• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

The Complete Matoran Dictionary, 2nd Ed.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 1,276 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 02:18 PM

You know those nerds who can speak Klingon and probably translate the linguistic roots of names in Star Trek? Did you ever wish you could be like them? Of course not! Me neither! But just in case you were looking for a complete dictionary of Bionicle names, locations, and their meanings (whether to learn to speak it or to translate your own name) fellow reporter Tolkien has revised his Matoran dictionary and I for one have been having a field day translating member names making fun of the nerds actually using it. Read on for links to the full entries in alphabetical order. View the full article

#2 Offline Torran

Torran
  • Members
  • Scavenger

• 622 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 02:54 PM

That's exciting stuff. I got sidetracked in the linked discussions of languages and original meanings/literal translations. I didn't even realize the fans were this serious about absolutely everything in the lore. Beautiful.

tumafest.jpg

#3 Offline ToaOfAwesome

ToaOfAwesome
  • Members
  • Toa

• 194 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 04:14 PM

That sounds really nerdy but also incredibly useful in creating things like epics and stuff.

Read my epic, The Chronicles of Masuko!

Or my comic, Mackron: The Vulture Warrior!

#4 Offline TheSkeletonMan939

TheSkeletonMan939
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,544 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 08:23 PM

For the record, I've always wanted to be one of those losers who can fluently understand Klingon and Elvish.

This is cool; I'll have to read this sometime.

#5 Offline Watcher on the Walls

Watcher on the Walls
  • Members
  • Emerging Defender of Mata Nui

• 2,000 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 09:27 PM

Seems pretty cool, actually. I can't believe someone would actually try and do this, and kudos to Tolkien for that.

#6 Offline Lenny7092

Lenny7092
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 318 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 11:53 PM

That's a very nice dictionary! We could learn new Matoran words from it, and read, write, speak, and translate with it. We could learn a new language or slang from the dictionary, too.:) Anyway, where's the first edition of the dictionary?
I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

#7 Online The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,230 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 25 2013 - 01:17 AM

Oh my gosh. Somebody actually did it. Nice job!

14612551615_f885b55eb5_o.jpg

|+| Flickr |+| MOCpages |+| Facebook |+| YouTube |+|

|+| Rock Raiders United |+| SOLISMagna |+| Tumblr |+| TTV |+|

#8 Offline Krane

Krane
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 333 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 25 2013 - 04:12 AM

I'v seen a few people making a Matoran Dictionary but I never seen one like this. 

~Kranan 

~BZPRPG Profiles

Dual Matrix: Sup?

CeeCee    :  Dual, you spammer

Kranan      : Wut wut wut 

AutomationKranan plz stop

#9 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,020 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 25 2013 - 06:39 AM

At last, I can be at peace in life, now that I know the complex workings of a fictional language created for a toyline. :P

Congratulations to Tolkien for pulling this off; I can't imagine how much work and thought it must've taken. I remember the first topic he made for this, in (I think) around summer 2006 in which I believe I was the one who suggested the 'rak' = 'scourge' meaning.

Edited by Sir Kohran, Nov 25 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#10 Offline Gatanui

Gatanui
  • Reporters
  • Senior News Finder

• 10,989 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Nov 25 2013 - 01:54 PM

[color=#990000;]I don't care what LEGO or Greg or anyone says, this is officially canon now. :) Awesome job! :D[color=#000080;]-Gata Posted Image[/color][/color]
Please don't use my avatar without permission, thanks ^_^

#11 Offline Emotionless

Emotionless
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,769 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 25 2013 - 01:55 PM

Anyway, where's the first edition of the dictionary?

[color=#006400;]My guess is that it's over in the archives of the forum, but I dunno.[/color]

[color=#006400;]Anyway, about the dictionary, I can't believe someone spent the time making this! Maybe if I learn the Matoran language, I can drop my Spanish course for school! Just kidding about that, but if only it can happen...[/color]

Live while you can while there's air in your lungs. Live your life in the best way you can and die with no regrets. Life is too good to brush off, so live your life and love it.

Click here to go to Snax, the SybreNetX reboot!

spc_logo.png

Click the homemade banner to go to Sonic: Pure Chaos!

The Feline Chronicles | Noobicorn Inc. | Toa Piraka Hakann Comics | Kamen Rider: NoobzlayerDestruction Comics | Toa 95 Comics | Will Most Likely Fail Epicly | Second Time's The Charm | Prototypes

Why must all our greatest dreams come to an end? I would have slept for eternity just to keep my favorite one...

"Gentlemen, I have returned." ~Sybre, real life

#12 Offline Toa of the Blazing Inferno

Toa of the Blazing Inferno
  • Members
  • Toa

• 150 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 26 2013 - 06:30 PM

I wish it came in pdf format or something so I could download it and keep it.  Come to think of it, there's no reason why I couldn't just copy it into a word document, which I could then turn into a pdf document, myself.  I think I'll do that.

Posted Image
My Maj|My MLN page|PDF Bionicle comics|Custom additions to Bionicle figures
My banner is set with a randomizer.
If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

#13 Offline Ghabulous Ghoti

Ghabulous Ghoti
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 770 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 26 2013 - 07:14 PM

I don't even all of my what?

Rather interesting project here. I would like to say you've got a lot of time on your hands, but this is just so awesome that I can't bring myself to.

GhotiH.png

Add me on Steam: Ghabulous Ghoti ------------------------------- Add me on Nintendo Network/Playstation Network: GhotiH ------------------------------- Add me on 3DS: 1461-6196-0520

Just be sure to tell me that you've added me!

Competitive Smash Bros. player! Message me to discuss strategies or mess around without strategy online!

Yes, you can still play Brawl online!

#14 Offline Makaru

Makaru
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Senior Not So Grump

• 11,387 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Nov 28 2013 - 02:04 AM

Gonna post it here, because I think it's fascinating:

ma(t) |n./stm.|  mastery, control; master [etymology uncertain; undoubtedly related to the coeval stems me(t) “upper-part, head; primary system” and atu “mind, will”, as well as the stem mi “up, upward, above” (see entries). Variant form: ma]

kai¹  |n.|  skill, ability [kai < ka-ī, from ka “power, force, ability” and the nounal particle ī]

ru  |n./adj./stm.|  orientation; oriented toward; intention [etymology uncertain]

rui¹  |n.|  joint; lit. “orienting thing” [rui < ru-hī, from ru “orientation; oriented toward; intention” and the particle hī “thing, object, place”]†

makaru |n./v.] to master, with the mind (head), from ma ability, and a contraction of rui, oriented/intended toward (a physical object). lit. a thinker, an ability to see with clarity.

Not only did I pick the correct OC name a decade ago, I also predicted my character's aspect in BZPStuck long before the source material even existed.

Edited by Makaru, Dec 04 2013 - 01:35 PM.

13432482545_b80a31ed8e_n.jpg

Can you lose to me in a rap battle? Shoryuken! ~K. Masters

#15 Offline Fairy Knight

Fairy Knight
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,048 posts

Posted Nov 28 2013 - 03:02 AM

That is absolutely amazing. And must've been a lot of work... wow.

snailshelltestscare.jpg

formerly known as Taka Nuvia or sometimes Demon Jester. ^^

#16 Offline Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Smoke Monster
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,030 posts

Posted Nov 28 2013 - 10:08 AM

This is really interesting. I haven't seen anything like it before. Great job on making this! B-)

Everyone is one choice away from being a bad guy in someone else's story.

#17 Offline PeabodySam

PeabodySam
  • Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,044 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 30 2013 - 08:32 PM

Very interesting.  I'll be sure to check this out later when I have more free time since these sorts of things fascinate me because I'm such a big nerd with no life, though I did read a bit of it and I'm liking what I see.

Now, I don't know if I'm thinking of Tolkien's first edition per chance, but on the old forums, there was a pretty in-depth Matoran dictionary that broken down all Matoran names and words known at the time (if memory serves me well, then it was perhaps 2007-2008 when this was posted) into single syllables that could be combined to form more complex words with deeper meanings.  Unfortunately, thanks to a certain somebody, it's no longer available.  I hadn't thought to save it myself, since (if I'm frank) my trust in BZP preserving the archives was clearly misplaced.  I saved the URL, but alas, the Wayback Machine didn't back it up either.

However, because these sorts of things fascinate me and I'm such a big nerd with no life, I did use this dictionary to start "translating" one of my short stories into Matoran for fun.  I never finished this project, but based on what little I did, I was recently able to reverse-engineer much of this lost dictionary.

If anyone is curious, I can repost what I have recovered here.

awebanner.png
Calcite Copter VS Cybernetic Rock Monster - The Coming of the Toa - Cursed Form - Dino Attack Headquarters - Five Years Too Many - Hate and Vengeance - Lost and Found and Lost Again - Majhost Gallery - Scene 24: Johnny Thunder Blows This Taco Stand - Vakama's Secret
"It's all right, children. Life is made up of meetings and partings. That is the way of it. I am sure that we shall never forget Tiny Tim, or this first parting that there was among us." - Bob Cratchit
qs25896.jpg
qs25896.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users