Battle on the Silver Seas

Burnmad

Battle on the Silver Seas

Welcome to Battle on the Silver Seas, a team-based strategy game where players each command their own warship, searching for treasure and sinking the enemy on behalf of their side!

THEME
Battle on the Silver Seas is set in an obscure part of the Matoran Universe in an alternate reality where makuta, toa, turaga, and rahi alike form alliances in order to gather the most of precious treasure that has been discovered on remote islands: powerful masks, mysterious weapons, and new metals.

BASICS
Once we have ten or more players and I am ready to start, the players are semi-randomly (active members will be evenly distributed) divided between the two teams. Then each player designs and names their ship and picks a First Mate to bring onboard. When play begins, players can either move, attack, mine treasure, repair, or hitch another ship each round. The object of the game is for your team to have more treasure in the end than the other team.

MAP

Here is a link to the game map. You can also see it in the spoiler tag below, although the forum may compress it a bit. As you can see, each of the hexes on the map are numbered (xxyy, xx being the column number and yy being the row number, and the first column and row are 00). When you move, you name the hex you are located at and the hex you are moving to.

silverseas.jpg

After each round I will make a post saying where all the ships are located. I will not frequently repost the image with the ships plotted. If you wish to do so to visualize things better, you can copy and paste the image into Paint and then draw or type the ship number of each ship in the hex it is located, making Red Team numbers in red, and Blue Team numbers in blue. The Red Team's homebase is the desert hexes at the bottom of the map, the Blue Team's homebase is the forest hexes at the top of the map. Ships start the game docked at their base.

DESIGNING YOUR SHIP
You have 28 points you can assign to ship features. When the teams are formed and it is time to design your ship, simply post your list of chosen features, ship name, and First Mate (you are the Captain) in the topic.

[ship Features]

Movement Ability:
(Choose only one of the below.)

H1 = Your ship may move 1 hex each round = 0 points.
H2 = Your ship may move 2 hexes each round = 5 points.
H3 = Your ship may move 3 hexes each round = 10 points.
H4 = Your ship may move 4 hexes each round = 15 points.

Cargo Hull Size:
(Choose only one of the below.)

C0 = Your ship may not hold treasures = 0 points.
C1 = Your ship may hold 1 treasure at a time = 1 point.
C2 = Your ship may hold 2 treasures at a time = 5 points.
C3 = Your ship may hold 3 treasures at a time = 10 points.
C4 = Your ship may hold 4 treasures at a time = 14 points.
C5 = Your ship may hold 5 treasures at a time = 15 points.

Ship Guns:
(Choose as many of each as you want and can afford.)

S5 = This gun can fire 1 hex away and will hit 5/6 of the time = 10 points.
S4 = This gun can fire 1 hex away and will hit 4/6 of the time = 7 points.
S3 = This gun can fire 1 hex away and will hit 3/6 of the time = 5 points.
S2 = This gun can fire 1 hex away and will hit 2/6 of the time = 3 points.
S1 = This gun can fire 1 hex away and will hit 1/6 of the time = 2 points.
L5 = This gun can fire 2 hexes away and will hit 5/6 of the time = 12 points.
L4 = This gun can fire 2 hexes away and will hit 4/6 of the time = 10 points.
L3 = This gun can fire 2 hexes away and will hit 3/6 of the time = 7 points.
L2 = This gun can fire 2 hexes away and will hit 2/6 of the time = 5 points.
L1 = This gun can fire 2 hexes away and will hit 1/6 of the time = 3 points.

[ship Name]
If you are on Red Team, your ship name begins with RTS, for Red Team Ship. If you are on Blue Team, your ship name begins with BTS, for Blue Team Ship. Then there is the actual name of the ship, which is your choice, but a name that could make sense in the matoran universe is recommended. Finally, there is the ship number. If, for example, your team has 6 members, you can choose any number not yet taken between 1 and 6. First come, first serve.

Examples:
RTS Blue Bohrak 4
BTS Ice Nova 2

[Characters]
Then you may pick one of the First Mates from the list below, which grant your ship extra abilities. These characters are also first come, first serve. If all are chosen, your ship does not start with a character. Once one is chosen you must pick a different one. Though there is a traditionally toa and makuta aligned character for each ability, there is no requirement that all the members of a team choose good or bad characters.

Increases Hull Size by 1 Treasure:

- Onua "This master of caves is your perfect mining expert."

- Panrahk "His explosive abilities make treasure finding a blast."

Makes it Take an Extra Hit to Destroy Your Ship's Last Gun:

- Pohatu "An expert in naval armory, his ships' hulls are rock solid."

- Kurahk "Experienced at making the enemy make rash decisions."

Makes it Take an Extra Hit to Sink Your Derelict Ship:

- Gali "She has received many accolades in healing, and she can heal your sinking ship."

- Lerahk "It will be hard to come near for the finishing blow with poison surrounding your ship."

Allows Your Ship to Tow Derelict Ships at H2 Speed:

- Lewa "Will ensure there is always wind in your sails."

- Infected Metru Nui Fishing Bird "It doesn't say much, but it always knows which way the wind is blowing."

Increases Movement Ability by 1 Hex Every Other Round:

- Vakama "Comrades say he is very wise, and that includes wisdom of currents."

- Infected Tarakava "It swims the best route."

Adds 1/6 to the Chance of Worst ("worst" by point value, between two of equal value, applies to L over S guns) Gun Hitting:

- Kopaka "Known throughout the area for his excellent vision."

- Vorahk "He is good at gaining power, and great at directing it towards the enemy ship."

Subtracts 1/6 from the Chance of Best ("best" by point value, between two of equal value, applies to S over L guns; if multiple ships attack, ship randomly chosen) Enemy Gun Hitting:

- Takanuva "For some reason, many enemy gunners have cases of lasting eye damage after facing ships with him onboard."

- Turahk "Gunners facing this First Mate often develop confidence issues during the battle."

Allows You to Choose to Scuttle Your Derelict Ship to Prevent if from Falling into Enemy Hands:

- Tahu "Professional pyromaniac."

- Guurahk "Always knows the right place to poke a 'hole.'"

GAMEPLAY
Each round, you may choose to either attack, move, hitch (onto a derelict ship in order to tow it), repair, or mine treasure. I will PM you before the first round. You should use that message chain to send in your choices. State what you are doing first and then provide the necessary details.

[Attack]
- To attack, give the full title (team prefix, name, and number) of your target. Your target must be in range (per its location in the last round's results) of at least one of your remaining guns. You can fire at ships in the same hex as you. If multiple enemy ships are in range, you can shoot at them both with different guns, but you must specify which gun is shooting at which target.
- You may fire at ships docked (see Move) at the 5 islands in the center of the board, but not those docked at their homebase. Ships docked at islands can attack. Ships docked at homebases cannot.
- When determining if a ship is in range, keep in mind you may fire over (through) the peach/orange/sand-colored beach hexes to ships on the opposite side, but not over the gray mountain hexes or green jungle hexes. You may fire from or directly into a gray or green hex, however. See this picture.
- I will roll a six-sided die for each gun to determine if they hit. For every hit, your target will lose one of its own guns after the round is over. The guns are taken off starting with the lowest point-valued gun, if two guns have equal value then L guns are removed first.
- If a ship that has lost all of its guns or had no guns to begin with is hit, it is derelict. Another hit will sink it.
- When a ship is sunk, if there is a character still onboard he is killed, and all treasure onboard is destroyed.
- If a ship is sunk while towing a derelict ship, the derelict ship is simply left unhitched to anything in the same hex.
- When determining the round results I will resolve attack actions prior to the other actions.

[Move]
- If you choose to move, give the number of the hex you are coming from and the hex you are going to.
- You do not have to move the full distance permitted you by your ship design and character.
- You may move onto any silver sea hex, or dock, by moving onto any hex that touches a silver sea hex (the coasts). If you wish to move up or down the coasts, you must undock and dock again into the next coastal hex. Note that since docking/undocking is just a normal move action the enters or exits a coastal hex, if you have a move of H2 or more, you can undock from one coastal hex and dock again in the next coastal hex in a single round.
- While a ship is docked at its homebase, it may drop off its character there. It can be picked up by the same ship or another allied ship later. While 2 ships are docked at their homebase, they may agree to swap characters. However, there may not be more than 1 character on a ship at a time. Dropping or off or swapping characters between docked ships does not require an additional round.
- If your ship is derelict, it cannot move on its own.
- If your ship is towing a derelict ship, it may only move 1 hex at a time unless a character allows otherwise.

[Hitch (and Unhitch)]
- If you are in the same hex as a derelict ship (friend or foe), you may choose to hitch it onto your ship. Give the full title of the derelict ship. Now it is attached to your ship and they move as one. To unhitch it also takes a round.
- If a derelict ship is brought back by the other side to their homebase, and docked there, it is captured, and becomes one of their ships. A new player may join the game to take command of it or an old player from the same side whose earlier ship was sunk may take command. However, it must be repaired before it can return to sea.
- If there is a character aboard a captured ship, it is killed upon docking. All treasure onboard goes to the treasury of the capturing nation.
- When a ship docks with a derelict ship in tow into a homebase, it is considered unhitched.

[Repair]
- Ships docked at homebase (by moving onto a homebase hex, which requires a move action on a previous round) may repair. Also, derelict ships (whether dragged home by their original team or captured) may be repaired there.
- If derelict, the first repair action restores the ship to functional condition but does not restore any of the original guns. Once not derelict, each repair action restores a gun, starting with the highest point-valued gun, ties given to S guns.
- Each repair action takes 1 treasure away from the repairing team's treasury.

[Mine Treasure]
- To mine treasure, your ship must first be docked at one of the 5 islands in the center of the board.
- After an island is mined for the first time, the amount of treasure there is announced in the round results.
- When you mine treasure, your ship's treasure capacity is brought to full (assuming there is enough treasure left) and the amount taken subtracted from the amount on the island.
- When you dock at your homebase, your treasure is offloaded and transferred to your team's treasury.

After each round, I will announce what each ship did, what guns were lost and ships were sunk if any, and perhaps even write a little story (as in mafia games) to summarize some of the action.

WINNING
When all the treasure is back at the homebases, or when all of one team's ships are sunk, the game is over. The team with the most treasure in their treasury wins. In the unlikely event of a tie, it is resolved by whichever team has the last ship floating.

PLAYER LIST
If you have any questions or something is confusing, I will be more than happy to walk you through the game. See you on the Silver Seas!

We have started, but additional players may still join in sets of two, one going to each team. Therefore, if you want to join, recruit someone else to join with you. Later on, the addition of more players will require consent from both teams.

RED TEAM

-JL-

RTS Space Yark Doge of Destiny 1

First Mate: Lerahk

Speed: H4 Cargo: C3

Guns: L1

Valendale

RTS Ultra Glacier 2

First Mate: Pohatu

Speed: H1 Cargo: C2

Guns: S3, L1, L1, L5

Blade: #XIII. Roxas

RTS Red Lightning 3

First Mate: Takanuva

Speed: H4 Cargo: C2

Guns: S2, L2

Kamikez

RTS Maskswift 4

First Mate: Infected Tarakava

Speed: H3 Cargo: C2

Guns: S4, L2

Shadowhawk

RTS Marauder 5

First Mate: Infected Mata Nui Fishing Bird

Speed: H3 Cargo: C0

Guns: L1, L1, L5

Pulse

RTS Heartlight 6

First Mate: Gali

Speed: H3 Cargo: C2

Guns: S4, L2

Fishers64

RTS Fishing Boat 7

First Mate: Vakama

Speed: H4 Cargo: C1

Guns: S1, S1, S1, S2, L1

BLUE TEAM

Burnmad: Toa of Emoticons

BTS Incendiary 1

First Mate: Turahk

Speed: H2 Cargo: C1

Guns: L4, L5

Portalgif

BTS Kakama 2

First Mate: Onua

Speed: H3 Cargo: C5

Guns: S2

Canis Lycaon

BTS Iron Wolf 3

First Mate: Kurahk

Speed: H4 Cargo: C1

Guns: L5

Man of Miracles

BTS Black Takea 4

First Mate: Lewa

Guns: S5, L5

Toa Onaku

BTS Harvest 5

First Mate: Kopaka

Speed: H3 Cargo: C5

Guns: S2

Punished Snake

BTS Metal Gear RAY 6

First Mate: Tahu

Guns: S1, S2, S2, S4, S4

ShadowVezon1

BTS ShadowVezon 7

First Mate: Panrahk

Speed: H2 Cargo: C2

Guns: S3, S4, L2, L2

Edited by Toarobot18

nban.jpg

Credit to Zeddy! ------------------- Click the banner above!

And please also enjoy my other fine comedies:

The Bionicle Entrepreneur - Nuva Join the Navy - Toy Wars - A Comedy of Comics

Welcome, Shadowhawk.

Canis, when I originally wrote the rules awhile back, I used turns/rounds interchangeably. I edited out almost all references to "turn" and replaced them with "round," but I appear to have missed one, so I just fixed that. There are no turns or other subunits, just rounds. Each round every ship can do one action: attack, move, hitch/unhitch, repair, or mine. We keep having rounds until the game ends.

nban.jpg

Well, the current Games & Trivia rules do not seem to require that you are actually one of the playing members of the game, so I thought I would leave that decision up to you. All the summer RPGs going on, you know.

Added.

nban.jpg

Yes. Yes, it should. However, I am currently somewhere in Indiana with limited time for starting it, so I'll give it at least another day. 10 players is the minimum, not necessarily the optimum.

nban.jpg

Welcome to the game, ShadowVezon.My power is out at my house, so it could still be another day or two before I announce teams. However, in the interests of starting as soon as I am available, if any additional players wish to join between now and then, they need to recruit a second player to keep the total number even so we can have even teams, or risk losing their spot.

nban.jpg

TR has asked me to post the team lists for him so he needn't double-post.

RED TEAMValendaleKamikez-JL-Blade: #XIII. RoxasPulseShadowhawkBLUE TEAMProtalgifCanis LycaonShadowVezon1Punished SnakeMan of MiraclesBurnmad: Toa of Emoticons

My ship, as an example.

BTS Incendiary 1

-Captain: Burnmad

-First Mate: Turahk

-H2

-C1

-L5

-L4

- :burnmad: