Official Greg Compendium

INteresting tidbit, along with some nice info about why Greg often uses the 'IRL physics don't apply in Bio' so often.

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/10783249/highlight/true#M247460

Oh, and somebody who knows fully well that Greg isn't allowed to discuss 2015 is still trying to trick him into confirming Bio 2015. :burnmad: :frustrated:

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

ToaAE wrote:

This got buried a few pages back, so reposting....

Hey, Greg.

1) Another question about 
The Powers That Be, 
about the following passage:

“I had not thought of the star in so long,” Gaardus continued. “Not since the death of the Nynrah. 
The star was why I stayed in the Nynrah’s village for so long after my escape. Now I wonder if what I was waiting for was up there, not down among the land and water.”

Does Gaardus mean that he was waiting for the Nynrah he killed to be sent back down so that he could kill them again, and they never came because they got stuck up there? And if so, are the Nynrah he killed still up there?

2) Is Velika willing to sacrifice innocents to achieve his plan? The building he was planning to destroy to kill Helryx, Tuyet, Artakha, etc also had people like Hafu and Kapura, who certainly weren't powerful threats in any way.

3) What was Velika's plan for the Vorox? He gave Kabrua a device that can shut off Toa powers, for example. What did he plan to use the Vorox for?

4) Is Tahu more powerful now than he was as a Toa Nuva?

5) Who was your favorite Toa team to write about?

6) Do you particularly enjoy writing alternate dimension stories? If so, why?

Thanks for your time and patience!

1) Yes, and yes.

2) Oh yes. Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

3) Shock troops

4) Yes

5) Probably the Metru, because they had no clue what they were doing.

6) Yes, because there are no rules to them. From the beginning, the BIONICLE universe had a lot of rules to it, and more as time went on. When you go to an alt., rules go out the window and you can make up whatever ones you want. So there is a lot of freedom.

Edited by toa kopaka4372
  • Upvote 1

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

kyle7475 wrote:

Hey Greg:

1) How did you guys plan to have Mata Nui and his gang get from Bara Magna to Bota Magna for the planned 5th movie? were they going to stumble upon a GB spacecraft? Were they going to be teleported to Bota Magna? Maybe a portal?

2) Where did the Great Beings go after the Shattering occured? We know that they went into hiding, but did they ALL go into underground bunkers like Angonce did?  Did they leave the planet via spacecraft, and travel to one of the other habited planets in the system?

3) Who has better heat resistance--Ta Matoran or Su-matoran?

4) The answer to this question is kind of obvious, but Spherus Magna is FAR larger than Earth, yes?

5) If so, does that mean the gravity on Spherus Magna is far greater than that of Earth's as well?

6) Could a Toa of Plasma form objects like weapons out of his plasma?

7) Plasma is probably the most dangerous element. How would a Toa knock out an opponent using plasma without killing them?

1) They were going to use a craft launched by the force of an erupting volcano.

2) I can tell you there was no intent for them to have left the planet. They would have been somewhere on Spherus Magna.

3) Su-Matoran

4) Yes

5) I'd assume so

6) If he was really skilled, yes

7) Surround them with a ring of it and let the sheer heat overcome them.

Link:https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/10802073/highlight/true#M247647

3) Su-Matoran

Arg! Now Ta have nothing special at all! I don't think he thought this through very well. Somebody should bring this up. Unless Ta are meant to have some advantage we have never been told?

5) If so, does that mean the gravity on Spherus Magna is far greater than that of Earth's as well?

5) I'd assume so

Sigh...

There goes another very reasonable theory due to a forgetcon -- no canon source ever portrays the gravity as 'far greater' and if it had, you couldn't have birds flying, Toa jumping, etc. (and appealing to "they're stronger" doesn't work as everything should behave differently, including just a falling fruit from a tree on Mata Nui, etc.) Maybe my theory that something in the rock of the planet, presumably transformed to have this ability by the EP, absorbs extra gravity over Earth-level, should actually be brought up to him? This may be one of the worst "not thought through" answers I've seen.

(Although technically my theory does mean that it "has" greater gravity, it's just not felt as greater because it's absorbed.)

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'll bring it up to Greg, alongside my 110 other questions. I think I have spammed the LMB with my questions...

Now, now, bonesiii, we all know real life physics don't apply in BIONICLE.

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 4

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

3) Su-Matoran

Arg! Now Ta have nothing special at all! I don't think he thought this through very well. Somebody should bring this up. Unless Ta are meant to have some advantage we have never been told?

5) I'd assume so

Sigh...

There goes another very reasonable theory due to a forgetcon -- no canon source ever portrays the gravity as 'far greater' and if it had, you couldn't have birds flying, Toa jumping, etc. (and appealing to "they're stronger" doesn't work as everything should behave differently, including just a falling fruit from a tree on Mata Nui, etc.) Maybe my theory that something in the rock of the planet, presumably transformed to have this ability by the EP, absorbs extra gravity over Earth-level, should actually be brought up to him? This may be one of the worst "not thought through" answers I've seen.

(Although technically my theory does mean that it "has" greater gravity, it's just not felt as greater because it's absorbed.)

Maybe I should have simply worded it as "greater" instead of "far greater".... :o

Anyway, remember that the definition of "far greater" is subjective--some people might think three times Earth's gravity is considered "far greater," other people might consider ten times Earth's gravity "far greater."

That's exactly my point -- my theory was a simple, convenient way to make real life physics not apply (planet being super-large, but not having deadly-high gravity levels). Now Greg's saying real-life physics DO apply in a simple way here -- bigger planet, bigger gravity. This creates an obvious, near-universal contradiction with all previous plot (except the ones just inside the artificial gravity field of the MU, which was a minority of Bionicle story), especially since it's confirmed Spherus Magna things (like thornax for example) are made of normal matter. For MU beings we could explain it away as protodermis itself absorbs extra gravity or nullifies its effects, but yeah...

Leaving it unstated what the gravity situation was, would have been better, IMO. That way my theory could be imagined, or not imagined, as people liked. If he takes that assumption to a simple canon answer, it's only going to create massive plausibility problems. The physics excuse can only go so far -- and making virtually everything in a story get the well-deserved label of "busted" (to use Mythbusters lingo) is a bad idea. It isn't actually an explanation either, so doesn't really answer the "how" question.

Maybe I should have simply worded it as "greater" instead of "far greater".... :o

Anyway, remember that the definition of "far greater" is subjective--some people might think three times Earth's gravity is considered "far greater," other people might consider ten times Earth's gravity "far greater."

Problem is the planet is many, many times larger than Earth, since the giant robot is roughly Earth-sized, and all portrayals of motion dynamics and everything just used Earth levels. An exact percentage isn't the point -- it's that if Earth physics is forced into this situation as that answer seems to imply, it would definitely be so high organic lifeforms should be pressed flat against the ground and maybe even be crushed, robotic parts should wear down rapidly, and a thrown disk (like the bamboo disks) should clunk to the ground instantly.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

That's exactly my point -- my theory was a simple, convenient way to make real life physics not apply (planet being super-large, but not having deadly-high gravity levels). Now Greg's saying real-life physics DO apply in a simple way here -- bigger planet, bigger gravity. This creates an obvious, near-universal contradiction with all previous plot (except the ones just inside the artificial gravity field of the MU, which was a minority of Bionicle story), especially since it's confirmed Spherus Magna things (like thornax for example) are made of normal matter. For MU beings we could explain it away as protodermis itself absorbs extra gravity or nullifies its effects, but yeah...

Leaving it unstated what the gravity situation was, would have been better, IMO. That way my theory could be imagined, or not imagined, as people liked. If he takes that assumption to a simple canon answer, it's only going to create massive plausibility problems. The physics excuse can only go so far -- and making virtually everything in a story get the well-deserved label of "busted" (to use Mythbusters lingo) is a bad idea. It isn't actually an explanation either, so doesn't really answer the "how" question.

Maybe I should have simply worded it as "greater" instead of "far greater".... :o

Problem is the planet is many, many times larger than Earth, since the giant robot is roughly Earth-sized, and all portrayals of motion dynamics and everything just used Earth levels. An exact percentage isn't the point -- it's that if Earth physics is forced into this situation as that answer seems to imply, it would definitely be so high organic lifeforms should be pressed flat against the ground and maybe even be crushed, robotic parts should wear down rapidly, and a thrown disk (like the bamboo disks) should clunk to the ground instantly.

Remember, Mata Nui could control gravity in his body, which could explain why things worked the way they did in there (and possibly on Mata Nui). As for Bara Magna, I don't have an excuse.

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

Oh Greg how fast you ruin our dreams.

Boidoh wrote:

1. You recently confirmed that Su-Matoran have greater resistance than Ta-Matoran. Now that means Ta-Matoran has no unique or special abilities. Can you please tell me if they have anything special we don't know about. Maybe temporary resistance to lava or something.

2. You also recently said that the gravity is greater on SM than on Earth. Or rather, you said that you assumed so. How can this be possible if everything functions the same. Nothing canon shows it acting any differently, no jumps are different, birds fly the same. Someone on BZP had a theory that something in the core of the planet that was transformed by EP, absorbs the extra-gravity that is over earth-like levels .

1) It was basically fans who insisted the Su-Matoran have this ability. The price of it is Ta-Matoran do not have something that is exclusively theirs anymore.

2) Again, though, BIONICLE follows comic book science, not Earth science. People jumped and birds flew "normally" on Krypton, too, which had much heavier gravity than Earth.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

GREG CONFIRMED LEHVAK-KAL IS IN ORBIT!!!!

1) He is in orbit over the planet, his orbit will decay eventually, and he will burn up.

Forcing this out of him did pay off.

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 1

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

If there was enough Energized Protodermis-which we can assume is not as dense as solid rock-in Spherus Magna to split it into three pieces during the core war, then Spherus Magna as a whole is probably nowhere near as dense as we think (Earth-level density). That said, SM is undoubtedly still massive enough to have gravity greater than Earth's. The question now should be how much greater. I reckon that if SM's gravity is no more than five times that of Earth's (as opposed to ten or twenty times, as its size would suggest), there shouldn't be that huge of a difference in physics to break canon. As for your bamboo disk example, there are other factor to consider, such as the density of the air. Or the fact that the bamboo disks were used of Aqua Magna, a smaller fragment of SM.

I guess I'll just take "gravity" as referring to what is emitted, rather than felt. :shrugs: (Which can still work with my theory. :shrugs:) It sounds like Greg doesn't really understand the problem -- my theory is 'comic-book' physics, since in real life, nothing can absorb gravity (as far as we know :P). But saying the gravity is much stronger, and having it have no effect, isn't really comic book physics, it's just a contradiction.

Although it does fit with needing the Red Star to escape the planet, for the giant robot. :) (This could have worked already, so not sure it counts as consistent with heavier gravity per se... depending on the power of the giant's own propulsion. But every other portrayal as far as I recall fits only with Earth gravity.)

then Spherus Magna as a whole is probably nowhere near as dense as we think (Earth-level density)

The only way density could work here is if it's like super-pumice, or really a gas giant, since it was confirmed to be made of normal matter. However, some application of "matter emits less gravity in this universe" would work and had been another theory going around -- but then why say "bigger than Earth has to mean heavier than Earth"?

Although given HOW huge it is, that could still work. :P An Earth-sized planet perhaps might weigh less than Earth if matter emits less gravity (maybe something is different about the spacetime itself), and SM could still have slightly stronger gravity than Earth due to being much, much larger. :shrugs:

The question now should be how much greater. I reckon that if SM's gravity is no more than five times that of Earth's (as opposed to ten or twenty times, as its size would suggest), there shouldn't be that huge of a difference in physics to break canon.

Five Gs is still quite a lot. Certainly the less the better though.

As for your bamboo disk example, there are other factor to consider, such as the density of the air. Or the fact that the bamboo disks were used of Aqua Magna, a smaller fragment of SM.

Good point, though that won't enable earthlike behavior in a radically stronger gravity field, just like moonwalking doesn't look like earthwalking by virtue of there being no noticeable atmosphere.

As to the second, though, that was another reason for the absorption theory, since there was no noticeable difference between projectile behavior (or any behavior) on Bara Magna or Aqua Magna. Since both would be muuuuuch larger than Earth, if the rock just absorbs gravity, it's all explained simply and cleanly.

Another thing is it would make animators' jobs (etc.) easier. Same reason having the years be Earth years was easier. Having the gravity be the same as Earth's regardless of the size means animators don't have any need to worry about this. Of course, they can always just ignore it anyways, but if a canon fact is universally ignored, what's the point of having it?

Edited by bonesiii

'Kay, I was gonna put this in an edit to last post, but as it's relevant to gw's post I'll put it here:

It was basically fans who insisted the Su-Matoran have this ability.

That would make sense, and maybe he saw a lot of fans asking for that, but I wonder if this is a forgetcon too? The actual ability fans on here picked in a poll wasn't that, but the eye thing, which Greg had already canonized. I wonder if Greg has forgotten about that? I certainly didn't see fans wanting that by and large -- if anything I saw me (and apparently people agreeing) that they shouldn't have more than Ta, so Ta remain special. There's no logical reason they would need to have it, as they wouldn't want to touch plasma anyways. As long as Su-Matoran just stayed farther away from plasma, having less heat resistance than Ta would work.

Maybe Su-Matoran have poorer night vision, like how Onu-Matoran have poorer day vision?

That does make sense, as a necessary side effect of their eyes' resistance to bright light. :)

Re: Chat with Greg Farshtey

an hour ago

kyle7475 wrote:

Hey Greg, I hope you don't mind if I ask you some of these questions:

1) What would the Adaptive Armor's Desert Form look like? I was thinking it'd be similar to the armor's default form except with minor alterations; such as sandfilters on the mask's eyes and mouthpiece, shaded eyepieces to keep out the sun, a back-mounted hydration pack, and extra seals on the joints to keep out the sand. What do you think?

2) When Lewa arrived on Bota Magna, did his AA adapt to the Jungle environment? And if so, what extra features do you think it would it possess?

3) Do you think Vo-Matoran could be powerplant workers, as their primary occupation (by "primary occupation" I mean like how Ta-matoran are primarily blacksmiths, Po-matoran primarily stonecarvers, etc)

4) Are there such things as matoran Healers or Doctors? In fact, do medical jobs exist at all in the MU?

4a) If there are such things as matoran Healers, do you think Bo-matoran would make good healers? They would know a lot about herbs and such.

5) Are there such things as matoran Lawyers or Law scholars?

5a) If these occupations exist, do you think Ce-matoran would be good lawyers? I mean, their minds are guarded from outside influences, which would be good when dealing with telepaths.

1) That makes sense.

2) I would say maybe some internal cooling system (as the desert form would have had too), and possibly cutting implements that could be used to get through dense vegetation, and maybe some form of radar to help spot things since you can't see very far in a jungle.

3) Like I said, I have to give the occupations some thought.

4) I think so, yes. I would guess that Ga-Matoran do a lot of that, given that it was something Gali excelled at.

4a) That is certainly possible too

5) We never really established much of a law/court system for BIONICLE, so I am going to lean toward no.

And there you have it, folks. We now know: what the Adaptive Armor's jungle and desert forms are like, the fact that Healers exist as a Matoran occupation within the MU, and that Ga- and Bo- Matoran are the prime candidates for this occupation

Link: https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/10819455/highlight/true#M247857

Edited by graywolf89
  • Upvote 2

I really don't think Greg's comment about the gravity thing should be taken as definitive canon. He said mor gravity would make sense, not that it had more gravity.

• Upvote 1

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

It's not exactly important, but we have a good indication of the durability of Toa armor: 

kyle7475 wrote:

1) This might seem like a strange question, but do you think Toa armor is bulletproof?

2) When an MU inhabitant "eats" say, a fruit or a rahi the old fashioned way or with their hands, is the organism's mass directly converted into energy?

1) Yes

2) No. There will be something left behind if he eats, say, a fish - essentially, a withered husk.

Link:https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/10830801/highlight/true#M247972

Edited by graywolf89

So when MU inhabitants actually eat stuff with their mouth, and there's a husk left, where does it go/exit...?

Does this mean Skakdi poop on a regular basis? :P

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

So when MU inhabitants actually eat stuff with their mouth, and there's a husk left, where does it go/exit...?

Does this mean Skakdi poop on a regular basis? :P

Apparently if they eat with their mouths, all of the food gets converted into energy.

Hey Greg,

1. How did the Matoran eat conventionally in Mata Nui if they didn't have internal organs that processed the food?

2. Since Matoran can drain energy by touching, doesn't that mean they can steal energy from other Matoran?

3. Do Matoran ever age, or do they stay young like children for how many thousands of years until (more of an if) they become Toa?

1) They wouldn't need organs to process the food even if they did eat conventionally, as many Rahi do. In most cases, the Matoran simply touched the fruit or fish and drained energy from them. If they tried to eat it with their mouths, the physical contact would still drain the energy that they need to live and any food remnants would have been destroyed by the energies inside their body, so no waste, etc.

2) No. They are designed to not be able to do that. Nor have we ever seen one drain energy from a Rahi. The fish they ate on Mata Nui were Aqua Magna fish, not MU fish.

3) Depends on what you mean by age. If you mean does time affect them, yes, they have natural lifespans and can die of old age. They can also gain in knowledge, experience and maturity as time goes on. Look at how Takua went from avoiding the responsibility of being a Toa to choosing to take it on -- that is a sign of maturity.

I never particularly saw the Matoran as being like children. I saw them as villagers. They don't have super powers and they rely on the Toa for that, the same as the citizens of Metropolis rely on Superman.

(Source)

Maybe even though absorbing the energy through your hands gets you less energy from a given food item overall (since you have stuff left over and you don't if you eat it), the additional energy expended processing the leftover stuff (which presumably is harder to convert, otherwise if you used your hands the whole thing would be processed) means that it'd be more efficient to take energy from several items instead of eating one? That might explain why the Matoran used their hands instead of their mouths and a stigma rose around eating normally.

Edited by Infrared

In regard to your question #2, he basically confirms that Matoran/MU inhabitants can drain power from organic Spherus Magna creatures like the fish we saw on Aqua Magna.

Wait well, if we look at it, the sapient species of SM are made out of the same stuff as the creatures, correct? Kind of like how humans and antilopes are made out of the relatively same mushy stuff inside?

So does that mean that MU inhabitants could possibly drain energy and eat other sapient species of SM?

Could this be why the GBs were so freaked out if Matoran Inhabitants developed sapience and came onto SM?

Oh dear...

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

In regard to your question #2, he basically confirms that Matoran/MU inhabitants can drain power from organic Spherus Magna creatures like the fish we saw on Aqua Magna.

Wait well, if we look at it, the sapient species of SM are made out of the same stuff as the creatures, correct? Kind of like how humans and antilopes are made out of the relatively same mushy stuff inside?

So does that mean that MU inhabitants could possibly drain energy and eat other sapient species of SM?

Could this be why the GBs were so freaked out if Matoran Inhabitants developed sapience and came onto SM?

Oh dear...

Well humans posses the biological ability to digest other humans...

It's really the same idea, one sapient creature eating another.

• Upvote 1

See, this is why I told you not to ask Greg!!  >:(  >:(  >:(

To be fair, Greg did proceed to say he knew next to nothing about the MLN campaign, so we can and should take his word with a grain of salt.

(But if we're going to be all "word of God" about this, I will admit that in Raid on Vulcanus, Gresh describes the Hero Agori with male pronouns. But again, I must implore readers to consider that Greg doesn't know what he's talking about.)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

See, this is why I told you not to ask Greg!!  > :(  > :(  > :(

To be fair, Greg did proceed to say he knew next to nothing about the MLN campaign, so we can and should take his word with a grain of salt.

(But if we're going to be all "word of God" about this, I will admit that in Raid on Vulcanus, Gresh describes the Hero Agori with male pronouns. But again, I must implore readers to consider that Greg doesn't know what he's talking about.)

But if we're going to be all "word of God" about this, I will admit that in Raid on Vulcanus, Gresh describes the Hero Agori with male pronouns.  

Well, that's that.  Straight from Raid on Vulcanus, the Hero Agori is indisputably male.  

Why does everyone have a problem with a male character who is compassionate and humble?  I know we need more female characters, but I like this one as a male.  We don't get many male characters who talk their way through problems in an action story.  Bionicle in particular seems to have many male characters attack potential allies (Tahu, Kopaka and Takanuva come to mind) or make otherwise arrogant decisions. 

I feel like I am the only one NOT upset by this.

• Upvote 3

Nah, BIONICLE has its fair share of gentle/calm male characters...Onua, Matoro, Nuju, Tarix, etc....

Either way, I'm rather indifferent to what the Hero Agori's gender is. Female would be nice, though, since I don't think we have a single named female Agori in-story...

I'm more interested in the fact that nearly all of the Toa Mangai have just been confirmed permanently dead.

• Upvote 1

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Just to clarify: 

Boidoh wrote:
Can you confirm whether or not the following characters were revived on the Red Star?
Ihu (killed in a chute collapse)
Kodan (killed by Eliminator)
Naho (killed by Eliminator)
The other Toa Mangai (killed by Eliminator)

1) Yes
2-4) No. Eliminator's blasts are lightning-like in nature and while metallic parts would survive, any AI would be fried beyond the ability to retrieve for download.

• Upvote 3

See, this is why I told you not to ask Greg!!  > :(  > :(  > :(

But if we're going to be all "word of God" about this, I will admit that in Raid on Vulcanus, Gresh describes the Hero Agori with male pronouns.  

Well, that's that.  Straight from Raid on Vulcanus, the Hero Agori is indisputably male.  

Why does everyone have a problem with a male character who is compassionate and humble?  I know we need more female characters, but I like this one as a male.  We don't get many male characters who talk their way through problems in an action story.  Bionicle in particular seems to have many male characters attack potential allies (Tahu, Kopaka and Takanuva come to mind) or make otherwise arrogant decisions. 

I feel like I am the only one NOT upset by this.

Boo hiss. BIONICLE has far too many male characters, period. As toa kopaka pointed out above, the extensive list of male BIONICLE characters already includes plenty of measured, wise, and intelligent males, so your point is invalid.

It would have been so nice to have at least one more female character, just one more. Would that have done so much harm, to increase female representation by one character in the face of some 200-odd males?

This is the exact same reason that, while confirming the existence of the Earth Tribe, I intentionally did not ask about the Element Lord of Earth's gender -- so that it could be left open to interpretation. These things should NEVER be left up to Greg Farshtey.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I'm puzzled as to why there is any debate over the Hero Agori's gender if Raid on Vulcanus described him as male.

But that said, if we choose to ignore Raid on Vulcanus, I would prefer the gender of the Hero Agori to be left indeterminate. After all, this is a player character with no given dialogue or personality traits. Simply saying "Hero Agori is male" doesn't affect the way MLN users played the Bionicle campaign.

And even if the Hero Agori was confirmed to be female, I hardly think that would constitute a victory for female representation in Bionicle. If the character's traits are largely indeterminate, it's not as if feminine behavior is being better portrayed in story. The number of female characters is only as relevant as the variety of portrayals it allow for. You could hypothetically have 99% of all characters be caricatures of true femininity, or have 1% of all characters be good portrayals of women. It's far more than a matter of numbers.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat
  • Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Interesting updates...first off, the Great Beings are not of the same species as the Glatorian or Agori:

Tahu-136 wrote:
Hey Greg!
Ive had a small arguement about the Great Beings just now. I thought I would ask you to solve the dispute.

What we were discussing is their origin. Were they glatorian that were just different and eventually became powerful due to feeding on other minds? Or were they a new species entirely, that arrived on Spherus magna later?

My friend later stated that, without Annona, they probably wouldnt be genious enough to create something as great as Mata Nui. Is this true?

1) The GBs are neither. They are natives of SM, but not of the same species as the Glatorian and Agori. They are scientists, they did not feed off anyone's mind to get their intellect.

2) No, it's not

This would seem to contradict an earlier answer, but I think that was what Greg conceptualized them as being like, not what they actually were...

Vezon can't make a quick trans-dimensional escape :P, and a very very old fanfic idea of mine is actually canonically possible. Weird.  

fishers64 wrote:
1. Can Vezon open a portal to escape the fortress he's in now if he wanted to? Or is the mask power in him still "switched off" by the insane GB?

2. Would it be possible for a Toa to fuse with a mask in EP the same way Vezon fused with the Olmak? If so, could they access that mask's power?

3. If a Toa that fused with a mask wore another mask, would they be able to access the power of that mask? Or would they have problems? (I'm talking about using either the mask power of the mask on their face or the one they were fused with independently, not at once). 

1) It's still switched off.
2) Yes and yes
3) No, they would not, because they would not be wearing Mask A, so putting on Mask B would not be a problem. I would just say they couldn't use both powers at once.

• Upvote 1

kyle7475 wrote:

Hey Greg, I hope you don't mind if I ask some specifics about the capabilities of a Toa. I'm doing this so we can get an accurate sense of their traits and capabilities.

1) Can the average Toa lift more than 1 Ton?

2) Do Toa possess superhuman reflexes?

3) Are their senses (namely vision and hearing) superhuman as well?

4) Without using any mask powers, can the average Toa easily outpace a human in a foot race?

5) Are there slight height variations among Toa?

6) Do martial arts exist in the MU, and if so, is it possible that some Toa are martial artists?

7) Without their armor on, do Toa resemble the original Mata prototypes?

8) Do Toa control their elements psychically (e.g. Tahu creates a fire whirlwind by thinking it in his mind, channeling his EP through his sword) or physically (e.g. Tahu creates a fire whirlwind by twirling his sword around in a whirlwind motion while channeling EP through it).

Also, I have two unrelated questions that I hope you don't mind answering:

9) Are the mechanical pistons in MU inhabitants pneumatic or hydraulic

10) Also, have you decided what MU brains are made of yet?

1) Probably, yes

2) I would say no. They have to train for that sort of thing. Look at the Metru, they were always slamming into things when they first became Toa.

3) Well, we know their eyes and ears are not organic, so they are more on the level of a machine.

4) Unknown

5) Not that I have seen

6) Yes and yes

7) I don't think so, no

8) It requires mental activation. The tool does not control the shape of the power

9) Don't know

10) Well, as I said earlier, if they are organic then the MU has to have a fantastic tech level to be able to download consciousness ... if they are AI, the red star is easier to accept

Link: https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/10880359/highlight/true#M248413

So...yeah, we have a good idea of a Toa's capabilities. The average Toa has a strength level above Class 1. Fitting really, since they're mostly robotic. Also, Toa can be martial artists, which is pretty sick.  It's also good to clarify that they control their elements with their minds--for a while I actually thought they had to use Avatar-style movements for elemental manipulation. 

Edited by graywolf89
  • Upvote 1

This post in reply to a conversation that started in the "Character Mistakes" topic, but is off-topic there; it's about a new pair of answers from Greg retconning Bota and Aqua Magna so they're no longer moons but are now planets only in orbit of Solis Magna (their sun), not Bara Magna. Greg might not realize it but this creates a lot of massive problems with logic that the old explanation avoided. The subject came up because I mentioned Greg's old answer explaining why Aqua Magna inhabitants didn't see Bara and Bota Magna in the sky (islanders of Mata Nui and Voya Nui, also Mahri though they couldn't really see the sky anyways). See fishers' post with that old quote here:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/14252-character-mistakes/?p=722249

This defined Aqua and Bota (I'll leave off all the "Magnas" here for convenience) as moons, and many sources confirm this. But Greg's new answers deny that they're moons:

Were AM and BotaM moons of BM? As in, they revolved around the planet?

I don't think so, no

A while back I asked you if Bota/Aqua Magna revolved around Bara Magna and you said no. Does this mean that they had their own orbit around Solis Magna?

Yes

As I'm saying in my latest reply there:

Since it can be confusing to use just words to talk about this, I made some diagrams to explain the problems. Keep in mind "not real physics" isn't a good answer to most of this as this is mostly geometry and basic "something is moving this way, and gets pulled that way" math. If that stuff doesn't apply, then punching a Toa shouldn't need to hurt, etc. All this uses is basic physics which Bionicle has always used, like "overheating is bad" stuff.

But since this is off-topic here, and IS about a Greg answer, I'm posting it in the Compendium, not here. Let's take this conversation over there, yeah?

Here's those diagrams:

orbit_problems_diagram_SCENARIO_1.png

orbit_problems_diagram_SCENARIO_2.png

orbit_problems_diagram_SCENARIO_3.png

orbit_problems_diagram_SCENARIO_4.png

orbit_problems_diagram_SCENARIO_5.png

Are there any other scenarios I'm forgetting? I'm having a hard time seeing why their being moons needed retconned/forgetconned. What benefit does that bring that their being moons didn't have, exactly?

I for one hope Greg goes back to the old answer; it made way more sense. Yes, we don't really need to worry about these things, but why not stick to an answer that actually made sense if we chose to, especially since it's what the official sources portrayed?

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 6

Or real life physics don't apply... And isn't your sun a bit too tiny?

Also, when I told Greg Yalda's stance on how Lehvak-Kal still SHOULD be in orbit, about how simple inertia shouldn't rip him out and what not, Greg gave the usual physics answer. Whatever is possible in comics is possible in BIONICLE.

And how am I trying to trick forgetful authors? I had no motive of that. In fact, weeks ago when I asked the question, I WANTED them as moons, then Greg let me down. I wanted the moon to have a moon. I thought it would be cool...

Edited by Boidoh

All the pictures but the first are too fuzzy. Is it just me?

They're working fine for me. Might be the upload site; I'm only using it (randomly found via google) since brickshelf is down for maintenance. But I doubt that. Are you viewing on an odd platform?

Or real life physics don't apply... And isn't your sun a bit too tiny?

Sizes are not meant to be exact; it's a representation to illustrate the point (actually the sun there is too big probably :P).

And these real-life physics have always applied in Bionicle before; that's the whole point. This isn't really an answer, since if it doesn't matter, the moons solution shouldn't be a problem either, so why not stick with it? Yeah?

Edit: Here's the physics involved:

-geometry -- applies

-motion directions and pull effects -- apply (otherwise normal Toa battles etc. wouldn't work)

-gravity -- applies (Red Star is booster pack to overcome it, etc.)

-too much heat is deadly (half the storyline :P), same with cold

Where is there room for non-real physics to help this? Keep in mind I'm all for non-real physics. However, if it accomplishes NO purpose in this case (that the explanation clearly portrayed in actual canon sources doesn't already solve), why appeal to it? The physics answer can't be a good answer for ANY and all logical contradictions!

You know how Greg has often said they avoid making fun of Bionicle, to avoid robbing it of its epic feel? This is like that. I can't see what this accomplishes other than robbing from the epic feel of the space-related parts of the story and making them just feel nonsensical. And kids know this kind of basics, at least the kind that are often into Bionicle type stories.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 7

As I said in my edited post, Greg has denied your simple Math with Lehvak-Kal before, calling simple math physics.

Logic doesn't make progress, days of interrogation does. With Greg anyways.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry to be blowing this into a huge argument. It doesn't utterly ruin the story forever if they weren't moons, it just throws a lot of previous references out of whack. The situation can be salvaged, though.

The only thing I'm wondering is just... why ask in the first place?

-- Harlan Ellison

Subject Rejection Reason Posted

LEGO General

Was Reysa revived? - Killed by a tentacled monster

Your post is considered inappropriate. Please review the community guidelines for more information.

What!?

I was curious to see if a moon could have a moon, WEEKS AGO. Thats why.

Boidoh wrote:

ScribeGT6817 wrote:

Boidoh wrote:

A while back I asked you if Bota/Aqua Magna revolved around Bara Magna and you said no. Does this mean that they had their own orbit around Solis Magna?

Yes

Was it always this way? Did it at one point orbit Bara Magna but then broke off from its orbit and began orbit around Solis Magna?

To my knowledge, it was always this way, but it's not something the story team ever discussed.

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 2

Subject Rejection Reason Posted
LEGO General
Was Reysa revived? - Killed by a tentacled monster

Your post is considered inappropriate. Please review the community guidelines for more information.

What!?

I was curious to see if a moon could have a moon, WEEKS AGO. Thats why.

Ohhhh.... now it makes sense. Okay. Forgiven. Without context, it sounded like you'd just wondered whether or not they were moons or planets, despite all previous references. (In retrospect, you could have just asked bones, since he seems to know orbital physics out the wazoo. But I guess we can't repeat the past.)

In cases like this, you have access to the context and reasoning behind your question, but Greg doesn't. That's why, whenever I ask questions on the LMB, I always try to include my hypotheses and reasoning, instead of just asking him. (Ex: "Did Makuta Miserix create the Kanohi Dragon? It seems right up his alley.", as opposed to just "Did Miserix create the Kanohi Dragon?" It's a small and trivial example, but it's a simple illustration.)

As for the blocked post, I think the mods took issue with the word "killed". They're inconsistent with that rule, but it happens. Ironically, they might be fine with you saying "Dragged off and presumably eaten by" a tentacled monster. :P

• Upvote 2
-- Harlan Ellison

Also, when I told Greg Yalda's stance on how Lehvak-Kal still SHOULD be in orbit, about how simple inertia shouldn't rip him out and what not, Greg gave the usual physics answer.

Admittedly I've missed some of the context of what you might mean here, but I see no reason for the two subjects to overlap. Whatever happens to Lehvak-Kal doesn't matter -- he could stay in orbit, he could fall, whatever. That is completely variable depending on velocity when he left and various other unknowns like exact position when the reforming happened. This isn't like that. And it doesn't really affect anything -- he's one (relatively obscure by now) character. The results of this could result in deaths of entire populations of Bara Magna, Bota Magna, and (since Year 99,000) Aqua Magna.

I'll probably just use this as evidence for my "there's some kind of power radiating from Bara Magna" idea, though. :P Still...

So, are you saying that it looks like Greg came up with this just to avoid having moons of moons? (If so... er, lol) (There would be no problem with that. When our astronauts went to the moon, their spacecraft orbited the moon. :P Maybe Greg just thought he'd avoid a label confusion, but he's created a MUCH bigger one since canon has called Aqua and Bota moons. Aqua Magna's moon is much more obscure.)

• Upvote 2

See the thing is, I learnt to stop asking those stuff on BZP. The only exception was my 'Vezok Bull Rider' topic. When I first returned back to BZP in July, I asked about if the Toa Nuva are in their Karda Nui forms, a question which could be CANONICALLY answered by Greg rather than hearing non canon fan theories. After I found out about LMB I knew I would never have to go through what seemed to be a never ending back and forth then Lehvak-Kal came. In fact, I'll ask Greg right now what that Rahi was.

Also, do you really think that after spending ALL SUMMER on BS01 editing, making that MLNBC walkthrough, and intensely reading every page, that I wouldn't know that they were moons? It came as a shock to me too, but if Greg says the word, it is so.

Edit: Physics are physics, Greg answers are Greg answers. Greg does what he wants because he has a Masters Degree in comicbook science, not real science.

And no. I don't know what he was thinking. I asked that question as more of a clarification question, to see if the moon had a moon. I don't know about him... He says it was always like that... Nothing you can do really, just ask on LMB and hope for the best. But really isn't it being like this a LOT cooler?

And where did AM's moon come from? I know it exists but what was the origin of it? A LMB post? The sky in MoL?

All I can find is a one liner from MNOGII.

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 1