Great Being Theory Part 2

Before the data loss, there was a topic called the 'Great Being theory'. A lot of people on BZPower came up with many great ideas for the BIONICLE storyline. Such as the whereabouts of Marendar (the Toa killing Robot) and a group of rogue Great Beings. I've been brainstorming my ideas about the identity of a Great Being as a character, and as a set. I know many of you would strongly disagree and prefer the Great Beings as a mystery, but what if the Great Beings existed as bio-mechanical like the Glatorian and the Agori? As a set, they would be built as Giant Agori-like or Giant Glatorian-like with the same set pieces (Bionicle and Lego) enlarged. 2x times, 4x times or 6x times bigger than the original (If LEGO has a special computer to change the size of the LEGO/BIONICLE/TECHNIC set pieces).

They would have their armor worn but they would also wear their robes similar to the Turaga, like they were wizards or timelords?

What do you guys think?

Edited by bohrokmaster

Well, in my head canon I consider the GBs as 100 organic. My reason for this is that they wear clothes. Agori and Glatorian don't wear clothes because they have armor over their fleshy bits. Matoran are mostly robotic, so again they don't need clothes. So the only reason I can think the GBs wear clothes is to hide their naughty bits. I also consider them to be between glatorian and matoran size, maybe a foot taller than turaga. So I don't think we need x2 or x4 size. The most likely reason we never got a set for the GBs is that if they are organic a set would be hard to make. Organic pays in bionicle have always been made of rubber, krana, kraata, Inika kanohi, spines, etc. How could you possibly make a bionicle set out of all rubber?

The Glatorian/Agori do wear clothes between their clothes and their armor. Otherwise, the hot desert heat would fry their skin right off.

Anyway, I think GBs would wear ordinary clothes and be ordinary size. I think the clothes would depend on what they do - tinkering GBs would not wear long robes, lady GBs sitting at desks would wear skirts or slacks or whatever, professor GBs would wear the long robes and yak about protodermis theory and societal deconstruction...etc. (Okay maybe not societal deconstruction... :shrugs:)

It's probably better to picture a society centered on learning and achievement, oriented toward creation of new things, and then imagine what would come off that. Like a culture of Research and Development.

Edited by fishers64

"While lacking the raw physicality of many of their creations, Great Beings have greater ethereal powers. They are able to manipulate many facets of their creations, and can appear invisible to them at will, as well as being able to communicate to them across dimensions. The Great Being that was driven insane and locked away had the power to freeze temporal space around subjects." http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Great_Beings

Personally, I think of Great Beings as being like pseudo-humans. I know they're not human, but I still think of them a bit like us, maybe with a Glatorian-esque face. So almost as tall as a Toa/Glatorian, and organic (of course some may easily be biomechanical). I see them wearing elaborate clothes, usually with hoods in my head (because I don't know what their face looks like). I imagine that their abilities and powers are all technological, it would make their creations seem more important. I guess their "powers" to MU beings is because they made them so they've built in control over them.

I guess if they were ever made into sets, they would have to be armoured GBs, so you could make them normally (maybe pieces though many hydraulics though)

I don't think they are necessarily bigger than the Glatorian/toa, but as for their structure I would say purely organic. Their garb would likely consist of a mixture of wizardlike robes and sci-fi tech (asgard in the Thor movies, for instance). I also imagine that their longevity is akin to elves, being unable to age to death (But not immortal). I don't think there are really a lot of GBs, or at least not enough to make a society out of.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: chimoru2015spinnie.gif

Credit to Click for the awesome Bionicle 2015 spinnie!

For some reason, I always thought of the Great Beings as being like humans, with some minor differences in physiology and a lot more advancements in technology. We've never really seen a Great Being, so I always think of them as wearing cloaks.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I feel like the GBs would look like some powerful ancient race like Elves or Protoss and then have wizard-y robes and energy/golden armor.

"EXTERMINATE"-Dalek #1 to #3458271

If you have a self MOC you would like me to build just PM me and I'll make it as long as I have the pieces.

3DS Friend Code: 4699-6562-6279

Pokemon Y safari: Audino, Dunsparce and Chansey

• 2 weeks later...

The implications are that the Great Beings existed before the Agori/Glatorian (and Skrall) really developed as a sapient culture. Angonce is stated to have taken a great interest in them, and so you might theorize he and other GBs could have meddled in their development, but there aren't any direct confirmations of that. What is known is that the GBs offered biomechanical implants for the Agori/Glatorian, and also modified the Vorox and Zesk (we don't know if they had the tribe's permission or not).

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

But they could be relatives to the Agori/Glatorian? As they were native beings of Spherus Magna before Bara Magna and the other two 'moons' broke apart.

"Native" may be assuming too much; I believe they were described as "coming" -- and whether that means coming from another planet or coming into existence, I dunno. I think this may be one of those things that was answered in other topics but I've forgotten lol.

But as far as I know, yes, it's possible they're just relatives. For example, they might be the titan class of the other tribes, whereas only the titan class of the Skrall did not join them (Tuma being now the only survivor). Or they might be an entirely separate tribe, a more creative one. What we know is they didn't really become the GBs as we know them until their encounter with Annona.

I personally lean toward one of these two explanations, versus interstellar travel, but only leaning. The fact that they proved capable of building an interstellar spaceship (the giant robot) could be evidence that they had perhaps crash-landed here long ago from one, so retained memory of how to do it. On the other hand, they did make a prototype that didn't work, so maybe it was simply learned through careful experimentation. But that's part of what makes them still so cool -- that it's still a mystery where they originally come from, so I'm fine with not knowing... for now at least. :P Admittedly the "aliens" explanation would open up more future story potential.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think that the Great Beings would have originally been 100% organic, but they would have outfitted themselves with some of the technology they used to create their robots, if only for their own protection (after all, their creations have gone rogue before).

I see them as being scientist/engineers, like the Makuta.

I think that they're native to the world, personally.

Edited by BobaFett2

The Legend Lives...

I always imagined the continuation of Bionicle being another flashback like with the Toa Metru and Toa Hordika only this time going even farther back, to a time before The Shattering (breaking of Spherus Magna) to a time I call the god wars. The idea is that it is a war between the great beings which are not that different from normal toa or glatorian, just way more powerful. On the one side Mata Nui led the battle against the darkness which was secretly headed by Makuta who was acting as a double agent. Also on the side of light where Toa Lhikan and Toa Dume who, together with Mata Nui, made the War Council. The giant robot was one of three however one two were destroyed (one vaporized the other scattered across the planet to later be rebuilt by Mata Nui on Bara Magna). These giant robots were created to end the war, one for each of the war council, however as the others were destroyed Mata Nui was the only one to transfer into his, leaving Dume and Lhikan to hitch a ride inside. Dume transforms into a turaga to lead the matoran and Lhikan stays to protect them. Meanwhile Mata Nui in his new body narrowly misses The Shattering (which was caused by the spear of fusion) with Makuta secretly hiding on board.

Edited by matanui606

matanui606, that sort of thing isn't what S&T is for; if you want to come up with detailed events as if telling a story outline, it belongs in the Library (but as a written story).

On the off chance you aren't aware, Mata Nui, etc. are not Great Beings, several of the beings you mention like Makuta or Toa Lhikan were either not in existence yet (in Lhikan's case, definitely not a Toa), or in any case had nothing to do with the Shattering, and we know roughly what caused that. I'd recommend spending time catching up on these things on biosector01. :) (Assuming you didn't change things on purpose, which is fine for fanfics but not theories.)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Y'know, I never really imagined the Great Beings as physical entities. Basically like massive powerful spirits who manipulated worlds and created things. This was before I saw images of the cloaked humanoids in the comics. From that point on, I felt like that's what they are. Mysterious, silent, cloaked entities who wield the power of creation. I like to keep a bit of the mystery in these mythical beings.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

• 3 weeks later...

The Glatorian/Agori do wear clothes between their clothes and their armor. Otherwise, the hot desert heat would fry their skin right off.

It says on page 57 of "Raid on Vulcanus", it says "It was a cold night, even for Bara Magna, and the wind cut through his [Ackar's] armor like a rusty blade." It doesn't say anything about clothes, unless Greg naturally assumed that someone would think clothes also. You say specifically the hot desert heat, which is most likely in the daytime, not night, but I can't imagine they wouldn't leave their clothes on for the night to keep warm. To sum up my past paragraph, I pretty sure they don't wear clothes. :)

As to the actual question of the topic, I kinda imagined them to be like gods. Big and powerful looking and mostly (if not all) organic, which would make it hard to make them into a set. If Bionicle was still releasing sets, I would strongly prefer great being sets not to be made, so as not to shatter anyone's imagination of them.

Well obviously they play with Bionicles to relax :P

"I'm bored. I'm gonna create a new species of rahi. *brings out gigantic bin of spare parts*

1 hour later: The entire MU is populated by the new species carnivorous bio-mechanical eating rahi. "AHHH! USED WRONG PERSONALITY CHIP!"

Edited by Oryx

2xu8Ptu.png

Well, in my head canon I consider the GBs as 100 organic. My reason for this is that they wear clothes. Agori and Glatorian don't wear clothes because they have armor over their fleshy bits. Matoran are mostly robotic, so again they don't need clothes. So the only reason I can think the GBs wear clothes is to hide their naughty bits.

Surely they'd be better off with armour then too? The armour would probably need a suit underneath though. Seeing as Agori/Glatorian are confirmed to reproduce like us mammals, they're the best candidate for covering their "naughty bits" as you put it.

Bear in mind that nudity might not really be a taboo in Spherus Magnan culture like it is here. Although, if I think about it, it probably would be post-Shattering, since people wore armour most of the time due to the harshness of their environment, so not wearing armour is probably a sign of intimacy. That being said, the Sisters of the Skrall didn't seem to wear armour, just robes, but that was because they judged that their Psionic powers were enough to protect them, and thus didn't need any cumbersome armour. Deserts can get pretty cold at night, and significant exposure to direct sunlight in a desert is ill advised; look at Arabic cultures, they wear loose, thin fabrics out in the desert, covering their heads too. Loose and thin so as to be breathable but not to keep you particularly warm: mainly to stop sunlight. Then at night when it gets cold you could just put on some more layers. So whilst I think it's likely that there's some kind of nudity taboo with Spherus Magnans, just remember that it might not necessarily be the case.

*EDIT

Then again because Lego have to be politically correct, and are marketing to kids really, I don't think they could get away with having characters like that didn't think nudity was weird...so yeah ><

Edited by NuvaTube

4.) In Bionicle: Desert of Danger, Metus says...

"Around here the monsters don’t wear masks ... or hats, or pants, or anything else. And they eat you because they’re hungry and you’re nearby. Got it?"
— Metus

This implies that the aforementioned clothing items may be used among SM inhabitants. My question is, do SM inhabitants commonly use clothing items such as those mentioned above? (But then again, they generally wear full armor all the time anyway...)

4) Yes. You wear fabric under the armor. You don’t wear armor against bare skin in a desert, you would fry your skin right off.

4.) In Bionicle: Desert of Danger, Metus says...

"Around here the monsters don’t wear masks ... or hats, or pants, or anything else. And they eat you because they’re hungry and you’re nearby. Got it?"

— Metus

This implies that the aforementioned clothing items may be used among SM inhabitants. My question is, do SM inhabitants commonly use clothing items such as those mentioned above? (But then again, they generally wear full armor all the time anyway...)

4) Yes. You wear fabric under the armor. You don’t wear armor against bare skin in a desert, you would fry your skin right off.

You've done it again fishers ^_^

From here: (I modded the inside quote myself)

is bara-magna the GBs homeworld?No, Spherus Magna is.

Okay, the GB alien theory is debunked.

I looked up "homeworld" to be sure. It implies an orgin point. So the GBs are from SM.

Do-oh. I alsys believed them to be aliens.

From biosector01,

In the early years of their presence on Spherus Magna, they encountered the native entity Annona, who tried to use her power to feed on their dreams.

Now, you will notice two things:

1.They encountered an entity who failed to feed on their dreams as they were too mentally strong. A new civilisation... wouldn't be able to do that.

2. What's more, in their early years. Advanced civilixsation by the time they were in their early SM years.

So, just some stuff that fortified my belief in them being aliens. But if GregF himself said they are native, then I suppose they are.

Well, nothing in that wording is rendered false, technically, by their being native. They came into existence at some point, somehow, on SM, and thus began their "presence" there, and Annona is native (too). But the wording might have come about on BS01 from someone who thought they were aliens. :shrugs:

I don't remember that BS01 quote having any basis in storyline, most specifically Sahmad's Tale.

However, it is possible, given all that wording, that aliens came to SM and were transformed by Annona into the Great Beings. Therefore Great Beings are native to SM (they don't come from somewhere else), but the aliens who became them could come from somewhere else. However, that's probably a stretch.

Or maybe one day Annona got bored and decided to make this powerful race of beings more creative for fun. Maybe they were rulers who were being too destructive, so this being decided to make them all creative, which made them make the ELs to rule in their place, and so on.