BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

IC:

.:Guilty as charged. Sentence: Yet more paperwork.:.

The reply, I must admit, was a little flippant. And the Rora probably heard. At least, she would have, if she wasn't busy letting out a tirade that was turning the air bluer than her... Blueberry crumbcake. Truthfully, the rant she was giving was pretty creative. I hadn't realized some of those curses could be stringed together that way, and her vocabulary certainly rivaled any that I'd heard. Then again, she was pretty mad. I registered Rayuke's presence as he came to a stop next to me, pausing briefly. I didn't bother adjusting my stance to look at him; it was a habit of mine, and reportedly, some people find it very disconcerting. I don't mind too much, and figuring out the exact angle I would have to use to make it seem like I'm looking at them correct is far too much effort for casual conversation.

His comment about Inokio, however, was not a surprise. The anger emanating from down the hallway, combined with that of the Rora behind me, was almost palpable, a surge of negative emotion so intense I'm pretty sure it could make someone drop dead. Don't believe me? I've seen it happen. An angry Willhammer is a very, very unpleasant thing.

As the Executioner strides forwards to face the music, I follow; a pace behind and one to the right, as is my custom. Both out of habit, and for a pragmatic reason; when Rayuke draws his blade, he can easily strike left in the same motion. To strike right requires more time. Thus, I occupy the space within which I can faster than he can. I figured this out a while ago, but if I'm perfectly honest, I mostly do it out of habit. Following him from the left just doesn't seem quite right. But, at this point, I digress.

Wordlessly, I adjust my grip on my cane, tapping it along the floor as is my wont. The pressure emanating from the imminent Battlemaster was immense, almost threatening. I have little doubt that my charge can handle himself, even against the Korae Battlemaster. If, however, he is forced to block a strike himself, then I have already failed. The time required for me to draw the blade from my cane is less than a second. The time needed to interpose my cane between an incoming weapon and my charge is only slightly more. 

I am quiet as the confrontation approaches; it is not my place to deal with the Battlemaster, and in fact, an attempt to do so would likely only worsen the situation. Males do not react well to being rebuked by those perceived as beneath them. I will let him have his words with the Executioner.

Should he desire more than words, he shall myself in opposition.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC

What would I do without her...

A pace behind and to the right. So simple, so normal, so... inconsequential. Yet it was the little things like that which always garnered my attention. Granted, I may be quick on my feet for my size, I may have unusually quick reaction times for my frame, my arm strength was enough to take my blade and cleave in two any living being, but all that did not counter the simple fact that my swing still took time, the right being my exposed and indeed weak flank during my initial attack. With her being right there she is the perfect shield for my one weak spot, buying me time should the unthinkable happen. And I didn't even show her this. She just... learned. On her own. Through her own wits, intelligence, and observation. But her position by my side merely looked like the respectful distance kept by underling to her superior... the perfect placement.

It's the little things.

"Lord High Executioner!"

I turned the corner, and there he was. Or should I say, there they were. Inokio had not come alone, for behind him stood what looked like the entirety of the Rora's personal security detail, Dasaka and Dashi alike, all grim-faced and armed for Kanohi Dragon. That is, except for Inokio, as usual wearing minimal armor, instead opting for the open robe of his clan's color, deep orange, with a black belt around his waist. Clearly he himself did not come itching for a fight or planned on having his soldiers do it for him - if he was he would be wearing the standard opaque azure armor over his teal body. I'd never seen him wear it unless actively serving as a soldier, mostly because his powers and reputation were great enough that he didn't need much armor to protect himself adequately. Still, this conflict of messages interested me, causing me to wonder if it was done on purpose if only to throw me off balance.

"We need to talk."

"Indeed." I rumbled in reply, coming to halt just a few paces before him, assuming my normal casual position of spread-legs and arms clasped behind my back. I could feel my Shadow stiffen slightly; it irked her to no end that I would constantly put myself in more vulnerable positions when dealing with people, but experience had taught me that if someone thought they had the upper hand, they were less likely to instigate hostilities, not to mention looking less of a threat made that concept more crystal. "You seem... agitated."

"Yes, and I wonder why." came the dripping retort. "Do you have any idea what kind of spectacle you pulled back there? In front of who? And with whom!?"

"Lord Executioner... usurping the Rora's... influence, in... the Throne Room."

"This is not a board game, ######!" He waved a finger at me. "That is my charge that you humiliated back there! Do you understand the repercussions that your actions may cause? Believe me, I understand why you did that, everyone does, but that does not give you permission to do it! At least, not like that, not so drastically and with so many witnesses."

His usual kind and calm demeanor was cracking, his voice no longer gentle and with some force; clearly I struck a nerve somewhere. What I said next probably wouldn't help.

"Yes... it does."

He was dumbstruck for a full minute before replying. "What... how!?"

At that last world I could see his warriors tense, as if mentally preparing for an order soon to come. Ignoring them I continued. "Yes... because if you haven't... noticed, I am now in a... difficult position."

I broke eye contact, looking at the floor. "With the death of... Yusanora, I am now the... patriarch of the family. I bear the... responsibility of... rearing and training the... younger generation and preserving the... honor of the clan. Yet I am still the... Lord High Executioner. I am to be... apart and above family, to be separate from... the politics and games of nobles, to serve... the Rora unquestionably, to... maintain Order and Justice. I am simultaneously my... niece's superior and... her humble servant. I must find... balance between... the roles."

Inokio didn't reply immediately, instead taking a long moment to weigh what I said as he evaluated me. "Alright, I can see some reasoning behind your actions, but why break tradition completely and barge into the Throne Room unannounced and order court around like you were Zuto-Nui herself? I've seen you execute someone for less. What could possibly be so important that you risk such dishonor and possible political travesty-"

:Because Jasik is innocent:

The thought blew across every consciousness in the immediate vicinity like a firework on Founding Day. Inokio stood there in absolute shock, as did all his soldiers. Pressing the advantage I continued :Yes, the First Son of Clan Dastana did not kill the late Rora, and I have witnesses to my interrogation. This unfortunately leaves more questions than answers, stuck with an even more pressing concern than a spoiled Rora - there is a murderer on the loose, one that can duplicate Soulsword weapons:

I took a step forward, leaning down and onto Inokio slightly :And if you do not understand the implications, allow me to extrapolate; weapons created by Soulswords are as unique as the individual wielding them as both the mind and soul are put into its creation. Yet here we are with an individual who not only can copy that ability, but also has the skills to enter into a secured platform unnoticed, move about undetected, and then leave without anyone getting as much as a trace. Not only is this person a master of the mind, but also had help - help from the inside. Otherwise it would have been impossible to get in and away so cleanly. Which means everyone here is suspect. Everyone. To find this individual should be our top priority, but even that pales to what else I learned while talking to the Dastana twins:

The Battlemaster looked a little pale as the full scope of what I just said sunk in :There's more?:

:Yes, there is:

I paused, unsure how to to word this.

:The possibility of outright civil war:

Edited by Friar Tuck
  • Upvote 2

Living large... like clown-shoe size large. Complete with nose, rainbow-colored hair, and a bottle of seltzer water.

tumblr_lrgowllgeP1qzda76o1_500.jpg

IC Wisp

On a green hill on Odaiba, a lone Dasaka sat, whistling to herself.

Her only defining feature was the cloak and hood she was wearing (which sort of defeated the purpose of sitting in the sun in the first place); otherwise, she was completely nondescript. The woman formerly known as Angkasa was nothing out of the ordinary, and that was how it should be.

Staring over the bridge connecting to Iki, the once-Zrupgar continued to whistle a tune to herself, absentmindedly weaving what started as a grass bracelet but ended up becoming this long... Rope-like thing. She had nothing to do, no jobs currently lined up, and enough money to survive for the next few weeks. She could take a break.

If the world would let her, that is. Ever since the whole incident at the party happened, the Archipelago was on high alert, and free agents such as herself were under immense scrutiny. She would have to attach herself to one of the clans very soon, if only for her own protection. Until then, she was ronin, and ronin were few and far between; for all intents and purposes, she was alone, with no allies and many enemies. "I wonder who would be a good friend..."

Ic:

"Tell me, as your clansmen serve as retainers for the Rora..."

Jiyu's one eye narrowed, unconsciously grinding his teeth as he took in the sight of the Hogo Toroshu. How frail she looked in comparison, how reserved... He wondered if she ever had a single thought that forced her to go against her silly, pathetic, inborn loyalty to those who are innately wrong.

"How well does Yumiwa enjoy her cakes, while her people die like mindless beasts?"

Edited by Hatty Hattington

IC: Noshima

"I cannot speak for my liege's taste in pastries," replied Noshima, her voice light, yet carrying a certain, nearly unoticeable bitterness.

People were .. Dissatisfied with the Rora. She understood clearly. The conflict did not assist matters. It was clear that Jiyu was strongly affected by Empress Yumiwa's inaction.

Her clan was a shield. Yet there was regrettably little the Hogo could do. Too little of them to do too much. If the empire were to survive this turmoil, it would have to fall to her liege to truly induce great change.

Yumiwa needed to be stronger. Needed to.

Harmony could not arise if a nation's leader was weak.

Ic:

"I know what you're thinking. Everyone's thinking it. She's weak and frivolous. She will spend her time lounging about in her crystal palace, eating cake and bossing the nobles about like her little pawns," he said, an edge slowly creeping into his voice.

"By fate, my family is intertwined with hers. When she returns, my sister will have to stand by her side and try to convince her to grow up and quit acting like a spoiled child. That is, if the empire isn't burning by then."

IC Seiryu

Seiryu was looking over reports, as was usual.

"They should affix an elaborate badge on my person and dub me the 'Grand Lord Secretary' if this pattern continues," he thought to himself in a rare moment of humor.

The reports were troubling but relieving at the same time. According to both their informants in enemy territory and Minami's Iden patrols, all of the rival factions of the currently divided Kyoshi had halted all of their military action against Amakusa-Matou-Sai territory. Instead, they seemed to either be fortifying their fortresses or moving their operations from Odaiba and Oki to either Sado, Kuzo, or Iki. Mostly the latter; many of the Kyoshi were still sympathetic to their Dastana foremothers. On the one hand, that meant that Minami and Amakusa territory wasn't in immediate danger anymore, but on the other, working with the other Dastana-aligned factions might prove, well, troublesome. That would have to be dealt with when the time came, though.

Other news: the final prototypes for what looked like a miniaturized rebreather (well, not so miniaturized, as he found out when he saw the final designs) were undergoing testing. If it worked, it would help contain Minami's breath-somehow, it seemed to be toxic, as those exposed to it seemed to be catching the disease themselves... Was it miasma? Or perhaps it was particles in the breath, or vapour? Anyways, it was theorized that giving Minami a self-contained air supply would greatly lower the chances of infecting other people... Somehow. There was the problem of what to do with stale air though; maybe bottle it up and use it as bio-grenades? Seiryu didn't know...

That tangent aside, unless Minami was currently spying on Toroshu Arsix and her brother, Seiryu would have to talk with the Dastana Twins at a later point; the clan had thrown their support behind the Twins but other than that, not much had been discussed. Plans would have to be made-or if they were already made, they would need to be adjusted to fit Kyoshi into them. Although, standing on the sidelines in a safe and cozy fortress and watching the world burn wasn't such a bad thing...

IC: Noshima

The pressure in the air rose. Noshima's eyes locked onto Jiyu's, her gaze filled with a cold intensity.

"Failing in my duty is unacceptable."

It was a simple statement, but every word carried the weight of her convictions. She spoke not simply as the Toroshu of the Hogo, but as herself, a devoted servant of the Empire and protector of order and justice. Her duty extended beyond the simple confines of the Crown. It may have been a philosophy she had been raised upon, but Noshima did not regret serving as the aegis that guarded the people of Kentoku and the empire.

IC: Eldani Kyoshi Drakata (Odaiba)

Minami looked like she was dead. Her body was emotionless, her mouth was open, there were no signs of life. But I knew that she was alive. Her spirit had just left its home, wandered away, soaring through the skies. Minami often enjoyed using her Kanohi Iden, for she was too weak to leave the castle (or even walk for that matter), to venture outside to see the world beyond by herself. I entertained the thought of killing the lifeless, defensless corpse, but even if I would stage it to look like an accident, someone would still suspect me. No, I would wait. Plans take time to come to fruition, and I'm willing to wait.

I am sitting on a comfortable velvet-covered wooden chair, watching over her body while she 'visited' the royal palace. She had decided to join the Dastana in what was very likely to be a civil war. There were news of riots in the streets of Sado, and unrest on other islands. This decision of hers was oddly timed, because our clan is being sundered apart as well. Minami has no heir, and is likely to die soon. Many Kyoshi are declaring themselves heirs, pointing at their family trees and rummaging through ancient inheritance laws. Me? I waited. I had a plan already. Right now, the only thing I could do was wait.

I continue to read the book in my hands while Minami is away. I am her advisor, and to some extent, a guardian and a caretaker. And I have no intention to betray her. I have no need to, for she will perish any day now. As in any game that requires thought, consideration and contemplation, patience is important in the game of thrones. The only thing I can do is wait.

Edited by Daniel the Finlander

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

[sado, Royal Palace]

Morie, Toroshu of the Plangori clan, stood serenely in the throne room, despite the commotion above.  She was dressed in a simple, pure white cotton robe of mourning,with her clans ancient sash of office rapped around her waist.  The old dasaka cut a huge contrast to the opulence of the court, but she exuded a quiet dignity that well made up for her lack of jewels.  She held bundle in her hand, neatly tied with a cloth of the deep royal purple that signified the crown.

“The Royal Executioner and the Rora are currently--indisposed.”

“Thank you,” Morie said to the guard, her voice flat.  “I gathered.  I also have a gift to present to the Chojo.  Is her Highness currently unoccupied?”

Edited by Yukiko

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

IC:
"You will fight the brat for your independence," Nera confirmed. Arsix and Jasik nodded back to her, gravely and in synchronization. "An ambitious goal."

Both Jasik and Arsix suddenly felt an icy wind scratching at the insides of their skulls as Nera breezed around their mental defenses. Both twins were well-trained in the art of resistance, but as their forces surged reflexively out to combat Nera, her cold wind darted through the cracks, petrified them, cradled and... mollified them. Though it could have fought them - and probably won - the voice on the icy air soothed the Dastana Twins' concerns with its frigid fingertips. Kuno felt his mother extend herself, and intent on hearing the conversation, he followed suit, the rolling tides of his own mind activating on the mental plane--

--another mind, nearby, not one of the Dastana guards, there were none outside--

--Kuno's waters sloshed in the opposite direction, reversing their course away from the twins' mental space and towards the unknown presence. The eavesdropper's feel was shaky, like Ideatalk over too long a distance; Kuno could immediately recognize the use of a Kanohi Iden, as he himself possessed one and often pulled the same trick as this spy. Intent on drowning the intruder's mind as quickly as he could, Kuno's ocean raged forth at it a relentless tide of will and weight, a brute force assault that had wiped out minds easy before.

Meanwhile, Nera - unaware of, or more likely, unconcerned with, the proximate struggle - addressed the twins inside their minds. :The child Rora's inevitable ineptitude will not win your revolution for you,: Nera's winter wind whispered. :The more Toroshu you sway to your side, the fewer that the Umbralines - I don't mean Yumiwa; you've shown Rayuke your whole hand, and their clan is so large that it's not without its competent strategists - will be able to wield against you when war breaks out. The Umbralines own families, they know where to exert pressure when they want to. You'll have to make your allies before they make theirs. Were I in your place, I would turn to the Taajar. The ships of their wrath have sat long in harbor.:

test2.png

IC Minami

Whatthehellwhatisthis-!!!

Minami's spirit form recoiled, sent reeling from Kuno's mental assault. She immediately withdrew as fast as possible, traversing the distance between the Twin's room and the her current resting place with great speed. She closed her eyes and-

-"GASP!!!" This time, waking up was much more painful. Unconsciously lashing out with her Mindarm at a nearby table, she entered a coughing fit, spraying blood onto the floor in front of her. Dizzy from the Fursic First Son's assault, the world spun around her fading into and out of black. Kuno had probably found out her identity at the very least, if not her current location; she only hoped that he would recognize her as a friend of the Dastana and not a foe. The world continued to spin...

Edited by namcurtsnoC