Set Review: 44020 Flyer Beast vs Breez

Good review. What I love most about the comics in the instruction manuals is that each one is different. Hero Factory and BIONICLE sets have included mini-comics before, but these take things to a whole new level.

I have heard lots of criticisms of Flyer Beast's wings, and comparisons to the ones from the Batman constraction set, but in my opinion Flyer Beast's wings make some great improvements. For one, it's not just a single beam with two "fingers" attached — rather, it uses two smaller beams, adding articulation and pushing the "fingers" closer together. Furthermore, the wings on Flyer Beast really do a good job echoing the textures of the claw on the left arm.

My only complaint is that this is the only set with Breez; while Furno, Rocka and Stormer each have a machine (and Evo has two), all Breez gets are a pair of rocket boots. That said, I don't see any of the other heroes hijacking a beast, so there is that. Still, I hope that if the Invasion from Below continues into the summer we'll get a Breez machine of some sort (alongside the return of Surge, Bulk, Nex and Stringer, hopefully).

My only complaint is that this is the only set with Breez; while Furno, Rocka and Stormer each have a machine (and Evo has two), all Breez gets are a pair of rocket boots. That said, I don't see any of the other heroes hijacking a beast, so there is that. Still, I hope that if the Invasion from Below continues into the summer we'll get a Breez machine of some sort (alongside the return of Surge, Bulk, Nex and Stringer, hopefully).

Lego still being gender-dividing, I guess?

Lego still being gender-dividing, I guess?

I can't see how buyers would care whether the female character appears in a set with a giant monster or a set with a mech. Either way her name's in the set and she makes up a very small portion of the set's contents.

I think it's more likely that Evo was put in the smallest vehicle because his other vehicle set was the largest, and would be entirely outside the budget range of some buyers. And he was put with Splitter Beast because he and Furno had not appeared in any other "kaiju" sets, whereas Breez had.

Part of me wants Breez to get a machine later in the year, but part of me thinks it'd be more fun to MOC one myself. It'd be easy enough to duplicate those cockpit stickers; the only thing she'd lack would be a unique printed shell.

Does anyone else look at this and see Jaw Beast? I mean, I understand this one has wings and claws and yellow (green? I'm colorblind) instead of blue, but the vibe they give off, at least to me, is near identical.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Yeah, it struck me as the same, except for a few major differences: four limbs, more curved claws, yellow instead of purple, and Breez instead of Stormer.

With the "Breez talks to animals" thing, though - this one definitely gets an upgrade to super cool in my book. Definitely a storyline possibility to make use of, and that would help sell this set.

This set looks awesome, aside from the fact that it looks like Jaw Beast. I can't wait for someone to make a Ghost Rider MOC with that awesome chain.

"EXTERMINATE"-Dalek #1 to #3458271

If you have a self MOC you would like me to build just PM me and I'll make it as long as I have the pieces.

3DS Friend Code: 4699-6562-6279

Pokemon Y safari: Audino, Dunsparce and Chansey

Yeah, it struck me as the same, except for a few major differences: four limbs, more curved claws, yellow instead of purple, and Breez instead of Stormer.

With the "Breez talks to animals" thing, though - this one definitely gets an upgrade to super cool in my book. Definitely a storyline possibility to make use of, and that would help sell this set.

The 'Breez talks to animals' thing would be cool, yes

but somehow I find it very unlikely that a random fact like that about a Hero would come into play now, and not during, say, Savage Planet, or Brain Attack..

Considering it hasn't been mentioned in anything but her bio, as far as I know, it's just a cool thing to think of if you know it. :P

But hey, it's got Breez riding a huge thing using a radio tower or something as a club. I'm getting it. :P

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

The 'Breez talks to animals' thing would be cool, yes

but somehow I find it very unlikely that a random fact like that about a Hero would come into play now, and not during, say, Savage Planet, or Brain Attack..

Considering it hasn't been mentioned in anything but her bio, as far as I know, it's just a cool thing to think of if you know it. :P

But hey, it's got Breez riding a huge thing using a radio tower or something as a club. I'm getting it. :P

Zakaro

Breez talked to that one worm thing back in RotR. So it's not exactly something that's never been brought up before, but it does seem somewhat unlikely that it will come into play now....It would be pretty cool, though.

As for the set, Flyer Beast is probably my favorite of the three monster sets and one I'm definitely looking forward to getting.

AXKP5KC.png