Do Kongu's dual Cordak make sense?

So, I was looking around at photos of the Toa Mahri (trust me, I spend my time wisely! I do!) when I had a thought. Why would Kongu have two Cordak Revolving Blasters? I know there was a lot of controversy over the fact that in the story he discarded a melee weapon of unknown origin, and a topic started where members debated what it could have been/what they thought it was.

Now, I decided to read up on the Mahri (not because I had no idea of their story, but as a refresher) and as it says the reason Kongu took a second blaster was to be better prepared. Now, honestly, between six rocket launchers, you're prepared as is, so why take a 7th? Well, I have a couple of theories as to why.

1. He knows long range weaponry. This made sense considering he's always used Bamboo disks back on Mata Nui, and ended up having an Energized Crossbow on Voya Nui. He knows how to hit his targets, so it may be that he isn't used to close quarters combat. To be honest, I don't believe we've ever seen him with a melee weapon. He may have used one, sure, but I can't remember seeing him with one.

2. It was the natural progression of his set. You see, I looked at the Mahri's weapons in comparison to the Inika's, and saw a slight pattern. Granted, it may be coincidence, but I thought it may contribute. When you look at what weapons they had/have, you see that they transformed to something similar to their prior tool. Jaller had (dual in story) a sword which turned into... Another sword, no surprise. Hahli had a harpoon which turned into a giant claw. Hewkii had an axe which had a shape unlike most axes, which then turned into a blade on a stick, but still retained a very streamline look. Nuparu was supposed to have a weapon that ended up looking like this, which if it was to resemble that shape would look similar to his drill. Matoro is a tad bit of an odd ball, since he had a sword that turned into awkward hooks. But following this, considering Kongu had a crossbow (a ranged weapon), is it hard to believe that having a second blaster would make sense?

I dunno if I'm just over thinking it or just seeing things, so that's why I decided to post this topic. What do you guys think? Does this make sense to you, or do you think he just should have gone with the flow (no pun intended) and kept a mysterious melee weapon?

sig.png

• Upvote 1

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

I wouldn't say there was "controversy" -- it was designed to get noticed, so people talking about it is exactly what LEGO wanted -- and wondering what the rejected melee weapon was doesn't mean you have to think he should have kept it. I suppose a few thought it was bad, but it makes sense there would be variety among Toa; they shouldn't logically all be cookie cutters. (And Vakama 04 was kinda similar. It was well established by that time that Toa didn't really need melee weapons to focus their powers, they just helped, and Vakama often didn't use the launcher for that, focusing through his hands.)

Anyways, I agree with the idea that as Gukko Force Captain, and the one we see in MNOG whose Second was to fire bamboo disks from Ka (in-game, with unlimited ammo), it makes sense that he has a preference for projectiles versus melee. He also got a mask that could summon anything nearby, including huge beasts, that would be just as dangerous to him as to his enemies, so it makes sense to have a bit of extra self-defense.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Don't forget that he could channel his Air powers through the Cordak Blasters like a Toa Tool (in my headcanon it wouldnt be as effective since it's not really one of its main purposes). Yeah it makes sense that he would have a preference for projectile weapons, and as Bonesiii said sets like Vakama helped to establish that Toa don't need Toa Tools.

I wouldn't say there was "controversy" -- it was designed to get noticed, so people talking about it is exactly what LEGO wanted -- and wondering what the rejected melee weapon was doesn't mean you have to think he should have kept it. I suppose a few thought it was bad, but it makes sense there would be variety among Toa; they shouldn't logically all be cookie cutters. (And Vakama 04 was kinda similar. It was well established by that time that Toa didn't really need melee weapons to focus their powers, they just helped, and Vakama often didn't use the launcher for that, focusing through his hands.)

Anyways, I agree with the idea that as Gukko Force Captain, and the one we see in MNOG whose Second was to fire bamboo disks from Ka (in-game, with unlimited ammo), it makes sense that he has a preference for projectiles versus melee. He also got a mask that could summon anything nearby, including huge beasts, that would be just as dangerous to him as to his enemies, so it makes sense to have a bit of extra self-defense.

Hm, maybe it was just controversy in his design then, I dunno. I remember people having great issue with him for some reason. And yeah, I know Vakama had his giant disk launcher, but that was at a time variety of weapons and it wasn't standard for Toa to have a tool as well as a launcher.

Don't forget that he could channel his Air powers through the Cordak Blasters like a Toa Tool (in my headcanon it wouldnt be as effective since it's not really one of its main purposes). Yeah it makes sense that he would have a preference for projectile weapons, and as Bonesiii said sets like Vakama helped to establish that Toa don't need Toa Tools.

Oh yeah, I didn't forget that bit at all. And actually, I'd say channeling his air powers underwater would be even more effective. If Hahli was the strongest underwater, Kongu was the second strongest, since he could take away anyone's ability to breath underwater. The only thing with Vakama though is that people didn't see that as a launcher. That was a standard Toa tool. Honestly, all of these weapons are, but back in 2004 that wasn't considered a side arm like it would be for the Toa Mahri or Toa Inika. So with this, it's a tad more confusing.

As far as I'm aware, it's a simple answer:

"Two hands."

Just because you have two hands doesn't mean you should carry around two 2× 27 mm Mauser BK-27 revolver cannons, does it? That answer doesn't help any, which is why I thought this would make for an interesting topic.

sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

probably to "look cool". Sure you can dual wield two rocket launchers, but it seems about as productive as wielding two bows. Sure you might be able to fire off ammo, but once you need to reload it becomes useless.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

"Two hands."

Just because you have two hands doesn't mean you should carry around two 2× 27 mm Mauser BK-27 revolver cannons, does it? That answer doesn't help any, which is why I thought this would make for an interesting topic.

sig.png

It's Kongu Logic. Kongu's reason for doing so. Kongu didn't feel like spending the next hour deciding what's the most logical or sensible choice. Whether it was a good idea or not, Kongu wanted two blasters over a blaster and a blade.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I always belive that Kongu's Toa Tool was that weird... Spear?... Shield? in the 2008 minifigs sets. The thing looks impractical, and the Ignika changed the Toa Inika for better, maybe he gave Kongu a uselees weapon on purpose knowing that he would take a second Cordak Blaster. Also, the Ignika made Kongu VERY big for a agile Toa of Air... The extra muscle mass would help with double recoil damage.

Velika is Love. Velika is Life. Velika did NOTHING wrong.

Proud fan of Rebecca Black, BabyMetal and Protector Of Fire's Son.

"Two hands."

sig.png

It's Kongu Logic. Kongu's reason for doing so. Kongu didn't feel like spending the next hour deciding what's the most logical or sensible choice. Whether it was a good idea or not, Kongu wanted two blasters over a blaster and a blade.

"Kongu Logic" doesn't answer anything. And I'd agree on the whole deciding thing if it wasn't for the fact he ditched his melee weapon before the Toa even found the Cordak.

It's Kongu Logic.

Kongu Logic XD this should be a thing

Yeah Kongu seems fairly likely to make an impulsive decision like that tbh

Yeah, it did seem rather impulsive, which is why I thought it was odd and wanted some other opinions on it. =P

I always belive that Kongu's Toa Tool was that weird... Spear?... Shield? in the 2008 minifigs sets. The thing looks impractical, and the Ignika changed the Toa Inika for better, maybe he gave Kongu a uselees weapon on purpose knowing that he would take a second Cordak Blaster. Also, the Ignika made Kongu VERY big for a agile Toa of Air... The extra muscle mass would help with double recoil damage.

It was never really confirmed what weapon he had. As far as I know, all the minifig weapons were just placeholders and not exactly canon. Least, the 06 - 07 ones weren't. And yeah, I like that other idea. Maybe the Ignika knew they would come across the blasters, and made him very suited for two. Good idea!

sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

trust me, I spend my time wisely! I do!

Uh... don't you spend time reviewing old BIONICLE sets for TTV? :P

Anyway, he's under the sea, where there are a lot of creatures that could be above him, all around him, etc., so he may need the range.

If I'm not mistaken, that image you linked to for Nuparu's weapon was actually fanmade and cannonized in a contest. The prototype, if I recall correctly, had a Brutaka blade for the weapon. A bit off topic, sorry :P

I think most of the controversy came less from practicality and more because the swords and axes and stuff just plain looked cooler. And, not sure about you, but I had a heck of a time trying to get those darn Cordaks to fire as a kid.

And, not sure about you, but I had a heck of a time trying to get those darn Cordaks to fire as a kid.

They work better underwater, you know. ;)

I tried them underwater as a kid, and, interestingly enough, they worked. However, they also got filled with water, and I was afraid of rusting the springs.

I guess his mask was supposed to be used to summon a rahi to occupy the opponent at a melee distance while his cordaks were for ranged attack where the beast and his enemy are fighting. That seemed to be a very effective fighting technique.

What do I write here?

Someone, say something funny so you can be remembered for posterity.

I guess his mask was supposed to be used to summon a rahi to occupy the opponent at a melee distance while his cordaks were for ranged attack where the beast and his enemy are fighting. That seemed to be a very effective fighting technique.

I could see that working. I wonder if he knew the full power of his mask when he picked up the second Cordak though...

And as we know sometimes the summoned Rahi would start to smash things in general even if the summoner was in the way, so it wasn't exactly a Mask of Rahi Control, just a mask of "make a scene"

• 6 months later...

It's seems like a good fighting style

TEEN TITANS Truth,Justice,andPizza!

It's seems like a good fighting style

Please do not post in topics that have been inactive for sixty days or more. Revived topic closed.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)