinced himself to stop. However, over the last year or so, he's been travelling about the world - ostensibly, he was on vacation; however, he acted more as a roving mercenary, or even a Knight Errant. He would give aid where aid was needed, generally with his rifle and his sword; and once whatever conflict he had helped to solve was finished, he moved on. Recently, he's come back to New York, where one might say most things started for him, having decided that it was long since time to find the members of his old team.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

That's a horrifically overpowered profile, Grochi. I think I otter not approve it,

Oh fine.

Because you asked nicely.

Sayf Approved +1. Looks like Jayne'll have his buddy after all.

fK5oqYf.jpg