BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

IC (Tazera)

"She's beautiful," Tazera agreed. "Quite an honour to be her first sailors."

The Lieutenant (or rather First Mate, because they were now technically no longer ashore) was decked out in her dress uniform as befitted an officer preparing to embark on a new vessel. Her trusty boarding axe was once more at her belt.

Tazera had been more shaken than she let on following Yusanora's assassination. She'd only shown it in that one remark she let slip to Aya as the cleanup began (to the Commodore's disapproval - Taz knew duty required such a swift rebuttal, but all the same it hurt to have her friend snap at her). It was not a personal loss; she had never known the Rora personally and was only barely acquainted with Yumiwa. It was more a shaking of her world-view, because the sturdiest rock seemed to have been toppled with little more than a gentle push.

Not so very long ago, she had been fighting a rebellion. This incident suggested that the peace they'd fought for was not as secure as they'd liked to think.

But the Lieutenant had had several days to come to terms with this, and she had decided that whatever lay ahead could be beaten, and that it would do no good for her to worry about it now. Besides, the expedition was a far more pressing demand on her thoughts.

Tazera felt good about the expedition. Quite besides her personal excitement at being among the first Dasaka to explore this new world, she knew that her role in this voyage was a significant honour to her, her family, and her clan. This was what every Dasaka should strive for.

"I've inspected the ship myself, Ma'am," she said. "The interior's really very impressive. Particularly the bridge, with that big crystal canopy."

IC (Dakte)

Ageru Dakte strode along the dockside towards the gangway where the crew was congregating, shading his eyes from the bright sunshine with one hand.

He'd had little to do for the last few days. He'd lent a hand where he could with the investigations, but it was clear he was surplus to requirements so he'd retired to his quarters.

His family had visited yesterday. It was the first visit he'd had from them in years. They spoke of the great honour he was receiving in being chosen for this expedition. They spoke of his duty, not just to himself, but to them, not to squander it. They spoke of 'redeeming himself'. As if 'redemption' in society's eyes was what he wanted.

They had, however, done one meaningful thing: they had brought him a cloak. It was long, flowing down to his calves, and a deep emerald green. It was traditional that it be presented to the family's eldest son, but that had never happened; although the scandal of him and Kilanya had never become public, they had practically disowned him.

That they now gave him this cloak was a sign that they had forgiven him for his 'transgression'. Cold comfort.

This morning, he had packed what few belongings he needed for the voyage. He took a few moments to say goodbye to his personal project and prized possession: a harpsichord-like musical instrument that he and some Ringti contacts were trying to develop. Rather than pluck the strings, it struck them with little crystal hammers. It was far from finished, but already its mellow tones stirred Dakte's soul more than the rigid, uniform plucks of the harpsichord ever had.

He had dragged the dust-cover over its wooden frame for what might, for all he knew, be the last time, before throwing the emerald cloak about his shoulders and leaving for the docks.

Looking out into the dry-dock, he could not help but be impressed by the breathtaking sight of the Ryuu. It was far removed from what he'd seen of the earlier submersibles: far more elegant, like a shark or a knife-blade to cut through the sea. The curves of its design evoked the ebbs and flows of music in his mind.

It was quite a masterpiece.

IC (Enali)

The Eiyu's dragon expedition had just made it to a settlement halfway across Odaiba, where they stopped to stay the night and stock up on any supplies they were missing, when the news of the Rora's death reached it. The following days of bureaucratic chaos had, unsurprisingly, held them up. Like every imperial citizen within a few miles of Sado, they had to be thoroughly processed to ensure that they were not tied in any way to the assassination.

Then came the days of waiting. The official mandate of their expedition had been revoked, as protocol dictated during a change in Rora, and with the Toroshu swamped with more pressing matters in the wake of the party it had taken several days for word to reach the four Dasaka that they were cleared to continue their expedition.

And so, quite by chance on the very same day that the Mata Nui expedition was preparing to set sail, the four dragon-seekers set out across the fields of Odaiba and into the foothills of Mount Koshiki.

Enali walked at the front of her group, with a spring in her step despite the weight of the pack on her back. She'd often walked in these rolling hills and woodlands, and knew the paths well.

The company paused for lunch under a grove of willow, through which a small brook babbled from the slopes above. In the last hour or so, the trail had become steep and rocky, and the path less and less even, so all four of them had worked up a hearty appetite.

"So," Enali asked as she tucked in to her food, "have any of you come this way before?"

Edited by Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC: Oshi

Oshi shook her head, crouched on a rock, watching the stream flow as she munched thoughtfully on her hardtack. She swallowed and spoke: “At least not within my memory. Not much reason to be out in the wilderness, is it?”

Her tone was dull and without much inflection. Even though many days had passed since the death of the Rora, the shock still reverberated in her mind. Somehow, the shock still felt fresh in her mind, still unable to properly process the leader of the islands was dead. A small (Fursic) part of her told her that it was an opportunity for her own clan to take control, but she had never been very political, and was far more sad than excited by the opportunity. 

She took another bite of her trail food.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

IC (Enali)

"Yes there is!" Enali exclaimed. "Maybe there's not much logical reason, but isn't it beautiful out here?"

She spread her arms for emphasis, looking up at the bright blue sky peeking through the leaves. As if on cue, a bird flitted by above their heads, chirping its song.

"That's why I come out here, at least," she said, continuing her meal. "It may not be as lush as Oki (not that I've ever been there)," she added, "but walking on Odaiba is so peaceful."

Edited by Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC Asa

The sun rises on the sorrowful land/

Illuminating ths world; as if it/

Seeks to tell us; the inhabitants of this/

Green and pleasant land: no more shall you cry

"... Why am I personifying the dawn?"

Asa turned her head from the morning sun back to the fields in which she was working in. She was scrounging for indigowoad; the roots, when boiled, made an effective treatment for cough. Normally there were quite a lot to be found; today was a different story however. She had heard reports of a lost herd of Mahi that had passed through this area; maybe they were responsible for this?

A messenger had arrived by the Odaiba University earlier that week. She bore surprising knees: that Asa, of all people, would be going to Mata Nui. The reserved, but poetic herbalist would have never dreamed (or desired) to travel to such a faraway place, but it was the will of the Commodore. Who was she to defy it?

Oh, magnificent sun, when will I gaze/

Upon your golden rays of warm sunlight/

That illuminate the green and pleasant/

Land of Kentoku? When shall I return?

Seiryu had personally charged her to make a catakogue of every plant that could be found on Mata Nui. Minami had told her to try and be as friendly to the Mata Nuians as possible. The other two members of the council had no specific comment, but wished her luck on her journey. "Small consolation for embarking on such a perilous journey. "Ah..."

Some of the Menti at the shipyards would stare at Asa as she carried her multi-chambered bamboo basket of essential herbs into the docks. She turned, looked back at one of them, and shrugged.

"Kyoshi Amakusa Asa reporting for duty."

Edited by Last Son Amakusa

IC (Dakte)

Ageru Dakte strode along the dockside towards the gangway where the crew was congregating, shading his eyes from the bright sunshine with one hand.

He'd had little to do for the last few days. He'd lent a hand where he could with the investigations, but it was clear he was surplus to requirements so he'd retired to his quarters.

His family had visited yesterday. It was the first visit he'd had from them in years. They spoke of the great honour he was receiving in being chosen for this expedition. They spoke of his duty, not just to himself, but to them, not to squander it. They spoke of 'redeeming himself'. As if 'redemption' in society's eyes was what he wanted.

They had, however, done one meaningful thing: they had brought him a cloak. It was long, flowing down to his calves, and a deep emerald green. It was traditional that it be presented to the family's eldest son, but that had never happened; although the scandal of him and Kilanya had never become public, they had practically disowned him.

That they now gave him this cloak was a sign that they had forgiven him for his 'transgression'. Cold comfort.

This morning, he had packed what few belongings he needed for the voyage. He took a few moments to say goodbye to his personal project and prized possession: a harpsichord-like musical instrument that he and some Ringti contacts were trying to develop. Rather than pluck the strings, it struck them with little crystal hammers. It was far from finished, but already its mellow tones stirred Dakte's soul more than the rigid, uniform plucks of the harpsichord ever had.

He had dragged the dust-cover over its wooden frame for what might, for all he knew, be the last time, before throwing the emerald cloak about his shoulders and leaving for the docks.

Looking out into the dry-dock, he could not help but be impressed by the breathtaking sight of the Ryuu. It was far removed from what he'd seen of the earlier submersibles: far more elegant, like a shark or a knife-blade to cut through the sea. The curves of its design evoked the ebbs and flows of music in his mind.

It was quite a masterpiece.

IC: Vilda Mako (Docks)

"Looks impressive alright"

The voice came from somewhere around hip-height, where, through the seadrift fog, a diminuitive silhouette was visible. It was dressed simply, with a utilitarian robe in the colors of the stranger's clan, and equipment and supplies kept where they were reachable.

And there was something, something almost feral about the tense way in which it glared through the mist to see the vessel he was apparently scheduled to board.

As he squinted through the fog, he would be seen as what he was, a traveler, in the word's purest sense.

And it was indeed I, Mako of Cland Vilda, up bright and early, as usual. Discipline like what I got trained in isn't done away with easily.

I looked up at the guy beside me with a raised eyebrow, from his gaudy getup, he might be a First Son, but the line was blurred, and I couldn't get a good look at him in these conditions. But given where he was, and where he evidently was headed, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and offer him a hand.

"Vilda Mako here, and how about you?"

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Arisaka - Docks -

Arisaka arrived at the docks silently, casting her eyes on the vessel she'd be spending quite a bit of time aboard on their journey to Mata Nui. She'd have no choice but to interact with the others on the trip. Joy

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC: Gaia [Hometown of House Eiyu]

For some time there were no customers, but then a Dasaka messenger entered the healer's shop.
"Gaia the Healer, by the orders of Commodore Ayiwah of the House Umbraline, you are summoned to the Shipyards on Sado. Here's the official notification," he gave her a scroll sealed with the House Umbraline insignia. "You must depart at your earliest convenience."
"Wait, me?" she was quite shocked and therefore stood in awe, not able to move. "Why me? What's happening? Why Shipyards?"
"My job is to notify you. You will have to ask your questions to Commodore Ayiwah once you'll arrive. Now I should go," and the messenger departed.
"Sheeta. Sheeta!" dashi called on the verge of her breath. The girl appeared instantly and took Gaia's hand. "Sheeta, I need to go. I am needed elsewhere. And I am not sure I will be back soon," she looked upon her. "The shop is yours now. Forgive me, Sheeta, it's too early for this, but I have no choice. Nobody can ignore the summon of the House Umbraline," Gaia looked at the scroll in her hand. Then she looked at frightened Sheeta and smiled to her. "Oh, don't be scared, my brave Sheeta. You are smart and beautiful girl, and you can do it," she embraced Sheeta and they stood like this for a few minutes.
"Please, be safe Gaia-san," whispered Sheeta.
"I will, my dear. Now, farewell," Gaia stepped back and then turned and hurried to her house where she took her first aid bag, a straw hat and cape for travels and after that walked out. She locked the door for the last time and after that looked around. Gaia took a deep breath and then made her first step on the road...

[TIMESKIP]

IC: Gaia [sado Yards]

It was a few days since Gaia left her hometown. A few long days full of walking, taking carriages, and then ferrying from Odaiba to Sado. And now she stood in the docks of Sado Shipyards. A great vessel, previously never seen, was moored to them. From the looks of it Gaia could assume that this is some kind of submarine, of which she only heard rumors and never saw herself. A group of people has gathered around a Dasaka in Royal colors - that must be Commodore Ayiwah. Dashi of Eiyu closed her eyes and said her prayers to Zuto Nui. She suddenly felt scared and thought that she's not ready for this, but she remembered about the Burdens and that cleared her mind. She gathered all her courage and stepped towards the crowd, joining it, blending with it, and trying to get as close to Commodoe Aiywah as possible. She managed to get to her and bowed before her.
"Commodore Aiywah, I am Gaia the Healer, summoned by your orders here before your eyes. This is my official notification," she lend the scroll, seal ubroken, to Dasaka.

Edited by The Mugbearer

IC:

Soraph arrived at the Docks not long after the Vilda Datsue, having taken the extra time to lock up her apartment. It had been a whirlwind of a week- meeting the Chojo, attending the party, the waltz with Koga, the assassination of the Rora, the return home to Oki and now the voyage to Mata-Nui. A year ago, even a month, Soraph could not have ever imagined so much could in such a short span of time. 

Other Dasaka and Dashi were already present, crew women and other's that had been likewise chosen for the journey.

Soraph made her way to Mako who was talking with a fellow male, probably a First Son.

"You boys do like to stick together, don't you" she said with a pleasant smile, joining the conversation. 

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?

IC (Ayiwah):

Ayiwah had returned the look of encouragement Tazera wore on her face, only commenting that the layout of the new submersible would indeed be an interesting experience and that they would need to be quick in getting the crew accustomed to operating efficiently aboard for the long journey ahead.

After that, the first of the non-navy crew had begun to show up and the Commodore had fallen silent, greeting the newcomers with appropriately respectful nods, but otherwise not engaging in conversation, while she ticked off her mental list of the new arrivals and their dossiers.

Up front was Fursic Ahrusa; already in the service of the imperial palace, with a knack for gathering information and navigating the treacherous currents of politics. It had been her absolute dedication to her job that had gotten her this assignment.

She was followed by First Son Mamoru Moeru; bodyguard to his Toroshu sister and exceptional swordsman. His dossier had mentioned his outspoken disapproval of using military force to deal with Mata Nui, which was why he had been chosen. It would be good to have somebody with the skills to protect the expeditionary force while not risking to stat unnecessary conflict.

Dastana Daijuno joined the group next, though she had been present at the docks since the early morning already, already working with the sailors to get the submarine stocked up. She had been assigned to the position due to her reputation as a trader. That she was a Saihoko had not factored into the decision and since quite a few crew members belonged to the caste as well, she would fit right in. The commodore noticed the smoking habit though. That would have to go.

Just then, Umbraline Sinshi appeared. The clan-sister had been chosen by the then-chojo and would now protect Herupa Hanako in her stead as part of the royal envoy. Ayiwah had not received a full dossier on her, but from what she had learned in the last few days on her own, she had confidence in her abilities, especially after the involuntary demonstration earlier in the morning.

Her appearance summoned First Son Daikura Koga, who had stood atop one of the ramps leading towards the almost barren outer deck of the boat. He was another expedition member picked by Yumiwa. Why she had picked him, Ayiwah didn't quite know; it certainly wasn't for  a wealth of experience. But she was not going to question the decision of the Rora. His dual skillset showed promise  and it was good to have another male representative as part of the envoys.

While Sinshi  was being engaged in conversation by Daijuno and Koga , Dastana Akimoto arrived as well. Her talents would be needed on the journey in the engineering department. With ships made mostly out of crystal, having one of the best crystal smiths aboard was invaluable. The officer who had put her on the list of dossier after observation had noted how driven she was and how she channelled that determination into her work. In the Commodore's experience, such qualities could be counted on and so she had been added to the crew.

Ageru Dakte, of Tazera's clan was the next to arrive. He had been assigned to the security detail as well, due to his past as an instructor in the yards, which was atypical and meant he had taught and trained his first and second discipline more than the average Dasaka male would in the same amount of time. Ayiwah had seen him in action in the yards back in the day and so she had picked him personally. And as his performance at the party had shown, he would also be able to teach the Mata Nui islanders a thing or two about Dasaka Culture if the occasion arose.

He was joined by Vilda Mako, Soraph  and Umbraline Arisaka just a moment later. Ayiwah didn't have to worry about Mako. The former bodyguard had already proven he was still capable in the aftermath of the chojo's party. As for Arisaka, Ayiwah knew she had been assigned primarily as a bodyguard and was quite capable with her discipline as well.

So far, the Commodore had a gotten a good first impression of those present - however, there were some crewmembers that were by now running fashionably late: Eiyu Gaia and Rano, as well as Kyoshi Asa. Granted, not all of Yumiwa's candidates had shown up yet either, but since Hanako was still taking care of business and getting everything in order before their departure they had an excuse. Her selection however did not; and she had sent out the messengers early enough to give everybody ample time to get their things in order and make their way to the yards.

Very well then...

She gave a subtle nod to Tazera. It was a minor gesture, but it signalled the start of the mission. Her friend knew the message of the nod well. She put her heels together and her chest rose as she drew in a deep breath, before letting out a call to attention that made everybody stop, look and listen.

"Ten-hut!"

In the meantime, the commodore had placed her arms behind her back, standing tall as well. Once Tazera had ensured all eyes were on her, she spoke.

"Good morning, Suihei! Welcome on the second royal expedition to the island of Mata Nui. I know that the time for grief for our late Rora Yusanora has not yet passed, but we have a mission to accomplish. I wish we could set sail under happier circumstances, but this the unfortunate reality and we will have to carry out our orders regardless and measure up to the trust placed in us, both by the Empire and the clans you represent. On account of this, I expect you all to perform to the best of your abilities; not just individually, but as a team."

She let the word hang in the air for a second.

"You are now part of a crew and the success of this expedition depends entirely on your collective efforts to make it so. That means getting to know the tasks associated with your duty as well as getting to know each other. It also means that you will leave behind many of the privileges or lack thereof that you have gotten accustomed to. Every crewmember has a duty they need to fulfil regardless of caste or clan and that what they will be judged by. Once you board this boat none of your ranks save for the one assigned to you will matter."

"As of now, you are expected to follow the chain of command. Herupa Hanako may be in charge of the diplomatic side of things and the expedition as a whole, but while we are under way and on duty, I am in command of all operations aboard the Chiisai Ryuu. You will address me as Commodore or Captain, or ma'am. The same goes for the first mate and the other officers. Is that understood?" she asked sharply.

"Yes ma'am!" Tazera snapped immediately. Ayiwah looked at the others, then repeated: "Is that understood?"

"Yes ma'am." came the echo from all of them. 

"Good." she turned to Tazera. "Double file and follow me."

The first mate passed that order on to the group and so they formed up in two rows, walking behind the Commodore and Lieutenant.

Just then, one of the still missing members, Kyoshi Amakusa Asa, appeared, following the group. Ayiwah heard Tazera encourage her to fall in line with her usual enthusiasm. Just then, the other medic asked to come along on the mission made her way past the group and to Ayiwah directly."Commodore Ayiwah, I am Gaia the Healer, summoned by your orders here before your eyes. This is my official notification."

Ayiwah studied the Dashi with stern eyes. "Cutting it a little close, aren't we?" she asked, taking the notification.

Gaia was known as a capable healer and they would need at least one for such a long trip. Luckily, now both of them were here. The Commodore handed the paper back to Gaia. "Fall in with the rest of the group and follow me." she ordered shortly. Only Rano was missing now. The Commodore would greet her appropriately once she showed up.

Now assembled, the crew moved up the ramp and onto the deck. The bow of the boat was crowned by an almost sinister looking row of crystal spikes to cut through obstacles or if worst came to worst, an enemy ship's hull. A little after of it  a line of crystalline portholes lined the bow, together with a mural of a stylized swimming dragon. In front of the new crew a streamlined arch of crystal was mounted chest-high on the deck as a shield against rogue waves if there needed to be work done on the deck while under way and surfaced, or if the boat needed to be defended. Ayiwah indicated rectangular hatches in the deck to the starboard and portside. "These hold stowable projectile launchers."

Behind them, the conn tower rose, streamlined with large crystalline faces which allowed for a unique view from the command deck of the boat. To the stern, the rudder rose from the rising water in the dock like a Takea's fin. On the main deck, the main hatch was open, still in constant use by the sailors moving supplies into the boat. The group waited for a moment until the ladder inside was clear, then Tazera led the way, followed by the rest of the crew, with Ayiwah forming up on the rear.

The room they found had entered was mostly empty, and, as Tazera explained, could serve as an airlock if need be for somebody to exit the submarine while submerged. A small warning sign on the wall read 'Kaukau required'. For this mission though, it served as a storage room to hold additional supplies for the lengthy journey.

The forward bulkhead featured a passage. Ayiwah looked at the Rora's chosen crewmembers. "Officer's mess is through there, as well the VIP  quarters which will be occupied by Herupa Hanako." she explained. Then they turned and moved aft.

The room that followed was obviously the galley and common room with its long tables and benches. "The Boatswain will call out the mealtimes according to the watch schedule. The duty roster can be found on the aft wall, right next to the passage. Familiarize yourself with it. "

Next up was the navigation room, which was lined with instruments and a few workstations, some of which were already occupied by Dasaka, Dashi and Saihoko Sailors, like the other parts of the boat. There was a ladder that went all the way from the lower decks, to the upper one. Ayiwah pointed to the opening above: "This is the conn, the command deck. Only the officers, navigation crew and mission leads have access here, all others must ask for permission before entering." 

She then indicated the far side of the room. "Captain's quarters and officer's berths are through there, as well as the infirmary and further supply storage. "With the introduction of the upper decks  done, the Commodore led them down the ladder. After showing them propulsion-systems and engineering section, which took up half of the lower decks,  they moved forward again, through another bulkhead.  The room behind was larger overall, which went largely unnoticed, thanks to the upper and lower berths lining the walls. 

"And this is berthing. We don't have the maximum amount of hands with us for this  mission, so some will remain unoccupied. This is where you will sleep for the next couple of weeks. There is enough room for personal privacy but this is not a luxury cruise, so get used to sharing the space with the rest of the crew. Keep your berths tidy when you're not in them and make sure all your gear is stowed away properly.  Once you've picked a bunk and are set up the First Mate will assign you to your positions."

With that said, the initial tour of the Chiisai Ryuu had concluded. Once again, Ayiwah stood there, next to Tazera, with her arms crossed behind her back.

"Any questions?"

OOC: Alright folks! Pick a bunk, get set up and then we can get this sub moving asap =) I will edit this post to add a bit more detail to the descriptions, but I have a headache right now and already spent all evening just on this, so bear with me. 

Edited by Smaug the Terrible

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC:

[A few days later]

Kulrik walked out of his room on Sado, moving quickly to find his trust friend Seigyo. It took a only a few moments for the Vilda to find the Herupa already up and about and ready for the challenges of the coming day. Kulrik moved his shoulder to readjust the conspicuously heavy blade attached to his back. 

"Good morning" Kulrik said to Seigyo with a charming grin. "Ready to learn about the Children of Zataka?"

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?