Art Vandelay

b4bzpenergized.png

:s: :m_o: :l: :i: :s: :m: :a: :g: :n: :a:

SolisMagna.com BZPower Topic

(No, it's not official.)

This topic is meant for discussion and Q&A about the new BIONICLE fan site, SolisMagna.com.

The idea of SolisMagna.com developed over time. It originated as a project to recreate the 2001-2003 BIONICLE sites with modern web development techniques (which I still plan on doing actually), but then I thought, "Hey, why not do an entire reboot of the early years and sell revamped sets alongside it?" So I started planning for that, but then I realized that what people really wanted was a continuation of BIONICLE rather than a reboot. Thus SolisMagna.com truly began. I knew that this was the way to regenerate interest and activity throughout the community, and I knew I couldn't accomplish it alone. I looked to BZPower to advertise the cause and recruit the best staff members available. The response was great and I received tons of applications. We currently have 21 staff members. This project isn't about bringing back BIONICLE, but it is about keeping it's memory and community interest in it alive. We are not looking to make personal wealth from this project. The staff members will be paid when we begin to sell sets, but the actual profit made will go towards improving the sets and the entire project.

Current Staff Members:

Set Designers:

• Chro (Team Leader)
  • Arc (Co-Leader)
  • TabarisTenebrisCarpeNocte
  • Steve The Squid (Modalt Masks)

Storyline:

• iBrow Voltex (Team Leader)
  • Eljay: Toa of Mangosteen (Co-Leader)
  • Kahi (Co-Leader)
  • Protalgif
  • Legolover-361

​Media:

• ~garnira returns- (Team Leader)
  • The Phantom Terror (Minecraft Server Administrator)
  • Fastcar800

​Developers:

• Ora_unit_SR388 (Team Leader)
  • Falcon Lord (Co-Leader)
  • Guurahk Entertainer (Game Design Leader)

General:

• Capt. Ranaki Pakewa
  • Paraur Merengi
  • bohrokmaster
  • boston100
  • Strack / Dovahkiin

Updates to come:

• Main site and forums will be finalized in the coming weeks.
  • First sets to be released in January to early February.

Feel free to ask any questions about this project below or discuss it. We will answer any questions we can.

Edited by XONAR
  • Upvote 1
Bliss.png

I've been really trying to find out more about this as it seems like a very cool project. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Do you think you could share any set preliminaries or storyline hints? :D

• Upvote 1

I've been really trying to find out more about this as it seems like a very cool project. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Do you think you could share any set preliminaries or storyline hints? :D

Not just yet. :P

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Not just yet. :P

Not just yet indeed, but expect us to reveal some details at the Chronicler's Convergence TTV event in December. ;)

Edited by XONAR
  • Upvote 1
Bliss.png

I don't think and good that it's official (just saying) but who knows i could be wrong.

But i do like to help with Set Design because i have ideas of weapons and Glatorian Helmets.

By the way did you ask me to join this before i don't remember if you have.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I don't think and good that it's official (just saying) but who knows i could be wrong.

Rephrase, please? :P

But i do like to help with Set Design because i have ideas of weapons and Glatorian Helmets.

We'll have you in mind, thanks! :)

it's really not up to you who gets to join the set team, Guu. that being said, SWH, we'll consider you. however, i'll warn you that we already have Modalt doing custom pieces, and we may not need anyone else for that.

it's really not up to you who gets to join the set team, Guu. that being said, SWH, we'll consider you. however, i'll warn you that we already have Modalt doing custom pieces, and we may not need anyone else for that.

I clearly said that we will consider him, not saying "you're on!" just like that.

Just clearing that up, let's get back on topic. :P

-G u u R a h K

I clearly said that we will consider him, not saying "you're on!" just like that.

yes, BUT it's not even your place to make any decisions regarding the set team, seeing as you're not on it. just clearing that up.

yes, BUT it's not even your place to make any decisions regarding the set team, seeing as you're not on it. just clearing that up.

I think he meant that he'll let you know and to ask to cosider me. Plus it's a good idea to get another guy to make some custom stuff and with game i can test them if you need someone do that.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Yeah, I actually meant that I'll tell Ben. Of course I wouldn't take the choice myself cosnidering Ben's the bossman. (also: though I am not listed here in the topic, I actually am on the set design, story and media team, just that of the first two I'll have to wait until 2015 to release the story and the latter... well not much to do anyway yet.) Now we should actually get back on topic to avoid a post war. :P

Edited by Guurahk Entertainer

-G u u R a h K

Yeah, I actually meant that I'll tell Ben. Of course I wouldn't take the choice myself cosnidering Ben's the bossman. (also: though I am not listed here in the topic, I actually am on the set design, story and media team, just that of the first two I'll have to wait until 2015 to release the story and the latter... well not much to do anyway yet.)

That's actually incorrect. According to Ben, this is the official list. I'd recommend checking with him before you say stuff... especially considering you're a team leader. We've got to set a good image for the rest of the staff, you know? And we should act reasonably professional too.

Just a thought.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Yeah, I actually meant that I'll tell Ben. Of course I wouldn't take the choice myself cosnidering Ben's the bossman. (also: though I am not listed here in the topic, I actually am on the set design, story and media team, just that of the first two I'll have to wait until 2015 to release the story and the latter... well not much to do anyway yet.) Now we should actually get back on topic to avoid a post war. :P

The staff list above is the official list as of November 24, 2013. Everyone is one one team alone, and their team is listed here, so Guu, you are only on the game design team. Staff discussion is not meant for this topic, so please keep it out of here.

Edited by XONAR
Bliss.png

It's perfectly acceptable to let someone know that their request will considered, seeing as that is simple human courtesy. If I were in contact with someone outside of the Storyline Team that might fit with the project, I would not turn them away or refuse their offer just because I am not on the teams their skills would be relevant to. This is what has occurred here - while not necessarily the head of set design or perhaps even directly associated with the set design team, Guurahk merely let SWH that his request would be passed on to the relevant SM.com staff for consideration.

As for this bickering and the requests to maintain a reasonably professional public image - such requests and tangents should be kept to private messages if that "reasonably professional" public image is to be upheld. If a staff member has stated something that you believe is incorrect, fill them in privately and, if you are correct, then they can clarify their statement themselves.

EDIT: Xonar you ninja you

Edited by Tex

This is the official list as of November 24, 2013. Everyone is one one team alone, and their team is listed here, so Guu, you are only on the game design team. Staff discussion is not meant for this topic, so please keep it out of here.

Oh well. Fail. :P

So now we're back on topic officially.

-G u u R a h K

This is a pretty schway project you have here. I'm glad TTV can be affiliated with you and (hopefully) help you grow.Looking forward to your TCC presentation.-Mesonak

• Upvote 1

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Yeah, I actually meant that I'll tell Ben. Of course I wouldn't take the choice myself cosnidering Ben's the bossman. (also: though I am not listed here in the topic, I actually am on the set design, story and media team, just that of the first two I'll have to wait until 2015 to release the story and the latter... well not much to do anyway yet.)

That's actually incorrect. According to Ben, this is the official list. I'd recommend checking with him before you say stuff... especially considering you're a team leader. We've got to set a good image for the rest of the staff, you know? And we should act reasonably professional too.

Just a thought.

Yes very professional to have rude comments like that about your fellow co-worker in public for everyone to see. Good job Chro :)

OK, is there actually anything to DISCUSS in this topic, or is it just a place to exhibit drama between the project staff?Overall, I have seen a lot of ambition from the Solis Magna project, but very little substance. And honestly, unless you have specific ways you expect us non-staff to contribute, then it does your project little good to be promoting it in this stage. The site itself is still so incomplete I'd almost call it broken. We've been told all kinds of things about your plans for sets, but without anything to show us, there's no reason to get excited about them — I'm not at all interested in buying what could just end up being be overpriced and unimpressive MOCs.Overall, the project is slightly more well-planned than a lot of "Bring Back BIONICLE" projects... but only slightly. The basic goal of the project seems to be to "re-create" many of the things that made BIONICLE great and successful, but I don't know if any of the people involved in the project quite grasp how difficult these things were for the LEGO Group's writers and designers in the first place, let alone how much more difficult it would be for a small group of fans with neither the experience, nor the resources, nor the reputation that LEGO had when they were running the franchise.I'm not trying to say you guys should give up. I haven't SEEN enough to know whether you have any chance of succeeding. For all I know, there might be some stellar set designs and a financially sound business model already all planned out behind the scenes. But I DO think the amount you've been promoting an incomplete site with very little content to show is not making you look good, and might have others questioning whether this whole thing is more bark than bite.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

OK, is there actually anything to DISCUSS in this topic, or is it just a place to exhibit drama between the project staff?Overall, I have seen a lot of ambition from the Solis Magna project, but very little substance. And honestly, unless you have specific ways you expect us non-staff to contribute, then it does your project little good to be promoting it in this stage. The site itself is still so incomplete I'd almost call it broken. We've been told all kinds of things about your plans for sets, but without anything to show us, there's no reason to get excited about them — I'm not at all interested in buying what could just end up being be overpriced and unimpressive MOCs.Overall, the project is slightly more well-planned than a lot of "Bring Back BIONICLE" projects... but only slightly. The basic goal of the project seems to be to "re-create" many of the things that made BIONICLE great and successful, but I don't know if any of the people involved in the project quite grasp how difficult these things were for the LEGO Group's writers and designers in the first place, let alone how much more difficult it would be for a small group of fans with neither the experience, nor the resources, nor the reputation that LEGO had when they were running the franchise.I'm not trying to say you guys should give up. I haven't SEEN enough to know whether you have any chance of succeeding. For all I know, there might be some stellar set designs and a financially sound business model already all planned out behind the scenes. But I DO think the amount you've been promoting an incomplete site with very little content to show is not making you look good, and might have others questioning whether this whole thing is more bark than bite.

Its up to everyone else if they want to discuss this project. This topic is here so that if people want to discuss the project, they can. This is not meant to be a staff discussion topic, and staff members need to keep matters out of this topic.

Basically, this topic was created to remind everyone that we exist, with the Chronicler's Convergence coming up and all, and because our set release schedule has been delayed by a bit. We originally planned to release our first sets before the end of the year, but that turned out to be an unrealistic goal, so we've pushed back our initial release to January - February. There has been a ton of planning going on behind the scenes, and I'm pretty confident that most people will be very impressed with our set designs. Our business model has recently been revamped with the help of Kahi and Steve the Squid as well. The site is indeed broken. I couldn't agree with you more on that actually. I'll be finishing up the site before the end of the year. It really does need it. This topic has served its purpose, I'd say. If people on here had forgotten about us, they know we're still going, and now they know our schedule.

And just to clarify things for others, this is not a "Bring Back BIONICLE" project. Our goal is not to bring BIONICLE back, but to bring up the activity and interest level throughout the entire BIONICLE online fan community.

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

• 2 weeks later...

An ambitious project, to say the least. I saw the website a number of months ago, and was intrigued by the concept. How did you guys get clearance from LEGO to use their product line? How are you producing the pieces?

I'm pretty sure the pieces are just being bought on the aftermarket on sites like Bricklink, besides masks which will probably be either modded from existing pieces or 3D printed. And it probably doesn't need any explicit approval from the LEGO Group unless it's being branded as "BIONICLE". Unless I'm wrong and they get hit with a cease-and-desist letter, but I don't think it will ever be a big enough deal for LEGO to do that — after all, plenty of people sell custom LEGO models online to much larger audiences.

So, are you going to do rendered box covers?

I'm not sure if we have decided on this yet, but since I'm the 3D modeller, I'll roll the dice and say that we will most likely be Photoshopping pics of the sets for the boxes. 3D rendering every single set would be a heck of a task, and I'd probably run out of time before they are released.

-G u u R a h K

So, are you going to do rendered box covers?

I'm not sure if we have decided on this yet, but since I'm the 3D modeller, I'll roll the dice and say that we will most likely be Photoshopping pics of the sets for the boxes. 3D rendering every single set would be a heck of a task, and I'd probably run out of time before they are released.

yep, that's right. Chro is in charge of set photography, and i think Modalt might be doing some as well.

Oryx, you had joined the staff a while back actually. :P You couldn't view the GDoc, so you kinda slipped away, which isn't your fault; just unfortunate circumstances. Anyway, it is now a requirement that staff members have a Skype account and are able to view the GDoc, so I'm sorry, but you cannot join unless you were to make those two things possible. :\

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png