2012 Hero Factory Sets Emerge

I may or may have not just looked at these on a non-reliable site... but I wasn't going to discuss them. Anyway, can't wait. I wish Evo had been given purple instead of white, but there are some really cool, and the thing on Black Phantom's launcher gives me so many ideas. I'm really liking the new blades and mace thing, too. Also... is that a Glatorian head I spy on Black Phantom? So, Breez looks cool. Loving the blades and Samus-esque shoulders, also the leg jets, but, really, white armor? Evo really reminds me of Samus, partially due to the big shoulder and gun arm. Loving Furno's new chest armor; really gives him an Iron man kinda feel. Nice turbines, but, again, pointless white armor. Rocka totally wins. Chain spear gun, trans-green thornax piece, and a good surplus of gold. Surge is meh. No 'new' pieces, since the launcher piece is pretty much everywhere on the heros and villains. Now, villains. Jawblade is obviously supposed to be some sort of... Dolphin? Really not liking the front arms, but the tail and mask are cool enough. Splitface is pretty cool. Mask looks like two parts, and he kinda has a split personality, especially in the style of the armor. Thonraxx has t...t...te...*faints* Thonraxx has teal, a colour I have never seen since I started collecting Bionicle. The others I don't really care for. Toxic Creapa is ugh, no thank you.

I figure I may as well do PBZPs now. But, I have a terrible work ethic,so they may take a while.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

blue=taken, red=in progress

Oh. Yes.Handcuffs? Now they're way more of an intergalactic peacekeeping force!Sleek swords? Brought back memories of Lewa Nuva. Also cool!Deep-Sea Furno? I just built one of those, what a coinkidink.Sharks? OH SHARKS.New shield piece? Hexagonal absolute defense!Teal making a comeback? Now we're getting somewhere.

The power of simple sentences in color!

okay, analysis time! well, I for one am thoroughly baffeled as to the seeting of these sets, i see airpower, underwater, land, i dont know where Lego is headed with this. but onto the sets, I really have mixed emotions. I think some heroes, especially evo are great. but at the same time, alot are a bit sub par (especially surge, whose 2.0 mode i loved, not so much now). i personally dont like the return to glatorian heads, I think hero factory needs to identify itself, not stick to bionicle concept, kinda why i didnt like the first wave (dont get me wrong, LOVE bionicle, but hero factory isnt bionicle, needs to be different.) finally i do see some great new piecs, those swords on breez and phantom, the cyber shields, cuffs, love alot of it!

This seems to me like a "Back to Basics" approach for LEGO. All of the hero designs immediately drew me back to the first wave, which was the only wave I did like until now. I like that these are (usually) a bit more organic and varied- although I will admit, the teaser image on the BZP homepage had me thinking Rocka was Steampunk, and I was very disappointed to see that he really wasn't. If the teal stays, I'll be quite excited to see it. None of the villains really stood out to me, to be honest.

It's always darkest before the dawn

These sets look AMAZING. However, the flying shark dude looks kind of weird, and the Black Phantom has that same old Fire Lord design we love to hate. Other than that, though, they seem pretty cool. Never had hero cuffs in set form before. Does anyone else notice that the Black Phantom's helmet thing makes him look kind of like Toa Inika Hewkii?

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Well, looks like Hero Factory caught the projectile disease. I guess it would have to happen eventually, but I still don't like it.

7147-1.jpg Anyway, I love this new wave and I love love LOVE that they're going back to Glatorian heads, it makes using Rocka's and Evo's helmets for other things SO much better. I'll definitely be picking up at least Rocka and Thornraxx for sure.

bionicle is trans culture

Let's see now...

• [*]Black Phantom: Looks pretty cool, especially compared to past HF main villains. I'm liking the torso, shoulders, and head, as well as the mace. Those legs look awfully familiar, though... <_<[*]Breez: Shoulders look cool, very Samus-esque as others have mentioned. Those swords look awesome; I can't wait to use them in a MOC. Color scheme is also cool, but she could've used some more white on the torso. However, the handcuffs look completely out of place and seem to have no purpose whatsoever, which is made worse by the fact that they're included in each hero set.[*]Evo: No purple?! That was the best part of the original set! How could you give us back purple and then take it away again, LEGO?! :burnmad: I also don't like the asymmetrical arms, which have plagued HF since the beginning. He also doesn't have a weapon other than the thornax launcher, which is on every hero. Not cool. I do like the touch of red brought to the set by the zamor, but that's pretty much the set's only redeeming quality.[*]Furno: Finally, a version of this guy that I actually like! It annoys me that LEGO just won't let this guy go, but whatever. At least there's no Stormer this time around. (Though he was cooler than Furno). Jets are cool, as is the tubing. Decent color scheme, and it looks pretty solid with the exception of the trans-orange armor on the right arm. Once again, no weapon=bad and handcuffs=bad. The armor on the left arm looks odd, but maybe that's just the angle. The spear on the launcher is a nice touch.[*]Jawblade: Epic win. The shark design is very different and very cool. Color scheme is solid. The only thing I don't like about the set is the split jaw - it just looks...odd.[*]Rocka: First off, the helmet. It looks really cool, unlike his original lion head, which was just creepy. Gold is always good, and this set is no exception. Surprisingly, the white hero core doesn't look too bad, though it would have been interesting to see what the set would've looked like with some more white. I like the custom launcher; it almost makes up for the lack of a weapon. Handcuffs are still a problem. The shield looks out-of-place and rather flimsy, but I don't really mind as long as it's trans-lime green. The trans-lime green thornax launcher is cool, too.[*]Splitface: Well, I guess I can't fault the color scheme on this one. -_- Interesting concept, though the red side looks rather disproportionate, what with the huge armor on small armor, and then the completely bare forearm. The gunmetal side looks cool, though. The weapon is neat, too. Probably not a set I'd get, though.[*]Surge: Color scheme is FAIL. There's, what, six colors on this one? Mata blue, lime green, gunmetal, silver, white, yellow... Yep, six, count 'em, six colors, not counting the black base. FAIL. Rather sad, considering that this would've been a decent set if the color scheme was more solid. Mata blue and lime green would've been cool... I also don't like the weapon, it's just a different color of his original weapon, and the design is off-center. This wasn't a problem on his original set, where he held them with the flat of the blade facing out, but the way he's holding it now just looks messed up. And of course there's the ever-present handcuffs. The only redeeming factor is the wiring/tubing, which looks need with the blue center and transparent exterior. Shame, really - Surge was my favorite of the first HF wave.[*]Thornaxx: TEAL! :drooling: This almost makes up for the lack of purple in Evo. Almost. (I know where you live, LEGO...) EDIT: It's not teal... How could you, LEGO?! :burnmad: Reminiscent of the Nui-Rama of '01, as someone else mentioned. I'm a little iffy on the stickered wings, and the arms seem to be uneven (maybe the angle?), but it doesn't matter, I'm definitely getting it for the teal parts. The color scheme is very good overall, in fact.[*]Toxic Reapa: Oh, yes.
http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png Awesome, solid color scheme (loving the trans-lime green). Totally symmetrical. Cool helmet. Awesome weapons. The tubing/wiring looks cool, as with Surge. This set's like a dream come true. The only problem is the lack of armor on the lower legs, but that can be easily remedied.

Pretty cool wave, overall. By far the best HF wave yet. I'm definitely getting Breez, Thornaxx, and Toxic Reapa. I'll probably get Black Phantom and Jawblade, too. :t: :b: :3:

Edited by Toa Balta #3

Q2TtLEz.png

Well, looks like Hero Factory caught the projectile disease. I guess it would have to happen eventually, but I still don't like it. One item of note is that it looks like most of the heroes now include back armor, which can seen easiest on Breez. It appears to be a 1.0 foot attacked to the back of the torso frame. 1000101 BC 010101

I dunno why people act surprised about the projectiles; all of the villains in the 1.0 wave had them, and in the 2.0 wave; 3.0 had them in all the large box sets, so it's not exactly new. It just happens to be on the Heroes this time, and the villains don't have any. I can't actually see any back armor besides on Breez, but I'd like to see some form of it. However, that 1.0 foot isn't exactly snappy.

Guys, it´s not teal (a colour discontinued for years), it´s most likely the new dark azure colour from Alien Conquest sets, or ADU-blue, as I call it. ;) Why is it always the German online toy stores, anyway? :P ~Gata. ;)

Well, to start: That's actually a lot closer to medium Azure it looks like. I've had the chance to look at Dark Azure a lot lately (work x_x) and it doesn't look like this. It might just be me, but it looks like medium Azure. You have an equal chance of being right, though. And as for why the German online stores, the biggest reason is because they request advanced photographs before they order any sets in. That's all it is.

Yeah, I'm really fond of this upcoming wave, just as I have been of the past two. As with those, of course, there are a few disappointments.

There always are, Aanch :P

The white Hero Cores are a bit of a disappointment for me, although I prefer them to the transparent Hero Cores of the first wave that didn't always match the head/eye colors of the heroes who wore them. Still, most of the heroes keep their previous core colors somewhere in their color scheme, even if it's just on their fantastic torso prints. Evo is completely without purple, which is sad, but it doesn't ruin his aesthetic or even his nostalgic appeal (given that fantastic helmet design that echoes his 2.0 helmet).

The white core looks unique, I honestly think those are actually solid pieces versus the trans from the years past, and by the looks of it that's either paint or something on the inside. It'll lose out on being unique to the hero, but it wins in the simplicity molding.

The villains are amazing, with exciting color schemes, diverse appearances, and in many cases unique builds. Black Phantom is pretty mundane compared to the smaller villains, but he still looks very cool. Not sure which villains would be highest on my personal wanted list, although I love the non-humanoid designs of Jawblade and Thornraxx (as well as Thornraxx's introduction of Dark Azure to the Hero Factory color palette).

Without doubt, my favorite villian so far is either Black Phantom or Splitface. Two armor colors for the price of... well half, but still :P And Black Phantom has some amazing parts going for him. I'd love to build that one myself.

Overall the upcoming wave looks promising. Breez and Evo are my two favorite Hero designs, and Breez is definitely on my wanted list (I had Breez 2.0 and liked the design very much, and this one's Samus Aran-like armor is quite well-designed IMO).

Can't stand Evo's helmet design, and I think Breez's armor is very bulky, but it's different. I had a thought: What if these heroes are assigned to guard jailcells, like in a rotation? That would account for the extra armor, handcuffs -and- other small things.

bzpsig2015.png

These look really good if you're into H.F. The designs are pretty cool. Why did Bionicle never have all these new parts every year though?

It did. 2006 had 55 new parts, 84 if you count playset parts (and 95 if you count canister parts). 2011 Hero Factory had only 64 new parts (if I counted correctly), even though that's still a pretty high number. So far, 2012's first wave of Hero Factory parts has had 18 new parts that I could count. That's less than most individual series of canister sets-- only the Toa Nuva, Bohrok Kal, Vahki, and Stars had fewer (arguably the Visorak too if you don't want to count canisters as parts). And that's not even including larger sets from those waves in the tally! Granted, there are ten more parts in the Super Heroes sets that don't yet appear in the Hero Factory sets for 2012. Still, 28 new parts is less than the Rahkshi or Piraka if you count canister parts. And again, that's not even including larger sets that were part of the same waves. Meanwhile, many people still don't seem to have figured out that Teal (as in, Bright Bluish Green, the color used in Kongu and the Tarakava from 2001) has been discontinued. In fact, it did not appear in any new sets after 2005. The color used in Thornraxx is Dark Azur (a new color added to the palette in 2011 and first used for uniforms in the Alien Conquest theme) or Medium Azur (another color added to the palette in 2011 which will debut in next year's "LEGO Friends" sets, a new theme for girls). But not Bright Bluish Green. Hopefully the disappointment when the sets begin to show up won't be too severe. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

got some opinions finally: rocka is probably my main interest so far. highlights would be that helmet, which reminds me of the BIONICLE masks with that telescope on it, next in line is his cannon, looking a bit more like a bow. it appears to not only shoot zamor spheres, but shoot spears(or arrows???)that are fed into the bow with a chain. Lastly is his shield. nice transparent(possibly?)green. I found the background of Rocka's image questionable until i saw this one. spoiler (I THINK???) incoming -

Black Phantom is standing in what looks like Hero factory. You might also notice that he has already wrecked the place.

also, phantom looks like hewkii ignika in a sort of toa nuva form

. .

<--- kfghdjkfhdgmn;

I found the background of Rocka's image questionable until i saw this one. spoiler (I THINK???) incoming -

Black Phantom is standing in what looks like Hero factory. You might also notice that he has already wrecked the place.

also, phantom looks like hewkii ignika in a sort of toa nuva form

I see it too.Actually, he looks more like a prototype of Fire Lord...which is kind of sad, considering that we just got the amazing Witch Doctor.

Statements (Mouseover to view): <1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7><8> <9>

My MOCs:
Characters- Makuta Dys Makuta Kamazotz Lord Vladek The Helmsmith Protector OCs Skull Whaler Skull Warden

Creatures- Verdelisk Lord of Skull Spiders BBC Contest #69: Kahu Oko Taku

Do they remind anyone else of the Phantoka? Why do they keep doing the Fire Lord build? This time complete with antlers again... <_< Is that Two-Face I see?comics_batman_01.gif "Hero Cuffs"? Well, this is going down fast... I hate to be so pessimistic, but really? Good Parts™:

• [*]Black Phantom has a pretty neat staff, and in general is a small improvement over the Fire Lord.[*]Some good new pieces (Thornraxx has a pretty neat head)[*]Surge is actually an almost reasonably decent set[*]Yeah, that's it. The new pieces encompasses a lot though.

Bad Parts™:

• [*]Black Phantom is... the Fire Lord?
http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/annoyed2.gif[*]The Heros need to do a few one-handed pushups.... Evo especially...[*]Two-Face Split Face just looks... weird :blink:[*]Jaw Blade looks like... a flying fish? :wacko:[*]Hero Cuffs -- I mean that's just really little-kid-y[*]What the heck happened to Rocka's arms? o_O Oh well, they gave him a bunch of mechanical limbs to compensate... :sarcastic:

Edited by alpha123

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Wow, I'm actually very impressed with theses sets. They seem to include a lot more additional pieces than their predecessors, namely Furno and Rocka. I am totally going to get one of these, probably rocka because I like his design and I like crossbows. I like how he has a a crossbow bolt ammo belt attached to it! I also like the digital shields he and Breeze have, very cool high-tech approach. I really like the toxic bad guy, BLACK AND GREEN FOR THE WIN!!! I love that color combo. Also, teal on the Nui-Rama looking bad guy= win. The shark is also a cool approach, as well as the two face guy, he is really well done. I like how all the heroes have different missions and are equiped as such, as well as the inclusion of herocuffs. Overall, well done LEGO, well done.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I, for one, am not as impressed this time around. For one thing, there's only five Heroes, and I don't like that either Stormer or Nex aren't there.I shall review them here.Black Phantom: Not impressed at all. The only cool thing here is the helmet and weapon. Otherwise, it's just Fire Lord/Rocka XL all over again, and that build sucked worse than Vultraz. I like his armour, since it adds more bulk to him, but it still can't hide that ugly skeleton underneath.Breez: She's okay. I wouldn't jump to buy this one. She looked good the first two times, but this is not working for me. The red/lime colour scheme is good, though, and it works for her.Evo: This one is better. He may be smaller than Breez, Furno, and Rocka, but he's still really cool. This one I actually want to get, despite his apparent simplicity.Furno: He's good, and I like him. But that helmet doesn't belong on the 2.0 system. That's the only thing I don't like, but I do love the helmet on 1.0 Furno. I love his aquatic theme, and it actually works for him. I'm thinking about getting this one.Jawblade: Bigger disappointment than Black Phantom. Doesn't deserve a review. Rocka: I'm not too keen on this one. He looks great, and I love his weapon, but that helmet just turns me away. The only thing I really like about him is the gold, and that trans-lime launcher piece.Splitface: Finally, a villain that actually looks good and deserves some attention! His head reminds me of Thunder, whom I really liked. I love his asymmetrical design, and it works so well as to sell the set to me now. I'm getting this one.Surge: I'll be getting this one, mostly because I love Surge, and I never got his first two forms. The only thing that bugs me are his ahnds and feet--they're green, not blue. The colour scheme works for him, but it just doesn't have the same feel.Thornraxx: This one is interesting. I love that they brought back Gorast's wings, and it's insectoid appearance is brilliant. It's head makes me think of the Vahki, since it spits its projectiles. Also, TEAL!!!!! (Or at least a light blue for the skeleton pieces)Toxic Reapa: Okay, this one is amazing, mostly because of the trans-lime armour pieces. I absolutely love that, and his face is the big seller here. I think he's the best villain this round, and I will be sure to add him to my collection. Well, there you have my reviews on these sets, thought my opinions are subject to change should I get some better insight to some of these before I get a chance to buy them.t1ssig.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Jawblade: Bigger disappointment than Black Phantom. Doesn't deserve a review.

From my perspective I see a set with an unconvential, well-designed build that uses some old BIONICLE pieces and recolors some new Hero factory parts, not to mention containing an awesome head design. Oh yeah and he's a shark. That's awesome. But maybe you see differently? :P -Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Agree with everyone says Black Phantom is cool ( sorry, COOL ) for having that mace: it's definitely perfid!!! :evilgrin: But I noticed no one asked what could be the storyline. Well, I will be the first. :winner: Looks like something internal to Hero Factory building, someway, from what I can see that seems to be a techno window sorrounding characters ( or is it just a HF representative theme? ) and from those handcuffs: maybe Black Phantom and his minions evaded... Btw, Toxic I-don't-know-very-well is the best villain ever ( after Black Phantom, obviously ). - Lord of the Rings

Reminds me of the days of Metru Nui more than ever now. :)

^This^ This wave really has a Bionicle feel (probably because of the high number of Bionicle pieces). I have only ever bought one HF set, but now...I'm sure this has been mentioned, but what's with the number of heroes? Five? Is Splitface a bad guy in a canister? Also, DAT JAWBLADE
7. Putting all five Piraka in one tank seems like a dangerous idea. What if they start killing each other?

7) Who cares? They're creeps anyway.

-GregF

Man oh man I have GOT to get my hands on Rocka's trans-green Thornax launcher. IMO, the heroes look better than the villains. Some of the Heroes (Rocka...) look WAY too bulked up; they could do with a shedding of unnecessary piecesThe villains this time just don't look good at all.

Awesomeness

My perspective: Furno: He's cluttered, but looks okay at the same time. The 1.0 helmet is well-designed, and I'm glad to see it back. His torso is neat, with the flames placed perfectly. The white hero core is a huge con, but at least it matches his upper legs and turbine casings. (did he jack some of Stormer's armor? Lol.) The trans red armor on his right shoulder is a bit out of place, and the halberd on top of his launcher is a bad choice. I don't like the placement of his handcuffs, they look kind of awkward hanging from his leg. Maybe they're supposed to look like they're hanging from a belt, but they don't look like it. He looks bulky and ready to take on anything. Rocka: He has an interesting color scheme. Gold, bley, and trans lime aren't what I was expecting. His helmet is cool, the scope is rather nice, but it does look rather blocky. His arms are well designed, with the huge shoulder armor on the same arm as his shield, which is a cool piece, with a nice hexagon pattern. His other arm ends in what looks like a crossbow, with a chain holding some spears leading away to his back, and a pair of BirdBill blades for the ends of the crossbow. His handcuffs are badly placed, like Furno's, but seeing as he already had a white hero core, it doesn't look that bad, especially with the white tiger stripe design on his chest. He looks better than Furno, and is probably my favorite of these heroes. Breez: She's a lot more simple than the other two large heroes. She has her 1.0 helmet, which is a good thing, but her giant shoulder armor really ruins the effect. Her white hero core is bad, like everyone except Rocka, and her torso armor features a red honeycomb design, which matches her shield. (The same one Rocka has) Her swords look awesome, with their silver blades and red hilts. Her launcer is handheld, unlike Rocka or Furno, and is very simple, and looks nice. Her handcuffs are also hanging from her leg, which is a common flaw. She looks a lot simpler, and it works. Evo: I was hoping they would give him an appearance in this wave, and I wasn't disappointed. Well, I was, kind of. Not much. His helmet looks a lot like his 2.0 version, down to the intakes on the sides. It does, however, look a bit like a cube. His torso armor features a cool steel effect, with rivets. His giant shoulder armor looks good, as it, along with the 2.0 body, gives Evo's launcher arm a well-armored look. The white hero core, and orange head are disappointing, as I was hoping for some purple, but no purple to be found. His left arm is surprisingly, almost unarmored. He doesn't have his handcuffs hanging from his leg, fortunately, but he instead holds them. He is assymetrical, because of his heavily armored right arm, but it looks good. Surge: His helmet is his 1.0 design, which is okay, I guess, but it's not as good as some of the other helmets. The replacement of white with green in his color scheme is a good one, as it doesn't match his awful white hero core. He has one of his 1.0 weapons, which instead of looking like a staff, looks like a sword made of lightning. The tube coming out of the back is the same one Stormer 2.0 had, and ends up in a very weird place. His launcher is simple, like Breez's, and looks just as good. His torso armor features an awesome lightning pattern, and appears to be coming from his hero core. (Did I mention that I hate how it's white?) He has a simple design, like Breez, and looks good, except for his fart-powered lightning sword. ~DD

Herp Derp

Jawblade: Bigger disappointment than Black Phantom. Doesn't deserve a review.

From my perspective I see a set with an unconvential, well-designed build that uses some old BIONICLE pieces and recolors some new Hero factory parts, not to mention containing an awesome head design. Oh yeah and he's a shark. That's awesome. But maybe you see differently? :P -Mesonak
I just don't like the build of his head, and the arms are way too out of place for me. Also, he doesn't look like he has much bulk on his torso. I could be wrong on that, which is why i said my opinions are subject to change. If I see a review of him, which could give me some better views, I may think differently. Time will tell. t1ssig.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Reminds me of the days of Metru Nui more than ever now. :)

^This^ This wave really has a Bionicle feel (probably because of the high number of Bionicle pieces). I have only ever bought one HF set, but now...I'm sure this has been mentioned, but what's with the number of heroes? Five? Is Splitface a bad guy in a canister? Also, DAT JAWBLADE
LEGO has changed their concept to five Heroes and five bad guys. You may have noticed they vary in sizes as well, so there are two 8 USD/10 EUR Heroes (Evo and Surge) and three 13 USD/EUR Heroes (Breez, Furno, Rocka) now. As far as the bad guys are concerned, three are small villains (Thornraxx, Toxic Reapa and Jawblade), one mid-sized (Splitface) and one large-sized (Black Phantom). I am sure we can expect there to be a new style of packaging as well. :sly:~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^