2014 Set Pictures Released

Plus also the packages imply that this is an underground theme. MEGA FREAKING SUPER HUGE villains in a cramped underground space does not make sense to me at all.

No, the packages clearly show things above ground. The villains are COMING from underground, but you can clearly see cities and buildings in several of the backgrounds. Even blue skies, skyscrapers, and civilians!The sets take place in a place called Antropolis City, according to the product descriptions. The villains are emerging from some kind of rift/crevice there. It's very Pacific Rim. Which is good, because next year's TV special is done by Ghost. You might remember them as the guys who made the old BIONICLE commercials, but they also recently did VFX work for a certain Hollywood blockbuster directed by Guillermo del Toro. ;)

Yes, but the villains come from underground. Am I supposed to believe that there is a MEGA FREAKING SUPER HUGE underground lair for these villains which takes place on a MEGA FREAKING SUPER HUGE planet thing that makes Spherus Magna look like a bowling ball? Because otherwise the planet would probably implode from being too hollowed out. And that is a revolt to the laws of physics - eventually if you make the planet too big, it isn't a soild-ground planet anymore and becomes a gas giant or a star.

It might be an alternate dimension portal like in Pacific Rim. Or maybe there IS a nest or something underground. Who can say? Anyway, they wouldn't have to be MEGA FREAKING SUPER HUGE. The minifigures are about two inches tall, and Splitter Beast seems to be about seven inches tall. If we assume a hero would be about six feet tall in real life, Splitter Beast would be about 21 feet tall — huge, but certainly nowhere near as big as kaiju like Godzilla and the like who are supposed to be living right here on Earth in their respective franchises. Also contrast the largest cave on Earth, which is "262-by-262 feet (80-by-80 meters) in most places". That's enough space that twelve Splitter Beasts could be standing on each other's heads!Note that the majority of the foes next year seem to be small four-legged bugs not much larger than the heroes. The giant monsters seem to be the exception, not the norm, and I can't say for sure that there's more than one of each variety.And when you start bringing up the laws of physics as related to planet formation in a giant monster franchise, you're doing it wrong. Giant monsters aren't the kind of thing you're supposed to take so seriously. They're just a foundation for pulse-pounding sci-fi action stories.

I stand corrected. A change in scale is possible and likely.

LEGO Minifigures Series 14: Hero Factory

Anyway. I am in love with the sets this year - I wish something like this had been done for Bionicle back in the day. The idea of the main characters having to battle against these titanic sized monsters is awesome, and I am loving the new minifigures and mechs. My only complaint is that we have Stormer in two sets, Furno in two sets, and Evo in three sets (two of them being two separate machines) - but there is no sign of Bulk, Nex (again), or Stringer (again) anywhere. To me this feels like a missed opportunity, considering Breez doesn't appear to have her own mech - why not give one of the Evo mechs to Bulk and replace two of the other repeat appearances with Nex and Stringer?

Unless 2014 is going to be similar to 2011 in terms of set structure; six heroes in the winter wave and then six heroes in the summer wave, with three heroes from the winter wave carrying over. That said, I'm hoping the summer 2014 sets are still the mechs and giant beasts, because I don't want this to be a one-time thing. :P

robots made by robots piloting bigger robots made by robots to fight evil robots that were probably also made by robots. perfect.

Nice one, if only it weren't for the face that the villains are most likely organic creatures and not robots, at least by the looks of it. ;)Have I already mentioned that the Hero Factory sets are awesome? Obviously the minifigures are the best part. :P-Gata signoff.png

ah, i see

YES. this line is literally all i've ever wanted from Hero Factory, and i didn't even know it until now. () robots piloting robots aside, there are multiple teal sets. who among us MOCists doesn't want that?

Plus also the packages imply that this is an underground theme. MEGA FREAKING SUPER HUGE villains in a cramped underground space does not make sense to me at all.

No, the packages clearly show things above ground. The villains are COMING from underground, but you can clearly see cities and buildings in several of the backgrounds. Even blue skies, skyscrapers, and civilians!The sets take place in a place called Antropolis City, according to the product descriptions. The villains are emerging from some kind of rift/crevice there. It's very Pacific Rim. Which is good, because next year's TV special is done by Ghost. You might remember them as the guys who made the old BIONICLE commercials, but they also recently did VFX work for a certain Hollywood blockbuster directed by Guillermo del Toro. ;)

Yes, but the villains come from underground. Am I supposed to believe that there is a MEGA FREAKING SUPER HUGE underground lair for these villains which takes place on a MEGA FREAKING SUPER HUGE planet thing that makes Spherus Magna look like a bowling ball? Because otherwise the planet would probably implode from being too hollowed out.

And that is a revolt to the laws of physics - eventually if you make the planet too big, it isn't a soild-ground planet anymore and becomes a gas giant or a star.

You forgot the one thing that last year was created with Dragonbolt. This Giant hole in the middle of herofactory villain storage. So i guess they kinda gave us a clue to 2014, perhaps the brains evolved or were eaten off by some ancient extinct alien race that has been dormant for hundreds of years.

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

robots made by robots piloting bigger robots made by robots to fight evil robots that were probably also made by robots. perfect.

http://cdn.meme.li/i/pkzni.jpgAnyway, Hero Factory looks pretty awesome. Rocka looks like the best, but they really all look great. Probably will pick one up next year.-TNTOS- Edited by TNTOS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Didn't say now. Just felt like they were similar this year.

The heroes this year were pretty similar to one another, but (other than six out of seven being humanoid) the villains were remarkably diverse. Even moreso in 2012, when only slightly more than half of the villains were normal humanoids, and the heroes were pretty unique to boot.

2012 was great, I must say. Do you think there will be more Giant Monsters near summer time?

Hope so. Hope we also get other heroes like Nex, Bulk, and Stringer. And that maybe Breez gets a mech.

Oh man. I hope so too. Stringer is my favorite Hero, and we haven't seen Nex in forever.

Edited by Bionicle Raptor

rawrrrr2.png

I find it depressing that one of the Disney sets is just based around Ariel's attempt to get kissed by the prince. Pity they didn't choose more dynamic scenes from Tangled, because that movie had an excellent strong female hero girls could look up to.

On a more interesting note, those Hero Factory sets are beautiful. I hope to get Splitter Beast, the XL Evo mech, Rocka's stealth machine (I know, more Rocka, but it's a nice mech), and the not pictured Stormer vs. some form of beast set.

And it was only used in Savage Planet once. Yeesh. Plus also the packages imply that this is an underground theme. MEGA FREAKING SUPER HUGE villains in a cramped underground space does not make sense to me at all.

Dude, Ghost is animating next year's episode along with Advance. Do you have any IDEA how freaking amazing that will be? Anyway, 2014 is looking magnificent, maybe just because it's LEGO Pacific Rim, but I just love it. I'll try to get as many sets as I can, they just look so hnnnng wonderful. Flyer Beast will be my first one for sure. Also, Evo XL Machine is awesome. Why? GEARS. THEY BROUGHT BACK GEARS.

THEY BROUGHT BACK THE /GEARS/YES.

Do not trust corrupted memories.

I haven't been this excited for the constraction line since they introduced the standard HF build. This is such a cool concept. I hope that the minifig-sized heroes are good though.

Also, do the small monsters that come with the Hero Mechs remind anyone of the mini-Visorak that came with the old Bionicle play sets? I wonder if they have a jumping function also.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Cool, so it seems like there is a few ideas going on.

First big Pacific Rim vibe coming especially from those monsters

Secondly is LEGO bring back the old miniature styled figures like they did with BIONICLE. I really liked those, they highlighted the compatibliliy BIONICLE parts had with System and this is no exception, good to see LEGO System amongest the HERO Parts

Thirdly, very Exo-Force like but I think this comes back to the first point where it's like Pacific Rim. At the same time, these sets would be much easier for kids to handle than Exo-Force might've been.

Also it's good to see that the sets have something more original than its last two predecessars. Since Hero 2.0 everything has been the same. This is still similiar but it's not quite which is good. I miss the old days where each year would bring in radically different parts that were still compatible.

ViSa1Uz.jpg

As infrequent as I post, I will always continue to be a BIONICLE fan

I haven't been this excited for the constraction line since they introduced the standard HF build. This is such a cool concept. I hope that the minifig-sized heroes are good though. Also, do the small monsters that come with the Hero Mechs remind anyone of the mini-Visorak that came with the old Bionicle play sets? I wonder if they have a jumping function also.

It's been hinted at by a designer on Eurobricks, so probably yes.-Gata signoff.png Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

And it was only used in Savage Planet once. Yeesh. Plus also the packages imply that this is an underground theme. MEGA FREAKING SUPER HUGE villains in a cramped underground space does not make sense to me at all.

Dude, Ghost is animating next year's episode along with Advance. Do you have any IDEA how freaking amazing that will be? Anyway, 2014 is looking magnificent, maybe just because it's LEGO Pacific Rim, but I just love it. I'll try to get as many sets as I can, they just look so hnnnng wonderful. Flyer Beast will be my first one for sure. Also, Evo XL Machine is awesome. Why? GEARS. THEY BROUGHT BACK GEARS.

THEY BROUGHT BACK THE /GEARS/YES.

Yeah, I'm back, so what? Anyway, the top art on those bags is beautiful. Seriously.

3018587.png
Credit be to Strack for my avatar, who I WILL moc one day, the avatar I mean ........
Life is a whole lot of everything-Cleverbot
What What What.-Cleverbot
My steam name is Toa Gears °▲Delta, add me if you wish

Wow, Hero Factory. Can I say that they are trying to be a knock-off Pacific Rim? Also, do the mechs that they pilot seem anything at all like Exo-Force?

I think the resemblance to Exo-Force is simply a matter of efficiency. The torso area, being one of the largest areas of the model, is a good place to cram a minifigure.

You forgot the one thing that last year was created with Dragonbolt. This Giant hole in the middle of herofactory villain storage. So i guess they kinda gave us a clue to 2014, perhaps the brains evolved or were eaten off by some ancient extinct alien race that has been dormant for hundreds of years.

Well, I'd say that's not too likely, since from the product descriptions the setting of next year's sets is entirely different. Which is good in my book — I'm sure I would have gotten bored of another arc set in Makuhero City.

Dude, Ghost is animating next year's episode along with Advance. Do you have any IDEA how freaking amazing that will be? Anyway, 2014 is looking magnificent, maybe just because it's LEGO Pacific Rim, but I just love it. I'll try to get as many sets as I can, they just look so hnnnng wonderful. Flyer Beast will be my first one for sure. Also, Evo XL Machine is awesome. Why? GEARS. THEY BROUGHT BACK GEARS. THEY BROUGHT BACK THE /GEARS/YES.

Good observation! I hadn't even seen the gears on that model! I wonder what kind of function they perform. I'd guess they're connected somehow to the visible bend in the waist.

I haven't been this excited for the constraction line since they introduced the standard HF build. This is such a cool concept. I hope that the minifig-sized heroes are good though. Also, do the small monsters that come with the Hero Mechs remind anyone of the mini-Visorak that came with the old Bionicle play sets? I wonder if they have a jumping function also.

The replacement parts page for the lower section refers to it as "HOPPING GRABBER BASE", and the Walmart.ca product descriptions refer to them as "jumpers", so I'd say yes, they have a similar jumping function.

Yeah, I'm back, so what? Anyway, the top art on those bags is beautiful. Seriously.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I always love getting a good range of art for the characters and sets like this. It's part of the reason I miss the trading cards from LEGO Ninjago — those would have all sorts of epic artwork, including art of nearly every character. Since this year, it's hard even to find a high-quality key visual for each wave.

Well, I'd say that's not too likely, since from the product descriptions the setting of next year's sets is entirely different. Which is good in my book — I'm sure I would have gotten bored of another arc set in Makuhero City.

I was afraid about that too. I'm happier now that they're on a different planet. :)

rawrrrr2.png

Pardon me a moment while I feed the troll. "CHANGE BAD!!! GO BACK TO THE OLD STUFF! ME MISS BIONICLE!!! IT'S ALL BIONICLE ANY WAY!!! PWN!"

Ok, now that that's done lets look at what we got.

Minifig heroes on Mecha? Should Evo be called Exo from now on?

The build involving System and Technic parts promises to up the difficulty. I love that. Putting together action dolls has lost a lot of its luster. I'm curious how the Technic pieces combine so I can make the HF sets 100% compatible with my old Bionicle sets. It's about 90% but the old Toa heads and masks just don't match up.

Too bad the under dweller creatures don't have an action like a flip button. You something that make them jump on the Heroes and add to the menace.

I'm also curious what those compartment in back are for.

I'm well past my 'gotta have them all' phase with HF/Bionicle. I get a couple, three on the outside, if I can do something with them. I think I'd like the Furno set in this wave and see what the second has to offer when Surge, Bulk, and Stringer have their turn.

"Honor those the dragons heed, in thought and favor, word and deed"

"Worlds are lost and worlds are saved, from those dangers dragons brave"

qs3174.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the Hero Factory sets for the coming year bear a striking resemblance to Pacific Rim (Also of note is the name Invasion from Below, in Pacific Rim the aliens arrived from under the ocean) but this doesn't seem all too bad to me, after all the sets look rather impressive and the Hero Minifigs look rather well made, so I'm looking forward to it.

On a side note, it also seems to be akin to Exo-Force, which I personally liked quite a lot so I'm doubly happy about this new wave!

~Xetra

Avatar image provided by Shattered Mask Productions

I am going to try to get as many as poss. of HF for this wave, so I can make some sort of HF coffee shop with them in it.

3018587.png
Credit be to Strack for my avatar, who I WILL moc one day, the avatar I mean ........
Life is a whole lot of everything-Cleverbot
What What What.-Cleverbot
My steam name is Toa Gears °▲Delta, add me if you wish

Man. I haven't gotten any HF sets in a long while; none this year at all. Not because I don't like the present sets per se, I just have consistently found cooler things to spend money on. But these...these are so ingenious and unique and I really want them. I'll try my best to get one each of the hero minifigs. Flyer Beast and Splitter Beast, at least, are must-haves. Teal!

AXKP5KC.png

After looking at the HF sets a bit more, I am a bit disappointed that they did not go with Exo-Force arms for the minifigs like they did with the later Bionicle playsets. I do really appreciate having those extra joints.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

After looking at the HF sets a bit more, I am a bit disappointed that they did not go with Exo-Force arms for the minifigs like they did with the later Bionicle playsets. I do really appreciate having those extra joints.

These arms may be less articulated but at least they have an additional connection point. ;)-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Well I believe this year I will go without buying any of these sets. This idea is interesting, but it takes the concept too far away from that of Bionicle's for me to be interested.

I dunno, seems to me like that should be the whole point. The entire reason Hero Factory "replaced" (for lack of a better term) BIONICLE is to introduce a new build system for constraction figures. Personally I think it's great that we're getting something never offered by the BIONICLE line.

BZPRPG

I'm of mixed feelings about the arms. I'd love if the hands were articulated... but at the same time, they improve on the Exo-Force arms in a couple respects, such as that they're less bulky and they have connection points on the forearms (things could attach to the forearms of Exo-Force arms, of course, but not at the same time as hands were inserted into the wrists).Thankfully, Exo-Force arms come in a lot of colors thanks to the Brain Attack sets. So you could theoretically replace the arms of the Rocka, Stormer, Furno, and Evo minifigures with Exo-Force arms if you want. You could do the same with Bulk, Surge, Nex, and Stringer if it turns out they're included in the summer wave, though sadly you can't for Breez (since Exo-Force arms have never come out in Bright Yellowish Green). Of course, in practice this might not work as well, since the shoulder clip of the Exo-Force arms is extremely bulky and might collide with the shoulder armor in some poses.

Well I believe this year I will go without buying any of these sets. This idea is interesting, but it takes the concept too far away from that of Bionicle's for me to be interested.

Didn't BIONICLE have a mecha vs. giant monster battle as the climax of its second year? And minifigure-based sets from 2005-2007? I agree the sets and story are very different from BIONICLE, but they ALWAYS have been, and this series doesn't make the difference much greater than it's been in the past. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I actually think that this year is the closest HF has come to Bionicle. They're mixing more technic in, much more like Bionicle. As opposed as to the purely ball-joint build of the past several years.

I actually think that this year is the closest HF has come to Bionicle. They're mixing more technic in, much more like Bionicle. As opposed as to the purely ball-joint build of the past several years.

Well, I don't think it's a definite trend. Evo XL Machine has a lot of Technic-based stuff in his build (even a Makuta-like gear function), but so did Witch Doctor and every one of the vehicle sets. The beast sets don't have a lot of Technic, nor do the smaller machines (Furno Jet Machine only uses Technic to attach the jets, lights, and back cylinders — the skeleton, although very rigid, is almost entirely made from Hero Factory beams).I'd actually say Brain Attack had a lot more Technic in even the smaller sets. All the heroes had very Technic-based weapons, and many of the sets had Technic-based action features. Frost Beast even had a Technic-based torso skeleton.

Well, since I had so much fun trying to reverse engineer Rocka's jetpack in the summer before it came out, I've been attempting to build Evo's XL Machine. Though many pieces don't appear as nice in 3D as in the image (like the legs), a lot of it looks great. And I count 3 XT-4 torsos. The really small ones that are actually really good for MOCing. One in each arm (that's where the ball joint that's sticking up is coming from), and one behind the cockpit. I may have to pick this guy up, also for the gear functions.

Speaking of the gear functions, I haven't figured out what they do yet. It appears they run up the back though. Perhaps it has something to do with that strange canister.

As for the rest of the sets, I'm undecided how much I like this new direction. It seems to take a little too much inspiration from Pacific Rim, especially with those monsters. The minifig heroes look really cool, but I wish they had turning wrists, studs on their hands (look at all those sets and tell me it wouldn't be useful), and smaller heads (but then again, I can't wait to use some of those for an exo suit design or something). A lot of the mechs are well designed, if different, but I actually like the concept. It's a great new way to use the constraction figure idea.

I also took a look at the other themes. Ninjago is an interesting case. It's pretty much abandoned all sense of the ancient, mystical appearance that it had when it started, now going for a totally futuristic, almost anime look. Besides that (although it does kind of bug me, even if there hasn't been much of that feel for a few waves now), I really like the designs. They do manage to create a really cool, futuristic universe, and I really like that Ninjacopter. The story sounds interesting. It appears that a scientist created a race of "Nindroids," probably based off of Zane, as well as four blades that turn anything into a robot. The ninjas are trying to get the blades back, but the Nindroids still manage to convert Sensai Wu, a dragon, and probably some other stuff. I think in the product descriptions it also said that they got their vehicles by using the swords on civilian vehicles. I wonder which of them had a mech...

And I'm still trying to decide if "Kai Fighter" is a ripoff of TIE fighter. :P

A lot of new pieces are being featured this year as well. Of course, there's all the Hero Factory stuff, but some other pieces I found of note are Cinderella's carriage wheels (yeah, I looked at the princess stuff), that little spiral piece on the top of Rapunzel's tower (probably not new, looks like the top of a cupcake), and the new small wheels in the excavator set. And did anyone else notice that they're bringing back those mini Creator sets? Looks like they'll be in boxes rather than canisters this time. They actually have some really good building techniques and make good use of newer pieces. I may pick one up.

Speaking of the gear functions, I haven't figured out what they do yet. It appears they run up the back though. Perhaps it has something to do with that strange canister.

People keep mentioning gear functions and I keep looking for gears in the images and I just don't see them. All I can see is the black gear on the front of Evo's mech that looks like it just swings the torso around (like the Rahkhsi/Vahki). So... where are these gears you all speak of?

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

And I'm still trying to decide if "Kai Fighter" is a ripoff of TIE fighter. :P

Could be. The set designers do have a sense of humor with the set names, such as "Garmatron" (both a play on the name "Garmadon" and an homage to old-school LEGO Space themes).

People keep mentioning gear functions and I keep looking for gears in the images and I just don't see them. All I can see is the black gear on the front of Evo's mech that looks like it just swings the torso around (like the Rahkhsi/Vahki). So... where are these gears you all speak of?

The gear on the front of Evo's mech does, in fact, swing the torso around. That's the gear function everyone's referring to. It works with a small 28-tooth Technic turntable (an assembly of parts 99009 and 99010).My brother's managed to mostly build Evo XL Machine on LDD. Of the parts that aren't new, there are just four unaccounted for (probably built into the interior of the model).

Finalized pics have finally shown up for the other two Hero Factory sets for the first wave! These will apparently be priced at $9.99 (the smallest Hero Factory price point from this year), so they're considerably smaller than any of the other sets. But they're still quite clever designs.44015 Evo Walkerevowalkercgi.jpg44016 Jaw Beast vs. Stormerjawbeastcgi.jpgEvo Walker offers the "jumpers" in all three colors, 5M shells in Bright Yellow, and a completely custom build. Jaw Beast has 3M beams in Transparent Light Blue, a printed 3M black shell, some nice new feet, and some Medium Lilac spikes. Each includes a minifigure with a communications device.

The Evo one looks cool - the design isn't humanoid, and looks good for roleplay with the jumpers. Plus that saw thing in Evo's hand.

The other not so much, but purple.

Also note that the Stormer fig looks better than I thought it was - that set pic gives me a better look at that fig design. Those aren't standard fig legs or arms. Looks like a new part.

The Evo one looks cool - the design isn't humanoid, and looks good for roleplay with the jumpers. Plus that saw thing in Evo's hand. The other not so much, but purple. Also note that the Stormer fig looks better than I thought it was - that set pic gives me a better look at that fig design. Those aren't standard fig legs or arms. Looks like a new part.

That the fig parts are unique should have been apparent from many of the pics, particularly the package for 44021. The only pre-existing minifigure parts the Hero Factory figs use are skeleton bodies under their armor and classic minifigure heads under their helmets. The arms and legs are new parts, with connection points for rockets (in Breez's case) and communications devices (in Evo's and Stormer's cases).I was surprised that Evo Walker not only isn't humanoid, but isn't even based on a humanoid torso beam. I had expected it to use a 5x6 or 7x9 torso beam horizontally, but nope, it's completely custom and made from assorted beams.I'm not sure how to feel about this. While I love non-traditional builds (like Thornraxx), I think a rigid torso beam would have made the set a lot sturdier. I feel like a lot of parts of this set will be wobbly, specifically the cockpit, which is attached to the back leg rather than to the "body".On a side note, Splitter Beast has grey 4M beams! I can't tell you how many times I've wished those came in that color.

Wow. I just noticed from the art on Splitter Beast's bag that what I assumed was a weird staff is just property damage. The fact that they would just include an uprooted streetlight like that is pretty new. They don't usually add things like that in constraction sets.

Also Jaw Beast looks fantastic. Its colors are just beautiful.

AXKP5KC.png