Lego Rubber Wheels and Age

Vorahk1Panrahk2

So I was doing some cleaning and organizing, and found that the rubber wheels on some of my older sets were coated with a really sticky substance. Considering it was limited entirely to eight rubber wheels and nothing else I have to imagine it originated from the wheels themselves. Does anyone know what this might be? The wheels are from 5955 All Terrain Trapper and the yellow car from 6455 Space Simulation Station, and the substance in question was sticky and maybe a little yellow in color. They were being stored on a wooden shelf that was painted white, if that makes a difference.

Anyone know what this is, specifically? And if there's anything I can do to... fix it, I guess?

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

• 2 weeks later...

Rubber gives off oils with age and overexposure to heat speeds up that process. It's not too uncommon for this to happen with other things that are exposed to extreme temperatures. You should be able to wash it off, but the tires may have a slightly different texture than usual.