Bionicle- Nova Orbis (new world)

NickonAquaMagna

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I discovered this on deviantart and, recognising it from seeing your sig around here, decided to take a look.

I am totally hooked. I'm currently on Chapter 6, and this is seriously good stuff. It's a great story on its own, but it's enriched thousandfold by your art. This is a brilliant series. I can't wait to see where this goes!

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's been some time since this topic was replied to. One month exactly. Still busy with other things, Nick?

Sorry, man. I've been really busy with my current comic, "Wrath of The Devilman." It's about halfway done. As soon as I'm done with that, I'll resume Nova Orbis. I just can't do any one particular thing for too long, y'know?

I discovered this on deviantart and, recognising it from seeing your sig around here, decided to take a look.

I am totally hooked. I'm currently on Chapter 6, and this is seriously good stuff. It's a great story on its own, but it's enriched thousandfold by your art. This is a brilliant series. I can't wait to see where this goes!

Well, you'll only have to wait another month or two. Sorry for the wait, nonetheless. I'm glad this is still attracting new fans despite the downtime.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

well. im impressed. this is a good blend of comics and books, perfectly fused together. needless to say, this is probably the most 'epic' thing i ever read. Im guessing, this is gonna end really well,with probably a couple plot twists or more, one of which, I guess, is that there is a makuta? yeah, thats what i gathered from the secret voice that talks to that turaga. am i right, or wrong, or you cant tell?

well. im impressed. this is a good blend of comics and books, perfectly fused together. needless to say, this is probably the most 'epic' thing i ever read. Im guessing, this is gonna end really well,with probably a couple plot twists or more, one of which, I guess, is that there is a makuta? yeah, thats what i gathered from the secret voice that talks to that turaga. am i right, or wrong, or you cant tell?

Honestly, In my humble (and possibly wrong, but non the less) opinion, I think it's probably something we've never seen before...

I have no plans to feature any Makuta in this story, sorry to say.

• Upvote 1

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Honestly, In my humble (and possibly wrong, but non the less) opinion, I think it's probably something we've never seen before...

I personally think it's a GB.

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

Congrats on getting featured, Nickon! This topic definitely deserves it.  :) Were you surprised when they asked you or did you see it coming?

I was optimistic that it may happen someday if I just kept at it long enough and this got big enough, but it was a pleasant surprise that it happened this soon.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great story overall. I love the characters and their personalities, as they have the same appeal as the Toa Mata in 2001.

I can relate a bit to some of the characters in it, and when that happens, I realize that a story is just that good.

In my opinion, this is a 10/10, and I read this before it was featured.

Can't wait for more!

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I saw this a while back but never had the time to read it. Now, I ended up reading it all in one day.

This is the best thing I have ever read on this site. The amount of work I can see you put into it is astounding. It's got the perfect mix of new and old, and some scenes just put the old Bionicle theme from the movies (just about the only thing I liked from the movies) in my head.

Though I came late, I'm glad I showed up at this time, because I got to see them become Toa on the same day I got to see them all in the first place. When I first saw Ahkmou, I thought he was gonna be planning some treachery, but I was pleasantly surprised, and he's become my favorite character in this series. A lot of his lines are just priceless, and the fact that he provides so much reference to Bionicle's older days is awesome.

So, looking forward to the next chapter of this great story. Amazing work.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

"This is the best thing I have ever read on this site."

Wow... really? That's.... pretty big. Thanks for the continued support, guys. I'm sorry it's been so long, but I'm at least 70% done with the comic I've been working on in the meantime. As soon as that's done, I'll get to the next wave of these.

Just to clear things up... I don't have to worry about this topic being closed down if I go too long without posting any new chapters, do I? I mean, my battle machine revamps topic was just closed down for that reason, which I must say came as a surprise (and a shame, since I was really proud of this latest revamp I wanted to show off)... and now I'm worried about THIS whole thing being taken down, too. Am I right to worry, or can I relax and go ahead and take the time I need to finish my other projects?

Hey, guys. Just wanted to let you know that Nova Orbis' return isn't very far off, now. In the comic I'm currently working on, all I have left to do is a few talky scenes (most should take a day or two to finish, each), the final battle, and the ending. So yeah... I should definitely have it all finished within a month.

Thanks for waiting, guys. Hopefully there'll still be some hype for this even after the new Toa are revealed at NYCC... And if the new Bionicle is a reboot, well, there's still this for those people who want something that keeps the original continuity alive.

• Upvote 5

I think that both are just as true to the story as each other. It's just that Nova Orbis takes place far in the future. It's like Batman Beyond or the Legion of Superheroes. It's just as true to the source material as the "present time" stories, the just don't have to effect each other.

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

Eh... well, what I'm getting at is, if the old Bionicle canon is essentially erased by Lego so they can start a new canon, there'll always be this for old time fans like me who just can't let go.

Hmmmmm... I've been playing Jak X like crazy, lately, and an unusual idea crossed me... what if, somewhere down the line, I threw in a subset of the Nova Orbis story (basically a serial on the side) about some of the Manibus crew (not the Toa Miro, just their crew, who would probably end up being Toa somewhere down the line, anyhow) being sucked into come crazy deathrace competition on another island, somewhere on the planet? A Voya Nui esque place, where everything wants them dead, and their cars look like something you'd see in 2009.

I'm probably saying too much, already, but... it should be clear by now that there ARE other people living on Nova Orbis, on other islands... and someday, we'll meet these natives and see how they regard the creations of the great beings. Maybe this is one way we could be introduced to them? They single out some of the Matoran because their semi-mechanical bodies are hardier than ours and can take more whiplash an' whatnot than the natives' and they're dumped on some hellhole where no one wants to live, broadcast for the entertainment of natives elsewhere, and they have to find some way to escape and make it back to Miro Nui.

Again, it's one way I could introduce a future Toa team (there will be other teams down the line), and if I can avoid making it too cliche.... maybe I could make it work? Maybe there could be, like, four or five Matoran drivers and three or four natives who wear armor an' whatnot so we don't see what they actually look like, and they have, like, super big cars an' cheat all the time an' whatnot... or maybe the bad guys could be drones or robot cars reminiscent of the Roboriders? I dunno. It's something I'm considering for people who like and miss vehicles.

And no... the natives of Nova Orbis are NOT humans, for anyone who's wondering... and Nova Orbis is not earth or something like that. Just throwing that out there.

Just imagine... Bionicle Racers

I think that sounds like a great idea! "BIONICLE Racers" is something I've been idly toying with for years, but it'd be incredibly difficult for me to do in stop-motion. You should go for it! It'd be a neat way of introducing the other inhabitants of Nova Orbis, and very fresh considering that the vehicles haven't been explored in this way before (the '08 vehicles were in no way Death Race, and I don't remember the '09 vehicles getting any story appearances other than as regular transport between tribes).

If you want help coming up with/designing vehicles, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand!

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

I think that sounds like a great idea! "BIONICLE Racers" is something I've been idly toying with for years, but it'd be incredibly difficult for me to do in stop-motion. You should go for it! It'd be a neat way of introducing the other inhabitants of Nova Orbis, and very fresh considering that the vehicles haven't been explored in this way before (the '08 vehicles were in no way Death Race, and I don't remember the '09 vehicles getting any story appearances other than as regular transport between tribes).

If you want help coming up with/designing vehicles, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand!

Thanks. It'll be a long while before I'll get around to a story like that, but I could use any help people would give. I do have some ideas for vehicles of my own, but if anyone's eager to make a vehicle of their own that could make an appearance in Nova Orbis, build away! I'm up for it. They'd be stylized a bit in the illustrations, to look more like actual cars, but the changes wouldn't be TOO deep. I still need to figure out who the drivers should be, how many of them there are, what I'd want their elements to be an' all that.. and even then, I'm only CONSIDERING doing this, at this point. It depends on how snugly I can squeeze it into the larger narrative.

As for the general aesthetic of the vehicles, well, look no further than Jak X. I love the whole armor plated, rocket propelled dune buggy feel, and think it would translate very well into technic vehicles. Heck, Toa Piras' ride, the Kegan, is already a decent example of this. No need to feel pressured to make them "actual size" for Matoran sized or Inika sized figures... this is a fantasy, after all. As long as they look rugged and spiffy, they can be minifig scale, for all I care. At the moment, I do know that I'd at least like an ice themed one.

This could be really fun. I mean, dang, can anyone listen to something like this and honestly tell me they aren't imagining a desperate to win Ta-Matoran rumbling around in a volcano or something?

Well... not necessarily. I have a few designs made already for a story of my own, and I could share them, if you're interested. They're just side drawings though, so you'd have to interpret them from that.

M'kay. Feel free to share. I'd just like to see them.

I've been following the series for a while (probs since the beginning) and would just like to say that it it is truly awesome - you seem to be really skilled at creating mystery and intrigue :D.

Quick question: is "The Mystery of the Toa Miro" gonna be a completely contained story, with other, unrelated stories set on Nova Orbis coming along later, or is it the name for this chapter of a much larger story?

Also, the death racer idea sounds awesome too :P. I don't do much MOCing these days and am a little rusty at this point, but I'd be happy to make some stuff if that story ever happens :)

Kathok

I've been following the series for a while (probs since the beginning) and would just like to say that it it is truly awesome - you seem to be really skilled at creating mystery and intrigue :D.

Quick question: is "The Mystery of the Toa Miro" gonna be a completely contained story, with other, unrelated stories set on Nova Orbis coming along later, or is it the name for this chapter of a much larger story?

Also, the death racer idea sounds awesome too :P. I don't do much MOCing these days and am a little rusty at this point, but I'd be happy to make some stuff if that story ever happens :)

Mystery of The Toa Miro is the story arc for the first year. Starting next month (hopefully) I'll wrap up the second half from where we left off. However, that is only part of a larger story. There will be other adventures for Akmou, Mieli and the others, and there will be little side arcs like the Bionicle Racers idea that give little peaks at other parts of this world that later become this huge bombshell in the main story. Next year's arc, as you can imagine, may see the Toa Miro return to the island... for better or worse. But that's all I'll say about that, for now. This racers idea would come along a little while after that. I have... like, five years of this material planned as it is, with an ending in sight. May as well make the most of this ride on the way.

Also, thanks. Any help designing vehicles is appreciated.

Heck, you can can even slap some Hero Factory shells on the cars if it looks good as armor plating and gives them a unique shape.

-snip-

They are both very strong-looking models. 

However they both seem kind of tied to a 'desert' theme. I'm not sure how well those will work out once they venture into other terrains. Maybe they can have a feature similar to the Toa Nuva's Adaptive Armor before the story takes place. 

bZpOwEr

-snip-

They are both very strong-looking models. 

However they both seem kind of tied to a 'desert' theme. I'm not sure how well those will work out once they venture into other terrains. Maybe they can have a feature similar to the Toa Nuva's Adaptive Armor before the story takes place. 

Ah... you mean that they'd need to be more like a giant snowmobille to function in a snowy setting, with treads instead of rear wheels an' whatnot. I getcha'.

Been following this since it started (you may recognise my username from DA) and I've started lurking on these forums since creating an account a long time ago when I was really young and naive. 

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy this spin on the original Bionicle canon and if the new sets have their own brand-new canon I'd gladly consider this a continuation of what 2001 started.

I'd also be interested in that Racing arc even if it's a long way off. All of the official arcs were serious, there's no harm in a fun but insane tournament of sorts.

Been following this since it started (you may recognise my username from DA) and I've started lurking on these forums since creating an account a long time ago when I was really young and naive. 

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy this spin on the original Bionicle canon and if the new sets have their own brand-new canon I'd gladly consider this a continuation of what 2001 started.

I'd also be interested in that Racing arc even if it's a long way off. All of the official arcs were serious, there's no harm in a fun but insane tournament of sorts.

Yep, I remember you. Thanks for the support.

This would be cool! I have a soft spot for Bionicle vehicles, and your drawings of them are really good.

Agreed. That ride that Piras has, it's all vroom-vroom and screech and pow-boom, and 'splosion noises. Really well-drawn, much like the rest of the comic. 

bZpOwEr

Hey, not to too my own horn, but could this moc be kind of what you have in mind for the racers?

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=532763

Something like that. Those wheels aren't what I'd go for, though. Those are more fitting for a chariot or something. I want these vehicles to have big, poofy tires, and to maybe be a little more colorful. Again, I implore people to look at some of the Jak X vehicles for some inspiration.

(that said, I did use those wheels for the Kegan... but if I were to design such a vehicle now, I'd do it a bit differently)

Yeah, I know that was pretty big, but I meant it. It's so true to the feel of Bionicle that I was astounded. There isn't anything else on here like this, that much I can say for sure.

Thanks, man. I know what you're saying. Bionicle touched a part of me that nothing else has. Not Transformers, not Sonic... Bionicle was my Star Wars.