BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi

Nuju Metru

IC

The room was quiet. Oreius trapped his surprise between his clenched teeth and tried to think through the roar of blood and fire in his ears. Tahu would never accept this. He would burn the Citadel to the ground and march his people free over the ashes of his retribution. The sky would weep tears of fire, and the Mountain would tremble beneath his fury.

He remembered Tahu. He remembered watching the First Toa of Fire lead the Guard against the Makuta's infected Rahi, driving them back into the darkness with the terrible light of his sword. Oreius knew the weight of that sword; he had used to to rend Rahkshi limb from limb.

Tahu would stand; Tahu was the Spirit of Fire, and Fire was First and Last. Fire knows no equal: it burns what it will and respects no opponent. It turns ice to water and water to steam. It turns earth to magma and stone to glass. It makes of the air a fist of heat, searing those lungs that dare to breathe. Fire burned in Oreius' veins, lashing against the skin that separated it from the world. It tore and raged with the might of the sun. It would teach these imposters the true power of a Toa.

But, through the haze of anger that filled his thoughts like choking smoke, Oreius remembered. Or perhaps Inu remembered, pulling these two voices from the past in a last effort to hold back the storm.

"There is no destiny!" the dark Toa said, voice suddenly raising.

"Because... you... betrayed yours." Leah said, a tear rolling from the outer corner of her eye from the effort of trying to withstand his grip. But still, she managed to make eye-contact again, her blue gaze against his golden glare. "And if you... kill us... you'll only... betray yourselves... again. You were supposed... to be a hero. But... you failed. What are you now?"

You betrayed

yourself

You were supposed to be a
hero

But you
failed

What are you
now?

They were upon her in an instant, straddling the supine Toa and pinning down her arms with their knees as they began beating the helpless servant of Makuta. Each blow was fuelled by nigh Pakari-level strength, and it was only moments before Reka's beautiful face was broken and bleeding.

Her nose was broken; her cheekbones were pulverized. On the third blow, her elegant mask broke in half; the Toa of Fire tossed the useless pieces aside without an ounce of regret: the Kanohi was evil, immoral.

Still the assault continued. Blood spattered the cold stone; patches of bone could be seen where before had stretched clean, unbroken skin; Reka's eyes were almost swollen shut. Her lips were bruised and bleeding over shattered teeth; her once-perfect smile was now jagged and ugly.

Finally, the Toa of Fire managed to reign themselves in; in their violent rage, they had come close to killing the Toa of Shadow outright. Still, they had not stopped soon enough: it was obvious that Reka was not long for this life.

She coughed, spat up globs of blood and fragments of crushed enamel. Her barely-visible eyes regarded Oreius and Inu with pain, hate... and some small amount of relief, as though, in the midst of despising them, she had remembered, for a moment, who she used to be.

“So...” she whispered faintly, wincing as the words exited her broken mouth. “In the end... you are a monster too.”

So

In the
end

You are a

monster

too

Reka's words pieced his fury like a single shaft of cold light, and Leah's condemnation washed over him like the tide. They were Maru; they were Toa. They were supposed to be heroes. It was their destiny.

But Oreius knew destiny.

You see what you can do? The Darkness whispered. You can make this island great again. I can give you the power to restore your home to its glory. All you have to do is ask...

The tendrils of shadow drifted at the Toa's side, no longer attacking him, but tenderly coaxing him on. Oreius' eyes fell upon Stannis, who fought his own battle with the Makuta only a few metres away, his polearm flashing as it rose and fell.

All he had to do was strike him down.

It has been prophesied, has it not, Oreius? The Makuta hissed, the dark, limitless voice terrifying in its immensity. Stannis knows you will betray him. You know it. This is your moment: fulfil destiny, and use my power to take back your home.

Destiny could be wrong.

He did not kill Stannis. He stood strong, and watched as the Makuta was exiled from the island. Destiny named him Betrayer, but it was wrong. Destiny named the First Toa heroes, but it was wrong. They fell, because heroes are not named, but forged. Toa choose to be Toa, and once again, Oreius found himself facing at this crossroads, as though some great wheel had completed one more revolution and presented him with the same choice.

What are you now? Hero or monster?

Tahu's flames burned against his skin, but Oreius was not Tahu. Tahu fell; his bold words and courage were not enough. He would lead Oreius down the same path if allowed.

“What do you say, Oreius?” Eisen's voice came to him as though from a great distance. “A chance to save your citizens, or will you burn us all, the guilty and the innocent?”

Oreius breathed deep, filling his lungs with cool air. He was Oreius Maru. He was a Toa, and he would not kill. Not this time, and never again. Tahu's rage subsided at his command; the fire that raced through his blood slowed, grew calm. The Citadel's entrance hall began to cool.

“Very well,” he said. “I accept your offer. We will duel.”

• Upvote 4

IC: Agrona - Ko-Koro - The Citadel

The tension in the room shifted. I felt my muscles relax slightly at Oreius' response. 

I let go of my hidden weapons and brought my hands out into the open again. I cleared the space between Eisen and I and slid up next to him, "Once you're outside, I'll make sure you're in peak condition."

I nodded to Orieus Maru as well, speaking to him for the first time, "You too, if you'll have it, Toa," I said, "Eisen said no tricks and I will abide by that," I shoot Eisen a look. Binding oneself to honor while against a Maru didn't exactly fill me with confidence. Eisen was certainly capable, but that didn't change the fact that his opponent was a legendary hero, "Though I'll understand if you refuse," I step forward, feeling some attraction to Oreius' power. After-all, this was one of the beings who managed to "slay" my god, "It might be... uncharacteristic of a Maru to ask for assistance, no?"

Edited by Palm

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

IC:

"Excellent." The Toa of Iron gave a nod, one that seemed sincere. He nodded once more to Agrona in acknowledgement of her offer, but took a moment to lay a hand on the Lesterin's shoulder and momentarily prevent her from moving away. Eisen leaned in slightly and added one more comment to her softly, too soft for those behind him to hear even though Oreius could probably read his lips even if he couldn't hear the Follower of Makuta. Eisen had no reason to hid the statement from him, or anyone else for that matter; it was simply easiest if the subject didn't hear. Lantz does not seem fond of this arrangement. If he attempts to intervene, stop him. Preferably without permanent damage, but Echelon and I have both had to speak to him. He's out of warnings."

He released her shoulder and started walking towards Oreius, keeping a polite distance between them and passing around him to get to the door. His back was to the Ta-Toa, now, and if ever there was an opportunity for a surprise attack this would be it. But that was the point. The Maru could only reach him if he allowed it, but the spectators didn't know that. It was a silent way to show that he wasn't concerned, and Eisen intended it exactly that way. This wasn't just a way to handle a rogue element; this was a way to cement, once and for all, his reputation in the face of his allies.

And perhaps salvage their relationship with the Piraka while he was at it.

The snow crunched under his feet the instant he was outside, but he continued a good twenty meters into the courtyard before turning to face the Sanctum again. Eisen slipped his shield off of his back in a single smooth motion, grasping it with his left hand and in the process turning the hilt of his sword towards his right where it could be easily drawn.

"This should serve nicely for us both. No way for either of us to claim an unfair advantage." He gestured with an open hand to Agrona. "I'll take a moment, if you don't mind, for Agrona to ensure I'm at my best. Then we can get started."

• Upvote 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

-IC:-

If I have learned anything from decades of being on both the receiving and giving ends of assassination attempts, it is this: if it looks like a distraction, sounds like a feint, and reeks of misdirection, then it is most likely harmless and should be taken at face value.

The moment Eisen moves outside, I begin the orders. Mind Reading snaps to attention, reacting at the speed of thought to my messages.

For the duelist:

I'll begin the search for the other Maru. I would wish you luck, but I doubt this hero will be able to match your level of skill in the the great code duello tradition of keep-away. If his presence is a distraction for a larger force, you will know shortly.

For the barbarian:

Intercede at your own risk, and expect no assistance from myself until the Fe-Toa has died. I plan to use this to our advantage: if the Fe-Toa falls, you have a weakened opponent. Preemptively begin the slaughter before this event and you will likely have several new ones. If it helps, I expect we shall be killing soon enough.

For my very own Judas and the other two members of my motley crew, delivered as I activate my thermographic lenses and begin my search:

I find it unlikely the Maru is alone. As such, I will search for the other members of his rescue party. Sylus, your assistance would be appreciated. Marfoir, Lunefeld: if this Fe-Toa finds himself leaving the realm of the living, I have faith in your abilities to make sure that the Maru follows close beyond.

OOC: i'm crazy busy atm. this duel is a godsend (except for the fact that i don't know who to root for). 

Edited by Simulacrum
  • Upvote 5

pNNgXax.jpg

IC: Hearing the commotion, Fyura perked up. She had almost finished draining one of the lesser villains in the Koro in an alley, so she had nothing else to do. Tossing her unconscious victim to the ground, she picked up her axe and strode out into the street. She joined the growing circle around Eisen and a Ta-Toa she didn't recognize. Spotting her 'sponsor' within the Legacy, Maeloc, she sidled up as best as she could. "Zo, vhat's up?" Fyura snickered. "Pahblik eckzecueshun?"

The Legacy archivist barely gave the parakuka-bonded skakdi a glance. "Oreius Maru. He threatened to firebomb the Citadel for the hostages we are keeping. Eisen bargained it down to a duel, one-on-one."

The Fe-Skakdi grunted as she picked her teeth. Another glance from Maeloc revealed that she wasn't idly paying attention, but was focusing intensely on the two combatants. The Archivist couldn't tell if it was the martial analysis of a seasoned warrior, or the hungry gaze of a predator. "Well, whatever happens, we are not to interfere. I didn't have time to slip him one of the Amulets, and as for you, you are to prevent any overeager interlopers. Is that clear?"

"Ah-hah."

IC: Cyrix's mask may have rendered himself silent, but he could still hear the calls from the street below. From his recon over the island, he knew of both combatants. Unless this was some insane grudge match, the Le-Toa knew what, or rather who, the only stakes could be. Muttering several curses to himself, he got up, and performed an air-assisted leap over to the next building. He got as close as he dared; people were probably watching for trickery, of which his Mask of Stealth fell under. He might be detected. Settling in to a position, he again donned his goggles, adjusting the lenses to witness the fight. Hundreds of contingencies were running through his mind, very few of them good.

I'm rooting for you, red guy. Stakes are too high for me not to.

The times, they are a-changing...

OOC:

Bunnying permission from Eyru with Oreius' response to her.

Eisen dialogue provided by Gundam.

IC: Agrona - Ko-Koro - The Citadel Courtyard

I followed Eisen down the steps, and glanced at Oreius, "No examination?" His face told me I wouldn't be getting anywhere near him for a check-up. With a wink and a sing-songy voice I said to him, "Don't worry, meat. I'm only a little offended."

Once by my companion again, I reached forward, and took Eisen's wrist, humming to myself casually. I slid my hands up his arm, checking for scrapes or bruises. I stopped my little song to ask quietly, "Any sparring injuries I'm not aware of?"

"None that I'm aware of." The Fe-Toa answered, after a moment to think. "Any from the invasion are long gone, and I have not sustained any since."

"Good," I say simply, returning to my song. I check his other arm and continue my scan, "Oreius Maru," I say, "So many mysteries and secrets," I turn around and glance at him, standing a ways away before returning to my work, "I don't need to tell you to overestimate him," I position myself in front of Eisen and hold up a finger for his eyes to track, "I may be good, but I've never brought a charred corpse back to life."

"If all goes according to plan," Eisen said, letting his green eyes track her finger left then right. "We shouldn't have to find out if you can. I wouldn't challenge him if I didn't think I could win. Not, granted, that he left us much choice."

Satisfied with his eyesight, I ask Eisen, "One leg," and he obliges, putting all his weight onto one, and letting the other hang loose. I knock the space above his kneecap with my knuckles, and his leg bounces. I step back and say one more thing before turning away, "Good luck, Eisen." I made my way back to the sidelines, and watched his opponent preparing to fight. Win or lose, I knew we were about to learn something about Oreius Maru.

Edited by Palm
  • Upvote 1

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

IC

The wind sang across the snow, twirling sparkling bits of ice through the air. The sun was gone, and the the sky was a purple canvas sprinkled with the first stars. Oreius and Eisen stood beneath this sky and watched each other.

Oreius's armour gleamed softly, and the snow beneath his feet sent forth curls of white steam. His shoulders rose and fell in slight movements, measuring each slow breath as he waited for Agrona to finish her business. Apparently satisfied, the healer left the battleground, returning to the warmth and light of the Citadel's entrance where the rest of her crew remained. They would spectate, and nothing more: Eisen had given his word.

A snort of disbelief and a mental burst of angry heat were all Inu had to say to that. Oreius had no answer to the parakuka's doubts: he knew they were dealing with cultists of the Makuta. These were criminals who slew innocents in cold blood; these were murderers and thieves, and their words meant nothing.

But Eisen knew this: Oreius had seen it in his eyes. They were the eyes of a man who might very well have been a great hero, a Toa worth telling stories about. They were eyes that did not lie. Lying was beneath him, Oreius realized. An insult to his pride. A liar seeks victory through deceit, and Eisen meant to claim his victory through strength, so that none would doubt him.

The truth flashed like lightning through his brain. Echelon was gone, and Eisen meant to seize control of these thugs who had branded themselves the "Nightfall." Whether he planned to do it soon or meant to bide his time until Echelon revealed weakness was impossible to know. But showing his power in single combat against a Maru? Echelon himself had never proved his strength like this. It was a risky gambit, but if it paid off...

That was another thing. He already knew Eisen's weaknesses and strengths: the Auporo had analyzed the Toa of Iron cell by cell, and Eisen wasn't reckless. He wouldn't challenge anyone to a duel unless he was confident that he could win. Of course, he'd presented it as an exchange of advantages: Oreius gave up his elemental bomb threat and Eisen gave up his numerical advantage, creating an even playing field. But it wasn't even, was it? Oreius had the advantage in terms of sheer power, and Eisen knew it. And yet he was confident enough in his chances to strike the deal anyway. He had to have something Oreius didn't expect, or he wouldn't have agreed.

But it was too late for second thoughts. Oreius breathed deep, letting the icy mountain air fill his lungs and clear his thoughts. He felt calm and composed, more so than he had felt in a long time. Tahu's voice had subsided to the crackle and snap of a campfire, and Inu's presence shone like a lighthouse, filling his mind with soft certainty.

We are a Toa, Oreius.

He smiled ever so slightly.

Yes. Yes, we are.

The wind sang across the snow, then died into empty air. A silence seemed to come over the world, waiting for something to begin.

• Upvote 9

IC: Xhalia - Obsidian Outpost

Watching the group arrive from her vantage point over by the window, the Vortixx was confronted with a moral dilemma.

Nobody else in the outpost seemed to be responding to them, which made her want to want to walk outside and do it herself, mostly just to be polite. And considering that she had just come back from Ihu Koro, she would've even been the perfect candidate to help them out on their journey as well. On the other hand, however, she too was a guest in said aforementioned structure, and letting them inside without explicit permission from one of its actual residents would've been quite rude, especially since that would require disrupting their... festivities.

Unsure of exactly how to proceed in this situation, she simply scooted her chair over towards the wall in the effort of potentially hiding herself from view.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

IC:

This was simple.

For all its factors and uncertainties single combat was the purest form of a decision, and certainly the purest form of combat. There would be no interference. He would live and die, win or lose, upon his own prowess. A small part of him was excited by the prospect. There was no greater challenge to be found on the island than that of a Toa Maru, and now Eisen would have his answer. It was an immense gamble, electing to take the Maru of Fire on in single combat, but it was the best solution he could see. There had been only a handful of ways that anyone would walk out of the Sanctum alive, and even fewer with any real chance of success. This path ensured that, even if the worst came to pass, Makuta would lose but one servant. Not the brunt of his surviving forces.

But the worst would not come to pass.

An ambitious belief, almost arrogant in fact. Certainly not the bet that a wise man would make. On paper, the Nightfall's swordsman was outmatched in every way. Oreius Maru's abilities were nebulous at best, but it was clear that he had an exceptional command over Fire, a Parakuka on his back, and a Kanohi that Eisen had never seen before. Those facts alone proved that Oreius could be faster than him, stronger than him, and incinerate him with an element that he lacked a hard counter to. And his Kanohi was a complete wild card. But he had been running scenarios through his mind from the moment the Toa of Fire appeared, and things were not so hopeless. Oreius would not have encountered a Crast before, and Makuta's favor had granted it to him just in time. It would completely eliminate half of the Maru's edge, if he used it right. The fire...

Could be dealt with.

He remembered the Ta-Toa he had fought during the assault on Ko-Koro. Not quite so potent as a Maru, of course, but very much in the same vein with his chosen set of abilities and tactics. Dealing with him had been a simple matter. Dealing with Oreius Maru was simply a grander scale. But now was not the time for such musings. The die had been cast, and his path decided.

It was now simply a matter of seeing where it would take him.

Eisen grasped the handle of his long sword with his right hand, drawing it smoothly from behind his shield and bringing it into a classical ready stance. He acknowledged the Piraka's update with the smallest of thoughts, though he doubted the Rahkshi would relay it, and briefly ran down the list of his own arsenal. That was one place, at least, that he held an advantage. His Crast was at the ready in case Oreius elected to go straight to his Parakuka. No sense in making the first move and opening himself up to reprisal so soon in the match.

"I'm ready when you are, Oreius Maru." The Fe-Toa said simply, giving a half bow at the waist before settling back into his ready stance. "As the challenged, I think it's only fair you be afforded the first move. Shall we begin?"

• Upvote 5

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC: Greisk(Toros)/Cyrena

Although she had tried to hide it, Greisk could sense the knot of tension within Cyrena unwind and deflate as Oreius accepted Eisen's offer.

The mute watched as the duellists took up position. For all of Eisen's skill, Greisk simply couldn't see him winning this. Oreius was a Maru, who defeated the Makuta, and heir to the power of the First Toa.

He couldn't say that he felt bad for the Nightfall if one of their own died.

IC: Lunefeld

Lunefeld gave a small bow upon hearing Hakann's orders. Truth be told, Lunefeld was not reassured that he would be able to kill Oreius should he live. Fortunately, he was sure that there would be no need for that.

Despite the Ta-Toa's power and abilities, Eisen was a formidable duelist in his own right, and with the Crast, it gave the Fe-Toa an edge over Oreius' potent but known abilities.

Edited by Norik Apple Juice

IC Sharky

A jingly jangly bag of widgets, aka cash ; coin ; moola ; shekels ; currency ; "liquid assets" ; greenbacks or perhaps most accurately, pelf (

pelf
pelf/
noun
noun: pelf
  1. money, especially when gained in a dishonest or dishonorable way.

Origin: late Middle English (in the sense ‘booty, pilfered property’): from a variant of Old French pelfre ‘spoils,’ of unknown origin. Compare with pilfer.)

found it's way into Sharky's hand, he turned to the equally pathetic and out of place looking Lunefeld, "I got fifty widgets on the craniopagusly conjoined Maru."

• Upvote 4

...but close to it

IC (Agni):

"I wonder, Merror," I started, realizing I sounded very tired, "if it might be of more use to focus on Ko-Koro itself. We started this part of the mission before Echelon took over the village. I doubt he will be lounging in his old lair at this point..."

IC (Merror)

"It was never just about finding Echelon, Agni," Merror sighed, sounding just as tired as his fellow Ta-Toa. "Every time I've faced him, he's had an advantage or some means of escape. If we could get inside that lair, we could find something, anything, to give us an edge against him. And at the very least we could put a cleansing flame to the place, and destroy the sick experiments and Mata-Nui-knows-what-else he keeps in there.

"But you're right. We need to turn our attention to Ko-Koro. That, or regroup with Dorian. Perhaps both."

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC:

Lantz frowned unhappily as he waited for the duel to begin. This was ridiculous. They had a Maru here. The Maru was surrounded. And they were giving him the chance to win the freedom of all the captive Ta-Matoran? It was all a waste of time and energy. 

Still, he wouldn't interfere. If the others wanted to play their little games, so be it. 

If Eisen managed to slay the pompous fool of a Ta-Toa, fine. But if Oreius won the duel... then Lantz would step in, along with the others he was sure, and put an end to the miserable Maru's life. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have less competition here amongst Makuta's followers, with Eisen being dead.

So he stepped back and leaned against the wall, one hand resting comfortably on his sheathed sword hilt.

"Anyone got a snack for the show?"

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?

IC

Oreius nodded once, acknowledging Eisen's offer. This only confirmed what he already believed about the Toa of Iron. He wanted to win this fight fairly. No advantages – not even first strike.

The air was cold but calm. Raising his hands, the Toa of Fire conjured a sphere of yellow fire between his fingertips. The orb crackled, shedding light across the snow, then arced over his head, coming to a halt some ten feet feet behind him where it hovered at shoulder height, turning the Toa of Fire into a silhouette.

He could feel the fire singing through his veins, eager to be free. Raising his hands once more, Oreius let a white spark blossom at each fingertip. The pinpricks of light and heat remained for a moment before he filled them with energy, engorging them to the size of his head, and sent them bursting out into the night. These ten white-hot fireballs cut a blazing arc as they fell, like meteors, down upon his opponent.

IC:

"Get out of my head, snake."

I growled the threat even as I tore through the mental communication that Hakann was compelled to give with the same words. If a duel was how armies based giving up tactical advantages on this island, then I frankly wanted no part. There was nothing to be gained from defeating a powerful foe in this ridiculous show, the Maru would be dead all the same, whether it was from blasting apart his body or running him through with a sword. By Eisen's hand or one of the mercenaries gathered around the site of violence like flies to a carcass, it made no difference.

It was if the Fe-toa thought this honor made him any better than the rest of these murderers.

No sooner had the Maru made his first move that I began issuing orders to my own Rahkshi, though it was difficult enough to stop them from rushing to tear the Maru limb from limb. Cyclone and chain lightning moved to follow Hakann, partially to assist and partially to watch the pyromaniac. The rest spread out along the area of the battle, poised to strike should Eisen show any signs of being "defeated". I myself kept the explosive energies building in my palm, no sense in giving the Maru time to react.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC:

The Fe-Toa blinked a little, while his eyes adjusted to the newly created source of light, but he reacted quick to the incoming meteoric fireballs. White-hot, and arching overhead to slam down upon him. He interposed his shield between himself and them, at roughly a forty five degree angle, and stepped back to alter their relative trajectory. His Crast kicked in, just for a minute, to make sure Oreius didn't close too close while his shield was angled to protect against the strikes from above.

His cape, on the other hand, was in his thoughts as well and prepped to guard against any lateral fire strikes during the precious few seconds. Once he felt the fireballs burst against the shield, indicated by the perception of additional warmth against his forearm, he brought it back down to readiness. Then a step forward, directing a fraction of his element to beginning to generate short, sharp poles resting on the ground behind him.

How, he wondered, would the Toa of Fire react?

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

Dehkaz was the first to break the silence that had between them, though more as a result of the frigid landscape than anything else. That, or the icy scenery has drawn him back into familiar habits.

"So, Ko-Koro?" He asked, unwilling to open up the recently closed wound just yet. There were far better things to devote his time and energy towards besides his own peace of mind. Regardless, it was obvious that the uncertainty, the fear, that had laced his voice before was gone. Replaced with a confidence, almost a freedom, that he hadn't expressed for as long as he'd known the toa of Stone. "Or... go and round up some friends to bring the insane cultists camping out there down for good?"

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC:

He had the distinct feeling that Naona wasn't going to stop until physically forced to do so from pure exhaustion, and it was all too familiar, and just as worrying.

"We'll cut between Po-Wahi and Ta-Wahi, it shouldn't take long to reach Naho bay from there."

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC 

The fire did not burn Eisen away: the Toa of Iron stood as tall and strong as ever, his cape fluttering in the wind. Oreius filled his lungs once more with the mountain air, then exhaled, and willed a brighter fire into being.

A wall of flames rose from the snow before him, sparking and snapping and throwing heat before it like a herald. Bringing his hands into his chest, the Toa Maru concentrated, then threw his hands out, directing the fiery barricade to speed across the ground, quickly bearing down upon his opponent.

IC:

Waves of heat radiated off of the oncoming inferno even from a distance, and only intensified as the blaze approached. Snow melted in its path, water vaporized in an instant to steam, and the temperature of the area crept inexorably higher with every instant it was in existence. No space to move left, no space to move right, and Eisen didn't dare try to weather the storm. Convection would burn him in an instant, and even if it didn't, he would've willingly allowed a large quantity of the Maru's element inside his guard. 

That left only up. 

Rather than evade, Eisen's advance quickened into a run while the poles he had generated raised from the ground and rushed forward to either side. The wall was an obstacle for the Fe-Toa, yes, but for those brief moments Oreius couldn't see his opponent. A fact he intended to take advantage of. A few feet from the oncoming wall he pushed off from the ground, his momentum carrying him forward and up. He wouldn't have a hope of clearing the wall unaided, but that was where his Crast kicked in. Repelling the ground for a brief moment added to his upward momentum, carrying him up and over the wall in a parabolic arc towards the ground on the other side and ultimately his opponent. His shield was held close to his body, safeguarding it from anything unexpected during his brief flight.

His remotely controlled assets had not been idle during this time. While their master arched over, they went around. They moved as though with a mind of their own, skirting the edge of the inferno and rocketing towards the Ta-Toa from left and right.

fK5oqYf.jpg

OOC: Korero, Leah, Stannis and Sulov from Ta-Wahi.

IC (Korero)

Four Toa Maru now stood in a previously-empty house. As the Hiko's glow faded, Korero looked around the small house's single room for Oreius. But the Toa of Fire was nowhere to be seen.

"Something's wrong," he said, unease creeping into his voice. "Oreius should be here."

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC:

Hesitancy in trusting Jin and Pae aside, I had still just made a cross-island trek through the snow. No matter how much of me wanted to keep one eye open and one palm on the hilt of my knife, I still found myself sinking into the nearest chair and drifting off into sleep.

For my very own Judas and the other two members of my motley crew, delivered as I activate my thermographic lenses and begin my search:

I find it unlikely the Maru is alone. As such, I will search for the other members of his rescue party. Sylus, your assistance would be appreciated.

IC:

If Sylus had been disturbed by the prospect of his imminent incineration-by-Maru, it didn't show. His face still bore a lazy smile and a pair of glittering eyes, and his stride was still as confident as ever as he made his way over to the black-eyed bully that was (for now) his employer. A slight nod towards Hakann was the only physical clue he gave to having heard the Skakdi's instruction.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

My Rahkshi separate into three pairs, two sub-units instructed to search the surrounding area while one sub-unit remains for personal protection. I continue on foot, moving out of direct line of sight of the battle's quickly building mass of observers. If any other heroes have followed the Maru through Ko-Koro's gates (and I suspect they have) they will most likely be watching the battle quite closely. The ideal location for such an audience would possess two qualities: unobtrusiveness, in the occurence that their champion fails and they must melt back into the crowds, and tactical utility, in case they must join their champion in combat. Rooftops, smaller alleyways, and abandoned buildings are the immediate choices, and even now my Rahkshi search these while they analyze the crowds, reporting back to Mind Reading with their findings.

As I wait for the information to be collected, I pause in a newly empty sidestreet, searching for hidden heat signatures. Sylus has followed, still wearing his porcelain smile. 

"I am curious, Mr. Tudor," my voice is quiet, calm, possessing the same inflections I adopted while in the Sanctum. "As to your thoughts concerning your new Kanohi."

Edited by Simulacrum

pNNgXax.jpg

IC:

"I can't deny that it's nice never to worry about losing my keys again," Sylus said, hand scratching the back of his neck while also being within particularly close proximity to the hilt of his sword. "And I have to say, I enjoy the idea that I'll never be snuck up on again. Might make surprise parties a bit of a drag though."

The fingers of his free hand twirling the air by his side, he added, "Still, does it come in a bigger size? I've been getting headaches ever since I put it on."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

"I suspected as much. My apologies for your discomfort, Mr. Tudor. I was uncertain about the exact nature of the mask, and its mythic reputation only worsened matters. It is quite the disappointment to find it so short of its fame." I reach into my satchel, expression still calm and gaze focused on the distance remaining between my employee's sword and his hand. 

"Not all artifacts are so vague, however. There is a certain item with a quite specific, but by no means less impressive, description," having found their target, my fingers tighten and draw it forth. The hint of a smile on my lips, I raise it to eye-level, analyzing the artistry of its constructions. As a man able to recognize the Elda, he shall find no great difficulty here. "If the reputation of this item proved to be well-earned, I feel we both would see the wisdom in its serving as a replacement."

My hand extends in offering, grin widening by a fraction of a centimeter. To my left and right, the Rahkshi straighten. "Consider it a gesture of goodwill."

Edited by Simulacrum

pNNgXax.jpg

IC:

Grey and lifeless it may have been, the air seemed to turn electric when the Hak-man pulled it out of his bag, setting the world all around on edge. The Rahkshi straightened, and even Sylus Tudor, man of languid gazes and lazy smiles, found his breath snatched away in a rare moment of awe. Some part of him cursed that. He should have known better than to be surprised. He can pull an Elda out of his hat, what else is he capable of?

"Circular. With that horn on its forehead, it's unmistakeable," the broker said, his hands reaching out to brush its surface, a small grin forming on his face. "Hakann, old boy, where do you find all these wonderful toys?"

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Dehkaz

There was, frankly, no stopping the toa of Stone. Even though Dehkaz didn't particularly have any desire too; there was no time to stop, not while a whole village stayed under the rule of madmen. He was acutely aware of the fact that there was more to her determination than just her commitment to stopping them, Naona was dealing with Hari leaving in her own way.

Of course, he wasn't about to let Naona drop dead from her unwavering march, they weren't in it alone.

OOC: Naokaz to Ga.

IC (Aparangi & Rewera):

IC: Kythera

The vortixx tilted her head to the side for a moment at the mention of their teammate, the name was oddly familiar, though she didn't dwell on it long. Kythera took a second to examine the map, looking over the area that Aparangi had indicated. Ambages, now that was a name that she did know. Using the slime of a matoran's own secrets to make their way into the village had a sort of poetic justice about it. She could kinda appreciate that.

"I like it," She smirked, crossing her arms. "Now, if I were a con man who thought he was too smart for his own good, where would I hide an entrance?"

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

"Some buried treasure is worth the dangers of digging through hallowed ground. I believe that if a man is going to pillage the tomb of god, he may as well take the lion's share."

I flip the mask in my hand, gripping its horn between thumb and forefinger and bringing the chin of the mask to the the eye level of the Elda. "Shall we trade, Mr. Tudor?"

Edited by Simulacrum

pNNgXax.jpg

IC

The wall of fire moved inexorably forward, melting snow beneath and heating the frigid air around. As it moved, Oreius conjured another fireball at his fingertips, ready to catch Eisen off guard should he weather the storm.

But his opponent was resourceful. Eisen's heat signature, which had vanished in the face of the blazing wall's heat, reappeared above the wall as he launched himself over the obstacle and towards the Toa of fire. Simultaneously, Oreius sensed the sudden movement of unknown projectiles skirting his attack and moving towards him from both sides. Probably metallic, knowing his opponent's element and knowing that few other materials would collect enough heat for him to sense their approach. They would be upon him in a moment.

He had only seconds: Eisen's projectiles approached, and so did the Toa himself, falling from the sky like a meteor. But seconds were all he needed. Abandoning the flames in his hand, which dissolved into so many sparks, the Toa Maru called forth Inu's power. The Parakuka abandoned himself in a rush of energy that flooded his host's frame, filling him with unnatural strength. Their minds became one, and they sprang from the earth faster than the strike of Nui-Jaga's tail; they leapt at Eisen as he fell, their blades ready as they prepared to meet their opponent in mid-air.

IC:

Under normal circumstances, Sylus would have bantered around a little more before taking the mask. After all, while a gift horse ought never be looked at in the mouth, as his dearly-departed father once said, when one happens to be working with what appears to be a violent sociopath with access to resources that you could only dream about, well ... it might be worth just taking a peek inside that ol' equestrian gullet. Not that the so-called "czar of the polite transgression" was afraid of poison barbs lining the Kanohi, or some fancy explosive waiting to go off in his face, or any number of possible gruesome and (knowing what he did about Hakann) creative end results of the transaction.

That being said ... neither the Skakdi or his hench-Rahkshi seemed the type to take "no" for an answer.

"Sounds like a plan," Sylus said, cranking up his smile a notch as he peeled off the Elda and carefully replaced it.

He let a moment pass quietly, waiting for the explosion, the sudden weakness. But nothing happened.

"...how do I look?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow.

-Void

• Upvote 2

[ BZPRPG ]

My smile widens by the slightest fraction, but I give no verbal response. Mind Reading begins its silent whispers, reporting back with the information gathered by the other Rahkshi. Great lengths of time have been wasted this day, and the chance certainly exists that these coming moments will likewise be spent in vain.

I am willing to gamble that this will not be the case.

"I would like to tell you something, Mr. Tudor."

My grin becomes stone, joining my gaze as an epitome of emptiness. Hands, clasped behind my back as usual, now grow hard in their grip.

"I am a kind man," Mind Reading pauses, restructuring the information presented in response to unintentional error, movements as precise as my instructions demand. "and I do not enjoy resorting to violence. I give quarter to those who request it. I withhold pain from those who beg. I provide mercy to traitors. I do not punish the disloyal, nor reward the faithful. In all my doings, I am kind to my opponents. I am an unfair man, and my subordinates cannot expect their loyalty to produce great things. I do not enjoy the agony necessity forces me to create, and I hesitate to bestow it upon even the most deserving."

I pause on the last syllable, considering Mind Reading's report in its totality. My stare, hidden by its own dark, drifts across the buildings nearest the duel.

"And you, Sylus, would be wise to consider me disposable."

My gaze returns from the thermographic to reclaim its vivid scarlet, accompanying my smile as it regains its semblance of life. Behind the Rode-clad head of Mr. Tudor, its outline hard against the Ko-Wahi sky, stands the stone husk of the ideal location for what is to come. I turn for a moment, seemingly uninterested in any response on the part of my employee, to gesture to Mind Reading. Turning back to the Toa, my grin and eyes now fully alive, I speak with a voice made rich by calm.

"So, tell me, Mr. Tudor: Does the mask work?

Edited by Simulacrum
  • Upvote 1

pNNgXax.jpg

OOC: Korero, Leah, Stannis and Sulov from Ta-Wahi.

IC [Leah - safehouse, Ko-Koro]:

She blinked a couple of times, shaking off the second of disorientation that lasted after every Hiko-powered location-change with her teammate. They had done it enough times by now though for the effect to fade almost immediately. Having regained her bearings, she looked around the room they were now in. It was a wisely chosen location to make their entrance. It would allow them to enter the village unnoticed and give them a little time to plan while in the village itself. Unfortunately, plans relied on intel. Intel was provided by Korero and Oreius in this case - and Oreius was nowhere to be seen. Leah fought against the old Le-Matoran instinct to comment on the situation with snark. Instead, she took the facts and immediately went to work with them as she tried something she had made very little use of so far since becoming a Toa.

Closing her eyes and calling upon her element, she reached out through it. Of course, Ko-Wahi was mostly rocky mountains buried under unfathomable amounts of ice in turn covered by seemingly endless snow - but there was still water here for her to sense with her power. Not just in the air - it was also within living things. It gave her a rough indication of where beings were in proximity to her and the amount of liquid present in them, which in turn was an indication to their size or how many were gathered. It wasn't exactly like using and Akaku to pinpoint and observe from miles and miles away, but it was reliable enough. And if what she felt needed to be confirmed, it would be easy for Korero or Sulov to call upon their elements to double check where there were vibrations in the ground or air flowing around beings.

Aside from the four Toa in the hut, there was nobody else in the immediate vicinity of the building, though she noted several smaller concentrations of water moving around the village. The biggest amount however came from a little further away. She opened her eyes. Since they were inside the house, she had no point of reference to tell where in the village they were exactly. So she looked to the other Maru as she raised a hand, pointing at the wall beyond which she had felt the concentration of water in the distance, and said: 

"Unless Echelon commissioned a heated public pool, there seems to be a relatively large crowd gathered in that direction."

IC: Kythera

IC [Rewera & Aparangi, Ko-Wahi]:

Rewera squinted at the map. She hadn't been on the stakeout, but the piece of parchment was easy enough to decode, even if there were only outlines of buildings there.

"Looks like he chose to cozy up right next to the defensive wall." she commented. 

Aparangi nodded. "Yup. Right next to it."

"So a tunnel?" Rewera asked. "He's got the money to pay people to build one and more than enough to buy their silence or have them silenced if they don't."

"Maybe..." Aparangi considered. "It would be possible. Of course he'd need to make sure to keep wildlife out, which can be solved with a hatch so you don't get a Muaka cub rummaging through your living room. But it still leaves two issues: A tunnel leading far enough away from the village would risk getting buried by avalanches or just the constant snowfall alone, even if it emerges in a relatively safe area. So it'd require constant maintenance. And your secret entrance isn't so secret if you have to pay somebody to stand with a broom at the ready at the exit."

Rewera nodded. "And any Toa of Stone or Earth would be able to detect a hollow structure that long in no time, not to mention someone accidentally coming across it. So were looking at something closer to home here. Somewhere one wouldn't look for an entrance."

She started to grin slyly. "I don't think those who run this place intended for another entrance in that big wall aside from the main gate..."

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC: Chivinix [Rooftops of Ko-Koro]

The insectoid knew not who was fighting, nor for what reason they were fighting, and it did not care to learn these answers. No, It's only concern in the matter was the magnitude of the fight. Much like a Kofo-Jaga the insectoid was drawn to fight the instant the Maru first attack was launched. It's antennae picking up the sudden change in temperature brought upon by the fireballs, the insectoid raced across the rooftops of the Koro, claws barely touching as it's wings carried it. 

Though unlike the Kofo-Jaga, it knew enough to watch from afar less it be thrust into an encounter it was not invited to. With the majority of the sanctum's focus being upon the fight, Chivinix scaled one of the smaller towers of the Sanctum, coming to rest upon the roof of the tower, crouched low with it's claws clutching the edge like some gargoyle meant to evoke dread. Motionless it sat, it's void-like eyes focused upon the grand spectacle below. 

If anyone saw it's arrival, it cared not as it's focus was elsewhere.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

IC (Ihu-Koro):

A woman stood alone and hugged her cloak close to keep out the eager teeth of winter. 

Snow fell in even shards of precipitation, glimmering with a gnawing white. The shards congealed in swathes of alabaster, hugging close to the mountain peaks and constricting the jagged grey-black faces of stone with veins of rime. Clouds hung close to the earth, their haze and wisps coiling and shifting minutely, keeping pace with the pregnancy of cold.

A woman stood alone and watched the sun touch the earth. 

A horizon blossomed with new life, burning with sun-glow laughs of orange and pink. The underbellies of cirrostratus skyscapes grew translucent, burnt by the saturated harshness of dying light. Night fell with a crown of stars and swallowed the first day of the end, its shadow smothering and hiding a new-found kingdom of sinners.

When dawn came, a woman stood alone in a swarm of the broken and stared at the possessionless and wondered at their purpose and their role in the grand and cyclical scheme of things. Their sunken, sleepless eyes and their hollow hearts held no answer. Their speech told nothing she hadn't found in the first moments of news. A great emptiness had descended upon the outpost. A great fear brought by empty pockets and hungry mouths and the news of an undead foe. It weakened as the weeks passed but it did not vanish.

A woman stood alone in the slowly melting shadows of the first hints of daybreak, stabbing emerald gaze the only hint of life. The violets and metal-grays of her skin lit in soft orange, she stood and counted the fast vanishing stars, the wool of her cloak held close with a grip as tight as death. When the lights flickered newly weak and the chimney smoke wisps grew thicker in their complex and beautiful sequence, she would count the faces and the sounds, half predator, half guardian. Her emerald gaze never faltered.

A woman stood alone and waited as a world awoke.

pNNgXax.jpg