What Would You Like To See In A Fan Game?

Emzee

Online gameplay or like a World War Bionicle fight

You're in luck! If you haven't been following the last few posts, we're planning to create a Bionicle multiplayer Third-and-First-Person Shooter!
Also something to prevent your ally from fragging you purposely
Hmm, maybe, maybe not. Adding the ability to get hit by friendly fire may add some interesting gameplay. I'd prefer a "vote-kick" system, to kick trolls and other troublemakers off the server, which I also think is more flexible/expandable.Oh yeah: This is a hot topic now! :biggrin:
So would fragging AFK or people who are just standing still be ok? I usually do that to players on Halo just to collect their ammo or just for fun.
AFK people, no. You wouldn't want someone shooting you while you were AFK, would you? :)

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Being AFK essentially means that you are a waste of a player slot as long as you are. I see no problem in fragging people who stand still, as they can at any moment come back to their keyboard and shoot you in the back instead. If someone is going to be AFK for a short time, they should be AFK in spawn.

or you could add a spectator mode, which you could access in the menu that you can switch to when you are afk

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

How about you don't spawn until you actually click a "Spawn" button or something? That way an AFK player can only be killed once.

oh, I thought that must have already been meantioned because usually the time before you press the respawn button is a good time to type in chat Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

How about you don't spawn until you actually click a "Spawn" button or something? That way an AFK player can only be killed once.

oh, I thought that must have already been meantioned because usually the time before you press the respawn button is a good time to type in chat
How about, if you don't click the respawn button (any button) for a certain amount of time you will automatically be kick out of the room Edited by Rix

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Well... If you were to go all the way and code a GAME... I would actually love to see a Bionicle MMORPG. Something where you get an index of parts, build your own character, and be a hero. Be a Toa, Matoran, Skakdi... Anything, really. How cool would THAT be? Maybe set it in the time right before Makuta took over.

Well... If you were to go all the way and code a GAME... I would actually love to see a Bionicle MMORPG. Something where you get an index of parts, build your own character, and be a hero. Be a Toa, Matoran, Skakdi... Anything, really. How cool would THAT be? Maybe set it in the time right before Makuta took over.

If you're willing to cover the cost of maintaining the severs - over $200/month - sure :POn a more serious note, 1) this is way over the heads of any programmers who frequent BZP 2) this is way too expensive to maintain; I'm not joking about the $200/month maintenance fee 3) We've already decided what sort of game we're going to make; so all discussion right now is focusing upon specific features the game will have.EDIT: Post #212 - a palindrome :) Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Would anyone be interested in seeing a Choose Your Own Adventure Text Based Game based on Bionicle, or a Bionicle RPG based off the Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolset?

Personally, no; but that's just me.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Are y'all going to need an artist to help with the design of this game? If so, I'd be glad to help.

That would be great - all the current team members are primarily programmers :) If you want to work on it, feel free to make a account on GitHub, which we're using to coordinate development.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Are y'all going to need an artist to help with the design of this game? If so, I'd be glad to help.

That would be great - all the current team members are primarily programmers :) If you want to work on it, feel free to make a account on GitHub, which we're using to coordinate development.
Actually, I have no experience in making games other than making the occasional level in LittleBigPlanet http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gif I can however draw anything you guys may need whether it's characters, weapons, or maps( in other words stages for the players to fight on)

A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

Actually, I have no experience in making games other than making the occasional level in LittleBigPlanet http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gif I can however draw anything you guys may need whether it's characters, weapons, or maps( in other words stages for the players to fight on)
OK, as long as you have experience with a 3D modeling tool and/or a 2D drawing tool, it's OK by me - I can't speak for the other team members, though.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Would anyone be interested in seeing a Choose Your Own Adventure Text Based Game based on Bionicle, or a Bionicle RPG based off the Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolset?

I'd certainly play a well-designed text-based game, but I'm not particularly interested in that, and they're surprisingly easy to do wrong. (too much text, poorly written dialogue, players expected to have psychic powers, etc)As for Neverwinter Nights, I'd caution you on making a modd of another game because that requires your players to have the base game, which narrows down our already small audience.

I think what UltraHau meant is that it's a good thing to have a non-programmer on board - programmers are notoriously bad at art.The plan is to make a 3D game, so experience with a tool like Blender would be best, but we could still use your help even if you can't do 3D modelling. Even concept art could go a long way toward making this a great-looking game.

IrMSNn3.png

I'd certainly play a well-designed text-based game, but I'm not particularly interested in that, and they're surprisingly easy to do wrong. (too much text, poorly written dialogue, players expected to have psychic powers, etc)As for Neverwinter Nights, I'd caution you on making a modd of another game because that requires your players to have the base game, which narrows down our already small audience.

I think what UltraHau meant is that it's a good thing to have a non-programmer on board - programmers are notoriously bad at art.The plan is to make a 3D game, so experience with a tool like Blender would be best, but we could still use your help even if you can't do 3D modelling. Even concept art could go a long way toward making this a great-looking game.
Alright. just send me a PM of any info regarding the game that I might need. For example, what bionicle characters/ races will be playable and what do you want them to look like?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

All that information is already available in this topic (save for how we want them to look), but I'll PM you what species will be playable anyway :) As for what they should look like: I think that should be a team discussion. Perhaps it should be discussed on the newly-created wiki?

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Let's keep decisions in the wiki and discussions on the forum.I think we should stick pretty close to the set - though geometry should be greatly simplified for many reasons - performance, modeller's sanity, and general graphical quality (perfectly set-accurate models tend to have wonky lighting and every little mistake stands out).Related to gameplay, Vahki and Rahkshi should be slightly modified to have the same skeletal structure, and Skakdi and Toa should be the same size. That's so hitboxes are consistent between the two factions - we wouldn't want one race to be harder to aim at than its equivalent on the opposing team.

IrMSNn3.png

I mostly agree with you JKK, but BZP is a tad... unreliable... these days. We might not be able to get the team back together if BZP goes down again.

Which type of toa will we be using as there are many different kinds of toa. Also, could someone provide me with a link to the wiki?

We'll be using all 6 primary elements for both Toa and Skakdi - fire, water, air, stone, ice, and earth. Here's a link to the wiki: https://github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/Call-of-Destiny/wiki

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I think he meant "what body style". :) Mata, Metru, Inika, etc. In-story they are all the same size, though, so having different styles shouldn't be problem as long as each is fitted onto the same basic skeleton.Regarding race hit-boxes: I don't think it will be a problem if they are slightly different. TF2, for example, has different boxes for all classes, but I don't think of Soldiers as easier to hit than Snipers apart from movement speed differences.Similarly, in my own game (advertisiiing), Rahkshi have slightly larger hit-boxes and also don't fall down when in hit-stun, thus making them easier to hit multiple times. And yet, it's not really an issue, due to other abilities (like flight).Speaking of which: Will you make Rahkshi able to transfer into "flight mode"? Free flight in any game tends to make me squeal with joy.

Edited by Katuko

Speaking of which: Will you make Rahkshi able to transfer into "flight mode"? Free flight in any game tends to make me squeal with joy.

I doubt it, unless an identical power for Vahki was introduced.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Speaking of which: Will you make Rahkshi able to transfer into "flight mode"? Free flight in any game tends to make me squeal with joy.

I'm pretty sure Vahki or at least most had the ability to fly in the bionicle storyline. Here's the article on Biosector01: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Vahki

I'm pretty sure Vahki or at least most had the ability to fly in the bionicle storyline. Here's the article on Biosector01: http://biosector01.c...index.php/Vahki
Hmm, good point. If flight powers are given to both Vahki and Rahkshi, they must be nerfed in some other attribute to balance them out with Toa/Skakdi. Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I'm pretty sure Vahki or at least most had the ability to fly in the bionicle storyline. Here's the article on Biosector01: http://biosector01.c...index.php/Vahki
Hmm, good point. If flight powers are given to both Vahki and Rahkshi, they must be nerfed in some other attribute to balance them out with Toa/Skakdi.
mask of flight. nuff' said

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

Hmm, good point. If flight powers are given to both Vahki and Rahkshi, they must be nerfed in some other attribute to balance them out with Toa/Skakdi.
Speaking of masks, I though of what each one should do in Bionicle: Call of Destiny. These are just merely some ideas.Mask of Shielding: Boosts defensesMask of Flight: Allows the user to fly aroundMask of X-ray Vision: Allows the user to see through wallsMask of Strength: Boosts attack powerMask of Speed: Makes the user walk/run fasterMask of Invisibility: Makes the user invisibleAlso, I've already drawn three pieces of concept art for Bionicle: Call of Destiny, so you guys be sure to tell me what y'all think.http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pickle962/BM/ta-wahi_beach_1.jpg Ta-Wahi Beach 1http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pickle962/BM/ta-wahi_beach_2.jpg Ta-Wahi Beach 2http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pickle962/BM/100_1356.jpg Tahu Mata

That "buffs" the Toa/Skakdi (i.e, it increases their power); it doesn't nerf the Vahki/Rahkshi. Besides, we already decided against masks earlier. I think Vahki/Rahkshi should either have less health or attack damage in exchange for the ability of flight, if they get such an ability, but I'd like to see what JKK and alpha123 think.

If I'm imagining the gameplay correctly, it will feel like a mix between Zelda and Mass Effect 2, correct?I can help with general game design if you want me to, and do some concept art as well.

Depends upon which LoZ game you're referring to, but it's probably going to be closer to Quake III in terms of gameplay - fast, with maybe a few acrobatic maneuvers. I haven't played Mass Effect 2, so I can't say whether Call of Destiny will be similar. Help with game design and concept art is always welcome :) Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Maybe BIONICLE Heroes would be a more familiar comparison. Over-the-shoulder view, mouse aim. Zooms or transfers to first-person when aiming certain attacks, such as sniper rifles. Apart from the basic "shoot/alt-fire" setup of the mouse, you have abilities on hotkeys from 1 to 4.Example setup in Mass Effect 2:Mouse 1: Fire rifleMouse 2: Aim rifle (scope)Key 1: Tactical cloak (invisible for 5 seconds, attacks do extra damage but break cloak)Key 2: Hack (area burst that debilitates robots)Key 3: Cryo ammo (makes all shots freeze the target while active)Key 4: Incinerate (homing fireball that debilitates the target)R: Reload (grenade in ME1, which used a cooldown system for guns instead)What it could be in this game:Mouse 1: Melee slashMouse 2: Basic elemental powerHotkeys: Additional elemental abilitiesR: Species ability (activate eventual flight mode, etc.)

Edited by Katuko

Maybe BIONICLE Heroes would be a more familiar comparison. Over-the-shoulder view, mouse aim. Zooms or transfers to first-person when aiming certain attacks, such as sniper rifles. Apart from the basic "shoot/alt-fire" setup of the mouse, you have abilities on hotkeys from 1 to 4.Example setup in Mass Effect 2:Mouse 1: Fire rifleMouse 2: Aim rifle (scope)Key 1: Tactical cloak (invisible for 5 seconds, attacks do extra damage but break cloak)Key 2: Hack (area burst that debilitates robots)Key 3: Cryo ammo (makes all shots freeze the target while active)Key 4: Incinerate (homing fireball that debilitates the target)What it could be in this game:Mouse 1: Melee slashMouse 2: Basic elemental powerHotkeys: Additional elemental abilities

Except for the ability to switch from a 3rd-person camera to a 1st-person one at leisure (so those who prefer a 1st-person camera - like me - can use it), that was basically what we decided on earlier, actually.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Maybe BIONICLE Heroes would be a more familiar comparison. Over-the-shoulder view, mouse aim. Zooms or transfers to first-person when aiming certain attacks, such as sniper rifles. Apart from the basic "shoot/alt-fire" setup of the mouse, you have abilities on hotkeys from 1 to 4. Example setup in Mass Effect 2: Mouse 1: Fire rifle Mouse 2: Aim rifle (scope) Key 1: Tactical cloak (invisible for 5 seconds, attacks do extra damage but break cloak) Key 2: Hack (area burst that debilitates robots) Key 3: Cryo ammo (makes all shots freeze the target while active) Key 4: Incinerate (homing fireball that debilitates the target) R: Reload (grenade in ME1, which used a cooldown system for guns instead) What it could be in this game: Mouse 1: Melee slash Mouse 2: Basic elemental power Hotkeys: Additional elemental abilities R: Species ability (activate eventual flight mode, etc.)

how about holding right mouse down makes you charge your element blast, almost like a small grenade, with the effects of the element (makes nearby people burn with fire, ice frezzes nearbytargets, earth makes giant explosion of dirt doing splash damage, etc)

how about holding right mouse down makes you charge your element blast, almost like a small grenade, with the effects of the element (makes nearby people burn with fire, ice frezzes nearbytargets, earth makes giant explosion of dirt doing splash damage, etc)

Interesting suggestion. I'd like to see what the other team members think of this first, though.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Speaking of masks, I though of what each one should do in Bionicle: Call of Destiny. These are just merely some ideas.Mask of Shielding: Boosts defensesMask of Flight: Allows the user to fly aroundMask of X-ray Vision: Allows the user to see through wallsMask of Strength: Boosts attack powerMask of Speed: Makes the user walk/run fasterMask of Invisibility: Makes the user invisibleAlso, I've already drawn three pieces of concept art for Bionicle: Call of Destiny, so you guys be sure to tell me what y'all think.http://www.brickshel...ahi_beach_1.jpg Ta-Wahi Beach 1http://www.brickshel...ahi_beach_2.jpg Ta-Wahi Beach 2http://www.brickshel...BM/100_1356.jpg Tahu Mata
I think that's a good idea with the masks. If we're going to have classes, we could have them be designated by masks, just like in Call of Duty how they have different suits to represent things, such as a Ghillie Suit for stealth, or a heavy-armor suit for explosion resistance. Of course, we could always have different types of armor to represent classes if you wish. If they're not too set-accurate we can use different types of armor such as metru, nuva, inika, etc. I dunno how we'd show classes for the other species though.Also, are we gonna make it likes Heroes where we just use normal weapons adapted slightly to be energy guns? Mainly the Vahki, who I'm hoping would shoot kanoka disks, with the different elements on the disk representing different weapon types (fire=machine gun, air=shotgun, etc.) Also, are we planning on having primary and secondary weapons, such as the vahki having kanoka disks and their staffs, toa having melee weapons and zamor launchers, etc.

Interesting suggestion. I'd like to see what the other team members think of this first, though.
I think that would be cool. Though I think it would be interesting if certain weapons required charging, such as Kongu Inika's laser crossbow, instead of them all requiring charging. However, we need to remember that this is a 1st/3rd person shooter, so we don't want to go overboard with different powers.
rarity-with-wings.jpgrarity-heart.png <<Newest Chibi: Nuparu Inika

I'm imagining Vahki carrying their staffs as primary attack and right-click would shoot a Kanoka disk. They could switch to "crawl mode" and then lose staffs (using them as "legs") and instead have primary be flight as long as they are in that mode.Vahki combat mode: Bipedal, staff attack (quick melee/hold for beam attack) and Kanoka disks (has a short recharge timer while a new disk forms).Vahki travel mode: Quadrupedal, faster movement speed but no staff attack, glide-flight and Kanoka disks.Similarly, Rahkshi could use the same form of "plus this, minus that".Rahkshi combat mode: Bipedal, has staff attack and their special power.Rahkshi flight mode: "Sitting down", quick flight but limited to basic beam shots.If these two species can fly then I think Toa should be able to use masks as a substitute, though they would need to be similarly limited somehow.BIONICLE canon: Huna = unlimited invisibility as long as concentration holds.My game: Huna = invisible as long as you got energy points left.Mass Effect 2 Tactical Cloak: Invisible for 5 seconds, attacks break cloak instantly but does bonus "sneak attack" damage. Recharges after 10 seconds.Team Fortress 2 Spy Invisibility Watch: Invisible for up to 8 seconds, can pick up ammo to recharge while still cloaked. Touching an opponent makes you flicker, cannot attack while cloaked.Note that the TF2 Spy has an instant-kill attack in the form of his back-stabbin' knife, so as long as no Toa has that then "attacks break cloak" should be sufficient.Masks like the Hau could create an aimable energy field that does not shield you from the side or behind and makes you unable to move or attack while shielding. Look at the Global Agenda melee energy shield to get a related example. Kakama would boost your run speed but make you unable to turn or attack while running (Mass Effect sprint button).I'm imagining this for a loadout screen (taking notes from my own setup here, but hey):Toa: Select element, weapon and mask. Element defines special attacks, weapon is just basic melee (no special powers unless granted by the element; such as the Fire Sword) and the mask gives an additional, limited ability.Decent at ranged elemental attacks and are rather versatile.Rahkshi: Select power and weapon. Gets flight instead of mask. Physically tough.Strong at melee and good at closing distance/avoiding shots with flight.Vahki: Select staff and Kanoka type. Gets flight/speed mode instead of mask.Medium in most stats. Kanoka can have one special effect at a time (homing, freezing, weaken, etc). Staff power can only be used with a charged attack.Skakdi: Select element and weapon type, plus a vision power. Brutal with but melee and elements but very inaccurate and/or limited in other ways.Limited elemental ability but can have a powered weapon. Vision power should be mostly passive and movement speed relatively slow to offset their high attack power.These are all just ideas, of course. Criticize at will.

Edited by Katuko

WOoooooooooooooooah so many posts can't reply to them allI think we should exchange email addresses or something over PM so the team can communicate in the event BZP becomes inoperable again.Toa types, graphically - I'd say Mata, for nostalgia's nake.Race differences - I don't see any problems with differences as long as Toa/Skakdi and Vahki/Rahkshi play exactly the same - I don't want even slight gameplay differences based on faction.Masks - masks are OK as long the player doesn't get to choose them when they spawn. They would work very nicely as power-ups, though. Using them as power-ups also solves the problem of three out of our four races being canonically unable to wear masks.Gameplay - Mass Effect yes, as far the abilities go; I'd also say it's similar to Battlefield Heroes. Probably not Zelda, though.Flight sounds tricky - it's a really exploitable game mechanic. Let's make sure none of the Vakhi/Rahkshi have sniper-like weapons if we do that, and let's make flight relatively slow in order to offset difficulty in aiming at a flying opponent; more like hovering than flying.First-person camera key - I'd personally map it to the right or middle mouse button. I personally plan to use it as a sort of scope/sight system.Elemental Blast - sounds pretty cool, let's file that idea away for when we're ready for more advanced gameplay stuff.@Hyper Rarity: Classes are basically elements so we don't have to worry about that, although this game will be pretty frustrating for any color-blind fans.

IrMSNn3.png

The development team already decided against masks earlier in the topic, so all mask-related suggestions are out unfortunately, but I'll go over the other ones:Most of what you suggested Katuko that didn't have to do with masks had to do with imbalanced teams. While that arguably makes better gameplay, the team (that being me, alpha123, and Jedi Knight Krazy) decided against it earlier in the thread for the following reasons:

• [*]It makes the game very hard to balance[*]It puts a larger load on both programmers and artists (more code and art needed for more attacks)[*]It makes the game itself more complicated

EDIT: JKK suggested the idea of masks as powerups. Skakdi can canonically wear/use Kanohi (Vezon is probably the most well-known example), so I'm fine with this, I guess.Your idea of having more than one variable per class - i.e, having a selectable Kanoka disk power and staff power for Vahki, and similar attributes for Rahkshi - sound interesting, but I personally don't want to do that for the same reasons masks were rejected - it makes balancing the game a hassle. As for Toa/Skakdi melee weapons, I don't think melee weapons are used often enough in 1st-person shooter to warrant us making some, at least at the moment. (and if we did, I'd prefer it to be locked - 1 melee weapon pre-selected for each class). Having the ability for the Vahki to shoot Kanoka disks sounds interesting, but we need an identical power for Rahkshi, to keep the game balanced.@Everyone: If we're going to give Vahki/Rahkshi flight abilites, they must have some other ability removed/nerfed. Any suggestions?EDIT: JKK suggested slowing down the Vahki/Rahkshi in flight mode, but I personally don't think that's enough. That's just me though.

Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

OK, so masks and multiple powers are out. How about this then:Toa and Skakdi: Elemental powers with various effects, can channel the element through their weapon for more powerful attacks.Rahkshi and Vahki: Kraata power/Vahki ability, can "glide" short distances. I'm not sure how best to handle the Vahki, as their powers were mostly based around messing with your mind. If they are only allowed to fire Kanoka, then those Kanoka need to be charged with some power. Perhaps variations on the Rahkshi powers; the Vahki just channel them through disks as a visual explanation.Say we got fire/water/air/stone/earth/ice as the Toa/Skakdi elements, and poison/life drain/electricity/explosive/freeze/plasma as Rahkshi/Vahki powers. Rahkshi use beams, Vahki use disks, but both got the same effect in the end, with disks that explode, send electricity flying, etc?