What Would You Like To See In A Fan Game?

Emzee

^And that there is why I asked if you wanted to change the name of the thread. :P

Perhaps a name change or thread split might be useful, after all ^_^

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I just want a BIONICLE RTS (BTW I only read the first page of replies so if you guys are discussing something, I have no idea what to say) which I think someone mentioned before.

I considering making an RTS once... then I started listing out the work I'd need to do for a basic playable demo and abandoned that idea.

Okay - Panda support shadows and quite a few other graphical effects out of the box (so you don't have to write your own shaders for most effects), but you should keep several things in mind:

• [*]Some post-processing effects - SSAO most notably - will really kill your framerate, and will make B:CoD unplayable on computers with mid to low-end GPUs. Shadow maps (cascaded, parallel-split, or simple) are fine, but baked shadows + ambient occlusion is the first approach we should consider - it's much cheaper, and looks much better.[*]There are very few (if any) debugging tools for shaders. If something doesn't work the way you think it should, you don't have too many ways to figure out what's wrong.[*]Baked/pre-calculated effects is what we should consider first, especially considering the nature of our game. Most FPSes bake ambient occlusion and shadows/lighting into their maps and models, and I think it's what we should consider first.
Lol, don't worry, I'm not going to go crazy-indie-developer-in-an-eye-candy-store. If the game doesn't run on my integrated-graphics laptop (which, mind you, can't run Minecraft), I'm going to cut back or make things optional. I definitely think map lighting/shadowing should be baked, but characters should definitely have dynamic shadows as an option.I also don't really intend to write my own shaders, but I will if the art style requires it. Once in Unity, I tried to replicate the look of 2001-2003 Bionicle comics and was mostly successful.

^And that there is why I asked if you wanted to change the name of the thread. :P

I wonder just how much progress we really need before we can post a topic. Screenshot of a teapot anyone?

IrMSNn3.png

Lol, don't worry, I'm not going to go crazy-indie-developer-in-an-eye-candy-store. If the game doesn't run on my integrated-graphics laptop (which, mind you, can't run Minecraft), I'm going to cut back or make things optional. I definitely think map lighting/shadowing should be baked, but characters should definitely have dynamic shadows as an option.

As an owner of an Intel GM45 GPU, I can already tell you you can cross out SSAO from that list :)

I wonder just how much progress we really need before we can post a topic. Screenshot of a teapot anyone?

I'm not sure how much progress we need - maybe we should ask B6 or one of the FCG moderators.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

You must have proof that you have already started creating the game. Do not simply post your idea for a game. Evidence that you have begun work could be in the form of a screenshot' date=' a demo download, or something similar. Do not simply post, "I have already started."[/quote']A screenshot would be enough, but a demo is of course recommended.
Edited by Katuko

You must have proof that you have already started creating the game. Do not simply post your idea for a game. Evidence that you have begun work could be in the form of a screenshot' date=' a demo download, or something similar. Do not simply post, "I have already started."[/quote']A screenshot would be enough, but a demo is of course recommended.
Hmm... It might be a while before B:CoD gets its own thread then ^_^

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

well maybe you should actually start working on it then, other than arguing over what to do, which is as far as i know the only thing you programmers are doing.you could get atleast started on getting a demo where you walk around. (mostly a tech demo) so you could atleast get a topic

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

well maybe you should actually start working on it then, other than arguing over what to do, which is as far as i know the only thing you programmers are doing.you could get atleast started on getting a demo where you walk around. (mostly a tech demo) so you could atleast get a topic

Thanks for that suggestion Bulik. As for the demo, I think just merely walking around isn't going to cut it for BCOD. Speaking of that, I've got two new pieces of concept art for you guys that I drew at school when I was bored. Right now though, my camera is out of juice and I need to recharge it and if that's not enough, I've got some personal stuff to attend to this weekend, so it'll be awhile before I can get around to posting it.

A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

well maybe you should actually start working on it then, other than arguing over what to do, which is as far as i know the only thing you programmers are doing.

Figuring out how to program B:CoD is a very important thing; otherwise, you might have to wait longer for features like multiplayer. If all of us programmers are not on the same page, we're going to step on each other's toes and mess the code up.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

well maybe you should actually start working on it then, other than arguing over what to do, which is as far as i know the only thing you programmers are doing.

Figuring out how to program B:CoD is a very important thing; otherwise, you might have to wait longer for features like multiplayer. If all of us programmers are not on the same page, we're going to step on each other's toes and mess the code up.
Bionicle Call of Duty with guns? Or is it just melee range weapons that can shoot stuff outta it?

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

It's going to be primarily a shooter, but don't hold your breath for guns. This game is all about elemental powers.

That being said, several weapons will probably have gun-like properties, correct?

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

It's going to be primarily a shooter, but don't hold your breath for guns. This game is all about elemental powers.

That being said, several weapons will probably have gun-like properties, correct?
From what I understand, yes. Maybe even some elemental powers will be gun-like (fireball).

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

For starters; Mac support. Then, maybe better detail and quality in the sound part of things.

If we weren't using a game engine that had Mac support, Mac support would be really low on my to-do list for B:CoD.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Or we could shift the planning conversation to email or PM, because at this point we're getting too technical for anyone who's not on the team to care about.

you took the words right out of my mouth

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Or we could shift the planning conversation to email or PM, because at this point we're getting too technical for anyone who's not on the team to care about.

Sounds good to me. I say go with email.

For starters; Mac support. Then, maybe better detail and quality in the sound part of things.

If we weren't using a game engine that had Mac support, Mac support would be really low on my to-do list for B:CoD.
Agreed, though it would be hard to justify implementing Linux support if Panda didn't have that already either (besides 2 team members using Linux) :)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

You guys need anybody to make music? I have examples of my stuff on my SoundCloud page, link in my signature. (Pieces of interest- Gaining Ground, Light, The Chronicler's Party, Frozen Code) Cause this seems pretty cool, and I think it'd be awesome if I could be a part of it, even if it's just with music.Word of advice though, plan ahead. Like plan every little thing ahead. It's caused some problems for the folks over at B:NG, and poor early on planning can't be fixed, you have to wipe the slate clean to get started again.-Snipe

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

Agreed.

Agreed, though it would be hard to justify implementing Linux support if Panda didn't have that already either (besides 2 team members using Linux) :)

Actually, most of the time I'm on Windows (Windows 7 is surprisingly comfortable). I switch to Linux when I need to use NodeJS (which I can't get running on Windows) or SBCL (which is experimental on Windows), or sometimes just for fun. :P

Muffin button

You guys need anybody to make music? I have examples of my stuff on my SoundCloud page, link in my signature. (Pieces of interest- Gaining Ground, Light, The Chronicler's Party, Frozen Code) Cause this seems pretty cool, and I think it'd be awesome if I could be a part of it, even if it's just with music.Word of advice though, plan ahead. Like plan every little thing ahead. It's caused some problems for the folks over at B:NG, and poor early on planning can't be fixed, you have to wipe the slate clean to get started again.-Snipe

Music would be nice, but it's too early in the project to start composing anything - I (I can't speak for the other team members) will keep you in mind :)As for planning... *looks at previous 5-6 pages*... we've been doing quite a bit of that ^_^ It might be possible for us to do more planning, but it looks like planning (for now) will shift to email or PMs, so this thread might die down a little.

Actually, most of the time I'm on Windows (Windows 7 is surprisingly comfortable). I switch to Linux when I need to use NodeJS (which I can't get running on Windows) or SBCL (which is experimental on Windows), or sometimes just for fun. :P

Hand over your nerd card. :P

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pickle962/BM/100_1431.jpg Battle on the Beach 1http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pickle962/BM/100_1433.jpg Battle on the Beach 2As promised, two new pieces of concept art...

A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

Hand over your nerd card. :P

Sorry, I sold my nerd card to the devil in exchange for knowledge of all the Emacs key bindings. :P

http://www.brickshel...BM/100_1431.jpg Battle on the Beach 1http://www.brickshel...BM/100_1433.jpg Battle on the Beach 2As promised, two new pieces of concept art...

It's a little... blurry. From what I can make out though, it seems like you've focused on the characters a lot and the terrain barely at all, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we do need map concept art too.

Muffin button

http://www.brickshel...BM/100_1431.jpg Battle on the Beach 1http://www.brickshel...BM/100_1433.jpg Battle on the Beach 2As promised, two new pieces of concept art...

I'm afraid I have to agree with the other team members - both pictures are quite a bit blurry.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

can game ideas be general lego?

Um, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Can you use better grammar please?

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

he meant if the "what would you like to see in a fan game" can be general lego. you guys need a name change of the topic

he meant if the "what would you like to see in a fan game" can be general lego. you guys need a name change of the topic

....In case you missed it, we had that discussion already, and agreed that we're going to switch to email/PM for planning stuff.We should probably still post in here occasionally so people know what's going on.

Muffin button

....In case you missed it, we had that discussion already, and agreed that we're going to switch to email/PM for planning stuff.We should probably still post in here occasionally so people know what's going on.
I agree with alpha123 - status updates lets potential players see the project is still alive. Now, we need to decide whether to use email or PMs - I vote email.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

What we could have is an RTS. This would be during the BoM-DH war with the Toa. Three factions. As it is an RTS, there would be buildings to produce the units. It should be in line with the story, they would be portals for the Makuta and Toa, tunnels for the Dark Hunters and maybe a big flying vehicle-y thing. Vehicles may be Vultraz's thingy, and other stuff. Just a thought, as an RTS would be hard to make.

they already decided to make an FPS

We definitely need a 3D artist or two, but other than that, I'm not sure we need any extra help at this stage. As for a story mode, this will be a predominantly multiplayer game, so I don't think a story mode is necessary (or even a good thing).

a story mode is not necesary, but do you think that there will always be atleast 2 other people when you want to play a match (other than arranged times)? karzani no! I would atleast want an option (if not a story mode)so that you run around a map and raid a vahki hive, etc.
Aw, sad.

IMHO, a match against a few bots are far better than any story we could come up with at this stage. Besides, the game breaks with canon anyway, so I'm not sure how a story following canon would make sense.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

what about 2010? did you completely miss that giant brawl? just add some rahkshi and skadki botsin a desert with giant robots above them

GAH! This again!?I've said this several times already, so I'm going to say it briefly this time: sticking to canon only limits us and has no benefit other than a bit of nerd-contentment.Freeing ourselves allows us to create more nostalgic scenarios (we can make our maps famous places from Bionicle, for example, even if no battle like this took place there) and, more importantly, focus on making the game fun rather than accurate.

Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy

IrMSNn3.png

what about 2010? did you completely miss that giant brawl? just add some rahkshi and skadki botsin a desert with giant robots above them

For the second time, we've been over this before, Bulik. :)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

You guys are looking at it the wrong ways, IMO.We have lots of MMORPGS and FPS's. Don't try to make a BIONICLE version of them. Sure, it's BIONICLE, but it's nothing new.Try making a good game, something that regardless of BIONICLE would make it amazing. And use BIONICLE to make it better.I would play a million postmodernist 8-bit text adventures instead of a BIONICLE adaptation of something. New is better.Unless you can die of dysentery.

I see your point, but I think that the limited audience of BZPower (and more specifically, of the Fan Created Games forum) prevents us from taking risks and thinking like indie developers. We can't afford to limit our playerbase, so we chose the most universally popular genre - the shooter.That said, we haven't just decided to make a clone of Battlefield, Call of Duty, or Team Fortress with Bionicle graphics - we've added a lot of gameplay twists to really make it feel like Bionicle's crazy elemental battles.I can't help but notice the quote in your sig, though - if you'd like to make a "postmodernist 8-bit text adventure" of our own, I would love to play it. The best thing about a low-res text adventure is that it really only takes one person to create, while a multiplayer shooter has to be a team effort like we've organized here.

Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy

IrMSNn3.png

You guys are looking at it the wrong ways, IMO.We have lots of MMORPGS and FPS's. Don't try to make a BIONICLE version of them. Sure, it's BIONICLE, but it's nothing new.Try making a good game, something that regardless of BIONICLE would make it amazing. And use BIONICLE to make it better.I would play a million postmodernist 8-bit text adventures instead of a BIONICLE adaptation of something. New is better.Unless you can die of dysentery.

I disagree. First off, there's a reason FPSes are so popular these days (and why there are so many of them): They're a tried-and true genre - more smash-hit games have been in the FPS category than any other genre. Off the top of my head: Doom (I and II), Quake (I, II, and III), Unreal Tournament, Wolfenstein, Call of Duty, Counter Strike, and quite a few others.Secondly, an FPS is what was agreed upon earlier - we can't change that now; all the developers came together and decided what sort of Bionicle game they wanted, and they wanted an FPS.Thirdly, what do you mean by "try making a good game"? At least to me, it sounds like you're automatically assuming all FPSes are boring - according to the sale figures of Doom alone (over 20 million copies to date), the FPS is not exactly boring to most gamers.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

What I´m suggesting is somehow make BIONICLE not a theme, but somehow make it inherently part of the game itself. Or perhaps make it inventive in some other way. Thinking indie is the way to go. It´s the only way of getting your game an audience outside the puny site that is BZPower.If it is good enough to warrant attention and get on the front page, which it might since games rarely get up there, then audience won´t be that big of a problem, at least getting other BZPers who don´t visit here to play it.This is again, just my opinion, in case you all haven´t noticed it before. I´d play both games, but I´d honestly like a more interesting one better.Or you can disregard my opinion, make your game, and see it never go beyond a few BIONICLE sites.