Voyage of Fear: The Game

Toatapio Nuva

title.png

It has returned!

DOWNLOAD FROM DROPBOX

Having trouble extracting? Download ZIP version here

Before the downtime, I posted this game for the first time. Now I am bringing it back up, but even better than before. Changes to the original include having all six Toa in battle at the same time and improved battles in general, as well as many bugs fixed.

So the Voyage of Fear: The Game, is a fan-made game using the RPG Maker VX Ace engine. It follows the canon storyline of BIONICLE Adventures #5: Voyage of Fear. It is very story accurate.

Of course, you want to see some screenshots to determine whether the game is worth your time before actually downloading it. So here you go:

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

screenshot5.png

screenshot6.png

screenshot8.png

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

I like the intro scenes and the choice of music. It is slow and ambient, but very foreboding and fitting the scenario that unfolds. You've done a good job of integrating BIONICLE into the RPG Maker system too, though perhaps I'd have liked the transport to use a different sprite than the standard sailboat one.I encountered a bug at the rock-pushing test in the upper left of the starting area. Pushing a rock downwards towards the crater doesn't move it, but it stops your character dead and locks all controls so they don't respond. The rest of the game keeps running and does not freeze. This forced me to shut the game down via task manager to try again. The button-pressing puzzle that comes in the second area didn't bug, but I did it through guessing. Was I supposed to find a hint in the environment there? If so, I missed it.

The text still mentions being limited to 4 Toa in battle, so you apparently forgot to change that. Minor question: I see one screenshot pops up a full-sized character portrait of Vakama when he is selected. Is that supposed to happen now as well? I only see the speech bubble with possible selections, and the smaller portrait changes. I see you've animated the Vahki with different graphics than the ones in that screenshot too, though, so I imagine it's a change that's been made between versions?

The Vahki fight... well, I am very happy to see that this is an active time system with button combos etc., so that is good! :) The quick-time events for melee combos took me by surprise, though, so that every time a new button appeared I would fail the first time. Not really a problem, since once I got the combo down I could easily chain it. Still, I'd like the controls of the game to be mentioned somewhere, even if RPG Maker uses pretty standard layout. You would be surprised at how many people don't know that Shift is a common run button, for example!

I went through an entire RPG once without knowing about its run button. My sister did the same in a different game from a different developer entirely, and it only became an issue once she failed a jump repeatedly due to the lack of sprinting. I did it on the first try because I held Shift by reflex, and she was all "wait, you can run?". Pretty much everyone who plays Super Metroid fail at a similar scene (the "noob bridge") because in-game Run is never used up until that point. And RPG Maker... well, Z is action/confirm and X is menu/cancel, but I have no idea what other conventions lie behind it.Therefore, all the different input methods was a bit confusing (like Fire, whose button combo doesn't pop up until the ability has charged for a little while after selection) and it didn't help that the Vahki were all spamming Blind and Confusion like it was going out of style. While I did win, Nokama went down in the first round because she got Confusion and no armor, and the rest of the team I only had control over roughly 20% of the time due to the same Confusion effect. It was a terrifying display of full-auto attack effects until I finally got control back of a few of the Toa. Might want to insert a few tutorial messages here, like you've done for the easier to understand block puzzles.

I'd also like to know which attacks are single-target and which are multi-target and even just if they are meant for damage or status effects before I choose to spend energy on them. That said, you do hand out a generous amount of EXP and healing items, so it's not been a problem to just mess around a bit to see what works.

Nice work on this game. I've not finished playing yet, but these are my intial thoughts based on the first few screens.

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I have no idea what happened to the Toa portraits during battle. I checked what you reported on and indeed they are missing. I've been trying everything from altering the scripts to checking the resource files, but I can't seem to be able to return them. Luckily battle still works, though. I'm still looking into the issue. :(

Thanks for the other comments, I've fixed the issue with the pushing boulders. I'm also adding some information on the battle controls as well as the shift button in a later phase of the game where you are actually better off running. Also, I will add some more armor in the game and increase the resistance of some Toa against certain status effects to add versatility.

• 4 weeks later...

Yay!

This is still with VX Ace, right? How did you manage to get all 6 Toa in the battles? I haven't actually played it yet, but I will be playing it in about 2 minutes.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

• 1 month later...

Yay!

This is still with VX Ace, right? How did you manage to get all 6 Toa in the battles? I haven't actually played it yet, but I will be playing it in about 2 minutes.

The battle system is a separate script.

Curiosly when i download the file and install it where do i find the program to Play the game?

Wherever you installed it to. The default location is your C-drive, where it will have made a folder named Voyage of Fear in the Program Files.

I don't get the fighting u press random buttons something happens and you lose all your tp(whatever that is)

TP are points that you gain whever you hit someone or get hit yourself. TP is used for mask powers. MP, on the other hand, doesn't replenish without items or a healing point. Those are used for elemental attacks. The "Attack" option allows you to hit without losing either one, but it will be less effective.

I'm about to recover the version where the Toa could be seen on the screen during battle. I will update the download link shortly.

EDIT: Proper version restored!

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

everytime I open the folder it begins extracting the files and just a split second later it says: "extraction failed" and this only happens in "v1"

HELP!

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

Did you try the new download link?

extraction failed, again D: (this game is too awesome it bugs me that I cannot play it)

Soooo I tried it out, and it worked perfectly for the most part. Except for one small thing, when I was Onewa, and was on land and met with some rahi, the game decided to crash... other than that, it worked perfectly, that was the only incident. :) My thoughts? I liked it a lot. Though, I finished it in a couple of days, and now I'm wishing that there was more to it haha, seemed a bit too short haha, but that's just because I'm a hard core gamer, and I like having a lot of stuff to do on a game. But I did like it a lot. Well done indeed!

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

• 1 year later...

Sooo last post was march 8th but imma say this again: Great game. I LOVE every bit of this thing. Now imma re-download it so I can play it again.

Huh.  I'll have to try this... the only other RPG Maker game I've played was Flow of the River, and that was quite good.

(I still think I can do better... one of these days)

I will say from the screenshots it looks nice, especially the Nuurahk.  Those suckers look downright dangerous.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I found some kind of bug: whenever I try to push a ock into an obstacle the game freezes. Also sometimes during puzzles, instead of resetting the puzzle the thing will just spawn another rock

Edited by Toa Aeron

Sooo last post was march 8th but imma say this again: Great game. I LOVE every bit of this thing. Now imma re-download it so I can play it again.

March 8th of last year, I'm afraid. Remember, only the topic starter can revive a topic:

3) No topic revival. Please do not post in topics that have been inactive for sixty days or more. Note: Topic starters are exempt from this rule and may revive their own topics ONLY to announce an update or a new preview. All other cases will result in topic closure.

Topic closed. 

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]