How Do You Organize Lego?

turtleman

I was thinking of organizing my legos mainly my bionicle pieces. Currently I have my bionicles in 3 big bins, 2 small bins of minifigures, and then a trillion and a half unorganized bins of system bricks. How should I organize my bionicles? What way has worked out best for you guys who have organized legos, color? type? or something else?

• Upvote 1

"EXTERMINATE"-Dalek #1 to #3458271

If you have a self MOC you would like me to build just PM me and I'll make it as long as I have the pieces.

3DS Friend Code: 4699-6562-6279

Pokemon Y safari: Audino, Dunsparce and Chansey

I have a few sets of drawers.

In one set... I have two drawers for System lego - one for general parts, one for basic bricks and small most-useful pieces. I have one drawer for big bulky system/technic parts and wheels/tires. I have one drawer for the rest of my system

In the other set (which is like 3 sets stacked atop each other)... I have one drawer for black, one for silver, one for rare items like masks and translucent/multicolored parts, and 7-8 drawers that each have a couple colors in them, bunched together (I should really invest in actual separators).

Basically, I find it most useful to sort by color, with a place or two set aside for small, rare, or highly used parts.

signature.png

Edited by Kayru

signature.png

I organize my bionicle parts using a shelf of small bins. The parts are separated by type. Parts with ball joints in one bin, socket joints in another. Masks, heads, and feet together, same with weapons.

I also keep the axels and pins separate, because they're a pain to find when they're in a bin together.

Minifigs are in one bin together. (except for rare ones and personal favorites, kept on a shelf.)

I just keep all lego brick in a bin, I don't use them as much.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I have mind sorted by a complex system of part usage, with clear plastic drawers for the smaller parts and big bins for the large/odd bits. However, I've found that this kind of stifles creativity a bit - at least for me - so if I had to give advice to someone on their organization, I'd go by color all the way. Of course, the more useful small bits probably deserve their own areas because of frequent usage and lack of size, but this really comes down to your style of building and what you find yourself using. I've almost completely reworked my drawers as I realize that I'm using some parts more than others.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Off lately, I use to get irritated while finding my LEGO bricks. Most of the time use to go in finding the misplaced pieces. Few days before, I was buying 5695 Doctors for my niece from this online toy store in India -Yellow Giraffe. There while buying I checked there blog and I got a great idea of "Labeling" my Lego bricks. So from now, I have started labeling my bins with small bricks and big bricks separately. Mini figures are kept in another bin with its concerned labeling.

So for me it is all about Labeling! :)

Edited by charu0802

Lately I've been working on sorting all the pieces available in LEGO Digital Designer, so all others are separate and I can make MOCs in plastic that I can easily then make in LDD too. (LDD Extended, of course.) Highly recommended. :) (Although that's best for System and Technic, not Bionicle, although HF would work... if I had any. :P)

Then I usually keep small parts separate from large parts. Like, pins and stuff. I've done it by color before too, but that proved too tedious IMO.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mostly the stuff i Organized is really, really, really small, mostly because most of the time my brain don't know the means of Organizing. But right now i am trying to Organize my HF piece by armor and bones, then add-on armor and HF Weapon parts.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Very little. Okay, I often keep certain kinds of parts lazily separated (technic beams in this bin, minifigs in this bag,) but a lot of it is still just thrown together. Getting everything fully sorted out and neatly stored is going to be my project for the new year.

I have several storage-size boxes for my BIONICLE collection, divided by year. The Manas have their own smaller box. 2010 is boxed with 2009, and there's a separate box for the 2004-2006 Titan sets. I keep my 2007 and 2009 large sets in drawers, except for my 2007 Playsets and 08/09 Vehicles, which are on shelves because they're too big/fragile. My paltry Hero Factory collection (five sets) recently got promoted from a drawer to its own box. I keep my combiner models (I only have three, and they're small ones) with my two Slizer models in another drawer (the drawers above the one I keep unfinished sets, instructions manuals, and the Star Wars Buildable Galaxy Planets in).

My BIONICLE media is kept in a drawer (in the same dresser as my 07/09 large sets), except for the movies, which are on a shelf adjacent to my TV with my other DVDs. My CDs are kept on the shelf, too.

My Star Wars collection is what I keep on display, because, as LEGO System sets, they're too fragile to go in boxes. I have a small drawer where I keep things like Kanohi and other collectibles, the extra weapons and squids from the 2007 Playsets, extra clone headgear from Star Wars, and just miscellaneous stuff.

I legitimately worry I might have OCD sometimes.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I put my Bionicle pieces in bins that correspond with what type of piece goes in it ; Ex. feet in feet, sockets w/ sockets, that kind of simple stuff. My Lego bricks are all mixed up in a bin that also has Tyco and Mega Bloks in it. Fun.

Edited by TechnicRage

• 4 weeks later...

Most of my LEGO parts are organised in drawers or bins by design ID in my basement, though I have various boxes of assorted parts in my bedroom, mostly from sets I had built in my room but broke apart or I took apart.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

One box, all Bionicles.

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

One box, all Bionicles.

Same exact thing here. although i plan to orginise it in quarter and galon zip bags. plus I have some lego parts mixed in.

btw Turtleman, If you want to make orginising easier if you have thousands of bricks i got a three step process on how to do it, orginise the parts by part catagory, then orginise them by actual part, then organise them by color, it might take a long time but it should be worth it when you build that next model.

For System pieces (spares), I have several containers with divisions. The pieces are sorted by type.

(I make a special case for certain sets where I keep their pieces in one container, in case I want to rebuild the original set again).

As for Bionicle/Technic pieces, I just have these large boxes for them. Some of them, though, are lying on my display shelf.

16N1K4 elsewhere:

Instagram (MOC-focused)

personal blog

Whenever, I have that certain OCD compulsion I organize all my parts by color, even putting red and blue pins in their respective colors, it just seems easier that way.

Right now, however I just have all my BIONICLE part in a box a couple of feet behind me...

Lately I've been working on sorting all the pieces available in LEGO Digital Designer, so all others are separate and I can make MOCs in plastic that I can easily then make in LDD too. (LDD Extended, of course.) Highly recommended. :) (Although that's best for System and Technic, not Bionicle, although HF would work... if I had any. :P)

Then I usually keep small parts separate from large parts. Like, pins and stuff. I've done it by color before too, but that proved too tedious IMO.

This however, is a really great idea, and wish I had the space to do it.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

• 1 month later...

In theory, I have my system pieces sorted into these boxes: 2-by-x bricks, 1-by-x bricks, plates, slopes, Technic, large pieces, 1 stud sized pieces, minifigs and accessories, vehicle pieces, and misc. It's pretty complicated, and is never fully sorted for any extended period of time. I definitely need some sort of sorting system because of my large collection, but probably a less complex one. I remember a product you could buy that sorted pieces by sifting them through multiple layers of holey boxes that organized them by size, so I might try to build a larger version of that.

My Bionicle pieces aren't sored at the time being, but I might do a simple system of ball joints, the c shaped things that attach to ball joints (what are those called?), weapons, and other.

EDIT: That was a revival, wasn't it? Sorry.

Edit: Just in case you read this - revival is now 60 days, so your post is fine.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

I really need a better signature.

Organize... LEGOs...? *looks at big communal box of plastic*
I don't understand :P

My Bionicle/Technic box isn't exactly "organized" but I have several big zuplock bags of pieces that I dedicated to a particular MOC project, so I do have certain colors or certain type of pieces sorted into those, but for the most part I just dig for parts and hurt my hands in the process. It's all part of the fun :P

If I were to sit down and organize everything, I'd probably just isolate each color or similar colors. With Bionicle parts, I'd prolly have heads go on one place, feet in another, weapons and torsos and pins and y-sockets etc. I think a mix of tht would work best, similarly purposed parts sorted out and the rest of the miscellaneous stuff by color.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I organize my Legos into 2 boxes.

One for Technic (Bionicle, HF. etc.) and one for bricks. But that doesn't mean it made my life easier. Sometimes pieces would wind up in the other box or a weird crossover would happen.

Edited by Kaiser Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

I'm a huge stickler for color consistency, and thus I sort pieces by color. As for containers, I use old yogurt containers. For system, however, I've been in the process of sorting by piece type, though a large part of my collection remains disorganized, so I can't really comment on the effectiveness of it.

Let's see now...

System parts - largely disorganized:

• Four drawers: bulk of pieces; no pattern of arrangement.
  • One drawer: a bunch of small/interesting parts of which there are doubtless dozens others scattered throughout my other drawers.
  • One drawer: Exo-Force related parts and half-built Exo-Force sets
  • One drawer: half- and fully-built System MOCs and sets.
  • One bin: minifigs and their accessories.
  • Some sets on display on my dresser, some disassembled in their boxes, some disassembled completely.
  • Some other stuff floating around my room.

Bionicle/Technic parts - largely organized:

• Thirty-six(?) bins: each holds a different part type. Some parts are grouped together by similarity of function.
  • One bin: half-assembled sets and MOCs.
  • One box: assembled MOCs that I never fully unpacked from Brickfair '13.
  • Other MOCs are on display on my dresser. Sets are either on display or disassembled.
  • Some other stuff floating around my room.

Boxes are mostly in my closet, canisters are mostly in my attic. I'm currently in the process of organizing my instructions, which will eventually be stored in sheet protectors in four(?) two-inch binders.

Q2TtLEz.png

• 4 months later...

I always thought that organizing legos was overrated.

An old friend who had organized his lego parts into colors let me play with them when i was like five. 

He ended up hating me because I mixed some of them up :o

Now I have tons of friends and tons of unorganized legos and a extra OCD-bipolar girlfriend who leaves me every other month and bionicle is coming back in less than a year!

... as a mater of fact, maybe i should organize my legos.