Official Greg Compendium

See the thing is, I learnt to stop asking those stuff on BZP. The only exception was my 'Vezok Bull Rider' topic. When I first returned back to BZP in July, I asked about if the Toa Nuva are in their Karda Nui forms, a question which could be CANONICALLY answered by Greg rather than hearing non canon fan theories

The problem with that is that asking on BZP first gives people time to think it out and come up with good solutions, then Greg can be told of suggestions with reasons laid out. That's been done several times successfully. :) What you say is good for "this character does X" type questions, but for physics things, it's always better to ask here first. Because notice when Greg does understand something (like if you explain it clearly in the question) he WILL stick to plausible physics a lot.

But really isn't it being like this a LOT cooler?

You mean them being planets and not moons?

Kind of yes, because it's fun to think about why it's nonsensical. :lol:

Otherwise, I can't see what benefit there is, no. I'm open to suggestions. :P Well, I do like the idea of them "somehow" being planets that always stay close and the Bara Magna inhabitants just assume they're moons. And Yalda's idea from the other topic about them only rarely lining up that way but that doesn't really work [Edit: I mean because of not letting the Aqua lock thing work apparently; see below]...

Also, does it mean he's retconning out the old answer about Aqua Magna being tidally locked away? Did the Mata Nui Matoran see Bara and Bota sometimes now? This is probably the most serious problem with it. Physics is physics, but if I face away from you, it can't be that I'm also facing toward you, in Bionicle physics... right? :P

Edit:

And where did AM's moon come from? I know it exists but what was the origin of it?

One of the comics. I believe it was the scene where Vakama revealed "you are not the first Toa". I think.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

If we want to explain them with real-life physics, maybe they could each be at one of Bara Magna's Lagrange points? Based on what we've seen, they'd probably be at L1 and L2, but it sounds like their orbits would be unstable at those points.  :shrugs:

Edited by Infrared

Well why don't we ask him again and lay the reasons out like what we have done since, forever.

Of course, be respectful etc etc.

Problem is, it's so complex, I'm not sure how to do it other than link him to the big post with diagrams I just made (is that even allowed on LMB?), and it can all be much easier explained away with "don't think about it". That actually gets invoked a lot with sci-fi stories (for some reason lol).

Even if you show him what I said, chances are, if he's not into this kind of physics, it still won't be clear enough to him. Heck, some of the possibilities go a bit over even my head; I'm not sure there isn't a "somehow" that would make it work. :P When Greg doesn't get it or it feels complicated, he just falls on "physics apply when I want". I suspect that's what would happen no matter how you go about it.

I would rather people point out that their being moons solved the problem of why they don't crash onto Bara Magna [Edit: And why one side of Aqua Magna was always aimed away], and ask what benefit there is to having them not be moons so that that has to be kept out, and leave it at that. But if somebody wants to try... well, good luck. :P

If we want to explain them with real-life physics, maybe they could each be at one of Bara Magna's Lagrange points? Based on what we've seen, they'd probably be at L1 and L2, but it sounds like their orbits would be unstable at those points.  :shrugs:

I'm not expert on Lagrange points, but my understanding is that is what you'd need under scenario #3 [Edit: I forgot the numbering... that was scenario #4.] Problem is that to get them into a shared orbital circle, just at different points on the circle, SM's pole would have to be tilted like that. At least, that's what you'd need to get the simple explanation of getting the fragments to those positions. But that would leave Bara's pole tilted, having the problems for life, mentioned in the diagram, if not Aqua and Bota, plus SM would have had to be tilted like that from the start. And Spherus/Bara would only have normal days twice a year; other times one spot would be all dark, and the same spot at the other end of the orbit all light, for a long part of the year, except at equator.

I do think the solution needs to work toward that, though, if he doesn't go back to having them simply be moons.

Here's an attempt:

Maybe weird effects of "vaporized EP" could have odd gravimetric effects on the moons after they're blasted away, forcing them into Lagrange points?

That also appeals to going beyond normal physics, like my (now debunked) gravity solution... so... Greg might not go for it. Hard to say. Might make it work, though. That would also solve the cultural-label-moon thing (since they're so big, they might still look like moons).

Wouldn't fix the Aqua tidal locking though. Sigh. That one is hard to fix without it being a moon... Also, there's one comic image, when the gravity attack of Makuta is redirected up to the moons, where Aqua and Bota are shown together, not at Lagrange points. That could work if they orbit each other... but that seems unlikely since they were blasted away. I dunno.

[Edit: In addition to reply to above quote, I think it would also work with a variation on option #3 with the closer points on your linked image, if the safe gravity zone is small enough and the distance far enough from the sun for water. Problem is Greg just nuked the "gravity over earth levels is absorbed" theory, so... I dunno. It could still work, just a little less likely based on the gravity answer. That answer gave no actual math though (wisely IMO), so we can still assume it's small enough for that distance.]

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

You said that the Agori with Lewa are from a jungle/plant tribe, is this THE jungle tribe or a sort of Bota Magna branch?

2. A user on BZP had an interesting theory.

"Well, I guess I can't argue with Greg. I can still try to salvage the UDD symbol, though. What if that symbol wasn't supposed to represent the orbital path of Bota Magna and Aqua Magna around Bara Magna -- what if it was meant to represent the three shards arriving at a point of alignment -- the optimal point of alignment for Mata Nui to reform them and complete his mission?

That... actually makes the UDD symbol even cooler, in my opinion. It wasn't just a reminder of "hey, these are the shards you need to fix sometime", it was a diagram of "the clock is ticking; they'll be aligned like this just once in the next 100,000 years, don't forget". It lends the symbol a great deal of urgency and gravitas.

Alright. I can work with that. "

3. Is Reysa revived?

1) It is the jungle tribe

2) I hesitate to comment on this, simply because everything to do with the UDD symbol came from the story team as a whole, not just me.

3) Reysa died outside of the MU, so would not have gone to the red star

(Source)

Hello Greg.

The recent moon stuff has caused immense backlash in the community. They have said that many canon sources such as the Mata Nui Saga, Journey's End and BIONICLEstory.com described them as moons. Could it be simply poetic license, like how Venus is called the Morning Star?

Unfortunately, expecting me to remember everything that was written more than four years ago us not realistic. If you ask questions, I am going to give the best answers I can based on today, because I don't have time to go back and reread all the old material. Folks are certainly free to keep that in mind.

(Source)

I think it's safe to say they are moons after all, given that they have been portrayed as such in most media. I think the lesson to take from this is that if a question can be adequately answered with old material, it's better to ask the fans who have access to said material before asking Greg who has to use his memory.

Edited by Infrared
  • Upvote 7

Was it confirmed that Aqua Magna only had one side that was water? The tidally locked side?

The opposite -- it was confirmed there's no other (major, at least) landmasses aside from Mata Nui island. Of course, originally that was so (when it was just an ocean on Spherus Magna), but gravity would round it out later, and water seeks a level, so it would spread across the whole sphere.

Bota Magna is confirmed to have plants on only one side, though. You might be thinking of that. But that isn't related to a lock as far as I know.

Infra, interesting turn of events. Hm...

After Greg's latest post, I don't think this argument really needs to be continued. Whether or not they were moons or planets didn't matter to the story team or to Greg. In effect, I think he's admitting he doesn't know what he's doing, and deferring this matter to fans who know orbital physics better than he does (e.g. bonesiii).

Keeping that in mind, I really don't care what we end up saying on BS01, but I think bonesiii's case makes the most sense. If we all agree with that, perhaps we can make the requisite edits, apologize to Boidoh, and bring this whole silly snaffu to rest.

• Upvote 5
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I would advise against entirely ignoring his answer on that basis. At the very least, it does establish, as you said, that exactly what it was must not have been a huge issue to the story team, or he would be more likely to remember it on his own. I'd probably go with a trivia note that their status as literal moons is in question. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

After Greg's latest post, I don't think this argument really needs to be continued. Whether or not they were moons or planets didn't matter to the story team or to Greg. In effect, I think he's admitting he doesn't know what he's doing, and deferring this matter to fans who know orbital physics better than he does (e.g. bonesiii).

Keeping that in mind, I really don't care what we end up saying on BS01, but I think bonesiii's case makes the most sense. If we all agree with that, perhaps we can make the requisite edits, apologize to Boidoh, and bring this whole silly snaffu to rest.

I agree with every word you said.  I think one day we will look back on this with the same embarrassment we feel when looking back at the controversy surrounding Teridax's name.  

And in reference to BS01, this situation is the same as when he said that the masks of fused beings ARE NOT a combination of the individual mask powers of the beings fused.  Because that directly contradicted earlier in story events, we (and presumably the BS01 people) chalked that up to Greg forgeting old stuff.  It is the same here, so I would recommend BS01 continue to refer to them as moons.

Well, Boidoh already made the edits in accordance, that's the trouble. :P I'm not going to revert them unless he agrees to it.

So, @ Boidoh: sorry we all made such a fuss over astronomical bodies in a dead fictional series. No, seriously -- I am sorry.

• Upvote 4
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Double post for relevant story information: I asked Greg a few questions about Kabrua and his Vorox, and was not disappointed. Greg's confirmed that their blasters were given to them by Velika, and that they are not quite the same as the 2009 vehicle set force blasters (awww) -- but more intriguingly, he's also hinted that Velika has minions loyal to him on Spherus Magna.

The Yesterday Quest featured Kabrua and a pack of his Vorox, who had made contact with Velika. They also wielded rare and powerful Core War-era weaponry: blasters, which were capable of launching spheres of explosive force. A few questions about these Vorox.

1. Gelu originally thought the Vorox had contacted a GB (which turned out to be true) because he thought this technology was "beyond the backwards Vorox", but this was before he found out that the Vorox were intelligent. Did Velika give the Vorox these weapons, or did they have them during the Core War and keep them for 100,000 years?

2. Various Bara Magna vehicles seen in 2009 sets and story were equipped with "force blasters", described as having a near-identical function to the weapons wielded by the Vorox. Are the Vorox's blasters and force blasters one and the same?

3. Kabrua also knew of the regression of the Bara Magna Vorox when he encountered Gelu and company, just a few days or weeks after the reformation of Spherus Magna. This surprised Gelu, because of how quickly Kabrua found out. It is possible that Velika gave them this information, but then again, Velika would not really have any reason to know about the Bara Magna Vorox. How did Kabrua find out about the treatment of the Bara Magna Vorox?

Thank you for your time, as always.

1) Yes, he did

2) Based on the same tech, but not exactly the same.

3) Ah, very good question. Here's a hint -- although the GBs had lost contact with Mata Nui, Velika never lost contact with the remnants of Spherus Magna. So he knew a great deal of what was going on through agents loyal to him that no one else in the MU would have known.

• Upvote 4
-- Harlan Ellison

Triple post for even MORE interesting information:

In his latest post on the subject, Greg confirms that some of Velika's Bara Magna agents were characters we met in 2009. (!!!!)

You've just given a tantalizing hint that Velika has had loyal agents/contacts stationed on Bara Magna. My question, then, is a simple one.

Were any of the Bara Magna characters we saw in 2009 acting as informants for Velika?

(Or were most of Velika's contacts just people we didn't meet?)

I think it would be enormously unfair of me to say that and then say that all his agents were people you didn't meet (that seems like a cheat). So yes to your first question.

Place your bets now, people. Maybe there should be a poll on this to see who's the likeliest suspect(s).

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 3
-- Harlan Ellison

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/10921083/highlight/true#M248876

Velika was communicating with beings from Bota and Bara Magna, and throughout the 100,000 year journey.

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

What happened to yonder story serials:

ToaIhu wrote:
Hi Greg,

My question's a bit weird, and please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm just curious.

If you still have the time/LEGO gives you the authority to post canon tidbits about BIONICLE on these message boards, why were the story serials never finished? I only ask because it seems a bit strange that over the course of four years, the actual story serials died, and I understand that you have other writing commitments at LEGO, but this thread has reached 437 pages. Obviously that is by no means all you, as there are thousands of posts by fans like me, too, but you're always able to give detailed and informative answers (which we're all grateful for) to pretty much ever fan question.

So I think my real question is actually, if you were to stop posting in this forum, even for a brief while, would that give you the time to finish the unfinished story serials? Or, now that BIONICLE has been discontinued, does LEGO simply not want you to produce new content?

Many thanks, and I eagerly await your answer,

-Ihu

No offense taken.

First off, I stopped doing the serials some four years ago or so, when my daughter was an infant and I was taking care of her full-time. She is no longer an infant and I only have her half the time, so I have more time.

Second, the people who asked me to do the message boards have nothing at all to do with BIONICLE, now or in the past, so it is apples and oranges in that respect.

Third, it takes a lot less time to answer these questions than it does to write a serial chapter. If I want, I can spend two minutes here and then get back to my day. There is no time limit in which these questions have to be answered.

And fourth, I can't continue the serials without LEGO's okay, and when I have broached the idea, there has been no interest. The story existed to promote set sales, and no sets have been on sale for four years now. They want me focused on current lines.

• Upvote 3

Ibentje wrote:

I had a general wonderment about the names in the Matoran Universe. Are they unique ? Or are they kinda like human names, with multiple Matoran having the same name ?

Good question. So far, we have never seen two Matoran with the same name, and we probably would not do that in story because it would get confusing. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but we would never do that.

Nice to hear actually, it's something I've been wondering this for ages now. -God ###### I need to change my name on the Lego site ._. -

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/td-p/6605180/highlight/true/page/439

Edited by Iben

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

A couple of notes out of here:

5. What happened to the Fire Entity?
5) It will eventually make its way to Spherus Magna

The previous answer - "It was frozen" - made no sense, so glad to get this cleared up. :)

9. Did the Kestora kill any known characters on the Red Star?
9) No

Old theory shot down (or rather, up):

3) Does the Red Star transport beings into it, or does a device in the MU? If it is a device in the MU, does it have a radius of effect, or do the walls of the Mata Nui robot stop it's effect?

3) The RS does it

That could cause other problems, but nothing a good theory couldn't fix, I think.

I'm calling bias here, but it's worth it for the perspective:

XTGNecro wrote:
Some more questions.

1) Were any of the Toa Hagah Matoran before becoming a Toa?
2) Why weren't the other Toa Hagah created as sets? If you know?

1) They all were
2) Because they really weren't playing a central role as Toa in the story. Sets that were really not being featured at all in story tended not to sell well.

(Emphasis mine. :P) Also I guess that's information on the Hagah, for those who want it. :shrugs:

Two posts I thought were interesting. One's already been linked over in the Velika's Agents topic; Greg confirms that the agents do know whom they're talking to, but don't necessarily know his plan for Spherus Magna.

About Velika's contacts on Bara Magna: (these are from a friend, again, edited mildly for clarity here smile.png )

1) Do all the agents know who it is they're informing?

2) How much do the contacts know? Might he trick some people into being informants without telling them he intends to conquer, maybe just pretending to be a normal Great Being?

3) Do they all agree with Velika's philosophy of an iron-fist type of ruler?

1) Who they are talking to? Yes.

2) There is no reason to believe he shared his plans with any of these people. Why would he? They didn't need to know.

3) See answer to #2.

Another post has lots of interesting little goodies. Tiro Canyon, the Motara Desert, and other Mata Nui locales were ("likely") named after Toa, though not necessarily Toa Mangai; all of Tobduk's species can feed off of emotions; and chutes existed in places other than Metru Nui.

1. Given that some locations on the island of Mata Nui were named after the Toa Mangai—Naho Bay and the Mangai Volcano being two examples—would it be safe to assume that other locations on the island (such as Tiro Canyon or the Motara Desert) were named after members of the Mangai as well?
  2. Do all members of Tobduk’s species have the ability to feed off of emotions, and if so, can they feed off of emotions other than anger?
  3. Could a Toa or Turaga of Sonics use their powers to dampen sounds entering their own ears, eliminating their sensitive hearing?
  4. Could an experienced Toa of Fire use his powers to fly (such as launching fire blasts from his feet or hands) or would they need some sort of device to enable flight?
  5. Given that the Vortixx developed the Electro Chute Blade from the technologies of Metru Nui, and that Underwater Chutes connected the city to other places, would Chutes have been utilized in other locations of the Matoran Universe, such as smaller cities?
  6. It was mentioned in The Mutran Chronicles that Metru Nui was led by Turaga during the Matoran Civil War.  When you wrote that entry, did you imagine there being only one Turaga, like Dume, or a group of them?
  7. When you were conceptualizing the character of Marendar, what did you imagine him/it to look like?

1) They were likely named after Toa, but it may not have been from that particular team.

2) Yes and yes

3) Yes

4) No

5) Yes

6) Only one

7) I didn't. I don't think in pictures, I think in words, so I rarely imagine what someone will look like, especially before I actually have them show up substantially in story.

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 3
-- Harlan Ellison

kyle7475 wrote:

Hey Greg:

1) Do you think a Toa would be paralyzed if he broke his spine, or does the physiology of MU inhabitants not work that way?

2) Was Takua--the first matoran created--non-sapient when he came into being, or was he an exception and created sapient? Maybe he could have been the first matoran to 
recieve 
sapience from Velika?

3) Are matoran assigned their names upon creation, or do they have to make it up themselves?

4) Would it be safe to say that all MU inhabitants are protodermis-based lifeforms in the same way that we humans are carbon-based lifeforms?

4a) If so, can we call their DNA equivalent PNA, for protodermic nucleic acid?

1) Good question. I don't know enough about the mechanical set up to be able to answer.

2) Takua was always a little different, because he was the first, so the programming was never quite right with him which is why he didn't sound like the other Matoran from the start.

3) Names are assigned

4) Yes

4a) Up to you.

Link: https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/11002911/highlight/true#M249885

Edited by graywolf89

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually surprised this didn't make it on here, but this sounds like a great source for fanfiction :

Nicholas749 wrote:

Here's a few things that I've given up trying to figure out myself: 

1. I think I already know the answer, but just in case, are the inhabitants of Spherus Magna born with their mechanical implants, or do they gain them later?

2. The Great Beings' plan was that two giant robots needed to put the planet back together. Why didn't they bother to reconstruct the prototype--or even build yet another robot--to ensure that this would be successful? Did they just stop caring? In other words, why did they leave only one functional robot when they knew they needed two?

3. What's the difference between solid protodermis and stone in the Matoran Universe? Is solid protodermis a metal or rock-like material? If the former, then is protosteel simply a much stronger (possibly the strongest) variant of solid protodermis?

Thanks in advance! happy.png

1) They are not born with implants, no

2) We don't know why they never finished the second robot -- or IF they never finished it. We simply know that Mata Nui, realizing he needed one, made us of what was there, which was the prototype. Remember, very little of this plan worked out the way the GBs had planned it. For all we know, the second robot exists somewhere and Mata Nui simply did not know that.

3) Stone in the MU is made of protodermis, so I am not sure how to answer this. Everything inside the robot is made of protodermis.

So actually, there might be a completely different robot out there.

• Upvote 7

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

So a whole other robot could be out there. That could make for a definite twist in the story. I'm a little awestruck at that revelation.

And imagine if it had its own universe of Matoran, Toa, etc. living within it...

• Upvote 3
-- Harlan Ellison

And imagine if it had its own universe of Matoran, Toa, etc. living within it...

No doubt it would. Now if only a Great Being stowed away on board it as well... :P

There are other ways glitches could come about, no doubt, to produce full sapience in the robot's nanotechnology.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Wasn't it mentioned in Journey's End though that the Great Beings never finished the second robot?

I think JE only relates Mata Nui's thoughts on the subject, which could be inaccurate. 

He was armed with the knowledge he needed at last, but staggered by its implications as well.To achieve his mission, he needed his original body, or something close to it. More, the task of reconstructing the planet required the power of not one, but two robots.

There was supposed to be a second one, he realized. The Great Beings were supposed to build another Mata Nui! But they never did … maybe the planet’s end came too fast, or maybe they were killed. And … I can’t do my mission alone. I can’t do what I was created to do.

The part in italics is clearly meant to be Mata Nui's thoughts/theories on the subject. It's pretty clear from other posts that the Great Beings (at least three of them) are alive, so his thinking here is already suspect.

5. Could the Toa Mahri wear normal masks? It seems that tubes are connected to their masks which can cause a problem.

[bones: potential leaked content removed.]

5) No

6) Can you explain what you mean?

Mahri cannot wear normal masks, and he doesn't deny a certain something.

Edited by bonesiii

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

5. Could the Toa Mahri wear normal masks? It seems that tubes are connected to their masks which can cause a problem.

5) No

Interesting. Mind if I post this in my topic from a day or two ago?

Edit: Since you haven't answered yet and I figure it's ok, I'm gonna go ahead and do it (I'll give you credit). Let me know if I'm breaching etiquette or something.

Edited by John Smith
  • Upvote 1

ToaOfVirtues wrote:

So excited! This place might get a bit chaotic, so brace yourself.

So, are you on the story team? I really hope so.

If so, are you allowed to tell us more about the story than what we already know? I can understand if not.

I'm really looking forward to these coming years! Do what you do best!

I was allowed to read over the story bible and provide some input on it, but that has been the extent of my role so far. I did not have a hand in creating the story beyond that.

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/td-p/6605180/highlight/false/page/469

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

You don't have to ask anything. It's public. :P