Set Review: 44015 Evo Walker

44015_Evo_Walker_Review_teaser.jpgToday's the day you've all been waiting for, whether you knew it or not. Today we begin reviewing the 2014 Hero Factory sets. LEGO was nice enough to send us a batch, so we figured we should share our thoughts. We're kicking things off with 44015 Evo Walker, one of the smaller sets in the line. Read on for a video review and tons of pictures showcasing what this set's made of!View the full article

This feels like 2010 all over again. :P This is a neat little set with some nice pieces. I'm just a bit disappointed that the heads aren't transparent, but I can look beyond that. I'll probably get some other sets first, but I may eventually get my hands on this one as well. Thank you for the review! :) Bummer about the March release in North America, though- I really wonder what's the reasoning behind that.-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I'm just a bit disappointed that the heads aren't transparent

yeah same, i was hoping for the return of trans-neon orange heads like in this set (with a sort of open back on the helmet to allow light in similar to most bionicle sets) as well as other heads in transparent colours the set itself looks kinda lackluster but im still hype for this new wave regardless especially with the new figs. they still look dope

bionicle is trans culture

I feel like this is the army booster of the line. I'm really impressed with the quality of the herofig and Visorak thingies, and getting three beasts and a hero in a small set excites me. But the number clearly lead to cutting corners on the actual build, which disappoints me a lot. It's just not a good design. But with only so many parts to work with, and having to accommodate that bulky cockpit, I don't know if I could do better.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

I actually really like this set - my only major gripe is the orange piece in the cockpit, which is a horrendous design decision. Combined with it being one of the smallest sets of the upcoming wave, I think I'll most definitely be purchasing it. It'll be fun to modify it, too.

One thing I'm wondering about the design of the walker. Do the many joints that make up the main body make it at all wobbly? While I love the idea of a non-standard build (previously explored in Thornraxx), I feel like here it could be impractical. At least Thornraxx's build used a Technic beam and Technic pins to afford it a certain amount of rigidity.I don't mind the ball cup feet, which I think work wonderfully on the front legs. It's a nifty stylistic decision that sort of suggests mechanical "toes". I do wish the legs were slightly longer though, particularly the back leg where the 5M C-beam that makes up the foot is also the only section of the back leg that moves separately from the cockpit.Overall, I think if you can afford 44022 Evo XL Machine, there's really very little reason to pick up this set, unless of course you want to assemble an army of jumpers.

One thing I'm wondering about the design of the walker. Do the many joints that make up the main body make it at all wobbly? While I love the idea of a non-standard build (previously explored in Thornraxx), I feel like here it could be impractical. At least Thornraxx's build used a Technic beam and Technic pins to afford it a certain amount of rigidity.

It can be a little wobbly, yes. The friction of the ball-and-socket joints keeps things from moving too much, but they also make it hard to align things to get it properly balanced. So you often end up with one leg that's not touching or not fully touching the ground.

The set looks good. The new orange cockpit is something that you don't see everyday when it can be attached to an action figure torso piece. The little spiders may not have the chance to defeat Evo in his Walker machine!:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)