Official Greg Compendium

A few new tidbits.

One: Karzahni is a sociopath. Not really a breakthrough or anything, it just might be an interesting thing to add to his page.

e) If Karzahni had been in Artakha's place, do you think he could have done just as good a job as him? Or do you think he would still have caused some sort of mess at some point?

5) Karzahni is a sociopath, so I don't think he would have done a good job.

More interesting news on the Velika side of the story: he made a show of going into exile, so the other GBs aren't concerned about where he is.

3) [Velika] probably made a big show of going into exile so [the Great Beings] wouldn't be concerned about him

3) So they basically were unconcerned about him ( at least until he shows back up and they begin to hear his name again)?

3) Yes

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Some new details about the Core Processor Glatorian, which tell a different story from the one we knew.

First, they were intended to eject at some point after the robot launched.

1. In Dwellers in Darkness when the Toa Hagah, Miserix, and Zaktan are inside of Mata Nui's brain, they find two corpses that Miserix says are like Toa, but different in many ways also. Were they Glatorians? If so, why were they there? 

2. This begs the question, If two Glatorian were sent inside of the Matoran Universe (As well as one Great Being sneaking in.), then were there any Matoran Universe dwellers (Matoran, Toa, Makuta, Vortixx, Skakdi, etc.) sent as a test to live among the Spherus Magnans? If so, how would they have been treated, and would they have been valued or despised during the Core War? 

1) Yes. They were the pilots for the initial launch and were supposed to eject at a certain point, but things didn't work out that way.

2) No, and remember, the pilots were not anywhere they would be interacting with Toa or Matoran and the GB was there in secret,  that was not an official mission.

Second, going along with that, they probably died long before the Great Cataclysm.

@1. I'm assuming the great cataclysm killed them? 

I actually think they died long before then. Their job was just to get the robot in the air and pointed in the right direction, to be simplistic about it, not to pilot it through the entire mission.

Opens up some fanfic potential, wouldn't you say? :P

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Hey Greg,

In 
The Powers That Be
, Velika thinks about how he needs all the Toa Mata alive for his plan to work (the exact quote is, "[Kopaka and Pohatu] would turn up eventually... the plan required it... The Toa Mata were too important to have their lives sacrificed 
needlessly").

What does this mean? What did the Toa Mata have that Velika could use?

Thanks. I think it's great that you're willing to directly connect with fans again

Good question. Here is what I was thinking at the time - Velika believed that what he was doing was for the good of all. He may have harbored some hope that he could persuade the Toa Mata to side with him, and since they were so revered, that would make other Toa and Matoran go along. If they refused, he could always kill them, but I think Velika understands the power of symbols.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 2

New evidence suggests that the Core Processor Glatorian were deliberately killed. This tiny little side story is just getting juicier and juicier.

So what went wrong? Why didnt they eject? Sorry if im pestering you.

You're not pestering me smile.png

Well, we have to figure on one of two reasons:

1) The eject mechanism failed, or ...

2) Something disabled to killed them before they got the chance to use it.

I would vote for #2, myself.

My fanfic urges are awakening...

• Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

So I asked Greg about The Crossing, even though I was pretty sure I knew the answer already.

Hey Greg,

A few years ago you wrote a short story called The Crossing for the Polish Bionicle books published by Ameet. It was never published in English, and as such the only way someone like me could read it was through translations - and you know how inaccurate those can be sometimes.

My question is - since the Bionicle line is currently defunct, and I'm sure those Ameet books are no longer being published, would you be allowed to share the original text if you wanted to? Or do the laws of copyright and such prevent you from legally doing this?

Thanks.

I would have to get permission to do that, because you cannot reproduce copyrighted stories in any form without permission from the publisher. I also doubt I still have the text -- that was a few computers ago.

• Upvote 1

(Reposting from another thread)

Another fan found the post I was thinking of. Matoran who identify as genders opposite to the usual are possible, and may exist. The relevant edits have already been made to BS01.

Considering that the great beings made orde male before making other psionic matoran female, does that mean there could be other exceptions to the "gender element" rule with other elements?

Possibly.

BOOYAH.  :afro: 

• Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

So... I guess it's possible the Great Beings made other test genders like Orde.

Keep in mind it's possible. Greg didn't want to rule it out because he might find himself using a female Ko-Matoran in a story or something.

Or it's possible that some Matoran just identify as a different gender. Don't over-think it. ;)

-- Harlan Ellison

Keep in mind it's possible. Greg didn't want to rule it out because he might find himself using a female Ko-Matoran in a story or something.

Or it's possible that some Matoran just identify as a different gender. Don't over-think it. ;)

They're robots. Either the Great Beings made some other tests like Orde or the Matoran in question glitched up somewhere along the way.

Now, there are probably some Agori, Glatoran, Skrall, and other legitimate life forms out there who naturally identify as a a member of the opposite gender.

• Upvote 2

They're robots. Either the Great Beings made some other tests like Orde or the Matoran in question glitched up somewhere along the way.

Now, there are probably some Agori, Glatoran, Skrall, and other legitimate life forms out there who naturally identify as a a member of the opposite gender.

Not precisely robots, but your point is still quite valid.

bBhcfWO.png

I'm confused by the apparent hostility to the idea of trans* Matoran naturally occurring on their own. For what it's worth, Greg himself implies that they might not be the result of GB experimentation (though he also notes that they're probably very rare):

So for the sake of accuracy on BS01, should we say, on the various matoran pages, that  "Almost all (element)-matoran are (gender)"?

Or perhaps you could specify which elements, if not all, have some/an exception(s) to the rule? happy.png

Cuz it would make sense that the great beings experimented a bit with each element... if they made the decision that "all Ko-matoran from here on out are male", something must have happened with a female Ko-matoran to make them do that? (and likewise for the other elements...like a few male ga- and vo-matoran?)

Keep in  mind that they did not have lots of time for experimentation. They were in a rush to get this thing built and launched. At any rate, saying this is possible does not mean I want to now assert that there is an exception in every Matoran tribe. I think that would be going too far. And without actual characters being created, I am not sure of the point of specifying tribes.

Additionally, details on how Velika got Lesovikk's sword:

3)How did Velika steal Lesovikk's sword (latet, he killed Karzahni with it)? I know he's a Great Being, but I'm still curiours.

3) He defeated Lesovikk and then he took it.

(That was simpler than some might have expected, lol.)

Finally, Gavla, Kirop, and Radiak wore the Noble Kaukau, Pakari, and Hau, respectively.

Did Gavla, Radiak, and Kirop wear Noble Kanohi Kaukau, Hau, and Pakari, respectively, before and after they were Matoran of Shadow?

His think-knowledge to support his thought-belief is that Tanma, Photok, and Solek wore Noble Kanohi Miru, Kakama, and Akaku, again, respectively.

Ever-sorry about the treespeak.

1) Sure, why not?

-- Harlan Ellison

Finally, Gavla, Kirop, and Radiak wore the Noble Kaukau, Pakari, and Hau, respectively.

I believe (or at least hope) that their masks were mutated like their bodies, correct? Because the masks they wear look a lot more like Noble versions of the (shapeshifted) masks the Makuta wore, and my head-canon has used that so far. I mean, if it's non-mutated it doesn't make much sense to me that Gavla's mask would be a Noble Kaukau, for example.

I believe (or at least hope) that their masks were mutated like their bodies, correct? Because the masks they wear look a lot more like Noble versions of the (shapeshifted) masks the Makuta wore, and my head-canon has used that so far. I mean, if it's non-mutated it doesn't make much sense to me that Gavla's mask would be a Noble Kaukau, for example.

I think their masks were switched upon their transformation.

• Upvote 1

bBhcfWO.png

I think their masks were switched upon their transformation.

Yes, they were switched. That's the question I asked Greg.

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

I've always thought that to be so contrived. It just so happens that the blue Av-Matoran Gavla wears the same mask as the Toa of Water, and it just so happens that the red Av-Matoran Radiak wears the same mask as the Toa of Fire...

But whatever. It's nice to have confirmation on that.

• Upvote 1

I've always thought that to be so contrived. It just so happens that the blue Av-Matoran Gavla wears the same mask as the Toa of Water, and it just so happens that the red Av-Matoran Radiak wears the same mask as the Toa of Fire...

But whatever. It's nice to have confirmation on that.

Even more so that the blue shadow matoran Gavla had the same mask as the blue makuta Vamprah, etc.

bBhcfWO.png

Neither of those are really contrived, though. The Av-Matoran knew the Toa Mata and some of them looked up to them. Whether it be the same ones who happened to have Noble versions of their masks or if they took those masks later in their honor, either way that makes sense. And the Makuta giving the Matoran they would work with Noble versions of the same masks they carry also makes sense. It's other things like the Voyatoran all happening to have the same masks as the Toa Metru that are contrived, but we all know why -- sets.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Hey, unrelated question. Does anyone (coughfishers64cough) know where/when GregF confirmed that Velika released Tren Krom from his prison? BS01 is a little confused right now.

-- Harlan Ellison

It's never confirmed that Velika got him out. It was speculated that he did from these answers: 

3)Did Tren Krom get out of the MU on his own (its destruction having freed him) or did something else get him out?

3) Someone else got him out

4)In the serial, it says (It was certainly a crime a Toa of Air had the power to carry out). But I would see Tren Krom as vastly more powerful than a Toa of Air (I mean, in FoF he displays the power to easily destroy a being by killing Carapar). How could Kopaka and Pohatu even consider Lesovikk being responsable?

4) Simple. If a Toa of Air created enough air pressure inside another being, it could cause an explosion. TK is very powerful, but also completely organic, so easy to blow up.

4)But wouldn’t Tren Krom stop him before that could happen?

4) Might, if he knew it was coming and could act in time. But obviously whoever killed him acted before TK could. Maybe it was someone TK would think trustworthy?

It was theorized from this that Velika knew TK and thereby got him out. (If it was confirmed on the LMB, it's news to me.)

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

Hmm. Well, it's kind of obvious, but I guess someone should ask for confirmation on the LMB thread.

-- Harlan Ellison

Not sure what to make of this one; based on the context, it could be confirming that Su-Matoran have some form of heat resistance, which would make sense, but the wording is very ambiguous.

could you confirm/deny that matoran of plasma have heat resistence? considering that most have a certain resistence to their element, it would make sense that they do have it, yes?

i think this got lost

Okay

Thoughts...?

-- Harlan Ellison

I was surprised he didn't do that earlier. :shrugs: A little disappointed, 'cuz that was supposed to be the Ta-Matoran's thing. Hopefully he sees it as a weaker resistance (which is admittedly awkward since Plasma has super-heat and fire just heat, but the Ta only have heat resistance, so "fairness" means they should have more IMO). There is precedent, in the strength thing with Po and Onu. Po have strength, Onu have somewhat enhanced strength and night vision, if I recall right...

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/td-p/6605180/page/307

1) Are Toa physically stronger than Glatorian, or is it the other way around?

2) I seem to recall you stating that all SM inhabitants have a metallic bone structure. At least, that's what it says at BS01. Is that true? It should be true, given that the Glatorian's weapons are made from animal bones and thus had to have been metallic to survive a millenia, right? 

3) Would an Agori/Glatorian have a shorter lifespan if they chose not to recieve implants?

4) Were Guardian and Lariska the only Dark Hunters helping the resistance during Teridax's Reign, or were there more?

1) I would give the edge to Toa

2) I don't recall ever saying that, or that ever being discussed by the story team.

3) I don't think so.

4) There could well have been more, the DH and the Makuta did not get along well by that point.

Edited by graywolf89
  • Upvote 1

Here's a new batch:

A. The Great Beings are about the same size as Toa.

Do The Great Beings wear Kanohi masks? Are The Great Beings the size of a Toa?

1) The Great Beings are not bio-mechanical creations, so no.

2) Yes

B. Details on why Takua's Pakari wasn't remarked on.

Mr. Farshtey,

1. Why was Takua's Pakari blue?

2. why wasn't it red, black, orange or yellow?

3. Why did none of the toa, matoran, turaga or even himself ever seem to notice that!?

1-2)  His original mask was damaged in Metru Nui and he put on Pakari, which turned blue when worn because the color had not been locked in.

3) Where does it say they never did? Remember, the Matoran had been on the island of Mata Nui for a long time when the story opened. Takua's mask was old news by then. There was no reason for anyone to be talking about in our story.

C. Su-Matoran do have heat resistance, and Velika freed Tren Krom.

1) Did Velika get Tren Krom out of his island prison?

2) If not, can you tell us who did?

3) Do Matoran of Plasma have heat resistence?

1) Yes

3) Yes

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

Here's a new batch:

A. The Great Beings are about the same size as Toa.

Do The Great Beings wear Kanohi masks? Are The Great Beings the size of a Toa?

1) The Great Beings are not bio-mechanical creations, so no.

2) Yes

B. Takua's Pakari isn't his original mask.

Mr. Farshtey,

1. Why was Takua's Pakari blue?

2. why wasn't it red, black, orange or yellow?

3. Why did none of the toa, matoran, turaga or even himself ever seem to notice that!?

1-2)  His original mask was damaged in Metru Nui and he put on Pakari, which turned blue when worn because the color had not been locked in.

3) Where does it say they never did? Remember, the Matoran had been on the island of Mata Nui for a long time when the story opened. Takua's mask was old news by then. There was no reason for anyone to be talking about in our story.

C. Su-Matoran do have heat resistance, and Velika freed Tren Krom.

1) Did Velika get Tren Krom out of his island prison?

2) If not, can you tell us who did?

3) Do Matoran of Plasma have heat resistence?

1) Yes

3) Yes

Those aren't necessarily new...

bBhcfWO.png

Yes, but now it's clear, for the record and stuff. I think that confirming that Velika got TK out helps. :shrugs: They probably have an interesting relationship, those two. 

Now we can talk about how Velika got him out. :shrugs: Maybe it's just his Karz-given shredder weapons. Although that begs the question of whether TK can swim. Maybe Velika had a big enough boat.

• Upvote 2

Yes, but now it's clear, for the record and stuff. I think that confirming that Velika got TK out helps. :shrugs: They probably have an interesting relationship, those two. 

Now we can talk about how Velika got him out. :shrugs: Maybe it's just his Karz-given shredder weapons. Although that begs the question of whether TK can swim. Maybe Velika had a big enough boat.

Actually, TPTB implies Tren Krom was somehow teleported to Bota Magna.

“The one you call Tren Krom appeared in the forest, from nowhere,” Gaardus began, speaking slowly and carefully. “He was … confused. He could move, but not very far or very fast. I was going to hunt, but his mind touched mine, and it hurt. Then … there was someone else, and the winds came, and I saw the star, and …”

He certainly couldn't have gotten there on his own, at least.

-- Harlan Ellison

Can any asked Greg about what is Zaria's and Orda's Kanohi Maskes are?

Yes please? I'd love new powers if they have those :D :D :D

People have asked before, but he never determined them before the serials ended. Here's his latest response to the question:

1. What mask does toa Zaria and toa Orde?

2. What is the name of great being who touched the mask of life?

Thanks Greg

None of this information exists, and I cannot name new characters because I no longer have an approved name list from LEGO.

(Source)

I'm posting this here so that we can link to it whenever some newbie comes along and thinks the Agori were created by the GBs:

Spherus Magna and the Agori are not artificial creations.

I am curious to know the origin of the Agori and how their planet Spherus Magna has born?

No  information exists on this. The Agori and their planet were not artificial creations, so we did not get into how they came to be.

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

Boidoh wrote:

1. Are the Toa Nuva currently in their Karda Nui forms?

2. Did Lewa's armour adapt while in space?

3. What Kanohi does Zaria and Orde wear?

1) No, because they are now in a desert, so their armor would adapt

2) I assume so

3) Never was determined
  • Upvote 2

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

First of a big crop coming up, courtesy of yours truly. So far, only the first two loads have been answered.

Post #1: Some interesting stuff here. Most important, methinks, is that the Kestora are not sapient in the same way Matoran are. Presumably, they are a living example of MU "sapience" pre-revolution. However, when asked about the fate of Lesovikk's team, Greg gives a more confusing answer than before, which may suggest that they were disintegrated after all. (I certainly hope so -- it does make the most logical sense.)

1. Lesovikk's Toa team was killed by Zyglak, who carry weapons that can disintegrate targets. Were his teammates were killed by these weapons, and thus not revived on the Red Star? That would make the most logical sense, rather than beaming them back down, since he wandered the universe and yet never saw them again.

2. Would you consider the Kestora sapient in the same way Matoran are? Were they part of Velika's cognitive revolution?

3. How did Velika spread sapience to all the inhabitants of the Matoran Universe? With some sort of virus?

1) If the body is disintegrated, then the red star cannot revive you.

2) No, not in the same way

3) Hasn't been revealed

Post #2: We'll probably never know exactly what "black fire" is, which is alright. And, if I'm reading this correctly, the giant space robots' lasers are non-elemental Light powers. That information sounds useless, but it's important for BS01 classification purposes.

1. Maxilos robots can channel their internal "black fire" energies through their blades. But what exactly is black fire? Is it a variant of elemental Fire, or perhaps elemental Shadow? Or is it something else entirely?

2. The Great Spirit Robot and Prototype Robot were capable of firing huge blasts of energy from their hands, which were described as lasers. Does this mean that they were a non-elemental Light power?

1) It's something else entirely. It also sounds cool.

2) Correct. Robots have built-in weaponry. We did not feel the need to give them actual elemental powers as Toa have.

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

Alright, here's the second half of that batch of questions.

Post #1: Some Kanohi info here. Varian wore the Calix as a Ce-Matoran, and Greg seems to be sticking to the idea that fused Kanohi result in an entirely new power. I'm a little confused, however, about his response to the Toa Hagah question -- can I get a second opinion on what he means? Did they have those masks as Matoran, or as pre-Hagah Toa?

(Oh, and Savage wore a Ruru.)

1. Does Jerbraz wear a Kanohi?

2. Did Varian wear the same mask (Calix) as a Matoran as she does now?

3. Did the Toa Hagah wear the same mask powers while Matoran as they do now? Or did they change mask powers when they were given metallic masks?

4. The Dark Hunter Prototype consists of two Toa fused together. Does this mean his face is actually their fused Kanohi? If so, can he use that Kanohi's powers?

5. The model of the Toa Hordika Savage uses a mutated Ruru for his head. Does this mean he wore a Ruru as a Toa? If so, did he also wear that mask as a Matoran? Or did he not wear a Ruru, taking into account the physical limitations on the builder who constructed that model?

1) No

2) Yes

3) No, they were the same

4) A fused Kanohi would produce a third power, you would  not  have access to both powers I don't believe

5) He probably did wear a Ruru as a Toa, but no idea what he wore as a Matoran

Post #2: Questions about species powers. Axonn remains as mysterious as ever, but all of Johmak's race have the ability to shatter and recombine as she does.

1. Axonn has a variety of powers, including electric bolts, stasis fields, and mental and physical healing. Are any of those powers possessed by his entire species, or are they unique to Axonn?

2. Similarly, Johmak is able to shatter her body into crystals and recombine at will. Does her entire species possess this trait, or is she unique?

3. If any of the above powers are unique to Johmak/Axonn, were those powers given to them by the Order of Mata Nui?

1) Unknown

2) It is a species trait

Post #3: Alas, poor Mountain, I knew it well.

Will anyone try to evacuate the Mountain from Xia, or is it pretty much doomed? Should we list it as "Deceased" or some variant on BS01?

Nobody is going to knock themselves out for this, and in the rush of a salvage operation, they probably won't even realize it's alive..

(Oh, and BTW, Zyglak can be revived on the Red Star.)

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison