Official Greg Compendium

Rahkshi of Fire or Ice Resistance do not have or cannot have their body temperatures at the level that they did or could in Kraata Form. Presumably, this means that after power level one this power behaves in a much different fashion. Rather odd.

Also rather odd: Greg seems to be saying that Kaita Kanohi Powers are an actual combination of the three mask powers involved, as opposed to simply having access to all three. This seems to contradict the general understanding, which I had, and which BS01 certainly does, that the latter was true.

Frankly, I think both of these are cases of Greg just forgetting miscellaneous bits of information that never really came up in story. I wouldn't take them as seriously as some of his confirmations.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I'm not sure what to make of this quote... I think Greg is just explaining what was intended for Tera, not actually confirming the existence of an Earth Tribe on Spherus Magna, but it could be misconstrued.

Mr Farshtey,

I read your script for the fifth bionicle movie and I was wondering, you said Tera was a glatorian of earth, so does that mean their was a seperate ground based bara magna element from rock, iron or sand?

Yes. Sand and rock are not the same as dirt.

Now, to be clear, I don't think Greg was confirming an eighth tribe, so don't condescend to me (coughbonesiiicough). :P I just noticed that this phrasing could be misleading, so I want to get it cleared up.

If anyone with a LMB account is interested in asking Greg to clarify, by all means, feel free. I would ask him myself, but I can't access the LMB site right now, so I would have to wait until tomorrow.

UPDATE: Here, he confirms that there are Agori/Glatorian tribes on Spherus Magna whom we never met. I shall ask him if this "Earth Tribe" is one of them.

8) Are there more Agori/Glatorian Tribes somewhere on Spherus Magna that haven't been introduced (or were there others in the past?)

8) Yes

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I just got two questions answered on the Lego board, one about mutagen, and the other about Shadow Matoran.

1. Does pit mutagen mutate beings based on the appearance of surrounding creatures, adapting them to the environment, their personality, or just at random? Is it possible that an alternate purpose of pit mutagen was to mutate beings to survive in extreme conditions? Also, can a being be mutated by mutagen to such an extent that they would not be able to function anymore?

2. Did the shadow Matoran of Karda-Nui originally have the same noble masks before they were transformed into shadow Matoran? They seem like unlikely mask choices for Av-Matoran because of how immoral they are and their association with Makuta, even if they are powerless. Did the Makuta switch them?

1) I consider it at random, because it is not something that was created for a specific purpose. And to your last question, yes - we have met characters who were mutated and could breathe water, but we have no idea how many may have been mutated and drowned.

2) Yes

here is the page

Edited by Toa Of Virtues
  • Upvote 1

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

Holy dust darters -- the Earth Tribe exists! Now THAT is something I was not expecting. :blink: I'm not sure where to put this info on BS01... the Bota Magna article will definitely have to be edited, as well as any pages that list all the seven other named tribes... Wow. This is impressive.

Greg, you have now confirmed there are tribes on Spherus Magna which we never saw in main story. This is exciting news! My questions pertain to this new development.

1. If I'm reading your replies correctly, you seem to have said that the Glatorian Tera (a character who was intended for BIONICLE #5) was going to be a member of the Earth Tribe. Is this mysterious "Earth Tribe" one of the tribes we never saw?

2. If there does exist an Earth Tribe on Spherus Magna, in which sorts of regions would they reside? Would it be reasonable to assume that they had some dominion over subterranean tunnels, or is that off-base? Out of Bara Magna and Bota Magna, would they have greater numbers on Bota Magna?

Thank you for your time, as always.

1) Yes

2) Yes, Bota Magna, but I see them more as being farmers than cave/tunnel dwellers

Also, Greg intends to come up with a few more Kraata powers to add to Tahu's list, and Vakama has always had visions (though I think we already knew that last bit). Additionally, Greg is on vacation, which explains why his answers have been slower than normal, for anyone else who was wondering. (I'm such an impatient fellow...)

Can you quote more power (Like the Quick Healing) ?

And besides of that, I have a question about Vakama : he always had visions since his creation, or this faculty manifested itself since the Legends Of Metru Nui period ?

As far as Vakama goes I think he always did.

As for powers, I will try to find you something next week. I am on vacation this week.

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

I believe that Biosector also states that their masks were swapped as well. :) (it would make sense that the matoran's masks were the exact replicas of the makuta's they rode lol)

Not necessarily exact replicas, but noble versions of the same masks.

Well yes, but you know what I mean lol :lol:

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Holy madu fruit, Batman, the Earth Tribe had an Element Lord.

Wow, an eighth Spherus Magna tribe? This is a breakthrough, for sure. I see you're on vacation, so I'll go easy on the questions, but here are the first two that sprang to mind.

1. This Earth Tribe contains both Agori and Glatorian (well, "warriors", since they weren't in the arena system), correct?

2. Were the Earth Tribe combatants in the Core War?

3. Tying into this, did the Earth Tribe ever have an Element Lord of Earth appointed to it, or were they not part of that system?

Yes, yes, and yes, and I will go back and try to find your q's later this week.

Once my Q's about the Skakdi fortress are answered, I intend to ask about the Earth Tribe's colors. But this is -- if you'll excuse the pun -- groundbreaking news. B-)

• Upvote 3
-- Harlan Ellison

Wow! Never saw that coming... does this mean Bones will have to rewrite some parts of his retelling, I wonder? :P

It will be really interesting to hear about more Tahu Kraata powers... Was it clarified that they would be Level 6 kraata powers, or was that never specified? :/

• Upvote 2

Wow! Never saw that coming... does this mean Bones will have to rewrite some parts of his retelling, I wonder? :P

It will be really interesting to hear about more Tahu Kraata powers... Was it clarified that they would be Level 6 kraata powers, or was that never specified? :/

Koronga just never met the other EL. Maybe he's most reclusive. :P

As far as I know it was never clarified, but I think they would be level 6. Makuta had plenty of resources at his disposal, so why send a bunch of level ones? (Besides, I don't think level ones can control Rahkshi anyway. :shrugs:)

As far as I know it was never clarified, but I think they would be level 6. Makuta had plenty of resources at his disposal, so why send a bunch of level ones? (Besides, I don't think level ones can control Rahkshi anyway. :shrugs:)

Actually any type of kraata can control a Rahkshi, the suits greatly increase the intelligence and powers of the kraata. It's just that when the kraata upgrades, the Rahkshi upgrades as well, with powers and more intelligence. :)

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I wonder how that will be made to fit with all the sources - Journey's End and Raid on Vulcanus, among others - that said there was six armies and six Elemental Lords.

Does that mean the EL of Earth was so minor nobody remembered it? That its tribe was allied with another? That he was dead before the Core War and his tribe fought under the command of another EL?

That raises many questions...

• Upvote 3

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

Frankly, I'm just annoyed that everyone assumes the Element Lord of Earth was male.

I am intentionally not going to ask Greg the Earth Lord's gender. Some things shouldn't be left up to him. <_<

Anyway, with regards to whole "going against previous story" and such, this shouldn't be such a surprise. This is only the latest in a long-running tradition of massive retcons. I don't think you can read any piece of BIONICLE media without finding some detail that's no longer canon. :P

-- Harlan Ellison

Anyway, with regards to whole "going against previous story" and such, this shouldn't be such a surprise. This is only the latest in a long-running tradition of massive retcons. I don't think you can read any piece of BIONICLE media without finding some detail that's no longer canon. :P

You speak of retcons, I give you two words:

Red Star.

bBhcfWO.png

Anyway, with regards to whole "going against previous story" and such, this shouldn't be such a surprise. This is only the latest in a long-running tradition of massive retcons. I don't think you can read any piece of BIONICLE media without finding some detail that's no longer canon.

My point is more that there are many ways he could introduce it without retconning part of the latest official things we had. Furthermore, a special explanation would give some little trivia, which would be quite nice, IMO.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

Yes, it would be nice -- but it's never been done before, so I'm not sure why you'd expect otherwise. :P

-- Harlan Ellison

It would be cool if the Earth Elemental Lord was kinda like Demeter from Greek mythology, and the Earth Tribe in General was more of a farmers tribe overall, which would help explain why there wasn't an Earth army in the Core War. :P

Where is the copy of Bionicle 5, btw?

You speak of retcons, I give you two words:

Red Star.

"Retcon" means going back and changing something. Red Star is not a good example of that. It was a revelation, not a change; before that we were not told that it did something else that now it can't do (we were told some things it does, but it still does those). And it seems much easier to fit with previous things than this (had even been hinted at, as has been mentioned on here many times). They may have decided later rather than sooner what specifically would fill the role of what had been hinted at, but that does not count as a retcon.

Anyways, somebody should ask him the things maxim brought up. (Those are things I would pretty much need to know before I could decide whether or not to edit it into my retelling somewhere. I probably will, but it matters whether or not the EL should be "pretended to be there" with the other six, or stayed far away from them or something.)

The biggest objection* that came to my mind was that the cavern with the elemental chambers where it was said the ELs were granted their power shows only six chambers. Maybe the GBs did another round of EL-ifying soon after this but before the ELs' rebellious nature became evident? (If so, might that open the door to even more???)

*I don't mean that I don't like the idea, but in terms of consistency. And BTW, it isn't wise to just act like consistency doesn't matter; that's part of quality storytelling. What should be done ideally is find out how it can fit with what we learned previously and avoid retcon changes. Or at least ask if this can be done before leaping to the option of retconning.

Edit: Maybe the Earth EL is associated with the middle chamber itself that the others branch off from??

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Perhaps the Element Lord of Earth was the prototype Elemental? That could explain the absence of an Earth chamber in the cavern: Once the Great Beings were assured of the viability of their idea, they regularized the process for the convenience of the other six. As for Raid on Vulcanus, perhaps the Earth Tribe simply allied itself another tribe, and agreed to let the Lord of that tribe act as supreme commander. Perhaps Earthie was a great warrior, but a secondary strategist? As for the identity of the other tribe, Jungle seems logical. Plants grow in earth, after all.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I guess I will pose that theory to GregF in my next round of questions. I've already got two of them pending, though, and I don't want to be too demanding, so I will wait until at least one of them is answered.

And @ bonesiii...

BTW, it isn't wise to just act like consistency doesn't matter; that's part of quality storytelling. What should be done ideally is find out how it can fit with what we learned previously and avoid retcon changes. Or at least ask if this can be done before leaping to the option of retconning.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I wasn't trying to be wise, but wry. My comments were poking fun at the clumsy way GregF has handled retcons in the past, and cynically predicting that he will handle this one the same way. :P But I, too, like to avoid retcons, so I will suggest this theory to him. Time will tell if he agrees with us.

Edited by Yaldabaoth
-- Harlan Ellison

IMO it makes sense for the Earth tribe to be pacifists. If they truly are farmers, not cave dwellers, then the "quest for ultimate power" thing might not appeal.

Also if they were on Bota Magna, they might have had no interest. It's unconfirmed whether the Bota Magna Vorox were involved in the war, but they might not have cared, like a "let everyone else fight, we don't care as long as you don't harm us" thing going on.

And are those the guys holding Lewa?

And are those the guys holding Lewa?

Ooh, now that's a good theory. My feeling is that the wild ones are Jungle Tribe Agori, but I'll ask GregF.

-- Harlan Ellison

IMO it makes sense for the Earth tribe to be pacifists. If they truly are farmers, not cave dwellers, then the "quest for ultimate power" thing might not appeal.

Also if they were on Bota Magna, they might have had no interest. It's unconfirmed whether the Bota Magna Vorox were involved in the war, but they might not have cared, like a "let everyone else fight, we don't care as long as you don't harm us" thing going on.

However, Greg confirmed that the Earth Tribe fought in the Core War. Are you speaking contra-factually (or as close as one can in regards to fiction)?

Assuming that your post is cf., I don't see how farmers would be less likely to participate in a war. Farming is a profession, not an ideology.

gZsNWyr.png

However, Greg confirmed that the Earth Tribe fought in the Core War. Are you speaking contra-factually (or as close as one can in regards to fiction)?

Assuming that your post is cf., I don't see how farmers would be less likely to participate in a war. Farming is a profession, not an ideology.

Nope, just brain-glitching as usual. I didn't see it. :dazed: Thank you for correcting my error. :)

In regards to the Core War, probably they just didn't happen to send any major force to the Great Barren, so didn't end up on Bara Magna during the Shattering. Given that the well the war was about was on the Bota Magna part of Spherus Magna, it's reasonable that not every tribe would happen to be doing major maneuvers that far south at the time.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The Earth Tribe is still active, their colors are brown and black (heck yes!), and the Earth Lord was trapped with the rest of them.

A few more questions about the Earth Tribe, if you don't mind.

1. This might sound like a silly question, but for formality's sake, I must ask: is the Earth Tribe still active on Spherus Magna?

2. What are the Earth Tribe's colors? Brown, green, black, some variation thereupon...?

3. Was the Element Lord of Earth trapped with the others in northern Bara Magna?

1) Yes

2) Brown and black

3) Yes

I want to wait until my questions about the battle in the Skakdi fortress are answered, but next time, I will run the above theories by Greg and see if he agrees with them.

• Upvote 4
-- Harlan Ellison

Yaldabaoth's questions about the Skakdi fortress have been answered!

1. The Toa Mahri were very probably freed during the battle against Annona.

2. The Skakdi fortress has likely been recreated.

3. The monstrosities spawned by the desires of the Skakdi are still roaming Spherus Magna.

Source

In Sahmad's Tale, Chapter 7, Annona fought the Golden Being in the Skakdi fortress and drove the Skakdi mad by feasting on their dreams. The Golden Being then accidentally granted their maddened wishes, which dissolved the fortress and caused strange creatures and things to appear all around. My questions pertain to that event.

1. What happened to the Toa Mahri during all this? Were they freed from the Golden Being's brainwashing due to the confusion it went through? Or, if they were not freed, how did they respond to their masters being driven mad?

2. With Annona gone and the excitement over, has the Golden Being recreated the Skakdi fortress?

3. Sahmad helped restore the Skakdi's ability to dream, reversing their madness. But what happened to the freakish things spawned by their insane wishes? Are those still roaming Spherus Magna?

1) Since the dream of their serving the Skakdi no longer existed for that period of time, it is very likely they were freed during that battle.

2) Most likely, yes

3) Oh, yes, they are still there.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

Oh, heck yes! Those are the exact answers I was hoping for. :D

Though I suppose he's not clear on whether they were recaptured. I guess I will add that to my next round of questions, which I am asking... now.

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

Ye little villains are making my fanfics out of canon alignment. :P

Although the "recaptured" thing might serve as a plausible excuse at this point, especially since Greg sent the Toa Hagah after them. (Although the last time Greg sent the Toa Hagah after something they got illusionified and misdirected totally...*wonders*)

The "insanity-spawned-monsters" thing interests me, however. I shall have to research that. :)

• Upvote 2

New batch of answers to solve all your retcon concerns: The Earth Tribe didn't fight in the Core War (due to their connection to nature); and, most intriguingly, the Element Lords were created in shifts (meaning they're not limited to six).

This lattermost one is especially intriguing, since it means there may have been even more Element Lords than we currently know of. Additionally, I take this answer to mean that the Cavern of the Elements would have changed its elemental affiliation depending on which Element Lord was being created. That would imply that Fire, Water, Jungle, Sand, etc. were the last ones to be created. But this is only my interpretation.

With regards to the Earth Tribe not fighting -- yay, Gelu's exposition is still canon. However, this gets even more interesting when you recall that the Earth Lord was trapped with the other Element Lords at the end of the war. Did the Earth Lord strike up with another tribe, or go at it alone? Or, perhaps, whoever trapped the Element Lords somehow called all of them to one spot, regardless of whether or not they fought? This raises a lot of questions, but not in a bad way.

Thanks so much for answering all these questions. With that in mind, here are some more. joking.png

1. You've said the Toa Mahri were freed during the battle in the Skakdi fortress. Was this effect permanent, or were they recaptured?

I now move on to theories proposed by other BZP members.

1. Might some Bone Hunters have ancestry in the Earth Tribe?

2. There appear to only be six chambers in the laboratory where the Element Lords were created. Was the Element Lord of Earth created elsewhere? Or was the Earth Lord perhaps created in the central chamber of that laboratory, from which all the others branch off?

3. Several sources mention only six armies fighting in the Core War. Did the Earth Tribe join forces with any other tribe, or were they out for themselves?

1) Not that I am aware of

2) The element lords were created in "shifts," not all at the same time, so they were not limited to six.

3) The Earth tribe did not fight in the war. They are extremely tied to nature, plus they may have run across EP before ... regardless, they seemed to have a pretty good idea all of this was not going to end happily.

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 3
-- Harlan Ellison

Man, I wish we'd had so much more time to explore Bara Magna. The more that society pre-Shattering is fleshed out, the more I feel like the 2009 reboot could have gone a totally different way story-wise.

-Tyler

• Upvote 2

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND