The Complete Matoran Dictionary, 2nd Ed.

You know those nerds who can speak Klingon and probably translate the linguistic roots of names in Star Trek? Did you ever wish you could be like them? Of course not! Me neither! But just in case you were looking for a complete dictionary of Bionicle names, locations, and their meanings (whether to learn to speak it or to translate your own name) fellow reporter Tolkien has revised his Matoran dictionary and I for one have been having a field day translating member names making fun of the nerds actually using it. Read on for links to the full entries in alphabetical order. View the full article

• Upvote 2

At last, I can be at peace in life, now that I know the complex workings of a fictional language created for a toyline. :P

Congratulations to Tolkien for pulling this off; I can't imagine how much work and thought it must've taken. I remember the first topic he made for this, in (I think) around summer 2006 in which I believe I was the one who suggested the 'rak' = 'scourge' meaning.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

Anyway, where's the first edition of the dictionary?

My guess is that it's over in the archives of the forum, but I dunno.

Anyway, about the dictionary, I can't believe someone spent the time making this! Maybe if I learn the Matoran language, I can drop my Spanish course for school! Just kidding about that, but if only it can happen...

• Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

I wish it came in pdf format or something so I could download it and keep it. Come to think of it, there's no reason why I couldn't just copy it into a word document, which I could then turn into a pdf document, myself. I think I'll do that.

• Upvote 1

Gonna post it here, because I think it's fascinating:

ma(t) |n./stm.| mastery, control; master [etymology uncertain; undoubtedly related to the coeval stems me(t) “upper-part, head; primary system” and atu “mind, will”, as well as the stem mi “up, upward, above” (see entries). Variant form: ma]

kai¹ |n.| skill, ability [kai < ka-ī, from ka “power, force, ability” and the nounal particle ī]

ru |n./adj./stm.| orientation; oriented toward; intention [etymology uncertain]

rui¹ |n.| joint; lit. “orienting thing” [rui < ru-hī, from ru “orientation; oriented toward; intention” and the particle hī “thing, object, place”]†

makaru |n./v.] to master, with the mind (head), from ma ability, and a contraction of rui, oriented/intended toward (a physical object). lit. a thinker, an ability to see with clarity.

Not only did I pick the correct OC name a decade ago, I also predicted my character's aspect in BZPStuck long before the source material even existed.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Very interesting. I'll be sure to check this out later when I have more free time since these sorts of things fascinate me because I'm such a big nerd with no life, though I did read a bit of it and I'm liking what I see.

Now, I don't know if I'm thinking of Tolkien's first edition per chance, but on the old forums, there was a pretty in-depth Matoran dictionary that broken down all Matoran names and words known at the time (if memory serves me well, then it was perhaps 2007-2008 when this was posted) into single syllables that could be combined to form more complex words with deeper meanings. Unfortunately, thanks to a certain somebody, it's no longer available. I hadn't thought to save it myself, since (if I'm frank) my trust in BZP preserving the archives was clearly misplaced. I saved the URL, but alas, the Wayback Machine didn't back it up either.

However, because these sorts of things fascinate me and I'm such a big nerd with no life, I did use this dictionary to start "translating" one of my short stories into Matoran for fun. I never finished this project, but based on what little I did, I was recently able to reverse-engineer much of this lost dictionary.

If anyone is curious, I can repost what I have recovered here.

• Upvote 1