New LEGO Mixels Pictures Revealed

Mixels

Today I got the new German LEGO consumer catalogue and was thrilled to find new pictures of the mysterious <a href='http://www.lego.com/mixels'>Mixels</a> that <a href='bzpower.com/story.php?ID=6170'>were first revealed</a> in July. Not only that, but Dutch online LEGO store SpeelGoed has added <a href='http://www.speelgoednl.nl/catalogsearch/result/?q=mixels'>finalized pictures of all Mixels</a> to their site as well. In the first batch there will be nine Mixels, three each of the colors red, black and yellow, though more in blue, orange and green are apparently still to come. All three of a color combine to form a larger Mixel! Read on for more information (including story details) and for more pictures!

View the full article

Oh, that's how there'll be so many of them...

The little sets are kinda hits or misses, but the combiners are nice, and they look like thye have some decent elements in them, most of all those new ball joints. I'll be more excited for the colors in the next wave, personally. But they look good.

:music:

The sets still look amazing and creative, even more so now that we see there will be combination models. From what I've seen, each set should be just four or five dollars, making them great impulse purchases.

And that story! I love it! It sounds very Jim Henson, which suits the wacky aesthetic of the sets. I only hope the media can live up to that sort of standard!

Huh. They kinda remind me of the X-Pods sets released a while ago. I used to love those things. Anyway, the sets definitely have a nice look to them, and the mini ball joint looks like it could be a very useful piece.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

You're not alone, Garnira. I'm not a fan of plate builds in general, and three near-identical builds with the same color is enough to get me to pass.

Also, they remind me of Furbies and those cotton-ball things that used to be handed out at school fundraisers. If they want to get into that market, fine by me, but I would rather save my money for high-quality merchandise.

You're not alone, Garnira. I'm not a fan of plate builds in general, and three near-identical builds with the same color is enough to get me to pass.

Also, they remind me of Furbies and those cotton-ball things that used to be handed out at school fundraisers. If they want to get into that market, fine by me, but I would rather save my money for high-quality merchandise.

Speaking of similarities with other things...

maxresdefault.jpg

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

I love these. They're cute, zany, and have a unique and iconic appearance compared to any other themes Lego currently has to offer. The new parts in these sets (the cartoon eyes and mini ball joints in particular) look like they'll be massively useful. The story also sounds like a lot of fun, and less serious than other themes. The fact that the sets combine into larger models makes them that much cooler.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Speaking of similarities with other things...

maxresdefault.jpg

I just Died inside.......

BionicleNYCC-327x252.jpg

:br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:

What is near-identical about these, from your perspective? Many of them use similar pieces, but from what I can see these are far more unique in their designs than most BIONICLE sets, rely less on specialized new molds to do so, and are far less expensive. Krader, Seismo, and Shuff seem radically different from one another. So do Flain, Vulk, and Zorch. Or Teslo, Zaptor, and Volectro.

Furthermore, if you think they're too similar, there's no pressure to get all three of each color. They seem like perfectly decent sets individually. But all things considered, there's more sense in buying three sets in perfectly compatible colors that offer unique parts and designs than buying six sets in less compatible colors that have barely any differences in their pieces or design.

What is near-identical about these, from your perspective? Many of them use similar pieces, but from what I can see these are far more unique in their designs than most BIONICLE sets, rely less on specialized new molds to do so, and are far less expensive. Krader, Seismo, and Shuff seem radically different from one another. So do Flain, Vulk, and Zorch. Or Teslo, Zaptor, and Volectro.

Furthermore, if you think they're too similar, there's no pressure to get all three of each color. They seem like perfectly decent sets individually. But all things considered, there's more sense in buying three sets in perfectly compatible colors that offer unique parts and designs than buying six sets in less compatible colors that have barely any differences in their pieces or design.

There's just nothing new about them much, aside from the mini-balls and the eyes. Other than that, it appears to my eyes to be standard plate-build material. The red ones all have the standard arcs that hold the plates in place and round it out, the yellow appear to be a combo of plates and cheese slopes, and the black ones are just blocky and apply a mix (pun not intended) of the yellow ones and something else.

I own about 5 of plate-building sets (because they're cheap), and I'm really tired of them, which is partly clouding my judgement but still. IMO there isn't much new here unless you like plate builds and want to expand building on that scale using the mini-balls and the eyes for MoCing.

There's just nothing new about them much, aside from the mini-balls and the eyes. Other than that, it appears to my eyes to be standard plate-build material. The red ones all have the standard arcs that hold the plates in place and round it out, the yellow appear to be a combo of plates and cheese slopes, and the black ones are just blocky and apply a mix (pun not intended) of the yellow ones and something else.

I own about 5 of plate-building sets (because they're cheap), and I'm really tired of them, which is partly clouding my judgement but still. IMO there isn't much new here unless you like plate builds and want to expand building on that scale using the mini-balls and the eyes for MoCing.

There's plenty new about them. Lots of new tooth/claw pieces, the new joints, and the printed eyes. Not to mention lots of parts in new colors, like the 1x2 curved slopes in Bright Yellow for the first time. And of course the concept is remarkably new. The only set anything like any of these models that springs to mind is 4338 Monster Pod, and even it wasn't designed to create such a huge variety of creatures with unique and compelling personalities. It just had instructions for three models, one combi model, and three other "inspiration models" that lacked any kind of instructions.

But to be honest, the measure of a set isn't how many new pieces it introduces. The best sets, like the modular buildings and other Creator Expert/D2C sets, tend to have very few exclusive new parts. The point of LEGO is to create lots of different things from a unified parts palette, so sets that achieve new things without relying on new parts to create artificial novelty are a very pure expression of that purpose. In contrast, sets that rely heavily on new parts to generate interest set a very poor example for builders, because they convey the impression that you CAN'T create something new and original without using new and different parts.

As a general rule, new parts should be introduced according to need, when there does not already exist a part to perform a particular function, and should be designed to have lasting value rather than performing an incredibly specialized one-time function. In contrast, introducing new parts where existing parts would be as good or better is simply wasteful. This is a part of what separates LEGO from lower-quality building toys like Mega Bloks, where there are lots of excessively specialized shaping elements that have few uses outside the sets they are originally intended for.

You keep referring to "plate builds" and I have absolutely no idea what you mean. These models use a lot of plates, but so do most LEGO System sets aimed at people older than five years old, especially smaller sets. That's just how LEGO building works, and if you're tired of that, then you're pretty much tired of the LEGO System in general. If you don't want the type of product that the designers set out to design, there's nothing they can really do to fix that. It just means the product probably isn't aimed at you.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I hate to be that one person, but... I can't bloody stand these. I was reluctant about chima, now this?! *DOUBLE FACEPALM SNIP*

My thoughts on this aren't THAT drastic, but, like most new themes (besides The Lego Movie, Castle, and Galaxy Squad) Mixels just feels... weird to me somehow. I don't really know.

Edited by Tanu Toa of Earth
toatanusignature.png

But to be honest, the measure of a set isn't how many new pieces it introduces. The best sets, like the modular buildings and other Creator Expert/D2C sets, tend to have very few exclusive new parts. The point of LEGO is to create lots of different things from a unified parts palette, so sets that achieve new things without relying on new parts to create artificial novelty are a very pure expression of that purpose. In contrast, sets that rely heavily on new parts to generate interest set a very poor example for builders, because they convey the impression that you CAN'T create something new and original without using new and different parts.

Agreed. But this is what I look for when getting new sets - they're supposed to be a little different from the parts I already have or introduce something new in building that I want to try out. Otherwise, I would just stay home and work with the parts I already have.

As a general rule, new parts should be introduced according to need, when there does not already exist a part to perform a particular function, and should be designed to have lasting value rather than performing an incredibly specialized one-time function. In contrast, introducing new parts where existing parts would be as good or better is simply wasteful. This is a part of what separates LEGO from lower-quality building toys like Mega Bloks, where there are lots of excessively specialized shaping elements that have few uses outside the sets they are originally intended for.

Agreed.

You keep referring to "plate builds" and I have absolutely no idea what you mean. These models use a lot of plates, but so do most LEGO System sets aimed at people older than five years old, especially smaller sets. That's just how LEGO building works, and if you're tired of that, then you're pretty much tired of the LEGO System in general. If you don't want the type of product that the designers set out to design, there's nothing they can really do to fix that. It just means the product probably isn't aimed at you.

I'm referring to sets which builds are entirely, or near-entirely, composed of plates, which is true of many lower-price point Lego sets. As opposed to standard-thickness Lego bricks. (Although that scale can be really big, so much that it's easier to build a wall out of it than a creature.)

Now, granted, it might be a little harder to design little stuff without using plates. I have nothing against plates in moderation. But when it composes most of the build, then I don't like it as much. Plates are easier to lose, harder to apply, and a terrible chore to disassemble. (Ow, my fingernails.)

It's just a preference thing.

These aren't the new minifigs, are they?

What on earth do you mean? They're obviously not replacing the minifigs in sets, and they're not replacing the Collectible Minifigures, either (which are continuing through 2014 first with "themed series" like The Lego Movie and The Simpsons and then with traditional series later in the year). I think they're more comparable to, say, the Friends animal packs, or the Ninjago booster packs.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

What on earth do you mean? They're obviously not replacing the minifigs in sets, and they're not replacing the Collectible Minifigures, either (which are continuing through 2014 first with "themed series" like The Lego Movie and The Simpsons and then with traditional series later in the year). I think they're more comparable to, say, the Friends animal packs, or the Ninjago booster packs.

I think he may be referring to this.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I think he may be referring to this.

-Gata signoff.png

Good gravy, are people still taking that as genuine news and not a LEGO rep sarcastically stating the obvious?

"New minifig designs" doesn't mean the minifigure is going to be radically redefined, it just means that there will be new minifigure designs just like there are every year for almost every theme. We've already seen new minifig designs in the 2014 City sets. And the 2014 LEGO Movie sets. And the 2014 Chima sets. And the 2014 Hero Factory sets. In fact, Mixels is one of the only themes (along with Architecture, Technic, and Duplo) that we HAVEN'T seen new minifig designs in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, seeing as the Mixels are being shown on Cartoon Network and it's based on a Lego toy, we can only expect bad jokes, plenty of crude humor, and lots of crazy Mixels falling down. I'll pass on the story.

The figures, on the other hand, seem great, if only for the new parts. I'm probably going to end up collecting all the "Electroids," just for the fun of the new ball joints, yellow, and the combiner.

I really can't wait to see what those new ball joints get used for though...

By the way, what do you suppose the packages above the Cartoon Network logo symbolize?

Edited by Click

Well, seeing as the Mixels are being shown on Cartoon Network and it's based on a Lego toy, we can only expect bad jokes, plenty of crude humor, and lots of crazy Mixels falling down. I'll pass on the story.

The figures, on the other hand, seem great, if only for the new parts. I'm probably going to end up collecting all the "Electroids," just for the fun of the new ball joints, yellow, and the combiner.

I really can't wait to see what those new ball joints get used for though...

By the way, what do you suppose the packages above the Cartoon Network logo symbolize?

What packages?

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I meant on the bags for the Mixels, there's this little box that has the top divided into 8 sections. It almost looks like a cartoon package. Now that I looked more closely at everything else, it looks like each section corresponds to a different Mixel "tribe."

And the more I look at these guys, the more I love them. I think I'll have to buy all 9. :D

I meant on the bags for the Mixels, there's this little box that has the top divided into 8 sections. It almost looks like a cartoon package. Now that I looked more closely at everything else, it looks like each section corresponds to a different Mixel "tribe."

And the more I look at these guys, the more I love them. I think I'll have to buy all 9. :D

Oh, I get it. I was looking at the wrong pictures. Not sure what that means, really. If each section corresponds to a different Mixel tribe, why aren't they coloured?

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I only figured that out by looking at the advertisement image with the story, and that is colored. Maybe they just hadn't done it for some reason on those bags. It seems really redundant though to show that this guy belongs to the red group if their package is already red.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I only figured that out by looking at the advertisement image with the story, and that is colored. Maybe they just hadn't done it for some reason on those bags. It seems really redundant though to show that this guy belongs to the red group if their package is already red.

Oh, you are right. Now I missed it in the catalogue scan. :P If it did indeed represent the tribes, though, then where are the Cragster?

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Huh. They kinda remind me of the X-Pods sets released a while ago. I used to love those things. Anyway, the sets definitely have a nice look to them, and the mini ball joint looks like it could be a very useful piece.

And seeing how many of the X-Pods I have, I will probably get some of these, especially if they retain their not-so-expensive price when they come to America.

I'm a little more doubtful about the story now, but at least the sets look fun.

Also, Gata, would you mind giving a translation of the text on the first picture? I'm able to make out some of it, but things like Sammelspass are a bit beyond me.

Edited by Master of all Kopekes
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Oh, you are right. Now I missed it in the catalogue scan. :P If it did indeed represent the tribes, though, then where are the Cragster?-Gata signoff.png
I assumed they were the orange ones, but then I saw the orange guy. They must be the purple. It's the only color we haven't seen yet (shame). Edited by Click

Oh, you are right. Now I missed it in the catalogue scan. :P If it did indeed represent the tribes, though, then where are the Cragster?-Gata signoff.png

I assumed they were the orange ones, but then I saw the orange guy. They must be the purple. It's the only color we haven't seen yet (shame).

I'd rather expect there to be purple Mixels in a future wave than the purple to represent the Cragsters. I mean, that doesn't even make sense.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I assumed they were the orange ones, but then I saw the orange guy. They must be the purple. It's the only color we haven't seen yet (shame).

I'd rather expect there to be purple Mixels in a future wave than the purple to represent the Cragsters. I mean, that doesn't even make sense.

-Gata signoff.png

Series 3 has purple Wizard Mixels.

BionicleNYCC-327x252.jpg

:br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:

The tan also seen is not in the box either though. Maybe the Cragsters are orange, and the orange guy in the logo is actually supposed to be yellow? I can't see why Lego would exclude them, especially since they're in the first wave.