LEGO The Hobbit Video Game Trailer Revealed

Silly birds, could have spared us all the rest of the travel

If you didn't get enough LEGO video game news in the past week, here's another one: Today the first trailer for the LEGO The Hobbit video game has been published. Honestly, it looks quite bland to me and at least in the trailer it even seems to be lacking the famous LEGO humor for the most part but that does not mean YOU cannot be excited for it! In that case, you may want to watch the trailer <a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6dgtf3xJ2c'>here</a> or read on to watch it on our site.

View the full article

It looks... I dunno. Because they're using the actors' voices, it doesn't give them much leeway to make good jokes. Just look at the ending, when a washing machine lands on top of the giant troll or whatever it is. That's not funny; it's random and confusing. Like this:

rsz_lego-lurtz-and-boromir.png

That's not funny. It's Lurtz shooting Boromir with a banana and a chicken. What's funny about that? It's random and stupid. If they'd stuck to him being shot with arrows it'd have been better, even if it is more violent (but parents who let their kids play a Lord of the Rings video game probably shouldn't care). Because they really can't use dialogue to their advantage they're trying to tell visual gags, but they clearly aren't as well thought out as in the early LEGO games.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

I agree with Skelly, to an extent. The humour in the LEGO games has always existed, but I think it would be better if they (for the most part) left it out in the LoTR and Hobbit games.

Though I must say, Bilbo losing his hair was kinda funny.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

On a similar note to what Skeletonman said, I'm not a huge fan of the games using dialogue clips from the movies. I think the mostly mute (or at least gibberish speaking) minifigures are part of what made the humor work so well in the LEGO Star Wars games. Although I do confess to enjoying the laundry machine gag at the end- just poking a little harmless fun at a scene which some viewers of the movie found over the top to begin wtih.

But I suppose its no big deal. Those who enjoy the LEGO game formula will probably enjoy this one as well. Too bad it doesn't cover all three films, but that's really a separate discussion entirely.

BZPRPG