BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

IC:

"With all due respect, ma'am, but if this murderer is trying to remove people," Zyla said to the ill-eased detective, "then why would they leave someone like Herupa Jiyu, a well-known First Son of a prominent clan, alive to reveal clues as to they're identity? It just doesn't seem very practical."

She quickly bowed her head, afraid that she'd overstepped herself with that statement, and added a humble, "However, perhaps checking these records might shed some more light on the subject."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

"Not quite" Kulrik responded with a chuckle. He had seen Seigyo's twin before and could understand why some Dasaka would fear him. The First Son's size was monstrous, and no doubt associated with the Dark Spirit.

"Do you remember a few days ago back on Odaiba when Toroshu Kilanya gave me a personal tour of her clan's lands? When Kilanya and I were swallowed up by the earth? The truth is that we didn't just find an underground tunnel out of there. No, we found something much, much stranger. It's hard to describe really, but it has something to do with this."

There was sparkle in Kulrik;s eyes now, excitement twinged with mystery.

He held out the strange crystal sword.

"The tunnel wasn't natural - or if it was,  it had been expanded by artificial means. There extinguished lightstones in the stones, leading up to a small cavern. Hugging the walls of the cavern were sheets of crystal, creating an enclosed room. We were able to enter it with our Soulsword abilities. Inside there were pieces of ancient furniture, some sort of altar and this sword. I picked it up, waved it around a bit. I didnt think it very remarkable - in fact, its very heavy and unwieldy for two handed combat, very unlike my Soulsword. But then I struck it against the side of the altar, the stone in the blade glowed crimson and both myself and Kilanya were battered with the strongest mental attack we ever felt. It was unbearable! It was like a Kanohi Dragon was roaring inside me and my head was about to burst from all that pressure. We were on the floor, and the attack only stopped when I managed to put the blade back in it's sheathe.

"It was a strange place" Kulrik said with a slight nod of remembrance, "and Kilanya had no idea of it's existence despite it being buried near her castle. There was no carvings or etchings explaining who built that chamber of the sword. Absolutely no clue to it's creator, except for one. During the mental attack, three words were spoken- or rather, the four words were the attack, the intensity with which they had been spoken were what had brought two Dasaka to their knees. The four words were as follows:

"The. Children. Of. Zataka"

"I'm sorry I haven't  told you yet, I guess the business with the party has kept me preoccupied. Now that it's over, I think the time is ripe to begin investigating the mystery, and I have an idea of where to start. So, I ask you: Are you ready for an adventure?"

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?

Ic:

"Herupa Eshiwa died not long prior to the Rora's... Masquerade," Jiyu said. He had stepped back from her, silently watching her cry, and the words she had said.

Some of it... Did sound familiar.

"... This may sound... Odd... But would you care to squander time in this library with me, one day..?" He asked, after she stopped crying, and his emotions had settled down as well. The awkward silence predating his question was- well, awkward. And after their discussion, it felt natural of him to ask her this.

[sado, Imperial Library]

I wiped the tears from my eyes, but they still felt gummy.  Jiyu probably took my silence for hesitation at the awkwardness of his request, but I was just clueless as how to respond.  I don't get invitations from many people, least of all first sons.

"Yeah, I'd like that."  My voice sounded like a frog with a head cold.  "Though, I'm afraid you might have to get used to obscure poetry if you're going to spend time with me."

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Ic:

"Yesterday:"

"I think I can become accustomed to it," the giant said with a nod and flicker of a smile, "after all... Poetry is truly art with words."

"Today:"

Harume watched as the guards she had called earlier exit the offices. The poor clerk was on a stretcher, a shroud obscuring her body. Another pair of guards were hefting herupa jiyu's spear out of the office. It barely fit through the door, they way they were carrying it.

"Now it's empty," Harume said, starting to walk into the office, "and let us, begin our search."

-

"Master Kulrik, you should've told me!" Seigyo exclaimed. She quickly realized she had raised her voice, and clapped her hands over her mouth before responding, "but... Yes, I'll accompany wherever you go Kulrik."

-

Herupa Jiyu was swiftly removed from his quarters, and brought to the nearest healer. Fortunately for him, he didn't die in the rented space, and the guard was able to get him to a mask of healing in time to prevent his death. While the healers worked to mend his body, herupa jiyu's mind retreated upon itself. Completely oblivious to the healer's working, or the guards casting a suspicious gaze upon him (after all, they only knew that the detective claimed he was a prime suspect for several murders), herupa jiyu instead tried to grasp a most terrifying fact.

Herupa Eshiwa had attacked him. A woman who was dead and buried.

He was rightfully terrified.

IC:

Kulrik smiled gently.

"I'm happy to hear that Seigyo. It's good to know that whatever comes, I'll have you by my side." Kulrik continued to beam at his aide, thinking about the events of the past few days and the sound advice she had given him throughout. He had made a bit of a fool of himself lately, and Seigyo had consistently looked out for the First Son. He didn't do it often enough, but Kulrik was truly thankful for the woman.  

He frowned.

"Seigyo...I'm so sorry about your mother, and for being so inconsiderate. It must be a difficult time for you, and here I am taking us to parties and adventures. Would you like to talk about it? I wouldn't mind putting this little quest on hold for a friend..."

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC:

It was as the shrouded body of the clerk passed her that Zyla realized how scared she was.

This is too much. This is ... this is all too much. She felt like she was on the verge of crying, of losing all self-control and poise and proper etiquette. She hugged her arms close to her body as she watched the detective calmly walk into the records office.

If only I could be so composed, Zyla lamented, wearily casting her eyes back over to the door to see another pair of guards trying to fit the spear through it.

They murdered her with that, she thought. They murdered her, and the woman in the market, and they tried to murder Herupa Jiyu. They ripped out their eyes, punctured their limbs.

A spark ignited in her heart.

They can't get away with this.

Dastana Zyla took a deep breath and followed Harume into the records office.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

Ic:

"It's fine Kulrik," she said, frowning at the mention of her mother, "she was a good parent in some regards... But she always wanted me to do more than what I wanted. She always wanted me to take her place whenever this would happen."

She bit her lip before adding, "but I'll miss her. Maybe not as much as my younger sister... But I'll be fine. Honestly."

-

"This'll be an odd question, but this whole thing already feels odd and uncomfortable," Harume started, before asking Zyla, "are we related? I could've sworn I've seen you before, back home..."

IC:

She would rather serve me than become Toroshu of her clan?  Maybe she cares about me more than I thought..... or she really hates bureaucracy Kulrik thought to himself. 

"If you say so my dear Seigyo" Kulrik began, a note of uncertainty still in his voice. "But if you ever change your mind and decide you need to vent to someone, I'm always around."

The First Son cleared his throat.

"Before we go to the Library to begin solving this mystery we have a slight detour to make. I found the blade under Ageru land, and it would appear the mystery is at least somewhat tied to the clan; it would only be proper for me to invite Toroshu Kilanya to come along  and learn just how much the Children of Zataka would affect her people."

Kulrik started walking towards the Toroshu's residence in the city with Seigyo matching him step for step.

"As a woman Seigyo, do you think I... botched my friendship with Kilanya the night of the party?"

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC:

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine," Zyla mumbled to Reiko, as though speaking about her fear might make it return in full-force. She'd expected the question (or rather, half-hoped and half-feard that it was coming) and no matter the situation, she wasn't in the mood to risk saying something that would get her in trouble.

So by the irony of Zuto Nui, Harume's question should come up right afterwards.

"Related?" she repeated, dumb-struck. "I, uh, I mean, it's possible. Depends on what you call ' back home'?"

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

Ic:

"With respect Kulrik... Maybe just a little..." Seigyo said, "but if she is truly your friend, then you two will deal with the memories accordingly... When the time comes."

-

"Dastana land? Harume asked, "sorry if this seems odd... I just remember seeing you prior to today, close to where my mother lives. I'm probably just mistaking a random person for you, but it doesn't hurt to ask. After all, I did make a career out of asking questions..."

Once the trio were inside the office, Harume began to dig through the nearest cabinet while saying aloud, "search anything you can. We're looking for the transfer orders for imperial spears... Or anything that may be relevant to all this."

Edited by Hatty Hattington

IC:

Having heaved a box of papers, labelled Requests for Spears, Swords, Bows, and Other Empress-Approved Implements of Destruction, over to the counter, Zyla wiped her hands on her jacket and took a good look at detective Harume, her kinda-maybe relative.

Not much to say, honestly. Average build, average height, nothing over than the colour of her clothes to denote her as a Dastana. The Dashi bit her lower lip in thought, trying to visualize every other family member she could think of and superimposing their image over the face of Harume.

"Nnnnn...." She ran one hand over her mask as she turned back to look at the papers. "Maybe. I mean, I sort of have family from all over the Archipelago, so I dunno. We could always be fourth cousins thrice-removed on your father's side or something."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

"I hope you're right Seigyo" Kulrik said with a heavy tone. "Maybe what they say about time is true: 'It washes away the the brightest inks and darkest stains.' I guess there's only one to find out though, isn't there?"

The pair quickly made their way to the section of Sado reserved for the higher castes, where the only Dashi to be seen were those carrying platters and running errands for their ladies and lords. Kulrik's own apartment was in this part of the city, though some distance away from Toroshu Kilanya's - his was on a block almost exclusively reserved for First Sons, not so much by law as by tradition.

They arrived.

Kulrik raised a fist and knocked on Kilanya's residence's door.

Now, he needed only to wait.

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

Ic:

"Maybe... I guess that means more digging through files when I get back-"

She stopped upon finding an interesting file, labeled "Umbraline Ragyo". She quickly cracked the file open, realizing the immaculate importance of it all.

It was Umbraline Ragyo who had gone missing overnight, and it was her body found in the square.

Her file was mostly legal documentation about her Menti training, including a hastily-shoved in paper in regards to orders upon graduation... But what caught Harume's eyes was something else entirely.

"News flash. The victim in the square has a note in her file. It's a psychological paper... Describing how she'll have... Nightmares. And, guess what? In the days prior to her murder, the papers dates are bunched together. The last one being half a week before she died," Harume informed, quickly scanning through the papers, "there's a footnote here too... About how she talks a lot about not wanting to see (the nightmares especially) anymore."

"This... This is kinda freaky..."

IC:

Zyla swallowed.

"If that's so," she said, running a hand over the top of her Kanohi once again, her eyes flicking across the room as if in search of the victim's apparition, "then do you think that the killer had access to her records? I mean, w-we know that whoever did this came h-here at one point...."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Higashi

Fish.

The greatest of all living creatures. That is, if you were a dead Toa of Magnetism.

But Higashi wasn't a dead Toa of Magnetism. Nor did she know what a Toa of Magnetism was.

And unlike a certain dead Toa of Magnetism, she wasn't exactly a genius at this fishing thing.

But she knew the steps that needed to be taken to fish.

Emboldened by the fact that she had finally managed to get her clanmate to actually get out and do something other than guarding the Vaults, Higashi cast her rod into the depths of the water before her. There would be fish, she decided. That is, if she was successful.

"And now we wait," declared the Hogo guardswoman.

IC

The door of the Ageru leader's Sado suite was opened by a Dashi servant, who looked up at the two Dasaka visitors before giving a respectful bow.

"I'm sorry, sir and ma'am, but Toroshu Kilanya is out at the moment," she said. "Is there a message I can relay to her upon her return?"

IC (Kilanya)

The last week had been nothing if not hectic. The demands on a Toroshu's attention could be myriad at the best of times, and in the combined aftermath of the party and preparations for the expedition, Sado had been an ant's nest of activity. There had been ceremonies to attend, councils to debate in, arrangements to make, and many other things besides—not to mention the thoughts of Dakte that weighed heavily on her heart, no matter how hard she tried to dispel them.

One more enjoyable item on her engagements list had been her talk with the naval officer, Ageru Tazera. As lieutenant to Commodore Ayiwah, Tazera was already a credit to the clan, and now her position as military second-in-command of the Mata Nui expedition brought her even greater honour.

The Menti stepped past the doorman and into her apartment, resplendent in her full officer's dress coat and ramrod-straight (though the bandana in which she wore her clan-cloth added a roguish touch).

"Toroshu Kilanya, ma'am!" she greeted her, snapping a salute.

"Please sit down, Tazera," she responded warmly, gesturing to a comfortable chair like the one she was already seated in. "We can leave the formalities there - I may be your Toroshu, but you've brought the clan quite enough honour to speak with me as a friend! Come, have some tea."

She signalled a dismissal to the servants in the room: she wanted to speak with the Lieutenant privately.

It had taken a little while to get the Menti sailor to relax (to her great credit, she showed an earnest, disciplined respect that was quite unlike the skin-deep cordiality one all-too-often received from the fellow gentry), but once she did, the two spoke long and warmly. She had Tazera go over everything from the details of her latest tour of duty to her experiences of the Chojo's ill-fated party.

One thing in particular caught her attention, though: the lieutenant's account of her brief espionage mission for Chojo (now Empress) Yumiwa. The name 'Nihi' was familiar: she recognised it from the report on the first-contact voyage to Mata Nui. That she had a sister in a mental institution was interesting; that the Lieutenant had discerned a connection to the escape of the Chaotic Six was even more so.

That had been pushed out of her mind the following day, for very good reason: the Chiisai Ryuu's departure.

What a melting pot of emotions that had been.

That ship embodied a chance for the Dasaka to meet and learn from another fascinating people, and with whom they could grow together into a new age of prosperity—or to embroil themselves in a pointless and destructive war of conquest, as some seemed to hope. It carried Ageru Tazera, a woman whom she trusted and held pride in—and it carried Dakte, the only man she had ever loved, so far away.

She watched from the pier as the submersible passed. She could just make out a small, purplish figure behind the great window. He did not wave at the crowd like those around him: he stood still, staring up at the spires of Sado as they twinkled in the sun. Then he turned away.

His words from the party echoed in her mind. There's nothing left for me here.

These memories clouded her thoughts as she walked the city's streets, flanked by a brace of bodyguards (after what had happened to Yusanora, this was a minimalist entourage compared to those of most nobles), in the direction Tazera had told her. She at last had time to follow up her interest in Nihi's sister, and since she had made the arrangements long in advance to return to Odaiba tomorrow, there was no time better to do so.

She knocked three times on the door of the establishment the Lieutenant had described, and waited for one of the nurses to answer the door.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Ic:

"That's probably likely... Either they knew they existed and where they were or-" Harume didn't want to think about the implications of the alternative. The fact that there was a grade-A psychopath among the upper echelons of the military was terrifying in its own right.

"Thinking about our killer's victims, they went for a recently-graduated Menti, to an office clerk, and then a first son?" Harume asked, "the whole nightmare thing sounds like a dead ringer... But we don't know if the clerk, and the herupa had anything similar..."

IC:

Pain prickled in Zyla fingers and as she looked down at them, she realized that she had been digging her nails into the wooden counter of the table throughout Harume's musings. She quickly released, shoving the hand into the pocket of her windbreaker as she brought her other hand over to the pile of files and records in front of her.

"You don't suppose that we'll find some psychological reports for those two, do you, detective?"

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: (Senavysh Angavur)

Senavysh remembered what her aunt told her of the Imperials. Sensaya Angavur was a prejudiced woman, she remembered. Imperials were decadent, petty and sinful, she told Senavysh, Hypocrites, liars, backstabbers, those who made the Taajar soft, and shunned them from society. Such reactionary voices like her Aunt's were a minority in Clan Angavur, but were endemic in so many others. But Senavysh never came to believe it. The Imperials were just a separate people, a separate culture. Differences existed, but she was confident they would coexist in sisterhood eventually. She would be the Astyzyar-Jahagir to finally mend relations between the two civilizations. It was as if Mother Zuto willed it.

Now she was in the Shining City, the wretched hive her Aunt had so often complained of. Looking upon with her own eyes, it seemed spotless. Around her, in the bottom wards, she saw not a single spot of corruption. The guards stood watch, those of each caste walked in peace. In the distant street the Saihoko hawked their wares. In all her times coming to it, she felt not an ounce of corruption in her heart. She held the people no ill, and in fact had grown to admire the industriousness of the Imperials. The other Jahagirs around her, however, had a myriad of looks upon their wrinkled faces. They were the four Toroshu of the largest Taajar clans, and they sat cross-legged in a semicircle in the front of her. They collectively had more years of experience then each bead upon Sena's necklace. And yet, they were her vassals.

One was the leader of a traditionalistic clan, the other three of liberal, Imperialized clans. They, as she, were required to be here. After the passing of the old Rora, it was encoded by treaty the Taajar pay tribute to the new one as soon as possible. The ceremony hadn't been performed since the time of Sena's grandmother. Only the oldest of her Jahagirs were present for the last. She had to go through it mentally for a third time. Go in a line, in front of all, bow one by one, bring in the drummers, read the treaty, tell the Rora of her powers, present the blade, and bow again. Wait, not the drummers, the drummers are for marriage. D*** it, Sena!

They met in the Yards, not far from the Imperial Residences.

Sena told herself she'd get it right. Getting into position, she beckoned her companions to join her. Subconsciously, she critiqued herself. Stand up straight, keep your eyes forward. Exiting into the path, a motion of her hand beckoned the ten other Taajar representatives to get into position. They lined up, in twos. Behind her, two Angavur guards stood side-by side, with full armor and Angavur banners. But weaponless, as to not alarm the Imperial Guards. Four stood in position to guard the other Jahagirs, two in front of the four, two behind. Two pairs of handmaidens, in their finest clothes, tailed the back, carrying the customary Zhanmadao and a copy of the treaty scrolls, respectively. Behind them, a Saihoko merchant guided two Mukau, one loaded with weapons and armor for the guard, and a specially fed steer for slaughter. Both would be delivered outside The Residences to guards. Forward, they walked. At this point and time, Sena was beyond nervous.

She led the column past the eyes of onlookers. Sena stiffly walked forward, how Jahagirs were supposed to walk. Dignified, she thought, look dignified. She prayed she was so. Step after step, she walked towards the gates. Meeting the Hogo Guardswoman, she asked for a courier to be sent to the Rora, to grant the entire column entrance and audience. At least, that was what she thought she had to do. Nervously, she waited for a reply.   

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

Ic:

Harume narrowed her eyes and searched the only upright cabinet in the whole room.

The one that the eyes were formerly on.

"... Why hello there..." The detective muttered as she opened up a drawer. Inside were only two folders, one labeled "Herupa Jiyu", the other "Umbraline Shiar".

She had the feeling they were planted there.