Official Greg Compendium

I'm pretty sure that is a forget-con. I thought it was confirmed that they were native to somewhere else. 

2. Is Dume native to Metru Nui?

2) No

1) Hasn't been revealed, but it is quite likely that other Toa like Lesovikk, Dume, and others who were not native to Metru Nui also did not have their masks made from Kanoka.

It's possible that Lhikan could be, but seeing as Dume saved his life as a Ta-Matoran crafter, I tend to doubt it. Also posts in the Official Greg Discussion assume that he was not, and it's strongly hinted in Legacy of Evil that he's from elsewhere, with the Frostelus (but then he ran to Metru Nui's aid with his team, so it could be argued). 

In any case, Dume's a nope. 

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

So what will happen to the unfinished serials in regards to 2015's storyline? Can they not be finished now?

I have not been asked to do that, for reasons that I think will become clear after NYCC.

This certainly seems to point to a continuity reboot. I can't think of what else it might mean.

• Upvote 4

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/11207841/highlight/true#M252404

fishers64 wrote:
So is Bionicle 2015 going to have any story at all? If so, can you tell us what medium it uses primarily? Web Serials? Web videos? A game? Or are the books the main thing?
Yes, it does have a story. As for how it will be executed, that is something you will have to wait and see as it develops.

Yay. I was starting to think it might not.

Quisoves Pugnat, it could be because the serials aren't important because it is a reboot. :P

Exactly what I said. :P

Or it could point to the serial plot points getting resolved or contradicted in the main story. 

Possibly, though I never thought that the post-Journey's End story had advanced to the point where a future main story would likely contradict it.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's official!

It's been confirmed at the BIONICLE panel in New York that this is a reboot, not a continuation of the old storyline.

And for future reference:

Since I am not  involved with the new line, there really isn't going to be anything I can share with you about it that you won't already know.

So, the torch is officially passed!

Now we'll have to figure out where to get our reboot factoids from lol.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 6

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...

This thread's been a little neglected as of late, hasn't it?

Regardless, I think this post certainly deserves to be here: In which Greg Farshtey gives clarification on the increasing frequency of canonizations in the LMB thread.

There's been a debate going on about the canonization of things for old BIONICLE story, and I thought I would share my thoughts on this.

1) First of all, the notion held in some quarters that I no longer care about old BIONICLE and will just canonize anything is wrong and a little insulting. If I did not care about old BIONICLE (or Gen1 as some people call it), I would not be spending my time answering questions on this board. I invested 10 years of my life in Gen1 and wrote over 800,000 words on it. So yes, I care.

2) That said, one of the reasons NOT to add much to canon in the past was the possibility that Gen1 might come back in some form someday. With new BIONICLE officially a reboot, that option is extremely unlikely to happen. So allowing bits into the story here or there is not going to ruin any official plans for the future. Also, since it is also extremely  unlikely that authorization will ever come to write new chapters of old story, the only additions there can be to  old story are these minor canonizations.

3) There are things I do  not want to do. I am not going to add new Toa elements, and I do not want to start doing a lot of retcons which is why I made the rule that if one of my answers is contradicted by pre-established canon, canon takes precedence. The kind of things I have been canonizing -- an extra Rahi for Mata Nui, a name for a Toa team -- are minor and do not ruin or retcon anything from past story. I think the hue and cry over them is a little overblown.

4) Please keep in mind that I do  not own the story -- LEGO Company does, as they own everything to do with BIONICLE. Anything I do is done with their sufferance, and they can, at any point, declare that nothing else can be canonized if they choose to do so. They are the  only ones with the authority to do that. Any segment of the fanbase can choose to  ignore whatever they like, but they do not have the authority to shut the story down

• Upvote 5
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

About time. As if his clarification that we can ask him as much things as we want wasn't enough...

Since this topic is kinda dead, I shall say the recent new stuff...

- Fikou-Nui is canon

- If the Voyatoran believed that the Piraka were Toa, and then transformed, they would become Skakdi-like in appearance.

- Matoran Hordika are possible; and they would gain rhotuka

- There are no Mahri Nui, Voya Nui, or rebuilt Matoran of the Green... there goes my MOC opportunities...

- Some of the dimension of meaningless time and space have inhabitants, but they are beyond anything ever seen

• Upvote 5

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Anyone remember that thread I ran about who might be one of Velika's Bara Magna agents? Well, after several attempts to get that question (and others) answered, my efforts have finally paid off. Atakus is one of Velika's agents.

(Also, the Kanohi Jutlin is made from Weaken disks, and we've got some quality Farshtey snark about the recent canonization debate. Interestingly, Greg has elected not to respond to queries about the origins of the Skakdi Fusion.)

Round three!

1. Is the Kanohi Jutlin made from Weaken disks? Their powers are nigh-identical. (As suggested by a member on BZP.)
  2. In Tales of the Masks, the first book you ever wrote for BIONICLE, Onua Nuva and Turaga Whenua encounter a large, pale, tentacled worm Rahi in the depths of Onu-Wahi. In Challenge of the Hordika, Krahka assumes the form of a large, pale, tentacled worm Rahi to fight Roodaka. Was Krahka imitating a member of the species encountered by Onua and Whenua?
  3. In Reign of Shadows, when the Toa Mahri witnessed the Skakdi creating the golden fusion, they assumed that Teridax had put the idea in the Skakdi’s minds, because only he, the Great Spirit, would know that all those beings were destined to transform. However, in an answer in this topic some weeks ago, you implied that Teridax was not responsible for giving the Skakdi that idea. If you wouldn’t mind clarifying: did Teridax manipulate the Skakdi into creating the fusion, or did he not? And if he did not, who knew, and how, that all those beings were destined to fuse?
  4. A while ago, you confirmed that Velika had agents loyal to him stationed on Bara Magna, whence they reported the goings-on to him for 100,000 years. You also confirmed that some of the characters we met in 2009 story were agents of Velika. After this was revealed, I ran a BZPower topic where members discussed which characters they suspected to be working for Velika. The top contenders were Vastus, Atakus, Metus, and Berix. Were any of these four characters working for Velika, or were our suspicious wildly off?

Thank you for your time.

1) Yes

2) At the risk of being vilified on certain fan sites, yes.

3) Metus I can confirm was not. Neither was Berix. Atakus was. As far as Vastus goes, I would like to hear the arguments for why people think he would have been before making a call on that.

• Upvote 5
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Wait, somebody with an account should get the Vastus arguments from the old topic and send it over. :P

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Wait, somebody with an account should get the Vastus arguments from the old topic and send it over. :P

That's what I've done. ;) I've given him what I think is a pretty balanced amount of arguments for and against it, so all it really comes down to now is Greg's understanding of the character.

-- Harlan Ellison

Ok... I had no idea what the word "vilified" meant, so naturally I did what I do when I don't know a word. I look it up (BTW thanks Dorek using the word 'esoteric', now I know what that means...). 

Vilified - speak or write about in an abusively disparaging manner.

So I am guessing that Greg has negative thoughts of BZP now?

"2) At the risk of being vilified on certain fan sites, yes."

Ok... I had no idea what the word "vilified" meant, so naturally I did what I do when I don't know a word. I look it up (BTW thanks Dorek using the word 'esoteric', now I know what that means...). 

Vilified - speak or write about in an abusively disparaging manner.

So I am guessing that Greg has negative thoughts of BZP now?

"2) At the risk of being vilified on certain fan sites, yes."

You are inferring the wrong meaning from the context...

bBhcfWO.png

Greg did say that he finds it somewhat disrespectful towards him, stating that he doesn't care for BIONICLE.

• Upvote 1

I would like to point out that Greg did not say he would be "vilified by certain fan sites", but rather "vilified on certain fan sites" (emphasis mine). Assuming that Greg has turned his back on BZPower entirely because of a few negative remarks would be rather insulting to his emotional maturity; after all, he's a grown man, which is more than most of the people on this website can say. :P He made a casual joke about the recent pushback to canonization, and that's all there really is to be inferred.

• Upvote 7
-- Harlan Ellison

That's what I've done. ;) I've given him what I think is a pretty balanced amount of arguments for and against it, so all it really comes down to now is Greg's understanding of the character.

I... I love you for that. If Vastus gets in as one of Velika's spies, that'll be the first time (I think?) I contributed to Bionicle canon.
  • Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Sorry, Archon~. After weighing the arguments, Greg says Vastus isn't a secret agent.

As requested, here is some information on the arguments for and against the other top candidate, Vastus.

Here are some of the reasons BZP members suspected Vastus:

• Vastus is guilt-ridden about the Core War, so Velika’s promise of peace may have been very appealing to him. He might see service to Velika as atonement for his sins in the Core War.
  • His pledge to protect his people above all else is similar to Velika’s aim, which is ultimately to create a safer world for the Agori.
  • Vastus was a highly respected Glatorian. His career would provide a cover for travel between villages, which would allow him to gather information.
  • He was very quick to trust Mata Nui.
  • Vastus was the one who told Mata Nui about Tarduk’s expedition to the north.
  • During the Core War, Vastus came across prehistoric records left by ancestors of the Agori (mentioned in Mata Nui’s guide). Velika might have supplied him with those records.

And here are some of the arguments other BZP members made against Vastus:

• Vastus didn’t seem to believe Tarduk when Tarduk told him about the Valley of the Maze and the baterra.
  • Since Vastus was not given a lot of spotlight time in the story, we don’t have very much evidence for or against him.
  • Vastus’s guilt stems from the accidental deaths of many Ice Agori in the Core War. Velika, however, doesn’t seem to care if he has to kill people for the greater good.
  • Vastus preferred to stay close to Tesara to protect his people, decreasing his utility as a spy for Velika.
  • Vastus is very loyal to the Agori and his society, and has said that a Glatorian’s duty is chiefly to his village. This philosophy would be rather at odds with the idea of secretly serving as a spy for a Great Being.

Based on this, i don't think there is enough evidence to implicate Vastus.

Also, in a weird forgetcon-ish thing, Greg implies Atakus has his blades because of Velika. We know that Velika didn't give the blades to him, since that would contradict the information given in Mata Nui's Guide to Bara Magna. However, based on the wording, this answer is ambiguous and could be taken to mean that Velika indirectly arranged for Atakus to receive the blades, or otherwise was responsible. It's weird.

So would that be why Atakus has those mysterious blades that "glow with an unearthly light"? I must say I highly approve

Yes

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

Update: Velika is, somehow, responsible for Atakus having his blades.

Errm... Greg, I believe it was said before that Atakus' blades were found in what was believed to be a baterra weapons cache... So I don't see how Velika could have given it to him, unless Velika led him to the area.

The GBs built the baterra and Velika would have been in communication with him, so I can't see why this would not be possible.

-- Harlan Ellison

About the Atakus blades thing (pardon me in advance if this was already covered, as I only had time to skim some of the latest posts here), I always thought the "believed to be a Baterra weapons cache" thing implied it wasn't one (but read on). And I seem to recall that the glowy blades were said to be of "alien" (or something) origin. To me that seemed like Greg was implying alien scouts may have landed on SM, disguising themselves Star-Trek-style as the natives.

If that is the case, then Velika would not likely have known about the cache.

However, the alien origin theory could still work, if the Baterra simply killed the alien scouts and put their weapons where they put normal weapons. That would especially work if there was actually only one scout, and so those blades were the only alien tech there (so Atakus can be unique).

Has Greg been reminded of those two things (the "alien" thing or whatever the wording was, and the "believed to be") in recent discussion?

If not, he may have forgetconned what he was implying about that cache.

Or maybe the theory has always been wrong and Greg never meant to imply any such thing. :shrugs:

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...

About time. As if his clarification that we can ask him as much things as we want wasn't enough...

Since this topic is kinda dead, I shall say the recent new stuff...

- Fikou-Nui is canon

- If the Voyatoran believed that the Piraka were Toa, and then transformed, they would become Skakdi-like in appearance.

- Matoran Hordika are possible; and they would gain rhotuka

- There are no Mahri Nui, Voya Nui, or rebuilt Matoran of the Green... there goes my MOC opportunities...

- Some of the dimension of meaningless time and space have inhabitants, but they are beyond anything ever seen

Fikou-Nui?

BEWARE THE LORD OF SKULL FIKOU SPIDERS. :P

And I'd love to see MOCs of Toa that look like Piraka. :P  :P  :P

• Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

• 4 weeks later...

NEW STUFF

- The final member of the Toa Mangai is a Toa of the Green.

- The Toa of the Green's Kanohi is currently being voted on, with permission from Greg.

- The Toa of the Green lived in Ga-Metru, due to the fact that it was a place close to nature for a city.

- Other stuff that pale in comparison to THE GREEN!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

A bit of interesting trivia: Greg says there are fewer than 20 Great Beings, in all.

3.How many great beings exist.

3) Not something we have ever revealed, but I would say less than 20.

This is interesting. It implies that the GBs aren't a race on their own, as 20 individuals wouldn't have enough genetic variety... Maybe this means they were part of the Glatorian species, or an altered version of them.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'm not surprised that the GBs are nothing more than a handful. It'd be more surprising if they were an entire species consisting of nothing but thousands of highly skilled inventors and scientists capable of manipulating nature, time and space.

• Upvote 2

A bit of interesting trivia: Greg says there are fewer than 20 Great Beings, in all.

This is interesting. It implies that the GBs aren't a race on their own, as 20 individuals wouldn't have enough genetic variety... Maybe this means they were part of the Glatorian species, or an altered version of them.

That's what Greg's been saying for a while now. Nothing concrete, but he's said many times that he "saw them" as specialized members of the Glatorian race.

-- Harlan Ellison

That's what Greg's been saying for a while now. Nothing concrete, but he's said many times that he "saw them" as specialized members of the Glatorian race.

So there were several castes, like the Skrall; Leader-class glatorian were GBs, Warrior-class Glatorian were, well, Glatorian, and worker-caste glatorian became Agori (or a third unnamed species).

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...