Bzprpg - Ga-Wahi

Friar Tuck

IC: Liara

"I'm sorry, but he really can't be moved right now. I'm leery of moving him to another room, and that's a very short distance. I'll have to be extremely careful when I do.""I'd send him along with you in a heartbeat if I thought he could go, but ribs are tricky. He really shouldn't move unless it's an emergency." Liara glanced at Tehlin, and rolled her eyes. "Relax. Nothing major. You'll just be a bit... You know that sensation you get after a drink or two? Not quite intoxicated, but kind of fuzzy? Like that."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: Tehlin

Now, I normally wasn't very powerful against said looks, and given what these pain killers were doing to me, it was all the more effective. I managed to ignore it. "Can't get rid of me, huh?" I said to Liara, a roguish grin on my Kanohi. Before she had a chance to reply, or slap me, I looked back over to Savina and her adorable-sad-look-I-couldn't-say-no-to. "Is it really important?" I asked. "I mean, I've had broken ribs before, and... well... they suck."

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: Liara

Liara sighed loudly, after shooting a glare at Tehlin. "It would seem that I've been overruled. Fine, he can go. But be careful. And he has to come back here in one piece. I can't have a patient kicking the bucket on my watch."She turned, moving toward her pitcher of coffee.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: Savina - Liara's Home, Ga-koro -

Savina almost squealed with happiness, but she restrained herself...a little. "Thank you doctor! I promise I will be really careful and bring him back alive!"

With that she helped Tehlin up, carefully though and began to lead him toward the door. "This will all be worth it I promise." She told Tehlin as they exited.

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

I just smiled innocently at Liara, before glancing back at Savina. Karz, that needed to work, but Savina was just too darn stubborn. There was no wat that I could say no without it looking suspicious. I didn't need the other Toa of Plantlife to think anything of it. She seemed so... attached to Anthyn. I felt horrible not being able to trust her not to warn the Valkyr, but given how she had acted so far...

If anything, it made me hate the demonic angel even more. Still, appearances had to be kept up. I slowly pushed myself up from the chair, balancing myself on my feet. Just because I couldn't feel my ribs, it didn't mean I couldn't injure them even more. You had to be careful with painkillers, mainly because you couldn't tell if you were utterly destroying the already damaged area. Still, I felt nothing grating, so I should be okay. But this was nothing compared to where we were going. "Erm... Alright then, let's go," I said, wrapping an arm around Savina's shoulder as she helped me up. I was taller, so it wasn't that awkward to walk as she supported me.

"Ah, I may walk a bit slow..."

Well, at least it was a good excuse to have time to plan. Before we left, I glanced over to Liara. "Thank you, for fixing my ribs." And trying, as well as just listening to me. It was much more than what anyone else had done for me in recent days.

Then we were gone. Despite myself, I gave a small sigh. I was not looking forward to this. "So," I said, glancing down at Savina as we walked through the village, a small grin on my Kanohi. "What's so important, miss?"

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC (Cael)

The world blurred around her, and, in a rush of wind and motion, Joske and Cael were standing on Nokama's Pier.

It was midday, so most of the boats were berthed: the Ga-Koro fisherwomen did most of their work in the early morning, usually returning with their catches by about the tenth hour. The briny air was filled with the smell of fish and the sea.

Cael breathed deep; this was the smell she had grown up with. It reminded her of home.

Several Ga-Matoran were busy scrubbing their boats; others repaired nets or sails in the shade. One Matoran stood out from the rest; she stood in front of her hut, arms crossed, briskly directing people to and fro.

The healer smiled. Marka hadn't changed a bit.

The two Toa walked up to Marka's house, which doubled as the supply cabin for the docks. The Ga-Matoran sold all sorts of equipment and supplies out of her home, and operated as Chief Shipwright of the docks. She was hardworking, honest, and to-the-point. Feisty. Blunt.

"It's fifteen widgets for a roll of sailcloth! Overpriced? Don't give me that nonsense! If you're going to do a lazy job of caring for your sails, they're going to fall apart no matter how much you pay.”

The Ga-Matoran turned away from an annoyed-looking sailor lugging a tattered sail, and immediately caught sight of Cael and Joske. Her face broke into a wide smile. “Cael? Where on Mata Nui have you been?”

The healer smiled. “It's a long story. Joske and I -and some others- took a... trip around the island.”

The shipwright harrumphed at this, casting a critical eye over Joske; evidently, she had about the same opinion of him as Kotu.

“That's nice, I suppose. But-” her face suddenly paled. “Wait, you just got back? Then you haven't heard-”

“I've heard,” Cael replied, her stomach clenching at yet another reminder of Nokama. “I'm sorry.”

Looking for a way to change the subject, the Toa of Water remembered why they had come in the first place.

“We brought some of Shasa's goods,” she said, gesturing to the bag slung over Joske's shoulder. The Toa of Fire nodded, and shrugged the burden onto the ground; Marka opened it and looked through the weaving.

“Huh. Thanks,” she said. She looked up at the two Toa. “I'm surprised you got this Kolhii star to stoop to such glamourous work. Didn't think him to be the selfless type-”

Joske bristled at this, but before he could open his mouth to reply, Cael squeezed his shoulder, and knelt to look Marka in the eye.

“As a matter of fact,” she said softly. “We could use something in return, if you have it. But we can't discuss it here.”

The shipwright looked at her askance, then nodded. “Fine. We can talk in my hut. Get your superstar to bring the weaving in with him.”

“...and so Kotu gave us her charm, and sent us here.”

Cael drew a long breath as she finished her abbreviated tale. She'd skipped a lot, mainly touching on the temples, and how their doors were opened, and that it was absolutely imperative that they got in to each of them. Marka had remained stoic for most of it, but when the Toa of Water finished, she blinked, then shrugged.

“Funny, I would've never seen you as the adventuring type, Cael. Don't think I saw you leave Ga-Koro for ten years before hothead came along.”

She paused, savouring the look on Joske's face.

“Anyway, as a matter of fact, I think I might be able to help you.”

The Ga-Matoran stood, and walked over to a chest of drawers, one of which she pulled open. She rifled through its contents for a moment, then turned around, holding a smooth, perfectly carved stone.

The Charm of Purity.

“I won't bore you with how I got it,” Marka said, handing it to Cael without a thought. “You pull up some strange things in your nets, let me tell you. Kept it just cause I thought it looked nice, but never thought that someone might actually come looking for it.

“Anyway, it's yours now,” she finished, walking over to the door and pulling it open, letting the sounds of the docks wash in: business being conducted, waves splashing against the pier.

The Toa followed the Ga-Matoran outside into the bright sunlight. “Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got work to do,” she said, shaking the healer's hand with a smile. “It's good to see you back, Cael. Good luck with your quest.”

IC: Savina - Ga-koro, heading toward Nixie's home -

They were well on their way toward Nixie's, even if they were going a bit slowly, still Savina was just happy she had convinced Tehlin to come.

"So," Telhin said, glancing down at Savina as they walked through the village, a small grin on his Kanohi. "What's so important, miss?"

"Well, you know how Anthyn used to be just a regular Toa right? Until the whole ritual and soul stealing and all that scary stuff?" Savina began, Tehlin seemed to tense up at the mention of the soul stealing, Savina could understand that. "Well, we're gonna do something similar!" Savina looked happy about this, which probably worried Tehlin all the more, still she continued.

"Don't worry, it's not like you can lose your soul twice or anything!" Savina remarked, cause he seemed to be worried. "There's gonna be a new Valkyr soon, and it's gonna be me!"

Savina looked at Tehlin, she wanted to see his reaction to this, would he be happy, confused, horrified? Something else entirely? "We're going to Nixie's cause Anthyn doesn't know exactly how the ritual has to be done and well, I can't remember all the details myself."

Tehlin was dead silient, like eerily so, this worried Savina. "Are you alright? We aren't walking too fast are we?" She hoped telling Tehlin about this so soon hadn't been a bad idea.

Edited by Snelly

At that moment, time seemed to stop around me. If it wasn't for the fact that my arm was around Savina, I probably would have stopped walking. I would have stopped dead, trying to make sense of what Savina just told me. No, I understood it perfectly, I was denying it. The sinking feeling in my gut turned into a blade stark horror, cutting through my worry and the general feeling of unease that was blanketing my thoughts since I had entered the village of water. Oh Karz... She was going to... No.

I couldn't believe it, I didn't want to believe it. For everything that she had done, even though she had run off with Anthyn, continued the lie that the angellic being was a "protector" of Ga-Koro, and Mata Nui knows what else at this point, I wanted -needed- to believe that she was still a good person. The some part of the old Savina I knew was still in there. Some part that hadn't been warped by Anthyn, some part that I could possibly save. Anything. I knew enough to know that Savina would die, replaced by another as she transformed into one. Savina would cease to exist as a person. I didn't want that to happen to her. I didn't know if there was anything left of the Toa Anthyn transformed from still inside her. Perhaps she had been trapped inside Anthyn's consciousness or soul, along with the rest of ours.

Whatever the case, Savina did not deserve that. She was dead-set on the path already. And in this state, there wasn't anything I could do to stop her. Given her current... zealousness towards Anthyn, I doubted that I could persuade her not to.

"That's... amazing," I said, smiling broadly at Savina. I couldn't... "Are you excited?"

My initial horror was slowly replaced by anger, I hated the Valkyr with a renewed passion. For what she had done to me. What she had done to Savina. What she had done to Dujour, and everyone else that had their very souls drained. And now, I hated her for what Savina was going to do.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: Savina - Ga-koro, heading toward Nixie's home -

Savina was oblivious to Tehlin's horror, in her mind it was something to be happy and excited about, and she was. "Yep! I can't wait, I'm gonna have wings!" She beamed as she said this.

"I actually came up with the idea myself, I asked Anthyn after I left you with the doctor. She said that I'd well...cease to exist as I am now..." She said with slight unease, "But I'm okay with that! I just feel like I have to do this! I want this!" She said sincerely.

IC

[Ga-Koro dock; midday]

"Ummm... Toa Joske?"

I felt a tug on my leg as we stepped out of Marka's hut. Looking down I saw another matoran that I recognized: Kai, Marka's errand-girl, and maker of the finest rope in Mata-Nui. I actually had some of her work in my bag come to think of it. She glanced around nervously, as if in trouble.

"Something bothering you Kai?" Cael asked sweetly, bending down to her level. Kai instantly relaxed, though not all of the apprehension from her face was gone. I could not help but marvel at the Toa of Water and the effect she had on these villagers; it was truly something else.

"I, um, overhead what you and, um, Marka were, um, talking about and, um, well... "

Cael smiled reassuringly. "It's ok, we won't tell anyone you were eavesdropping."

The Toa winked, and whatever was left of Kai's inhibitions vanished. I remember a story about she and several others trying to start a rowing club with Marka at the center, but it didn't go very well... not to mention the Ga-Matoran could be a demanding boss. Which would explain Kai's nervousness. And curiosity to listen in on "important" conversations without the Chief Shipwright knowing. Without further encouragement she thrusted out her hand, a white object held within, apparently more than eager to help out a Toa she knew very well.

"I have one too! I kept it because I thought it made me faster and able to carry out Marka's orders faster, but it seems like you two need it more than I do."

Cael handed the charm to me, and I nodded with satisfaction: the Charm of Speed. That's three... in theory that's all we needed to open the temple. I turned to look down but Kai was already scooting away. "I-I need to go, I don't want to get in trouble for not- "

I bent down, catching her arm. Against her surprise I gave a disarming smile. "It's ok; thank you for your help. You've done more than you think." I paused for a second, collecting my thoughts. "Do you know where Nixie is? Kotu said she might be here." Kai shook her head.

"No, she's still in her hut. Can you let go of me now?"

With a chuckle I relented, and Kai ran to do whatever it was her boss instructed her to do last. Holding all three charms in my hand I turned to Cael.

"Three down, just a temple to go. Let's see if the astrologer is home, hmm?"

I knocked three times more, wanting to make sure she was really home. There had been no answer or movement within, and I was beginning to wonder if-

"Who is it?"

The voice was faint and cross, as if it didn't want to be disturbed. I had heard that Nixie kept herself busy, always working with the telescope that was nearby, and the few times she wasn't there she was here, decrypting what she saw in the heavens. Which made her a bit unsociable at times.

It would seem as though this would be one of those times.

"It's Joske... Toa Joske, and Cael. We need to speak with you!"

"Unless you're here to give me relevant information about the recent reorganization of the constellations I'm really not interested in talking."

I snorted, crossing my arms in frustration. Clearly she didn't want any visitors, but from what I had gathered she was the only one who might know where the temple was located. As I stood there thinking of possible other ways I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"It would appear that she is taking Nokama's death rather hard... and burying herself and her grief in her work. Do not blame her for wanting to be alone."

"Yeah, but we can't afford that right now." I said quietly, calmer now after her guidance. "Still, there MUST be a way to get her to speak with us."

"Unless you are a master scholar on the heavens, I highly doubt she will." As soon as Cael finished saying that to me however, her face showed immediate regret. "What do you have in mind?"

"Oh, just an idea." I chirped, stepping close to the door. I rested an audio receptor on in, speaking firmly but not shouting. "Nixie, I believe you."

Cael just looked at me, but I raised a finger. I turned back to the door after a pause. "Yes, you're not crazy nor insane. You think you found something out in the bay, and I have complete faith in you that you are right. I'll even help you prove you are right."

There was about a half second of silence, then the sound of rushing footsteps, followed by the sounds of locks being released. Slowly the door opened, and Nixie's face peeked out.

"You do?"

I peered forward in a non-threatening way. "Of course; why else would I seek you out? In fact, I think I have something else that might be of help."

Stretching out my hand I showed her the assorted lot of charms I had collected, including those from outside Ga-Koro. Her eyes grew wide for a second, and then ushered us inside with reserved excitement. As we stood there the little matoran dashed about, grabbing charts and maps and other navigating equipment before loudly clearing off a spot on a full table. Setting out her graphs she began to set up various measuring equipment, speaking to us as she did.

"The heavens are in turmoil, and I must chart their fluctuations. It had been my duty ever since this village was founded, given directly by Turaga Nokama, and I have done so without error. I have done this by developing Formulas derived from the movement of the stars, equations created from thousands of hours of study and experimentation. My Formulas have helped predict storms, movement and migration of sea creatures, best time to set sail and fish, even to locate and find hidden and secret objects. The stars tell all, one just must be quiet and still enough to listen. They see all, high above... and my work gleans from their knowledge. I am rarely wrong... rarely wrong... "

I gave a sideways glace to Cael, who shrugged. Ok, this one was a bit odd, but given the circumstances and her work it was to be expected. I watched as she measured and charted on a map using some strange contraption, constantly referring to a set of numerical values of a slab of stone. Finally she turned to us.

"The discovery of ancient relics and locations has been a recent breakthrough for me, though not many people take it seriously. I mean how can a star so high up in the sky tell you anything about things buried deep underground? They can though, if you know how to look. And I have looked hard enough through my astrological readings to derive a Formula to determine if there is anything under Naho Bay by calculating the movement of the currents. From this Formula I was able to obtain a set of coordinates that are most usual. Unless the Formula is wrong... something is out there, I tell you! Something is under the sea!"

She slapped her hand down on the table to emphasize her point. I was taken aback slightly, but quickly recovered. "Yes, you're right, there IS something out there... a temple. A large, hidden underwater temple that these Charms will unlock, probably built in antiquity... when the stars were watching."

She flew off the chair she had been standing on, dancing around the hut with unbridled joy. "I knew it! I KNEW IT! There WAS something under there! A sacred temple! No wonder Nokama stonewalled my research in that area... she must have known! And didn't want me to find out! But I did! I did! Oh, thank you, thank you, thank-"

She froze mid-celebration, taking in both our looks, her mind finally drawing the connections. "Wait... so you both also knew it existed?"

I nodded.

"But you didn't know where?"

Again I nodded. She pursed her lips.

"Aaaand... you wanted to see if I knew... and if I did, what the coordinates were?"

"Yes." I said, slightly exasperated, rubbing the bridge of my mask, "that would be nice, Nixie. Would you be willing to do that?"

"So if I give you the coordinates, you'll dive down there and find proof of it's existence?!" I couldn't tell if she was excited or skeptical, wondering why a Ta-Toa would want to go swimming out in deep water. It didn't matter though as she smiled broadly. "Of course! Let me write them down for you."

As she pulled out a fresh stone slab, I turned to Cael, rolling my eyes as I did. "Did I ever mention your people are almost as strange as Le-Matoran?"

Edited by Friar Tuck

Living large... like clown-shoe size large. Complete with nose, rainbow-colored hair, and a bottle of seltzer water.

tumblr_lrgowllgeP1qzda76o1_500.jpg

I faltered in my step as Savina mentioned the fact that she came up with the idea. Although, it was easily chalked up as the painkiller's side effects. "You do," I said. It wasn't a question. And I could barely keep the disappointment from showing up as I spoke, and I swear that it would start shaking soon. I was trapped within my own body, a prisioner to watch, unable to do anything against it. Why? Why?

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC (Cael)

Cael ignored the quip as she accepted the tablet from Nixie, instead thanking the astrologist for her help. The Ga-Matoran brushed the healer's comments aside. “If you can prove that this temple exists, that'll be all the thanks I need,” she said. “I know people think I'm crazy, but if I'm right -and I'm usually right- it'll all be worth it.”

The two Toa left her hut; Nixie shut and locked the door behind them, returning to the peace of her studies.

The Toa of Water turned to her companion. “Okay,” she said, finally breaking into a smile. “Maybe you're right. But without her-” she held up the coordinates. “-we wouldn't have these. Besides, we're not half as crazy as you. I seem to recall something about a Tarakava?”

The two of them laughed, and continued on their way, moving quickly as they made their way back through the village to Nokama's Pier. To reach the temple, they would need a boat.

Marka proved more than accommodating. She lent the two of them one of her freshly cleaned watercraft, shining in the sun, and with only two vaguely insulting comments directed at Joske. Cael, having spent her life in Ga-Koro, could almost sail better than she could run, but the Ga-Matoran helped her prepare the boat anyway, and the vessel was ready for departure in less than fifteen minutes.

The two Toa climbed into the ship, and, after promising the Chief Shipwright to bring her boat back in pristine condition, Cael started up the motor. The propeller roared to life, and, under the Toa of Water's careful guidance, began to pull away from the dock, into the open waters of Naho Bay.

The prow of the boat sliced keenly through the waves, throwing up clouds of salty spray. The sky was a clear, cloudless blue, and the sunlight glinted off the water like a thousand mirrors. Cael stood at the helm, Joske standing besides her, but, though she tried to relax, the usually calming experience of a journey by boat didn't settle her nerves. Not this time.

She knew the village of water better than any of the Toa of Fire, even Agni; without her, who knew how long it would have taken them to find the charms and the coordinates? But her help had only pushed them on faster, lessened the time that separated Joske from his ultimate foe.

He can win, she thought. He has to. Mata Nui wouldn't raise a hero just to see him fail...

Abruptly, Gali's visage appeared in her mind, a familiar expression of kindness and wisdom on the Toa of Water's face. Cael had thought, like all the other Matoran had, that their saviours had finally come. Gali, benevolent and gentle; Tahu, brave and bold; Onua, strong and wise... they and the others had been prophesied to fall from the skies and defeat the Makuta.

But they had failed.

Destiny hadn't protected them. They had fallen to the darkness anyway. The Great Spirit had set them up to fail.

Cael's eyes wandered to the Toa of Fire standing next to her, arms crossed, chin raised as though in defiance of the challenge that lay ahead of them. Another temple? Hah! He'd conquered five of them. They were almost done.

But... the ending wasn't going to be what he expected, was it? Every hurdle cleared only brought them closer to the opponent that couldn't be beaten. Every challenge completed only brought the end of the story closer.

It had been a wonderful story, to be sure, but Cael's heart ached more than ever now because she knew that it couldn't last forever. That kiss she had shared with Joske the night before, the butterflies that filled her stomach whenever he looked her in the eye, the jokes they laughed over, they were all going to be memories. Mata Nui had sent them, had sent her, a hero, the one they'd been waiting for, but what guarantee did she have that his fate wouldn't be the same as the others he had sent?

Yes, she still hoped, but it was a faint hope, tinged with fear and longing and a vague hopelessness because the Toa of Water found her belief in destiny dwindling with every passing moment. As the boat cut through the water, her hands -against her will- guiding them towards their goal, she felt her heart sink.

She was afraid, and there was nothing she could do.

Edited by Viserys Targaryen

IC: Savina - Outside Nixie's residence, Ga-koro -

Savina could sense something was wrong, Tehlin tried his best to hide it, but she could see he wasn't quite happy. This unsettled Savina for a moment, she thought Tehlin would have been happy for her.

Well, maybe it was just the pain meds effecting his mind. Yeah that must be it. She reasoned. Tehlin wasn't in his right mind so therefore she didn't have to take this reaction to heart.

They hadn't stopped moving even at their slow pace, the occasional falter in Tehlin's step slowed them down as well, but eventually they could make out the sign for Nixie's Home which hung just above the somewhat large hut, it had to be a bit bigger than normal for the massive telescope that was on the second story. Savina wondered at how they'd ever even created such a strange device.

Anthyn didn't seem to be here yet, but that was okay, Savina knew she would come soon enough, finding that mute Embok was probably not the easiest task, even for her angel.

Savina and Tehlin stopped just at the door, Savina took a free hand and knocked on the door three times.

"Who is it?"

A good, she was home, "It's Savina! You remember me right?" She called through the door.

Dead silence, well Savina wasn't sure but that probably wasn't the reaction she wanted. So Savina just opened the door and let herself in with Tehlin still leaning on her. "Hello? You didn't drop dead or something right? Cause that would be bad...."

Edited by Snelly

OOC: Yikes, it's been almost 10 months since I last posted here! Gravity, good to see that Tehlin's still around. If you don't mind, I'm going to need to be brought up to speed, for Vacir's sake and mine! When I left him last year, we were near a cave. Here goes... :P

IC - :v: :a: :c: :i: :r: - With a start, Vacir sat up. He quickly examined his surroundings, noting the musky interior of what could only be a cave or dungeon. Vacir thought back, furiously attempting to remember. I was searching for a friend. A Toa of plantlife by the name of Tehlin. Beyond that, he could remember very little. Still unable to deduce his Kanohi mask power, he rose, and began to head towards the exit of the cave. Emerging into the sunlight, Vacir turned back and examined the cave. It was then that a surge of memories came rushing back. Vacir remembered his search for Turaga Nokama and her kidnapping. He remembered searching the beach, encountering an imbasil of a Ba-Toa. He remembered settling in a clearing outside of a cave, the very clearing he stood in now. He had no idea how much time had passed, but the group that he had been a part of was nowhere to be found. Beginning to head back in the direction of Ga-Koro, Vacir resolved to get some answers. And maybe reunite with Tehlin and company as well.

IC

[Naho Bay; early afternoon]

Cael masterfully guided the boat to the coordinates; I had never thought of her much as a sailor, but I supposed that came with being resident of Ga-Koro. To her it may be a simple task, but I found the experience exhilarating. The constant rush of wind; the splash of the salty sea on my mask; the calls of ocean gulls; the strange and wonderful large sea creatures swimming under our craft... it was something so completely different than what I was used to.

It was amazing.

I could feel the craft slow; we must be nearing our destination. Bending down I began checking our supplies. Let's see... Rope? Check. Air bladders? Check. Diving buoy? Diving weights? Check, check check...

The engine cut suddenly, and the boat suddenly became much quieter as we began to drift. I looked up at Cael.

"Everything's in order. Sure we're at the right coordinates?"

She glanced down at the stone tablet in the seat next to her, nodding. "Yes, this is the place." With a sharp intake of breath and a heave she shoved the anchor overboard, and together we watched it sink beneath the waves. After a while the chain stopped, and after a tug to confirm it was solid I began to don on the equipment. The bandolier of air bladders, a belt that had the diving weights, tying up the rope to my belt so that I had a connection to the boat... I paused. Something was wrong. It was quiet.

Too quiet.

I cast my glance at Cael. She sat near the engine, hands folded in her lap, staring at the floor of the boat. Just... staring. As if lost. I stepped forward and bent down, cupping my hand under her chin. "Hey, love, you alright?"

She snapped out of it, giving me a startled look. She blinked a few times, and then smiled. "Yes, of course."

That was a forced smile if I ever saw one. That was a lie, and my tone showed it. "Cael... something's wrong. Don't lie to me like that."

She searched my eyes, as if looking for something... and then didn't find it. There was a abstract sense of fear in them, almost like helplessness. It was the same feeling I had got earlier that day when she cried on me, only this time it was stronger. Strong enough to affect her spirit. She sighed.

"It's just that... you've never been diving before."

I chuckled. "Yeah, well, there's a first time for everything. I need to be the one to get inside; I don't think the trick we used in Onu-Koro will work here. Besides, you'll be up top here watching over me; if something goes wrong just tug on the rope and I'll come straight up. It'll be fine; it's not like I'm fighting a horde of Makuta's servants. Oh, wait, already did that."

We shared a laugh, though hers was shallow. I bought that explanation, but there was still something missing, something she wasn't telling me. I guess I'll just have to wait until after the dive - I wanted to make sure I had enough daylight to get in and eventually out. I climbed over the edge, easing my lower body into the cold water. I involuntarily shivered, Cael reacting immediately, placing a hand of my shoulder.

"Relax; just colder than I expected." I flashed her my patented grin, that boyish, roguish look that made so many women swoon back in the day. Back when I was a womanizer, back when I was an egotistic prick that could only think of myself, unable to have any real feelings other than the shallow and callous being that I was. I was a changed man now, and not because of the Crystals... yes, they helped tremendously, but it was because of the woman before me. This Toa of Water that had stuck with me despite my faults and failures, willing to stay with me and help me through my most difficult times, loving me despite of me. She was the most beautiful Toa on the island... on the inside.

And that's the part that really mattered.

"A kiss for luck?"

No sooner had those words come out of my mouth did she pounce, landing one on me that took my breath away, both her hands wrapped around the side of my head. It was deep, passionate, romantic... if not a little desperate and angst. It was as though she was kissing me for the last time and wanted to remember it, burn it into her memory banks. When we finally separated I was grinning broadly.

"Easy love, I'll be back in a little while. Just sit tight, ok? It'll all turn out fine. Just you wait and see." I tapped her under the chin.

"I love you."

The last thing I saw of her as I took a deep breath and dove under was her smiling yet concerned face looking down on me.

Edited by Friar Tuck

Living large... like clown-shoe size large. Complete with nose, rainbow-colored hair, and a bottle of seltzer water.

IC:

"No, she's not here."

"Do you know where she went, then?" Agni asked the marine sergeant. She shook her head. Agni knew her, they had worked together before on a previous case (One he did not remember fondly.) and he knew she was trustworthy.

"As far as we know, Hahli was last seen on the day of the honored Turaga's assassionation...she disappeared in the aftermath of that and has not been seen since."

"Well, do you know who might be able to help us now?" Agni asked, but all his friend could do was shrug. "I am sorry. That's really all we know. You could try to ask Kotu, or the Toa Arete."

"Who are they?" Angelus asked. Agni nodded at the marine, he wanted to know the answer to that just as well.

"A team of Toa that has been helping us keep things quiet here. They really made the village shape up, really cracked down on anybody causing trouble. Not sure where they're from, but they're doing a good job, so they're alright in my book. They actually were the honor-guard for Nokama when she returned...stopped many of the villagers from blindly running after Nokama's killer."

A hundred questions simultaneously popped up in Agni's mind. He wanted to know more about what had happened, wanted to know more about the Arete, the assassination of Nokama, everything that had happened since they had left the village. But he forced himself to focus. Cael and Joske were either searching themselves or waiting for him and Angelus to rejoin them, which meant they were short on time. He pushed the questions back in his head, focusing on what he absolutely needed to know.

"The Arete...how long have they been here?" he asked.

"A few weeks. I can't exactly say when they entered the big picture for us, we have so many powered beings to take care of. Don't know where they can be found right now either. But they shouldn't be hard to miss. One of them has wings, so...you'll know when you see here."

"Okay...and Kotu?" Agni asked.

"In her usual place." the marine replied. Agni nodded his thanks; and together with Angelus they left the marine headquarter again. Agni's brow was furrowed and he looked grimly at the surface of the floating pad under his feet. Angelus looked at him, one eyebrow raised. Agni glanced up at him, seeing the obvious question in the Toa's eyes. "I don't like this, Angelus." he said. "I feel like something is very wrong here. And I don't just mean the Turaga's deaths...it's like the village has changed since I was last here. The mood is off. Come on, we need to get back to Joske and Cael and tell them what we know."

The two Toa made their way back to Nokama's hut, but found that Joske and Cael were gone, which wasn't surprising. There was nothing much there, aside from a locked door. Without her, Nokama's hut alone wouldn't give them any new information. At least, not without access to it, which was restricted right now. They tried Cael's hut next, which was certainly a good place to look for their companions, since it was the Ga-Toa's home and she would surely stop by there, but once again, the two Toa found no sign of their friends, which only left the task of trying to find the charms and the location of the temple of purity.

"So, who are we going to talk to?" Angelus asked.

"Kotu." Agni said, instantly. "I don't know about you, but I somehow doubt that a bunch of outsiders that have only been here for a few weeks will be able to help us. I've been in Ga-Koro since before Joske became a Toa and didn't hear anything about them. How would they know more about Hahli than her left hand?"

Angelus nodded and together they made their way through the village, in the direction of the docks. The place where Kotu could be found lay along the way, which Agni knew pretty well. He led Angelus to the hut in question, but stopped as soon as his eyes saw a sign on the door. Away on business. Will be back later. -K

The Toa's shoulder slumped forward and he grumbled slightly in frustration. He closed his eyes and rubbed his temples, thinking hard. After a few seconds, he looked up again. "The docks. Kotu used to take care of a lot of Rahi back before all this trouble started. I don't know if she's still doing it, but the Rahi-pens are there, since it's mostly aquatic animals. It's not much, but it's the only thing I can think of right now bar running around the village and knocking on every door like a news-scroll salesman."

Agni started walking towards the east-side of the village with determination, or rather, frustration. Ga-koro was supposed to be a quick last stop, but suddenly everything had gotten a thousand times more complicated and the two Toa of fire were practically on their own and with nobody to ask. If they had had more time, he would have asked around, if anybody had seen Hahli or Kotu, but as it was, this was the best he could do. A few minutes later they arrived at the few huts, that looked much like most of the others, except for the fact that they were mostly empty on the inside, or were just roofing for polls cut into the pads underneath, to allow the treatment of various Rahi of the Wahi. A few Matoran were nearby, talking among themselves. The two Toa approached them, Agni asking for Kotu, but the Matoran just shook their heads, claiming they had been there for the last hour and Kotu had not come by in that time. Agni nodded slowly, thanked them for their help and he and Angelus turned back around, walking a short distance, onto a nearby small pier, before Agni smacked his fists together, staring down into the water.

The only thing they could do now was to take the slow option of asking around the village of water until they found the information they were seeking. Which would take time. And then there was the fact that none of the officials were there to talk to, which meant they had to try anybody who might know anything about what they were looking for. Nixie, perhaps. It was the first name coming to Agni's mind, one of the few Ga-Matoran outside of the marines that he knew by name. He was about to tell Angelus, when he caught something out of the corner of his eyes. He turned and looked out to the bay, where a boat was cutting through the rolling waves. Two figures stood at the bow of the ship. Their proportions didn't match Matoran. He squinted his eyes, then let out a long sigh. He knew the figures all too well.

"Forget it Angelus. It seems were sitting this one out...look." he said to the other Toa of fire, pointing at the boat in the distance.

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC

[Naho Bay... underwater; early afternoon]

Any form of correlation between swimming and diving out in deep water sank to the ocean floor in the same manner as I did.

Like a rock.

I cut through the water, a trail of bubbles detailing my decent into the bay as my weights tugged me into the deep. It was so unexpected, so sudden... I was caught unprepared as I was swept away, my downward trajectory suddenly altered as I hit an underwater current and I felt myself get swept off in a random direction. It was dark down here, murky, cold, and I could feel the pressure of the water press on me with uncharacteristic force. I was out of my elements - in more ways than one - and I found myself opening my mouth. I forced my mouth closed, only swallowing a little bit of water, but the mental damage was already done. I began to panic, just as I felt my feet hit sandy bottom.

It took everything I had not to start breathing heavily.

As I stopped moving, I could feel the heavy silence like I did the pressure, nothing was faint, swirling water filling my audio receptors. It was dark, but not dark enough to see, as if everything was covered in a heavy, waving blanket, a thick blue hue cast on the shadowy rocks and strange plantlike. I probably would have marveled at the alien world I found myself in, including the exquisite and colorful fish that swam around my head, but I was too busy blacking out from the lack of oxygen. I reached for my bandolier, fumbling with the twine in the water that held it to my chest, vaguely realizing that the water resisted and hampered my movements, almost as if I was moving in slow-motion. Stars exploded in my vision and unable to hold back any longer I opened my mouth, knowing that it would be my last-

And I greedily gulped in the stored air.

I watched the bladder slowly rise to the surface, blinking away the dizziness, coming to grips on just how close I came to drowning. Taking a second air bladder I burned a second breath, just to make up for the lack of air I had been experiencing. Perhaps not the best of strategies, but I did have a secret weapon: my Kanohi Kakama. Granted, I might not be as fast as I would be on the surface, but with it I could cover the entire bay in a very short time without fear of getting stuck or slipping. I might be down to only three bladders left, but with that second breath I was almost fully recovered and able to think properly. Which made all the difference than compared to trying to think with an oxygen-starved brain.

Taking stock of my surroundings I consulted my hand-drawn map, activating my mask. I dunno if fishes could think, but I'm sure they thought it odd as a red streak began to run about the bay floor.

I know I would.

I finally found it.

Eventually.

I had accidentally passed it twice, the seaweed-covered rock so well camouflaged and identical to the rest of the ocean floor that I didn't recognize it the first two times, forcing me to burn a third air bladder in my search. Still, here I was, hovering in the current before a massive granite door, a series of riddles between me and my goal. Just place the charms in the correct keyholes...

I grimaced, fighting off a headache. My head hurt, due to the constant lack of oxygen. I was so unused to this.

Reaching down I grabbed my fourth air bladder, taking the time to slowly suck in every iota of air held within. Yes, I may only have one left, but I was sure there was an air pocket inside, and all I needed was one breath to get back to the surface. Besides, I needed the air power to think. Releasing my hold on the bladder I let it rise to the surface, the pain retreating momentarily.

Alright, what do we have here...

All Are One... Or None

Easy: Unity. In order to be united all must be of one mind, else there is none. Cael aptly gave Agni and myself that lesson back in Le-Koro, so that charm went into the slot. The following two however posed a little more challenge:

From Unity Derived and From Clear Waters Granted.

Well, I only had two choices: Purity and Speed. I didn't see how Speed derived from Unity, but I could see how Purity was - only from a united front could the purity of the cause be brought forth; a divided house was often a corrupted one. That made sense, but how did speed come from clear waters? Perhaps the answer was more literal than philosophical. Clear, pure water moved faster than sludge water. The less the water contained, the faster it went... maybe it was that simple. Worth a shot.

Click. Click... Click!

Not a moment too soon.

As soon as the last charm fell into place, I felt that headache claw back, my lungs suddenly aching as my air quickly vanished. I might of had enough time to reach for the fifth bladder had the door not opened, a yawning, black chasm before me, a whirlpool forming at the entrance as water rushed into the opening.

I opened my mouth to yell as I got sucked in, down into the blackness that seemed to swallow me whole as I spun like a leaf in a drain, nothing but a trail of tiny bubbles signifying that I had been pulled into nothingness...

I coughed violently, a mixture of water and blood oozing from my mouth. I could hear it slap on wet stone, the sound echoing as if I was in a small, enclosed chamber. I continued to hack for some time, forcing the water from my lungs and I slowly came to. Indeed, I was in a small, enclosed chamber, completely surrounded by damp, dark stone, the only light coming from a pool in the distance. The air in here was stale, but there was plenty of it, so I eagerly sucked it all in, making up for the time I hadn't been breathing. Finally calmed down I finally took stock of my surroundings.

The pool before me was still and quiet, a blue, ambient light emitting from deep withing, casting an eery glow and odd shadows on the rest of the chamber. In the center of the pool stood a small platform in which I knew the dais would appear once I proved myself, but that wasn't the oddest sight. Above the pool against the wall were four matoran-head fountains, positioned in a semi-circle around it. They weren't activated, but it was clear out of the mouths would come some sort of liquid. There was a gap in the wall to my right, to which I spotted a contraption with faucet wheels located in what appeared to be a control room to the right of the main area I was in. Clearly these were the controls to operate the fountains. I staggered to my feet, reaching for the controls-

"I wouldn't touch that until you are ready."

I twirled around, launcher in hand, disk loaded, ready and willing to release a fiery disk of hurt at whoever it was that was down here with me. That is, until I saw who it was.

On the center platform stood what at best I could describe an apparition; a ghostly image that I could partially see though, hovering there without any viable means of support. I could sense no heat come off her, everything pointed to something more supernatural than physical.

Yes; her.

It was the image of a Ga-Toa, the very image of pristine beauty and grace, but not one that I recognized. My first instinct was Toa Gali, but after closer inspection I realized it was not the case. I went through the list of Ga-Toa and even Ga-Matoran I had ever known or heard of, and none fit the bill. I stood there, ready for anything, but I felt an overwhelming sense of calm, all the way down to my soul... as if deep down I knew she wasn't here to harm me.

"Peace, hunter; I bid you no harm. I welcome you to the Temple of Purity. You are safe here."

I found myself lowering my launcher, relaxing as I did. She was sincere, I could feel it. But it didn't squelch my curiosity. "Who... who are you?" I asked quizzically, taking a step towards her.

"I am the Guardian of the Temple." she replied gracefully, giving me a regal bow. "I am here to test those that seek the Crystal of Purity. You seek the stone, correct?"

"Yeah... " I said, barely able to get the answer out due to my surprise. "Is that to mean that I am not the first person to come to this temple?"

"You are the first to come with the other five." she replied, giving me an answer while at the same time dodging my question. She smiled at me, and I found all my inhibitions falling away. It was strange, but comforting nonetheless after the harrowing adventure to get here."My Duty is to ask a question of anyone who enters, to determine if it is their Destiny to retrieve it. Are you ready?"

"Wait, a question? A riddle?" I paused for a second, my mind racing. "So if I answer wrong, I don't get they Crystal?"

She laughed, her pure voice ringing throughout the chamber."Please forgive me Toa, I misspoke: it is a test, but not one you can necessarily fail. It is merely a way to measure one's soul."

I stared at her confused, and she nodded at me in understanding."It is a question that has no right or wrong answers, only what you believe is right. Your answer will show your true colors, what truly are on the inside. This question will make you face yourself, a mirror, a way to gauge your own ideals against a backdrop of a choice, a decision. Once you are comfortable with your choice you choose the faucet wheel and allow that type of water to flow into the pool, taking your prize. The catch here though is that you will see what kind of hero that you are, and will be forced to live with that decision with the rest of your life. It may be fictional, but you will know what you would do in that situation... who you really are, on the inside. Are you ready to take the test?"

I stood there for a moment, mulling over what she said. So this was a test of purity... against myself. A question that had no right or wrong answer, only a choice that showed who I really was on the inside. I guess I was about to find out how much I changed. I raised my head, looking at her with a confident gaze.

"Yes."

Edited by Friar Tuck

IC (Cael)

Cael watched as the Toa of Fire slipped beneath the waves, the taste of his mouth lingering on hers. She watched him sink until she couldn't see him anymore. He was gone.

The fear leapt up then, tearing at her chest like a Muaka, choking her. She sat down, struggling to breathe; it was almost as if she'd lost Joske already. The waves had swallowed him; why hadn't she gone down instead? But it was pointless; it didn't matter, because either way he would rise from the ocean to enter the final temple, the Kini-Nui, and face Heuani once and for all.

Would he win? If anyone could, it would be him. He had the drive to win, the determination that had seen him through more than just Kolhii. But this wasn't a game. This was a life-and-death struggle for Mata Nui itself, a war to knock the Makuta from his throne, and Joske's task was to defeat his lieutenant: Heuani, the most powerful Toa on the island.

The rumours the healer had heard whirled around in her head, reminding her of the task before them.

He has the strength of ten Toa.

He moves faster than the eye can see, and can kill with a glance.

His voice makes you want to lay down your sword and beg him to look at you, even if it's just to kill you.

He was a legend, and Mata Nui had sent Joske, his champion, to strike him down.

Cael wanted to scream to the skies, wanted to empty her lungs against the westward falling sun and the Spirit it represented. Why would he send her a hero only to have him ripped away? It was so unfair, that she would learn to trust, and even to love, and then have to give him up to destiny.

The healer knew life wasn't fair; she didn't expect it to be. Hers was a world of facts, and the fact was that the universe didn't order itself around your happiness. But learning to care for someone else, learning what it felt like to have friends, had shown her an existence bigger than the scientific one she'd known. Maybe one that was, in a way, a little more selfish, but a beautiful one nonetheless.

And the one who had shown it to her was the one she wanted to enjoy it with. It had taken so long for her to see it, really see it, but she loved Joske. She loved the hero he had become, his selflessness, the way he had learned to care for others. His courage, his strength, and his steadfast determination. But she knew that she didn't own him; his first priority had to be his quest, and the destiny Mata Nui had entrusted to him.

And it was a quest that was going to kill him.

The world blurred as the Toa's eyes filled with her own element. She felt so ridiculous, so helpless, crying over something she couldn't avert or change. Nokama's death had already hurt her; the thought of losing Joske too pained her like a wound she couldn't heal.

She was afraid of losing Joske and finding herself alone again. She was so afraid, but there was nothing she could do. Nothing that would do anything but delay the inevitable confrontation that would leave one of the two Toa dead, beyond even her grasp.

Nothing.

She sat up straight then, almost forgetting to breathe, hope beginning to stir briefly again in her heart. It was true that there was nothing she could do to help Joske. She couldn't stop him, and she couldn't prepare him any more than he already was.

But the Toa of Fire wasn't the only variable in the equation.

The other was the Toa of Shadow.

The Toa of Water turned and looked back over the island. All she wanted was for Joske to live. That wasn't too much to ask, was it? Could Mata Nui refuse her even that much?

Heuani was cruel, without mercy or pity. Joske's recounting of his encounter with the dangerous Toa in Ko-Wahi had proved that. The Toa of Shadow didn't show grace. He played with his prey, and then he killed it. He couldn't be beaten, couldn't be bartered with.

But the only other option was to wait, helpless, while Joske went to die.

She couldn't do that.

Standing to her feet, the healer took a deep breath, then dove off the side of the boat with a splash. She surfaced, took a breath, then began swimming towards the island, slipping through the water swiftly and gracefully, almost more fish than Toa.

Then, calling upon her elemental powers, Cael summoned a current to carry her to shore.

The Toa of Water emerged from the surf, water dripping off her body, to see the beaches of Ga-Wahi, and the jungle that lay beyond, illuminated by the dying sun. She looked back over her shoulder on Naho Bay, and could barely make out the boat that floated in the shimmering ocean.

She turned back to the sand and the trees, her heart beating like a drum. Joske had his quest, and she had hers.

She would save him.

OOC Cael to Kini-Nui.

Soon enough, we reached the leaf-hut. It was much larger than most of the other huts within the village of water, the massive telescope adding a great deal of height to the structure. Savina already went ahead and knocked on the door, the the pit within my stomach sank deeper. Because I still had my arm around her, and she was still supporting me, I didn't have much of a choice about following her. There was short reply from inside the hut, and dead silence after Savina introduced herself. I really couldn't blame Nixie at this point, but still.

She should have thought of that before we got our souls sucked out.

We didn't stad outside waiting, and Savina already pushed open the door, pulling me into the hug after her as she walked in. My pulse thundered in my head, and the air seemed to grow cold. This was not good.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC

[Temple of Purity; ???]

The spirit gazed at me with approval, nodding her head in my direction.

"Very well then."

She waved her hand, and I found myself in a different place... a different time. I was a matoran again, small and hardy, riding an Ussal through a tunnel, one with a light at the end of it. As the bright sunlight assaulted my eyes I raised an arm to block it, buying time for me to adjust. It was here that I noticed a slight discrepancy... I actually didn't do it. More like, I didn't feel like I was in control of the body I was in, as if I was merely watching through this set of eyes. The mysterious Ga-Toa's voice cut through my thoughts, bringing me back to the present. As she presented her question, her case, her story, it was acted out before me, as if I was a active observer instead of a passive participant.

"You are riding an Ussal on your way from Onu-Koro to Po-Koro in hopes to reach the Village of Stone before nightfall. As you exit the tunnel system, you note that your surroundings are quite hot and bright; you are near the Motara Desert, and once you enter into those sands there is not a good resting spot until Po-Koro. Therefore the builders of this highway wisely placed a rest stop, a small shelter, near the entrance of the cave, to help facilitate those traveling between the two cities. It is a place where caravans would stop and re-supply on water, or individuals would hang about, hoping to catch a ride with someone like yourself so that they would have to brave the trek on foot. As you approach this stop you indeed notice someone. As you ride closer, you realize it's not one, but three people here, waiting. Waiting for you. As you pull you finally get a good look at those standing there. Before you this is what you see:

"To the left is your best friend. You haven't seen him in years, and haven't had a decent conversation for even longer. From the looks of it he has been in the desert for some time, wandering, in need of a friend. The reasons of your separation are lost in memory, but the fact of your fast unbreakable friendship is certain... unless you were to do something now to harm it. In the center is an elderly Turaga, but this Turaga is not well; in fact, the old one is dying. He still has some time left, but unless he gets medical help soon he will not make it. Po-Koro is the closest village, and unless he gets on your Ussal he will not make it. Finally to the right you see the love of your life. You've never met, but after meeting her gaze the both of you are certain that you were meant to be; you both are perfect for each other. She is merely passing through, but if you do not take her now, you will never meet her again. Should you leave her here and one day take another you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will never be as happy as if you took her now.

"These are the three individuals you see standing before you, and as you look at your Ussal you realize that you only have room for one to ride with you. So, Noble Toa, you are left with a choice, and that choice is my question to you."

The light, the world, the story faded, and I found myself breathing heavily, standing in that dank, dark room once again, the ghostly Ga-Toa hovering before me. Her face was somber as she finished, her voice low and serious.

"Which one do you take with you on the rest of your journey? The best friend, the dying Turaga, or the love of your life? May your heart decide."

It was as if an astronomically large weight was placed on my chest, a slowly I fell back against the wall, slightly aghast. There was no wrong answer here, that much I could see, but I had to make a choice. And impossible choice.

No, a choice that reflected who I was. I sank to the floor, breathing deep.

I needed some time to think.

Edited by Friar Tuck

IC:

Quietly, Agni watched as the sun approached the mountains rising in the distance to the west, casting a firey reflection on the water that stretch beyond Naho-Bay and into the endless ocean, where the edge of night was coming up as the water retreated from the beach for the evening tide. Now that he and Angelus knew where their companions were, he felt relaxed again, a huge load of worries gone from his mind, knowing that they would have the last crystal soon. Though the fact that Joske and Cael had gone off on their own meant he and Angelus were forced to play the waiting game now. Agni looked away from the boat in the distance and down on the pier in front of him, where their shadows stretched out. He turned around and looked at Angelus.

"Maybe when this quest is over I'll finally teach the kid to take along his whole team for the all-importants quests." he joked, then shrugged. "I don't know about you, Angelus, but I could eat something."

It was true. They had not eaten anything since breakfast and now it was almost evening. And now that they were not focused on finding Hahli or the charms or trying to figure out what was wrong with in Ga-Koro at the moment, agni felt his body asking for something to replenish its energies. And he knew just the place where to do that. There was a fisher nearby that he knew from the time training Joske in the past months. And he earned money on the side by making the most excellent grilled fish in the Koro, as far as Agni was concerned. Together, they left the pier, after a final look to see Cael still standing abord the ship in the distance; and made their way to the hut that was just half a minute of walking away. When they arrived at the place, the fisherman was pulling a large bucket with seabasses swimming around in it through the door of his home, where he had a sealed-off pool in the floor of his hut to keep the fishes in. Many Ga-Matoran did something similar when they were using their fishing rods to catch whatever swam around under the floating village, so that the fish would always be fresh.

"Toa Agni, I see you brought a friend." he greeted the two of them. "I was just about to drop the bass, what can I do for you?"

Agni nodded at Angelus. "I was telling Toa Angelus here how delicious your grilled Salmon was and we're both hungry."

"Ahh, I see," the Matoran replied, "Well, in that case, just you wait a moment and I'll cook up something good."

Twenty minutes later, the two Toa had their food, payed the fisher and started eating, though after a few minutes Angelus suggested they return to the pier, since they could both eat and have an eye on the bay at the same time from there. Agni agreed and while they finished up their small meal, they went back to their vantage-point on the pier. It had gotten much darker since the sun had disappeared behind Mt. Ihu and it took Agni a few moments to find the boat in the distance again. It drifted atop the waves, calm and empty. Wait, empty?

Agni's eyes widened and he looked at Angelus. "Where's Cael?" he asked. Angelus looked as well, but neother of them could see the Toa of water on the boat. In fact the boat looked deserted, with no lighstones lit, despite the fading light. The Toa's mind kicked into high gear as he mentally ran through the possible scenarios.

"Either Joske needed help or ran into trouble and she's gone in after him or something worse has happened." he concluded loudly, then started to look around. There were two smaller boat tied to the pier, a pair of canoe's, but in any case, they wouldn't reach the boat fast enough in one of those. Agni hated to do it, but there was no other way. "Angelus, you take one of these canoe's, I'll jump out there and see what is going on."

Without waiting for a reply, he turned back around, focused his eyes on the boat in the distance, then activated his Kualsi. The world shifted around him in a heartbeat and suddenly he felt himself drop about a foot, hitting the planks of the boat. There was nobody aboard. A few air-bladders and a few supplies were on the deck, but none of either Cael's or Joske's belongings. Agni hurried to the side of the boat and looked into the water, but without the sun hitting it high, there was only blackness after the first foot or so, no sign of either of his friends. And on a boat, there was no trail of where they might have gone to, either. He looked back to the village, seeing Angelus following in the canoe. While he waited for the other Toa to catch up, he tried to find a sign of what had happened. There was no damage to the boat, so they had not been attacked there...and if Cael had remained on the surface while Joske looked for the temple, she wouldn't just have gone and left. No, to Agni this meant Joske had run into trouble, Cael had gone into the bay after him and neither of them had resurfaced yet.

By the time he was through with his thoughts, Angelus had reached the boat as well. Agni helped him tie it to the larger vessel, then they both stood at the side of the boat where the chain of the anchor went down into the water. Agni shared his thoughts with Angelus.

"We were gone twenty minutes." Agni said. "If anything happened, they had enough air-bladders to last that time...but who knows. If they don't get out within the next five minutes, I'm going down there."

IC

[Temple of Purity; ???]

I didn't know how long I sat there.

Minutes? Hours? Half a day?

More?

Time stood still in that dank chamber, only the occasional dripping of water marking it's passage. I sat there alone, nothing but the silence and my own thoughts. My own inhibitions, hope, dreams... all wrapped up in this little thought exercise. The choice of a lifetime... I spent my time weighing the options, sifting through my emotions, grappling with my own worldview. Who would I choose? What kind of hero would I be?

That was the question, wasn't it?

"The friend represents people, doesn't it?" I began, thinking out loud. "The people around me, friends I've made, those I'm sworn to protect, organizations I am a part of... loyalty. Loyalty to a person, to a group, to an ideal. Loyalty as a unit, to those I've made connections with, those while working together we are strong, one mind and unit... Unity. My best friend could also be described as Unity, the bond I share with others. By choosing this Virtue I am proclaiming myself a champion of the people, warrior of the many, willing to sacrifice the few for the sake of the many... even if that meant giving up my morals and my future to be the protector those less able to do so, going to any lengths to protect what I thought and felt was right.

"In the same sense then, the Turaga represents Morality, the hero that stands always upright no matter the situation. This is the type of choice that allows said person to travel the road less traveled, take the moral high ground, able to defeat darkness and evil with his mere presence, a true paladin, a warrior that is never compromised, able to take the beating and give one out a hundred fold to those that dwell and lurk in the shadowy places of the world. This man can bend down to the lowest of levels, able to reach into the very depths of Karvahni itself and pull wretched souls out of the brink, a source of hope and encouragement to anyone who even gazes upon him. This type of hero represents Duty, the Duty of a warrior to champion the light, to be that shining star in the heavens. He can only do this though at great personal cost, having given up any chance of a normal life, even to the point of alienating his friends in his pursuit of overcoming evil. To him there is never any grey, only black and white, and thus there will be few that truly follow him, only those that are inspired and dependent on him. He must sacrifice all to make and keep himself pure.

"Which leaves us the lover... the future. She represents all that a person hopes for, dreams for, all the excitement and adventure promised to those working as a hero. She is Destiny incarnate, what is to be yours at the end of the road. This is the path taken by dreamers and wanderers alike, searching for their personal promised land, or those with iron determination to take what is rightfully theirs. As much as this may be the most hopeful of paths, it is my nature the most selfish of them as well. The person who takes this, searching for his destiny as his only purpose in life will in the end give up what makes the present so special, never able to make or keep many friends, and will willingly throw away his morals for the sake of his own desires, nothing more important than him and his happiness. It is after all his Destiny. To Take what is rightfully mine and worry about the rest later. This is choice with the most promise... but the most temptation."

I sat there as I finished speaking, the specter silently hovering, impassioned to my words. I looked up to meet her gaze.

"There is no right answer. There is no wrong answer. Just what YOU believe is the right path to take. Each one has a benefit, each has a downfall, but all are equally viable for a hero... or a villain. Unity, Duty, Destiny, this is who we are, molded by the choices we make... and I don't like any of them."

My eyes blazed with slight defiance as I stood. "Yes, there is a positive to every choice, but there is a negative. No matter what I choose I will have to give up something, something great and wonderful in its own right. No matter the path I take I will always be forced to lose something. No matter WHAT I do it is a lose-lose-lose situation; this is a no-win. And I don't believe in No-Win scenarios."

I threw an accusing finger at her. "You have presented me with an impossible choice, one that I MUST follow, but I don't believe that to be right. There is always a way out, always another option, all it takes is to be clever, bold, and willing enough to find it. It may also require sacrifice, but it would be better than what I am presented with now. I refuse to believe that these are the only choices, that Destiny is utterly and completely predetermined. Destiny exists, don't get me wrong; it is the force that drives you to a destination, a conflict, a future crossroads that you must traverse. There is order within this universe, and if there is order there are certain paths that everything and everyone must take, this much I understand. But I refuse to accept the idea that my ultimate destiny, the outcome of my life is wholly and completely predetermined. I refuse to accept that my fate is written in stone. I may be Destined to fight Huani, but no where does it say that I am destined to win... or to lose. The choices I make, the things I do, are what determines my future, not some abstract idea. I may end up at a certain place, but how I get there and the path I take is MY choice, NOT someone else's. And once I get there, the outcome of that event is up to ME and what I do, not what some ancient tablet predicts. Destiny may not be up to me, but my Fate IS. And I REFUSE to let it be any other way!"

The fire in my eyes was intense, a passion so great that even the specter seemed mildly surprised. "I don't believe in the no win. There is ALWAYS a way out.... isn't there? That's why there are four heads, not three." I pointed to the statues above her. "The very fact that there are four heads suggest that there is yet another option, one that exists but is not easily seen. And that is the choice I will make Specter... I choose the fourth head."

The world before me was crystal clear, the solution as bright as day. It had been hidden from me until now, but now that I could see it, I seized it... and didn't let go. Once again I pointed a finger at her, a victorious smile on my face.

"Behold, Specter: I choose not the three outcomes presented. You rightfully said that there was only space for one next to me... but you never said I could not give up MY seat. So this is what I would do: I would give up my seat and my reigns to my best friend, helping the dying Turaga onto the passenger side. If he was truly my friend he would understand that this is what I would want, that I could trust him with not only my steed but with my money, my life... but the life of someone else. He would rush to Po-Koro with the old one, seeing to it that he got the best medical care, knowing that soon we would meet again and that a life would be saved. I meantime would remain at the wayside, at that desert stop, with the love of my life. We would sit there and wait together, sitting under the stars, patient until my friend returned, or another caravan passed by. I would be patient, for that is possibly the greatest Virtue, for while I may sacrifice that time, I know it would be so worth while in the end. I would be willing to wait a little longer to enable the future of all three."

I stood before her, defiant, chin raised high. "This... this is the outcome I would desire. This is what I view as the best possible outcome. I refuse to accept the notion of a no-win."

I took a breath.

"This is my choice, Specter; the hero I choose to be."

OOC: Rare instance that I evoke the twelve-hour rule

IC

[Temple of Purity; ???]

During this entire time she stood there there stoically, impassionately, without emotion or even movement as she listened to my monologue. There was that single instance where I thought I detected mild surprise, but without visual or audible cues it was impossible to tell. We faced each other, the silence heavy as I waited for her to respond. At long last I got it.

It was the widest grin I had ever seen.

"Well spoken, Noble Toa!" she said, the laughter in her voice like a thousand splashes of water, ringing throughout the chamber. "Only the purest in spirit could come up with an answer like that, and argue it so passionately that I have no choice but to give you what you seek. Behold, Noble Toa, the Crystal of Purity."

She waved her hand, and all four heads gurgled to life, the purest of waters springing forth from their mouths and into the pool below. Beneath her the platform opened up, the dais slowly rising, a light blue gem resting peacefully on its stand. Confidentially I stepped forward and seized it, feeling the smooth, cut stone in my hand. As I marveled at it the specter lowered down to my level.

"Your words are truer than you know. Indeed every living being has a Destiny, a purpose set upon them at the time of their birth and creation. It is this force that guides then, drives them into the future and places unseen. Yet it is not all-encompassing; there is such a thing as free will, and the ability to act upon that. It is not so much that individuals escape, overcome, or somehow evade their destiny; it is simply the choices they made in their life allowed them to drastically alter what it is they were meant to do, either for good or for evil. The same could be said of the Toa Mata - they were destined to fight the Makuta. Yet they did not win, as was prophesied. Was the prophesy wrong? Not necessarily. It is hard to predict the future, Toa, and even harder to take into account free will. The Toa Mata were not defeated because they were destined to, but because of the decisions made by those in that team while they lived. Had different choices been made, there would have been different outcomes. You are one of the few who have grasped this truth and are poised to make the most of it. I pray you do not squander it."

I just stood there, taking in her words, putting to heart the lesson I myself had just taught. I looked up at her in wonder, a faint smile on my lips "Who are you?"

"No one of consequence." was the reply, again dodging the question. Suddenly she bent down, scooping her hand into the water and pulling it out, only this time something small and clear held within. Turning around she handed it to me.

"Your answer has compelled me to give you a parting gift. From these fountains do not flow simply purified water... it is purified protodermis. Within that vial is the purest form of that substance, drawn from this very pool. It is a very special vial, Toa - an endless vial. As long as you remain as pure as you have shown yourself to be here, that vial will forever remain full, no matter how long you pour its contents, the liquid within coming directly from this pool. This place is one of the best-kept secrets, and once you leave it will be sealed once again. That shall be your one and only link to this place."

I turned it slowly in my hand, marveling at the design. The vial was clear with a hint of blue, ornate designs etched on every surface. It looked like glass, but it was very clearly made of something unlike anything I had ever seen before, looking fragile but from what I could gather almost unbreakable. The designs on it were beautiful, like ocean waves or summer breezes, mixed with ancient symbols and strange creatures. I could not begin to hope to understand the significance of their meanings, but I bowed respectfully all the same.

"Thank you for this gift; I will remember those words of warning and wisdom. I take it then we will never speak to one another again?"

No sooner had the words escaped my lips did a clear tube slide around me, the sounds of gears and old mechanisms grinding to life. The Ga-Toa vanished before me like a vapor, but not before she spoke these last words.

"I suggest you hold your breath."

There was the sound of rushing water, and the last thing I saw as I looked up was the ocean coming down to meet me.

I broke the surface, coughing and sputtering for the umpteenth time that day, my arms flailing in the open air. I'm sure I looked quite stupid, but after my most recent adventures look really weren't that important anymor-

Mt thoughts were rudely interrupted as I felt a pair of hands grab my shoulders and with ease lift me up and out of the water, landing heavily on some sort of flat surface. Now not only was I flailing and coughing, but I was dizzy and disoriented as well. I heard voices, but the rushing in my ears audio receptors prevented any sort of meaningful vocabulary spring forth. I tried swatting the voices and hands away.

"Give *cough* me *coughcough* a minute... *cough* "

As my senses returned, I was gradually aware of my surroundings. First things, I was on a boat... more importantly, laying in the bottom of it, and by the looks of it the same one Cael and myself had used to get out here. Second, it was night; directly above me there were stars set against a navy-blue background. I had spent over a half-day down there... no wonder these people were freaking out. It didn't seem like it was that long. And yes, it WAS people, people I knew; as my eyes and ears finally adjusted I noted it was Agni and Angelus.

And they were highly concerned.

"JOSKE! Are you alright?! What happened? Where's Cael?"

Immediately I was upright, frantically looking around. I hit Angi with a stare. "Isn't Cael here? In the boat?"

His face grew confused and worried. "No... she wasn't here when I showed up. I assumed she went down after you due to your extremely long absence. She's not with you?"

For the second time that day I felt the sensation of dropping like a rock, except it landed on my stomach.

"If she's not here, not with you, and definitely not with me... then where in the name of Mata-Nui could she have- "

It was in this moment that two different events happened at once.

The first was my vision... or more correctly my nightmare, the one that began haunting me almost a year ago, when I was still a matoran. I thought after meeting Heuani for the first time I put it past me, but as I found myself in a different place and time; clearly I hadn't. Not only that, but it was too real to be a dream, or even a nightmare - it was a vision. My eyes glazed over

I was in a dark chamber - a chamber I knew all to well. While normal beings would have been blinded by such deep pitch, I for some reason was not... especially Heuani, for he was a Toa of Shadow. The vile Toa preferred, for obvious reasons, the darkness to the light - he felt more at home, more powerful, in the darker places of the island. This place, far below the surface, was such a place. Unlike the tunnels and caves of the Onu-Matoran, this place was not carved out by the hands of beings. Perhaps it had been a long-dry river, or a pocket of lava. I didn't know. I didn't care.

All I cared was the scene playing out before me.Heuani was lying down, hands behind his head, as a lithe Toa of Water stroked his head and chest. It was clear she could not see in this darkness, but apparently she didn't mind; Heuani was one with the darkness, and Heuani was magnetic to her. This Toa was fawning on him, holding him, kissing him... Heuani had chosen her because she was beautiful: doe-eyed, smooth, excellently proportioned. It was obvious he was enjoying it."Heuani," she breathed in his ear, "You are... magnificent."

And clearly she was too."I know," he replied lazily. He could, after all, take any Toa he liked from the surface whenever he wanted. All it took was a brief trip to the world above, appearing from a shadow, a few minutes of conversation, and then they were his. Males, females, it didn't make much difference to Heuani, as he found both amusing in their ways. This creature of shadow would take a new hostage whenever he got bored with the previous one. He took beauties and intellectuals and loons, and all would provide a new kind of entertainment to him. He had picked her for a specific reason, however... a much more sinister reason."Get off me," Heuani said to the Toa, in an almost casual tone."What is it?" The Toa of Water asked, disentangling herself with the grace of a dancer."I have to go do important things," Heuani said easily."Aren't I important?" she pouted, not wanting him to leave, not even for a moment, his hold on her complete."Of course," Heuani replied smoothly, cupping her chin, "You are... magnificent." Of course, she didn't understand the irony of his words... she had no clue.The Toa of Water sighed contentedly. "Be back soon, then," she said, twirling her finger around his shoulder as Heuani stood."Don't worry about that," Heuani said, deftly snatching her finger, and pulling her close to him. He kissed her lips, the Ga-Toa lost in waves of ecstasy... and I watched as he used his mask power.The Kanohi Felnas, the Mask of Disruption.

Through the contact of their lips he corrupted his plaything's ability to control her element. Shocked and panicked, the Toa of Water sputtered and gargled as Heuani coaxed her own element to drown her. She thrashed and tried to strike him, now confused and conflicted, but Heuani was stronger, and held her in place as her lungs filled with her own water.

It was excruciating to watch, this woman coming to the realization that her own element was killing her, but unable to stop it. Eventually she stopped struggling, the Toa of Water going limp in her killer's arms. Heuani lowered her to the floor. "You bored me," he said to the corpse with a shrug and a grin. "Besides, I have an even more important date to keep... one that will prove to be much more... entertaining."

As he strode away the body shifted one last time, gravity doing it's work even down here in the shadows, and for the first time I got a full look at her face. Every time I had seen this play out on my head her face had always been obscured, an object always in the way, or her head turned away from my vantage point. Never had I the chance to see her face. Never had I cared to. But now in this moment I was forced to watch as the ultimate reveal was pressed upon me. I knew this Toa of Water; I knew her like no one else did.

It was Cael.

I blinked, and I found myself slowly rocking in that boat, Agni gripping my shoulder, a near-panicked look on his face.

"Joske... Joske, are you alright? What did you see? You look like death warmed over."

It was here that the second thing happened. Now that all the Crystals were in close proximity, they began to glow. Blow with power, with purpose... with knowledge. They were all together, which meant their bearer had to get the Keeping Place. Had to go now. No sooner had the vision ended was I overcome by a tremendous drive to leave and head inland, like a an outside force compelling me to move. Both this force and the vision had the same destination in mind:

Kini-Nui.

I stared out into the distance, unable to wrap my head around what was going on... but my heart did. Knew exactly what was going on. In my shocked and dumbfounded state a single tear rolled down my cheek.

"No... "

"Joske, what is going- "

His voice was drowned in a sonic boom that practically capsized the boat.

My Kakama was active, and with all the speed I could muster I ran across the water, tears leaving a wet stream behind me. Heuani had taken her. He had come when there was nothing I could do to stop him, seducing Cael to follow. Here I thought he only wanted me. I thought there was a shred of honor in him. But this... this was below low. Taking my love and using her as bait. Shield.

Handicap.

I went from water to land, willing my mask to move me faster.

Heuani would pay if as much a single scratch was on her.

Dearly.

OOC: for those of you who are wondering, Joske's continuing and troubling dreams are rooted in this post of Nuju's. Joske's been re-living it on occasion for quite some time now, trying to figure out what it meant.

Oh, by the way, Joske to Kini-Nui

Edited by Friar Tuck

IC: Crimeia

"Alrighty Mister Concussion, up you go, come on now, that's right..." I helped Veros up, leaning him against the tree he had just been smacking his head against. His head flopped to one side and he was grinning like an idiot. Oh you sneaky little karzing... "Look, I'm sorry about the whole little contest. It was stupid and immature. Now for the love of Mata Nui could you stop faking the whole brain damage thing?! Please?"

Veros's head flipped up and he quirked an eyebrow. "That bad, eh?"

"I've seen worse. There was that time with Vik..." I shrugged.

"Which time with Vik? There were a lot of times with Vik." Veros smiled. That was a good sign.

"I dunno, the graffiti incident? That was some baaaaad acting there."

Veros laughed heartily. "How many alibis did he run through before Jaller just said 'karz it'? 10? 20?"

I joined in with the laugh. "Oh Vik. He was a joy, that one."

Veros glanced over at Natalia, and rubbed his forehead, a weary grin on his face. "If it's all the same to you, I'll take you up on that healing now."

Edited by AlchemistMayCry

harlock-resizedagain_zps28810351.jpg

Under this flag, I fly in freedom. A space pirate, sailing the sea of stars.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"Oh son of a..." Agni cursed, but the rest of his words went inaudible as the Toa started moving across the deck. He ran over to where the boat's anchor-chain was fastened to the boat- A quick bolt of fire took care of it and Agni was alrady moving again, back to the helm of the small vessel. It sputtered to life and he pushed the accellerator to its limit, racing back to the village of water, following in the gust of wind left behind by Joske. They almost rammed the pier upon their arrival and Agni just thrust the lines to tie the ship down into a Ga-Matoran's hand as he and Angelus hurried past.

"Where to?" Angelus asked between breaths.

"Marines HQ." Agni replied and pushed himself to run a little faster. In a few minutes they had reached the large building, but Agni didn't go in the direction of the gate, but rather a smaller adjacent pad, where bird-riding messengers landed. If it hadn't been for Angelus, he would have teleported after Joske, but if he was correct in his assumption of where he was headed, bringing somebody else along was going to be helpful. They crossed between platforms and entered the hut, where a Matoran was sleeping in a chair next to a small Gukko-nest that was luckily occupied by a Kahu.

"Wha...?" the Matoran asked, but Agni just shoved his badge in his face. "Guard-business, we're taking the bird." he simply said. The two Toa of fire climbed onto the Kahu's back and a minute later, it carried them through the large opening in the roof into the night-sky, turning west, heading for Kini-Nui, where more than one fate would be decided soon. It was the place where the Mata had disappeared, it was where evil lurked literally just beneath the surface, if the stories were to be believed, it was the place where one went when challenging the shadows. Leaning low in his saddle, Agni just hoped they would catch up to Joske in time.

OOC: Joske and Angelus to Kini-Nui as well.

IC Ketru"Argh........."Ketru groggily sat up in the plush chair that he had collapsed in. How long had his systems been offline? A minute? An hour? A day? Ketru had no clue. "Nice to see that somebody's awake," a voice said in his head. "Apparently there is still a sentient mask on my face," Ketru thought aloud. Getting up, he stiffly walked out of the hotel.The village seemed to be in a tense mood. It lacked the usual business and cheerfulness that the village of water usually possessed. Instead, the air of the village seemed to have a combination mourning... and suspicion. "Something negative must have transpired in between the time that I passed out and the time I awoke," Ketru said flatly. Standing in the main square, Ketru looked around.OOC: Open for interaction.

OOC: I just have a few things to say to specific players in this region. I feel like from now on I will be doing this more often, since I think player feedback is what makes me a better writer. As always, I LOVE feedback by OOC or PM, even a; “you’re horrid. Write more like EW or Tuck, jeez Kughz. And knock it off with the long OOCs.” Everyone is doing a great job, but these are just some players I wanna’ call out right off the top of my post, so to speak. No order of preference -- just the order I wrote them in.

@ KNI: Alright, anytime with Reik now would be excellent timing.

@Fanixe. Thanks for the great material... I’d love it if Labelle ran along and said “yes” like a good improv. actor would, but that’s not my choice, now is it? Also, I am going to need a TON of mark bearer info... Who was the head of that whole arc again?

@ Vezok’s Friend: I am really enjoying Agni right now. He’s been getting more and more intriguing as the “teacher” of two toa of flame. Maybe he should just write a book titled: “Flame On: the guide to being the most moral toa of Fire in the field.”

@ Eyru: ROCK ON MAN! You are just cranking on the greatest Cael posts right now. I am really enjoying how her personality is constantly hinting at what she fears. Very inspirational. Also, the part where she leaves the boat is a GREAT tactical change in character development. I was jumping up and down going: “NO! BAD CAEL! BAD!” Can’t wait to see what she will do next.

@ Friar Tuck: Honestly Tuck, you’re just too darned good at this to keep making spelling errors. :P This reiteration of Joske Nimil is growing on me more and more. I think I need to go read from Ko-wahi and catch up on his game-screen-time. The transformation from hot-headed brawler to compassionate hero has been a real treat to watch, especially since I have a character in similar straits as well (not in this region, thank Mata-Nui.) When I read your “Test” posed to Joske, I stopped for a moment and began to think about it as myself. I came to the conclusion of letting my love, who loved me back, and the turaga use my ussal, and I’d stay with my friend. However, I went so far as to reshape the question to a worldly example for my family. The result was interesting. My mother immediately asked for all the possible parameters. Was the turaga going to die in a few hours, or days? How far was the trip? Was their food at the rest stop? Did the true love love her back as well? The questions went on for a while. She decided to give the elder a permanent seat on the “horse” and have the rest of the four share the open saddle, trading turns to rest as the four all crossed the desert at once.

@Gravity: Whew. I can’t believe how much more you’ve ratcheted your roleplaying and narrative description. I’m starting to lag behind. :P Can’t wait for a Liikyra post in this region, but for now: great job and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future!

@ EW: Yes. Thank you. You master villain you. What else can I say? I’mma big fan.

...and now, on with the show. XD

IC: The DOG [Coast between the beachside toa-quarter and main portion of Ga-koro. Sunset.]

The scarred flesh barren beneath Labelle’s kanohi bubbled, mutilated-carapace swelling upwards before bursting in the classic shattering squares of rainbow light, as if time itself was bending to restitch the past and present, to erase the afflictions upon a once dazzling toa. The light was almost blinding during the momentary disillusionment, but that’s just part of the plan, isn’t it? She wore the crisp lines of her Mahiki as a model wore the latest fashions down the runway. However, she was by no means a master illusionist. Ishi had seen farther more unfathomable things in his short carrier...

[30 years ago, Le-wahi, near the Southern coast.]

Kughii spat a rough glob of something white, coughing roughly as the toll of his exertion began to show. “Ugh. Mucus.”

“Is this really the time for that right now,” Ishi yelled, his hands clinging tightly to the wicker basket tied around the vortixx’s shoulders.

“Fighting is a running battle,” a voice said, the pitch impossible to not acquit as a tri-tone, a grating melodrama of discordant poly-phonics. The trees began to bend towards the right, a leaning ring of creaking bark and moss. Ishi blinked as the jungle began to spin, each tree sliding through the earth, burrowing their way across the landscape, forming a tight ring of only a few yards, his escort the center of their ring. The voice continued; “You are either running forwards, or backwards --”

“-- When you can no longer run, you die.” The second voice chimed in playfully; the woman turaga who had wounded Kughii with her dagger, a flying talon of death more like it.

Kughii growled and braised himself for the final confrontation, legs becoming the energetic equivalent of bow-shafts pulled from behind the knees. “That’s a crock of manure.”

“We shall see.” The world changed. The trees became flames, the rocky ground a tumultuous and rising wave, the white caps snapping forward to spatter across Ishi’s kanohi with the scent of -- moist dirt?

“They’re doing it again,” He barked out,” They’re manipulating our vision. Illusionists!”

“Y’know, back on Xia, illusions were kinda’ common,” Kughii said, his voice suddenly distant as his balance held atop the crashing waves, “We used them for all kinds of entertainment...”

“We’re not... wherever you just said,” Ishi replied with a hard slap to the back of the vortixx’s battle-mask. “I’m in a jungle, or I was, and now I’m stuck riding in a wicker basket on an ocean with fire roaring along the border. I call this lethal, not comedy!”

The woman’s voice cooed with polite sarcasm. “You’ve obviously never seen a master comedian. Dressed to Kill wasn’t so bad... What was his name again... That Ta-matoran who wore blue armor and heeled boots?”

The vortixx chuckled, his laughter distorted by the odd mask he wore. When they’d first met, Ishi could have sworn Kughii was just an incredibly tall toa of cream cheese with an Iden as kanohi of choice. Now, he knew better than to overlook his companions abilities -- at banter.

“His name was Izzard. You’re right. His live concerts almost split my side.”

Spinning his sword, Kughii jammed the blade into the ground, a rocket of energy bursting forth as it contacted with the elemental powers of stone, rushing through the blade’s length and up his right arm, absorbing through his armor as if sprinkled on a dry sponge. “One for the count!” He cried, the tempest calming to a flat pond. With a rush towards the flames, he slashed at the barrier, feeling the invigorating high of regeneration as the element of electricity scampered up his blade, assimilating like the one before into a flowing path of energy to the swordsman, returning his resolve and fortitude. He could barely feel the pain from his wound. “TWO DOWN!”

Continuing farther became a challenge as a great titan of stone rose upwards from the marshes. Behind stood the old turaga of stone, his staff planted in the ground, purple pupils glaring directly at his targets: a wounded vortixx mercenary and a feisty matoran with information. As he raised his hands to act as puppeteer for his creation, each digit extended in striking points of articulation. Kani urged his creation to fight.. The golem barreled forwards, it’s body wider than Ishi was tall.

“Why, why, why?!” Ishi muttered, banging his head against the edge of the basket. “I’ve seen all these tricks and yet..” Kughii whimpered and dropped, his body collapsing as the woman slammed a knife against his ribs.

“Kughz!” Ishi screamed as he was flung from his basket into the underbrush, body cushioned by ferns and the leaves of past seasons. “Karz,” he spat, slamming his fist into the hummus. There was nothing he could do. With grim determination, the informant crawled to the swamp as the warrior who had protected him the night before bought him time, Kughii’s face a roaring of spit and rage as he grappled with the toa of water, his fists silver from attempting to hold back the flow of his own ichor yet determined to produce as much from his enemy.

Ishi spared one last look at the two perfect illusionists before slipping into the swamp, his gaze watching the hunter who was now prey.

Kughii had bought Ishi time--

With his life.

[Present. Coast between the beachside toa-quarter and main portion of Ga-koro. Sunset.]

With... life... Ishi blinked. That was the answer. Life. How the idea hadn’t hit him sooner, karz it made him feel stupid. As his face rose from the waters once again, acted.

“Okay. Okay! I’ll give you your information if you stop acting so bossy,” he coughed out, his good hand waving wildly for emphasis. The toa of water stopped, loosening but not removing her grip on the back of his neck. Life. As he spoke, the words flowed smoothly, not like a charade, but as if the jury marching to the bench. Truth was spilling forth without error, without illusion.

“I’m an informant. You, are, or were, a mark-bearer. Of sadism to be more precise. When the marks were created there must have been some underlying reason for doing so: fear, pride, the incessant need to test crazy ideas hit upon during a drinking contest with fallen angels -- All of these could be possibilities. Having been unable to follow the every move of your large psychotic group I’m not quite clear on some of the more emotional or personal underpinnings. This is a place where you could fill me in.”

“However, I do know this: Tillian Juturna and Emotia became the pawns in some plot, some intrigue. I also know the other mark bearers -- those that are still alive and not cremated, frozen to bits, or buried by the weight of their crimes -- have also become focal points in a web. Puppets strung along a communal tug-line to the sticks of a master puppeteer. A few days ago, I might have called this the be all and end all and moved on to finding out why no one who sails beyond six hundred miles of this island ever returns, or if I could really calculate the location of hidden places based on a mathematical formula having to do with the stars.” Ishi paused a moment, rubbing the back of his neck as Labelle backed up a pace, letting him have the freedom to regain control of his own posture for the first time in several minutes. With a soft crunch, she planted herself on a sandy boulder, its surface smoothed to dull gray from centuries of churning waves

“Thanks, that feels much better,” He muttered, back popping as he stretched with his right arm reaching skyward. With a disinterested look at his left shoulder, Ishi plowed on. “The rest of the story is mine to keep, besides these facts that I will give. One, The Juturna murder and arsony of their casa was a remedial cover-up for another crime. Makeup on a bad facelift, basically. Two, the crime involves an important clue, which I know of. Three, you mark-bearers are really nothing more than a match that got too close to a fuse. My goal is to reveal what you blundering, murderous fools unearthed in the dark recesses of this land: you’ve brought out the worst in heroes, and the vilest villains to match.”

That burnt husk of a house had more clues than I had time to capture, but what I do have is seemingly enough... If I’m thinking right, people will wonder where my deduction came from... I’ll have to explain everything eventually. Karz, what goes on in the minds of normal people?

He stared at his sadistic captor, attempting to gleam the answer off the location of her armor, the positioning of her legs as she sat, the angle of her head as she glowered back.

“Can I kill you now for your arrogance, matoran,” Labelle asked grimly; “or are you not done?”

A cloud of displeasure coursed across Ishi’s brow. With a deep breath, he finished the last few sentences of his explanation. “In the end, I realized something though: the key to unraveling the web is you and the demented, trigger happy groupies you hang with. I can’t find the spiders until I’ve played with the flies,” He said as a disappointed look spread across his face. There was a lull in the conversation where the only sounds were those of the ocean and its denizens. He turned to look at Labelle and her vexing appearance. Now for the crunch.

“Here’s the deal I give: you fill me in on all the details. I mean all of them in regards to the mark-bearers. And, you get me to Dorian Shaddix. In return, I’ll forget the fact you just tried to kill me, and, I will save your hide the next time the spiders come knocking -- Dog’s loyal promise.”

Chew on that, you shape-shifting scar-face.

Lenat- Ga-koro

IC: The Vortixx gave the hand a firm shake and said, "The name is Lenat. Nice to meet you"

Turning to Voutok he held up the weapon and said, "Yeah. Have you never seen one before?"

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Voutok [Ga-Koro Square]"I...I don't...think so" Voutok replied with confusion. "Can I see it for a second?"Voutok slowly reached for the crossbow, holding it for a little bit. Eventually, something kicked in on Voutok and he suddenly gripped the Crossbow in its ideal aiming position, aiming with it. This felt familiar. TOO familiar. The sensation of having something of this shape was a sensation Voutok felt was very common.He felt his mind drift back to the scene of him and two armored figures walking through a dense forest. The crossbow--or at least, something similar--was gripped in his arms. He looked at the armored figures, and they too held similar weapons. The two armored figures abruptly stopped, one of them pointing franticly in front of them. Voutok turned in the vision and saw something that sent a wave of panic through him, and he fired his weapon at it.At that moment, the vision vanished, and Voutok looked as he saw he actually fired the crossbow itself in real life too. The bolt, on the other side of the street, was embedded right into the eye socket of a mounted dead Takea Shark."Uh..." Voutok acted as shocked and/or curious as the rest of the party likely was. He quietly handed the crossbow over to Firion. "I think I'll just...go pull that out. This should only take a second." At that point, Voutok pushed his way through the crowd. He hoped--nay prayed--that none of the Matoran noticed that. Then again, he's been wrong before..."What the karz just happened?" he thought to himself "How did I know how to work that contraption...I've never seen one of those in my life! ...I think...karz, what are these visions even about?"

Behind this sucky post count, a writer and hardcore RPer lies in wait of a reason to post...

For those who will likely ask when reading some of my non-RP posts: for me, "*shot*' = "I know that what I said was something stupid and I am acknowledging this before people think I'm serious."

Oh yeah, and my current BZPRPG character bio can be found here.

"Why...me? Oh yeah, that's right. I'm weak. I'm of a minority, a minority of people with a common trait: we hear too much. And what we're supposed to hear hurts to hear. When I'm alone in a silent room, I can hear a pebble dropping from a mile away. I can hear a motor boat being started up several yards off the coast. A whisper from outside, I can hear as if they were talking right at me. An explosion in another koro, I hear as if it's just outside. Sounds useful, right?"

"Wrong."

"It's a curse, if you ask me. The same pen dropping inside this aforementioned silent room would ring in my ears. If I stood by the same motor, I'd get a headache. The same whisper would ring in my ear like two metal beams being slammed together in front of my face. The same explosion would render me deaf for years...thank the Spirit I thought of getting me something to dampen the noise, or I'd end up like the rest of my kind..."

~Voutok S'Tythe; unknown date, unknown location

IC: Labelle

The beautiful Toa of Water pouted. She did not like what she was hearing. The Matoran seemed to know too much, like how Labelle had been the former Mark Bearer of Sadism. Nobody besides a select few other Bearers had known that.

She laughed to lighten the mood, clearly startling Dog. Labelle didn't like to keep things very serious, and she only pretended to be when she had to.

"First of all, I never killed anyone as a Mark Bearer. Some others did, but I certainly didn't. You might think I'm not very nice, but I really couldn't hurt a fly. Do you really think a face like this would ever want to hurt anyone?" she asked. She hadn't lied. She'd only killed people after she'd gotten rid of her Mark.

"And fine, I think we can have a deal. Just one question first, because you're not really in a position to bargain" Labelle began, motioning towards Dog's wounds. "What Juturna murder are you talking about?"

ooc: Don't think people really know Emotia's dead yet. Nobody really saw her die, and there's no body.

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?

OOC: Yes, of course, in our timeline, there would have been no notice of Emotia's murder. This is how deductions come in handy. :)

IC: The Dog

"Which Juturna," Ishi regurgitated as if the question had been nothing more than childish baby-words; "Why. Emotia of course."

He watched as Labelle nodded her head slightly to the side and blinked once. Twice. Ex-Scarface's mask-brows crunched downwards towards her chiseled nose. Her posture was rocking forwards, drawn in by his dramatic claim. Yes, she's never heard of this. I have information she doesn't know. He glanced at his shoulder again, the few inorganic life-wires that were melted were fizzling slightly from the water-torture. Healing after his little gamble with the melting window was going to take a definite ocean of blood, sweat and tears. Ishi was already wondering how to compensate for his injury, but not many solutions came to mind that could be immediately enacted.

"Why do you say Emotia was... murdered," Labelle asked curiously. It was obvious. There was a tremble in her voice, her pupils had dilated. She was trying to patch the information he'd given into an unresponsive memory bank.

"Emotia must have been close to you," Ishi said at last, standing in the shallows and wading back to the beach and his temporary colleague; "You seem to be taking this rather hard."

Lenat- Ga-koro

IC: The crowd swept around them as Lenat watched the Matorna go. Voutok was turning out to be an interesting companion. His reaction regardless, that had been a good shot.

An expert shot.

His mind went back to several other times he had seen the Matoran zone out like that. Sure none of them had ended quite as spectacularly but they all pointed to an interesting conclusion. The Vortixx had seen it many times before from Guardsmen and travelers in his shop. They would pick up a sword or a bow and then just sit there, lost in there memories.

I wonder what the kid is flashing back to.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Savina - Nixie's residence, Ga-koro -

Still, no answer. "Okay...." Savina guided Tehlin to a chair, helping him sit down with care. "Stay here...I'll go find her." She said to Tehlin, not that he was in any condition to do anything about it anyway.

Nixie had been quick to escape up to the second story, where her precious telescope in all it's glory was kept. Her current plan was to jump out the window, maybe not the best plan the Astrologer had ever come up with, but it would do for the moment...

Though as Nixie ran for the window, the plantlife that made up the walls suddenly grew out and closed it up, darkening the room. It was kinda funny how most Ga-koran homes were made of plantlife, it certainly was helping Savina in this case, who was coming up the stairs. "Why are you running Nixie? I...I need your help...please." Savina asked pleadingly.

Nixie eyed the doorway that Savina was now blocking the doorway. Savina clearly had no intention of letting Nixie leave. Nixie eyed the Toa carefully, "You...you were at the ritual...I recognized your voice...Savina." She said, almost lost for words in her own fear, yet she held her dignity well. "Look I'm sorry for what happened to you I had no idea that you'd lose your soul..." Maybe she could appease the Toa, who she guessed was upset with her.

"Oh...that silly thing?" Savina said, giggling. This really didn't make Nixie feel any better. "Oh that's not why I'm here at all, in fact I should thank you for that. My soul was holding me back from what I could truly become, plus it helped Anthyn come into this world, and she is the best thing that ever happened to me."

Nixie's mask paled in color. If revenge wasn't what this Toa came for, she could only imagine what Savina was here for, her analytical mind came up with several very possible reasons, most of them were not very good. "Then...then why are you here?" She dared to ask.

"Well it's...it's quite exciting actually." She said, barely holding her excitement as she thought about it. "I'm going to become a Valkyr, just like my angel."

Savina's face beamed with joy, though Nixie's was only getting paler and full of fright. One Valkyr that was posing as a hero while truly being a murderous monster was bad enough. Adding another Valkyr to that made Nixie want to hide under her bed and never come out. "But, you'll lose everything that makes you who you are! Savina will cease to exist forever!" Maybe she could still reason with Savina, convince her this idea was foolhardy.

"I know, but I can't go on like this Nixie...I thought being with Anthyn, doing her every wish, and staying by her side as much as possible would be enough to quench this...this longing...but it's not enough..." She said, her eyes starting to water. "But becoming a Valkyr, becoming like my angel, it will complete me. Don't you understand I have to do this! It's my destiny!"

This was when Nixie realized that there would be no convincing Savina of anything, the Toa was set on doing this, no matter what the cost Nixie wagered, by the looks of how desperate Savina seemed to be about it. It was just then that Nixie was thinking that it was largely her own fault that Savina was suffering so. She almost wished she could help her.

But of course, Nixie would never allow a second Valkyr to appear on Mata Nui, not if she could help it. "Look, I'm sorry but I can't help you Savina. I assume that you've come here to ask me how to reproduce the ritual that brought Anthyn to this world, correct?" Savina nodded. "Well, I can't do that, not with a clear conscience, which is tainted enough as it is."

Savina stared at Nixie, a look of disdain and disappointment on her face. "Nixie...you must realize that if you don't give me the information I want, Anthyn will come here and take it from you regardless." The threat was quite obvious.

To Nixie's credit, she stood her ground. "I know...but even then I will not give you or Anthyn the information you seek. I can't allow another Valkyr to enter this world! It would bring utter ruin to Ga-koro, and the whole island!"

Savina was becoming something she never truly had been before, angry. "I don't give a karz about Ga-koro! Or the rest of this forsaken island!" Vines grew out of the flooring and began to entangle Nixie, Savina approached the trapped Matoran getting up in her face, Savina's angrer relaxed a bit, her face becoming soft again. "Please...don't make me do this...it will be easier on both of us if you just tell me what I want to know." To make her point the vines began to squeeze Nixie.

Nixie didn't give Savina the satisfaction of an answer, simply staring at the Toa as she grunted in pain from the strain. She would take her secrets to the grave if she had to. If it meant keeping Ga-koro safe, it was worth it. Though Nixie was honestly hardly worried about her immediate death, Savina wouldn't kill her, not when she still needed to know what was in Nixie's complex mind.

Savina frowned, clearly she was going to have to try a different tactic, if Nixie wasn't afraid of death or pain...what was she afraid of? Savina glanced at the massive telescope, and then looked back at Nixie, the way the Matoran's face looked when Savina eyed the scope was all Savina needed, she couldn't help but smile. "That...thing...whatever you call it...it's important to you isn't it?" Nixie didn't answer.

Savina turned to look at the telescope, not even looking at the Matoran. "Well, if it really doesn't matter to you then...I guess it's just junk, here...let me remove it." The hut shook a bit as large vines began to grow out from the walls, floor, and ceiling, all heading toward the telescope.

"No! Stop!" Nixie yelled, though Savina ignored her as the vines were just starting to wrap around the base of the device. "I'll tell you what you want to know just stop it!" Nixie finally cried out.

The vines stopped dead in their tracks, Savina couldn't help but grin, though her face began straight as she turned to face the Matoran once more. "Then tell me everything you know about the ritual, the proper chants, and if it can be done with less people than before..."

Tehlin had been waiting for a while now if no idea what was going on upstairs, Savina had closed the stairway with her powers to prevent him from overhearing anything that was happening. Suddenly the pathway opened, revealing a quite pleased looking Savina. "It's alright Tehlin, me and Nixie were getting along great up there! She told me what I needed to know."

As if on que Nixie came down the stairs, glancing at Tehlin only briefly before going up to one of her charts and staring at it intently. "Yes it was all just peachy. Now if you don't mind I have a lot of work to do, shoo." She said dismissively.

"Well you heard the lady! Let's go Tehlin!" And before the Toa could protest he found Savina upon him, letting him support his weight on her once more and heading toward the door. "Bye Nixie! And thanks so much!" She said before exiting and closing the door behind her.

Once Nixie was sure they were long gone Nixie collapsed onto her chair, her masked emotions now showing, she began to shake uncontrollably. She'd told her...told her everything....a Toa she'd mistaken as a timid but sweet mannered girl had made her spill her guts. It was only a matter of time before they tried the ritual.

However, Nixie had once ace up her sleeve. While she had indeed told Savina the information they needed to perform the ritual, she'd told Savina one thing that was not quite true. Savina had asked Nixie if the ritual could be done with less people, as in less souls. The answer was actually yes, however....she had neglected to mention the quite possible consequences of performing said ritual without the proper amount of souls. Now Nixie wasn't sure exactly what would happen herself, but if her hunch was right, and they usually were, it would backfire on Savina and Anthyn in a rather terrible way...

...or at least from possibly their point of view.

Edited by Snelly

OOC: Sorry for lateness. Been a bit busy and burned out.

IC: Veros

I felt the healing energy pass through my head, taking the concussion and making it disappear into nothing. I rubbed my head where the bump had been, making sure I hadn't caved in part of my skull. I held up a hand. "Alright, I've got five fingers there..." I held up the other hand. "And five fingers there. I think I'm functional. Let's see if the old brain's working. Two plus two equals fish. I MEAN FOUR! I MEAN FIVE! FOUR. Right. Four." Crim rolled her eyes at me. "Thanks Natalia. Sorry about that. I'm feeling a lot better." Especially after that particularly silly "contest" Crim decided she needed to have. Well, she certainly hasn't changed.

"Well now that Mister Concussion is alive," Crimeia drawled, pulling me to my feet. "Shall we mosey on down to the village? I'm starving. Could use some food."

"Or you could hunt. You know. With that bow you have," I said. Always with the food. She could eat anything.

"Psh! I want some real food. And we can get it at the bar while you get information."

"I'm not paying for you." I said, patting my pouch. "Just sayin'."

Crimeia smirked and tapped her own pouch. "I've got plenty of widgets, thank you very much."

harlock-resizedagain_zps28810351.jpg

Under this flag, I fly in freedom. A space pirate, sailing the sea of stars.

BZPRPG Profiles