Official Greg Compendium

I hope nobody minds all these double posts, it's the only way I can really alert anyone to a new bit of info.

This answer is in response to a question about the First Toa Team, whether or not they were revived and sent back before the Red Star broke, and while it doesn't confirm anything outright, it's food for thought. Essentially, Greg says they may have been sent back, but far from the site of their death, and from then on impeded from finding Lesovikk.

Personally, I'd rather go with the theory that they were all destroyed by the Zyglak's corrosive touch, and thus permanently slain. But hey, whatever.

Greg also confirms on that page that anyone dying on Voya Nui wouldn't have been revived. Would someone with a LMB account mind asking if Jovan died outside the Red Star's range?

I can do it.

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

At long last, a confirmation of Takanuva's destiny, as intended by Greg (!!).

Additionally, in the following two posts, Greg confirms that Nocturn was killed inside the Matoran Universe, and is thus on the Red Star.

Edited by Angel Bob
  • Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

You know, dead people not being revived on Voya Nui makes even less sense when you consider the Ignika.

Let me explain, back in the day it was revealed that the Ignika could only perform its countdown while inside the MU. Somebody asked Greg why its countdown still activated during the 06/07 story and Greg responded that it still worked because Voya Nui was still part of the MU even if it was outside it, and it worked in the ocean because everybody was literally on top of the robot at that point. So shouldn't the same rules apply to the Red Star?

And let's not forget the Toa-izing beam fail-safe, which was, if I recall correctly, supposed to protect Matoran outside the robot, since they weren't supposed to be there. It seems odd to me that the Red Star could turn Jaller and company into Toa on Voya Nui, but can't revive anyone there.

Back on the subject of Jovan: It occurs to me that if his corpse left Voya Nui, it seems likely it would have wound up in Karda Nui. Now, given the magnitude of the Great Cataclysm, I imagine that the Red Star was probably quite busy teleporting bodies up. And if Jovan's was in the center of the MU, it might take a while to get him. Now, given that Karda Nui was flooded with mutagenic waters, and if his body was indeed in Karda Nui, it seems to me that the mutagenic waters, if they do mutate cadavers (or bits of cadavers, given the fall to the bottom of Karda Nui) might actually get to his body and result in the revived Jovan being somewhat mutated.

Just a thought. I have no idea of whether life is a requirement for mutagen to work. Come to think of it, the dead alternate Tuyet may poke a rather large hole in my idea

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat
  • Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

You know, dead people not being revived on Voya Nui makes even less sense when you consider the Ignika.

Let me explain, back in the day it was revealed that the Ignika could only perform its countdown while inside the MU. Somebody asked Greg why its countdown still activated during the 06/07 story and Greg responded that it still worked because Voya Nui was still part of the MU even if it was outside it, and it worked in the ocean because everybody was literally on top of the robot at that point. So shouldn't the same rules apply to the Red Star?

Ah, but the Ignika was a living being with an intelligent mind, able to tell that the material all around it was still the artificial protodermis, while the Red Star was simply a machine (and one without great repairers apparently), with a scanner aimed at the inside of the robot. No real connection to the Ignika there.

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Back on the subject of Jovan: It occurs to me that if his corpse left Voya Nui, it seems likely it would have wound up in Karda Nui. Now, given the magnitude of the Great Cataclysm, I imagine that the Red Star was probably quite busy teleporting bodies up. And if Jovan's was in the center of the MU, it might take a while to get him. Now, given that Karda Nui was flooded with mutagenic waters, and if his body was indeed in Karda Nui, it seems to me that the mutagenic waters, if they do mutate cadavers (or bits of cadavers, given the fall to the bottom of Karda Nui) might actually get to his body and result in the revived Jovan being somewhat mutated.

Just a thought. I have no idea of whether life is a requirement for mutagen to work. Come to think of it, the dead alternate Tuyet may poke a rather large hole in my idea

Actually, that brings up another question: does the Pit Mutagen mutate corpses? Given that Alt. Tuyet wasn't mentioned as mutated, I'm inclined to think not. If Tuyet died before she ended up in the mutagen, that is...although it wouldn't matter in terms of story, seeing as she was dead...:shrugs:

Also, keep in mind the rate of the flooding of Karda Nui: it took a thousand years to make a swamp. Jovan could have landed and then been teleported out while the water was still a puddle. Or he could have landed on the Southern Continent. :shrugs:

• Upvote 2

Actually, that brings up another question: does the Pit Mutagen mutate corpses? Given that Alt. Tuyet wasn't mentioned as mutated, I'm inclined to think not. If Tuyet died before she ended up in the mutagen, that is...although it wouldn't matter in terms of story, seeing as she was dead... :shrugs:

Also, keep in mind the rate of the flooding of Karda Nui: it took a thousand years to make a swamp. Jovan could have landed and then been teleported out while the water was still a puddle. Or he could have landed on the Southern Continent. :shrugs:

Silly me, I'd forgotten about the time period. And having looked at "Into the Darkness" again, I see that no-one remarks on her in any way which would suggest that she was mutated. So it's probably safe to say that Jovan's not mutated.

• Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

I'm not certain whether this is new information or not, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Greg has recently given some clarification on the Red Star's functions. For a being to be revived, his AI needs to be downloadable, requiring his brain (Greg says head, but unless MU brains cannot be separated from their heads, I assume that he is referring to the brain) the first time he dies. If he dies again, and a sufficient record exists from his previous revival, he may be revived sine brain, albeit with a gap in memory. Confirmed via pages 309 and 311, fourteenth and eighth posts from the top, respectively.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

I'm not certain whether this is new information or not, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Greg has recently given some clarification on the Red Star's functions. For a being to be revived, his AI needs to be downloadable, requiring his brain (Greg says head, but unless MU brains cannot be separated from their heads, I assume that he is referring to the brain) the first time he dies. If he dies again, and a sufficient record exists from his previous revival, he may be revived sine brain, albeit with a gap in memory. Confirmed via pages 309 and 311, fourteenth and eighth posts from the top, respectively.

So basically headshot means dead for real.

• Upvote 3

bBhcfWO.png

So basically headshot means dead for real.

Unless the killed being has already been killed and revived.

So for a majority of characters, yes.

I wonder, which characters were killed in such a way that their brains were not intact? *Checks BS01*

Let's see: All who have been disintegrated or similarly killed: Possibly Lesovikk's team, Carapar, Ancient, the Matoran slaves who were knocked into Valmai, possibly Guardian (depending on whether or not Teridax crushed him underground.) I'm probably missing quite a few.

• Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

Fascinating. I'd theorized this almost right away, but Greg had seemed to debunk it several times later. Good to see I was right all along.

BTW, folks, please remember to POST the quotes, not just give a link, so there's another copy of the quote in case something goes wrong with the LEGO.com topic. :) I also didn't see the actual quotes at those counts down the page, but I'll take your word for it (short on time...).

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I guess that the "mask imprint" we know of for the Matoran species could circumvent both loss of a head and full disintegration as far as revival goes, with the caveat that you only have a small window of time before it fades, and you need to sacrifice massive amounts of energy from someone/sometihng else in order to make it work.

Edited by Katuko

The Kestora use masks; Sentrakh couldn't have been revived.

1. Do the Kestora wear and use Kanohi masks? If so, do they require Kanohi in order to function, as the Matoran do?
  2. Do the Kestora have any powers of their own?
  3. What does the "undead" state currently enjoyed by Sentrakh entail? If he had been killed in the Matoran Universe, would he have been revived on the Red Star?

1. Wear, yes, use, no

2. No

3. Thing is, if you are undead, you're not dead and you're not alive, which means you can't go to the red star.

Additionally, Rahi Control doesn't seem to work on intelligent Rahi.

Does the Makuta power of Rahi Control work on intelligent Rahi like Keetongu and Krahka?

Not that we have seen, no

Finally, the Great Beings do not have inherent powers. (We already knew this, but I thought it'd be good to have a clear and concise source.)

Do individual Great Beings have tremendous power, or do they simply make powerful things?

To our knowledge, they do not have natural powers

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Additionally, Rahi Control doesn't seem to work on intelligent Rahi.

Does the Makuta power of Rahi Control work on intelligent Rahi like Keetongu and Krahka?

Not that we have seen, no

This begs the question of whether or not Rahi Control is merely a very powerful form of low-level mind control.

gZsNWyr.png

There seems to be a misconception on BZP that the Great Beings gave each Matoran (or other MU being) a destiny.

Destiny is not written by the Great Beings

Important part below:

During creation of a destined matoran, how could the great beings/mata nui ensure/know the series of an events that would ensure they would do what they intended? (the inika as an example again: when matoro was created, how could they insure that he would one day travel to voya nui to use the mask of life?)

3) It's a good question. I don't think you can lay this at the feet of the GBs, since they did not know when they created these beings that they would end up self-aware, Makuta would rebel, etc. Destiny, it would seem, might have to be writ by someone other than them.

This explains how Energized Protodermis could function on Shperus Magna and how one of the Great Beings was cursed by the Ignika. (both of these events rely on Destiny).

It should be noted that in Reign of Shadows, Teridax uses the Great Spirit Robot's consciousness to determine the destiny of the beings who would become the Gold-Skinned Fusion, suggesting that the Great Beings had some understanding of Destiny when they built Mata Nui.

Edited by N.S.M.8
  • Upvote 1

Several interesting things lined up in a few posts here.

Firstly, the technology for making new Matoran probably didn't survive Makuta's Fall.

Is it possible for new Matoran to be created on Spherus Magna?

At the moment, probably not - I wouldn't think the tech to do that survived the robot's collapse.

Second, the Solis Magna system includes other planets with sapient inhabitants.

Are there other planets in the Solis Magna system (the system that Spherus Magna is in) with intelligent, sapient lifeforms?

Yes

As an aside, Mata Nui wasn't capable of faster-than-light travel.

Is the Mata Nui Robot capable of faster-than-light travel with the Red Star on its back?

No

And yes, death by old age would be repaired in the Red Star.

If a Bionicle dies for natural causes (like poison, or agr), can they be revived in the Red Star, or they won't get another chance to live?

Poison wouldn't be a natural cause. But yes, a being whose parts simply wear out could be revived under the old system.

• Upvote 3
-- Harlan Ellison

Also, Gatherer was an Onu-Matoran... and the details on TSO's disappearance are still as murky as ever.

1. In Reign of Shadows, the Shadowed One disappeared, several of his vials were broken, and an unknown cause shattered every Vortixx within a kio radius without leaving any hint of its presence. My first question is: was it a virus that killed all these Vortixx?
  2. My second question: what happened to the Shadowed One? How/why did he disappear?
  3. On an unrelated note: what type of Matoran was Gatherer before he became a Dark Hunter? His connection to subterranean Rahi would indicate he might have been an Onu-Matoran, while his habit of claiming armor as trophies would suggest him being a Fe-Matoran.

1) No

2) I can tell you it was voluntary - he was not abducted

3) I always thought of him as an Onu-Matoran

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

Darn -- I was rooting for FTL. Ah well. Still salvageable due to the huge travel time. Fascinating that there were other inhabited planets in the same system. I wonder if that's what that Mata Nui Saga image with multiple planets was meant to portray?

It would certainly explain why the GBs got the idea to explore space in the first place; they might have used telescopes to observe evidence of life on other planets in their same system. Then the travel to other systems would be more plausible.

• Upvote 2

It's so good to see that Greg is still answering our questions. In addition, as to the question of whether the pit mutagen could mutate cadavers ... well, you could just ask him, right?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I was sort of hoping that new Matoran could be made. Oh well, we haven't met most of them anyway...but that means that all Matoran that can be characters in story probably have a backstory inside the robot, which could be cumbersome in some respects.

Unless someone knows how to make/build the machines from scratch. It was sort of implied Mata Nui or the Turaga knew... :shrugs:

FTL - :shrugs: It would have been nice, but I'm not sure how protodermis powers, etc, would do that. There was only one Mask of Time. (I'm sure bones had a theory :P, but whatever.)

It's so good to see that Greg is still answering our questions. In addition, as to the question of whether the pit mutagen could mutate cadavers ... well, you could just ask him, right?

True, as long you have a LMB account.

I've debated it, but I figure if someone really wants an answer to something/is impatient, they can make a LMB account for themselves and ask. (If you have a Lego ID, you already have one anyway...)

Edited by fishers64

Darn -- I was rooting for FTL. Ah well. Still salvageable due to the huge travel time. Fascinating that there were other inhabited planets in the same system. I wonder if that's what that Mata Nui Saga image with multiple planets was meant to portray?

It would certainly explain why the GBs got the idea to explore space in the first place; they might have used telescopes to observe evidence of life on other planets in their same system. Then the travel to other systems would be more plausible.

And let's not forget Atakus' blades.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

Tahu has quick healing. (!!)

1) So you said that Tahu is in possession of kraata powers other than heat vision, right? Can you give us a rough estimate of how many of the 42 kraata powers Tahu has? (e.g. a couple, about half, most)

2) And also, can you give us one example of a Kraata power that Tahu has aside from heat vision?

3) Are Tahu's elemental powers weakened now that he is in his mata state, or did his absorbtion of the Golden Armor's energies boost them back up?

5) Finally, if it were up to you, would you have had Kopaka, Takanuva or another character wear the Golden Armor?

1) No, not something I have calculated

2) Quick healing

3) Not significantly

4) No, because Tahu was always the most popular and best-selling Toa

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

Hope he uses it... I have yet to see a Makuta use that ability effectively... :P

That's because the Makuta didn't have anything left to heal, what with being gaseous creatures and all.

Also, Vezon would make a poor lawyer. :P

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

Wow, Tahu as a sympathetic doctor guy would really be a change...[/character development]. I doubt he would go that route though - I think he would be more inclined to hide that one and keep it a secret unless he needed to use it, because for him it would be kind of embarrassing considering his past and all that.

A level 6 Quick Healing Kraata can heal others according to BS01, so I'm going with that - healing himself probably wouldn't bother him as much. It's kind of ironic that the Rahkshi poisoned him before lol - now the Rahkshi are making it so he can never be effectively poisoned again. :P

Also lol @ Vezon the lawyer.

• Upvote 1

"I belong to the people... Or the people belong to me. Never can keep that straight."

"My opponents will all be receiving free hugs in the near future."

"Why vote Vezon? I break the monotony."

"Greg liked me before it was cool."

Would these work? :P

Edited by Aho
  • Upvote 5

Well, slogans should be simple and to the point. I think Vezon's campaign would just have "Death to my enemies" or something as the slogan.

I'm actually kind of happy BIONICLE doesn't have faster-than-light travel, by the way. I feel that series with FTL travel has a tendency to mark an entire planet with a single biome and/or racial stereotype, and then you only get to see a small part of it. We can already see the beginnings of this in BIONICLE after the departure from the island of Mata Nui: Islands we spent a year of story on gets fleshed out with specific location names and the likes, while others are just "Destral" and "the mainland" with no real details given. I'd rather have more details revealed about Spherus Magna (which is estimated to be bigger than Earth, and we have an insane amount of things to see already!) than I'd introduce five new planets that just get a sentence or two of fluff text.

Related: Arriving on a new planet in the Mass Effect series is actually more like arriving in a single tiny town, because there is not much you can do that is plot relevant elsewhere. Throughout the series we get to hear all sorts of things about the Turian, Krogan and Asari races, but when you arrive on the Turian homeworld it is represented mostly as a rather barren military camp. On the Asari homeworld you can only explore a few city ruins. The Krogan homeworld is a desert with some small camps as well. If any of them had been the main focus of a game, though, we would likely have seen a desert planet with much, much more attractions on it. Games where you explore a small land feels more "packed" and varied to me, simply because the content is not spread out across a solar system.

And that is why I would like Mata Nui to stick to a single solar system, until we actually explore the places thoroughly. Why worry about a solar system far away from Spherus Magna when we don't even know anything about the species on the neighboring planet, I mean?

Edited by Katuko

Well, slogans should be simple and to the point. I think Vezon's campaign would just have "Death to my enemies" or something as the slogan.

But "simple and to the point" is the very antithesis of Vezon.

• Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

I agree... it should be something toeing the line between rambling and delusional.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Maybe this could be his campaign poster....

Anyway, just thought I'd put this quote here since I'm citing it. Should it become standard that we post quotes in this topic when we cite them and then link here instead of linking directly to the LMBs in case something happens?

Hi again!

1. There's a movement to make a page on BS01 for the group Brutaka headed to free Miserix in Federation of Fear, which made us realize we never got a name for said group. Is the group just called the Federation of Fear, and if not, what is its name? Also, what is the name for the group in The Yesterday Quest (maybe "the Yesterday Questers" :joking:).

2. Seeing as Kraata are made of Antidermis, if one is around for too long does it turn into gas? If so, could it be solidifed again, or would a Makuta need to make a new one?

Thank you!

1) They never gave themselves a name. They had no reason to do so.

2) Evidently not, since the ones that occupy Rahkshi never seem to do that.

(Source) Edited by Infrared
  • Upvote 1

Should it become standard that we post quotes in this topic when we cite them and then link here instead of linking directly to the LMBs in case something happens?

Exactly correct. :)

• Upvote 1

Here's something concerning Velika's name:

Q) That is true, you havent been on BZPower in 2012, not in person. But the member Erebus wrote that he has been communicating with you (outside of BZPower, of course) and he posted that you told him that “The Great Being was already named Velika before inhabiting the Matoran body.”

So if Erebus hasn't been lying, as far as I understand that statement creates a contradiction to the statement in this Chat (“He assumed [the name] as a Matoran.”).
I just want to know, if “Velika” is his real name or a pseudonym.
Greg) I probably did give him that answer, but in retrospect, it doesn't make sense given that it is at least POSSIBLE that some of the earliest creations might have known some or all GB names. So if he wanted to keep his status undercover, it wouldn't have made sense to use his real name, especially since he had no way of knowing that the GB would lose all contact with the MN robot.

Link

• Upvote 2

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

Confirmation of the Protocairns' Rhotuka powers:

The Protocairn combiner model (from 2005) includes a Rhotuka launcher, but BS01 doesn't state that the Protocairns use Rhotuka. Thus, my questions:

1. Do the Protocairns have/carry Rhotuka launchers?
  2. If so, do they all have a set power? Or does it vary between individuals, as in the case of Frostelus and other sapient beings? (For that matter, are the Protocairns still sapient?)

1) Yes

2) Yes, they are sapient. Their Rhotuka has a sort of a "short-circuit" power - it temporarily blocks the signals between the mind and the body in a target, causing an opponent to collapse.

• Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

Some interesting miscellany:

Could a Mask of Mutation be used to change a Matoran's tribe (ex. Ta-Matoran to Ko-Matoran)?

Can Rahkshi of Ice Resistance or Fire Resistance make themselves unbearably hot to the touch or cold and clammy respectively like their kraata can?

If a Toa Kaita gets a new mask from the combination of its component Toa's three masks, what powers does that mask have? I remember you said the Toa Kaita "do[es]n't get access to the powers of the individual mask".

And if a Mask of Weakness were made from a Kanoka of Weakness, how do you think it might be used?

1) No

2) No

3) It would vary depending on which three masks were being mixed together

4) To weaken an opponent, I would assume

1. Then what is the closest thing to a tribe change that the Mask of Mutation could do?

1a. Speaking of which, the mask is capable of "undo[ing] other mutations, but without knowledge of exactly what the original mutation did, it becomes more difficult to reverse it". Could that ever include undoing a Hordika Venom-induced mutation?

3. If the three masks being fused together are a Mohtrek, a Matatu, and a Faxon, what powers does the resulting Kaita Kanohi have?

1) The mask can do a lot of things, but I don't believe it can change your fundamental element, which is what you would need for a tribe change.

1a) I would have to say yes.

2) Being four years removed from BIONICLE, I hesitate to start inventing new mask powers. Odds are I would name something we already have in story.

So: The Mask of Mutation cannot change one's fundamental element.

It can, however, undo Hordika mutations.

Rahkshi of Fire or Ice Resistance do not have or cannot have their body temperatures at the level that they did or could in Kraata Form. Presumably, this means that after power level one this power behaves in a much different fashion. Rather odd.

Also rather odd: Greg seems to be saying that Kaita Kanohi Powers are an actual combination of the three mask powers involved, as opposed to simply having access to all three. This seems to contradict the general understanding, which I had, and which BS01 certainly does, that the latter was true.

A Kanohi with the power to weaken others (which made from a weakness disk) is probably possible.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png