Official Greg Compendium

Official Greg Compendium

Thanks to the BS01 staff, over the last few months we've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to talk with Greg Farshtey. Additionally, Greg has been spending time on the LEGO Message Boards, offering the fanbase there the opportunity to ask questions like the BS01 staff has allowed us. However, as every chat's results are posted in a separate topic, discussion has become a bit fragmented here on BZPower.

Combined with the recent announcement of the archives closing, there's a lot of storyline information that's being either taken down or buried. Additionally, the topic over at LEGO.com where Greg answers questions is riddled with spammy questions and requests, meaning that on the occasion someone posts a legitimate question that has not yet been answered it is also quickly buried. (As of the posting of this topic, it is 231 pages long and isn’t showing any signs of slowing down!) That’s where this topic comes in.

This will serve as a compendium of the information Greg has shared: we'll have links to old Greg quotes, courtesy of Fishers64, and Erebus's topics. You can also post any storyline tidbits you may have: if it's an old PM you never posted, a post you found on the LEGO Message Boards topic, or something similar you want to share and discuss, it belongs here!

[Note: Double-posting is, yes, is, allowed here IF you are posting a new quote from Greg. :) ]

Fishers64's Greg Quotes

Note: these are all downloads.

Greg Answers TXT.zip (Note: this is a large download)

Greg Answers DOCX.zip (Note: this is a large download, and has same content as the previous)

Greg Posts.zip - A selection of 15 Greg posts, each of which is placed in a separate TXT file. There is also one txt file containing three posts dating from September 2005.

Erebus's Topics (in Chronological Order)

[update 9/20] Disguised Great Being Revealed!

[update 10/17] Red Star Revelations

Names and a Certain Green Cloud

GregF Answers

New Elemental Prefix - Lightning

GregF Answers 2

New Elemental Prefix - Plasma

New Elemental Prefix - Magnetism + Plant Life

"Chat with Greg Farshtey" topic on the LEGO Message Boards

Much thanks to Infrared for proposing and drafting this topic, and fishers64 for the quote download collections! And of course, thanks to Greg for all the answers he's given over the years, and everybody who has posted the answers, such as Erebus!

Enjoy!

[Edit: Thanks also to TheSkeletonMan939 for the following: How to see all Greg's posts on the LMB, and a download of the Farshtey Feed, a feature we ran in the old forum version of S&T (lemme know if this link ever stops working and I'll put up another, as it appears this has a since-last-download expiration). This topic was lost in the recent downtime but I had backed it up; those were from a reply in it.]

[Edit 2: Thanks to JAG18 for compiling a collection of about 230 quotes from the Greg topic on LEGO.com.]

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 7

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Here's one I found interesting:

Hi Greg, Do you know how Metus is doing. Does he fare well or foul? Cheerio, Paploo.

My guess is Metus is feeling like he is at something of a crossroads in his life right now. His plotting did not get him anywhere and being turned into a snake was pretty traumatic, even if he has recovered now. I would imagine he is doing a lot of thinking about what course he should pursue next. I'd actually love to have him run across Ahkmou and see how they got along.

Source I like the idea of Metus and Ahkmou joining up and becoming a pair of anti-heroes (or villains, depending).

• Upvote 2

Are the three downloadable files all the same files in different formats or are they each different?

Just want to know before i download anything

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Are the three downloadable files all the same files in different formats or are they each different?

Assuming you mean fishers' downloads, the formats are mentioned in the filenames. First and third are TXT. Second is Word (but I recommend against this one unless you've got a supercomputer :P -- it's just another format option of the first).

SkeletonMan's Farshtey Feed download is Word (I haven't had any problems with it, although it isn't super short).

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Assuming you mean fishers' downloads, the formats are mentioned in the filenames. First and third are TXT. Second is Word (but I recommend against this one unless you've got a supercomputer :P -- it's just another format option of the first).

SkeletonMan's Farshtey Feed download is Word (I haven't had any problems with it, although it isn't super short).

Well i was reffering to the ones under Greg quotes

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

The ones under Greg quotes are all mine. The file downloads themeselves are .zip folders, the files contained within are .txt or .docx, as indicated on the download link. .txt files are just plain text, like you would open in Notepad.

The ones under Greg quotes are all mine. The file downloads themeselves are .zip folders, the files contained within are .txt or .docx, as indicated on the download link. .txt files are just plain text, like you would open in Notepad.

*Groans*

Ok i understand that they are different formats.. what i am asking is despite being different formats are they the same documents as in same info in them or are they completely different files?

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

what i am asking is despite being different formats are they the same documents as in same info in them or are they completely different files?

I did already answer this in my first reply to you, but perhaps not clearly enough -- the first download (the TXT) and the second (the DOC) have the same content, yes. I recommend only getting the first, as the second can take a long time to load. The third and (now) fourth (SkeletonMan's) are each unique downloads. Is that clear enough? :)

• Upvote 1

what i am asking is despite being different formats are they the same documents as in same info in them or are they completely different files?

I did already answer this in my first reply to you, but perhaps not clearly enough -- the first download (the TXT) and the second (the DOC) have the same content, yes. I recommend only getting the first, as the second can take a long time to load. The third and (now) fourth (SkeletonMan's) are each unique downloads. Is that clear enough? :)

Yes that actually makes far more sense than the first answer you gave

With this you only told me what i already knew that they were different formats.. But yeah now with this it makes alot more sense.. thank you.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

Now we are one step closer to stalking Greg. Anyways this is a great compilation and I'm liking what I'm reading here

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

• 2 weeks later...

There's an interesting tidbit here, in the second post. Although Greg's wording isn't definitive, it would appear to confirm that Velika stole Lesovikk's dagger -- although, since Lesovikk does not have a dagger and we've never specifically seen Velika with it, that's really kind of a surprising confirmation.

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

• 1 month later...

An interesting quote on the GBs:

SInce we don't have many pictures of the Great Beings, I was wondering what they look like. I know Velika disguised himself as a Matoran, but in most of the pictures of unnamed Great Beings they don't look like Bionicles at all! Are they totally organic? And I was also wondering what turned Velika evil.

I always saw them as being most likely of the same species as the Glatorian. We never discussed the concept of them coming from some other world or anything like that. But exactly what they look like was never determined.

Source

• Upvote 1

So maybe they used to be part of the same species, but diverged and became their own subspecies of sorts (probably viewing themselves as another race entirely) after encountering Annona...?

That would make sense, perhaps like the Toa Nuva evolved from regular toa, or how the Bohrok-Kal evolved from regular bohrok. Alternatively, they might not have evolved at all, but simply developed their ambiguous powers through some mutation, and are simply a group of unusually gifted and creative glatorian. They may not even have powers, and, like the Nynrah Ghosts, be an autonomous society of builders. They have yet to clearly and directly demonstrate any abilities (Velika may have simply "rebuilt" himself, as matoran do, rather than shapeshifting), other than that one who went insane (even then, he could have received that power from the Ignika). Their other "powers," as called at the BS01, could simply be due to their skill with technology. This is all mere speculation, but it has yet to be ruled out. All we know is that they are, essentially, the Freemasons of Spherus Magna.

bBhcfWO.png

Velika may have simply "rebuilt" himself, as matoran do, rather than shapeshifting

In the contest to guess his identity, Greg said that one option (though he didn't necessarily confirm or deny it happened with Velika) was that the GB "stored his consciousness" for a while to be downloaded into a being made physically at any time in the MU. I take that to mean likely that he did store his consciousness, the question is for how long. Since Velika was in Karzahni, and Matoran stopped being sent there very early on, probably not long at all. So, likely he did not "rebuild his body" or "shapeshift" but was downloaded into a fully normal Matoran body.

Anywho, this is very interesting news. I've been assuming the same basic thing; nice to see Greg was thinking along the same lines, although this doesn't appear to actual confirmation. :shrugs:

At least we can definitely rule out aliens, unless LEGO later decides that. We can rule out that that is what they have decided now (of course, he already told us they were native to SM, we just weren't sure if that was "native after Annona" or what).

Their other "powers," as called at the BS01, could simply be due to their skill with technology. This is all mere speculation, but it has yet to be ruled out.

Indeed. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Pretty much every power we see in BIONICLE isn't actually magic, it is incredibly advanced technology. The psychic powers of the Sisters of the Skrall may be one of the few things that is "magic". Perhaps "unexplained organic abilities" would be a good term, since "magic" is just a term we use when we have no idea of what is going on. Beyond their enhanced creative abilities, I think everything the Great Beings does is based on technology. They might have augmented their bodies to gain powers too, but we can't say for certain. If they do have powers, they'd most likely be so well integrated that to any outside observer it would look like magic (like the Biotics in the Mass Effect universe).
  • Upvote 1

Their other "powers," as called at the BS01, could simply be due to their skill with technology. This is all mere speculation, but it has yet to be ruled out.

Indeed. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Pretty much every power we see in BIONICLE isn't actually magic, it is incredibly advanced technology. The psychic powers of the Sisters of the Skrall may be one of the few things that is "magic". Perhaps "unexplained organic abilities" would be a good term, since "magic" is just a term we use when we have no idea of what is going on. Beyond their enhanced creative abilities, I think everything the Great Beings does is based on technology. They might have augmented their bodies to gain powers too, but we can't say for certain. If they do have powers, they'd most likely be so well integrated that to any outside observer it would look like magic (like the Biotics in the Mass Effect universe).

I was more referring to this:

They are able to manipulate many facets of their creations, and can appear invisible to them at will, as well as being able to communicate to them across dimensions.

All of these simply affect their creations. It is quite possible that the Great Beings achieve these effects through the use of various devices, perhaps like Morgoz in Drawn to Disaster. Of course, it is just as possible that they have augmented themselves. As far as explaining powers goes, while I do believe there is truth to your theory, I doubt it is all done only through technology. Perhaps it's just that BIONICLE breaks the laws of thermodynamics, and I simply want that to believe that it's magic, rather than advanced technology. I blame BIONICLE's shift from fantasy to sci-fi.

• Upvote 1

bBhcfWO.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Posts on these two pages further clarify Velika's plan: ultimately, "he wants to rule" Spherus Magna, because he "feels [the Core War and the Shattering] happened because of poor, weak leadership by the Great Beings" and that "a stronger hand is needed".

(Also, "one would hope" that the remaining Iron Tribe survivors would be accepted into the new society. That's not really a clear confirmation that they have been or will be, but I thought it was interesting regardless.)

Edited by Angel Bob
  • Upvote 3
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Velika's plan: ultimately, "he wants to rule" Spherus Magna

Darn, I had hoped his plan would be some sort of misguided "I'm saving Spherus Magna" or alternately just "We have to shut down the AI as originally intended", not simply "I want to rule the planet" like most of the big villains we've had so far. Oh well. Velika will have to be taken down anyways, I guess.

• Upvote 1

Velika's plan: ultimately, "he wants to rule" Spherus Magna

Darn, I had hoped his plan would be some sort of misguided "I'm saving Spherus Magna" or alternately just "We have to shut down the AI as originally intended", not simply "I want to rule the planet" like most of the big villains we've had so far. Oh well. Velika will have to be taken down anyways, I guess.

I also remember reading a quote in the topic, where Greg said that it would take a good and evil alliance and at least one Great Being to stop Velika.

• Upvote 2

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

I also remember reading a quote in the topic, where Greg said that it would take a good and evil alliance and at least one Great Being to stop Velika.

One Toa with the ability to read his mind. One Great Being with the tech to place dimensional portals in places he isn't looking. One Dark Hunter with a well-placed throwing knife. :P

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 1

One Toa with the ability to read his mind. One Great Being with the tech to place dimensional portals in places he isn't looking. One Dark Hunter with a well-placed throwing knife. :P

I wouldn't exactly consider a dark hunter to be specifically evil, but more subjective. They work for profit, not for spite. Also, I assume it would probably take a much greater attack than what you're implying.

Edited by Makuta Luroka
  • Upvote 1

bBhcfWO.png

Velika is a Great Being hiding in the form of a Matoran -- essentially, a scientist-king. So there is no telling what kind of weaponry/devices he has access to, given the inventive genius of the GBs. He knows every detail of the creation of the beings of the MU, which also means he knows how to destroy them. I think you would need an alliance of good and bad, plus the help of at least one GB, to stop him.

Link scroll to like the ninth post.

Still think that Dark Hunter and his little knife is enough Katuko? :P

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't exactly consider a dark hunter to be specifically evil, but more subjective. They work for profit, not for spite. Also, I assume it would probably take a much greater attack than what you're implying.

I imagine that killing the Matoran body would stop Velika rather nicely, and I'm not sure if he has any sort of precognitive telepathic skills in it. Maybe he does have such a piece of tech with him, maybe not. A knife should still work. :P Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 1

Posts on these two pages further clarify Velika's plan: ultimately, "he wants to rule" Spherus Magna, because he "feels [the Core War and the Shattering] happened because of poor, weak leadership by the Great Beings" and that "a stronger hand is needed".

(Also, "one would hope" that the remaining Iron Tribe survivors would be accepted into the new society. That's not really a clear confirmation that they have been or will be, but I thought it was interesting regardless.)

This is very cool news. I thought he had something like that in mind, but nice to see confirmation of it. BTW, though, I would prefer people post the full quotes here; could somebody do that? (I don't have time to find them myself right now.) It's best to have these things in as many places as possible (where warranted) in case for example a glitch makes the data get lost at one source, etc. and it just saves time for those reading the news.

To Katuko's reply (I assume your edit was partly to elaborate on that), it does sound like he does think he's "saving" SM. :) By ruling. Probably power hunger is involved, though -- that is probably necessary and I have assumed there's something like that. Clearly he enjoys or does not mind making life and death judgments on people (in some cases clearly enjoys, so it's been clear since before we even knew the character in the unfinished serial chapters was Velika that he had some serious sadistic traits).

• Upvote 3

in the yesterday quest, it was mentioned that the great being disguised (velika) had dark plans for Spherus Magna and its people what it is?

1) He wants to rule them

why velika wants rule them residents of Spherus Magna?

Because he feels that the disaster on Spherus Magna happened because of poor, weak leadership by the Great Beings. He feels a stronger hand is needed.

The following quote is unrelated to the Velika subject; I am posting it here to prove a point I made on BS01. I found the quote in the document Greg Dialogue HTML (2008).txt, linked in the original post. ;)

(I know, I know, I'm an unlikable know-it-all with a burning need for vindication. Regardless -- official information.)

1. Chiroxís Rahi are known to contribute nothing but death to the ecosystem. Examples are the Doom Viper, which has toxic breath; Lohrak, which have toxic skin; and Visorak, who we know capture and mutate anything they come across.

Catapult Scorpions are quite vicious Rahi. When they come out of their nest, they destroy everything in their path. They consider almost everything that moves an enemy. All they contribute to the ecosystem is death and destruction; sounds like Chiroxís cup of tea. Did Chirox create the Catapult Scorpion?

1) Yes

Edited by Angel Bob
  • Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

Quotes from the Chat with Greg Farshtey Topic:

Q) How did Zaktan survive Teridax's attack?

A) Keep in mind that Zaktan is essentially a mutant. Things that might be expected to work on someone normal might not work the same on him.

Page 24 Post 11

Q) Also, why Velika? [As a Great Being]

A) Because his ... strangeness ... made a lot more sense if you considered that he was actually a Great Being. In some ways, his manner of speech was a way of toying with his creations.

Page 28 Post 5

Q) Which Toa do you think you identified most with?

A) I really didn't "identify" with any of them. They're heroes and bio-mechanical beings of action, and I'm a writer. They fight evil, I sit behind a desk and type

Page 28 Post 13

Q) If Ignika was alive when Mata Nui was in the mask were they like roomies?

A) It is more like coats of paint -- Mata Nui's mind is on top of Ignika's.

Page 42 Post 3

Q) Have you thought in the fact of how the Matoran species will persevere?

A) Manufacturing facilities would have to be created to produce them

Page 57 Post 2

Q) Was Sidorak revived on Red Star, as he was beaten to death by Keetongu?
A) Yes. Method of death doesn't really matter

Page 59 Post 12

Q) How about Dark Hunter Guardian, who was killed by being pulled underground by Teridax?

A) Yes

Page 59 Post 12

Q) Why exactly are the Kestora in the Red Star in the first place? …Also, was the reason why Kopaka saw so many gruesome things inside the star due to the reason that perhaps the Kestora did what they said they would do to and tried disecting various beings to find out why they could not go back to Mata Nui?
A) The Kestora were basically the crew of the red star. As for Kopaka, if you saw a bunch of people you knew to be dead up and walking around, you would be freaked out too.

Page 60 Post 2

Q) Do the old Bionicle sets actually have hands in you books?

A) They don't have hands like we do, but what they have, they call hands.

Page 62 Post 1

Q) If Lariska dies, will she get a new arm on the Red Star?

A) Most likely, yes.

Page 64 Post 5

Q)How did Takua became a Toa by wearing the Kanohi Avohkii? (It would be awesome if the mask contained fragments of a Toa Stone.)

A) Never been revealed. That was one of those movie script things that didn't necessarily conform to the rules of the universe.

Post 64 Post 5

Q) Can any Matoran become Toa, or do they have to be preprogrammed for that?

A) Only certain Matoran are destined to be Toa, so no, any Matoran cannot become a Toa.

Page 64 Post 7

Q) Where do the Matoran, Agori, Toa, ect live now? Did they create a new mega-village, or did they go into separate villages again?

A) My guess would be they would stay pretty close together initially. Having separate villages on Mata Nui made them vulnerable.

Page 66 Post 3.

Q) "Tyrant" was last seen falling in the sea, swearing revenge! Did he drown, or is he planning his revenge right now?

A) I don't believe he is dead, no

Page 68 Post 3

Q) Can the Kestora wear Kanohi?
A) Good question. I would not rule that possibility out

Page 71 Post 14

Q) You said Velika was a great being in disguise. Why did he wish to kill Tren Krom, Karzhanni, and all the people who were meeting with the other Great Being?

A) My own theory is that he wanted to keep the MU inhabitants at a manageable power level so they could be more easily controlled. The beings he was killing were way more powerful than that level.

Page 74 Post 13

Q) Finally could you go in more depth about the golden skinned being, would he have been evil or good?

A) I didn't see him as being good or evil, essentially amoral, He makes dreams come true. If you have evil dreams, he will make those happen, if you have good dreams, he will make those happen. It really doesn't matter to him.

Page 74 Post 13

Q) Finally, if the golden skinned being was not evil nor good, (9B) why did he have so much power, and (9C) why would he enslave the Toa. (9D)Would he pose a threat to the potential settlers of spheres magna?

A) You don't have to be evil or good to have power ... and he enslaved the Toa because he was fulfilling the dreams of the Skakdi, and it would depend on who he was working with. If he started fulfilling the dreams of the Toa, it might be a much nicer world.

Page 77 Post 3

Q) Are there more colors of Skakdi then the six seen?

A) Not that I know of.

Page 89 Reply 4

Q) Continuing on with the Time motif, if Time had a prefix would it be Va? I imagine it's trademarked already (Bohrok Va), and linguistically it could mean "time" as a prefix and "helper" as a suffix (and I'm sure people would have fun figuring out why that's the case over on BZPower
A) That sounds like a linguistic nightmare. I'll pass. Since there is no Toa of Time or Time tribe, no need for a prefix for this.

Page 95 Post 13

Q) Were Rahkshi (or the process of making them) invented for the Makuta by the Great Beings, or did Makuta invent them?

A) Good question. I believe the capability had to have come from the GBs, which means they were intended to play some worthwhile role in the universe.

Page 99 Post 6

Q) Does the Red Star also fix mental problems when resurrecting, or just physical ones?

A) Physical

Page 100 Post 6

Q) How do the Red Star know when somebody is dead and must be teleported? Is there some kind of marker inside the MUians? Their lifestones, maybe?
A) …I would think there would be a number of ways it could know, for example, heat signatures. Lifestones is another possibility.

Page 103 Post 7

Q) Can you say anything more about TSO's group from Spherus Magna?

A) I think rather than having one particular mission, it will probably be an opportunistic organization like the DH was.

Page 103 Post 8

More will arrive within the week in this topic...hopefully.

Edited by JAG18
  • Upvote 5

How about I give permission for you to double post there, just this one time (say so at the very start of the post)

That's bonesiii by the way.

So, at the bottom of this post will be a link to MediaFire, where you can download a document containing almost 230 quotes from the LMB Chat with Greg Farshtey Topic. Always wanted to know what Greg's being saying over at LMB? Then this is for you. Happy reading. :)

LINK

• Upvote 5

Comments to some of the quotes in there (much thanks, Jag, BTW!). Lemme do this one first, so these'll be a bit out of order:

Page 158 Reply 5:

Q) Firstly, you defined the intrinsic ability of Matoran of Iron (how they manifest their element) as "greater physical endurance". You defined the ability of Matoran of Gravity as "resistance to high pressure". What is the difference between these two? Are Matoran of Gravity completely inferior, or does their ability include something special that might balance them out against Matoran of Iron?

A) Please note that these abilities were ones chosen by and voted on by BZPower members. I did not create them, so exactly what the details of them are really needs to come from the people who did create them.

I am not sure why the questioner seems to be confused about this; the definitions he quoted seem self-explanatory to me (nor do I recall offhand if those are exact quotes to what was in the polls). I do not see why greater endurance would have anything to do with pressure. A deep-sea fish might not get tired as fast as a different deep sea fish but would explode just as much if you rushed it up to the surface.

That said, the wording the questioner quotes (likely quoted from BS01's current wording) is a bit less clear than what was in the original poll: “Greater tolerance for carrying weight, water pressure, etc.” Source:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/7372-matoran-traits-such-gravity/

Announcement topic:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/10924-new-matoran-traits-fa-ba-su-bo-matoran/?do=findComment&comment=592593

Note that Iron's traits were not part of our polls. I presume that one was Greg's idea. Gravity is actually much easier to confuse with Stone's extra strength than with greater stamina. The difference there would seem to be that Stone is muscle strength, Gravity is cellular integrity. Both (as well as to a smaller extent Earth) would do well holding up a heavy stone for a bit, but Stone could hold it longer, and Gravity could withstand deep-ocean water pressure (and Earth could see in the dark). Iron would presumably have about as much trouble as normal people lifting the heavy stone but could keep on lifting things repeatedly for a longer time period before getting too tired. As I understand it. :)

Page 64 Reply 5:

Q) How did Takua became a Toa by wearing the Kanohi Avohkii? (It would be awesome if the mask contained fragments of a Toa Stone.)

A) Never been revealed. That was one of those movie script things that didn't necessarily conform to the rules of the universe.

In fact Greg did reveal that Toa can charge up any object with Toa Energy like a Toa Stone, and that the mask simply served that purpose. (The "Toa Stones" that the Toa Metru made in fact were just random rocks they found on the island; there's nothing special about the material used.) He may have forgotten that there. A fragment method is not necessarily impossible, though, as long as they didn't mess up the mask power (presumably they would be mixed in during the forging of the mask when it was molten, so it would essentially be the same as a mask forged to have tiny little holes in it like eyeholes and the like for decoration, rather than cracks that form later which would actually mess up the power). But it's unnecessary.

Greg might be talking about why it only worked when he put it on his face, which he's correct was never revealed (it's been theorized that this simply symbolized "being ready", and even a destined Matoran holding a Toa Stone will not be transformed until they accept responsibility for whatever will happen next, or something like that). Seems the questioner definitely didn't have that in mind; they were asking basically if it had Toa Energy and how so. Greg may have misunderstood what the questioner was asking. They might also have been asking more about who or what provided the Toa Energy, which also has not been revealed, beyond that Artakha was behind it somehow or another.

Page 65 Reply 3:

Q) Would a Toa of Iron be able to, theoretically, morph the metal of their own body?

A) I probably would say no, just because it basically makes him a shapeshifter and thus too much more powerful than other Toa

I believe this is a new limitation, similar to the special limitation on Toa of Gravity and Psionics against absorbing their element, possibly worth mentioning on the BS01 page etc. It is, however, already implied by a previous answer he gave saying they had that kind of special limitation against levitating themselves; see here:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/7922-elemental-flight-quotes-stuff/

I notice neither is mentioned on the Iron page at BS01, even though the Ba and Ce limits are. Someone might want to suggest a note about both in the Trivia section.

Page 69 Reply 3:

Q) [Do] you have a name for him [The Shadowed One]?

A) Oh, yes, there is a name for him. But as I told the folks on BZPower way back when, I am not releasing it for three reasons: 1) Everyone hated it when we named Teridax, 2) it robs him of some of his mystique, and 3) it really doesn't matter what his old name was, what matters is who he is now, and who he is now is TSO.

I'm sure he's not being literal with 'everyone', but in fact the first poll that was launched about that infamously left out any option for those that liked the name but just didn't think it was the best ever (but had options for both strong and weak dislike), so it gave a false impression to people who didn't look closely at the options. A later unbiased poll showed fair support for Teridax. Still, his reasoning stands on the grounds that it never got as much support as "Makuta." (Now, that doesn't prove people wouldn't like the Shadowed One's name, but the third point I think overrides this. Nobody calls him that; Teridax needed to be revealed, although a better name choice could have been made, because characters would really have been using it.)

Page 69 Reply 4:

Q) ….were there accents within the Matoran Universe? For example, would a Matoran from Metru Nui sound markedly different from one on the Southern Continent?

A) I think it would be fun if they did

I'm only including this one out of selfish reasons ( :P) -- I'm very glad to hear this as I have relied on it in places in my fanfics (a character theorizes about where another is from based on the accent, etc.). There are several other good revelations in Jag's file others might be more interested in, majorly recommend everybody give it a read-through. I'm just not quoting most of them here as I have nothing to add for those.

Page 71 Reply 14:

Q) Would carapar be in the Red Star?

A) Unknown. I have not made a determination about beings killed outside of the MU yet

As mentioned in the Red Star topic, Greg clearly forgot where Carapar was killed; it was on Tren Krom's island when the team led by Brutaka confronted the ancient monster; he was killed by TK. TK was fused to an island in the right arm of the giant robot -- definitely inside the MU. Greg misunderstood the reason for the question; the issue was whether the apparent weird-disintegration TK used on him counts as leaving a "body" or if that would be more like Matoro and the Makuta. (As I also mentioned in there, there's evidence from other Greg quotes, and Matoro's earlier 777 stairs revival although that wasn't on the RS, that even just dust remaining does count as a body, but with Matoro's final death, there was just nothing, and the antidermis of dead Makuta spreads out too far, etc.).

Page 81 Reply 13:

Q) Why is antidermis green but Makuta's eyes and shadow hand is red.

A) Because Makuta was designed before the idea of antidermis was created.

:lol: -- But in case the questioner actually wanted the in-story reason, and might possibly be reading over here (or if anyone else is curious), a serious answer would be that, at least for Shadow Hand, red is the color associated with Shadow (as well as black) element. Green is associated with antidermis. So, the energy itself of the Shadow Hand is dark red, apparently. The eyes are trickier but I guess that Makuta as beings must have the ability to project illusions of eyes in whatever color they want, and Teridax probably chose red because he likes to be associated very closely with Shadow (wore a Mask of Shadow, etc.).

Actually, his eyes have been shown as orange too, and maybe some others, depending on the media involved. Even just as a giant robot, they were shown both as red and orange. I have gone with orange in my retelling because more media showed that than red. (But orange is a mixture of red and yellow, so not that different.)

[Edit: Oh, and yellow in MNOG. Anywho, that doesn't really matter as he's a shapeshifter anyways so might change eye color depending on the emotional image he wished to convey at the time.]

Page 81 Reply 15:

Q) When Makuta took control of the universe, how did his hundreds of thousands of yellow Rahkshi come into being. Did lines that once produced Vahki produce their worms (Forgot their name, sorry) and creating their armor suits?

A) A manufacturing line could not produce kraata. They can only be produced by a Makuta, and you now had a Makuta who basically had godlike powers.

I'd add that a few of the other Makuta were basically enslaved and forced to make more Kraata for a while, and later killed (if memory serves...). I get the impression, although the following is just a theory, that Teridax needed to observe it happening a few times scientifically to figure out how to use his Great Spirit powers to imitate it properly, then killed off his test subjects once they'd outlived their usefulness.

Page 173 Reply 5:

Q) Concerning Nova Blasts: When a Toa performs a Nova blast, the effects take the form of whatever element the Toa is, correct? How about a Toa of Magnetism?

A) Overall, your suppositions seem correct. I would think a Toa of Magnetism would probably create an enormously powerful magnetic field, not a good thing when everyone is at least three-quarters metal.

Page 173 Reply 5:

Q) Would the magnetic field push away or pull in? Having a magnetic field that attracted objects could cause trouble for the Toa.

A) My guess it is will cause problems either way. But you are right, push out makes more sense.

I hope he reconsiders -- pull in makes WAY more sense. Only another actual magnet could be pushed (so Toa armor would be pulled), and even then, nothing would really stop most magnets from just instantly flipping around so now they're pulling. That's what happens with real magnets of significant power. (This is why LOST's Incident pulled metal toward it, not pushed, for example, and one of the Spiderman movies had something similar I think.) Pull out would mean we'd have to invoke the Bionicle physics rule and explain something else away for seemingly no reason; an opposing magnetic field being generated in other metal that turns no matter how the metal turns. It's possible but it implies a serious level of control, and a Nova Blast is supposed to be a losing of control generally.

On the other hand, pull in is already done by Gravity (but of everything, not just metal), so it might be fun for an "antimagnet bomb" to exist in Bionicle. Still, that sounds like something better left to a really experienced Toa doing that on purpose rather than a Nova Blast. Also, we already saw one in the Kal version and that was definitely pull in, so it would contradict that.

Page 207 Reply 10:

Q) When did Makuta think up the Plan? It changed over time didn't it? What was it first going to be, and when did it change to what it was in the end?

A) Makuta basically ran a lot of different plans at once. I think the plan he finally ended up executing really came into full flower at the end of 2003 storyline, when his efforts to control when the Matoran would return to Metru Nui failed.

This is an interesting tidbit. It has been established previously that he first thought of it while trapped in the protocage 1000 years before story present. This doesn't necessarily contradict that, I guess he just means that was the most recent thing that was actually a partial defeat, not just a planned fake defeat, and this forced him to rethink a few details.

It's interesting that Teridax would see that as a defeat; I wonder if the Turaga's time-out for storytelling moved things back into what he'd aimed at, and it was just the loss of control that bothered him? He did need them to return very close to that time so Mata Nui's life could be saved (unless he hadn't been as commited to the takeover plan until that point?). He could not have predicted a destiny to be fused to Takanuva in EP, of course, so this makes sense. He probably would have had a fake defeat of some kind lined up where he would still control the timing -- I wonder what it would have been?

<<Page 234 Reply 9:

Q) Was Velika really his name, or did he assume it as a Matoran?

A) He assumed it as a Matoran.

Darn it! He had earlier said that it was his original name, and I based some plot on this in my retelling. This was even part of the very first topic about the Velika = GB reveal:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/6596-update-920-disguised-great-being-revealed/

The original quote was: "The Great Being was already named Velika before inhabiting the Matoran body."

Greg is very busy now and forgetful; we should probably take such "re-questions" with salt accordingly, and go with earlier answers, in general. Especially when so much time goes by since the earlier answer that people will have likely incorporated it and there was no hint it was something he hadn't yet set in stone. (Unlike things like whether the RS could revive an MU inhabitant who was on SM at the time, which he was always clear had not been established for a while.) Admittedly, it not being his original name does make strategic sense for him, in case anyone might hear it and connect the two, but until they get back to Spherus Magna there's nobody that would know him as a Great Being (except maybe Mata Nui?). But because of the legal problem with new names, Velika is the only name we're going to get, so it would be much nicer to have it be the original.

He does seem decided on this though:

Page 238 Reply 13:

Q) Is Velika the great being's name?

A) No

Page 240 Reply 4:

Q) Is it possible that Velika's name is derived from his original GB name?

A) Doubtful

I wonder if he recalls that originally he said it was the same? Is this an intentional re-thinking or forgetting his earlier answer? Seriously, now, this is a little like suddenly saying Kopaka wasn't a member of the Toa Mata. Not trying to be negative, but some things just shouldn't be retconned... *grumbles and moves on*

[Edit: Oooh... I just thought of a possible way I could salvage the Velika-name part of my story that might be fun... I may edit, but I'll have to decide quick because a chapter calling him Velika as a GB is coming up soon...]

Page 266 Reply 3:

Q) [Can Legendary Masks be infected?]

A) My guess would be no.

Page 269 Reply 14:

Q) Why? [Can’t Legendary Masks be infected?]

A) Yes, and because I think infecting masks at that level of power would unbalance the story

This could easily be an intentional safeguard-limit added by the GBs (against the risk of a glitching Makuta; they didn't know they might actually become evil). Or, the sheer power of the energy contained in them might just overwhelm any antidermis that entered the mask.

Page 273 Reply 13:

Q) Would you ever consider posting a concluding chapter to The Yesterday Quest, and a concluding chapter to The Powers that be on BioSector01.com? (BS01)

A) I'd like to, it's just a matter of whether I can find time to do it right. I don't want to knock something off that is lousy, just to do something, you know?

Compared to previous answers, this is encouraging. :) I hope he will.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for posting the file, JAG18. Makes my life easier. :)

Below quotes are from that file.

Page 45 Reply 4:
Q) Does Hydraxon have any memories of being Dekar and does he feel any grief?
A) No.

As I pointed out in a previous topic, this contradicts an actual story protrayal. I'm starting to feel that Greg does not have fishers' memory nor the time/dedication to look things up when unsure of stuff. :P

Still, it's possible that time has erased Dekar's memories and allowed the new consciousnesses to become more firmly entrenched. The part about feeling grief is definitely true.

Page 42 Reply 3:
Q) If Ignika was alive when Mata Nui was in the mask were they like roomies?
A) It is more like coats of paint -- Mata Nui's mind is on top of Ignika's.

Wonder how this works? Mata Nui controls the mask, but should he want to do anything with it, would it be like MN Mind --> Ig Mind --> Action?
Accordingly, could Mata Nui access the mind of the Ignika, obtain memories/knowledge etc? Ig is probably not one too happy about all this, having all of its memories, and knowledge, etc sorted though. That is, if it is even aware of it.

This seems to imply that the mental connection is one-way, unless MN wants Ig to know something. That's valuable information.

Page 49 Reply 14:
Q) ….which two characters that have never fought before would you like to see fight the most?
A) Tahtorak and one of the bio-mechancial dinosaurs we were going to introduce in 2011.

Much want. Anything to see Dr. GIVE ME THE ANSWER again lol. Haven't seen Krahka in awhile, so bringing her back in would be nice too, which comes with this territory I hope.

Page 59: Reply 12:
Q) Was Sidorak revived on Red Star, as he was beaten to death by Keetongu?
A) Yes. Method of death doesn't really matter

This might throw "disintegration precludes RS revival" out the window. Argh confusion...

Page 64 Reply 5:
Q) If Lariska dies, will she get a new arm on the Red Star?
A) Most likely, yes.

I would think repair of mechanical parts on the RS would come with the territory. Although its not clear if she would just get her old mechanical arm back or a new biomechanical one (orginal).

Page 64 Reply 5:
Q) An Av-Matoran becomes a Bohrok when it dies, why isn’t it just sent to the Red Star?
A) Because that is not the way the system is set up.

Are any Av-Matoran on the RS? Bohrok on the Red Star...interesting...

Page 84 Reply 11:
Q) Do revived beings [on the Red Star] keep their memories?
A) They are supposed to, but the system is imperfect.

Interesting...I take it the MN Matoran, should they have died on the island, wouldn't have had their pre-wipe memories restored.

Page 99 Reply 6

Q) Do you think that it would be possible at all for the new Hydraxon to ever unlock his memories of being Dekar?
A) Possibly, yes

Weird. This just contradicts the earlier answer... :shrugs:

There's a lot of confusing answers about Skakdi in here that seem to contradict each other, but I'm going to say that comes with the territory at this point and move on.

Page 127 Reply 14:

Q) Did anybody managed to rescue the Toa Mahri?
A) Yes

Page 158 Reply 5:
Q) Do Great Beings have physical bodies? Can they exist without them? Did Velika obtain the "unused" body of a Po-Matoran for his own purposes, or could he have shapeshifted his own body into a Matoran form?
A) Yes, we know GBs have physical bodies, because one was chained up in one of the serials. They cannot exist without them, but they do have the tech to essentially transfer brain patterns, which is how the red star works. A new body gets made and the brain patterns get transferred out of the old, dead body into the new one.

If you have no body, there is nothing to contain your mental patterns and so no way to transfer them to a new body.

Megaboatloads importance. The last quote IMO explains a lot.

Page 182 Reply 2:
Q) Speaking of Toa of Psionics, what happened to Varian after the battle on Bara Magna? Is she still in stasis? No one tried to rescue her, or something?
A) Yes, so far as I know. The people most likely to want to mount a rescue wouldn't know she was there. But one assumes that status has to change as the robot is deconstructed.

So they are going to take it apart. Previous answers have indicated that they would "use it to build shelters", but I wonder how fancy those shelters will be...

Page 227 Reply 4:

The Toa Hagah are searching Spherus Magna for the Toa Mahri.

Couldn't Kopaka, who saw them last, just tell them to go to the fortress the size of Metru Nui? Hard to miss. :P

Page 255 Reply 6:

Q) Apparently, in Web of Shadows, Sidorak refers to a Keelerak as "Kollarak"…do you happen to know if the term Kollarak referring to that specific Keelerak is indeed still canon?
A) Yes, it is.

:lol: Visorak have names?

Thanks again, Jag. :)

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 2

Page 45 Reply 4:

A) No.

As I pointed out in a previous topic, this contradicts an actual story protrayal. I'm starting to feel that Greg does not have fishers' memory nor the time/dedication to look things up when unsure of stuff. :P

Still, it's possible that time has erased Dekar's memories and allowed the new consciousnesses to become more firmly entrenched. The part about feeling grief is definitely true.

Could you clarify / link to what you mean here? What I recall from reviewing this for writing my retelling version is that the transition was somewhat gradual but he clearly later on completely forgot it (consciously; another answer of Greg's makes it clear he isn't denying that it's there subconsciously), because Makuta was able to scan his mind and figure it out. He said something like that Hydraxon didn't even remember it.

Also, did you mean Greg's statement here about grief is true, or that there was grief is true? I would just check but don't have the book handy at moment. (And posting anyways to reply to some other stuff you brought up.)

Wonder how this works? Mata Nui controls the mask, but should he want to do anything with it, would it be like MN Mind --> Ig Mind --> Action?

Accordingly, could Mata Nui access the mind of the Ignika, obtain memories/knowledge etc? Ig is probably not one too happy about all this, having all of its memories, and knowledge, etc sorted though. That is, if it is even aware of it.

This seems to imply that the mental connection is one-way, unless MN wants Ig to know something. That's valuable information.

I don't see why Ignika would be upset about Mata Nui doing whatever is needed to stop Makuta etc. since Ignika had decided to be a hero himself, etc. Keep in mind it was just a "smart object" for most of its existence, and not accustomed to thinking of things the way we would.

I would say Ignika is definitely aware of what's going on around it and what the other mind inhabiting it is doing; it's a Legendary Mask of Life, after all. Mata Nui would probably also want the mask to be able to give input if it thought of something useful on its own. Mata Nui is in charge, but it is surely a cooperation as they both want the same goals and presumably understand what's necessary to achieve them.

Page 64 Reply 5:

Q) An Av-Matoran becomes a Bohrok when it dies, why isn’t it just sent to the Red Star?

A) Because that is not the way the system is set up.

Are any Av-Matoran on the RS? Bohrok on the Red Star...interesting...

If any Av-Matoran died by any means other than natural "aging", they most likely would be.

I guess you're suggesting that they then might turn into Bohrok and fail to be sent to the hives because the RS's teleporter isn't working? That would depend on if the normal method of being sent there relies on a teleportation system of the giant robot itself. This seems unlikely to me; we don't see any other in-story evidence of a transit system that people can just tap into and appear anywhere they want, after all. I think it's a temporary Botar-style teleportation that is part of the transformation, so just as Botar can apparently teleport off the RS if he wasn't so disoriented, new Bohrok probably would automatically appear in the hive. That teleportation even apparently worked like the mysterious method Artakha has that can send through even Karda Nui's shields; not even Botar can do that. I doubt being on the RS would make much difference.

Page 99 Reply 6

Q) Do you think that it would be possible at all for the new Hydraxon to ever unlock his memories of being Dekar?

A) Possibly, yes

Weird. This just contradicts the earlier answer... :shrugs:

No it doesn't. Hydekaraxon doesn't remember being Dekar, but it's normal in English to use that to refer only to conscious memory. You might say "I can't remember the name of that guy", and then somebody says it, and you might then say "Oh yeah, I remember that now." That means that subconsciously the memory is still there -- the data is stored in the brain somewhere, it's just not accessible to the consciousness. A memory block, rather than a memory erasure. BS01 already has this on their page:

[History section snippet:] The Ignika, in need of a guardian, used its powers to save the Matoran's life, transforming him into a replica of Hydraxon. With Dekar's mind and memories completely buried under Hydraxon's, the newly reborn Hydraxon continued his journey.

[Traits section snippet:] The Ignika gave Dekar the original Hydraxon's memories, and in turn repressed the memories of his time as a Matoran. While the section of Dekar-Hydraxon's mind that holds all memories as an Order of Mata Nui member is shielded, the section of his mind that holds his memories as a Matoran is not, and is accessible to mind-readers. Despite faint recollections of his time as a Matoran, Dekar-Hydraxon is oblivious to his origins; even when presented with evidence of his true past, he refuses to acknowledge its legitimacy, still devoting himself to the job assigned.

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Dekar-Hydraxon#Abilities_and_Traits

None of this contradicts the ability to "unlock" those memories at some point in the future. :) With our brains, this can happen by neural connections from where data is stored to the neurons that run our "consciousness" being broken or dissolving from disuse. The data can still be stored, and is likely connected to the subconscious parts of the brain and continually affecting everything we do, but not in ways we could consciously understand (so the data can be preserved by continual use in that other way, etc.). Then something new can happen to reconnect the data to the conscious mind. Presumably MU beings have a protodermic equivalent of that, possible even harder to normally lose the data over time.

Food for thoughts to strengthen neural connections. :P

• Upvote 3

I'm glad to see that you guys are getting a lot out of the file. Just a quick heads up to anyone interested in finding the pages to those quotes in the LMB topic; just Google search, "Chat with Greg Farshtey Page [number]" and the first result should be the desired page. It should be noted that I've never gotten this trick to work when looking for a page below 100.

The only other thing I'd like to mention is that even though Greg said yes to the Toa Mahri being rescued (fishers posted the quote) on two separate occasions when asked the same question he used his go to answer, "the story is frozen and nothing has happened to them."

Page 45 Reply 4:

A) No.

Could you clarify / link to what you mean here? What I recall from reviewing this for writing my retelling version is that the transition was somewhat gradual but he clearly later on completely forgot it (consciously; another answer of Greg's makes it clear he isn't denying that it's there subconsciously), because Makuta was able to scan his mind and figure it out. He said something like that Hydraxon didn't even remember it.

Also, did you mean Greg's statement here about grief is true, or that there was grief is true? I would just check but don't have the book handy at moment. (And posting anyways to reply to some other stuff you brought up.)

I'll just quote it.

It would appear that the transformation might have left a few gaps:

The part of him that was the jailer of the Pit knew this mask must be important if the Barraki wanted it, and that it should be kept safe and away from them. But a smaller part of him, the remnants of Dekar's consciousness, remembered this mask as something dangerous and destructive. In the wrong hands, the Mask of Life was a potentially devastating weapon.

There's also a scene where Makuta recognizes these memories, enough to taunt Hydraxon with them. I thought there was a scene where the memories came back for a second and D-Hydraxon doubted himself, but I can't find it ATM.

I think if the Dekar-Hydraxon was brought back, he would be brought back as he is - body same, same mixed memories. That's Occam's Razor. Also beings that become Toa or Turaga don't come back as Matoran, so I think that would apply for all transformations in general, which would include this one.

As for the second question, the former.

I don't see why Ignika would be upset about Mata Nui doing whatever is needed to stop Makuta etc. since Ignika had decided to be a hero himself, etc. Keep in mind it was just a "smart object" for most of its existence, and not accustomed to thinking of things the way we would.

I would say Ignika is definitely aware of what's going on around it and what the other mind inhabiting it is doing; it's a Legendary Mask of Life, after all. Mata Nui would probably also want the mask to be able to give input if it thought of something useful on its own. Mata Nui is in charge, but it is surely a cooperation as they both want the same goals and presumably understand what's necessary to achieve them.

This IMO makes sense, considering this from Journey's End:

Mata Nui looked toward the sky and stretched out his arms. He summoned the energies that coursed through his body, even as he called out to the Mask of Life. The mask at first resisted – it, too, knew that it might well not survive this, and it did not want to cease to exist. Mata Nui

could have forced it to aid him – he had a stronger will – but he did not. Instead, he simply pictured in his mind how Spherus Magna could be if this was successful. He knew the mask would sense what was in his thoughts and that it would know this would be the ultimate use of its power.

My dispute isn't with you, it's with the "paint" metaphor, which implies one directional sight. I only see the top coating of paint, not what's underneath.

I'm probably over thinking this...

If any Av-Matoran died by any means other than natural "aging", they most likely would be.

I guess you're suggesting that they then might turn into Bohrok and fail to be sent to the hives because the RS's teleporter isn't working? That would depend on if the normal method of being sent there relies on a teleportation system of the giant robot itself. This seems unlikely to me; we don't see any other in-story evidence of a transit system that people can just tap into and appear anywhere they want, after all. I think it's a temporary Botar-style teleportation that is part of the transformation, so just as Botar can apparently teleport off the RS if he wasn't so disoriented, new Bohrok probably would automatically appear in the hive. That teleportation even apparently worked like the mysterious method Artakha has that can send through even Karda Nui's shields; not even Botar can do that. I doubt being on the RS would make much difference.

The answer to your question is yes. You are probably on to something here, although at the moment I don't see why the teleportation system wouldn't be part of the robot/exclusive to Bohrok. :shrugs: Given that surface inhabitants didn't even know that the Av-Matoran existed for so long, it's possible that they wouldn't even know about this system, should it exist. Although in 100,000 years, you would think that someone would have found a hack.

Kapura. :P

No it doesn't. Hydekaraxon doesn't remember being Dekar, but it's normal in English to use that to refer only to conscious memory.

The quote, word for word (see the top of this post) was "have any memories". I take this to mean the memories' literal existance, which is contradicted by both story portrayal and this question. If the memories do not exist, they cannot be unlocked. It's like asking me to remember a trip to Disneyland. I have never been to Disneyland, so the memory doesn't exist.

Now, if it were "have any recollections" or something that would refer to the memories, then I could actually buy it, and that would make sense with the long text wall you just posted. (I do, despite the long memory of myself, agree with the wall of text on principle, but IMO it doesn't apply.)

The quote, word for word (see the top of this post) was "have any memories". I take this to mean the memories' literal existance, which is contradicted by both story portrayal and this question.

It doesn't really matter -- those can all be used as synonyms in English. Ask an amnesiac about his past and he might say "I don't have any memories." Seeing a contradiction here requires selecting one of a range of definitions of that phrase that is not in line with the other answers he's given or in line with the story, when there's no need to select that one and the one that means "blocked memory" is also in the range. It makes much more sense to select the one that is in line with the rest of the info we have. :) Notice the questioner's wording too:

Does Hydraxon have any memories of being Dekar

Hydraxon is the conscious side of this being right now. He doesn't have those memories. The Dekar side is not accessible. (With some exceptions that don't really require him to remember how he has those memories, like knowing of the danger of the Ignika.) The questioner didn't ask if the entire brain of the character has the memories even in a blocked state. Greg clearly just assumed he meant "does Hydraxon consciously remember being Dekar?" :)

You're right about Kapura; how could I forget him lol? It also occurred to me we can't rule out that Artakha himself had tapped into such a transit system and that might be how he sent the Toa Nuva into Karda Nui. :shrugs: Let's call that one inconclusive.

• Upvote 1

A reversal of opinion on the pocket dimensions:

1.What purpose did the city of silver and field of shadows pocket dimensions serve ? Why did the Great Beings create them in the first place ?

2.If mask of life destroyed all of life in MU, would it affect these two pocket dimensions as well ?

3.What happened to them after MU was destroyed ?

1) There is no reason to believe the GBs did create them.

2) No, because they are not in the MU, they are pocket dimensions. They exist on their own.

3) Nothing, they still exist. The MU was a robot; these are realities of their own, they are not going to end because a robot got destroyed.

• Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

An interesting clarification regarding eating in the MU (emphasis mine):

Hey Greg,
1. How did the Matoran eat conventionally in Mata Nui if they didn't have internal organs that processed the food?
2. Since Matoran can drain energy by touching, doesn't that mean they can steal energy from other Matoran?
3. Do Matoran ever age, or do they stay young like children for how many thousands of years until (more of an if) they become Toa?

1) They wouldn't need organs to process the food even if they did eat conventionally, as many Rahi do. In most cases, the Matoran simply touched the fruit or fish and drained energy from them. If they tried to eat it with their mouths, the physical contact would still drain the energy that they need to live and any food remnants would have been destroyed by the energies inside their body, so no waste, etc.
2) No. They are designed to not be able to do that. Nor have we ever seen one drain energy from a Rahi. The fish they ate on Mata Nui were Aqua Magna fish, not MU fish.

3) Depends on what you mean by age. If you mean does time affect them, yes, they have natural lifespans and can die of old age. They can also gain in knowledge, experience and maturity as time goes on. Look at how Takua went from avoiding the responsibility of being a Toa to choosing to take it on -- that is a sign of maturity.
I never particularly saw the Matoran as being like children. I saw them as villagers. They don't have super powers and they rely on the Toa for that, the same as the citizens of Metropolis rely on Superman.

Source

• Upvote 2