Ninjago Advent Calendar

Lyichir

11467148445_d6d935bd69_c.jpg

I thought I'd share a project I'd been working on for a while! This is a Ninjago-themed Advent Calendar I designed to put on Lego Cuusoo. I put a lot of work into designing a variety of small and interesting models based on the theme.

I'll link to my pictures on Flickr, since I've already given them detailed descriptions there. Also, if you like what you see, I encourage you to support it on Cuusoo!

Full Photoset on Flickr

All Contents (pictured)

Day 1 - Kai

Day 2 - Anvil

Day 3 - Toy Mech

Day 4 - Weapon Rack

Day 5 - Zane

Day 6 - Snowball Catapult

Day 7 - Toy Helicopter

Day 8 - Snowman

Day 9 - Cole

Day 10 - Punching Bag

Day 11 - Toy Driller

Day 12 - Lamppost

Day 13 - Jay

Day 14 - Video Game

Day 15 - Toy Jet

Day 16 - Fireplace

Day 17 - Lloyd

Day 18 - Presents

Day 19 - Toy Trike

Day 20 - Christmas Tree

Day 21 - Nya

Day 22 - Tea and Cookies

Day 23 - Sleigh

Day 24 - Sensei Claus

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

While this seems mostly inspired from the Star Wars advent calender from this year, I think this is pretty clever. It's good for setting up nice Christmas scenes. I especially like how accurate the mini models are! I wish this was real so I could buy it.

mindeth the cobwebs

While this seems mostly inspired from the Star Wars advent calender from this year, I think this is pretty clever. It's good for setting up nice Christmas scenes. I especially like how accurate the mini models are! I wish this was real so I could buy it.

It's not really inspired by the Star Wars ones any more than it's inspired by the City ones or Friends ones. I did look at all of those to judge how best to make this; how many parts were appropriate in a model, how big the models and the parts themselves could afford to be, and what sort of order and fig-to-model ratios would be appropriate to an Advent Calendar. If anything, I'd say it took the most inspiration from the City calendars, which favor the more domestic Christmas scenes (as opposed to the Star Wars ones, which are primarily just figs and mini-vehicles).

If you would like to see it as a set, I encourage you to support it on Cuusoo! I'm hoping that it can reach 10,000 supporters by next summer (since it'll need plenty of time in the review and final design stages before it can be released), but realistically I'm worried that it might take much longer. Half of me even worries that Lego might preempt my design by revealing a Ninjago advent calendar at Toy Fair in February (of course, the other half hopes that that's exactly what happens, since I'd rather own one of my own than hold out hope that mine MIGHT be produced in the far future!).

I'm no Ninjago expert, but the precision of these tiny models is really striking. The inclusion of the plain figs seems to detract a bit from the novelty, though. Sensei Claus is the exception due to the twist involved. Again, I'm no expert. : P

The arrangement of models and days seems to be spot-on.

I think my favorite of the models is the toy mech. It's impressive how you were able to create a fitting and precise color scheme with such limited parts (and surface area, I suppose).

I'm no Ninjago expert, but the precision of these tiny models is really striking. The inclusion of the plain figs seems to detract a bit from the novelty, though. Sensei Claus is the exception due to the twist involved. Again, I'm no expert. : P

The arrangement of models and days seems to be spot-on.

I think my favorite of the models is the toy mech. It's impressive how you were able to create a fitting and precise color scheme with such limited parts (and surface area, I suppose).

The plain figs are only substitutes for the actual figs. The decorations for the figs are not all available to me on Lego Digital Designer, and as a Cuusoo proposal, the final look of the figs would probably be largely dependent on what year (if any) the set could be released in.

The toy vehicles were an exercise in compromise. I realized as I did them that trying to recreate sets exactly would leave some of the models with much to be desired. By focusing first and foremost on having the toys recognizeable as vehicles, then on having variety in comparison to one another, and fitting the characters and theme, I think I wound up with better models than if I had tried to recreate a single series of vehicles in their entirety.