• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Cordyceps - The Zombie Ant Fungus

fungi cordyceps ant

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Paleo

Paleo
  • Retired Staff
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 812 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Nov 27 2013 - 10:21 PM

For those who have not heard of this before.

For those who wish to learn more.

Basically, there exists a fungus in nature (or rather, a number of them) that infect insect hosts and sometimes influence the host's brain in order to reproduce.

I built one for BBCC 66

(for those who have not yet voted in the contest, please consider these images as opposed to my entry picture, which was taken with poor lighting)

(votes are greatly appreciated)

Posted Image

1 • 2 • 3

Edited by Paleo, Nov 27 2013 - 10:51 PM.

Vote for Entry #2:

News • Forums • Q&A

bzptwitter.jpg bzpflickr.jpg bzpyoutube.jpg bzpfacebook.jpg

in General Discussion Contest 2.22!

#2 Offline Kakaru

Kakaru
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Senior Fish

• 1,753 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Nov 28 2013 - 01:30 AM

[color=#336699;]I could maybe complain about the lighting in your entry picture but dang son I can't find anything bad to say otherwiseThe design and structure is great and cordyceps are the most terrifyingly rad thing ever so you get so many points for thatthe pincers and the eyes and the antenna and the legs and the sprout this entire model just makes me really really happy[/color]

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達

#3 Offline Chro

Chro
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,834 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 28 2013 - 07:39 PM

Creepy... and also really accurate (to one type at least; there are a lot of other pictures of Cordyceps I've seen which are... really weird).

Now build a version attached to a human and call it Last of Us. :lol:

#4 Offline Watcher on the Walls

Watcher on the Walls
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,990 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 28 2013 - 08:36 PM

The limbs look pretty well structured, I like the design. The body has a unique design, with those HF pieces. It looks somehow realistic, like it's ready to eat me...

#5 Offline Paleo

Paleo
  • Retired Staff
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 812 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Nov 29 2013 - 05:24 PM

[color=#336699;]I could maybe complain about the lighting in your entry picture but dang son I can't find anything bad to say otherwiseThe design and structure is great and cordyceps are the most terrifyingly rad thing ever so you get so many points for thatthe pincers and the eyes and the antenna and the legs and the sprout this entire model just makes me really really happy[/color]

The limbs look pretty well structured, I like the design. The body has a unique design, with those HF pieces. It looks somehow realistic, like it's ready to eat me...

Thanks.

Creepy... and also really accurate (to one type at least; there are a lot of other pictures of Cordyceps I've seen which are... really weird).

Now build a version attached to a human and call it Last of Us. :lol:

I was originally planning to create a second victim that would look like this, but I ran out of time in the contest. As for making a clicker (I know the name but I don't play), I'm thoroughly terrified of them, so I won't be making one anytime soon.

Vote for Entry #2:

News • Forums • Q&A

bzptwitter.jpg bzpflickr.jpg bzpyoutube.jpg bzpfacebook.jpg

in General Discussion Contest 2.22!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users