Bionicle- Nova Orbis (new world)

NickonAquaMagna

Ooooh. Oohohoho, now we're talking. So I see Ahkmou has changed from his former self. I suppose that's for the best, I wonder what kind of person he is now. I mean, he must be old as balls by now, so I guess that time has changed quite a bit for him. In other aspects, I do hope that the crew of The Manibus aren't all dead, that would be a terrible shame, although understandable, considering we (the matoran and the readers) have no idea what's out there. And that rahi attack was quite suspicious... Makuta corruption, perhaps? Or just malevolent sentience? Can't wait for the next chapter. Best of luck!

• Upvote 1

Ooooh. Oohohoho, now we're talking. So I see Ahkmou has changed from his former self. I suppose that's for the best, I wonder what kind of person he is now. I mean, he must be old as balls by now, so I guess that time has changed quite a bit for him. In other aspects, I do hope that the crew of The Manibus aren't all dead, that would be a terrible shame, although understandable, considering we (the matoran and the readers) have no idea what's out there. And that rahi attack was quite suspicious... Makuta corruption, perhaps? Or just malevolent sentience? Can't wait for the next chapter. Best of luck!

It'll be a while before we find out about what happened to the Manibus crew. We'll know someday, though. As for Ahkmou... yeah, he's really, reeeeeeeally old. Hopefully he's gained some much needed wisdom in that time.

I didn't notice this until after I'd finished the seventh illustration, but isn't it so fitting that the modern Po-Matoran are lighter shades of brown, even tan and beige, while he still has his darker Metru Nui colors?

I'm curious... how to people feel about the changes I made to his mask?

I'm also wondering how many people will squee when they see that cameo of sorts at the beginning of Ahkmou's scene. I spoiled it for Mesonak a few days early, and, well, it made him downright giddy.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna
  • Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

That mask looks awesome. I really like the design and it fits well with your style. I've even considered trying to 3D print it and get it on some MOCs (If I do, I'll send you one. :D)

Seems like Ahkmou has really come a long ways. I guess there's no Makuta for him to serve anymore, but carving Pohatu and saving someone while possibly endangering his own life? This doesn't sound like the Ahkmou we all know and hate. I'm interested to see how his character develops, as well as the reason behind that Rahi attack. I did laugh a bit about his description of the Matoran's...leaking. :D His incomprehension of mixed gender Matoran was also amusing.

I'm also hoping to see more character art coming soon. Your designs are so great, and they're always at odd angles or covered up by something. I can't wait to see more of the new Toa in clearer views. Ledas looks great so far.

I'm also curious, what mask is Mieli wearing? Is it another variant on the Rau? It looks very similar to Ahkmou's mask, although more simplified. I really wish I could draw masks that simple but that amazing. Mine always end up way too complicated or way too plain. :P

I'm hoping to see more! Your story is already developing very well.

Oh yeah, I was also wondering how you do your lighting effects? I've been getting into digital art myself, and I want to try something similar. You know how to do them so well, I thought I'd ask. :D

Edited by Click

That mask looks awesome. I really like the design and it fits well with your style. I've even considered trying to 3D print it and get it on some MOCs (If I do, I'll send you one. :D)

Seems like Ahkmou has really come a long ways. I guess there's no Makuta for him to serve anymore, but carving Pohatu and saving someone while possibly endangering his own life? This doesn't sound like the Ahkmou we all know and hate. I'm interested to see how his character develops, as well as the reason behind that Rahi attack. I did laugh a bit about his description of the Matoran's...leaking. :D His incomprehension of mixed gender Matoran was also amusing.

I'm also hoping to see more character art coming soon. Your designs are so great, and they're always at odd angles or covered up by something. I can't wait to see more of the new Toa in clearer views. Ledas looks great so far.

I'm also curious, what mask is Mieli wearing? Is it another variant on the Rau? It looks very similar to Ahkmou's mask, although more simplified. I really wish I could draw masks that simple but that amazing. Mine always end up way too complicated or way too plain. :P

I'm hoping to see more! Your story is already developing very well.

Oh yeah, I was also wondering how you do your lighting effects? I've been getting into digital art myself, and I want to try something similar. You know how to do them so well, I thought I'd ask. :D

Really? That would be amazing.

As for Ahkmou... yeah, he has changed quite a bit. Even as uncharacteristically charitable as his actions seem here, I guess you could say he mainly did so out of... convenience. I mean, she was right there, so... he hasn't really changed TOO much. And yeah, it's too much fun to see him flustered over the changing nature of "the kids of today". "Leaking" is simply the most sense he can make of bleeding.

I will provide some more character art soon, mainly of the Toa Miro, such as Venti. I'm putting a lot of care into their designs.

Mieli's mask is based on Gresh's helmet. His helmet is not a Kanohi and has no power... but I'm trying to mix visual elements of the Matoran and the Bara Magnans together in the new, modern Matoran.

I just use the lighting effects tool in photoshop.

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I remember reading the third chapter roughly a week ago, but since I always promise myself to be far from the internet until I finish a page, I didn't really comment on it and kind of have to think up again what I wanted to say then. :D

Obviously the story is starting to pick up pace. I was really excited for Ahkmou, when it turned out the lady Po-Matoran was chased by something. And he is really well written, I can't wait to see more of him. And the new cameo. I would recognise any piece of that guy any time. And dude, if he really is who I think him to be, I really hope at least a certain someone is there with him (or at least followed him or just survived).

Steering back a bit to Ahkmou's confusion, I think you've mentioned that Agori and Matoran are living together on the island. If I haven't terribly misread, then Matoran are probably familiar with how Agori live. It's been bugging me a while, especially since you dropped that bomb with the whole puberty thing, but how familiar are these Matoran with stuff like family units and how they work? And I'm more then sure that some time has already passed that local Agori wouldn't feel uncomfortable about being curious about Matoran. Wich leads me to the next question, that if there are any mixed couples?

bio_sig02_lores_by_oyee-d77i3td.jpg

New pages are up! Click to see latest! \(°u°)/

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Older pics: Helryx's Fury | Makuta Sethuldur | Order's Call (no necro k? C8)

Well, that's not really how it works. So much time has passed that the two races have kind of given way to a new "breed" of Matoran with Agori traits. They still have incredibly long lifespans, but they're fleshier and more vulnerable.

Though, are there just Agori among the "new" Matoran, or is it "just" them?

There may be a few actual Agori around, but they just kinda blend into the new Matoran at this point. It's just like the humans and reploids in Megaman ZX. Everyone's some kind of a cyborg now, so the lines between the two races are blurred to a point that the differences have become insignificant.

I just wanted to make things simple, you know?

• Upvote 1

Got something new to see over in the concept art thread! It's Toa Venti's Bio. http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11597

Oh, and here's the original version. http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-Toa-Venti-Bio-436170657

Hey, guys. The next chapter won't be ready until tomorrow, at the very least, but here's one of the illustrations I've finished. Just felt like sharing it 'cause it turned out pretty nice.

page_0001_by_nickinamerica-d78gv88.jpg

So yeah, it's basically Ga-Koro as we knew it back in the day, only... much, much bigger. Now, the Ga-Matoran mainly dwell on the cliffs lining the gulf, though there are still some who still live on lily pads in the more quiet parts of the area. It's a busy and very important place from which goods are shipped all along the southern hemisphere of the island, and to the smaller sister islands further south.

Turaga Macku's place is at the tippy-top of that peak waaaaay at the other end of the gulf.

It's gorgeous! I can't wait to see how the rest of the comic comes together.

Have you ever considered trying something like a wallpaper? Maybe spend even more time on an image, clean it up, add more shadows and such? It would look fantastic.

It's gorgeous! I can't wait to see how the rest of the comic comes together.

Have you ever considered trying something like a wallpaper? Maybe spend even more time on an image, clean it up, add more shadows and such? It would look fantastic.

That's really, really difficult to do with a mouse, even using the color select tool. More trouble than its worth, given the time I have to do these things. However, I will say the uncompressed PNG version of this on Deviantart is much cleaner than this JPEG.

Always glad to see more landscapes. Keep it up!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Imagine the possibilities if were using a drawing pad then... I'm assuming you don't have one since you mentioned "it being really difficult to do with a mouse".

Yes.... you are correct.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have chapter four online within a few hours!

You know, you having done all of this with a mouse makes it all the more impressive. Also, can't wait for the new chapter!

Actually, I only color it with a mouse. I use pencils and paper to draw it. Anyway, thanks.

Aaaaand chapter four is online! I won't be making it public on DA until tomorrow, so you guys get to see what happens next a day early! Once it's public on DA, I'll add it to the opening post here. http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/061/7/b/chapter_4_by_nickinamerica-d78mw63.png If it's too wide for your screen, just hold Ctrl and scroll down a bit.

panel_8_by_nickinamerica-d78mx79.jpg

So... I think these chapters are getting just a taaad too long. I'll try not to make the next chapter any longer.

As you can see, Ahkmou's sandmobile is exactly what it sounds like. A snowmobile that goes on sand, like the Cendox. I was originally going to put Chirox's super-long claws on the front, since, well, I've never been able to look at them without imagining them on snowmobile MOC... but sand is a bit different than snow, and those sorts of things would just make the whole contraption sink and stop. So I used those... whatever they are that appeared in some racers sets a while back. Also felt like making a seat for Ahkmou out of them.

And yes, this is the same place you see in my sig below. As you can imagine, it's a really important place in terms of the story, since this is where things really get going.

I had fun hinting at Ahkmou's dark ways throughout this chapter before he spilled his guts at the end. His reasoning for setting out like this is... almost beyond even me, to be honest. I guess after all of the horrible things he's done in the past because a certain someone lied to him in Metru Nui, being lied to like this is enough to give him a panic attack. He needs to clear things up, but not necessarily for the good of everyone at large. Rather, he just needs to find out the truth for himself, to make himself feel better so he can get through the day. He wants the truth so badly, apparently, that he'll charge into one of the most dangerous parts of the island to get it.

Sorry I didn't draw any illustrations for Calor's scenes, but we'll get to see what he's up to in the next chapter. This one mainly focused on Ahkmou, and then Mieli taking on a secondary role, and Calor last. The next chapter will focus on Calor in Onu-Wahi.

The "music" he hears when entering Onu-Wahi is another thing that should make the good ol' days come to mind. It sounds a lot like music from the MNOG, huh?

I had so much fun writing about Ga-Koro and the Ga-Matoran, and just showing how much their existence has changed. Inside Mata Nui's body, they had to spend most of their time working to keep him going. When they started slacking off, he became ill. This culminated with the Matoran Civil War, which nearly killed the great spirit.

Now, though, they are not confined to his body. They don't need to "work" to keep the world around them from crumbling away or shutting down. No longer are they the simple nanobots that the Great Beings describe them as. They still have JOBS, of course, but in the same manner we do, more of a livelihood, to keep their way of life going. They still have room for... play.

I especially enjoyed drawing the Ga-Matoran Mieli meets. I just have fun drawing big, strong girls as opposed to frail, weak ones or "moeblobs." For those who are wondering, her name is Imber. And no, she still isn't quite as tall as Trux. Also, the Bo-Matoran's name is Silva. We'll see more of these two as this story goes on.

Anyhow, lots of crazy things are going down! Some things we may not know the truth behind for a long while. The implications are unsettling, to say the least.

Anyway, that's it for now! I hope you guys have enjoyed this installment. Please continue to spread the word and let people know about this if you think they may enjoy it. I'll upload the next chapter in two weeks, as usual. In the meantime, feedback is appreciated.

http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-Mystery-Chapter-4-437949756 Well guys, here's the new chapter, public for all to see.... but I'm not going to copy and paste the notes from the previous post, so please scroll up a bit if you want to read that.

I linked this chapter here a day early, but... I guess it was useless to, since apparently no one really read it... but hey, it's here, so... yeah. Any thoughts?

I actually read it yesterday, but neglected to post. Sorry about that. Anyway, I'm really getting excited now, things are starting to pick up pace, things are setting in motion, and that hasn't been more true than now for this chapter. Can't wait for the next chapter. Best of luck.

I actually read it yesterday, but neglected to post. Sorry about that. Anyway, I'm really getting excited now, things are starting to pick up pace, things are setting in motion, and that hasn't been more true than now for this chapter. Can't wait for the next chapter. Best of luck.

Thanks. Ahkmou in particular is quickly becoming my favorite character to write. What do you think of him, now that he's spilled his guts (what little he has) and made himself vulnerable, like this?

Wait, I have a question about this whole "Elder Spirits" thing. How could they have forgotten about Mata Nui and the Great Beings? They were kind of pivotal in the Matoran and Agori culture. And it's not like there's no one left who remembers. Three of the Turaga are inhabitants of the MU and were part of the Chronicler's Company. How could they have allowed the Matoran to forget like they once did on Mata Nui under the rule of the Makuta? Also, how did belief in the Elder Spirits come about? What are they, and what do they do?

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

Wait, I have a question about this whole "Elder Spirits" thing. How could they have forgotten about Mata Nui and the Great Beings? They were kind of pivotal in the Matoran and Agori culture. And it's not like there's no one left who remembers. Three of the Turaga are inhabitants of the MU and were part of the Chronicler's Company. How could they have allowed the Matoran to forget like they once did on Mata Nui under the rule of the Makuta? Also, how did belief in the Elder Spirits come about? What are they, and what do they do?

"Elder spirits" is just a vague term they use for whoever created the world and the universe. To the new Matoran, Sphereus Magna isn't just a planet... it's like this intangible, heavenly realm they descended from to cultivate other worlds. However, most of them don't know anything about a Mata Nui or Makuta or whatever. They don't even remember leaving Sphereus Magna to come to Nova Orbis. It's just been sooooooooo long since any of that happened, the Turaga have done a good job removing the Matoran from their own history, mainly to detach themselves from the great beings who REALLY created them and started this whole mess. Why? That will be revealed in due time... but not for a while. It's just part of the mystery. The "elder spirits" ARE their Mata Nui and great beings, they just have different names for them. There are a few people who still remember... most notably the Turaga, and Ahkmou... but they keep quiet about it. I'm just trying to show how the passage of time can change things so drastically.

Great work thus far, hoping to see more.

I like this Akhmou. I like that he acknowledges that he was bad, but seems to be making an effort to the contrary. I've been playing Bioshock Infinite lately, but I get the same likeable Booker DeWitt vibe.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Great work thus far, hoping to see more.

I like this Akhmou. I like that he acknowledges that he was bad, but seems to be making an effort to the contrary. I've been playing Bioshock Infinite lately, but I get the same likeable Booker DeWitt vibe.

Like I've said, Ahkmou is one of my favorite characters to write, at this point. I guess it can't be helped since, well, he's basically us, you know? He's one of too few people who even know what the old days were like, and as nice as this new swing of things is, there are things about it that simply frustrate him, because... he KNOWS... He knows when something is wrong, and something very clearly is.

Just a heads up, guys. Either tomorrow or the next day, you'll be meeting a new face! Be sure to welcome Toa Unda, the Toa Miro of Water!

Chapter 5 is online! here's the link! http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-Mystery-Chapter-5-440758134

Introducing Tenius! A lot of people seemed to take a liking to this guy right away, so I was looking forward to him appearing in the story.

I know I went a bit overboard with the blur effects in the first illustration and some things are kinda hard to see, but that's kinda the point. I wanted this place to seem really busy, with dust and grit and hot air everywhere. I'd imagine such a place would be quite disorienting for someone who isn't used to being in that sort of environment.

So... in this chapter, the modern Matoran's biology is brought into question. Mata Nui's body is made of Protodermis. So is everything and everyone inside it. The oceans? Liquid Protodermis. The rocks and islands and buildings? Hard Protodermis. The people? Soft Protodermis. Yes, even the "flesh" of the old Matoran had Protodermis IN it. As they say, "Its the stuff of life."

The apparent lack of Protodermis on this new world could be a clue about the Matoran's evolution to their new, less synthetic bodies. There aren't that many Matoran around who are as reliant on Protodermis as, say, Ahkmou is. So because these Matoran have less Protodermis in their bodies, they're... well, they're more alive. They don't need it.

Also... apparently, Matoran are now capable of getting the hiccups. We knew they could cough before, but... this is a whole new level.

I hope Imber's made quite the impression on you guys, in this chapter.

I had fun playing around with the blurriness of those last few panels. I wanted to simulate how such a scene may play out if this were a movie or something, with the focus shifting from the radio to Ahkmou.

Well, that's it for now! Sorry Ahkmou didn't steal the show this time around, but, well, I wanted to focus on Calor. See you in two weeks, for part six.

Feedback is appreciated.

I'd just like to point out that I've decided Tenius should have an over the top Swedish (Scandinavian? Finnish?) accent, like a rocker or something. Try reading his dialog like that and see how much more likeable it makes him. XD

Really, though... thanks, but... there's just more I want to know, like.. what do you guys think of Tenius and Imber? What do you think of things like Proto-Ore, the "highway," things like that?

I think the proto-ore is a good idea, makes a lot of sense in regards to this being a new world, and that the resources of the old world need a substitute. The highways are also a good idea, although I don't know what else I can say about that. Tenius looks like he's going to be an interesting addition to the cast, and I can't wait to see more of him. Imber seems to conform to that which I expected from her, the heroic and energetic type. As I said, can't wait for the next chapter. Best of luck.