BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

IC(Moeru and Rida):

My sister.

My. . Sister.

Rida may be my Toroshu, but she's still my sister. My younger sister, too.

Thus, her scolding and lecturing me as if I were her son is a little frustrating, to say the least.

"Yes, okay?" I say, a bit agitated. "I came here when I was supposed to be working, and when I got here I got yelled at by Princess Desdemona. Point is, it's over and done. You want a drink?"

CRASH.

I'm not super-connected to the mental plane for a Menti, but .

That hurt.

Okay, Moeru. Pull your head together. Breath in. Breath out. Okay, I'm alright.

My sister, on the other hand, stumbles backward, surprised. Her connection to the mental plane is already less than stable, and this threatens to sever it.

Within a couple of seconds, however, she regains her balance and straightens back up.

"You know what, fine. It's done, for better or for worse, so we might as well enjoy the party."

Her Imperial Majesty the Rora, Yusanora!

Oh, you have got to be kidding me.

OOC: Moeru and Rida open for interaction.

:a::k::i:

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

OOC: Eyru, thanks for the quote that I’m shamelessly using, but giving credit here. :P Caerus is an awesome character with fabulous lines.

IC: Koga

Soraph’s feathery breath tickled across his ear and down his neck. With it came the scent of wine. He reminded himself for all her beauty Soraph was a creature of power. She flaunted it in her stride the power of physical attraction. She flaunted it in her costume the power and cunning of the snake. Soraph flaunted power in her words, so sure of the outcome when the game had yet to begin. Koga couldn’t help but enjoy her aura of independence, her avid hunger for power. It was the origin of his own desire, he realized, and he wanted more. They continued to dance and slowly if felt as if the rest of the world fell away, until there was only Koga and Soraph and the beating of the drum.

“Secrets stay safest when buried,” Koga replied. It was a quote from an old text, an obscure history of the Tajaar before their subservience to the Rora’s empire. It would have surprised the first son greatly if his dancing partner knew the quote. Of course, he couldn’t leave all his answer to the words of the dead. “What would one know of fire if they left it alone? Curiosity and exploration, such as with the upcoming trip to the Eastern Island, are perhaps the origin of all knowledge."

IC:

Her heart beat to the same rhythm of the music, each thunderous crash mirroring the pulse of heated blood in her own body and the First Son's. The party around them was gone, replaced with an overbearing ocean of heat and music and mystery. Soraph and Koga danced in their small bubble, swaying with the ebb and flow of sound. A few beads of sweat rolled down Soraph's forehead, the intensity of Koga's costume finally having an effect. Soraph didn't complain; she rather enjoyed the warmth and sensation.

"Without fire, you'd forever live in the cold darkness of night. Light is a small price to pay for the risk of getting burned."

Soraph paused, the dancing coming to a temporary end as the scope of Koga's words became apparent. They were still now, and Soraph's eyes widened in awe and surprise.

"Are you saying you'll be going on the expedition to Mata-Nui?!"

If he was, then Soraph couldn't help but feel admiration for the Daikura First Son. To be counted among those chosen was an incredible accomplishment sure to bring honour and respect to those lucky few. Whatever else Koga said, he had been busy since that Paero game, and had taken her words to heart to search for power. And yet at the same time, Soraph felt a pang of hurt; if Koga left to Mata-Nui, Soraph wouldn't seem him again for months, and the Vilda princess wasn't entirely accepting of that reality. She'd known the First Son only a little while, but had grown quite fond of him in that time; Soraph had hoped she'd be able to continue seeing Koga.

With an expression somewhere between fear and reverence, Soraph looked questioningly into Koga's eyes for an answer.

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?

IC: Koga

Soraph’s face was a canvas of emotion, painted with the strokes of worry and reverence. He felt proud of her intellect, having divined the truth from such a small, even offhand, clue, but gave no cause to reveal his feelings unlike the Vilda princess. He stood stoic on the dance floor with her in his arms.

“Would you miss me if I was?"

IC:

"Hardly" replied Soraph recovering from her momentary lapse of emotional concealment.

This was a game, and Soraph could play it well.

"There are dozens of First Sons's for me to dance with here and with whom to share dinner. Some might even be fascinating enough to talk to. But you've yet to send me my winnings, and I couldn't let you leave without paying me my spoils. And truthfully, I would like to finally see you lose that Paero game; I've wondered if it's true that those that can't do, teach" Soraph cracked, referred to Koga's clan heritage.

:But would you miss me?:

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC: Vilda Mako (Dragon Hall)

Soraph and Koga had come to a temporary lull in their dance, and I took the opportunity to crash in the two lovebirds' palace.

Yes, Koga, you've got some moves, and it's pretty darn clear that you two are pretty fond of each other, but we'll just see how far that goes. Besides, First Sons, as you know, aren't my favorite people in the world.

It was an almost innocent tug on Soraph's dress that got her attention.

"Soraph, if you don't mind me butting in, but there's actually quite a few things I need to tell you"

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC:

Soraph was yanked from her shared reverie with Koga by a faint tug on her dress. The Hall came flooding back into the view, along with all the waiters and drunken partygoers. Annoyed that'd been so rudely disturbed, Soraph turned her head around to look for the cause of the intrusion.

"Soraph, if you don't mind me butting in, but there's actually quite a few things I need to tell you"

The Vilda heiress' face softened when she recognized Mako the Datsue.

:Is it important? I was in the middle of a dance: she Willhammered into her fellow Vilda's mind. Mako was a good friend and Soraph doubted he would intentionally sabotage her exchange with the First Son, but she wanted to be sure it wasn't for a silly reason like (finally) getting Soraph her drink.

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

"Well first of all I finally got you your drink, here you g-" I was stopped there when I realized the glass I was holding was empty yet again. I muttered something inaudible as I evacuated the glass onto the tray of a passing waitress.

I responded with my own Willhammering to avoid prying minds as I gave Soraph a quick recount of my encounter with Relisai, seeing her eyes widen considerably.

:So long story short, Relisai is in seriously hot water and might just end up losing her position, and I think we both know what that means, don't we?:

I smiled cleverly.

:However before she was arrested, Relisai agreed with Yumiwa to let you come along to Mata Nui, if of course that's what you want, just saying the opportunity's there. And thirdly:

I took a moment of stillness, the Willhammer's equivalent of drawing a breath.

:Thirdly; I've been given a shot at joining the expedition too, all I need is two recommendations, and I'm still one short. Think you can help an old man out?:

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC:

Soraph projected nothing across the mental plane as she considered the enormity of what Mako had told her. All three points were major news to the Vilda princess, and it was almost funny to think she could digest it all at once. She had to admit though, Mako had had important information to tell her, there was no denying it. In the future, Soraph would have to give the Datsue a little more credit.

:I knew my aunt was in some sort of trouble when she was thrown out of the party, but removed from her position? I'm not sure if that's even possible, or if our clan would ever stand for it... but if it does happen, I suppose you'll have to speak to me a little more respectfully after my promotion: Soraph smiled back Mako.

Soraph glanced back at Koga, who was waiting patiently for the unheard conversation between Vilda to end. Soraph had thought she wouldn't see him if he left for Mata-Nui, but now that the Chojo had personally given her an invitation to join the expedition? Well, the two would see each other after all....

:Yes, I think I will go: Soraph told Mako. :How could I refuse an offer from the Chojo? And of course I'll give you a recommendation, Mako! You're a dear friend - it's silly that you would even ask, old man.:

Soraph watched Mako sigh in relief. She smirked.

:Iiiiffff: she began, and saw Mako suddenly tense up again, :you accompany me back to Oki. I'd like to see my mother again before we leave for Mata-Nui, it's been years since I've had the chance....: Soraph's thoughts trailed off. Because of her power-hungry and paranoid aunt Soraph had been practically forbidden to return to her home since coming to Sado. Besides for Mako and the other Vilda working in the Gardens, she hadn't seen any of friends or clanswomen since her exile. But the worst was not seeing her mother; though Robalta was technically allowed to travel where she wished, she cared too much for the clan to leave them even for a minute. Soraph understood that, and even agreed with it, but it still pained her that the only time she could see her mother was in her dreams. Other than that and the occasional letters they wrote to each other, Soraph was an orphan.

But Soraph would see her mother again before she left for Mata-Nui, and she would not let her aunt stop her now. Not this time.

:I'd like to have you, a friend, by my side when I return home. Also, if you want my recommendation, you better get me my drink!:

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

:I'd be more than happy to go with you to Oki, even I get homesick sometimes: I replied. That was an easy decison.

The drink wasn't any harder, what with all those waitresses milling about.

"Here you go" I said as I offered the glass I'd just snatched from a passing waitress.

"Still got it" I mumbled to myself in satisfaction.

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC:

"Thank you" Soraph said to Mako as she accepted the glass.

:About time:

She drank the contents quickly and then returned it to the Datsue's hands.

:And don't delude yourself: she added jokingly, overhearing Mako's comment. :I only agreed and asked you to travel with me because of Kama. Now, is there anything else, or can I return to my dance?:

Edited by Toa Fanixe

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

Serpent indeed, that's quite the acid tongue.

:No no, that's all, I'll see you around soon: I said as I turned and walked off, overhearing Kama's satisfied chirp from where she'd perched herself on my head.

A crowd of people had gathered near the entrance, where someone who was dwarfed by the greeter stood and made her social calls. It was no mistake about it, it was the Rora herself.

Now, Yusanora is a bit more my style compared to Yumiwa, mostly because my entire adult life she's been the Rora, it's just how things are the way I'm used to. And then there's the fact that, when all is said and done, Yusanora is mostly a cultural authority, a figurehead, she doesn't have all that much power over the Toroshu. She's a bit like a First Son, with her extremely revered status and her loads of responsibilities and very little say of her own (relatively speaking of course), only female and far, far more dignified and composed than all of them put together.

Might at least spare her a hello, so I walked over to the crowd of individuals in large part taller than me and her.

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC (Kilanya)

For the second time, a male voice from behind her interrupted Kilanya's melancholy. For the second time, she recognised it immediately. For the second time, she did not turn.

That was where the similarities ended.

It was Kulrik. He could not have been much less like Dakte if he'd tried.

Kulrik. The arrogant, jumped-up, slimy, lying, impudent creep. And he had to be here, now of all times. Her temper flared beneath the tinder of her grief - her well-practiced composure had spared him her ire before. Now she had no patience for him.

"I am fine, Kulrik," she said, sharp words cutting through the lump in her throat. "Please leave me in peace."

IC (Tazera)

The lieutenant rose.

"I'm all for mingling," she said. :And let's be honest...it'd be boring if this evening was all playing socialites and no real work, wouldn't it?:

IC (Enali)

As they crossed the Yards, and Kagesu asked her question, Enali shrugged shyly.

"Not much to tell about me, really," the young Menti said. "I'm learning to be a Menti, probably a Soulsword. I'm not very good yet..."

IC (Dakte)

Dakte had almost tripped on the stairs as he returned to the party as the psionic scream hit him. As it subsided, he winced, blinking and shaking his head from the onslaught. He was no Willhammer, but that had not felt like an attack...more like an outburst of uncontrollable emotion. For a moment he wondered whether it had been Kilanya, but no; he knew the touch of her mind. This one was unfamiliar, though its emotions were not...

He dismissed his thoughts of it. It would take a Willhammer to locate whomever had unleashed the scream, and with the number of people attending the party somebody would undoubtedly already be doing so. He would return to the party, and carry on as he'd intended.

As he opened the door, he slipped on a third mask beneath his Ruru and his costume: a genteel smile. It was easy to do; he'd had years to practise.

The drummer he'd spoken to earlier was performing. He recognised many of the traditional rhythms. Another time, they might have given him pleasure to listen to. Not tonight.

Edited by Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC:

Kulrik paused, the Toroshu's honed words forcing him to a stop. They sounded unreasonably stern considering he'd come to check up on Kilanya. And despite whatever the Ageru said, Kulrik could still detect something was wrong. He ignored her request, taking a few tentative steps forwards. The First Son had drunk more Bumboo than he'd intended and he was determined not to trip or stumble.

"I uhh, I wanted to apologize to you. My actions in your clan lands were uhhh, unbecoming of a guest and.... First Son. I should have been more gracious. I'd like to umm, apologize and hope you can, well, forgive me?" Kulrik repeated. With alcohol the likely culprit, Kulrik's words lost their practised charm and honeyed tones. In a rare moment for the Vilda First Son, his voice was extraordinarily vulnerable and sincere as he searched for acceptance. Kulrik considered Kilanya a level-headed friend, and felt guilty that he had probably ruined the relationship. Now, he just hoped he could fix it.

"You look very beautiful tonight..."Kulrik noted as his head drooped low. Raising it back up, he continued "I'm sorry. You know, times of hurt are, contrary to popular opinion, not supposed to be times of loneliness. It's not very good for you, and I should know."

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC:

While Yumiwa had taken her leave of the dais for the company of her mother, Jasik had similarly slipped away - making far less of a commotion doing so, for once - and weaved his way through the makeshift tapestry of the crowd and towards his sister, plucking her away onto the dance floor. He had such quick reflexes, and she such an uncanny resemblance, that it looked like she'd merely extracted herself from the conversation to slip further towards the heart of the Dragon Hall. When she looked up, eyes glowing and frustrated, he smiled at her. Slowly, they began to dance.

"You need to leave the party right now," he murmured, knowing that his words would be lost to all but her in the crowd. No Ideatalk. Her face was something else to behold under her mask.

"What? she hissed quietly back. "I can't leave now the Rora is here, my absence will be noted. Why are you staying. What did you say to the Chojo?"

"I'll tell you after I make my leave tonight. Everything. I promise. But right now, you need to go. They're ending the night with a fireworks display, and you've never liked fireworks." They were flashy and uncouth, and Arsix despised flashy and uncouth almost as much as Jasik embraced it. "Go. Now. We'll talk tonight."

Gently, he laid a kiss on the cold, crystal crown that she had nestled on her brow. The ornate mask warmed beneath his mouth.

"Now scatter. The fun part is over."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC:

The shock of the mental screech from moments before was completely forgotten by everyone – Nihi absolutely included – at the appearance of the Rora.

It was a rare instance for even the highest caste of Sado courtiers to bask in the Empress’ company; for a mere Menti warrior like Nihi, just seeing the Rora – indeed, being in the same (albeit huge) room as her – was an exceedingly rare instance. Although the latest chapter of her life had been filled with unexpected, unearned, and perhaps undesirable encounters with larger-than-life figures, never had Nihi felt so overawed by her outrageous luck as when it presented her with the sight of her regent. Though Nihi supposed, in a vague corner of her mind, that the Rora’s attendance at this party wasn’t too far-fetched – this was, after all, her daughter’s occasion, and all the most notable Toroshu of the empire were here – something in the Rora’s presence was utterly grand and fantastic. The ruler of the Kentoku Archipelago, the highest force in civilization, was here!

Nihi watched from afar as babbling supplicants assaulted the Rora from all directions, and she heard the void in the party’s murmur when they all went immediately quiet, which was whenever they so much as heard the Rora inhale. Both by virtue of her lofty position and her steel fortitude as a socialite, the Rora owned every Dasaka who lent her ear. Nihi was terrified by the prospect of joining her captive audience; both out of fear and out of admiration, Nihi dared not approach – and inevitably, with her history, subsequently dishonor herself before – her ruler. Besides, while Nihi was a guest at this party, she could not play by the same rules as the upper castes. The jostling circle keeping a tenuous berth about the Rora was not a friendly animal; if the party had taught Nihi one lesson, it was that she didn’t belong in it. Afraid of being drawn against her better judgment towards the magnetic Empress, Nihi resolved to keep playing her game from before, keep examining the members of the crowd.

Almost as soon as she’d started, a male Dasaka caught her eye. Like the Rora, the Dasaka wore no costume; but like Nihi, he hugged the wall. He was the largest male Nihi had ever seen – with this party now under her belt, Nihi had seen quite a few, so this meant something – being about a half-head taller than everyone else, and bulky with muscle. He leaned into a stone pillar, and looked very much at ease in his body, unlike the unnervingly upright nobility around him. Nihi recognized in his relaxed stance and peak physicality the body of a warrior who had not devoted reckonable time to the ways of the elite, something other Dasaka had noticed in Nihi all night. Instinctively, Nihi respected and trusted this male as she hadn’t trusted anyone she’d yet encountered on her bizarre adventure into the world of the privileged. He repositioned on the pillar, and something flashed at his hip; it was the hilt of a gargantuan sword, made of metal.

As Nihi noticed the warrior male’s idiosyncratic weapon, the caller made an announcement, but this time it wasn’t to alert the guests of a new arrival: it was to inform them that the fireworks display was about to begin. In tandem with this proclamation, Dashi Shadows opened the grand doors on the Dragon Hall’s seaward side, previously closed, revealing a stunning view of the clear night sky, the Sado docks, and the endless ocean beyond. Though the fresh portal afforded the partygoers a clear view from where they reveled of the demonstration that was yet to come, those wanting a better view surged forward to crowd the terrace and feel the salty breezes on their masked faces. Nihi, as was her wont, stayed back.

She watched as the Rora, escorted and aided by the hulking sword-bearing male, cut politely through the crowd and to a side door; moments later, the Empress and her companion were poised to see the show from the elevated balcony, which was opposite the sea window. The male leaned down to hear something the Rora said; he spoke a terse sentence back, and she smiled warmly at his slight frown. The Rora’s smile was contagious. Nihi had no idea what words had just been exchanged between the Rora and the warrior, but it didn’t matter to her unconsciously raised cheeks.

The fireworks display only made Nihi’s smile grow.

I already told you, Kuno didn’t do it.

The demonstration was spectacular in the most literal sense; it was spectacle unlike anything Nihi, and perhaps the rest of the crowd, had ever seen. There were terrific explosions of color, rains of sparkles and pops of stars and cascades of light in almost as many hues as were to be found in Nihi’s dress. The bangs were born with satisfactory frequency and volume; the smoke from the crackers obscured the twinkles of stars, but snaked and bloomed around the raining rainbow cinders in a way that accentuated them. The whole party gasped and whooped and stood raptly facing the display.

It was remarkable that Nihi, even while entertained by the fireworks, retained enough presence of mind to realize that she found them – indeed, the whole party, now that she thought more about it – to be, though impressive and diverting, ludicrous, and even condemnable. Was this really the life the wealthy led? Elaborate pyrotechnics, masquerade costumes, ice sculptures – any of which probably cost more than Nihi spent on food in a year – that would only be used once? How could it be that the ruling class of the Archipelago, those tasked with power by Zuto Nui’s will, was so… wasteful? Petty? Foolish? Lights flashed in their upturned eyes, and this satisfied them, even as Saihoko merchants hardly stayed afloat, as the Janu Bird disappeared from the Archipelago, as the Chaotic Six still roamed free. Nihi didn’t even see the fireworks anymore; they no longer entertained her. Again, but for entirely different reasons, Nihi believed vigorously that she did not belong at an event like this: now, though, it was because she felt oddly superior to the other guests.

That thought made Nihi do an internal double take. How dare she consider herself above the upper caste? It was not her place to think that way, and she was immediately ashamed of herself. Had Nihi really convinced herself that the leaders of her civilization were flawed? That the Toroshu, the Chojo, even the Rora – Such a thought didn’t bear thinking – even the Rora—

Nihi glanced back and up, intent on reassuring herself of her Empress’ worthiness of her love, just in time to see an orb of pulsing Soulsword energy burst like a cannonball outward through the center of the Rora’s chest.

The cavity in its torso smoking gently, the body of Rora Yusanora flopped into the balustrade of the balcony and slid down its inner face. The orb, having performed its function, dissolved in midair.

Nihi screamed at the same time as a particularly loud firework’s bang.

• Upvote 1

test2.png

IC (Ayiwah):

The commodore allowed herself a chuckle at the lieutenants words. Or maybe it was the first signs of the Bumboo showing an effect. Besides, if such an exquisite drink had failed to show any effect after ingesting an entire bottle's amount, she would have been disappointed.

:And that's why I love you as a first mate, Taz, you're always prepared for the worst case scenario in any situation - and totally nonchalant about it:

They made their was towards the stairs, but Ayiwah stopped shortly when they passed Inokio and Moeru again. She respectfully bowed her head once more at the Toroshu.

"If Battlemaster Inokio is unable to take your daughter on as a student, arrangements can be made for your daughter to being training at the yards. Or, we can indeed split the effort. However, this would most likely require the Battlemasters lessons to take place outside the military training schedule. I can not recommend letting your daughter skip class lessons to attend private ones, not without affecting the morale of the other Menti and risking her to become an outsider among them. In any case, I am sure a satisfactory arrangement can be made. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some business I must attend to."

Then, they descended the stairs from the dais and slipped into the crowd. A list of names was not too useful when everybody present was in costume, Ayiwah was aware. So, she had decided to start with the person that was the easiest to find: First son Dakte. She had gotten a good look at him and his outfit during his performance and it would be easiest to find him again among the partying nobles. Especially since Ayiwah had a strong feeling that he was not going to be in the thick of things - there just had been something in his performance that hinted at an underlying sadness. She doubted he was much in the mood for partying.

But not ten minutes after starting to take a look around there was another announcement, this time about fireworks. Of course. Immediately, the crowd began to move towards the opening doors, like a single-cell organism with the Rora as its nucleus. Now this was something most of the attendants would definitely watch.

:Small change of plans. We'll watch from the back and when the crowd files out again afterwards, we can pick out the candidates as they come back into the hall.:

And so the two Menti took up positions just past the entrance on the balcony; and for a few moments, enjoyed watching the fireworks unfold as well. Despite not being a fan of such social gatherings, the glittering lights against the night sky were something Ayiwah could enjoy. Normally, the explosions of light she witnessed were dangerous and were often lethal.

That's when she registered the scream, this one very much physical and not mental, faint against the thunder of another rocket bursting into lights. Her eyes zeroed in on the source and she spotted the familiar, thought obscured figure of Nihi, the Menti on the roof. But she was not the one hurt, she was merely reacting in shock. And less then a second later, more joined in. Suddenly tense, Ayiwah took a stern step forward. Then, through a gap between the heads of the crowd, she saw the figure of the Rora, slumped against the balustrade, a gaping wound in her torso. Her bodyguards were moving to make some room around the fallen empress. Then the gap closed again and as more of the guests noticed, chaos threatened to ensue. And only one word was on the commodore's mind:

Assassin.

She reacted quickly, despite her mind registering the shock of what had just happened. But there was no time for an emotional response yet. She was a soldier, first and foremost, trained to keep making decisions under circumstances that would make others freeze up. She immediately pulled off her masquerade mask and rushed towards the entrance doors to the balcony, calling for the guards to secure entrances and more importantly - exits.

As she stood between the double-doors, keeping an eye out for suspicious activity, her mind began to work at speed again, trying to make sense of what had transpired. There were enough individuals that were hungry for power in a way that they would risk such an assassination if they knew they could get away with it, but the Rora's presence at the party had been unannounced. Either, somebody at the party had boldly decided to make such a move after her sudden appearance - or the assassin(s?) had been informed about her arrival beforehand, which meant they were close enough to the royal family to know the Rora's daily schedule. Ayiwah was thankful that right now was not the time to fully consider the implications of the latter scenario.

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC:

There was a pop, a scream; a murder.

Jasik's brow furrowed and his lips pursed in thought for those few seconds, while Yusanora was suspended above the crowd. Her body hit the balcony and slid, leaving a smoking trail across the surface. Her eyes were wide and staring, her chest singed and smoking. She looked smaller in death. He saw Yumiwa screaming, watched Rayuke and the Commodore Ayiwah move to secure any exit points, even as guests started trying to file out. Of the Princess Desdemona, no sign. The murder weapon had disappeared similarly; a bright beam of Soulsword energy that the delegation from Iki would have recognized anywhere until their dying days. Casually, he looked around for his sister, the family guards, Sheika...

Arsix had cleared security just in time. The Battlemaster was watching Jasik as intently as he watched her; he favored her with a slight, knowing smile and a mental wave, and he saw her snort in laughter. The Umbralines were scattering around him, busy and vengeful as killer bees.

Well, he thought, finishing off his flute and setting it down on the table with a more pronounced frown, this is damning.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC: Ahrusa

She had decided to stay behind at the drink fountain, feeling no need to join the rabble at the balcony. Right as she took a sip of her glass, she heard a loud blast like noise, and then a scream. Ahrusa immediately turned heard head towards the crowd. More were screaming and guards had been called. She quickly teleported over into the crowd, only to confirm her suspicions. The Rora laid dead slumped over the handrail, with a large hole in her chest. Ahrusa couldn't say she was surprised.

"What direction was she penetrated from", Ahrusa asked loudly. "If we can figure that out we could narrow our search, assuming the assailant didn't jump of the balcony." The weapon of choice was obviously a soulsword, no mistaking it. The burn marks were a match.

"Poor Cyclonus - Sworn To Reject A World That Hates and Fears Him. He And I Are Very Similar, Really: Two Reformed Characters Struggling To Make Our Way In Life. He Just Has Less Violent Coping Strategies." Whirl

My BZPRPG Characters

IC Seiryu

"The drummer does show much skill, as well as being familiar with the traditional forms-huh? They're starting fireworks already?" Seiryu turned in interest, having calmed down since the mental scream, and began following the crowd at the back...

Only for a scream to send him running to the front. Or middle, wherever it was. "Milady, may I inquire as to... What." Seeing her Imperial Majesty slumped over with a burning hole in her stomach, Seiryu's medic training immediately kicked in.

All Amakusa members had at least barebonrs emergency training, as part of their duties involved bringing emergency care to the critically wounded as well as the use of basic forensics to analyze the scene around someone they were too late to save. Fighting his way to the scene, he crouched down as near as the guards would let him. "I trust that a crime scene investigation team will be arriving soon, or is already here?" Seiryu asked, his voice heavy and serious. "We won't be needing much of an autopsy," he spoke, cringing at the sight of the dead monarch. "Did anybody see what happened?" he asked, raising his voice so that everybody could hear.

IC: (Hanako)

I had keep my distance from Yumiwa, even during the fireworks, I was fuming, trying to collect myself with each sip of wine. I slowly did, and as I was finally coming to terms with what happened. I heard screams and saw my Rora's body crumple to the ground, I moved to Yumi, securing the safety of her daughter is the first thing Yusanora would have wanted in a situation like this. Once they were secure, we could look into this. My heart broke though, lightning had struck twice in the few short weeks, I had lost my mother and aunt, and Yumi had lost their mother, and it hurt to see this happen to my friend, but i was also her protector, and her sister's, even if I was officially Yumi's handmaiden, I would always be a friend to both and they need me right now.

"I'm right here. We'll figure this out," I said. What could I say, her mother had been killed effectively in front of her, my mother had died faraway, and to natural causes. It wasn't the same, someone had it in for them, and my first thought was the Fursics, but what if that is what the assassin wanted. Wanted us to believe it was them? Either way speculation wouldn't help much here, with Ayiwah and her fellow Menti securing all entrances and exits, the Hogos keeping order. Medical personnel already checking on Yusanora. We'd find these killers and for the pain they had put my two best friends through, the price of pain for this assassin would be high.

Edited by Hanako Herupa

gallery_99567_147_39590.jpg

As the fireworks display began, I couldn't help but stand still amongst the crowd and enjoy the moment just between myself and Kama. Today had been a good day, the first one in a long time, too. I'd triumped over Relisai, I was nearly set to join the expedition to Mata Nui, and I'd made good acquaintance with the Chojo.

It was with a rare moment of exultation I grabbed a glass, letting it rise with the first rocket as the fireworks hit the sky like a crash against the heavens.

I stroked Kama's fathers as I let her nuzzle my cheek, appreciating the simple, earnest love my familiar showed me. Kama was my best friend in the whole world.

And then, a scream, a smoking corpse, chaos, upheaval.

And just like that, our tranquil moment was broken, and as the information washed over us like a cold, unforgiving river, our fellow instinct kicked in. The high-ranked noble was dead, assassinated, our client was dead, we had to act.

But Yusanora wasn't our client, I was retired, and at the party as an honored guest.

And still, still I was driven to act as my training dictated of me, a wolfish scowl appeared on my face as I swished through the crowd towards the entrance to the Rora' balcony. I caught a glimpse of the Commodore as I approached, knowing what she was there for. A good soldier, that woman.

"Commodore" I called as I squeezed through the crowd frantically trying to go in the other direction, with Kama perched on my head, her feathers bristling, my eyes wake and watchful.

It had been beaten into me from childhood, and I'd put it to use for countless millennia, I had to act.

"Upon the death of a client. Step one, secure the area" I saw that the Hogo had taken care of that.

"Step two, begin search for the culprit" they would probably get to that in due time, and I was too old for that.

"Step three, attend to the loved ones of the client"

Now that I could still do.

"The other Royals, the princesses, where are they?" I asked the Commodore fervently.

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: (Lhurai)

This complicated things quite a bit.

The Rora was dead. That was obvious. Almost out of habit my Soulsword began to form in my hand, but I willed it back into my thoughts. Not now. Now was not the time for action- the assassin as nowhere to be found. Now was the time for careful thought. My thoughts immediately went to Desdemona, and I briefly considered trying to comfort her, but I felt my heart being sucked into a whirlpool as I remembered her reaction to my speaking to her, and her obvious lack of interest. What had made me think she was going to want to talk to me? Even the guardswoman I had spoken with had displayed similar disdain. I wasn't the charming nobleman I had thought myself to be- I was a spoiled moron, akin to the Dashi living in the gutters when it came to relating to other people. I wasn't romantic, I wasn't elegant or beautiful, I was-

I was nothing.

With one last look at the party guests, who were all quite shaken by the assassination, I backed into the nearest corner and slumped against a wall, blinking off tears behind my ridiculous mask, fighting off the urge to bury my face into the folds of the "stylish" cloak that was more pointless than classy, and just placed my hands over my eyes, wishing now more than ever that I could choose to disappear.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

IC: Soraya [imperial Palace, Dragon Room]

Several things happened at once, or at least close enough that nobody was going to argue semantics about it.

Desdemona turned towards her, still distracted-

The fireworks display started up in earnest, drowning out her voice-

Soraya yelled again, "Hey, I said-"

There was a flash of light in the corner of her eye that seemed too far from the sky-

Another scream, hardly audible over the din, rang out-

Soraya saw Desdemona's world end.

Things just - stopped for a bit after that.

The Rora's body was falling slowly, as though it knew that when it hit the floor there was no turning back. Half a dozen bodyguards were already rushing towards her. Too late, Soraya thought automatically. A hole that big - nobody's going to patch that up. And not even a Plangori could fix that dress now; never mind the hole, there was no fixing the burn marks.

Dimly, something in the back of Soraya's mind realized insanity was getting a little too close for comfort and shut that train of thought down before it could reach its final destination of psychotic laughter.

Somewhere around then she thought, they've just lost their mother. Both of them. It's going to hurt.

A bit after that - whatever that meant - she thought, I guess I'm going to be telling off a Rora instead of a Chojo in the near future. Zuto Nui save us all.

And then Yusanora's body hit the ground, and time started again. Soraya took in two sharp breaths, spun, and looked out over the hall. The blast could have come from anywhere - odds are they were just targeting the Rora, nobody else, but -

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Ayiwah barking commands, and before she knew it she found herself doing the same. A pair of Umbraline guards were rooted to the ground, and without thinking she crossed the small distance between them and slapped one, hard. "Hey! Moron! Quit standing around! Go help the others seal the gorram doors, now!"

The one she'd slapped stared down at her. "Who do you think you-"

She slapped her again. "Shut up and listen! Go close the doors, go start taking names, and go do whatever Ayiwah needs you to do. Or do you want the Rora's killer to get away, or even better, get someone else?"

The guard opened her mouth to protest again, but her companion grabbed her by the arm; she looked down at Soraya one last time and then took off running.

She turned back to the hall; chaos was now the word of the day. And nestled among the madness was a single, silent triangle that stretched across the room - Desde, Yumi, and the pile of doll of metal and flesh that had been their mother.

Soraya spun back to Desde. "Desde? Hang on. This is going to hurt more than you can imagine, but right now you have to put that aside. You need to get through the next hour, and then I promise, you can let it out. But right now you and I both know you and her need to stand tall or this whole place is going to go up like a volcano."

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

IC:

I don't recall much about what happened.

When the Rora died and her body fell to the balcony floor, trailing smoke like a ghost leaving the ruined cavity of her chest, I remember that events seemed to occur simultaneously for a while. The crowd, once standing in still reverence of the firework displays, suddenly erupted in chaos. It was, it was unsettling. Took me a while to figure out what had happened. There was the sound of screaming and it sounded like the Chojo, now I suppose the Rora, and the barking of orders from the commodore, and if I had been watching this as play performed on the stage, I would have seen everything for what it was. But in the moment, it took me almost half a minute to realize that the Rora, now I suppose the body, was dead.

Murdered. Assassinated. Whatever you want to call it, one second she was alive, and the next--

The first thing that I did was take a drink of wine.

I didn't say anything.

Somehow I realized that the Hogo were sealing off the exits. Stupid, stupid; who do you think'll be their prime suspect? I set my flute down on the counter, made my way towards the crowd gathered around the body. Figured the safest place to be would be among concerned subjects. I might have blended in there; innocence by association. I stumbled, got pushed through the ensemble, almost like back in the Markets. Deja vu was hitting me hard, because I could've sworn I saw Amaki somewhere here--

Wait.

"Amaki!" I shouted, pushing against the crowd's influence, making my way towards the drummer. "What's going on here?"

I knew ###### well what was going on, though; why did I ask that?

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

Ayiwah's attention was all over the place, keeping track of everything going on around her, but her focus was on a single goal: Keeping everybody in the area they were in right now, locking down the palace as much as possible and getting a grip on the mess. Despite being out of uniform and clad in this scanty outfit with only ornate armor, she still radiated authority. A sergeant in the guard quickly moved up to her, reporting that the main-entrances were secured with the smaller ones nearly in completely lockdown as well. Ayiwah nodded.

"Make sure that happens and call in a squad of willhammers to screen the guests once we can start letting them out. But nobody is leaving until we have the situation under control. Nobody, understood?"

"Yes ma'am!" the sergeant acknowledged the order, then hurried off again.

Out of the corner of her eye, the commodore noticed a Datsue approaching her in a hurry, though despite the obvious age, he was quick on his feet. Ayiwah resolutely stepped in his path, keeping him from passing onto the balcony.

"The other Royals, the princesses, where are they?" he asked.

"They are safe; their retainers and handmaidens are attending to them." she replied, short and precise. She had only noticed Yumiwa on the balcony. Desdemona proved to be more elusive yet again, but she knew for a fact that the Hogo and Herupa would be protecting them both with their lives if necessary.

Then, mentally, she sternly asked :Who are you?: She was not going to take any chances, even though she was certain the Datsue was merely genuinely concerned.

Edited by Smaug the Terrible

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC:

For the second time in that quarter hour, a scream ripped through the air. For the second time, the world went deadly silent. For the second time, voices filled the air once again. For the first time, one had been silenced for the last time. The chaos that surrounded the event was unfathomable, the once-vibrant atmosphere now a melting plot of all the worst kind of emotions, a pot moments from overflowing. The universe had found a tipping point, and the effort to keep it from falling into the void would be herculean. Some nobles rushed for the exits, perhaps thinking themselves to be the next target, while others rushed forward to the body of what had once been the Rora.

In a vain effort to help, or to witness the 'joyous tidings' themselves? The cynical thought cut through the Umbraline Menti's mind quickly, as her faculties instantly reasserted themselves. She pushed off from her seat instantly, not sparing the time for her fellows. Her training had asserted itself instantly, cutting down any emotion or thought not immediately tied to her goal. She did not think of the princesses' loss, she did not think of what would befall the Umbraline. She did not think of her own family, and how they would react. Her own grief was far from her mind, fear not even daring to venture into view. In moments, her mind had been locked down, far tighter even than the Hogo's efforts. She had a duty to perform, to her clan, to the Empire, and to the Rora's memory. Her hand instantly sought the blade usually sheathed at her side, but of course, it was not there.

Her solution was simple; Without apology, or even more than a moment's thought, she pulled a blade from where it was sheathed at the side of a fleeing noble. As she moved with purpose into the crowd, she could hear an indignant screech follow her. Not that Sinshi cared; the noble wouldn't recognize her after tonight. Even if she could, Sinshi wasn't pondering the consequences. Psychophyical energy faintly flitted about the hand not clenching her newly-obtained weapon, ready to give to her a second one at a moment's notice. She moved through the crowd with graceful ease, her Calix allowing her to move swiftly through the chaotic currents and eddies of the living tide, moving inexorably towards her objective at a rapid pace. The Menti probably looked slightly ridiculous in her attire, sword in one hand, moving as she was. Even if the thought had breached the stoic mission-orientated state of her mind, she wouldn't have cared.

Any and all problems paled before what had occurred, and as such, were of no consequence. The exits were rapidly being sealed, and bodyguards had rushed forward to guard the princesses; They were as safe as they would be, in this situation. The Rora had been killed by a Soulsword projectile, which told them very little; But it left the possibility for further action, thus mandating the protection of the clan's important members. The Commodore could quite easily handle herself, and was backed up by the Lieutenant if she encountered trouble, and the princesses were under guard. Lady Xania was nowhere to be seen, but Sinshi had little doubt she was capable enough herself.

With all notable individuals accounted for and the exits sealed, that left one duty; Quelling the crowd. To that end, the Menti leaped up onto a table to gain a height advantage, and took a deep breath, steeling herself physically and mentally.

".:Remain still!:." The words rang sharply, an attempt to cut through the din of both the physical and mental plane. In the chaos, it was difficult to tell how effective it would be; But at least the people nearest her stopped short, obeying out of reflex before even looking to see who it was that dared give them orders. ".:Anyone who attempts flee will be labeled a suspect, and hunted down!:."

In the back of her mind, Sinshi was aware that she really wasn't in a position to be delivering commands, or ultimatums. She was a Menti, and unless Zuto Nui elected to bless her with the backing of someone more authoritative, she had almost no authority. But desperate times called for desperate measures, and Zataka take her if she was going to remain idle.

Consequences be ######.

IC:

"By Zataka's ti-" The Eiyu Toroshu swore, an event that would, in any other situation, have been considered noteworthy. But Nihonei was beyond caring. The unthinkable had happened, and of course, it happened the one time she visited Sado. Briefly, she wished she had concealed a weapon on her person; she had considered it, despite herself, but elected against it. By Zuto Nui, she was regretting that decision now. As the chaos swarmed around her, the mass of confused shouts and yells, both physical and mental, assailed her senses. Shutting out the worst of them, the normally collected and polite Toroshu shoved her way forcefully through the crowd, seeking the epicenter of the chaos.

As a scholar, the more she witnessed, sights, sounds, and smells, the more she could try and match to things she knew. The more information and advice she could provide. As a Toroshu, it was a necessity that she be able to see those things. Not only to set down so that it would never be forgotten, but also to do her best to help the Empire's leadership.

Zuto Nui rest them. Too young for such a burden.

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC:

"They are safe; their retainers and handmaidens are attending to them." she replied, short and precise. She had only noticed Yumiwa on the balcony. Desdemona proved to be more elusive yet again, but she knew for a fact that the Hogo and Herupa would be protecting them both with their lives if necessary.

Then, mentally, she sternly asked :Who are you?: She was not going to take any chances, even though she was certain the Datsue was merely genuinely concerned.

Yes, yes, to the point, short and simple. Focus, Mako, your age be , you still oughta know how to get a hold of yourself. Not like these spineless nobles who are running like a pack of frightened children.

:I am known as Mako, former bodyguard of Clan Vilda. When I noticed the commotion, and its origin, I immediately acted upon my old doctrine.:

That oughta do it, I took a careful step back as I felt Kama's heartbeat, quick and pounding like a Tajaar drum, she sought solace on my arm, nuzzling against my chest.

:Atta girl, easy, easy:

:Oh yeah, and the bird's with me:

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Noshima

The gates to the hall slammed shut with a bang, the closure now preventing anyone from trying to escape from the Hall. Members of the Hogo clan scurried around the room, taking up positions in front of all possible exits. All the guards that had been assigned to this event were highly experienced, and their years of training kicked in as they ensured that security would be kept. They had failed in their duty to the Empress, but they would not fail in their duty to the Crown. If the assassin were to escape, then they would have to fight their way through an entire clan, a clan that was brimming in righteous fury.

Chaos was everywhere in the Hall. If something was to happen, then there needed to be order. And Noshima needed to provide that order.

"Excuse me," she said quietly, pulling Sinshi off the table nearby, "your contribution is to be appreciated, but it can be one that can be provided to those that are of greater influence."

It was admirable how this young Menti wanted to help, but the Hogo Toroshu knew that there was simply no way anyone would listen. Her, on the other hand, held some prestige - the Hogo were known by all, especially due to their ancestral duty of protecting the Imperial Family. Many would most likely accuse her and her clan of failing to protect the Empress in this time, but that could be dealt with later. Reputation could recover.

"I wish to redirect the attention of the honoured guests to this humble one," she spoke loudly, voice filled with power and authority. People stopped and turned, her echoing voice finding its way towards all in the room. Of course, her attempts at mental communication had assisted, but her booming voice had left a greater imprint. "May all calm down in this time of grief, as to ensure that order is to be kept, and to assist in procuring the assassin who may still be present."

Providence demanded this.

She would speak, and they would listen.

IC(Moeru and Rida):

######.

That...just...######.

One second, the best fireworks display I've ever seen is shooting across the sky in front of me. Then, screaming, and I see the Rora, dead.

...######.

Rather than verbalizing any of this, I instinctually materialize my Soulsword and analyze what's going on. The faint smoke emerging from the hole in the Rora's chest suggests a Soulsword was used. The Commodore and the guards are locking down the party. Toroshu Hogo is attempting to calm the crowd, with some success.

Not seeing any immediate danger, I allow the Soulsword to dissipate, but remain prepared to summon it again if needed.

:a::k::i:

Edited by The Nold

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

OOC:

ellaria-sand.jpg

IC:

There were no words. Or any thoughts. All there was was... pain. Raw pain that came up like bile begging to be allowed escape and threatening to burn me from within otherwise. I reached up and slowly clapped my hands around my temples as I tried to hold back the torrent in my head, but no matter how much I wanted to bury my face in my palms I could only stare abjectly at the slumped body of my fallen mother before it was enveloped by the many responders. So long as I could see her I kept the reaction bottled, not out of rehearsal but pure shock. There needed to be a catalyst to finally unhinge my jaw and release the howling demon that choked me in my throat.

But as soon as the visage of her corpse was denied me I screeched. Oh lord did I screeeeeech, more forcefully than Jiyu's depressed outburst and overwhelming than a cavern of bats. I was so loud that my scream overcame the final firework's boom and people turned to see me because of it. Glasses shattered all around me as if on cue, their contents falling to the floor like my tears, but the final explosion of mine was mental as tendrils of my Mindarm power burst out and repulsed everything around me—handmaiden, servant, table, chair, crumbcake and steak alike were hurled away with equivalent abandon.

I screeched until my lungs could fund it no longer and then I collapsed, bending forward like a proud statue suddenly cleaved at the waist. My head would have struck the floor and broken my mask had it not been for Hana's intervention. As though she were my guardian angel, she swooped in and collected me at the waist. "I'm right here. We'll figure this out," she said kindly. I was glad she was with me. My other three handmaidens quickly came back to my side—first Zafin, then both Iglia and Thran—and stood guard over me, fanning out on all compass points in a show of resolute strength while tenderly ensuring my personal wellbeing. "You're safe with us, Yumi," Hana reminded me with a gentle whisper as she eased me back to my upright posture.

Inokio quickly joined us, though not as I'd have expected. He had apparently vaulted up from the lower levels and he descended onto my dais like a true bird of prey, landing before me with poise only he could master. Immediately, his soft voice had become hardened and his command was unquestioned, both by my circle and the squad of Clan Hogo troops who hastened to me as an added layer of protection.

"Use sequence #422," he ordered. The guards nodded comprehendingly. The Hogo and the imperial guard both had crafted dozens of operations to enact in the event of evacuating an imperial family member, complete with movements, formations, threat levels, room pathways and ultimate destinations. I wasn't sure what #422 entailed, but whatever it was Inokio knew best. After all, this is what he lived for. "Yumiwa," he said reassuringly to me, "we'll get you safely out of here."

"M-my sister?" I stammered.

"Already exited. She left before it happened, it seems."

I looked at the sea of people one last time, this time with scrutiny and not nonchalance. Somewhere down there was my most hated assassin, but all I could do now was deem the commodore and Toroshu Noshima fit for command of the scene. "Then let's go." It took all my composure to even speak comprehensible words at that time and I feared that at any instant I could relapse into a terrible fit, but now was not the time for further drama, not from me.

I silently followed the lead as my retinue, guards and friends led me away through one of the backdoors and into the network of the Palace.

Sequence #422 put us in the library, and I instantly figured out why. It was in a tower and perfectly hexagonal with only two exits, one up to the spire and one down from whence we came, for optimal defense. Any assassin who tracked us here would be instantly snuffed out; there was no place to hide in this huge chamber except in the pages of the books. All the same, the room was large enough to accommodate us and do research as needed, and, most importantly, it was a room I could be at ease in. Even my apartment wouldn't be as safe, what with its several points of entry, numerous hiding spots and treacherous hallways to it with rooms an army of killers could lie in wait in. Here, at least, things were contained.

I strode with some confidence to one of the chairs and slowly sat down to relax my muscles and lungs from our long run from the Dragon Hall. My dress wasn't as airy or free as my usual outfit of a skirt and cloak, so that made the run more awkward and I'd long since tossed the headdress away. The Hogo mooks guards took positions at every corner of the tall chamber while my handmaidens remained close by. Inokio paced to and fro a few yards away, grasping his chin like a mukau's udder as he puzzled over the events of the night.

"The assassin must have known Yusanora would be there," he pondered aloud. "This was not an opportune strike, it was keen and deliberate. The weapon was rough, but not the act."

This murder must have shaken Inokio as much as it did me. Yeah, it wasn't his mom who'd been killed, but as I said, protecting the Rora was the life he lived and breathed for most of his life. There was no telling how many attempts he'd foiled when he was in Mom's service, but the past didn't matter because this time the blade cut through and did its evil deed. This time he didn't foil the attack. For once, it wasn't his job. He must have been tormenting himself, wondering how differently things could have been if he hadn't retired all those years ago.

"Tea, mistress?" Thran offered me.

I shook my head. "No." I didn't want anything, surely nothing that could be found in this hall.

"But who could have known?" Inokio continued to himself as he strutted to and fro. "No. No. Maybe. No. Yes? No..." he said, sliding names and faces in his mind like a slideshow.

"Is there anything you want I can do—"

"No!" I shot back angrily. "For the goddess' sake, no! There's nothing anyone here can do to cheer me up. No sex toys, books, drinks, crumbcakes, not even drugs will make me feel better. You know why? Because they can't bring my mother back. That's what I want, Thran. So please, just... shut the #### up." There, in my library, with the company of friends and statues, I could be myself. There, in my library, I was allowed to be emotive. And if anyone dared tell me no, that I should be proper and poised like the princess I was, then I'd choke them myself. Goddess knows I needed something to strike right then.

"You're right," Inokio said, suddenly lucid and coming towards me slowly. It wasn't a confident advance, though, and for a split second my paranoia wanted to entertain the notion that Inokio was going to kill me or something freaky like that because his eyes were turned away and unlike how I'd never seen him before. But then, as the handmaidens gathered before me like they'd gotten some sort of cue from the battlemaster, I realized that what I was seeing was reverence, something these people weren't always required to show. "Yusanora isn't coming back."

Oh... I realized what they were leading to. I glanced nervously to Hanako, who's eyes were similarly downturned as she took on one of the most sacred things she could ever do.

It still pained me, though.

His next words were short, but they bore with them the weight of the world on me. They both made me shudder and empowered me beyond compare at once. All he said was, "As your humble subject, I swear myself to you, Your Imperial Majesty." All five suddenly bent their knees and looked to me expectantly. The Hogo guards in the circumference of the room did so as well, falling in fealty at the battlemaster's utterance of the worship.

"Your Majesty," Hanako breathed, words she likely never expected to say to me for decades more.

And so I rose from my seat, steeled my nerves and accepted their oaths as my deification with a dignified inhale and a gesture of gratitude. That was my apotheosis. Henceforth I was no longer a princess but the empress. My life would forever be changed.

I hoped I was ready for my new role.

IC:

"Amaki!" I shouted, pushing against the crowd's influence, making my way towards the drummer. "What's going on here?"

I knew ###### well what was going on, though; why did I ask that?

-Void

IC: Amaki

Amaki barely noticed the somewhat familiar being at her side.

"I ... don't ... I don't ..."

Why is this happening?!

IC (Kilanya)

"Beautiful?" the Toroshu replied with a bitter laugh, turning her head to look at the Vilda man. "With tears staining my eyes and sorrow twisting my face? I think not."

There was still a raggedness to her voice, but Kulrik's bumbling had managed to stir up a harsh and steely strength in it. She turned away again, letting another saltwater drop fall into the pool, no more than a straggler of the erstwhile torrent.

"I accept your apology, Kulrik, and I thank you for it," she said, "but do not presume to know what is 'good for me'. If you want my respect, then respect my word when I say that I need to be alone."

There. Kilanya was tempted to say more, but somehow she managed to keep herself from doing so - it helped that at that moment, the fireworks began and filled the air with noise to drown out any further words.

IC (Dakte)

Dakte approached the fateful balcony, grimly appraising the body of the Rora as nobles huddled around her. His personal feelings from the encounter with Kilanya firmly set aside, he turned away from the fallen empress and made for a group to whom he could be of more use.

He bowed quickly but respectfully to Noshima, Ayiwah and their associates.

"Toroshu, Commodore," he said. "If there is anything I can do, I stand ready."

IC (Tazera)

Tazera had been the model of level-headedness as she helped Ayiwah coordinate the guards to contain the situation, but in a moment of lull as she stood at her friend and commander's side, she uttered a few quiet words, her voice dulled by the shock of events.

"I think you said something about the worst-case scenario, Aya..."

Edited by Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC: Xania | The Dragon Hall

Twirling around with light head and beautiful music with Sinshi before her - Xania could not ask for a better evening. She found herself enjoying the party more and more, and so she enjoyed the presence of Sinshi. Her courage and mind inspired and captivated Dasaka. Xania wanted to know her closer, at least to be her friend and have talks once in awhile. She was very lonely her whole life, but this loneliness never bothered her before, until this moment. Past life seemed empty to her now, now that she has a new interest and desire.

"Is it alcohol clouding my senses?" she though to herself as her hand gently held Sinshi's.

Xania wouldn't dare to answer this question herself. Not now.

A mental shriek disturbed her warm trance.

She tried to squeeze Sinshi's hand from shock, but Menti was already tense and vigilant. Her face made Dasaka smile a little, and she felt regret that this smile was not seen to Sinshi.

"My apologies, Lady Xania... I think I need to sit down for a minute."

And so she disappeared in a crowd, leaving Xania's hand hanging in midair.

"Wait!.." gasped Dasaka, but it was too late., her voice drowning into crowd's buzz.

Xania sighed, holding her hands together and fiddling with one of her bracelets. Warm smile returned to her face, and she continued to dance because there was nothing left to do. Listening to music and moving her body mirroring the rhythms there was a lot of space left for her to think.

Above all, she was a soldier, and as Umbraline, the one that upholds balance and neutrality. It's what she dedicated herself to for past years: improving her mind and body to better her performance as "aggressive negotiator". She never had a thought and chance to enjoy something as simple as party, even if it was struck by Princess herself. She always overlooked such things, discarding them as meaningless waste of time, but now she found something more in this. She started to like it.

Her thoughts were abruptly cut as the most unexpected thing happened: the arrival of Rora Yusanora. A figure of such importance never graced Xania before, and she felt euphoria rising in her again. She quickly swallowed it with another shot of tequila, as nobles made their way closer to Rora. Xania, on the other hand, tried to distance herself away. She had no interest in upcoming talks and whispers.

As party progressed, she heard that a fireworks show is nearing. "Yet another meaningless waste of time," she sighed to herself, leading her finger around glass with some juice in it that she snatched a bit earlier. All of this started to make her bored and tired, and she thought about departing really soon. And so she stood up, drinking last bits of juice to clarify her tipsy head.

A shriek pierced her ears once again, now physical. Xania squeezed her glass and frantically looked around to understand what's happening. A lump of air stuck in her throat as realization came to her. She blinked and looked away, cursing at herself for looking, yet thoughts and images flashed before her closed eyes.

The Rora is dead.

Xania covered her mouth as guards and Menti stood up to protect Chojo and her sister. Exits were closed, panic erupted in crowd. Dasaka slumped to wall nearby and glass fell from her hand, yet sound of it falling never made it to her ears. Instead, she heard a familiar voice from afar. "Sinshi," she recognized it immediately and gathered herself.

".:Remain still!:..:Anyone who attempts flee will be labeled a suspect, and hunted down!:."

"Oh, Sinshi, you silly girl," thought Xania, carefully making her way through the crowd to table where Sinshi announced herself.

Not halfway through, Sinshi disappeared, brought down by hands of Toroshu Noshima of Clan Hogo. Dasaka sped up, not caring for pushing nobles away.

"I wish to redirect the attention of the honoured guests to this humble one, May all calm down in this time of grief, as to ensure that order is to be kept, and to assist in procuring the assassin who may still be present."

Noshima's voice was as loud as it was demanding. Crowd started collecting themselves and voices seemed to lower.

At this moment, Xania finally made her way to Sinshi and immediately grabbed her hand.

"Please excuse her, Toroshu," Xania spoke, tugging Sinshi away. "You are almost like a star today, Sinshi. All attention is on you. Let's go find Ayiwah, I saw her here somewhere," she whispered to Menti as they left Noshima alone.

IC:

Kulrik stood in silent watch as fireworks lit up the night sky and bursts of colour reflected and refracted through the crystal towers of Sado. There was nothing he could say now, not while the bangs of hundreds of explosions drowned out even the thoughts in his head. It was an impressive show - of course the Chojo would not let such a silly thing as expense diminish her party - so Kulrik took the opportunity to admire the visual symphony, keeping his distance from the Ageru Toroshu.

A while later the show began to subside, and after a particularly impressive finale, was over. Silence reigned on the balcony between the two Menti.

Kulrik took a few quiet steps backwards, towards the stairs.

"If that's really what you want Kilanya, then of course I'll do as you ask. You are a Toroshu, and I am but shackled male; how could I refuse?" There was a tinge of hurt in his voice, the alcohol revealing personal feelings he never expressed so explicitly.

"If you'd like though, I could use my Sighteye abilities to take you someplace you'll be truly alone, like a nice hilltop on Oki. Or stop anyone from coming up here" Kulrik offered, one last effort to reach out to the Ageru Toroshu.

Edited by Toa Fanixe

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

Ic:

Considering how Kulrik was oblivious to everything, Seigyo grabbed his wrist, and dragged him away from the toroshu.

"Master Kulrik, you need to pay attention. Much more attention," she said, her voice wavering as fear crept into her. She had already felt her twin's pain from within the party... She wasn't about to allow her master do anything more foolish tonight.

IC:

As she was tugged off the table, the Umbraline Menti’s first instinctive reaction was to shoot off a defiant response, a refusal to cease her participation. That reaction never made it past her lips, cut down viciously by self-restraint. Instead, she nodded humbly and stepped down from the table. The Hogo Toroshu commenced with her own instructions, and as she did, the Umbraline melted away into the crowd. Now removed from the moment, she felt ashamed; the mere fact that she had nearly made such a response was cause enough. She had nearly forgotten her place, forgotten her worth in the social hierarchy. She was a Menti; she did what she was told, she did what her duty demanded, and she did not trouble those better than her. Perhaps one day that would change, but only Zuto Nui would decide when, if, that day came.

From her place within the crowd, Sinshi sought a place where her actions were needed. Her purpose demanded that she be of aid, for her own Honor and for the Honor of the deceased Rora. She had been the Empress, but she had been an Umbraline, as well. The death of a clan-member necessitated the proper respect, and in the case of a death so violent, the proper retribution. While retribution was beyond her reach, she could endeavor to provide assistance.

Despite her efforts, she could find no place to render assistance. The Hogo had sealed the exits, and an extra pair of hands would be unhelpful, if not disrespectful. The Hogo took pride in their responsibilities, and to try to aid when unneeded would not be appreciated, especially at a time like this. The Chojo- no, Empress, now- had been shepherded from the room by the Umbraline Battlemaster, her handmaidens, and an array of Hogo guards. Princess Desdemona was nowhere to be seen. As such, the protection of remaining Umbraline nobles was of no need. For a brief moment, she contemplated moving towards the scene of the crime, to help defend its perimeter.

But that was not her place. That responsibility fell to those of the proper qualification, such as the Commodore and the Toroshu, several of whom were already moving to aid. A Menti had no right to be there.

She was forced to accept the simple, inescapable fact; She was surplus to requirements. Her aid was not needed, nor did her status afford her the influence to provide any meaningful assistance. Those of higher status handled the needs of the situation, and the Hogo covered any needs that they did not. She was of no use in the present situation.

”Please excuse her, Toroshu.”

It is inexcusable, The Menti chided herself mentally, to forget one’s place in the world. Nevertheless, she was surprised by the identity of the speaker; Xania quickly grabbed her wrist, and tugged her away, into the crowd. The Umbraline clearly had some destination in mind, so Sinshi didn’t object; After all, she was hardly doing any good where she was.

"You are almost like a star today, Sinshi. All attention is on you. Let's go find Ayiwah, I saw her here somewhere,"

Remember your place, Sinshi Umbraline.

“Lady Xania,” Stressing the title as she spoke, keeping her tone as neutral as possible. Which, given her slightly intoxicated nature and her stressed state of mind, she was finding very diffcult. “I do not think it would be best to bother the Commodore. Her duties demand a certain conduct of her, as befits her position.”

Not my place to be involved.

“She is busy, and I feel that those duties be best left to her in this dire time, ma’am.”

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Ic: My friends—now my subjects (I can get used to this I think maybe ??)—rose at my beckoning and stood there idly, waiting for me to say something. Anything. Their faces were like hungry chicklings in a nest awaiting a mother's benevolent beak of food.

I didn't know what to say, though.

Just a few days earlier my mother was giving me the initial tingle of sovereign authority as her envoy, and then suddenly: Poof. She's no more and everything is suddenly thrust on me. I was still whirling my head around that fact. There was no higher power anymore, no skirts I could hide behind or freedom to table topics until someone else could deal with them. The thing was I didn't feel like an empress. I'd expected there to be some sort of click in my head when all my training as a royal child would come into the fore and I'd instantly have a crown on my head and be a wise ruler who knew what to say when, but I didn't. I was still Yumiwa, a girl at a crossroads with so many paths to take, only now I had a different title.

The title i could get used to. The responsibilities were a different matter. I'd been trained for this all my life but I still thought myself woefully unprepared. And so I mirrored the faces of those before me and flattened my lips in frustration before promptly sitting back down. "I'm going to need help. Advise me."

I'd expected Hanako to speak up first, but instead it was Inokio. "You will have to be strong," he counseled. "The toroshu will be looking to you for unity. They are petty and prone to power plays and will struggle to lay claim to any bit more power they can cling to in these uncertain times. If doing so means castigating each other for tonight's events they will do so. You must present yourself as an authority before they fall into chaos."

My eyes had gone from enfeebled to confused as I studied my mentor. "Master Inokio," I said with deliberate caution, "all these years you've refused my repeated requests for political counsel and shied away from it. Why now?"

"I was sworn to tutor you in the Menti arts so that you could master Power. As I see it, my advice isn't on policy but on your personal growth, and at these critical stages my duty to your education is only more vital. If you would rather I didn't..."

"No," I commanded approvingly, "I welcome it." Obediently, he nodded once and stepped back as though we were at court. But we sort of were, weren't we? This wooden chair of mine was my throne, the walkway flanked by reading tables my hall, the other beings in the room my supplicants and advisers—the conditions were met.

I agreed with Inokio's suggestion. Strength was vital, but I was still private. I could be a symbol of power to my realm tomorrow. "Iglia and Thran, I want a speech written so I can deliver it to the assembly tomorrow. Zafin, I'll have you slip out and investigate the state of my mother's corpse and orchestrate her funeral. I don't want to waste time on Mom's body."

"Mistress," she protested, "if it would still please you I'd rather serve at your side..."

"Darling," I kindled, "I'm giving you this task because I trust you with what is important to me. It would please me if you did as I asked."

She snapped to attention in pride. "As you command!" She vanished as soon as she finished saying that.

"That leaves us with a more personal concern," I said, suddenly more somberly. I tried to keep my composure but it was bottled up in a thin membrane that was always on the verge of breaking. "What the happened that made things go so wrong??"