Official Greg Compendium

Nor have we ever seen one drain energy from a Rahi. The fish they ate on Mata Nui were Aqua Magna fish, not MU fish.

Greg may be forgetting the Ruki:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080315175952/bionicle/images/a/a7/Matoran_traders_in_onu_koro.png

Of course, they didn't actually show them draining the energy, so this might still work if they used the Ruki for something else. (Feeding Ussal? Etc.?)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...

1) Is it true that Makuta can make Matoran, but simply did not wish to?

2) How would you describe Lariska's personality?
1) I am sure he would have been aware of how it was done, but it was not the job of the Makuta to do this. They were tasked with making Rahi.
2) It's been ages since I wrote Lariska. You might be better off just reading what exists already.
Page 288 Post 8:
I'm quite surprised as to the speed of which I got an answer; I asked these yesterday afternoon and saw Greg answers this morning. Kind of shame about Lariska, but hey at least it gives me another reason to reread the serials.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

I got a nice answer from Greg today, perhaps it wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but interesting nevertheless. He says he feels retcon is a cheat, i don't know if has mentioned that before. He also suggests that if Bionicle was rebooted that the new series should be nowhere near where it ended, much like most people's predictions, also he is quite certain on Mata Nui landing face down.

dragonzrmetal wrote:

Hi Greg

It's great to be able to speak with you, Bionicle was something very special to have lasted all this time, I understand you also are working on newer projects, but I'm afraid I'm here because of your work on Bionicle.

Like a lot of people, I am holding my breath on a continuation or sequel of Bionicle at some point in the future, but the major problem seems to be how the end was handled, aswell as making it difficult to continue the story with Makuta Teridax dead, the destruction of Mata Nui was heart breaking for us who grew up on the Mata Nui storyline.

If you were to be working on a Bionicle reboot or continuation, would you consider changing/ uncanonizing the final fights with the great spirit robot and where the Matoran Universe fell face down, to allow you to continue working with Teridax, and to preserve Mata Nui from destruction? Since Mata Nui was where Bionicle started of course, could it be a viable platform on which to base a reboot?

Page 288:

I would say a qualified no. If we were going to pick up BIONICLE from where we left off, or somewhere near where we left off, I would not retcon out the way the story ended. I feel that's a cheat to do. At the same time, if we were bringing BIONICLE back, I would NOT recommend picking up from where we left off or from near where we left off, because it would put too much of a burden on new fans to catch up on story. (Think about it - an 8 year old today was 4 when BIONICLE ended, and likely has no idea what it is or anything about it.)

• Upvote 2

That quote does not seem to speak to how "Mata Nui" landed -- but it's unclear who you mean there. The prototype robot that Mata Nui was actually controlling did fall face down, but was also disintegrating at the time; nothing is now left of it. The main Great Spirit Robot, controlled by Makuta, fell on its side according to the comic image. This came up in a recent topic on here somewhere. If you meant to be asking him if a scenario like what I imagined in one of my fanfics where the people of reformed Spherus Magna recreate the island of Mata Nui, your question was a bit too unclear for him to catch that. :P (It's been suggested before that the parts of the camouflage system could be taken out of the face, since the robot is being dismantled now, and taken to the Great Sea. Or, the robot could be flipped onto its back and the island made on a plateau above it. There's definitely no need to go to the extreme of undoing the awesome giant robot battle just to get the camo island back, if the inhabitants want to re-create it.)

Also, please note that Greg has retconned many things; he's saying it would be wrong (and he's right) to retcon such a major part of plot -- especially the grand finale! And please know that the destruction of Mata Nui (if you mean the island?) was not "heartbreaking" to the vast majority of people but rather a thrilling twist most people seemed to love. :) Besides, it had been built up to since 2002; it wasn't even that surprising, just what was coming out from under it was the thrill. (Nor was the destruction of the back of the head of the robot heartbreaking if that's what you meant, though if that's how you took it, it is what it is, but that's definitely not how you were supposed to approach the story.)

• Upvote 5

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

That quote does not seem to speak to how "Mata Nui" landed -- but it's unclear who you mean there. The prototype robot that Mata Nui was actually controlling did fall face down, but was also disintegrating at the time; nothing is now left of it. The main Great Spirit Robot, controlled by Makuta, fell on its side according to the comic image. This came up in a recent topic on here somewhere. If you meant to be asking him if a scenario like what I imagined in one of my fanfics where the people of reformed Spherus Magna recreate the island of Mata Nui, your question was a bit too unclear for him to catch that. :P (It's been suggested before that the parts of the camouflage system could be taken out of the face, since the robot is being dismantled now, and taken to the Great Sea. Or, the robot could be flipped onto its back and the island made on a plateau above it. There's definitely no need to go to the extreme of undoing the awesome giant robot battle just to get the camo island back, if the inhabitants want to re-create it.)

Also, please note that Greg has retconned many things; he's saying it would be wrong (and he's right) to retcon such a major part of plot -- especially the grand finale! And please know that the destruction of Mata Nui (if you mean the island?) was not "heartbreaking" to the vast majority of people but rather a thrilling twist most people seemed to love. :) Besides, it had been built up to since 2002; it wasn't even that surprising, just what was coming out from under it was the thrill. (Nor was the destruction of the back of the head of the robot heartbreaking if that's what you meant, though if that's how you took it, it is what it is, but that's definitely not how you were supposed to approach the story.)

It looks like I might have been unclear like you say, seeing as Mata Nui essentially swapped bodies, but yes, I was talking about the Great Spirit Robot containing Mata Nui in it's face. I'm not sure I saw the destruction of Mata Nui as a thrilling twist, nor the actual robot fight as awesome in comparision to the rest of the Bionicle epic, but we all love Bionicle as a whole and that is why we are here, regardless of what parts we don't like.

My misconception was that I thought Mata Nui had been destroyed when Mata Nui in the prototype robot fought Makuta in the Great Spirit Robot, and that Mata Nui was destroyed when the MU fell face down (sideways tilting down), I thought that Mata Nui was inside the Great Spirit Robot's head.

I didn't know it was formed on Aqua Magna, and only destroyed when Makuta in the MU's body sat up. Oops. Thanks for making me realise that, I feel silly now.

I'd like to read your fanfic you mentioned though, do you have a link please? :P

Off-topic: I do, in the Tapestry of Time link in my sig [Edit: I suppose it would help to say the title, huh? It's The Islander], but unfortunately it's currently suffering from the format glitch that squished all the paragraphs together and I haven't yet had time to fix that. So, if you don't mind reading it without the proper linebreaks. :P

On-topic: It may be that you were confusing Mata Nui Island for Metru Nui? Which is contained in the head of the GSR. For the record, Metru Nui wasn't destroyed by the battle either. Anyways, glad I could help clear that up. :) Just so you know, the camouflage island that in its final incarnation (so far) was named after Mata Nui was destroyed countless times before too; it was recreated every time Mata Nui (in GSR) landed on an alien planet to study it. So, its being destroyed and potentially reformed was always part of its nature. Hence the Bohrok, etc.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

A couple interesting answers I spotted while looking for something else: you may need to make an edit to the Red Star Guide.

Would the red star bring back the makuta species too?

It has been proven by the Iden's powers that MU inhabitants have a soul... so when you say "programming", does that mean that the Great Beings can create souls?

4) No. The red star only works with protodermis, not antidermis. That is why when Makuta die, other Makuta have to take over their territory.

5) Actually, no, that hasn't been proven. The Matoran named the Iden the Iden, because they don't realize their true nature. What to them is a "spirit" to us would simply be their AI.

I guess the followup question to that would be whether he meant solid of gaseous antidermis. Because if he meant antidermis in general... is it an entirely different substance from protodermis? I always thought it was protodermis based.

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

Yes, it's a different substance, hence the name. But it's similar to protodermis.

• Upvote 1

Someone should ask Greg what the deal was with that weird Fire Entity in Web of the Visorak. All of the other elemental beings we've seen have had an explanation for their existence. I'd ask him myself, but I've long since forgotten my LMB account info.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Someone should ask Greg what the deal was with that weird Fire Entity in Web of the Visorak. All of the other elemental beings we've seen have had an explanation for their existence. I'd ask him myself, but I've long since forgotten my LMB account info.

15)the fire entity vakama fights,was it made by makuta or something else?

ANSWER: It was a Rahi.

Just a quick question: What are the Elemental beings? (the acid cloud, the Fire Entity, etc.) Thanks in advance.

They are living beings composed almost entirely of a particular element. Since we know they were not created by Artakha, that basically leaves the Brotherhood or the Great Beings, and I tend to lean toward the GBs in this case.

Hi Greg. I was thinking about the Element Lords being made of their element, and it got me thinking: do the Element Lords have any connection to the fire entity, and possibly the Vatuka?

No

7. Did the Energized Protodermis Entity escape the MU?

8 How about the Fire Entity and Sonic Entity from 2004?

7) Unknown at present

8) If I recall correctly, the fire entity was frozen

I think this means that he's in the same spot he was or is dead. Someone should update BS01.

Does that answer your question (s)?

• Upvote 3

Okay, so essentially, all the info we have on it is highly inconsistent. It would make sense for it to be a Rahi -- after all, it was in Makuta's lair -- but then other quotes say it's an elemental being made by the GBs. It would make sense for it to still be frozen, but the book itself says that it was gone when Vakama woke up. So all we know is that we know nothing. :P

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Okay, so essentially, all the info we have on it is highly inconsistent. It would make sense for it to be a Rahi -- after all, it was in Makuta's lair -- but then other quotes say it's an elemental being made by the GBs. It would make sense for it to still be frozen, but the book itself says that it was gone when Vakama woke up. So all we know is that we know nothing. :P

The GBs made Rahi (think Mavrah's collection) - so they made a fire elemental Rahi. That makes sense.

And if Vakama killed the Fire Entity, then it would be gone when Vakama woke up. But that isn't confirmed.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

The GBs made Rahi (think Mavrah's collection) - so they made a fire elemental Rahi. That makes sense.

And if Vakama killed the Fire Entity, then it would be gone when Vakama woke up. But that isn't confirmed.

But the BoM made rahi.

bBhcfWO.png

But the BoM made rahi.

Yes, but the GBs also made Rahi. :P

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Double-posting to give this thread a bump in the rankings.

Confirmation that the Red Star definitely does not revive beings killed on Spherus Magna: https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/9537965/highlight/true#M225166.

Can the Red Star revive beings from the MU who are on Spherus Magna?

4) No. It only works with beings inside the MU.

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

I thought that it was already confirmed that The Red Star didn't revive MU beings that died on Spherus Magna?

The entirety of S&T was pretty confident about that, but Greg hadn't directly confirmed it. Actually, I remember an answer just a month or two ago that said "I haven't decided that yet". This one's the first actual confirmation of information that we'd already figured out. :P

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

We did already know it from the quotes you had posted, Jag:

Q) Was Karzahni also revived by the star ?

A) No. Karzahni died on Spherus Magna. The red star is calibrated to transport beings up from the interior of the Mata Nui robot and return them there (when the system is fully operational), not from other worlds. If you die outside the robot, you're just dead.
But always nice to see this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment answer to get forgotten later as Greg sometimes does. :P
The main unanswered question is if beings on Mata Nui Island, Voya Nui, or Mahri Nui could have been revived. I can see a case either way -- Greg called it a scanning system, and if it's like a flashlight scanner beam aimed at the giant, beings between them could be revived too. Or it might be programmed not to revive anybody outside the skin of the robot (note Hydraxon's revival confirmation shows that even the old Pit was scanned though).

Greg recently confirmed that the Red Star does not revive beings who died in the outer Pit or in Mahri Nui.

Off the top of my head, this means Reysa was not revived and is permanently dead. Poor Reysa. :(

EDIT: Or the island of Mata Nui. That party of Ta-Matoran "taken" in the MNOG, along with any casualties of the Great War, are also permanently dead. Not sure what that would have meant for Jaller; does Mangaia count as inside the MU?

Edited by Angel Bob
-- Harlan Ellison

EDIT: Or the island of Mata Nui. That party of Ta-Matoran "taken" in the MNOG, along with any casualties of the Great War, are also permanently dead. Not sure what that would have meant for Jaller; does Mangaia count as inside the MU?

Jaller was on Mata Nui when he died, so Mangaia counting/not counting wouldn't be relevant to that.

However, it could be relevant to the pile of Rahi corpses the Toa Metru found in Maze of Shadows.

(Also, not sure that "Poor Reysa" applies so much. Given the conditions on the RS, maybe just as well she didn't have to go through that. :shrugs:)

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

EDIT: Or the island of Mata Nui. That party of Ta-Matoran "taken" in the MNOG, along with any casualties of the Great War, are also permanently dead.

Common misconception; Greg confirmed nobody died on the island, and the game strongly implied they were thawed like Kopeke once Takua freed Kopeke, and that was why the Ta-Matoran were able to meet up with Takua later; their numbers had been replenished.

Anyways, good to get an answer to that.

• Upvote 3

Oh, that makes sense. I've never played MNOG, so I just went off of the walkthrough dialogue.

I guess, in that case, BS01's Ta-Koro Guard page had better be corrected; it says the North Guard was outright killed. I'll fix that.

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

I hope nobody minds all these double posts, it's the only way I can really alert anyone to a new bit of info.

This answer is in response to a question about the First Toa Team, whether or not they were revived and sent back before the Red Star broke, and while it doesn't confirm anything outright, it's food for thought. Essentially, Greg says they may have been sent back, but far from the site of their death, and from then on impeded from finding Lesovikk.

Personally, I'd rather go with the theory that they were all destroyed by the Zyglak's corrosive touch, and thus permanently slain. But hey, whatever.

Greg also confirms on that page that anyone dying on Voya Nui wouldn't have been revived. Would someone with a LMB account mind asking if Jovan died outside the Red Star's range?

• Upvote 4
-- Harlan Ellison

Yeah, AB, I'm fine with double-posting here to add updates. I've just added a note about that in the firstpost.

Only the disintegration staffs, so far as I know, were candidates for why they wouldn't have been revived; the disease or other means of killing would still leave a body. But disintegration is likely, since they were apparently killed quickly during a moment's hesitation on Lesovikk's part (though I suspect not all were killed by that means -- but the disease is unlikely to have been the cause of death).

• Upvote 1

Fascinating... Greg might not realize it there but this creates more problems than it solves. If there's a time delay (and it seems there has to be -- Lhikan's body didn't just disappear, for example), considering VN was moving fast, wouldn't Jovan's dead body be outside the MU by the time the delay was up?

Although one theory based on one of his previous answers would solve this -- it was proposed that at the moment of death some component in them does something necessary to be detected. Let's say for sake of argument it's the heart (and that it could stop instantly) -- maybe the scanner instantly creates a "signal lock" on the body at the moment of death, and then the body can move outside of the normal scanning zone, and still be teleported up when the time runs out?

Edit: Actually there was also the theory that the time delay is merely a matter of capacity limits in the teleporter; if multiple people are dying at the same time. Maybe Jovan was first to die in the GC??

Or maybe his body was actually flung off of Voya Nui and didn't come with the rest of the island out of the giant?

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

Maybe I'm a horrible person, but my mental image of a feeble old Turaga of Magnetism being bodily flung from a flying island is really amusing. Plus it'd be a crazy ironic way for him to die, given he wore the Mask of Flight. XD

• Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

Maybe I'm a horrible person, but my mental image of a feeble old Turaga of Magnetism being bodily flung from a flying island is really amusing. Plus it'd be a crazy ironic way for him to die, given he wore the Mask of Flight. XD

I think it'd be hilarious too. Just imagine: "Aiieeeee!"

bonseiii - there's no point trying to make sense of it. It's as random as spirit stars. This is simply the peril of making the story up as you go along.

• Upvote 1

Maybe he wound on the Red Star because of his Kanohi. I imagine the scenario could something like this: *Ground starts shaking* Jovan, oh dear, something's wrong! I'll go see if it's Mount Valamai again. *Flys off towards the volcano.* "Oh my Ussal crab! The volcano's moving! No, the whole island! I've got to-" *Get's incinerated by a spout of lava, falls to the moving island, hits the tip, and bounces into the silver sea.*

No Angel Bob, you're not a horrible person, there is something amusing about this. It probably helps because he's not human, even if he's very humanoid.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I think it'd be hilarious too. Just imagine: "Aiieeeee!"

bonseiii - there's no point trying to make sense of it. It's as random as spirit stars. This is simply the peril of making the story up as you go along.

Au contraire -- trying to make sense of entertainment can provide mental practice (and be fun!) that sharpens the mind for thought puzzles in real life. :) It can also open up story potential (fanfics, etc.), help enjoy the canon more by understanding its plausibility, and any number of other points.

Maybe he wound on the Red Star because of his Kanohi. I imagine the scenario could something like this: *Ground starts shaking* Jovan, oh dear, something's wrong! I'll go see if it's Mount Valamai again. *Flys off towards the volcano.* "Oh my Ussal crab! The volcano's moving! No, the whole island! I've got to-" *Get's incinerated by a spout of lava, falls to the moving island, hits the tip, and bounces into the silver sea.*

You know what? That's actually plausible. *wonders why he never thought of it*

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

Or he got hit by the inside of the robot as the island hit it, or a piece of the impact debris, knocking him off the island. :shrugs:

The problem with the the Kadin theory is that I'm not sure it can do all that. It's a Noble Kadin, and...yeah. Also I'm presuming Jovan is sensible. If there's an earthquake going on, on Voya Nui that would normally proceed a volcanic eruption, right? Would he go towards the volcano? I don't think so. Would he fly, seeing as that makes you more likely to get hit by volcanic debris and pegged out of the sky to certain death?

Now he might have tried to use his Kadin to get away from the volcano, but that doesn't sound like Jovan exactly. He would have probably have tried to get everyone away, if that was his objective...which would have put them all near the edges of the island, and more likely to get thrown off/smacked by falling stuff. (It may be the "stubborn in the face of volcano" people who survived the Voya Nui updraft, ironically, but that's another topic.)

Falling off the island makes sense, but I don't think the Kadin is to blame.

Or he got hit by the inside of the robot as the island hit it, or a piece of the impact debris, knocking him off the island. :shrugs:

The problem with the the Kadin theory is that I'm not sure it can do all that. It's a Noble Kadin, and...yeah. Also I'm presuming Jovan is sensible. If there's an earthquake going on, on Voya Nui that would normally proceed a volcanic eruption, right? Would he go towards the volcano? I don't think so. Would he fly, seeing as that makes you more likely to get hit by volcanic debris and pegged out of the sky to certain death?

Now he might have tried to use his Kadin to get away from the volcano, but that doesn't sound like Jovan exactly. He would have probably have tried to get everyone away, if that was his objective...which would have put them all near the edges of the island, and more likely to get thrown off/smacked by falling stuff. (It may be the "stubborn in the face of volcano" people who survived the Voya Nui updraft, ironically, but that's another topic.)

Falling off the island makes sense, but I don't think the Kadin is to blame.

According to BS01 "The Noble version [of the Kadin] also allows the user to fly, but not as fast or as long as the Great version."

So if he was near enough the volcano, he could reach a point where it was visible. And to clarify what I was saying, my hypothesis was that he flew to a point where he could safely view it, only for it to move rapidly towards him. Additionally, in my hypothetical scenario, he is investigating the possibility of an abnormally severe eruption, not a normal one that would only threaten those in the vicinity of the volcano.

I think we could make much more educated guesses if only we knew more about Voya Nui's separation from the MU. I seem to recall a topic concerned with exactly how any living thing survived the trip, and another one concerning how the island left the robot. However, I don't recall any definite conclusions being made.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

While we're on the subject of the Red Star -- since the Black Waters are outside the MU, this would mean Nocturn is also permanently dead, right? His BS01 page should be updated in that case.

-- Harlan Ellison

While we're on the subject of the Red Star -- since the Black Waters are outside the MU, this would mean Nocturn is also permanently dead, right? His BS01 page should be updated in that case.

Was it ever confirmed that he was killed outside The Pit? If I remember correctly, "Makuta's Guide to the Universe" simply states that Nocturn was killed in an escape attempt; that doesn't necessarily mean he was killed outside the MU, but might have been killed, while still inside The Pit and thus be on the Red Star right now.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

You know, dead people not being revived on Voya Nui makes even less sense when you consider the Ignika.

Let me explain, back in the day it was revealed that the Ignika could only perform its countdown while inside the MU. Somebody asked Greg why its countdown still activated during the 06/07 story and Greg responded that it still worked because Voya Nui was still part of the MU even if it was outside it, and it worked in the ocean because everybody was literally on top of the robot at that point. So shouldn't the same rules apply to the Red Star?

• Upvote 3