What Would You Like To See In A Fan Game?

Emzee

NOTE: This is an official topic. I thought it would help the Fan Created Games community to bring up this question to both developers and players.So I ask: what would YOU like to see fan game developers create? Please be specific and explain why you want to see us make/implement/develop it.

Edited by Emzee

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

something fun, to start off.Remember the FCG contest? when the forum was "spammed up" with all these new games? and look at the results. lots of activity, and lots of amazing and addicting games, like havoc, horkida:hero or beast, and kraata attack.there have been lots of failed attempts over the years, with great breakthroughs. most people like 3d games, and i have nothing against that, but it simply is very hard to make them, and, when someone does release one, there is alot of pressure by fans, wanting it to be "perfect"and shooters are always fun,(the ones whee you actually aim, like in "the insurgent"). most of the time, we want somehting with story, but what i think would benefit us most, is having our greatest minds come together to, over time, create a sandbox 3d level, with basic movement scripts and bionicle pieces, so that we will all be on a level playing ground also, things that take skill are usually considered better games. accuracy and skill is better than button-mashing i think i said my point, see ya next post! EDIT: and dogfight games are awesome. imagine the mnolg gukko minigame, but 3d and having a bzp member on your kahu and shooting down nui rama machine gun style, THAT would be awesome

Edited by bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Some sort of RPG, maybe 3D, with online play, for interaction with other players, but not requiring other players. And you can play offline, and when you go to play online it uploads your offline progress.Maybe a video game version of the BZPRPG. But with NPC quests, levels, XP. Only thing I could help with is story though, but I would.

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

I think there are enough RPGs - that's a very overdone genre anyway. What I'd like to see would be either:

• [*]A Bionicle equivalent to Team Fortress 2. A properly implemented Bionicle FPS (especially multiplayer) would be very fun - to all those who suggest BH, 1) that had auto-aiming, I don't want that 2) BH didn't have multiplayer. Imagine going on a 20-kill streak, against people you're not exactly fond of. Are you starting to like this idea a little more? :)[*]A Bionicle equivalent to Marvel vs Capcom (also with networking). Imagine Tahu + Norik + Hahli versus Thok + Pridak + Roodaka. How awesome would that be?

I'm personally *sunglasses* game (yeeeeaaaahhh ^_^) for either, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with the "Bionicle TF2", though a "Bionicle MvC" also has me drooling at the mouth. Since I just got Panda3D (my [and Disney's] game engine of choice) approved by Black Six, I might be able to start work on a "Bionicle TF2" soon. I've also done my research well: Panda3D has built-in networking capabilities that would be perfect for either of these game ideas. I also have plenty of experience developing games with it (one is AA quality), so I think it's the way to go, even more than Unity.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I think there are enough RPGs - that's a very overdone genre anyway. What I'd like to see would be either:

• [*]A Bionicle equivalent to Team Fortress 2. A properly implemented Bionicle FPS (especially multiplayer) would be very fun - to all those who suggest BH, 1) that had auto-aiming, I don't want that 2) BH didn't have multiplayer. Imagine going on a 20-kill streak, against people you're not exactly fond of. Are you starting to like this idea a little more? :)[*]A Bionicle equivalent to Marvel vs Capcom (also with networking). Imagine Tahu + Norik + Hahli versus Thok + Pridak + Roodaka. How awesome would that be?

I'm personally *sunglasses* game (yeeeeaaaahhh ^_^) for either, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with the "Bionicle TF2", though a "Bionicle MvC" also has me drooling at the mouth. Since I just got Panda3D (my [and Disney's] game engine of choice) approved by Black Six, I might be able to start work on a "Bionicle TF2" soon. I've also done my research well: Panda3D has built-in networking capabilities that would be perfect for either of these game ideas. I also have plenty of experience developing games with it (one is AA quality), so I think it's the way to go, even more than Unity.

if anyone does work on a tf2 bionicle, what we really need is a starwar battlefront 2 gmae. giant battles. epic vehicles. space battles(not sure how we would implement that) different classes. capture command posts. unit cout. and online multiplayer server.that will probably never happen, but, it should

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Decision making, to be precise, in an RPG. I would like to see an extensive, developed system of decisions, in which you get to choose a lot in your game and to feel the consequences of your actions as opposed to a straight line of a story in which you have no actual choices, making it something of an interactive show.-Dovydas

Edited by Dovydas the Nerevarine

someone tried that once. but i thought of something:bionicle hammerfight! (if you dont know what hammerfight is, search it)it has decision making, fights, and is awesome

Edited by bulik

if anyone does work on a tf2 bionicle, what we really need is a starwar battlefront 2 gmae. giant battles. epic vehicles. space battles(not sure how we would implement that) different classes. capture command posts. unit cout. and online multiplayer server.that will probably never happen, but, it should
TF2 has all of that, except space vehicles (which Bionicle doesn't), so I'm not sure I see your point.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

TF2 has all of that, except space vehicles (which Bionicle doesn't), so I'm not sure I see your point.
well ive never played tf2 so i have no idea :P

Guys, all this remake suggesting comes off to me, personally, as lack of creativity.People should make their own games, not remake somebody else's.-Dovydas

It's not a lack of creativity. For example, do all first-person shooters released after Doom lack creativity? It's difficult to create a completely new game from scratch, to the point that I can think of only 2 commercial games in recent years that were remotely original (Portal and Spore). Remakes aren't bad by any means, as long as they're different to the point where you can tell said remake is a separate game. For example, I know of 3 games that are all based off of the original Quake III game engine, but unless you studied the source code, you'd never know. So, I don't think remakes are bad, as long they're different enough from the game they're based off of to be considered a separate game - usually, you can just switch artwork and be done with that. As a matter of fact, I bet you'll be hard-pressed to come up with anything that can't be considered a remake of something.

well ive never played tf2 so i have no idea :P
For 99% of intents and purposes, they're identical :)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Hard time coming up with any..? Challenge accepted. ... Pretty much any game. I agree with accepting inspiration from other games, but making "TF2 BIONICLE EDITION" sounds just idunno. "MATORAN FORTRESS" sounds no better. On the other hand, if you'd disconnect yourself from trying to make a TF2 remake and getting to making a game inspired by TF2, that's a different thing. Remakes =/= inspiration. Inspiration =/= remakes. Inspiration - desired. Remakes - lack of creativity.-Dovydas

Hard time coming up with any..? Challenge accepted. ... Pretty much any game. I agree with accepting inspiration from other games, but making "TF2 BIONICLE EDITION" sounds just idunno. "MATORAN FORTRESS" sounds no better. On the other hand, if you'd disconnect yourself from trying to make a TF2 remake and getting to making a game inspired by TF2, that's a different thing. Remakes =/= inspiration. Inspiration =/= remakes. Inspiration - desired. Remakes - lack of creativity.-Dovydas

I'm not so sure about that. Would you qualify, for example, Team Fortress Classic as a remake of Quake I, because only the artwork changed?

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I'm just gonna throw the fact that I'm in the design phases of a hybrid RTS/RPG out there... :)I would definitely like to see another contest or a community collaborative project to get some interest back in these forums.

:happydance: so you're still working on it?

I'm not so sure about that. Would you qualify, for example, Team Fortress Classic as a remake of Quake I, because only the artwork changed?

You're talking about the difference between a modd and its engine; Dovydas is talking about just cloning games because you like them and making a BIONICLE-y version. I'm torn on the concept of making BIONICLE versions of games. On one hand, it lacks creativity. On the other, BIONICLE isn't really the type of genre where you want to get crazy with game design because your audience is already so small. Mostly you want to build in a genre everybody likes, or at least is good for telling a story, and add a couple of BIONICLE twists. Edit: Woah... yeah, my game's not gonna be an RTS :) After listing all the features I would need to finish before I could present anything playable, I estimated almost 50 hours of work. That would take months, given my current schedule! And that's not counting artwork and gameplay tuning. So... yeah, I'm open for suggestions! :biggrin: I'm leaning towards a simple multiplayer game. I'm also trying to get Blur and Ki-FI to help me with a story, in which case I'd make something closer to an RPG. Edit 2: How about an exploration/world-building game in the style of Minecraft or Terraria? I'm currently trying to think how to make that BIONICLE-y but so far I'm really liking the idea. It's an idea that's quick to start, would lend itself well to small, frequent updates, would support both multiplayer and singleplayer, and would be really replayable. Hmmm, but how would it work... you'd obviously be able to design a character... a Matoran, with the element of your choice. The game would generate an island that includes several villages, including one for your element. Eventually you'd find Toa Stones for each village and become a Toa, then take on some big baddie. Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy

IrMSNn3.png

As said before, ENOUGH WITH THE RPGs. *calms down* Now anyway, fighting games would be wonderful. Maybe a 3D one, strongly resimbling War Of The Monsters in gameplay. The idea of fighting in the shadowed one's castle, and then tearing down a wall, and then using rubble as weapons for some reason sound very enjoyable. *breathes*

pNNgXax.jpg

As said before, ENOUGH WITH THE RPGs. *calms down* Now anyway, fighting games would be wonderful. Maybe a 3D one, strongly resimbling War Of The Monsters in gameplay. The idea of fighting in the shadowed one's castle, and then tearing down a wall, and then using rubble as weapons for some reason sound very enjoyable. *breathes*

Hey, don't be hating on RPGs. They're the single best way to tell a story through gameplay, and with tools like RPG Maker, they're also very easy to make. As for fighting games, we currently have two fighting games in development, and 3D doesn't make much of a difference in that genre; I'd rather see something else. The more I think about it, the more I've convinced myself to make a procedural sandbox adventure game.

IrMSNn3.png

Hmm... how about a top-down shooter? maybe a top-down shooter with a squad and squad commands?i dunno.maybe an fps.rock 'em sock 'em robotsmata nui robot bawxing?if this is a iphone/android app, try making a gukko fight minigame, when moving the device ould move the camera view, and tapping (if touchscreen) to fire disks at nui rama, defending your gukko.or, for PCdo an arcade style game with a cover system, so you press spacebar to attack/move out of cover, and release to go to cover and reload.you keep on defeating different enemies with various guns until a final boss fight, and if you when you unlock a new area, etc. like the system in arcade stand games like Time crisis 2

Hey, don't be hating on RPGs. They're the single best way to tell a story through gameplay, and with tools like RPG Maker, they're also very easy to make. As for fighting games, we currently have two fighting games in development, and 3D doesn't make much of a difference in that genre; I'd rather see something else. The more I think about it, the more I've convinced myself to make a procedural sandbox adventure game.
RPG Maker is Windows-only, which automatically makes it irrelevant to me. Also, we already have lots of RPG fangames as well (way too many, IMHO). That's why I suggested a TF2-ish Bionicle game - that hasn't been done before. Sandbox games can be fun, but they're extremely hard to make.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

An MNOLG like game about Kodan, marked canon or semi-canon by Greg. Could be so good. If anyone perchance thinks they can do that and want, to shoot me a PM. - 55555

Greg doesn't read fan fiction or approve any stories as even remotely close to canon, except in the sense that they're an alternate universe.Better, I think, to free yourself from the constraints of the canon story and make it your own. However, Kodan looks like an interesting character who saw a lot of interesting stuff. Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy

IrMSNn3.png

An MNOLG like game about Kodan, marked canon or semi-canon by Greg. Could be so good. If anyone perchance thinks they can do that and want, to shoot me a PM. - 55555

Greg doesn't read fan fiction or approve any stories as even remotely close to canon, except in the sense that they're an alternate universe.Better, I think, to free yourself from the constraints of the canon story and make it your own. However, Kodan looks like an interesting character who saw a lot of interesting stuff.
Greg has been known to make short stories, MOCs and art canon.- 55555

Greg has been known to make short stories, MOCs and art canon.- 55555

I hate to get into an off-topic debate, but most of those are for contests. Also, I believe Greg's quite simply not allowed to read fan fiction, in case he subconciously starts stealing ideas and lands LEGO in legal trouble. (stupid, I know) Even for contests, he only looks over the winning entry to make sure everything checks out for canon.Computer games, especially, are difficult to canonize because allowances have to be made to make them interactive. Even MNOLG, the most canon BIONICLE game, still has elements that Greg denies are part of the story. And again, why this obsession with fan-made canon? Just make a good game with a good story. Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy

IrMSNn3.png

Greg has been known to make short stories, MOCs and art canon. - 55555

I hate to get into an off-topic debate, but most of those are for contests. Also, I believe Greg's quite simply not allowed to read fan fiction, in case he subconciously starts stealing ideas and lands LEGO in legal trouble. (stupid, I know)
Agreed. If the fanfic writers put their fiction under the CC-BY or CC0 license, GregF could read and freely take from them, without fear of legal action. Since I've never seen a writer that does that, this means every fanfic cannot be redistributed, modified, or sold for money, let alone copied. So I think the fanfic writers need to start taking licenses a bit more seriously. You don't have to be a lawyer to understand any of the Creative Commons licenses.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Some sort of RPG, maybe 3D, with online play, for interaction with other players, but not requiring other players. And you can play offline, and when you go to play online it uploads your offline progress. Maybe a video game version of the BZPRPG. But with NPC quests, levels, XP. Only thing I could help with is story though, but I would.

This would be interesting, though I'd prefer something more like an open world 3D platforming game with RPG elements (such as leveling up, gaining new attacks/weapons, etc.)

These would also be pretty awesome. As great as it would be to have a Bionicle FPS that's free and that I can play (unless it's rated M :P) I would probably prefer a Bionicle MvC3, particularly since it seems like it would be easier to develop and would be out sooner. Also, I would love some combo moves and whatnot, like a Kaiata strike with Tahu/Pohatu/Onua. As for a different idea, I would like a platforming game with some variety. For instance, multiple characters would be nice, or things such as different mask powers. One thing though is some unique elements, such as rahkshi of elasticity having stretchy limbs like Ristar from his game, or the Werehog from Sonic Unleashed. I'm mainly looking for a platforming game with a good deal of variety, while still being a platforming game at it's core, as opposed to being a genre-roulette like Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues is doing this quite nicely, however, it is first and foremost a fighting game. If it could be expanded to have a single player/co-op mode that plays like a platformer, that would be perfect. So yeah, something like that, preferably 2D since 3D games are harder to program and take a lot longer to make.
rarity-with-wings.jpgrarity-heart.png <<Newest Chibi: Nuparu Inika

Some sort of RPG, maybe 3D, with online play, for interaction with other players, but not requiring other players. And you can play offline, and when you go to play online it uploads your offline progress. Maybe a video game version of the BZPRPG. But with NPC quests, levels, XP. Only thing I could help with is story though, but I would.

This would be interesting, though I'd prefer something more like an open world 3D platforming game with RPG elements (such as leveling up, gaining new attacks/weapons, etc.)

These would also be pretty awesome. As great as it would be to have a Bionicle FPS that's free and that I can play (unless it's rated M :P) I would probably prefer a Bionicle MvC3, particularly since it seems like it would be easier to develop and would be out sooner. Also, I would love some combo moves and whatnot, like a Kaiata strike with Tahu/Pohatu/Onua. As for a different idea, I would like a platforming game with some variety. For instance, multiple characters would be nice, or things such as different mask powers. One thing though is some unique elements, such as rahkshi of elasticity having stretchy limbs like Ristar from his game, or the Werehog from Sonic Unleashed. I'm mainly looking for a platforming game with a good deal of variety, while still being a platforming game at it's core, as opposed to being a genre-roulette like Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues is doing this quite nicely, however, it is first and foremost a fighting game. If it could be expanded to have a single player/co-op mode that plays like a platformer, that would be perfect. So yeah, something like that, preferably 2D since 3D games are harder to program and take a lot longer to make.
3D games are easy to make if you do your research. Panda3D makes coding 3D games easy, even easier than Unity. I'm also better at 3D modeling than 2D drawing. I like your platformer idea, but I fly past most AI very quickly, so I'd personally prefer a PvP-centric game.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

@UltraHau, have you even used Unity? O_o It's incredibly easy and it has a level editor built in, plus it helps you organize your code. I did some quick research on Panda... it looks simple, but nowhere near the level of Unity: to replicate Panda's "hello world" tutorial in Unity you wouldn't have to write any code at all. It also seems like the sort of thing where the complexity would explode as soon as you work on something that's not a tutorial or tech demo. Anyways, like I said, I'm working on a procedural open-world RPG. I'm going to post a topic as soon as I have controls and basic terrain generation polished, plus I want to add basic combat.

Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy

IrMSNn3.png

@UltraHau, have you even used Unity? O_o It's incredibly easy and it has a level editor built in, plus it helps you organize your code. I did some quick research on Panda... it looks simple, but nowhere near the level of Unity: to replicate Panda's "hello world" tutorial in Unity you wouldn't have to write any code at all. It also seems like the sort of thing where the complexity would explode as soon as you work on something that's not a tutorial or tech demo.

I don't know about you, but I'm a code guy (and UltraHau is too). I much prefer writing code to working with GUIs that allegedly make things easier for me. Also, Disney has used Panda3D for some pretty complex projects (like Pirates of the Caribbean Online). That said, I still doubt Panda compared to Unity.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

@UltraHau, have you even used Unity? O_o It's incredibly easy and it has a level editor built in, plus it helps you organize your code. I did some quick research on Panda... it looks simple, but nowhere near the level of Unity: to replicate Panda's "hello world" tutorial in Unity you wouldn't have to write any code at all. It also seems like the sort of thing where the complexity would explode as soon as you work on something that's not a tutorial or tech demo. Anyways, like I said, I'm working on a procedural open-world RPG. I'm going to post a topic as soon as I have controls and basic terrain generation polished, plus I want to add basic combat.

Unity is fine, and quite simple as long as you stay within Unity Free's self-imposed limits. Chief among these are:
  • [*]Serious scripting, which Panda really beats Unity in - Python (which Panda uses) is used by ILM and NASA, among others. It's also the simplest "serious" language I've ever seen; even simpler than BASIC[*]Special effects, including (but not limited to) shaders in general, shadow maps, stencil shadows, SSAO, bloom, volumetric lighting, and toon shading - Panda supports all of these out of the box, while Unity Free doesn't[*]Price - Panda is completely free, open-source software, while you must pay money for Unity's more advanced features[*]Multi-platform support - Panda supports Windows, Linux, Mac OSX and BSD out of the box, while Unity only supports Windows and Mac OSX

As a matter of fact, the more complicating a project gets, the more unwieldy Unity becomes. For example, say you want to make some AI in Unity that provides support for other AI units, hides behind terrain and debris, automatically retreats when low on health, and integrates perfectly with multiple players competing across a network. That's the sort of thing where Python (like other text-based languages) excels: non-trivial tasks that need to be created, edited, and reviewed quickly.

@UltraHau, have you even used Unity? O_o It's incredibly easy and it has a level editor built in, plus it helps you organize your code. I did some quick research on Panda... it looks simple, but nowhere near the level of Unity: to replicate Panda's "hello world" tutorial in Unity you wouldn't have to write any code at all. It also seems like the sort of thing where the complexity would explode as soon as you work on something that's not a tutorial or tech demo.

I don't know about you, but I'm a code guy (and UltraHau is too). I much prefer writing code to working with GUIs that allegedly make things easier for me. Also, Disney has used Panda3D for some pretty complex projects (like Pirates of the Caribbean Online). That said, I still doubt Panda compared to Unity.
In terms of what? Complexity?

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I don't see a point and comparing engines. Unity was made for one set of objectives, UnrealDK for another, and Panda3D for yet another. Which engine you should use really only depends on what you want to accomplish (2D game, 3D game, casual vs. "hardcore", mobile vs. desktop) and how you want to accomplish it (e.g. visual design vs. code). Only individual research will help with that.

As for a different idea, I would like a platforming game with some variety. For instance, multiple characters would be nice, or things such as different mask powers. One thing though is some unique elements, such as rahkshi of elasticity having stretchy limbs like Ristar from his game, or the Werehog from Sonic Unleashed. I'm mainly looking for a platforming game with a good deal of variety, while still being a platforming game at it's core, as opposed to being a genre-roulette like Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues is doing this quite nicely, however, it is first and foremost a fighting game. If it could be expanded to have a single player/co-op mode that plays like a platformer, that would be perfect. So yeah, something like that, preferably 2D since 3D games are harder to program and take a lot longer to make.

You basically just described Toa's Quest 3. However, it's the only one of its kind. Another platform game that builds upon the variety that TQ3 establish would make a great addition though. Edited by Emzee

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

I don't see a point and comparing engines. Unity was made for one set of objectives, UnrealDK for another, and Panda3D for yet another. Which engine you should use really only depends on what you want to accomplish (2D game, 3D game, casual vs. "hardcore", mobile vs. desktop) and how you want to accomplish it (e.g. visual design vs. code). Only individual research will help with that.

And I have done individual research. Unity is good for small games that you make in a few weeks, maybe a month; but what comes out of that time is fairly unimpressive, and rigid. Panda requires you to learn Python (which I already know), and do a little more up-front work, but it's far more extensible, more intuitive to programmers (IMHO), and the end-result looks far better than anything that could be accomplished with Unity Free - no clue about the commercial version of Unity, which I haven't used nor seen. Which brings me to another major advantage of Panda: it's completely free and open-source. There will never be a engine feature you have to pay for, and if you want to add functionality to it, or fix a bug, you're free (literally) to download the source code, make any modifications you want, and then do whatever you want with your modifications, including selling them (royalty-free). Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Serious scripting, which Panda really beats Unity in - Python (which Panda uses) is used by ILM and NASA, among others. It's also the simplest "serious" language I've ever seen; even simpler than BASIC

UnityScript is a fine programming language, although IMO it feels like ActionScript (they're basically the same anyway): a bunch of extra features stapled on to an otherwise reasonably elegant language (ECMAScript). Anyway, you can definitely use UnityScript -- or one of the other languages Unity supports (like Boo, which is heavily inspired by Python) -- to do serious scripting.Just for the record, Lua is far simpler than Python, and it's a serious language (which is used for game development a lot) and Ruby is close, if not simpler.Still, I agree with this point. Python is an easier language to get work done in, unless you happen to like ActionScript and similar languages.

Yeah.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Serious scripting, which Panda really beats Unity in - Python (which Panda uses) is used by ILM and NASA, among others. It's also the simplest "serious" language I've ever seen; even simpler than BASIC

UnityScript is a fine programming language, although IMO it feels like ActionScript (they're basically the same anyway): a bunch of extra features stapled on to an otherwise reasonably elegant language (ECMAScript). Anyway, you can definitely use UnityScript -- or one of the other languages Unity supports (like Boo, which is heavily inspired by Python) -- to do serious scripting.Just for the record, Lua is far simpler than Python, and it's a serious language (which is used for game development a lot) and Ruby is close, if not simpler.Still, I agree with this point. Python is an easier language to get work done in, unless you happen to like ActionScript and similar languages.
The main problem I have with UnityScript is that it's yet another language I have to learn, which I'd prefer not to do. One language may not sound like much, but I've had this happen to me before 14 times...

Yeah.
No offense, but exactly how much programming have you done? That "Hello World" Panda3D example is a piece of cake - trivial even - to 100% of programming done in the real world. If you want to make a top-notch game, be prepared to do quite a bit of complex programming.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

well if you like panda3d so much, why dont you make a test game? :D arguing over engines gets us nowhere. since you like your engine so much, why dont you make something to prove it is better? and whoever wins gets the support of making a fulll game?i just want progress

well if you like panda3d so much, why dont you make a test game? :biggrin: arguing over engines gets us nowhere. since you like your engine so much, why dont you make something to prove it is better? and whoever wins gets the support of making a fulll game?i just want progress

I actually have made a AA-quality game with Panda; but its main site has forums, so I can't link to it, unfortunately (at least I don't think I can - can I get a clarification? It has secondary sites that don't have forums). It's completely free and open-source, though. I'm guessing you mean a Bionicle game, though; I worked on one a little while ago, but never really did anything - that other game project I mentioned I made got in the way. Here's a screenshot of a concept art-stage 3D model of an in-game gun, though. If you want progress, helping out is a good way to create it :)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png