Bionicle- Nova Orbis- Concept art ongoing collection

NickonAquaMagna

Hey, guys. From now on, I'll be posting character designs, concepts for armor, vehicles, locations an' whatnot to this thread and use this thread http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11507 for new entries in the actual stories. If you're interested in either, you may want to follow both, since they'll each be used for different things.

For now, here's my first finalized design for a Toa who will be making an appearance in the story!

uira_by_nickinamerica-d6z7szd.jpg

This is Toa Uira, a Toa of Lightning. She won't appear until later on, but from what I have planned for her, she's quickly become my favorite character.

She's kind of like a punk rocker girl, you know? She's really gruff, but still very much a girl, and just fun to have around.

I've decided that there will not be a Toa of Ice on her team, since the two would end up looking too much alike. Two Toa that look similar yet have completely different powers on the same would be confusing.

She uses the Kanohi Kadin, the Great Mask of Flight, and wields a bow (that can be separated into a pair of curved blades) to focus her elemental power into thin beams of light and release them in the form of arrows. To give you a better idea of how this would work in set form, I've included a couple of spear pieces, which can be pinned to her right shoulder when not used as arrows. These won't be a part of her actual character design in the story, though.

Anyway, her construction is very possible. It's a mix of two Mocs that I've made recently. Her torso is a backwards Inika backbone (which I usually hate, since it's a lazy way to make a character look "different") with three Toa Metru chest pieces bulking her up. Two hang from the top row of pegs near the shoulders, and the middle hole on each plugs into either end of the five holes in a row on the backbone, with the third chest piece fitting snuggly between them. Try this out, yourself! It looks surprisingly good, in real life.

There is a Toa Mata foot on her stomach, making her look more muscular, like she's got good abs or something, and she has the curvy Inika chest piece (Gelu's, for example) on her back, the upper chest of which I think looks great as shoulder plates. Needless to say, she looks RIPPED from behind.

I did still want to make her fairly feminine, though. The Inika shoulders being used to widen her hips, the three Toa Metru pieces sloping over the curved back of the Inika backbone making for a defined chest, and the Toa Mata feet looking something like heels, but not to a point that it's obvious or offensive. With these and the sleek, muscular Piraka legs, I wanted to make her look lean, nimble, and powerful.

Her right arm has one of those 2009 upper limb pieces with the pegs on the side, with another Toa Metru piece on the inside to give her some more muscle (I hate how stick-like those arms usually were) and a Mata Nui shield piece with a Guurahk staff on top to act as a sort of lightning rod, as if she draws her power through that. Her right arm has the Inika shoulder armor moved up a peg (like, say Toa Inika Matoro), and, well, that's it.

Again, I challenge a mocer out there to bring this character to life if they happen to take a shine to her. I'd love to see how that would turn out.

That's it for now! Consider this an early Christmas present.

EDIT

Well, that was a pretty disastrous way to start. I accidentally linked to my DA gallery. Well, nothing a quick edit couldn't fix. Sorry guys, I'm just juggling a bunch of things at once.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

BEHOLD~

I guess it isn't that necessary this time, but here's the original, cleaner version. http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/362/d/6/bionicle__nova_orbis__toa_piras_by_nickinamerica-d6zqg5u.png ANYWAY....

toa_piras_by_nickinamerica-d6zsooi.jpg

I made re-do this one at some point, adding a background to make it more epic. For now, though, here's the first Toa we'll meet on Nova Orbis. Ain't he something?

Yeah, I know the colors are a bit crazy, but that's kind of the point. This guy SUPPOSED to be extravagant and over-the-top because, well, that's just the Ta-Matoran's style. Yeah, it's a little garish, but I think this color scheme would look better on a toy than it does here.

An fact, if anyone has some spare knights' kingdom pieces or whatever laying around, how 'bout making their own take on this? Of course it can't be exact, but... you know, something.

The chest, shield, sword and legs were inspired not just by Tahu (as some may assume) but moreso by the weapons of the Bohrok, Bohrok-Kal and Rahkshi. Small, layered flames, you know?

Though the shield isn't depicted this way in the drawing itself, in SET form a shield like this can easily be attached to many limb pieces (especially a Toa Metru leg used as an arm) with one of these, http://brickset.com/parts/?part=4175442 and a rod inserted into the cross shape.

I think it's much better to use a shield this way than to place it in the hand. I mean, if some knight or gladiator was holding a big, heavy shield and threw his weight into it, he would break his wrist. Strapping it around the forearm puts a much smaller strain on key points, and better aligns it with the body.

The armor on his swinging arm is attached similarly. In fact, that's kind of the gimmick of all the armor. The leg armor works the same way, not unlike the ankle guards used on Ackar and Mata Nui. They CAN be worn over almost any limb piece, with something like this, http://brickset.com/parts/?part=4119589 but they fit best over the smooth, rounded Piraka legs, lapping along the calves. The feet and thigh plates are new pieces, as well.

The crotch plate is a Toa Metru chest piece, which is a bit hard to fit over a Toa Metru pelvis, but with the clearance added to the "new" pelvis, well, that's no problem. Also got a new stomach muscle piece and chest piece, and mask. In fact, the most recognizable piece in this whole thing would be... the Piraka Thigh armor on the other shoulder.

The Kanohi Hau is, of course, for nostalgia, but also to show how much the style of... all of this has changed, kind of like Lihkan's Hau.

Well, anyway... Hope you guys like this one. Since he's the first Toa to appear in the story, I wanted to make a heckuva first impression with him.

Feedback is appreciated.

• Upvote 1

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

This style you have is pretty interesting, all you need now is to add value (highlights and shadows) to your artwork to make it stand out more and giving that 3-dimensional feel to it! You should give it a try! Overall, these are pretty good stuff!

-Lehvorak

<< LEHVORAK ZONE >>

Web Design - Graphic Design - Illustration

Find out more on:

_

DeviantART_logo.png

This style you have is pretty interesting, all you need now is to add value (highlights and shadows) to your artwork to make it stand out more and giving that 3-dimensional feel to it! You should give it a try! Overall, these are pretty good stuff!

-Lehvorak

I have "given it a try"... trust me, I've been doing this for years... but as much as I'd love to have a two-toned shaded look, that's REEEEALLY hard to do with a mouse. I'd never get any work done if I took that approach. It's just too time consuming.

On another note, guys, here's some new art I just finished today!

Oh, and here's the full version from my DA gallery, if you wanna closer, clearer look at the Turaga. Recognize anyone? http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/002/3/5/bionicle__nova_orbis__toa_suva_by_nickinamerica-d70ij5z.png

nova_suva_by_nickinamerica-d70iimo.jpg

This shrine rests near Onu-Koro. It is here that the Toa Miro came to be, and where the Turaga gather from time to time.

The actual structure of the thing isn't quite like the Kini-Nui you may remember from the good ol' days. The six columns lining the five walkways used by the Turaga form a semi-circle, with the whole thing looking like a stage from the other side.

The elemental... elements are just flavor added to compliment the Turaga, themselves. The Suva grounds are not like this in the actual story. This is just a homage to the backgrounds on the original Turaga's boxart.

Here, we finally get a glimpse of the five Turaga of this island! Some familiar, some we have never met...

From left to right- Kopeke, Macku, Vesta, Albus, and Taipu.

Sorry to say, this is all I had time to finish today. Tomorrow, we'll get a closer look at each of the Turaga and read their bios!

Watcha' guys think?

Edited by NickonAquaMagna

I used to work with a mouse before I got my tablet and I can understand the pain that you are going through. Maybe I could give a few suggestions that might ease your troubles.

I'm curious what program do you use to color your works, because if that art program you are using has the lasso tool... that might help you a lot, or even the pen tool can make a huge difference. Those tools will come in handy when drawing your artworks, trust me haha!

Just remember that if you put a lot of time and effort onto your artworks, it would shows a lot when you present it than a quickly sketched drawing. This is where you can show the craftsmanship and details put on every single part of your art piece. I'll catch you later on maybe on DA or here!

-Lehvorak

<< LEHVORAK ZONE >>

Web Design - Graphic Design - Illustration

Find out more on:

_

DeviantART_logo.png

Hey, guys! Time for another update. Here's a closer look at each of the Turaga, following yesterday's shot of the Suva.

And, as always, I recommend that you check out the original. It's just easier to read, there. http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/003/b/3/bionicle__nova_orbis__the_turaga_by_nickinamerica-d70n9ka.png

the_turaga_by_nickinamerica-d70n8y7.jpg

I haven't really come up with an actual build for these guys, but you should recognize plenty of familiar Bionicle pieces. Each has a Bohrok/Bohrok-Kal claw piece on the chest, then there's the Slizer arms, Bohrok arms, Toa Mata feet, Toa Metru feet and Bohrok feet. Then, there's the legs... yeah, those are actually Hero Factory pieces. The smaller bone pieces, to be exact, with Taipu's being the absolute shortest.

So basically, Vesta is haughty and insecure, Taipu is "down to earth" (heheh), Albus is... chipper, and Kopeke is meek.

The most unusual of the bunch may, in fact, be Macku. The Ga-Matoran always seemed to embody unity the most strongly out of all the Matoran, so this emphasis on oneself is something of a compromise, and sets Macku apart from her predecessors. Perhaps something in the past made her this way?

Eh, whatever.

As for their tools... yeah, I know they aren't the most imaginative, most being retools of past pieces. Heck, Albus has a gardening tool. Vesta has a tool, as well, but he doesn't carry it around with him much.

Well, I hope they've made an impression! Feedback is always appreciated.

Next time, we'll get to know a few of the Matoran who will be recurring characters in this story.

I used to work with a mouse before I got my tablet and I can understand the pain that you are going through. Maybe I could give a few suggestions that might ease your troubles.

I'm curious what program do you use to color your works, because if that art program you are using has the lasso tool... that might help you a lot, or even the pen tool can make a huge difference. Those tools will come in handy when drawing your artworks, trust me haha!

Just remember that if you put a lot of time and effort onto your artworks, it would shows a lot when you present it than a quickly sketched drawing. This is where you can show the craftsmanship and details put on every single part of your art piece. I'll catch you later on maybe on DA or here!

-Lehvorak

I may buy a tablet at some point. My problem is that I just have so many projects I want to get around to, I don't want to spend so much time on any particular something that I have to neglect other things, even if it makes that one thing "special". I do have a basic grasp of all the tools you've listed on photoshop, though.

Hey guys.. I know I said I'd work on the Matoran characters next, but on the spur of the moment, I whipped this up and just had to share it. I really love how this piece turned out.

Also, here's the original, higher-res version. http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/004/a/c/bionicle__nova_orbis__toa_sein_bio_by_nickinamerica-d70thja.png

toa_sein_bio_by_nickinamerica-d70wbti.jp

Behold, the Toa of Plasma!

The background is the ruin Su-Koro was built in, the same place seen in the Su-Matoran background, only now seen from outside.

Su-Matoran are described as having white and orange armor mixed together, which, for a simple design like theirs, can be pulled off pretty easily... this, though? I tried throwing some white bits in there... but it just looked garish and didn't fit the character. But hey, Tahu and Jaller didn't have the same color scheme in 2001, sooo... who's to say the colors of a Toa of Plasma wouldn't differ from the Matoran a bit, as well? He's still orange, which is the most important part, I think.

The pieces underneath the outer orange armor are brown... well, maybe not quite just that. More like Pohatu Brown along with Metru brown, Avak brown or burnt orange. Either way, if the Toa Miro were a line of sets, this would be the line's equivalent of Pohatu or Hewkii or Carapar or Mata Nui or whoever.

Aside from the breastplate, mask and axe blade being new pieces, this guy's construction is very possible. The Skrall/Vorox armor fits beautifully over the Rahkshi legs, and on the outside of the Kiina/MataNui/Vastus bone piece, it leaves enough room on the inside for, say, a Toa Metru thigh armor piece, to bulk it up a bit. Hey, its better than nothing.

Nonetheless, in the context of this character, we'll say that's a new piece as well, about the same size as a Metru thigh plate, but smoother, more rounded and organic -looking.

Still, if you think this would be a fun figure to build, then by all means, try it out!

The axe in particular was pretty fun to draw. The axe has a "+" shaped pin at either end, and a third one on the back... so you could just keep adding stuff to it. Also stuck a Nuva shoulder plate at the end as a sort of pommel to bop someone on the head with as opposed to splitting them in two.

Anyway... the one thing about this background that I don't like, and something that's been a problem with all of these backgrounds, is that they end up looking nice enough that it's such a shame to have a big chunk of it obscured by the character featured in front of it. Most of the Matoran backgrounds are unusable now, but I won't make that mistake again... so I'm saving these new backgrounds by themselves, and I'll release the lot of them together as one big collage, once I've finished designing the Toa Miro.

And yes, I still have yet to make a suitable background and quote for Toa Piras. I'll get around to that, soon.

That's it for today.

Feedback is appreciated.

I am in awe, I just love this.. everything you have going on here. The world you are building, the designs, your drawing style, all simply amazing. Love it, love it, love it. I can not wait to see what more comes of this, I'll be keeping a close eye on you.

Thank you. There's a lot of love in this project.

I am significantly enjoying your developing world. The basis on actual canon gives it a nice twist. :) As for the art, the cartoon feel really lends itself well to something I'd want to read on a Saturday morning. :)

Thanks. Of course I want it to be something new, its own thing, but I still wanted there to be SOME little things that made it recognizable as... well, the Bionicle we knew... Or at least something like it.

Got another new guy to introduce you to... to you... whatever. Here's the third member of Piras' CURRENT Toa team. Breaks up the colors, doesn't he? http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/006/4/1/toa_ledas_bio_by_nickinamerica-d714ido.png Okay, I think I've finally found the ideal profile setup I'm going for. Quote, name, character description, then features.

toa_ledas_bio_by_nickinamerica-d714hdf.j

I had loads of fun drawing this guy.

Coloring him, too. I didn't need to use a SINGLE lighting effect on Ledas himself (though I still used one for the background). The color selection tool does wonders, and without it, there's no way I could've pulled off this frost covered look he has.

In set form, I suppose most of these parts would have blended colors, like Strakk's shoulder armor. Granted, that would be pretty excessive... but hey, it's just fun to color in drawings like this.

So, recognizable pieces... rounded Toa Inika feet, Toa Metru legs, the shield piece introduced in 2013... and that's it, really.

The thigh armor is the same that Toa Piras wears, but the plating on his shoulders and shins are two unique pieces. However, both of them could be arranged differently, depending on how you want another character to look. For example, the shoulder armor could make a decent shin guard for a stout, bulky character like a Toa of Earth. The chest armor is kinda plain compared to Piras', but I think it fits Ledas.

His weapon is kind of a mix of Gelu's BEAUTIFUL blades and Nuju's... things. I suppose these could stick to the bottom of Ledas' feet, similar to Nuju's weapons, but that may be redundant in the case of the quite huge Inika feet.

The mask took many, MANY attempts... dozens, even... to get right. For the longest time, I just didn't like how it looked. As some of you may know, this is the same mask worn by Toa Tuyet, a Toa of water... so, I wanted to make something that felt gender neutral, you know? Something you could just as easily imagine a Toa of Water wearing as anyone else, something I love about Tarix's helmet (he's a guy) and Toa Hahli Mahri's epic mask.

One personality trait I left out of this bio is that, while not an all out bad person, he is not above using his powers to cheat, even when simply sparring with his Toa brethren. I just didn't want to give a bad first impression of him... but I guess that's kind of moot, now.

At first, I wanted to make it look like he was "phasing" out of the background, emerging from the ice.. but I didn't want to spoil the frostiness, once I'd colored him. Still, I just love the idea of the guy moving through the ice... you could even say he spends most of his time IN it, like that's how he relaxes. Pretty spooky.

I've always wanted to emphasize just how much a Toa's element is a part of their... being, like they ARE that element. The old descriptions of Kopaka causing blizzards and stopping avalanches all by himself just made him soooo awesome

...Okay, NOW I'll get around to the Matoran. Truth be told, there isn't much world building left to be done before I can finally move on to the story itself! Isn't that exciting, after all this buildup?

That's it for today.

Beautiful job on Ledas. By far my favorite of the lineup. The kanohi really shows all the prep that went into its shape. I agree, toa really are like the physical embodiment of an elemental energy, and that makes them so cool. Of course, when youcthink of them as nanotech capable of regulating the laws of the universe that makes a fun twist too.

Yyyyyep. Thanks a bunch. I did admittedly put more work into that one than usual.

Anyway, here's another update! The first wave of Matoran sets... or not. Here's the higher res version, if you want a closer look at them. http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-WAVE-1-Matoran-Bios-425392381

matoran_wave_1_by_nickinamerica-d719kxn.

I've decided to release information of a few Matoran at a time, released in four waves or so, based on how relevant they are to the story.

Could you make a combiner figure from these three? maybe...

Here they are, each on their own.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/007/9/c/banhi_bio_by_nickinamerica-d719ras.png
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/007/6/2/tenius_bio_by_nickinamerica-d719rlw.png
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/007/b/5/trux_bio_by_nickinamerica-d719rm8.png

Anyway, I'm pretty proud of how these turned out... Banhi, especially. I was originally going to have her be a boy, but when I did some practice sketches of her headgear, and realized how beautiful it would look on a girl... yeah. Just like that, spur of the moment decision...

Interestingly, this sudden change may effect some developments I had planned for the better.

Anyway, with the whole progressing compromise of organic and mechanical body parts going on in most of these tribes, I thought it would be fun to mess with tradition just a little bit. For example, there will also be a few Ga-Matoran males. Not really gonna delve into how that works, but... then again, we've never really have to.

I'm really proud of Banhi's design, both in terms of proportion and her armor. Keeping in mind how short the Matoran tend to be, I wanted to give her burly, dwarfish proportions, and I think she's pretty sound. Here she is without the background to blend into. http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/007/b/3/banhi_by_nickinamerica-d719pbf.png

As for her job, I guess you could say this is what became of the mask makers of Vakama's time, this being yet another result of the Agori culture melding with the Matoran's ways. In the background (which I'll upload separately, sometime), there are two masks of shielding (2001 and 2008), a mask of concealment, a mask of sonar, and Malum's helmet. Just a tribute to past characters.

As for Tenius... while I'm most proud of Banhi's design, in some ways, I think Tenius is my favorite. I just loved the idea of making a meek, scrawny-looking Onu Matoran to contrast with all the tougher, burlier ones... and I had a LOT of fun redesigning the Kanohi Akaku to have this more industrial look.

As for Trux... I really don't have that much to say about him, though the whole thing about his height didn't come to mind until I realized that his head is much smaller than it should be for an average Matoran... but then again, he isn't, now. >wink<

Sorry that the backgrounds aren't much compared to the Toa and Turaga.

That's it for today. Not much left to go before we finally begin the story.

Feedback is appreciated.

I've been meaning to reply to this topic since I first saw it posted, but your drawing of Ledas really gives me a reason to. Overall, I really like your style. It's very complicated, but not overly so, and there is still a great flow in each of your designs.

I also like how much thought you put into designing the characters as they would appear in the sets. The parts you have designed look great, and I really wish that Lego had designed the three-piece armor you have in your other topic. While looking at them, I thought you may want to add in some holes near the heartlight that pieces such as Exo-Force robot hands can slide into, so instead of designing a completely new piece of armor for each new character, you could simply have a fire decal with a bar connector, an ice decal, and so on. These pieces could also be used elsewhere on the sets to add a bit more of an elemental feel. Just a thought.

I also have to admit that I am very jealous of the way you design the masks. It usually takes me quite a while to get a mask I like, and usually I end up making something so simple that it won't look very nice with all the other Lego parts and I end up hating it in the long run. Your mask designs look very nice, again complicated, but not overly so. In particular, I am a fan of the Su-Matoran masks. The knight look is very fitting, and you pull it off very well without repeating too much.

This is definitely a project I'll have to watch. I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Do you mean like... the Hero Factory 2.0 chest pieces?

Anyway, thanks.

I'll hopefully be able to upload the first entry in the story, today... but I'm not quite sure how to handle it. The actual chapter, with the illustrations, as one file, would just be too darn big to upload here without making it an awful looking JPEG... maybe I'll just post one panel at a time with text in between? I dunno...

Do you mean like... the Hero Factory 2.0 chest pieces?

Anyway, thanks.

I'll hopefully be able to upload the first entry in the story, today... but I'm not quite sure how to handle it. The actual chapter, with the illustrations, as one file, would just be too darn big to upload here without making it an awful looking JPEG... maybe I'll just post one panel at a time with text in between? I dunno...

Sort of. I was thinking a hole on each side of the heart light, so you could have two pieces to be used elsewhere. You could also attach other Lego pieces there, like the minifigure claw pieces, Exo-force hands and chainsaws or katanas, or those Ninjago blades to get interesting looks without even making a new piece.

And I can't wait to see the story. Based on how well you can create a character's appearance, I expect it to be great!

It's finally here, guys! Head on over to this thread to see the first Bionicle- Nova Orbis serial begin! You can find a link to it in the opening post. http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11507

But just this once, though, here's a freebie. http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/010/b/9/bionicle__n_o___mystery_of_the_toa_miro__prologue_by_nickinamerica-d71n2t6.png

Whatcha' think, so far?

panel_9_by_nickinamerica-d71n0ot.png

I just read the first chapter and, other than a few minor grammatical errors (Commas interfering with the flow of a sentence, for example), the entire story is golden. The concepts, the artwork, the overall look of the layout... It just looks and feels like an official BIONICLE story. I particularly enjoy how the characters remind me of the same style as the first three BIONICLE films. On top of that, you can see how most of the components would fit into the original BIONICLE system, especially the vehicle (I can almost envision it as a full LEGO set...).

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this project. The art and the writing just compliment each other in such a way even the original BIONICLE stuff didn't quite pull off (Although the 2006/2007/"All Our Sins Remembered" comics are pretty close).

As long as I have Internet access I'll be giving feedback on this. PLEASE don't drop the project, or at least finish the writing aspect.

And congratulations. Your story has officially made me quit lurking on BZP.

I just read the first chapter and, other than a few minor grammatical errors (Commas interfering with the flow of a sentence, for example), the entire story is golden. The concepts, the artwork, the overall look of the layout... It just looks and feels like an official BIONICLE story. I particularly enjoy how the characters remind me of the same style as the first three BIONICLE films. On top of that, you can see how most of the components would fit into the original BIONICLE system, especially the vehicle (I can almost envision it as a full LEGO set...).

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this project. The art and the writing just compliment each other in such a way even the original BIONICLE stuff didn't quite pull off (Although the 2006/2007/"All Our Sins Remembered" comics are pretty close).

As long as I have Internet access I'll be giving feedback on this. PLEASE don't drop the project, or at least finish the writing aspect.

And congratulations. Your story has officially made me quit lurking on BZP.

Yeah, sorry about that. I don't even know what mistakes I've made, aside from a few spelling errors that I have fixed.

The problem is that I've been working on comics for so long now (about seven years) and it's been so long since I've had to write any PROPERLY written dialog that, well... I've completely forgotten how to. I'm used to everything being surrounded by word bubbles, and I feel like such a numbskull for it. I'll do better next time, though.

Anyway, thanks for everything. I don't plan on quitting any time soon, but just keep in mind that I still have comics (and videos) to work on along with this, sooooo... yeah, I'm going to be pretty busy. I'll try to finish the next entry over the weekend, though.

Oh... and I'd LOVE it if someone actually made a Kegan MOC.

Just a quick preview of the next chapter... which I'm sorry to say WON'T be finished tomorrow, as I'd hoped. Still, for now, there's this.

le_koro_by_nickinamerica-d71xjux.jpg

They're like... giant bird houses.

Lately, I've been using the "noise" tool to get rid of the smudginess of the lines, but this time, I forgot to use it before applying the lighting effects. Whoops. Oh well...

On another note, here's a crazy new Kanohi I whipped up.

calor_s_mask1_by_nickinamerica-d71xjtg.j

I must've drawn, like, fifty masks before I finally had the result I wanted. It usually doesn't take that many attempts for me to be satisfied with a design... just two or three, most of the time... but dang, it was worth it.

Now, if only I could decide what its power should be...

Wow. I like the look of the new Kanohi and the Koro. May I suggest it's power be Thermal Heating. Heats up an area or object the wearer desires.

That's a neat idea, but... it's nothing a Toa of fire couldn't already do, so no matter who wears it, it kind of feels redundant. However, someone on DA suggested making it the Mask of Incorporeal flame, turning the wearer itself into fire, and... that's just way too cool to pass up.

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery of The Toa Miro- Chapter 3 is online! Head over to the comics forum if you wanna read it. http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11507&do=findComment&comment=642541

panel_5_by_nickinamerica-d76pio7.jpg

The journey begins~

Time for some new character art! Here's Toa Venti's Bio!

toa_venti_bio_by_nickinamerica-d77oogu.j

...Unfortunately, I've compressed it to the point that it's kinda hard to look at, so here's the higher-res version. http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-Toa-Venti-Bio-436170657

So yeah, there's a lot more going on with this than the earlier Toa Bios. I'll try to make ones for the other three new Toa between releasing the actual chapters of the story, when I have time for it. So yeah, the piece at the top would be the boxart on a canister... box... candy bag... whatever... and the shots of the mask and Toa Venti just standing would be on the back.

I wanted to make this boxart reminiscent of how the Toa were Portrayed in the first four years of Bionicle. The Toa Mata/Nuva and Toa Metru looked so cool when complimented by the scenery and how they were interacting with it. Swimming, flying, surfing, all that stuff! From 2005 onwards, they mostly just... stood around or ran toward the viewer, all six characters using the the same backgrounds in 2006-8, and similar, mostly the same backgrounds in 2005 and 2009, making the characters themselves less distinct (though not as badly in 2009's winter wave. The Legends wave and Stars Wave were where they just stopped trying.). I hope I've captured that old-school spirit with this.

And I understand that making the characters stand and not do things makes them easier to see, so that's why I included such a shot at the bottom. I just miss that... LIFE they used to have. If showed that you were getting a whole world to go along with these guys, one that felt as "real" as they did.

For those who want a closer look at each component of this piece without the text and clutter...

Here's Venti standing. http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/054/7/e/venti_0001_by_nickinamerica-d77omh4.png

Here's Venti flying. http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/054/0/4/venti_by_nickinamerica-d77oldo.png

Here's Venti's mask. http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/054/1/8/venti_0003_by_nickinamerica-d77ooq9.png

Here's Venti's "boxart". http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/054/f/a/venti_0004_by_nickinamerica-d77omt3.png

Feedback is appreciated.

Wait... do you draw these with a mouse or tablet?

Also, can we look forward to seeing more landscapes? I just think that those are so cool, sort of like what Faber did, helping flesh out the environment of a mythical world.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Wait... do you draw these with a mouse or tablet?

Also, can we look forward to seeing more landscapes? I just think that those are so cool, sort of like what Faber did, helping flesh out the environment of a mythical world.

Neither. I use paper and pencils.

Drawing all of this with a mouse would be EXCRUTIATING and take forever to do. Anyway, thanks. Yes, there will be more landscapes.