BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

"I will gladly learn the Mindarm technique and accept failure is a possibility." Koga spoke his words after bowing deeply in his chair. In his eyes was the glimmer of success in the making, the sheer perseverance of a man ready to seize his own destiny. "However, I will treat the Mindarm technique much the same a the second menti discipline I was expected to learn: with determination and diligence. I am in your debt, Battlemaster Korae, and please do not hesitate to call upon it. If there is anything I can do to repay you..." He let his words carry their own meaning. Sometimes gratitude was better left open ended.

"When shall we begin training in the ways of the Mindarm? You seemed prepared to leave, surely there is some better time that could be arranged. I would hate to inconvenience you."

Ic: "Another day. Being that you are a first son I'll wager you'll be at the chōjo's festivity tomorrow night?" he said and tapped his nose twice, hinting at the source of the lingering scent of perfume; Koga's eyes widened as the realization hit his face. "We'll be busy preparing for it, and the day after would consist of our recovery from it, I'm sure. That leaves three days from now at the soonest," Inokio said and scrunched his lips on a side as he thought for a moment.

He folded his hands on his lap and heard the crunch of paper—the letter in his pocket rustled as his hands weighted upon it. Reminded of the service he gave to Yumiwa as her chief retainer and his promise to find a fifth member of her honour guard, a thought came to him. Koga's reputed skill as a warrior was acceptable, if theoretical, and despite not being an Umbraline his high birth qualified him enough for what could very well be a symbolic position in guarding the crown princess. "But... Hm."

Koga leaned in expectantly.

Still, he wanted to make sure the words were true. "You say you've mastered the arts of the Willhammer. I want to test that. So release your mind and show me that you've truly mastered it. I am ready."

IC:

"Have you ever guarded a Toroshu?" Soraph asked. "I know you aren't really supposed to say, but they'll all be at the ball. I was just wondering if I was the only one there that you'd know."

She picked up a glass, taking a sip of water before asking a passing waiter for a bottle of something a little stronger.

"I can't say I'll know many people - most Toroshu are usually busy running their clans, so I have little opportunity to meet any of them here on Sado." Soraph felt a pang of pain as she thought about the prison that this crystal palace was for her - she was unofficially banished away from her people, busy with her duties in the Garden. Mako was one of the few Vilda she'd met since her exile.

IC: Vilda Mako (Sado)

"I haven't guarded any of the current Toroshu, sorry to disappoint you" I replied gingerly as I placed my own order.

"This party's going to be a good opportunity to gauge my reputation, though"

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: (Hanako)

While Yumi was away, I continued my work on the party at the apartments. No doubt she was ensuring that people were coming along with her trip to the Temple of Zuto Nui. I however could not go with her. The planning of this party, arranging everyone and everything into its proper order, was like moving a mountain. That said, it wasn’t impossible. It was just a lot of work to get done, decorations such as a Kanohi Dragon ice sculpture, expertly crafted of course. This was the royal family after all. There was also the paper lanterns that would hang from the ceiling, the wine fountains, the fireworks display at the climax of the night, the coloured fire displays in the dragon room musical performances from a diverse range of Dasaka. In other words this was going to be one of the biggest parties that have ever graced the Kentoku Archipelago.

I had been working for quite a while, sipping my tea occasionally as I wrote down notes, organizing all the papers as neatly as possible, keeping some notes for myself, and leaving other more relevant and less detail heavy ones for Yumi. It might have been a lot of boring paperwork, but those of the Herupa clan rarely complain. It is just how we are, we always buckle down and get the job done. We turn out the best handmaidens, personal guards, valets, than any other clan would be capable of. The organizing of such a massive event might seem daunting but it really wasn’t. If I spent my time pacing around, not getting anything done we would probably be behind, but we weren’t. Yumi would no doubt be happy with the progress we were making. I smiled a little to myself. There was soft rapping upon the door, and I smirked against, Yumi must have been done with her other responsibilities for the day. However it wasn’t, a Dashi courier, stood at the door, lips thin and flat in a grim line.

“Hello Hanako Herupa, I have a message for you.” She said, her tone worried me. My smile melted away, but I didn’t wear the worry upon my face. She handed me a letter. On the front it had the words To my sister, Hanako. “I am sorry for you and your Clan’s loss.” She walked away, I could heard the thumping of my own heart, I closed the door, leaning against it as I tore the envelope open and pulled the letter out.

Dear sister,

It is with a heavy heart I am writing this letter to you, Mother has passed away, and Aunt Zola was overcome with grief, she took her own life the same night. I can’t…

M-m-mother was dead...Aunt Zola too? No no no, this couldn't be true, she wouldn't have done that, she would have died before I got to see her again. Aunt Zola wouldn't do that, she wouldn't take her own life, but as I read on, the reality of what had transpired had finally struck me, I slumped against the door, pinning it shut. I feel empty, devoid of feeling, but I hadn't see mother or Zola in months. They couldn't do this, they couldn't die on me, they couldn't deprive me of a goodbye, but they did. They were gone, just like that, like a candle being blown out and I wasn't there. I was here, exactly where my mother told I should be. I wanted to be there though. I knew she was getting worse, I knew she didn't have long...I just thought...I thought she’d have a bit longer, that maybe after the party I-I could have went home for a short time, with Yumi’s approval of course. It didn't matter now, she was dead, Aunt Zola was dead, and I, I’d never see them again. I’d never to get to hug mother, to thank her for everything she had done, I’d never get to talk with Aunt Zola, chatter away with her about my times in the Royal Palace, about the things Yumi and I did together, I could feel hot tears on my Calix, and I wiped them, stifling the soft sob, and pulling myself to my feet. I had to push the feelings down, Yumi needed me to finish preparations for the party, I needed to conceal it, I could grieve some other time, but not now, not when there was so much to do, but as I wrote down notes, and instructions, I could barely focus and the ink pen suddenly felt so heavy in my head. I shook my head and continued, I had to focus. No, I needed to focus, I need to stop thinking about what had happened...but I didn’t want to, but Yumi needed me to. I need to do what Herupa always did when tragedy struck, focus on getting stuff done. Push the feelings down, hoping that perhaps some other time, we could find the time to grieve.

Edited by Nia Teppelin

gallery_99567_147_39590.jpg

IC: Daikura Koga

Koga's willhammer technique lost its razor's edge once a psychic attack was expected. The simple knowledge of the oncoming mental siege gave Inokio a moment to prepare, to fortify his mind with mantras and plan a counterattack, dulling Koga's metaphorical blade. Without an edge the Daikura could not cut deep or with the precision offered by subtlety and deceit; he had gone from a poisoned dagger to a club.

But a club could kill if swung hard enough.

Daikura and Korae eyed the other, judging and weighing possibilities. Koga flicked his eyes across the battlemaster's form, but it was when he turned his gaze to the wall scroll the violent assault of his burning ember was unleashed. A brilliant azure flame burst into being with no easing of power, no gentle crescendo: it was a single attack of all encompassing might burning into the core of Inokio's mind and seeking to enslave all of the First Son's senses. He would be a thrall, unable to speak or move, unable to do anything but recite the mantras that would keep his sanity. Sanity was the thing Koga sought to break. It was when sanity was gone the core of the mind was available to pick at, like the shell of an egg.

"Stand up," He said as the onslaught mounted and his eyes locked with Inokio's. "If you can."

OOC: Edited for various reasons, one to remove ambiguity.

Edited by Kughii

Ic: Jiyu's warnings about his sister echoed in my mind as my swift heels thundered down the great hallways of my palace. "Watch Hanako," he said to me earlier. "She was Eshiwa's favorite; she'll be depressed by the news. My twin Seigyo would be affected, but would care less.

"... It's Hanako that'll be affected."

If she knows by now, I grimly thought. If she received the note by then she'd be crying; this was the first time tragedy has struck her family, particularly of this weight. Comforting her would be in my element... But holy , what if she doesn't know and I have to tell her? Could I even do that? With the party coming up the next day and Hana's mind so dedicated to orchestrating its details it would be cruel to give her the devastating news, but... it would be even crueler if I delayed telling her for a couple days—it would break her trust in me. No, I resolved that I'd tell her, for better or worse, because I love her.

Any sense of dread I had was crushed and shunted away, replaced only by pressing urgency to see to my Hana's emotional well-being—it drove me faster than I'd ever been in a long while. The air pumped in and out of me as fast as my heartbeat, and my clothes fluttered rapidly behind me like a pennant in a sea breeze. Doorways and windows and servants and statues on either side of me all blurred past in my determined flight like they were just trees and I was riding my stallion. The host of Hogo retainers had melted away as soon as I entered the palace apartment wing (there were so many guards here a squad perpetually around me wasn't required), leaving only the two other handmaidens in my company to try and keep up. "Youcangoback— *inhale/exhale* —andoverseethe— *inhale/exhale* —decorationsintheDragonHall!" I shouted back to them between breaths. Their footfalls petered off, and then it was just me.

One more hallway lay between me and Hana's chambers. One more stretch to run across. It was the longest stretch. I wanted to slow my pace and collect myself, catch my breath and relax my nerves before entering her apartment but I daren't let any anxiety catch up to me. It's breathing at my back, biting for the nape of my neck, trying to make me crumble before I can be strong for Hana. I can see Hana's door from where I stand—the doorknob is there, sparkling of bright ruby red on the azure door like a ripe berry aching to be pecked from a bush. Instead of letting myself relax, I instead slipped to my side into a plank and sliiiiiiiid the rest of the way to the door. My silky clothes glided on the polished floor with almost nonexistant friction before I halted myself with my foot right at Hana's door.

I got up and dusted myself off, moreso to pat the wrinkles out since there was almost no foreign material on these manicured floors, and reached for the knob.

Oh Zuto Nui.

HereIgo.

Gracefully, the door parted and I entered. "Hey, Hana!" I greeted. She sat at her desk, nice and poised for dedicated work. Oh, god, this meant I'd be the newsbreaker. ####. My act needed to be different depending on what the situation called for. If I speak out of turn and surprise her... it could be bad. I looked around the room as though admiring the decor, a thinly veiled excuse for finding if Jiyu's letter arrived and was read. Was there anything? Here, by the door? Nope. On the nightstand? Nope. Frick. Act inconspicuously, Yumi! (I'm trying! The feels, though...) You can do this, Yumi!

"Howwwww's the party coming along, hun?" :satisfied: I asked as I approached Hana at hr desk.

If Koga wasn't able to put a solid show of force despite Inokio's mental preparedness he wasn't worthy to be a student. It was a test. That said, the power at play was real. Inokio would be just as tried as the supplicant.

What started as a small blue ember for a few seconds abruptly metamorphosed into a brilliant display of flames. The Battlemaster's mind found itself assaulted from all directions by the power as Koga threatened to singe it and sever his nerves with painless but brutal surgery. He could feel the unrelenting fire burning from Koga's soul into his own... or could he?

His mind had steeled itself, but not every avenue was closed. His vision rapidly shut, the sound of ocean waves faded, the salt air lost its scent—Koga had found a way in. A casual psionic parry turned into a fully-fledged defense as Inokio struggled to remain himself. The first thing he did was retreat, salvaging his skull to protect his core, diverting all energy to guard himself from the building pressure. The house in his dreams would be his castle.

-

Fires crept up the walls like vines. The walls were turning pitch dark from the exposure. The great cats were powerless as embers fluttered up and over, collecting on their manes. All they could do was moan in terror.

Must. Resist.

He stood on his banister as the wildfire spread in his courtyard, turning stables and roofs to ashes.

I am Inokio, of Clan Korae, Battlemaster, First Son. I am the guardian of royals, the legacy of my clan, the final defense against aggression. I will not give in.

With valiant shout he rallied the fragments of his mind—his cats—into a fury. Suddenly the creatures were not docile kittens any longer. They charged at the fires in the courtyard, threw themselves at them and rolled upon them, suffocating the smaller tongues before roaring at the incredible heat, menacing, enraged. the fires reached for the creatures—they dodged; they would not be ensnared.

The tide is being turned.

-

In the room where both Willhammers sat there was the storm of warfare being waged, but none but the two warriors could know it. For a while Koga's fire reigned supreme, consuming all in its path with volatile force, swirling and encompassing everything before snuffing it out, depleted of fuel, turned to ash. Inokio's consciousness seemed small, almost pitifully so as it appeared to be nothing more than a soft little kitten, black and white, and it seemed he drew himself close to oblivion in order to chant himself to safety like prayers user for warding off evil spirits. The Daikura could feel himself swell with a sense of pride at apparently so easily overwhelming the legendary warrior with his powers, despite lacking the element of surprise.

"Stand up," he said as the onslaught mounted and his eyes locked with Inokio's. "If you can."

But then Inokio's mind grew. What was once a single kitten grew in size to a fully grown cat, and then even greater still into a leopard that laid on the sofa, snarling menacingly at Koga. Inokio shuddered visibly as he forced himself to become bigger. The great cat batter the flames away as if they were toys before springing from the sofa with a vigour that came from seemingly nowhere, surprising Koga with how quickly Inoko recovered from nothingness to a frightening presence.

The snow leopard looked to devour the flames in its path, leaping up and through the azure plane of desolation about it and into Koga's head.

Koga had sacrificed his defense for sheer strength with his fires. Inokio's sense of self had risen to the challenge and retaliated with unnerving swiftness, cutting through the fire and straight to the source. Inokio still was not able to control his senses, having surrendered them long ago, but instead presented himself anew to Koga. Now the battle was in both minds.

• Upvote 1

Ooc: Take Three.

The initial siege of Inokio's mind left Koga master of ashes, yet a single battle did not a war make. His overwhelming strength had left his own mind defenseless. He had hoped to keep Inokio always on the run during their fight, without a chance for a counter attack to discover beyond the raging wildfire there was only a simple ember, glowing in rhythm like a heart beat. Once the rouse was up Koga had no choice but to divert himself between two fronts.

The snow leopard moved across the plane. It could see the tiny home from which the fires spread, watch as it fluttered and guttered and trembled. The mantras of both men began to intertwine; their words built walls and fortifications, dug trenches, drew lines of territory where there had once been void. The Leopard's pelt turned to blue fire, the fire turned to tiny kittens, and so the cycle began anew and grew into a leopard once more.

Their battle at first seemed like a pendulum. One moment Inokio held the upper hand, the next Koga's fires would reclaim what had been stolen. The first of Inokio's attacks struck true and returned the pain to its maker, the snow leopard's claws batting the little ember. If there had been anyone in the room to watch the conflict their eyes would have seen the bead of sweat trickling down the side of Koga's face, the tiny tremor growing on his temple. The pain arced through his body but he endured.

:You are mine, First Son of Korae, Battlemaster Inokio,: Koga declared. The ember turned into a man wreathed in flame and all at once his grasp on Inokio's sight and smell and hearing vanished. In giving up his complete control he had grown stronger. :And you will dance for me. I do not need your sight or taste or smell for you to dance. And you will dance.:

The burning man walked steadily toward the leopard. He did not fear its savage teeth or claws as they grappled in the darkness. The pain Inokio dealt echoed in Koga's raging form. He took a step and beneath him the plane coursed with veins of azure light, his power only growing as his command became a mantra of attack – dance for me, dance Inokio. The leopard dug deep into his thighs and raked his back, but the mantra replenished his fiery form and still he repeated the command.

:Dance for me. Dance Inokio.:

Edited by Kughii

IC Ayako

"What is this...?"

The Datsue looked over several stone tablets scattered on her desk. She could barely read the annotations, so she had to deduce what they were from appearance alone. The first tablet seemed to be some chart on crop rotation, but it was a method that Ayako had never seen before. The second seemed to be a continuation of the first, but instead of switching plants around, it looked like it was recommending alternating between plant fields and livestock fields. The third was some kind of plow, and the fourth was a brief treatise on... Crop interbreeding? Ayako wasn't sure.

Ayako had found these on her desk when she came in for work that day. Apparently, the folks from Kyoshi were cleaning house, and seeing as their agriculture division got wiped out during the last uprising, they had sent them to Ageru. The tablets had apparently bounced around a few people's hands before landing in Ayako's; apparently, everybody else didn't know what to make of them either. "Should I talk to Kilanya about this?" Ayako wondered to herself. The tablets on her desk might contain something important...

Ic:

.:No.:, Inokio protested, his voice heaving anchors of weight against Koga's demand as it rippled across the ethereal plane and dumped its vigor squarely on Koga. .:You have conquered nothing. My mind remains my own.:.

His willpower flooded through from his mind like a hole from a dam, first subtle—the single cat that fought the flames—and then the cracks began to form in the levee—Koga's redirection of resources weakened his position ever so slightly—before it all burst and the flood couldn't be halted. The great cat was suddenly accompanied by a host as though a whole den of the creatures opened to the spiritual battlefield; Inokio was now putting the pressure on.

"What delights you, Inokio?" the headmistress asked as she sat behind her desk. It was a simple question, but a loaded one.

"Aw, hm... I don't know, ma'am. I haven't put much thought into it," the aspiring warrior said softly as though whispering. The sun's rays that flooded from the deep west into the teacher's chamber through the transparent walls struck his youthful features, accentuating and elongating his lines, making him seem older than he truly was and slightly more shadowy. The unassuming tone in his voice was matched by the nebulousness of his reply; his eyes twinkled with knowledge, belying his innocence.

The teacher captured the feelings deep in her pupil's soul effortlessly and her lips turned tight in disapproval. "Coyness will do you no favours here. Do you remember what men strive to be?" she asked and crossed her arms.

"We strive to wrest ourselves from Zataka, to escape the abyss of youth and climb towards the sky. We strive towards wisdom and greatness, an evolution of strength into discipline for Power so that we may be ascended warriors of Zuto Nui, ma'am."

"And do you think you can ever escape the darkness of the sea by remaining opaque?"

"No, ma'am."

"Then tell me what I know you have buried in that head of yours."

Inokio was presented with a challenge with no good ending: Sharing his feelings and desires would cause his teacher to rebuke him as a hypocrite; hiding them would cement his place as a child of Zataka. He had been in trouble several times before in his time as a student and his gentle demeanor gave him barely enough golden stars to remain out of the headmistress' office until then. He weighed his chances, like he always did, wagering on which option would give him the greater reward. He looked pensively at the sloping walls of translucent crystal and out at the sunset that burned with a mellow orange like his clan's colours. The walls were clear, allegories of a good Dasaka, pure and unblemished and free from corruption, things every Dasaka wanted. The windows spoke to him and he agreed:

He chose to speak honestly. Hiding his knowledge would just mean she would pry it from his mind against his will later, while honesty at least presented the facade of transparency even if it revealed nothing of brilliance. "I delight in conflict," he admitted slowly, steadily, gently, affirmatively, but his eyes flared with passion. "In proving myself to my enemies and showing them what it is like to know fear."

She seemed rather rigid with bureaucratic stillness. "So you relish in shows of your strength, in aggression."

Inokio shook his head. "Only a child can be mislead by the allure of strength, but I'm not just a child anymore, ma'am—I am a Menti. I fight for a purpose. You asked what delights me and I answered truthfully, and I've learned there is nothing beautiful in raw strength. Strength falls victim to deception, and when pillars fall my enemies understand the fear i give them."

"You are a black child," the headmistress deemed him. It was like a curse. It was a sentence.

He took it as a compliment. "I've always known what I am, ma'am. That confidence gives order to my strength. It is part of my identity.

"It helps drive me forward."

Koga misstepped by stating the teacher's name and titles, an act that only reminded Inokio of the legacy and power within reach—like his ward, the princess, he had an extraordinary sense of pride and purpose, valuable assets for a Willhammer. With his identity firmly contained within his mind there was nothing Koga could do to unseat it. No mantra needed to be repeated; Inokio was a citadel. The great cats rallied and lined up, holding the tormenting fires at bay at the midline by their mere presence. It was as though both fighter's minds reached an impasse in the middle, neither able to overcome the other's energy.

Since Inokio's eyes were his own he could see the faintest expression of worry in Koga's face. The Daikura lord was powerful, if untested, and this indeterminable sequence, despite the prodigious mastery of his form, hurt him. Inokio considered pressing the fight further, but the tinge of apprehension Koga felt sated his deeper desires and the test proved that Koga was at least worthy of attention. Finally, he relented and continued his telepathic words, "But your mind is yours, as well. We are done."

Suddenly, their minds retracted, the flames died away like a receding wave and the great beasts faded like morning fog. Inokio breathed deeply to rest his soul. A breeze blew Yumi's residual fragrances to his attention more than before. Just how much perfume does Hana put on her, anyway? My god...

"I have an offer for you," he said at last after his respite. "Have you ever wanted to be a member of a royal honour guard?"

"I would be honored to serve the royal family. Once, when I was young and held visions of glory by combat, I dreamed of serving the Rora as her personal bodyguard," Koga said after he wiping away the bead of sweat from his brow with the hem of his sleeve. The battle of wills took a toll on the first son and he felt exhaustion setting into his bones. Koga was out of practice and the thought was disconcerting, but in the whirlwind of the sudden ending and surprise offer he could do little to stop his pounding heart. "Then again, I seem to have returned to those old thoughts in the past few days. Granted I was young and inexperienced in the ways of my clan, but the concept of such honor seems to have lingered. What would you have me do? I said earlier I am in your debt for taking me as your pupil, and those words are still true."

He paused as the pungent perfume met his nose after so long deprived of scents. It stirred his mind and he thought of the floral aromas Soraph had carried with her when she arrived for dinner. A different citrus scent, though.

Ic: "For now, nothing. You will serve as one of Chōjo Yumiwa's honour guards, one of five of which I am chief, for the duration of an expedition to Mata Nui," he said, mentioning the island as easily as it were just the other side of Sado. I'll find time to train you as a Mindarm between my duties to her."

He tapped his fingertips together rapidly as he established the contact. "The only payment I require is that should I ever call on you to help me, for whatever reason it may be, you answer that call. I worry that someday there will be a threat to the throne I'll have to deal with but I may not be strong enough to do it alone. Your skills —and discretion— in that eventuality would be useful."

Edited by Crown Princess Yumiwa

OOC: OMG Going to Mata-Nui OMG

Koga blinked, unsure if he had heard the battlemaster correctly. Not only was Koga to serve the Chōjo directly under the command of his new mentor but he would do so half a world away where the powers of the land and sky and see were reported to be manipulated by beings similar to himself. If he had been a youth without the discipline of menti training his jaw might have dropped. Instead, Koga did little more than bow deeply and say;

"You honor me deeply with the prospect of glory in the Eastern Island. The Daikura way is one of training the mind, and what better way to train the mind then place it in a foreign environment? You will not regret your offer to me."

He rose from the chair, silk fabric rustling as it fell into place about his frame. "My mind is yours, Mentor Korae, for the protection of the Rora and her family."

Koga nodded. "Yes, of course. For starters I will need to welcome my Toroshu to Sado."

Once outside in the small garden Koga quickly made his way across the crystal path to the front gate. Outside the Korae residence he found his palanquin waiting and stepped inside. He felt as if the world was a dream. From scholar and occasionally teacher to member of the Chōjo's honour guard in little under an hour, Koga's prospects and future had risen significantly. No longer was he just a token first son to be bedded by valiant menti his toroshu deemed acceptable. Now he was gaining true power. In time he hoped his power would win favor with a certain woman. A woman who desired power above almost all else, for power was what would unchain her from the fate she was given: Soraph.

IC: (Hanako)

"It's coming along well, just making sure everything is organized and in order." I replied, gathering another set of papers and pinning them together. With all the instructions prepared the only thing I needed to wrap up was the rest of the orders. I turned to face her, smiling. "How was your day Yumi?"

How would I break the news to Yumi? I didn't want to bring her down. She'd be worried about me and not this party, granted she needed to know that my mother, I mean Toroshu Herupa and her would-be successor Zola were both dead. I inconspicuously pushed the letter from my brother underneath some papers I was still sorting through. I needed time to come up with the proper reply. Perhaps after catching up on Yumi's day, it would be difficult. I had to let her know...because she was my friend, she was the Chojo...and because I felt a lot weaker I needed her to know. I couldn't show my weakness though, Herupa didn't buckle under pressure.

gallery_99567_147_39590.jpg

Ic: "My day?" I echoed absentmindedly in an inhale (not awkwardly at all) as I still nonchalantly scanned for a sign, any sign, that Hana had gotten the letter. "It's been fine," I muttered reflexively. "The court proceeding was delayed, uh..." There had to be a sign! Please, Zuto Nui, don't leave me with this burden, show me something thrown up against the wall, something toppled over in frustration, a handkerchief wet with tears...

... I'm dumb. :( I'd been searching for a material thing when the sign I sought was in the wonderful girl at her desk.

There was no handkerchief but my perceptive eyes settled slowly on the desk and the mess of papers there. If she had gotten the letter she would have hidden it in the clutter there. We were peas in a pod, she would try and hide the heartbreaking reality from me to keep me from worrying, the same logic that drove me to consider concealing the truth from here mere moments ago. Her instincts were mine. Her personality was mine. It was clear to me that she would stash feelings away in the hope of delaying the inevitable until whatever time she deemed appropriate for utterly unselfish reasons because that's what I would do.

I ambled closer to her, still appearing somewhat ostensible, and poked at the papers a little bit as though casually shuffling through bills (Bills? What are those!? Haha!). The flicker of her eyes to where my finger prodded told me all I needed to know, but as I looked up at her, sighed wearily and saw the tiniest quiver of her nose and moisture under her eyes it was all confirmed. Hana was the pinnacle of Herupa training but she'd never experienced something this shattering; even she'd have a hard time keeping every subconscious emotional tic contained.

My lips twitched and turned into a sad frown. "Oh, Hana," I exclaimed and embraced her around the shoulders. I held her head lovingly close to my chest and I couldn't help but struggle with sobbing as I explained, "Jiyu was at the temple, too. He gave me the news. My dear, I'm so sorry..."

Inokio spied at Koga through a window as he left, scoffing mildly at the Daikura's use of a palanquin to travel when neither he or the royals used one for anything less than parades. He waited until Koga's entourage was long out of the area before pulling his robe on and stepping out for the second time to deliver the letter he penned.

He paused after shutting his door, though, and briefly considered altering the letter to reflect recent events before ultimately choosing not to. It would be better to save the news for a future letter when it became more pertinent, he decided, and finally stepped out into the streets of the Yards.

Edited by Crown Princess Yumiwa

IC

Space on Sado was a premium. The city had expanded at a consistent rate for hundreds of year, and running out of land hadn't stopped the trend. Only the royalty had space to move and breathe: much of the rest of the city lived in broom closets and cupboard, albeit ones built of crystal. For all their beauty, they were still stark reminders of the class divide, and the idea that Ringti didn't need space to work. Aki and Libra's forge fit the bill, but that didn't stop Aki from using what little space she had for combat practice.

The anvil nestled closer than usual to the furnace, which lay dormant and dark. Tools hung semi-neatly on the walls instead of cluttering the floor. The resulting metre or two of clear space was filled by an exuberant Dasaka, spinning and striking at invisible enemies, her hammer trailing streams and sparks of blue energy through the air, missing the walls by scarce inches.

There was no crystal work to be done today, so he should have been helping Libra with whatever paperwork had to be done, but Aki hated paperwork. She hated begging Menti for work, hated being told her work wasn't good enough. Most of all, she hated being a Ringti, having people look down on her like she was worthless just because she'd been born to artisan parents and trained to be a smith instead of a warrior. That's why she practised until her body ached, till sweat dripped into her eyes: one day, Zuto Nui willing, she'd be something more.

Edited by Talula Does the Hula