Official Greg Compendium

"It's ALIVE!!!" ... "Good. Now lets hit it with a rock. Then we'll eat it."

That is brilliant. I love that mental image.

Brownie points if you know what movie I got that idea from. Wait sorry I mean cookie points. They seem to be more favorable to brownies here.

Anyway I don't know if they actually ate the goats or just milked them or used them as personal lawn mowers and pack mule type Rahi. Since to my knowledge there are no horse or mule rahi the goats are the ones they strapped to carts and alike,

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Lawn? In a desert? Prowl, you gotta be hallucinating from something. 

Anyway, I always thought Rahi functioned like real life animals, exhibiting  movement, respiration, sensitivity, growth, reproduction, excretion and nutrition. Now that we're talking about comparing Rahi to real life animals, is there a food web or chain of rahi in a certain ecosystem? 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I could be. I've not eaten much of anything all weekend. Also ran out of milk some time last week and have not gone shopping.

anyway have you ever wondered why they have goats in the desert to begin with? I mean Po-Matoran wouldn't do very well in a jungle setting so they need a Rahi to clear the way. Yeah I know it is a stretch but what do I know. I didn't even follow the story all that closely and am only now learning stuff others have known since Bionicle started...

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Here's a food web of Ta-Wahi (to the best of my construction. Any rahi from Metru Nui are not included.) 

Tertiary Heterotrophs: Ranama consume Nui-Rama.

^

|

Secondary Heterotrophs: Hikaki & Infernavika consume Hoto bugs. Nui-Rama consume Fire Mahi, Hikaki, Infernavika & Vako.

^

|

Primary Heterotrophs: Hoto bugs consume plants of some kind. Fire Mahi consume plants of some kind. Vako consume plants of some kind.

^

|

Autotrophs: Plants of some kind.

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

The Red Star doesn't revive Rahi, Zyglak, or any being made of Antidermis. It also doesn't revive any beings outside the Matoran Universe, fully organic/non-protodermis-based beings that may have wandered into the robot, or anyone in the robot whose head is either completely trashed or disintegrated/incinerated/fried/exploded/dissolved etc.

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

...except that contradicted him saying they couldn't before, and when asked for clarification, he said "no" makes more sense.

I see, didn't know that. Weird, this discussion seems to me to be the entire reason the Red Star's reviving mechanism was there in the first place (conserving finite resources). :shrugs:

Incidentally, the quote I linked to precedes the earliest quote you linked to by about ten months (it was actually among the first info about the Red Star we had), so it would seem he forgot that as well. But that doesn't change the fact he made the decision you linked to, of course.

On the BionicleSector01 pages of those species (and the unnamed species page for the Barraki) it says they were created by Mata Nui, while it says on the page of the Red Star that it was created before Mata Nui was created. Therefore those species must have been created after the Red Star was created. BS01 doesn't give the sources for the fact that these races were created by Mata Nui, so I can't give you those either. The source for the Red Star is here.

just don't see how there can be any predatory behaviors in Rahi without a majority of them going extinct, unless they can somehow reproduce without the aid of Makuta.

You've convinced me there were active carnivores. But to this last bit, it looks like it's assuming Makuta didn't replace them. Do we know that? We do know he was watching the island intensely.

My reasoning earlier was even if the Matoran could eat Rahi, if they know Makuta is responsible for replacing them, I doubt they'd want to annoy him by making him do it more often.

Plus since he's their enemy I doubt they'd even want to at that point.

It seems to me that still stands. :)

[i see you went on to mention they might replace them. Anywho. :P Of course, they might not know the Makuta are responsible for it, esp. if they need that food, so the Turaga would decide not to tell them. :shrugs: ]

what motivation could they possibly have to make their jobs harder?

Well, they presumably wanted some Rahi to actually attack Matoran or others after they turned evil, and carnivorous behavior makes them better fit to that. Some Rahi were commissioned by the League as war beasts, and given their portrayal in a flashback, that probably means they wanted them likely to kill too (though herbivores can kill of course).

Even before they turned evil, Rahi were to keep Matoran, etc. away from areas where they weren't allowed, and predation might have been part of that, since the GBs did not know the Matoran would be fully sapient.

Incidentally, do we know Makuta had to be directly involved in making more of a Rahi type after it was invented, fully tested, and a final version chosen? They make them with viruses; maybe they have a way to make a type of virus reproduce in the liquid proto pool assigned for that type of Rahi? So if the pool is refilled, another Rahi is made? If governed by a smart enough computer hooked into some kind of population monitoring system, they wouldn't need to be involved after finalizing the design, if so.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Of course, they might not know the Makuta are responsible for it, esp. if they need that food, so the Turaga would decide not to tell them. :shrugs: ]

The Turaga might not know that Makuta make Rahi either. Metru Nui was the northernmost land mass in the robot, and the most isolated. They were apparently the last (or one of the last) to learn that the Brotherhood went bad, whereas other lands had been attacked already. Not to mention that in 2004-2005 material, Metru Nui inhabitants didn't seem to know all that much about the origins of Rahi. They didn't seem to know where Rahkshi come from either. They didn't know their assigned Makuta's proper name. The Brotherhood didn't seem too public sometimes (though it's obvious that they were other times, like the interventions of the Matoran Civil War and League of Six Kingdoms).

Incidentally, do we know Makuta had to be directly involved in making more of a Rahi type after it was invented, fully tested, and a final version chosen? They make them with viruses; maybe they have a way to make a type of virus reproduce in the liquid proto pool assigned for that type of Rahi? So if the pool is refilled, another Rahi is made? If governed by a smart enough computer hooked into some kind of population monitoring system, they wouldn't need to be involved after finalizing the design, if so.

Like a Rahi factory that mass produces Rahi once their initial design is completed? Interesting idea. Greg once said that when Makuta design a Rahi, they usually start from scratch rather than modifying already existent Rahi, so an automated process would help them focus time on new species.

• Upvote 3

Of course, they might not know the Makuta are responsible for it, esp. if they need that food, so the Turaga would decide not to tell them. :shrugs: ]

The Turaga might not know that Makuta make Rahi either. Metru Nui was the northernmost land mass in the robot, and the most isolated. They were apparently the last (or one of the last) to learn that the Brotherhood went bad, whereas other lands had been attacked already. Not to mention that in 2004-2005 material, Metru Nui inhabitants didn't seem to know all that much about the origins of Rahi. They didn't seem to know where Rahkshi come from either. They didn't know their assigned Makuta's proper name. The Brotherhood didn't seem too public sometimes (though it's obvious that they were other times, like the interventions of the Matoran Civil War and League of Six Kingdoms).

Like a Rahi factory that mass produces Rahi once their initial design is completed? Interesting idea. Greg once said that when Makuta design a Rahi, they usually start from scratch rather than modifying already existent Rahi, so an automated process would help them focus time on new species.

Glad someone else got this. I was going to write the same thing pertaining to 'rahi factories', but I felt lazy and thought to myself, "if someone doesn't get this in the next couple of hours I'm going to answer it". :P  I honestly think all MU inhabitants are created through some sort of automated machinery like this (there being exceptions of course; probably guided by the forces of fate that be Mata Nui and other stuff), and before the Great Cataclysm they would create new matoran based on population levels with long periods of time in-between. Afterwards only a few or none at all would exist, creating a sense of dread that the universe is literally slowly dieing off.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Guess Teridax truly did have some twisted affection for his 'older brother', Mata Nui.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Or he really did think he could benefit from having another giant robot on his side during his grand conquering of the universe. Or even deep down, he was afraid that if it came to a fight, he might lose...

In that case, he had a fairly good reason to fear. 

• Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

That quote is:

1. Antidermis is protodermis-based like everything else, right?

1) No. It's a different substance with different properties.

This isn't news, but quoting it because we have a rule/guideline to not just link these but post the quote, in case something goes wrong at the LEGO side of the link in the future. Please remember this next time. :) Also, it's best to link directly to the post, not just the page. Do that by clicking "Highlight" in the "Options" button on the post and copying the URL from address bar (not intuitive, I know :P).

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

That quote is:

1. Antidermis is protodermis-based like everything else, right?

1) No. It's a different substance with different properties.

This isn't news, but quoting it because we have a rule/guideline to not just link these but post the quote, in case something goes wrong at the LEGO side of the link in the future. Please remember this next time. :) Also, it's best to link directly to the post, not just the page. Do that by clicking "Highlight" in the "Options" button on the post and copying the URL from address bar (not intuitive, I know :P).

Okay. I also didn't know how to link directly to the quote.

Taken from here:

2. There's been discussion over why certain Rahi can even wear masks. Is it possible that the Makuta purposely designed them with mask "holders" so they could potentially attach infected masks? You know, to perhaps build an army, or guard duty, or something?

2) Or as an easy way to control them.

Makes sense.

3. Unrelated, did Teridax spend the entire millenium after the Great Cataclym under Mata Nui? Or did he ever leave to go to Daxia or exchange news and information with the rest of the Brotherhood? Specifically, was he there during the time period between the Toa Mata defeating him and the Bohrok-Kal/Rahkshi's arrival?

3) It's entirely possible he spent time within the MU during this period, yes.

I can't see why he would've hung around during the entirety of the Bohrok wars. And he obviously had some sort of contact with the Brotherhood, as the other Makuta seemed to be aware of a lot of things. For example, the Makuta in Karda Nui occasionally addressed the Toa Nuva by name, and Tridax was obviously aware of Takanuva.

4. If a Reconstitutes at Random Kanoka were made into a mask, would it allow the user to shapeshift, but not have control over the form they shapeshift into?

4) Yes

Not sure I'd want that mask...

5. Last for now, what's the difference between the Makuta's Rahi Control and Insect Control powers? I thought all insects that naturally occurred in the Matoran Universe were Rahi. Does this just mean that Insect Control works on insect Rahi, and Rahi COntrol works on everything but insect Rahi?

5) Yes

Seems kind of useless and redundant to me to have one power work on everything but insects and another work on nothing but insects. Maybe it's so they're not overpowered. Like if you have 50 Kane-Ra and 70 Nui-Rama in range, having control of all of them would give your opponent almost no chance at winning.

Actually it has been stated before that rahi control could control insects just not as easily and effectively as insect control. Unless Greg is intentionally changing this.

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

Actually it has been stated before that rahi control could control insects just not as easily and effectively as insect control. Unless Greg is intentionally changing this.

I think both the rule about forgetcons and the fact that Greg's answers are usually very short and not meant to cover every angle apply here.

Great Beings have hair.

8. Do Great Beings have hair?

8) Yes

I'm not sure how this is relevent, or even if it's new, but I find it strange that Greg even answered this. He's usually pretty tight-lipped about them. I also find it strange that the story team even determined that Great Beings have hair.

Then there's this:

4. The relationship that Velika had with the other Great Beings, especially with Angonce was it good or bad?

4) Neutral. They were people he worked with, they weren't his pals.

I feel like this is kind of a cheap answer. You can make both friends and enemies at work. And since it's Velika the asker mentioned, I would think he would have had a few disagreements with his colleagues. especially Angonce

It might be new in terms of his wording it as certain. It's not new in the sense that he told us he leans toward seeing them as relatives of the Glatorian (and we know they have hair) -- but he had previously, as far as I know at the moment, refrained from giving a definite answer.

As for "neutral" being a cheap answer, again I'd say the fact that Greg's answers are usually very short comes into play here. He doesn't say Velika had no disagreements, and I'd think being neutral implies he almost certainly did (plus his actions!) -- Greg just wasn't commenting on those details. You could ask about that specifically if you wanna know more; that's how Greg usually does things. :)

He also might not be answering the "especially with Angonce" part. When a question asks two things in one, Greg often ignores the more specific one and answers only the general. He's done that to plenty of my own questions, heh, and I've seen it to a lot of others. I'd call that up in the air unless he's asked specifically if Velika had more disagreement with Angonce than others, etc. Notice his answer talks only about the GBs as a whole, as it's worded. (But I dunno if we know how much Angonce differs from the others anyways.)

Matoran minds hold (at least part of) what makes them eligible to become Toa, so Velika cannot transform.

1) Velika cannot become a Toa, so it's irrelevant.

Wait, wait, hang on a second... What did you say?....

But in The Kingdom alternate universe, he was a Toa...

"His destiny achieved, Takanuva had sacrificed his power to bring a new generation of Toa into being. These included Toa Kapura, Toa Balta, Toa Dalu, Toa Velika, Toa Defilak, and a new Toa of Light, Tanma."

Right. But where in that story does it state that is Velika the Great Being? As I recall, that was Matoran Velika, not Velika with a Great Being inside.

Can you explain why Velika can't become a toa?

As I understand it, he's quite matoran, except for his mind, so what bars him from becoming a toa?

He's a Matoran physically, but not mentally. He does not have Matoran AI, and what's buried in the AI plays a part in whether you are destined to be a Toa or not. So a Matoran who is not really a Matoran is not going to become a Toa.

That clears that up.  Do you think that Velika not being a Great Being somehow played a part in Matoro's failure?

EDIT: Then this happened

Right. But where in that story does it state that is Velika the Great Being? As I recall, that was Matoran Velika, not Velika with a Great Being inside.

So, in the alternative universe, "Velika" never toke the "real Velika's" body?

Right. He took someone else's.

Make of that what you will.

Edited by N.S.M.8

...so "Velika" was in that universe... he just took someone else's?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Velika was not the GBs name, just his.. "Avatar" in the MU.

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

would that mean that the split point of "The Kingdom" alternate universe was not in fact matoro's failed saving of Mata Nui, but in fact "Velika" choosing someone else? this is actually interesting...

• Upvote 2

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

We knew that for a while, we just didn't know that a great being not-Velika was in the MU.

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Wait, if Velika was the name of the Great Being, then what was the name of the Matoran he took over? That doesn't make sense though, because "real Velika" in the Kingdom is actually named "Velika." Are they both named Velika?

Velika was the Po-Matoran's name already, before "Velika" took over the body, as confirmed here.

9. Was "Velika" the name of the Great Being, the Matoran the Great Being stole the body from, or did he just completely make it up?

9) The Matoran

EDIT: Wait, is he confirming here that the Great Beings were on the sub-planets Bara Magna and Bota Magna after the Shattering, or is he saying they were in the regions of Bara Magna and Bota Magna before the Shattering?

3.but if the codrex kept the toas canisters,and the toa were created by artaka,a great being,does that mean the codrex is the great beings base?

The Great Beings did not have a base inside the robot. The GBs were on Bara Magna and Bota Magna all throughout this story.

EDIT 2:

Someone on Takanuva's ruling council? Nektann, maybe? You wouldn't think a Skakdi would be one to join a ruling council of noble leaders.

Probably not worth asking Greg about any further, he probably never took the time for small details like that on alternate universes.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

Canonization poll anyone? :P JK.

EDIT 2:

Someone on Takanuva's ruling council? Nektann, maybe? You wouldn't think a Skakdi would be one to join a ruling council of noble leaders.

Probably not worth asking Greg about any further, he probably never took the time for small details like that on alternate universes.

If it's someone from the Council, then probably the the Nynrah Ghost.  It would allow him to do the jobs that he enjoys, and explain why that particular otherwise uninteresting Matoran was on the council.

• Upvote 2

EDIT: Wait, is he confirming here that the Great Beings were on the sub-planets Bara Magna and Bota Magna after the Shattering, or is he saying they were in the regions of Bara Magna and Bota Magna before the Shattering?

Lifer was on Bota all along, remember?

• Upvote 1

Thought this might be interesting for anyone planning on building an "accurate" moc of Gavla, Kirop, etc: https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/12763670/highlight/true#M282809

Hi Greg!

1a. You have stated previously that Av-Matoran, and no other types of Matoran, are enlarged by the energies of Karda Nui, and that their size shrinks back to "normal" when they leave. However, the Shadow Matoran seem to be the same size as the Av-Matoran. Does this mean that Shadow Matoran also absorb energies?

1b. If so, that would mean they shrink upon leaving Karda Nui, just like Av-Matoran, right?

2a. You've said before that the mutations done by Mutran (such as claws and wings) were not fixed when the Shadow Matoran were turned back into Av-Matoran. When Mata Nui used the Mask of Life to fix the Barraki and other mutated beings, did that fix these mutations on the Shadow Matoran?
2b. You said that the color change to black would take "a bit of time" to return to normal after the Matoran were cured. Had this happened yet by the time that the Matoran Universe was destroyed (end of the 2010 story)? If not, did the Ignika heal that?

Thank you

1) No, it means that they had absorbed suffiicient energy to grow BEFORE they became Shadow Matoran.

1b) Yes

2a) Yes

2b) Yes, he took care of that

idk man

^I suppose that that means that the mutations that Mutran applied to the Matoran were, or were related to, pit mutagen. 

Or simply that Mata Nui undid all mutations, or at least all the ones he knew about.

Here's something:

"6. Are Kestora about the same height of a Matoran? That's kind of the impression I got from the illustrations."

"8) What illustrations?"

There were illustrations of Kestora in the Journey of Takanuva young reader. The ones in the pocket dimension.

Yes, but those were pocket dimension Kestora - we don't know that base dimension Kestora look like that.

Mainstream Kestora look different than those in pocket dimensions? That's kind of strange. Why would that be?

1. So anyone who wanted to go to/from metru nui had to pass through karzahni?

1) If they were going overland, yes

(Source)

That's kind of interesting. You'd think Karzahni would've noticed people waltzing through his realm over tens of thousands of years (there's more on Karzahni in the post). However he did specify it's the only way on land.

On that note, wouldn't you still need a boat? Metru Nui is an island, so there's still water between it and the gate.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese