BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

IC: (Naihi Okrihnok/Odaiba)

Naihi, Jahagir of the proud Taajar clan of Okrihnok, surveyed the landscape in front of her, staring down contemptuously from her vantage point on a rock outcrop atop a ridge-like hill. 

The dull greyish-green of the rolling hills was the only sign of wildlife for kio around, the land barren of free roaming animals or unrestricted plantlife. The farmlands to the west of this point, a brown smudge on the horizon, held much life, but it was not the way life should be - it was lashed to stakes with rope or caged within walls of wood, waiting to be slaughtered in cold blood by Imperials who knew nothing of it's ways.

Turning, the poisoned mountain Koshiki came into view, a looming monolith on the opposite horizon, wisps of steam emanating from the dead mouth of it's crater. Naihi knew, as most others did not, that on that great mount's flank, Okrihnok's base of operations hid under tonnes of rock. The peak was the only place the imperials had not pillaged for their own means, too frightened of the great Mask Drakes to venture near. It was said that the Taajar of old had once tamed the fiery beasts.

Looking down closer to her ridge, Okrihnok's more temporary home came into view directly in front of Naihi. The clan never stayed in one place for more than a week, wandering the plains as nomads. Sometimes, when they did not simply camp for the night, a group of clanspeople would erect a temporary village such as this one, constructed hastily out of light wood. Naihi's current home was the largest of the "village's" buildings: a long, rectangular, flat-roofed hut, built out of timber planks. Inside, the Jahagir knew, the clan's council of the wise and strong waited for her to decide many things.

They would move tonight, for change was coming.

OOC: (Sil/Okoto)

Niahi and the whole of Okrihnok clan open for interaction :D

Edited by Sil
  • Upvote 1

Kathok

IC: Viitkha

She slid forward into Tama's slash, her right foot stepping to the side to get off the line of attack. Her sword was held parallel to her body, with the open side of the C-shape facing outward.

Tama's blade connected with her own, and almost faster than the eye could follow Viitkha whipped her sword around, the hooked sword catching the blade as well as it did the shield. The move would have disarmed the Menti had Viitkha applied slightly more force, but it simply opened her guard up instead. Just enough for Viitkha to get off a single, short slash that both disengaged their weapons and curved upward to Tama's torso.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: Ichi and Ni

Ichi: "No, it's fine. We're headed for-"

Ni: "Kyū's house!"

Ichi: "... Which is in a small coastal village near the Odaiba-Iki bridge."

IC:

"Oh, brilliant!" she exclaimed, clasping her hands together as a broad grin blossomed on her face. "I was just headed over to Odaiba myself. I don't suppose you two would be adverse to a travelling companion today?"

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Higashi

Machete-user. One-armed. Don't recognise the mask. 

Fighting a cripple was a new thing for Higashi. It would be easy to simply dismiss the other Menti, but letting down her guard would be, hmmm, pr'bad. No idea what psionic mojo Chiyo excelled in nor what the mask did. Whatever, she'd learn soon. Time to go.

"Three, two, one."

The yard erupted into dust, obscuring everything.

IC: Ichi

"Sure."

IC: Chiyo

"Okay..."

When the dust cloud rose, Chiyo's first reaction was to activate her mask. Two low intensity laser beams fired at where Higashi had been.

Her second move was to draw her machete and dash diagonally to front-right. "Kicking up the dust... Did she use a soulsword or a mindarm on the ground?"

Even in the obscurity provided by the dust, Higashi could pick out the flash of light from the beams. Her opponent had ranged capabilities, possibly from the mask. There weren't any psionic powers that could do that so easily. Which meant she still didn't know what the other Menti could do to her. Tricky, especially with how hard it would be to close the distance now.

She felt the air shift, dust moving in a certain direction. It looked like Chiyo had started moving. Higashi slowly shuffled around to her opponent's left side, silently closing in, not wishing to disturb the dust too much and give away her position. The dust was beginning to settle, so she needed to act quickly.

Her powers lanced out, and something physical struck towards Chiyo's side.

Running. Stay moving. Slowly turning. Perhaps...

The dust was settling. But there was some upkick to the left of her field of vision...

Something slammed into her side. Chiyo slapped the ground, breaking her fall; as she scrambled to her feet, she took note of what may have been Higashi. She activated her Sighteye powers.

Needles. Lots of tiny needles poking your skin...

Higashi bit her lip, pausing for a slight second that allowed her opponent to return to a standing position. That was good. But she wasn't gonna let it distract her. Focus on what was important right now. And that was the fight. Chiyo may have gotten up, but the Hogo knew that her foe would still be a bit disorientated by her attack. And that was good.

Taking advantage of the Sighteye's concentration in exerting mental powers on her, and any possible disorientation, Higashi flew forth, strafing to her left to deliver two quick jabs at Chiyo's swordarm.

She wasn't going to relent in her pursuit.

Even as Chiyo leapt back, the Hogo Menti was already moving, the lasers striking the area where she had been standing prior. She shifted to her right, appearing as if she was going to launch a series of punches towards her opponent's unguarded left side. The key word was "appearing".

For if her foe were to respond to that feint, a floating Soulsword fist would strike with incredible force from her left and at Chiyo's right.

Tama's blade connected with her own, and almost faster than the eye could follow Viitkha whipped her sword around, the hooked sword catching the blade as well as it did the shield. The move would have disarmed the Menti had Viitkha applied slightly more force, but it simply opened her guard up instead. Just enough for Viitkha to get off a single, short slash that both disengaged their weapons and curved upward to Tama's torso.

IC: Ageru Tamachan (Mahuika Hall)

Unable to block the attack, Tama cringed as she felt the jolt of pain rush to her brain and jog her senses into high gear. She was still in the game, however, and didn't wait long to respond.

Viitkha had just struck upwards, so Tama went low. Her Soulsword dissipated and her shield slid up her arm as she pressed her palms to the floor and swung her legs around at Viitkha's.

Edited by Rucks

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Lasers missed. Opponent punching. Doesn't seem committed-what is that?!

Rather than dodge straight to the right, Chiyo strafed backwards, the Soulsword fist whizzing barely missing her. She then made a lunge at Higashi with her machete (somewhat halfheartedly and notably with the spine of the blade; this was only supposed to be practice after all).

Gotcha.

The spine of the machete was parried by her Soulsword, knocking it back and allowing Higashi to duck back into range. One arm didn't mean that her opponent was helpless, but it was a massive weakness for her to capitalise on. Her fists lashed out once again, launching heavier strikes towards Chiyo's torso.

IC: (Iolatra)

Iolatra stood up. It was so very little that she was able to do this sort of thing, with an Imperial, nonetheless. It would be simple. Hall, library, armory, and perhaps the Sokoai pens to the back. It wouldn't take too long, she thought.

"This is Greywood Longhouse, the seat of the Taajar court. It was built after we were granted our lands after the defeat of the Konyat Horde by the Empire in late antiquity. It is made of wood felled from ancient trees, which has been preserved and restored periodically over the years. Here the noble family lives and trains with our Menti and Elders.

The walls to the outside are older than the village. In the wars with the Fursic the Taajar have joined in, they have been attacked several times. Each attempt by the rebels at takeover being repulsed, thank Mother Zuto."

She looked to the sides. "Would you like to go to the armory, or library first?"

IC: Dastana Arsix

"The library please," Arsix said politely. They began walking, and as they did Arsix said, "I must say that while I've always been interested, I've never been able to ask from the people themselves: I'd like to learn more about your culture Iolatra."

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

Machete parried. Opponent not binding. Return to guard immediately.

The first of Higashi's punche s struck Chiyo in the ribs; Chiyo blocked any successive strikes with her forearm as best as she could while firing a third set of lasers.

My advantage: range?

Her advantage: five direct methods of attack, six including her head; speed.

IC:

"Happy to hear it!" Kulrik exclaimed. "If we all hurry, we should be able get our things in order in time to catch the last ferry of the day to Iki. And I'm sure the Dastana wouldn't mind hosting us while we're there, so there's no need to worry about supplies or lodging. There's just one last thing to wrap up before we leave."

Kulrik raised a finger accusingly at Shuuan, who was standing too close for comfort. 

"If you'll be joining us, do you mind explaining why you charged for the blade earlier? And why you still have a a gambler's eye on it now?" 

[sado, Imperial Library]

I pouted.

“Aww Kulrikky.  I was just curious, honest.  I mean, how often do you get to see a sword like that.  It’s so interesting.  Besides--”

I gave him my best winning smile.

“--you might need me.  I’m the strongest willhammer in my clan.  Who knows what scary things you might run run into on Iki.  Don’t worry, I’ll chase them away for you.”

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Oh.

And that's why you don't jump in fights. 'Cause once you've committed to the jump, you can never change course 'till your feet hit the ground.

The double fisted strike to her sword arm wasn't much of a problem; rather, the problem was the massive Soulsword fist that was hurtling down on her head like a meteor.

Now Higashi just needed to punch time.

Chiyo regretted jumping.

Landing ungracefully, dazed from the blow, Chiyo took a long moment to collect herself. Probably too long.

Edited by One-Eyed Construct

Ic: 

My poignant response, it seemed, made Rayuke think over his reply for a while longer. He sat stoic, eyes languidly boring into the floor by my feet, as I imaged he considered all his options, and I took this time to look him over more.

Hana taught me many things as my chief handmaiden, and I like to think that whatever topics Inokio didn't cover were handed by my best friend and advisor. Where he gave martial expertise and character growth, Hana was better versed on court politics and social skills. And yeah, while I more or less piddled on certain social graces when I was heiress, I long understood the importance of duality, both using it and perceiving it. Detecting emotions and reading people, as it happened, became one of my sharpest skills. And now I was reading into Rayuke. 

For someone who lived by the strictest code of honor and who's job it was to detect all deceit, he was pitiful at encapsulating his own feelings. Like me, he was expressive, but in a very personal sort of way that contrasted my own emotive expositions. While I couldn't read him like an open book, I could detect how he felt—unsure, confused, at a loss for words. I had baffled my own uncle.

His next words confirmed my suspicions. "I don't... know you... at all." His eyes sagged, laden with the grief of long missed opportunities of being family. Now we were too burdened with duty to be anything other than royals caught in a tidal wave of politics. "I'm sorry."

What was I to do? What was the proper response to that? Should I call upon the spirit of my dead mother and comfort Rayuke? Should I crack a smile and playfully slap him on the shoulder? Was it even within my reach to comfort him at all? For all the things Hanako taught me to do in all sorts of social situations, this—reconnecting with a nuclear but faraway distraught uncle—was not among them. She never passed this sort of knowledge to me because it was never supposed to happen. Nothing like this was supposed to happen—I was supposed to be far away from this place, honing my rulership and military skills with my best company ever, becoming the empress I was supposed to be while securing my realm's future with a new island. Things had progressed far too quickly for anyone, even within my own family.

I opened my mouth to speak and inhaled for a long sentence and that brought Rayuke's attention back to me... but I paused just when the first syllable was about to come out. I took the decisive moment and sat on it, reconsidering reality. What if Hanako had taught me what to do? She gave me advice when I needed to reconnect with my sister, and I'd consoled her when she had demons to contend with also. Surely there was something to learn from those experiences. 

I concluded that there was. I learned the importance of forgiving people for their ignorances, especially the ones they are blameless for, and acceptance  that nobody is perfect, least of all myself. I learned that if we spend too much energy pondering the past we all lose focus on the future, and we have to all work to fix whatever is broken. And so I swallowed the words I had loaded and prepared another set. "I forgive you. We're family, and more than that we're THE RULING family. What affects us affects the empire, and I can't allow us to tear each other apart over missed opportunities. I love my family and I love you, now more than ever. Let's not forget what we still have."

"Perhaps your teachers... have done you well, my Rora."

"Inokio met with you already, didn't he?" I asked

"Yes, he approached me, and... we spoke at length. About you... and about the Empire.

"And I suppose he urged family unity also, yeah?"

"Yes." I couldn't help but notice the slightest tinge of worry in his tone, as though he was... worried? What could worry him, though? (I'd quickly concluded that was a topic for another time.) "My Rora, you should be made aware... of the severity of the crisis we... are dealing with."

"Desde told me about the Dastana twins..." I said. "Do you really think they're off the hook?"

"Not exactly. But they... did not kill your mother, Yumiwa... nor were they aware of the scheme. My kanohi," he said, slowly reaching up and tapping his Rode on the temple, "never lies."

I crossed my arms and recoiled a further into my seat, letting its sumptuous leather cushions creakily embrace me as I cringed. The news made my blood crawl.

"My Rora, they may not have... been behind the assassination, but they are... plotting. I fear conflict is on the horizon. Not mere riots, or a civil war... but the Dastana intend to cede."

"A revolution," I whispered. I could barely muster a louder tone. 

Rayuke nodded. He spent the next several moments telling me what he already told my teacher, that his suspicions couldn't be confirmed until they made their next move but that but then it could be too late, that he meant to invoke his powers as Seeker and initiate an inquisition, that a council has to be convened, and that anyone could be held suspect of my mother's assassination. There were too many unknowns to make conclusions, but we had to start somewhere.

"You have my blessings to begin your inquest," I said, finally repossessing authority in my tone. "Tell the datsue that."

"Thank you. Your added weight... will certainly help speed things along. My Rora, when I begin... I'll start with those who you'll have... on your privy council."

He needed names. Hanako and Ayiwah, two obvious members of that committee, were away, which meant there were gaps to fill, too. I wanted to take it a step further, though. I had an idea. "By now the Dastana, if they truly mean revolt, are likely counting their dragons. That means I need to do the same."

"What do you propose?"

"I need to secure the loyalty of the clans, to keep the empire united. I want more diverse members—clans Plangori, Roku, Herupa, the Tajaar, maybe even certain wizened saihoko; I'll wager that if they are involved in the administration of the empire they will be less inclined to leave it. I want to give them voices I can hear, and that means bringing them to my halls. Off the top of my head, um, I can think of a new names for your list: Senavysh and Iolatra Angavur, Plangori Morie, Herupa Jiyu... perhaps even the Loremaster herself—we'll need her knowledge. And Inokio is a given. Will that do?"

"It will," he nodded.

The closer I kept my friends the easier I could tell if they were my enemies. This diversity would not only help me govern but also allow me keener insight on their loyalties, and with a more united set of alliances I could also better govern the Umbraline response, when called for. The larger my heel, the easier to keep my vassals under it—I shot this thought process to my uncle mentally. He frowned grimly but finally nodded once, recognizing the fact that my decision was in the best interest of the realm. 

.:Clever Yumi.:.

:bigsmile: "So you do know some things about me! You know my catchphrase!" I said excitedly. 

"Only because that phrase... is so infamously annoying."

:mellow: "Get out," I said flatly, unamused. 

My uncle got up and moved for the door, but I stopped him and, with all the love I could manage, I rushed to hug him. He slowly, tentatively, returned the embrace, as if he was unsure how to respond to this new emotion. "Stay close, Uncle Rayuke," I said. "We Umbralines have to stay close. Besides, you're on the council, too."

IC: Ageru Tamachan (Mahuika Hall)

Unable to block the attack, Tama cringed as she felt the jolt of pain rush to her brain and jog her senses into high gear. She was still in the game, however, and didn't wait long to respond.

Viitkha had just struck upwards, so Tama went low. Her Soulsword dissipated and her shield slid up her arm as she pressed her palms to the floor and swung her legs around at Viitkha's.

With nowhere to go, and her options somewhat limited by her current weight placement, Viitkha let the Menti's sweep kick connect with her own legs. Of course, it wasn't quite sure that simple, as she pushed off the ground as soon as Tama's attack struck. The resultant motion turned the sweep into a push, and so it was simple enough for the Blademaster to get a single foot beneath her, a half bio to the right of where she started.

Of course, Viitkha gave Tama no time to recover from the kick, as she shifted her hips and brough her glowing purple blade around in an attempt to strike at her legs, an area relatively unprotected by her shield.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC:

Kulrik eyed Shuuan with distrust.

It was true, the sword was interesting. It had inspired Kulrik to begin this little quest in the first place, and now the others in the room. And it would be useful to have a powerful Willhammer aboard, since Zuto-Nui knew he had little experience against them. But the First Son still thought she was suspicious, and the idea of her following him around the Empire, using that ridiculous name she called him... it wasn't very appealing.

An idea sprang in his head. If Shuuan was indeed a spy for the Fursic or some other group, it'd be best to keep a close eye on her. So long as they were together, she wouldn't be able to pass word on to any possible superiors. And as long as Seigyo, Noshima and Senyvush were near, Shuuan could hardly attack him or escape.

He nodded slightly at the Plangorie's explanation.

"Fine, you can come with us. But I don't want you wandering off by yourself, ok? You've got to stay near me, or barring that, within eyesight at all times."

Kulrik just felt more infuriated by Shaun's lackadaisical attitude towards it all. He turned his focus to the rest of the group.

"Well, let's be off then!"

A few hours later, the ferry was docking and the five Menti disembarked.

"Iki" Kulrik said, gazing at the island that was the source of the Empire's wealth.

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?

IC: Ichi

"Sure."

IC:

It would appear that Zyla was now bouncing on the balls of her feet and that her smile now threatened to swallow her head.

"Right, great!" she exclaimed, before visibly restraining her good cheer until it was more of a gracious amiability. "As your guest, I humbly await you to lead the way."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]