Bionicle- Nova Orbis (new world)

NickonAquaMagna

So, could Tahu come in and kick some major butt?

BTW, I don't really like the diary idea.

Only in a flashback. I am eventually going to fill the gaps between this story and where the old serials left off, show what happened to Velika and the Toa Nuva/Mata on Sphereus Magna an' all that. But again, if Tahu and the others appeared here, this would become a story about them, and that would not be okay. I'm sure there are some who would like that, who would love to see Calor and Uira and the rest shoved to the side because they don't want new characters, and just wanna see Tahu and the rest again, but... too bad. That's not what Nova Orbis is about.

Nova Orbis is like... the Bionicle equivalent of Mega Man X... or ZX, or even Legends. You know how you've got classic Mega Man, then the X series jumps ahead a hundred years, then Zero jumps another century or two after that, then ZX is like, five hundred years after the classic series, and the Reploids are becoming more humanlike by the day, and by the time Legends comes along, it's been 8000-9000 years and the world has changed completely? Yeah, that's what Nova Orbis is. It's "Bionicle in the future," not so much a direct sequel, even though there are a few of the old characters still kicking, and tons of references to old stories sprinkled here and there for fun.

Do you mean Voima's diary?

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

So, could Tahu come in and kick some major butt?

BTW, I don't really like the diary idea.

Only in a flashback. I am eventually going to fill the gaps between this story and where the old serials left off, show what happened to Velika and the Toa Nuva/Mata on Sphereus Magna an' all that. But again, if Tahu and the others appeared here, this would become a story about them, and that would not be okay. I'm sure there are some who would like that, who would love to see Calor and Uira and the rest shoved to the side because they don't want new characters, and just wanna see Tahu and the rest again, but... too bad. That's not what Nova Orbis is about.

Nova Orbis is like... the Bionicle equivalent of Mega Man X... or ZX, or even Legends. You know how you've got classic Mega Man, then the X series jumps ahead a hundred years, then Zero jumps another century or two after that, then ZX is like, five hundred years after the classic series, and the Reploids are becoming more humanlike by the day, and by the time Legends comes along, it's been 8000-9000 years and the world has changed completely? Yeah, that's what Nova Orbis is. It's "Bionicle in the future," not so much a direct sequel, even though there are a few of the old characters still kicking, and tons of references to old stories sprinkled here and there for fun.

Do you mean Voima's diary?

HAHAHA I love it! It's the Megaman X of Bionicle! I didn't realize it until you mentioned it, but it really is!

• Upvote 1

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

They already have a character who fulfills that role, though. His name is Ahkmou. He's the new Toa of Stone/leader of the Toa Novus. Also, Piras is meant to be a lot like Tahu, both in appearance and temperament, sort of a successor who ended up losing his way, as we'll see in this latest story.

I'm sorry, but I can't drop the diary format of Voima's side of the story. Mainly because... well, everyone else likes it. If everyone hated it, I'd stop telling the story that way and tell it like a "normal" story, but so far, people seem to like having a sense of the passage of time, and hearing the way Voima describes things, rather than having another narrator describe things for her. It gives us an idea of what kind of personality she has, how knowledgeable she is, and exactly when certain events take place. It's like... you know how in Amnesia- The Dark Descent, you find Daniel's journals left around the castle, along with various other written accounts from other people, some of them centuries old? That's basically what this is. That was one of my favorite things about the game because, honestly, the story you could piece together from the journals was one of the scariest things about the game to me. And Voima's logs seem to have had that same effect on people. There's something incredibly tense about it. It's a fun mystery, and if the story was told conventionally, well, there'd be no mystery. Voima herself wouldn't even appear until very late in the story, giving her less character. By the time she'd finally show up, it'd be like, "Okay, who is this again?"

Going back to the Matoran, remember, this is picking up a LONG time in the future. Asking them why they would ever want to go to space and explore other worlds is like asking humans "Why would you want to do that?" The answer is obvious. It's cool. After living alongside the Agori and the other races of Sphereus Magna for a time, they'd become such an advanced race that the next step was to turn to the stars. Things didn't go well for this particular group, and after they crashed, they ended up regressing and becoming isolated, not unlike on Mata Nui. The reason they came to this particular planet, how things went so bad and why, that'll be explained in next year's story, which is a prequel that focuses on Macku and some other recognizable characters from back in the day when they first came to the planet.

As for Av-Matoran... that will be explained in time, like the Fa-Matoran.

• Upvote 1

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

The reason they came to this particular planet, how things went so bad and why, that'll be explained in next year's story, which is a prequel that focuses on Macku and some other recognizable characters from back in the day when they first came to the planet.

Wait a minute - Taipu's a Turaga, and so is Kopeke and Macku.  In Nova Orbis, did the Chronicler's Company ever become a Toa team?

'Cause if they all did... well that'd be awesome.  Kapura would kick so much butt.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Chapter 4 is online. http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-Journey-Chapter-4-Gunpoint-634265815

jtcch4preview_by_nickinamerica-dahmx7b.j

This has taken quite a turn...

Rest assured, this is pretty much as violent as this series is ever going to get. Throwing Vezon into the mix has shaken things up.

That's it for today. Discuss!

I haven't finished reading the chapter, but there is one thing you may want to address:

A very cranky Toa of iron woke up next to Sein, Ledas, J'oh, Zyvys, and Venti. 

-----
"We've been imprisoned. All of us," said Sein, "Even the Matoran."

"Then why aren't Unda and Sein with us?"

I think you meant to write "Why aren't Unda and Piras with us?" Because Sein is clearly there, and Ferrum even asks him why he isn't there. :P

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Unda's separate from the rest of his group, and there's no reason to keep him in a different cell like with Piras, who was their leader. Conclusion: he's a traitor and Zyvys is innocent. #freezyvys2016

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

So in a flashback could you show us Kapura as a toa, I could totally see him teleporting around and confusing everyone due to him not using the kanohi kualsi to do it, or maybe have him, as a turaga, teach someone else "the art of traveling great distances very quickly by moving very slowly"?

Oh, could you also bring back the exo-toa armor and show us a turaga takanuva?

My Epic: Ahkmou's Return and My story collection: Takanuva's Travels are my stories so far, look 'em up.

If I can't come up with a good justification to bring back things from the old story, it's a bad idea to do so. Toa Kapura? Yes, he will be in a flashback. Turaga Takanuva? On Spereus Magna, yes. He's not coming to this planet. He has his own duties back home, and has no idea where in the galaxy these characters wound up. The Exo Toa?

.....eeehhhhhhh. Maybe an exo suit of some kind, maybe even something built by the natives of Nova Orbis, something alien that reflects their culture, but definitely not the ones we saw in 2002. That would be unnecessary fanservice, and that's bad. It wouldn't do anything to improve the story, which is the only reason to include such material. I'm including Vezon in the recent chapters because I think he gives them an edge, not just because I like Vezon.

Also, sorry everyone, I've been working non stop on a review of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I'm going to be at it for another week, maybe. Next weekend, I should have a new chapter to share.

So I'me a bit confused, in the journey to caelum part, does this all take place during the Miro's 5 year absence or after the events of their return?

And if so, where are the toa novus?

Oh and after re-reading the first part and comparing Ahkmou to the main story arch, I have discovered that you have nailed how he would act thousands of years after Mata Nui won.

My Epic: Ahkmou's Return and My story collection: Takanuva's Travels are my stories so far, look 'em up.

So I'me a bit confused, in the journey to caelum part, does this all take place during the Miro's 5 year absence or after the events of their return?

And if so, where are the toa novus?

It takes place during their 5-year journey. That was stated months before this story arc started. The Novus aren't Toa yet, at this point. They're still Matoran back on Miro Nui.

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Hey, could you at some point throw in a theoretical toa nui?(it's kind of like a toa kaita, but with 6 toa instead of 3)

I figured that you would only get to use it after the journey to caelum part.

I think he already did. Around the time the Miro returned and began fighting the Novus, the Miro formed something of a Toa Nui, if I remember correctly.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I'd rather not say anything about that, yet.

Also... I'm sorry guys, I just didn't have time to put together an entire chapter over the weekend. I spent a night at my brother's place and we moved some stuff around, and I didn't get much sleep, and yeah, that Metroid Prime trilogy review I just finished did mess up my schedule pretty bad, so... nothing until this weekend. I'll be sure to set aside time to write chapter five, and Nova Orbis will return this coming weekend. At some point before the year's over, I'll probably just set aside an entire month to work on nothing BUT Nova Orbis. This is a stretch, but I'm hoping to finish both Journey and Return this winter.

• Upvote 1

Sorry for double posting, but I had to share something. Just read this in a post on tumblr.

"So it was never established that only stones could be empowered by Toa Energy. Which means any other items can be imbued and transform Matoran. Which probably means a King Arthur-style story is plausible within BIONICLE. 

Like probably some Toa of Water gives her Toa Energy-charged sword to a worthy Matoran, that Matoran transforms into a Toa, goes to travel across the land searching for some ancient artifact with a Toa Team consisting of members based on the Round Table."

Well.... that sure is inspiring. Kinda makes me want to draw a Toa like that, now.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna

Chapter five is written, and the illustrations have been drawn. I just need a couple of hours to finish coloring them, and chapter five will be released for everyone to read later today.

Nova Orbis is back.

• Upvote 1

Chapter five is online! You can find it here >> http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-Journey-Chapter-5-Witchery-639207274

jtcch5preview2_by_nickinamerica-dakkf6v.

So yay, Nova Orbis is back, after... what has it been since the last one went up, like, a month? More than that? Well, anyway, here we are, and this chapter is a biggun. Sure, not that much actually happens, it's just a flashback and some talky scenes, but the implications of it are big. I bet Vezon's ramblings about the time before time (which is actually a very relevant phrase to the new characters in this story since they were born in the time AFTER the time before time, which I guess is just... the time.) should be a treat for long time fans of Bionicle.

We also get the see the Venator's full range of mask powers on display, and I do plan to make posters of the remaining three that I haven't, sometime.

So, the Venators' names are Verlammen, Vloed, Warnord, Leedvermaak, Traag, and Te Veel, and their masks cause pain, general sensory overload, disorientation, distraction, lethargy, and paralysis... the the order of powers I just listed doesn't match the order of the Venators' names, as some may already know. Anywho, these are just the evil sorts of powers I've always wanted to see dark, mask-wearing villains use in a Bionicle story.

That's it for now! Hope you enjoyed this one.

Also, never forget, you MUST read Vezon's dialog with Mark Hammil's (early) Joker voice in your head.

...you know, if you want to.

It wasn't so much a big reveal as it was confirming some suspicions people have probably had for months or even years, now. And it's only going to get crazier from here.

Notice how Vezon never refers to himself along with the MU residents who came to Nova Orbis? He never says "We." The way he distances himself from them, you'd think he was never there for the ride, but then... how could he be here? And how would he know so much?

That is the mystery! But, probably not for much longer.

I noticed that. I recall him outright stating it, or something like it.

I'd assume his arrival there has something to do with the Olmak, but he hasn't suggested that as an option. Unless he drained that power when travelling to Nova Orbis.

Well, one can only speculate for now. :)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

So the Venators are here! And it looks like they mean plenty business. Just a question; Where do their names come from? They sound Norse, and I know you used plenty of Latin names for the characters in the first few arcs, so having foreign-language theme naming in this place would make sense. Also, was it due to the Venators that the Miro turned evil, or did the Miro just brainwash the Novus to prevent them from suffering the same fates as they did?

Anyway, Great job, as always. I wonder what kind of Escapades Vezon will inevitably drag Piras into next...

Also, never forget, you MUST read Vezon's dialog with Mark Hammil's (early) Joker voice in your head.

...you know, if you want to.

Really? All this time I've been picturing him sounding like Metal Face from Xenoblade Chronicles, just with less mechanical reverb.

Edited by Daronus

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

(I'll do this eventually, I swear...)

My BZPRPG Characters

Corpus Rahkshi Characters: Kol Arsenal Swarm Amalgamation

Skyrise Characters: Zavon

So, does Vezon still have the Olmak fused to his head in this, or was he fixed a long time ago?

Look at the scars on his head.

So the Venators are here! And it looks like they mean plenty business. Just a question; Where do their names come from? They sound Norse, and I know you used plenty of Latin names for the characters in the first few arcs, so having foreign-language theme naming in this place would make sense. Also, was it due to the Venators that the Miro turned evil, or did the Miro just brainwash the Novus to prevent them from suffering the same fates as they did?

I think they be danish. As for everything else, wait and see.

Also... ehhh. I guess that voice works. Vezon isn't quite as much of a hammy cad these days, though.

Sorry everyone, but there's no chapter today. I just didn't have time, this weekend. I'll get to chapter 6 at the end of this week, though.

One last note, I think I may've found Vezon's favorite song. Kinda fits the feel of him and the current story, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppZblOO6pA4

Edited by NickonAquaMagna

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So here's something, finally.

verlammen2_by_nickinamerica-daqieg8.jpg

Just a little something very late in the works to try to get myself back in the mood to work on Nova Orbis.

This is Verlammen. She is the leader of the Venators. Her mask power paralyzes people.

NOVA ORBIS LIVES!  And another Venator.  I like this one a lot, the armor design is simple but unique.  And don't take this the wrong way, but she seems like a dark twisted version of Gali, with the blue and the curved scythe-like blades.  I can't tell if she's supposed to be ice or water though.  I mean, she's wearing a fur-lined coat.  Maybe it's really cold up in Caelum, I don't know.

What kind of paralysis does her mask inflict?  Is it draining energy like Vorahk, a paralyzing fear like Turahk, or does it make all your muscles go dead at once?

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Yeah, I can see that. All of the Venators are all "off" colors, like sand red on Traag or dark tan on Leedvermaak. Verlammen in Thok's shade of very light grey. I mainly added the coat (which is only on her right side) because I wanted at least one of these characters to be asymmetrical, and she seemed like as good a choice for that as any.

Her mask paralyzes the body completely, as seen in the last chapter, and if someone is weak minded, it freezes their thought process, too.

• Upvote 1

Meet the blue Venator.

vloed3_2_by_nickinamerica-daqr4by.jpg

This guy is one of there more out there Venators. His power makes people lose control of their everything.

...just like Verlammen's. And Traag. And.... you know what, these guys are all about rendering their opponents unable to fight. Not very chivalrous knights, at all.

Feedback is appreciated. Only one more of these character pieces left to go.